1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9098
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: I didn't know you were a tree, KarMann! Are you at least a hat-tree?

As it happens, I do have a coat-and-hat stand recently, but, umm, no, that's not quite what I meant. :oops: Must be the old-timers' disease getting to me.

Or maybe you have a brain-eating amoeba? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, as Cueball seems to be okay and he's had one for newpix and newpix now.

OldTimers is definitely my new favorite OTTism for those who have been posting since the dawn (or at least the early morning, maybe even the mid-morning) of Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 am UTC

HI! I posted a hat on the previous NewPage -- it's nearly at the bottom, so I don't know if it was seen.
Comatime!

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5579
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 14, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Hmm there's a userscript error on my previous post:
"Last edited by Eternal Density at newpix 208033.00 B.T., 2013 14:19:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total."

buffygirl: I saw the hat 8-)
Um, we really need a hatted Smiley.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 14, 2013 4:23 am UTC

KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: I didn't know you were a tree, KarMann! Are you at least a hat-tree?

As it happens, I do have a coat-and-hat stand recently, but, umm, no, that's not quite what I meant. :oops: Must be the old-timers' disease getting to me.


Alztimers is a hell of a neurodegenerative illness.
Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6858
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue May 14, 2013 4:34 am UTC

mescha wrote:... why don't we compare first OTT posts?
My first post here, on page 454, was to congratulate BlitzGirl on her awesome Pilgrimage.
ucim, at the start of his first post here, wrote:Welcome BlitzGirl! I have been Waiting For It since the Beginning Of Time, and have done so in humble and quiet contemplation. But the glorious culmination of your quest has made me realize that, just as without black there is no white, and without the sea there is no shore, thus also without sound there is no silence...
I consecrated the Gospel of BlitzGirl, and bestowed upon her the title of BlitzGirl the First. I asked her for any words of wisdom she might have given her Questing experience; she replied here with words that should never be forgotten.

Vytron wrote:Ah! Ah! Thank you! It'll be a honor to be titled as a True Pilgrim of Time! I hope to live up to the title!
Indeed, you are a True Pilgrim of Time. We have several to be so honored, and I am making the necessary preparations for a proper service.

Vytron wrote:Also, I haven't seen this before, it seems BliztGirl is also Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First, Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First the First?, if my recursion of the title is correct.
No recursion. BlitzGirl (if she hasn't forsaken her title, as it has disappeared from her enormous listing of well-deserved honors), is BlitzGirl the First. She is the first BlitzGirl the First, and also the only one that can ever be. Now, BlitzGirl the First is a title; so using it as a prefix, she could be "BlitzGirl the First" BlitzGirl. So...

BlitzGirl the First BlitzGirl, the first BlitzGirl the First is the only BlitzGirl who is a BlitzGirl the First.

Buffalo Buffalo and all.

@StratPlayer - Truly awesome pogeeketry!

RobIrr, here, on page 196, wrote:Phew ... <delurk> started reading this thread when it was "only" 70-odd pages long. Finally reached the end.
Whoa! A BlitzGirl in the fossil record! (And during the madness to boot!) This must be commemorated!

@HAL9000 - yes, I liked the "now shush" part too. :)

ChronosDragon wrote:A tree! A tree! I don't know why I'm so excited about a small piece of deciduous (or is that coniferous?) vegetation!
Carnivorous, maybe?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:40 am UTC

ucim wrote:@HAL9000 - yes, I liked the "now shush" part too. :)
Jose

And it's back now, too!
ETA: coma coma coma chameleon who am I kidding I'm not going to sleep yet
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 14, 2013 4:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 am UTC

*blind-panoramaing*
Now with Tree™.
Attachments
Time_Panorama_3.png
Newpix 1150-1320.
Last edited by azule on Tue May 14, 2013 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Ebonite
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 14, 2013 4:59 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Oh, and old computers again: OK, legit answer -- I didn't get first real computer until the mid 1980's. Before that I just hung out on the school's mainframe (Moria on the VAX, anyone?) But the first one I bought myself was one of the original Macs, upgraded to 512k, then later upgraded to the double-sided floppy drive, and then later I added an external GIGANTIC 10 Meg hard drive. The original Macs just had the floppy. Why would you EVER need more storage than can fit on a floppy disk???

Moria?! Wow, that takes me back. I played all of those rogue-like games: rogue, nethack, larn, and yes, moria.

I think I still have a version of nethack installed on this laptop.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 am UTC

WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 14, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:...(snip)
buffygirl: I saw the hat 8-)
Um, we really need a hatted Smiley.

=|:-)

*<:-)

You don't like the old-fashioned ones? ;-)
Last edited by mathrec on Tue May 14, 2013 5:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:21 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Hmm there's a userscript error on my previous post:
"Last edited by Eternal Density at newpix 208033.00 B.T., 2013 14:19:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total."

buffygirl: I saw the hat 8-)
Um, we really need a hatted Smiley.

=|:-)

*<:-)

You don't like the old-fashioned ones? ;-)

{]:-)
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. d=)
Last edited by slinches on Tue May 14, 2013 5:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 am UTC

slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue May 14, 2013 5:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
KarMann
As far as the hats go, I think it's safe to say that I'm pretty well set. Unless my hat, pre-dating Time itself, needs a hat of its own??
Posts: 916
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am UTC
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA, far from river and sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby KarMann » Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
KarMann wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:ETA: I didn't know you were a tree, KarMann! Are you at least a hat-tree?

As it happens, I do have a coat-and-hat stand recently, but, umm, no, that's not quite what I meant. :oops: Must be the old-timers' disease getting to me.

Or maybe you have a brain-eating amoeba? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, as Cueball seems to be okay and he's had one for newpix and newpix now.

I'll repeat what I said when this was coming up before:
KarMann wrote:
Spoiler:
Copernicium112 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and that brain-eating amoeba seems to finally have gotten to Cueball.

Brief consultation of the brain extension reveals that said amoeba takes on average 120 newpix to cause symptoms, although they may appear after only 24. Confusion and hallucinations must be setting in. Of course, who knows what strain lives in the River. Food for thought.

Also apologies if this has been discussed. I have some remaining cataracts from an unthorough ketchup.

Nasty stuff. I'd heard about it before, but not read the more detailed stuff, like . . . (gross stuff warning)
Wikipedia wrote:
Spoiler:
From there, the amoeba climbs along nerve fibers through the floor of the cranium via the cribriform plate and into the brain. The organism begins to consume cells of the brain piecemeal by means of a unique sucking apparatus extended from its cell surface.

:shock:

Food for thought, indeed.

So, even if Cueball seems fine for the moment, thanks, but not thanks. I'll worry! :shock:

Also, it seems it hasn't been noticed that CueGan's passage seems to have had some effect on the tree. I had some confusion trying to follow mscha's style for showing it, but here's the overall effect:
time-tree.png
time-tree.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 16002 times

Not sure if they stripped some leaves from it, or if it's just swaying in their wake. There does seem to be an overall reduction in dark pixels (that would be red).
P.S. I am Randall, but not that Randall.
We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better … stronger … well, maybe not faster.
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.
Magdiragdag wrote:I wait for it, therefore I am.
Illud expecto, ergo sum.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:30 am UTC

KarMann wrote:<snip>
Not sure if they stripped some leaves from it, or if it's just swaying in their wake. There does seem to be an overall reduction in dark pixels (that would be red).

Megan is looking at her hand (or more likely, something in it). My theory is that she grabbed a leaf or two from the tree.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9098
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 14, 2013 5:33 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Vytron wrote:Also, I haven't seen this before, it seems BliztGirl is also Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First, Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First the First?, if my recursion of the title is correct.
No recursion. BlitzGirl (if she hasn't forsaken her title, as it has disappeared from her enormous listing of well-deserved honors), is BlitzGirl the First. She is the first BlitzGirl the First, and also the only one that can ever be. Now, BlitzGirl the First is a title; so using it as a prefix, she could be "BlitzGirl the First" BlitzGirl. So...

BlitzGirl the First BlitzGirl, the first BlitzGirl the First is the only BlitzGirl who is a BlitzGirl the First.

Oh good. Perhaps I have been buffaloing too many Buffalo buffalo, but that sentence made perfect sense to me!

Perhaps the tree was a berry bush?

Hatted smiley party!


ImageImageImageImage
Image
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage



Time-related smileys!

Image The Pope
Image Knights Temporal Image
Various Timewaiters - - Image - - Image - - Image

Drinking Semencoffeecancerbabies Image
Raptor Attack VictimImage
The Heretic Image


---edits to remove dead smileys. pixels to pixels, dust to dust.---
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat May 14, 2016 5:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ucim wrote:
Vytron wrote:Also, I haven't seen this before, it seems BliztGirl is also Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First, Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl, Blitzgirl the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First, the first (and only) Blitzgirl the First the First the First the First?, if my recursion of the title is correct.
No recursion. BlitzGirl (if she hasn't forsaken her title, as it has disappeared from her enormous listing of well-deserved honors), is BlitzGirl the First. She is the first BlitzGirl the First, and also the only one that can ever be. Now, BlitzGirl the First is a title; so using it as a prefix, she could be "BlitzGirl the First" BlitzGirl. So...

BlitzGirl the First BlitzGirl, the first BlitzGirl the First is the only BlitzGirl who is a BlitzGirl the First.

Oh good. Perhaps I have been buffaloing too many Buffalo buffalo, but that sentence made perfect sense to me!

Perhaps the tree was a berry bush?

Hatted smiley party!

Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage



Time-related smileys!

Image The Pope
ImageKnights Temporal Image
Various Timewaiters - - Image - - Image - - Image

Drinking Semencoffeecancerbabies Image
Raptor Attack VictimImage
The Heretic Image

Oh my god I love you for this <3
I'm keeping this post bookmarked so I can keep using them.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 5:36 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.

I tried that once during college ... I'm still trying to recover my sanity. HEED THE ALT-TEXT!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 am UTC

slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.

I tried that once during college ... I'm still trying to recover my sanity. HEED THE ALT-TEXT!

Well, I think I'm quite crazy enough already. After all, I do follow this thread and post in it rather actively.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 14, 2013 5:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Hatted smiley party!

Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage



Time-related smileys!

Image The Pope
ImageKnights Temporal Image
Various Timewaiters - - Image - - Image - - Image

Drinking Semencoffeecancerbabies Image
Raptor Attack VictimImage
The Heretic Image

Embedded images...cheater! (Cool images though. Thanks.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Also, it seems it hasn't been noticed that CueGan's passage seems to have had some effect on the tree. I had some confusion trying to follow mscha's style for showing it, but here's the overall effect:
Image
Not sure if they stripped some leaves from it, or if it's just swaying in their wake. There does seem to be an overall reduction in dark pixels (that would be red).


So upon encountering the only other living thing on their journey so far, Megan mutilates it and stares at its shriveled appendage in her hand. If she continues to say nothing, I can only conclude she is a psychopath.

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Oh, and old computers again: OK, legit answer -- I didn't get first real computer until the mid 1980's. Before that I just hung out on the school's mainframe (Moria on the VAX, anyone?) But the first one I bought myself was one of the original Macs, upgraded to 512k, then later upgraded to the double-sided floppy drive, and then later I added an external GIGANTIC 10 Meg hard drive. The original Macs just had the floppy. Why would you EVER need more storage than can fit on a floppy disk???

Moria?! Wow, that takes me back. I played all of those rogue-like games: rogue, nethack, larn, and yes, moria.

I think I still have a version of nethack installed on this laptop.

Since we're talking about old computers now, my first computer was a Sinclair Timex 1000 - 1K memory, just about to hold one short page of DOS programming. It really taught one to be frugal with code.
Last edited by Davidy on Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue May 14, 2013 5:42 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Alright -- caught up now, at the expense of the work-related obligations (priorities!), and just a few things to comment on:

A FirstPost thrown ahead:
Ace wrote:Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

Welcome, Ace!

ucim wrote:[exterior - dawn]
Fade in to reveal the sunrise behind some mostly barren hills, which are still covered in morning mist....

Fabulous!!!

Wow -- I also see Her Holy Hatress, Benevolent Benefactor of Beautiful Bonnets, Marvelous Maker of Magnificent Millinery, Honorable Hottie of Heavenly Headgear, Charming Chick of Choice Chapeaus has been very, very busy! I must say, you've done some amazing work, your Cardinalship!

And I also really loved your "Wait for It' parody! *applause*

Plus, speaking of buffygirl, this just in from the Effective-But-Ironic department:
buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Please stick to the needle-pulled thing rules.

Not to argue with the rules, but I think mscha's comment was specific to posting the ONG. I am not sure if it's easier for the newpixbot, or the rest of us, but this is a special case. The hourly ONG doesn't exist anywhere else. I think the occasional double post is not horrible, especially if it helps the newpixbot.

You have no idea what "needle-pulled thing" means, do you?
You have much to learn from the elders, young one.

I thought I did, but please enlighten me.

This.
Literally.
This sequence of posts you're reading right now.
Forget the rest of the forum.
This is the needle-pulled thing.
This is it.

Now I'll go back to singing boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada...

Ok, the needle pulls the thread. That's how I have been reading it. (I have assumed this is from the madness, but I don't really know.)
What I don't understand: How is telling me I don't know this relative to my comment that we may have a valid exception to the double post rule? Am I missing something?

Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.

Uhhh, did anyone besides me happen to notice that this reply to a proto-flame-war over double-posting ettiquette was a double-post?

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:I wish StratPlayer would show up so I could ask him what he would say instead of having to keep asking myself!

Well, of course, I would first,

*nod head knowingly*

and then say:

See? It's ALL related!


Plus thanks! Your wishing for my presence is a wonderful present to be given!


...and current once again -- let the Waiting return to normal speed...

As well as presenting hats and Danging1, this Tread should also ignore the double posting rule1 if the poster is kvetching up - they (or he or she) can't be expected to skip to the end to make sure they (or, you know) haven't double posted because one shouldn't glimpse the future.

I just finished watching firefly1 and serenity. Sorry if that spoils it for anyone.

1 past version of Dong
1 a rule, I spose, because a double post once made someone cry
1 I never liked cowboys in space


Oh yes, and now we know where chess comes from.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:45 am UTC

KarMann wrote:Also, it seems it hasn't been noticed that CueGan's passage seems to have had some effect on the tree. I had some confusion trying to follow mscha's style for showing it, but here's the overall effect:
time-tree.png

Not sure if they stripped some leaves from it, or if it's just swaying in their wake. There does seem to be an overall reduction in dark pixels (that would be red).

Seems to me that Megan stuck her hand out and brushed it as she passed. Maybe testing to see if its real or not... Or is she just imaging an actual tree. Also looks like she has some of it in her hand now.

Edit: Either that or she is updating her facebook status on her smart phone. "Megan: Just touched a tree."
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue May 14, 2013 5:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Alright -- caught up now, at the expense of the work-related obligations (priorities!), and just a few things to comment on:

A FirstPost thrown ahead:
Ace wrote:Hellooo ketchuppers, newbie here. You trekking types might be the first to read my first post, after it gets out of moderation! Been following the thread since the beginning, only just decided to create an account, since the OTT seems quieter these days.

Of course, I got sidetracked while typing this, and I come back to find the OTC has discovered life. Just when you think things are finally calm.. :roll:

Welcome, Ace!

ucim wrote:[exterior - dawn]
Fade in to reveal the sunrise behind some mostly barren hills, which are still covered in morning mist....

Fabulous!!!

Wow -- I also see Her Holy Hatress, Benevolent Benefactor of Beautiful Bonnets, Marvelous Maker of Magnificent Millinery, Honorable Hottie of Heavenly Headgear, Charming Chick of Choice Chapeaus has been very, very busy! I must say, you've done some amazing work, your Cardinalship!

And I also really loved your "Wait for It' parody! *applause*

Plus, speaking of buffygirl, this just in from the Effective-But-Ironic department:
buffygirl wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
vvn wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Please stick to the needle-pulled thing rules.

Not to argue with the rules, but I think mscha's comment was specific to posting the ONG. I am not sure if it's easier for the newpixbot, or the rest of us, but this is a special case. The hourly ONG doesn't exist anywhere else. I think the occasional double post is not horrible, especially if it helps the newpixbot.

You have no idea what "needle-pulled thing" means, do you?
You have much to learn from the elders, young one.

I thought I did, but please enlighten me.

This.
Literally.
This sequence of posts you're reading right now.
Forget the rest of the forum.
This is the needle-pulled thing.
This is it.

Now I'll go back to singing boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada...

Ok, the needle pulls the thread. That's how I have been reading it. (I have assumed this is from the madness, but I don't really know.)
What I don't understand: How is telling me I don't know this relative to my comment that we may have a valid exception to the double post rule? Am I missing something?

Ok, hush. both of you. I am concerned because maybe this is what the first part of a flame war looks like.

Uhhh, did anyone besides me happen to notice that this reply to a proto-flame-war over double-posting ettiquette was a double-post?

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:I wish StratPlayer would show up so I could ask him what he would say instead of having to keep asking myself!

Well, of course, I would first,

*nod head knowingly*

and then say:

See? It's ALL related!


Plus thanks! Your wishing for my presence is a wonderful present to be given!


...and current once again -- let the Waiting return to normal speed...

As well as presenting hats and Danging1, this Tread should also ignore the double posting rule1 if the poster is kvetching up - they (or he or she) can't be expected to skip to the end to make sure they (or, you know) haven't double posted because one shouldn't glimpse the future.

I just finished watching firefly1 and serenity. Sorry if that spoils it for anyone.

1 past version of Dong
1 a rule, I spose, because a double post once made someone cry
1 I never liked cowboys in space


Oh yes, and now we know where chess comes from.

Well, Ketchupers tend to lump their responses into one post anyways.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 5:47 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.

I tried that once during college ... I'm still trying to recover my sanity. HEED THE ALT-TEXT!

Well, I think I'm quite crazy enough already. After all, I do follow this thread and post in it rather actively.

If post count in the OTT is an accurate gauge of insanity, then you're >6.5x crazier than I am. Maybe it'll work for you. It surely couldn't hurt. Think about how awesome you'll look eventually with a perfectly flat post count vs. Time of day plot!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 am UTC

slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
slinches wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:WitchONG hour here. (that would be midnight)
Spoiler:
Image

Still only 10:23 here in UTC -7 land. It took me a minute to figure out that you're probably in CDT. I've never been able to figure out why most of the country deludes itself into thinking changing the clocks by an hour twice a year is a good idea. :D

It eludes me as well, but I conform because I must. Eventually, if my work allows it, I may just ignore DST, or try an even more radical system of Outside time.

I tried that once during college ... I'm still trying to recover my sanity. HEED THE ALT-TEXT!

Well, I think I'm quite crazy enough already. After all, I do follow this thread and post in it rather actively.

If post count in the OTT is an accurate gauge of insanity, then you're >6.5x crazier than I am. Maybe it'll work for you. It surely couldn't hurt. Think about how awesome you'll look eventually with a perfectly flat post count vs. Time of day plot!

Straight lines... so... perfect.
It will make me feel warm inside.
Yes.
This is a good idea.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue May 14, 2013 5:50 am UTC

(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue May 14, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:While it appears that the dunes/hills have gotten smaller until they're mere bumps underfoot, I like to think Megan and Cueball have grown larger instead, and they're now covering a kilocue1 every frame or two.2

1That's assuming the cue retains its original magnitude, rather than changing every time Cueball changes size. Basing units of measure on body proportions does have these little drawbacks.
2Maybe just symbolically, to show a long journey in a few hundred frames.3
3Because when the slower-than-realtime presentation of the OTC meets the narrative convention of showing travel much faster than realtime,4 who knows how it will work out? If they travel for in-world "days," we might be watching for outside "years," unless some alteration of the time or distance scales is occurring.
4Though, I've often thought that a realtime version of Lord of the Rings would be interesting, if only it were possible. Couldn't a filmmaker make some deals with some New Zealand through-hikers or something?

For the same reason toast always lands butter side down, Cueball cannot grow - the gluons holding his head pixels together (and apart) could not withstand a fall from a height greater than one q. Any taller and one trip would turn him to beach.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:57 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

That just means your not crazy enough yet HAL. Keep posting faster!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

That just means your not crazy enough yet HAL. Keep posting faster!

YES YES YES
this is a good idea
Spoiler:
Image


methinks the Midnight Madness has gotten to me.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Measured the normal length of her arm and that is something extra she is holding

hand.png
hand.png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 15934 times
Last edited by Latent22 on Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Measured the normal length of her arm and that is something extra she is holding

hand.png

It seems unlikely the plant is a form of cactus then. She should be screaming in pain by now if it were.
Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:12 am UTC

Cueball assumes the lead position. I wonder if Megan will catch up soon, or if her retrieval of the leaf has put her behind for a while?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
tman2nd
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere south of the North Poll

Chapter 5 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Progress: 31/610 (-352 pages)

A lot has happened over the last 17 pages. Cueball left resulting in the first "last" frame. Eventually he returned and Meagan left. At my present, Time has not ended with the introduction of The Past as some thought it would. It is interesting to see how amazed people are that the OTT has 31 pages. That's only about 5% of the current total. There are a lot of posters who are actively posting here in your past who aren't in the present I left behind. I wonder what happened to them. :?

Hopefully I'll be able to get a lot more waiting done tomorrow.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

Wait for it, Hal. Wait for it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

Wait for it, Hal. Wait for it.

I'll try.
Also holy cow I've been posting a lot recently. Almost ONE THIRD of this page's posts are from me (13/40). I think I may try to slow it down a little, or up the dosage on my medication.
Also, EndPope! Huzzah!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
mathrec
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:30 am UTC
Location: Carlsbad, California
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 14, 2013 6:24 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
mathrec wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

Wait for it, Hal. Wait for it.

I'll try.
...

I should have said: "Wait for it", Hal. It means "Wait for it."
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:27 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
mathrec wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Exodies wrote:(Inspired by StratPlayer's sig) OTCAT

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand this post.

Wait for it, Hal. Wait for it.

I'll try.
...

I should have said: "Wait for it", Hal. It means "Wait for it."

Oh, okay. I knew that all along.
no really guys I did.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 93 guests