1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Thu May 16, 2013 1:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Just reporting I opened a gate from page 617, so I have no idea what happened between there and here (and I won't go back; I have no Time for this).
So, did the First Cleric saga get a Chapter 4?

Yes

P.S. Heretic! :wink:

Hey. If we're going to be critical of Blitzposts, we shouldn't also be critical when people skip to the present. I've skipped a combined total of almost 200 NP, and I'm doing fine here in the present (40ish and then 80ish back when the thread was going too fast {the 40-page skipped pages from only one day!}, and 70ish after I got back from vacation).

I winked! I didn't mean it :oops:
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 1:16 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And if I may provide one of my own (actually my own, just drew and animated it now) for condiment usage... Image

Wow! Both you and Smithers have righteous GIF skills! Image

Again, Hal might have difficulty with humor and/or jokes, as these are traditionally human foibles.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu May 16, 2013 1:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:And if I may provide one of my own (actually my own, just drew and animated it now) for condiment usage... Image

I need that ketchup one again...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
edfel wrote:(do American people also measure steepiness in %? or is there a "miles a 10lb circular stone would roll during 0.78 minutes" unit?)
Nope, it's %. Rise / run. I know "we" (I for one welcome our metric system overlords) screw up some units pretty bad, but that one's pretty hard to obfuscate.
I've heard Americans also use feet per mile4 (for railroads anyway), but I don't know if it's mile of track, or mile of horizontal distance. Feet per chain is also used... which is interesting because "chain" is itself a variable unit.

All these odd units have their place, and I found a wonderful website which explained all of this, and why certain arcane units were actually far superior (in their realm) than any others, including metric. Alas, I have lost the bookmark, and have been unable to find it since.

Jose
4... which is rise over run2, but not quite "unitless" as there is a hidden conversion factor.
2if we aren't talking about "run of track" but rather, "run of horizontal distance"

Also, for rivers (which is pertinent?) I've heard of so many inches/feet of drop per mile--one inch per mile is a very slow river, 3-4 inches per mile is probably about average, much over a foot or two per mile and you get rapids, or even waterfalls. One mile per mile is almost certainly some kind of waterfall.

Afterwork blitzing...this is irresistible...

Real world stream gradients: the lower MIssissippi is about 6 inches/mile (0.1m/km) 0.01%, the Colorado in the Grand Canyon is about 10 feet/mile (2m/km) 0.2% [relatively steep for a major river]. For a steeper examples, I'll turn to Yosemite Valley. The Merced in the flat part of the valley is about 20 feet/mile (4m/km) 0.4%...at low water there are riffles, at high water the water moves impressively fast with some rapids in the lower steeper part of the valley. Between Happy Isles and the top of Nevada falls, the drop is 2000 feet in about 2 miles (200m/km) 20%...most people are familiar with Nevada and Tenaya Falls. Ribbon Falls (3000' from the brink to the valley floor) and Bridalveil Falls (800' from the top to the valley) are both about 100% grades. Ribbon Falls isn't actually entirely a free fall, so the average grade for the falls is about 1000%.

Links to images under the cut

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 16, 2013 1:24 am UTC

Smithers wrote:Say; do you know what else makes very little sense, but is also quite enjoyable?
[this]. Also [this].
It's all related.
AAAAaaaargh! A spoiler!

For the sake of time travelers who may pass this way, could you edit your post so that it does not contain a link to the current version of Time, lest it be a shot from the future by the time Time Pilgrims reach it?

The link to the "at the time of my post" image is
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/e0b7ac ... a8bcb2.png
It's a newpix off from yours, but close enough.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 16, 2013 1:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

That's actually the first gif I've made in years, haven't done any since I made a couple of emoticons back in school...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 am UTC

HES wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Just reporting I opened a gate from page 617, so I have no idea what happened between there and here (and I won't go back; I have no Time for this).
So, did the First Cleric saga get a Chapter 4?

Yes

P.S. Heretic! :wink:

Hey. If we're going to be critical of Blitzposts, we shouldn't also be critical when people skip to the present. I've skipped a combined total of almost 200 NP, and I'm doing fine here in the present (40ish and then 80ish back when the thread was going too fast {the 40-page skipped pages from only one day!}, and 70ish after I got back from vacation).

I winked! I didn't mean it :oops:

Oh, sorry, didn't catch that. I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 am UTC

trolleypup wrote: . . .

Real world stream gradients: the lower MIssissippi is about 6 inches/mile (0.1m/km) 0.01%, the Colorado in the Grand Canyon is about 10 feet/mile (2m/km) 0.2% [relatively steep for a major river]. For a steeper examples, I'll turn to Yosemite Valley. The Merced in the flat part of the valley is about 20 feet/mile (4m/km) 0.4%...at low water there are riffles, at high water the water moves impressively fast with some rapids in the lower steeper part of the valley. Between Happy Isles and the top of Nevada falls, the drop is 2000 feet in about 2 miles (200m/km) 20%...most people are familiar with Nevada and Tenaya Falls. Ribbon Falls (3000' from the brink to the valley floor) and Bridalveil Falls (800' from the top to the valley) are both about 100% grades. Ribbon Falls isn't actually entirely a free fall, so the average grade for the falls is about 1000%.

Nice. You obviously have more knowledge of this than I.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 16, 2013 1:48 am UTC

mscha wrote:SOMEONESGOTTAGOng...

This is hilarious, I love Cueball's pee dance.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 am UTC

Hello Fellow Time Travelers! I am a bit hatted out at the mo, so no new hats tonight. But I will get back in gear soon! I'm still keeping ketchedup though.

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Hello Fellow Time Travelers! I am a bit hatted out at the mo, so no new hats tonight. But I will get back in gear soon! I'm still keeping ketchedup though.

:( But I still have a hood, in any case.

diego5wh

Postby diego5wh » Thu May 16, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Oh me yarm cueball don't eat stuff! he seems to eat a lot of random stuff (like sand)..
I feel bad for not keeping up with this threat but outsider duties don't let me. but know fellow waiters that you are not alone.. I try to visit the book of aubronwood at least once per day..
Helper wrote:Dear god, even the recursion is recursing.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu May 16, 2013 2:05 am UTC

Did he eat all the plants?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Thu May 16, 2013 2:07 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
trolleypup wrote: . . .

Nice. You obviously have more knowledge of this than I.

The question has come up before...in other OTT-like1 situations...and I have the Outside experience and the topos to generate answers.

1 Heresy, for sure...I have a comfy chair and a bukkit of Nutella if punishment is deemed necessary.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 16, 2013 2:16 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 16, 2013 2:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?

Wowie, it sure does look like wood ... is this a New Era?

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 16, 2013 2:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?

It does look like a small pile of sticks, doesn't it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:23 am UTC

jetpac wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?

It does look like a small pile of sticks, doesn't it...

Maybe it's the molpy's nest/burrow entrance!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 2:25 am UTC

Ruins of an ancient molpy civilization...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Thu May 16, 2013 2:27 am UTC

azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Of course, as I have already decreed, continued use of Outside time units for measuring the length of Outside is A-Okay.

The paradox exists in that the Outside is not okay, therefore how is units to measure it okay????? That's like how it's okay if the underage smoke, but they can neither buy nor be given cigarettes. Then how are they smoking? Something wrong is going on. That's all I'm saying. dix, nips, xip, and dip to the rescue!

Apologies if I've missed it (I'm 20np or so behind), but all I could think of reading this is that we should have a unit for 15 outsider heretic minutes - the quarter NP or quip. Should fit right in...

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ruins of an ancient molpy civilization...

You know, there was a time when I would've just laughed this off, but this story has already become so much deeper than I ever imagined it could be. Maybe it says more about how the OTT has changed me that this seems like a valid theory.

ETA: Woohoo 100 posts!! Party time!
Spoiler:
Last edited by jetpac on Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ruins of an ancient molpy civilization...

The molpyple in the hills!*

*Clarification: I pronounce "molpy" in my head like "mole-pee"

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:Greetings everyone!

So I don't know if anyone here is a fan of art games, but Proteus is currently 50% off and I think this is the closest thing there is to experiencing the OTC. I know for me at least, playing it filled me with a sense of awe and wonder and I was fascinated about learning about the world I was in. The entire time I was playing through it I kept thinking about the OTC. There's no rivers, but there is a sea1 and hills and yeah.

1which appears to be big.

P.S. I'm going to once again attempt to keep up with the OTT, but Outside is distracting.2

2Do "P.S's" go before or after footnotes?3
3It appears I've just answered my own question. This looks strange.

Very cool. I just purchased and downloaded it (erm ... can you believe I didn't know what a "Steam Key" was?). But tonight I am way too antsy for it! I'll try it when I'm not in such a rush to ..... uh ... wait for it, I guess.

EDIT: Comatime
Last edited by buffygirl on Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fatness

Postby fatness » Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?

Looks like he's stumbled across some ruins. Maybe a previous sandcastle society?

jolleychris wrote:Scene 1: Sands of time
Scene 2: River of time
Scene 3: ????? of time?

Just a thought...

Hands?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 16, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:See the updated map.

Still an awesome piece of work!
I see you haven't made your mind up yet about where Cueball has stumbled off to?

Awesome might not be a awesome enough word for that map. Great work Bookbinder!

edit: OH SNAP! I thought it was just a img file, that shit is interactive! Yeah awesome is not a good enough word.

No no no :oops: 'Tis not my map. This map was created by the holy cartographer edfel, who has been absent as of late, I'm sorry to note. But as I believe the map to be canonical, I reference it often and encourage others to do so as well for it is both interactive, and actively updating. Indeed, it is one of the many impressive artifacts dedicated to Time.

I see that Cueball has stumbles across the spares of an ancient sandcastle, perhaps? Or perhaps just an old campfire?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 16, 2013 2:43 am UTC

NewData time.
Also added Periods/Eras to http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/ForumNavigator
comatime

Edit: Oops posted my testing local url!

Edit 2: Realized that my parsing of the wikia page did not account for the links in the frame numbers of the last 3 periods so they are missed. Will fix tomorrow.
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 16, 2013 2:52 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 16, 2013 2:44 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that... wood?

Shall it be dubbed the Norwegian Era?

HES

Postby HES » Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:NewData time.
comatime

I thought something was up with the URL
(Yay, broken in to the top 100!)
Keep up the amazing work, Kieryn

Coma coma coma coma coma, ca-molpy-on
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:NewData time.
comatime

Edit 2: Realized that my parsing of the wikia page did not account for the links in the frame numbers of the last 3 periods so they are missed. Will fix tomorrow.

I'm noticing that a lot of periods go unnamed as of late.
I propose we start naming things. My vote goes to Molpy period for the time since its arrival
Edit: just learned that one can not dong on an iPhone. Sigh. Someone else do it then
Last edited by ergman on Thu May 16, 2013 3:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Maybe Cueball is buildONG another trebuchet!

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Of course, as I have already decreed, continued use of Outside time units for measuring the length of Outside is A-Okay.

The paradox exists in that the Outside is not okay, therefore how is units to measure it okay????? That's like how it's okay if the underage smoke, but they can neither buy nor be given cigarettes. Then how are they smoking? Something wrong is going on. That's all I'm saying. dix, nips, xip, and dip to the rescue!

Apologies if I've missed it (I'm 20np or so behind), but all I could think of reading this is that we should have a unit for 15 outsider heretic minutes - the quarter NP or quip. Should fit right in...

Or how about a unit for 10 outsider minutes, called a sixth NP or sip? Or that could be for a 3-mip (is that what an outsider month is called)? period... i.e. "season in pixels" à la the other "-ip" acronyms...

Once again, redundancy is key! :D

taixzo wrote:Maybe Cueball is buildONG another trebuchet!

Spoiler:

Looks like he's rubbing the sticks together. A fire, perhaps?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 am UTC

He's tipped that one stick with the sticky-outy part on it a bit more upright:

TipStick.gif
TipStick.gif (7.33 KiB) Viewed 17415 times
download/file.php?id=36354
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 3:36 am UTC

Let's call this period the "Cueball's Quest" Period.

Yet another poor attempt at making music...
Spoiler:
To the tune of Gilligan's Isle

Now, sit right down and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful stick
that started from this sandy beach, With the castles built up thick

Megan was a mighty thinking lass,
and cueball brave but thick
Two travelers set off the xip
for a Three new pix trek
a three newpix trek.

FOr the sea it started rising fast
The far right tower lost
if they didn't find the cause
the castle would be the cost
the castle'd be the cost

The duo set out over this deserted desert land

With LaPetite,
Cueball too

The river that is small
Magan and a lot of land,
here on cueballs trek.
here on Cueballs trek.

And with that, comatime.

Cant touch this
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

htom

Postby htom » Thu May 16, 2013 3:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:He's tipped that one stick with the sticky-outy part on it a bit more upright:

TipStick.gif

Is he playing with the remains of a trebuchet?
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:To the tune of Gilligan's Isle
Spoiler:
Now, sit right down and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful stick
that started from this sandy beach, With the castles built up thick

Megan was a mighty thinking lass,
and cueball brave but thick
Two travelers set off the xip
for a Three new pix trek
a three newpix trek.

FOr the sea it started rising fast
The far right tower lost
if they didn't find the cause
the castle would be the cost
the castle'd be the cost

The duo set out over this deserted desert land

With LaPetite,
Cueball too

The river that is small
Magan and a lot of land,
here on cueballs trek.
here on Cueballs trek.

Très Treeish!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Thu May 16, 2013 4:03 am UTC

WalkONG away...

I guess it was really broken.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:He's tipped that one stick with the sticky-outy part on it a bit more upright:

TipStick.gif

I do believe that it may, in fact, be the remains of a trebuchet (as has been previously suggested). The stick mentioned appears to have a wheel attached and there is a portion that may be the base of the trebuchet. But alas, I am tired and must coma. In the morning, I will have my ketchup.

unreal37

Postby unreal37 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:22 am UTC

ucim wrote:AAAAaaaargh! A spoiler!

For the sake of time travelers who may pass this way, could you edit your post so that it does not contain a link to the current version of Time, lest it be a shot from the future by the time Time Pilgrims reach it?

Really? The current newpix is considered a spoiler? The very first post of this thread has the current newpix. Really?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Yes, and having the first image be a spoiler is an issue that has been brought up before, though no consensus was reached. And no one has been able to contact the original poster, so the point might be moot. I think the people are most concerned about blitzers, those who read the thread from start to finish, because when they start reading the thread they may feel that encountering the current newpix mid-blitz is spoilerish. So the firstpost image is meh, but it's the ones in the middle that are troublesome.

Grr. I'm sick of being Mome. No more mome-ing for me.

Edited a bit to clarify concerns about Timespoilers.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu May 16, 2013 4:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, and having the first image be a spoiler is a problem that we have discussed before. But no one has been able to contact the original poster.

Grr. I'm sick of being Mome. No more mome-ing for me.

Vatican Milliner's Disgruntled Customer?
(mscha already abolished the papacy. It's now the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”