1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 4:40 am UTC

I don't want to be a customer; I already have more titles than is customary.

Can I abolish the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership? ...Since I'm the current Customer, and the Customer is always right...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valiant Cookie

Postby Valiant Cookie » Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, and having the first image be a spoiler is a problem that we have discussed before. But no one has been able to contact the original poster.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here: I like always having the newestpix on the first post, there's just something calming about navigating to the forum thread seeing the current newpix and his hilariously outdated comments along with his gif'd avatar right before I whisk away to the newestpage.

the first post is like a window into the future, a promise, for those young blitzer's that there is more to Time than first meets the eye.
Is it time? Yes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:44 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't want to be a customer; I already have more titles than is customary.

Can I abolish the Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customership? ...Since I'm the current Customer, and the Customer is always right...

Well, you can simply refuse to accept the title. You can't abolish the position, but it's a totally voluntary thing.
And by that I mean I started saying it whenever I hit the top of a page, and it's caught on with some other poeple too.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 am UTC

unreal37 wrote:Really? The current newpix is considered a spoiler? The very first post of this thread has the current newpix. Really?
Yes, really.

When a new person enters Time, they may already have seen the (at that time) current Time. But if they decide that they wish to experience Time in its own time, they would start at the beginning of Time. Of course, they cannot start virgin, but they can take a vow of chastity, forsaking the present Time as they engage in their Pilgrimage. Time marches at the speed of Time, but the Pilgrim is back in time, and experiences a different Time. So, for Pilgrims' sake, we have endeavored to keep OTT1 time isolated from current Time time. Thus, the OTT can remain a historical document rather than a living document, which allows people to actually live the OTC2 through the OTT, which would be impossible otherwise.

Make sense?

As a suggestion about the problem of the shoals of Current Time in the OTT, perhaps a poster or several who have posted in the pages prior to the danger zone could edit that post of theirs to hold a warning about this particular upcoming post? A sort of lighthouse, as it were?

Jose

1this thread
2the actual Time comic
Last edited by ucim on Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Hmm. Well, I'm not going to accept the Customership if I don't have to.

I'm just going to call myself the Mopey Molpy Mome for this newpage.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm not going to accept the Customership if I don't have to.

That's kind of a cute title. I like it.
ETA: Blitzgirl, I just realized you're updating your location every newpage. Nice dedication!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Thanks! It's a holdover from my blitzing days.

I like Mopey Molpy Mome, too. I'll have to add it to my sig. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks! It's a holdover from my blitzing days.

It sounds like a character from either a Dr. Seuss book or Winnie the Pooh.
ETA: To borrow a phrase from htom, coma coma coma chameleon.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 am UTC

I guess that makes HAL the Peppy Pulpy Pope, then...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 am UTC

I will not be Pope all along,
just Mopey Molpy Mome this DONG:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, and having the first image be a spoiler is an issue that has been brought up before...
Actually, the post in question is not the first post of the Time thread, but a post on the bottom of page 631, by Smithers, just before he went to coma. It contained a link to the first post of the thread (which has a current picture), and a link to the actual comic (which also displays the current picture). It's not an issue now, but when this thread has moved to page 830, that link on page 631 will display the current (as of 830) image, not the frozen-in-time image from page 631.

I expect when Smithers awakes from coma, he will make the appropriate edits, and the issue will vanish.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 16, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:now give the flow to Megan! I've only been saying it since vegetation appeared.

That would make for a beautifully awkward moment :D

yikes! that's almost as bad as the counts typo!

Completely missed that :shock:

so did I until; Blitzgirl commented...

I didn't, so I was bemused by HES "beautifully awkward moment". A bit disappointed to discover that he didn't know what he was talking about. Silly Count.

Two more things (though I've forgotten one of them, hope it comes to me while I type):
What in sodomy is a molpy? I've been reading (and writing) about it hoping it would become clear; I saw the rustling under the surface - is it a typo?

Oh yes, memory activated.
We often imagine that the OTC is influenced by the Tread, and sometimes it stretches credibility to think the synchronicity is coincidence. But what if the Tread is influenced by the OTC? Did anyone think of that? Cueball goes off alone, and there we are talking about Cueball going for a walk without Megan. I could cite many examples, it's uncanny.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 16, 2013 5:10 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:[
Spoiler:
quote="bmonk"][quote="k.bookbinder"][quote="Eoink"][quote="BlitzGirl"]No! Not the puns! Stop the puns!
*grabs chainsaw*
Image[/quote]

You'd stick at nothing to stop the puns, wood you?[/quote]

You must forgive him, BlitzGirl, for some are rooted in their ways and will not bough to the will of others.[/quote]
This pun's bark is worse than its bite?[/quote]

I beech you, good sir, weed been led to believe that such pruning had come to an end. I think it is best that we leaf it well enough alone.[/quote]

EDIT: FTFAOU (all of us)
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 16, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Exodies wrote:We often imagine that the OTC is influenced by the Tread, and sometimes it stretches credibility to think the synchronicity is coincidence. But what if the Tread is influenced by the OTC? Did anyone think of that? Cueball goes off alone, and there we are talking about Cueball going for a walk without Megan. I could cite many examples, it's uncanny.

I know, right? It's almost like time flows in a unidirectional linear fashion, with cause proceeding to effect! But we all know that's not true, of course.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 5:12 am UTC

A molpy refers to the small moving creature from around newpix 1350. First it was called a mole, then it was called a compy, so the resulting portmanteau was molpy.

ucim wrote:Actually, the post in question is not the first post of the Time thread, but a post on the bottom of page 631, by Smithers, just before he went to coma. It contained a link to the first post of the thread (which has a current picture), and a link to the actual comic (which also displays the current picture). It's not an issue now, but when this thread has moved to page 830, that link on page 631 will display the current (as of 830) image, not the frozen-in-time image from page 631. <snip>

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in my MoPost up top there, but I am suffering from coma deprivation so perhaps I wasn't very coherent. I was trying to respond to the poster at the bottom of the previous newpage. I agree, the problempix are the portals in the middle of the OTT that reveal the current TimeFrame to blitzers.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

It sounds like a character from either a Dr. Seuss book or Winnie the Pooh.
ETA: To borrow a phrase from htom, coma coma coma chameleon.

The Mopey Molpy Momes
Were renovating their moldy homes
And while these mild mannered momes were molping
They muttered muted mopey poems:
We are the mopeyest of all Molpy momes,
Our sorrow is oh so molpescent
Tomorrow we'll out mope those garden gnomes
And show them that molpys are everpresent

In sorry. I haven't had my recommended dose of coma for the night.
See y'all in a half a dozen newpix
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 16, 2013 5:19 am UTC

Exodies wrote:But what if the Tread is influenced by the OTC? Did anyone think of that? Cueball goes off alone, and there we are talking about Cueball going for a walk without Megan. I could cite many examples, it's uncanny.
Heresy! Correlation does not imply causation. :)

Jose

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 16, 2013 5:24 am UTC

@Vytron, HAL9000 re: ketchup (warning: this spoiler contains at least two rants dedicated to this topic. Consider yourself warned.)
@BlitzGirl re: image enhancement
@k.bookbinder re: excitement over molpy/timeraptor
@Febrion re: Burma Shave
@BlitzGirl re: more image enhancement (of the legitimately useful kind)
@Dracomax re: heresy
@HAL9000 re: Svengoolie

Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:I can't take it anymore! Just read The Second Controversy Of What People Should Be Posting and it was greatly disheartening to read that about half the thread got sick of blitzers like, 9 days ago (so the news that it's old are already old!), they skip the "epigones", they hate the reports of blitzers on blitzers, and think the thread should be about the OTC and not this bad recursion.

Bl
*mutters* All this bloody nonsense. What's next, stopping blitzing entirely? *updates sig*
(Granted, I'm 12 NP behind. There's a good chance, based on how fast past mini-arguments have been resolved, y'all have this resolved already. If that's the case ignore my mutterings until I can ketchup properly and see what happen[s|ed].)

BlitzGirl wrote:
JeromeWest wrote:
mscha wrote:Magnification doesn't help much, it's just a handful of pixels:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/tmp/mole.png

Don't just stand there... enhance!

ENHANCE!

http://vpx.pl/i/2013/05/15/ENHANCE.png

Best enhancement ever! Now can you enhance the Timeraptor the same way?

k.bookbinder wrote:I de-coma to molpy and a bird/Time raptor? Today may turn out to be an exciting day, indeed.

ikr? Exciting night for me, but the same idea is there. :mrgreen: Also molpy is a ninja-raptor, not just any regular raptor, because even with the animated GIFs to study I can barely see it.

Febrion wrote:Burma Shave

In that context, that is probably the most hilarious thing I've seen today. WP.

BlitzGirl wrote:Now presenting The Adventures of Molpy (so far):

http://vpx.pl/i/2013/05/15/AdventuresOfMolpy.gif

Includes frame numbers and arrows following both the molpy and the sparrow-raptor.

Thanks! Much easier to see what everyone else is referring to now (although I'll be danged if I can actually see it properly myself. Time for new glasses methinks...)

Dracomax wrote:On things which are not technically heresy.
Phoenisrising wrote: Smithers wrote:http://www.contractorfails.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/checked-tile-fail.jpg
I'm sorry.

DRACOMAX!

Where's the Inquisition when you need them. DRACO!

That tile. It burns. :cry:

It's a horrible thing, probably deserving of punishment, but it isn't actually heresy. It might be used as a punishment for heresy, though.

I don't think it's a suitable punishment for heresy though. :| Aren't heresy punishments supposed to be amusing? That tile is simply horrible. Not amusing at all. (Although granted, probably hilarious for whoever posts it.)

HAL9000 wrote:Oh man, I remember that movie. First time I saw it was on Svengoolie (yes, he's still around). Those B-movies are great.
Where in the frame did the molpy show up, anyways.

The molpy was on the right-hand side of the frame. Far right at first, moved slowly left over the next few frames before a quick move right and a vanish (roughly coinciding with the return of the Timeraptor/F22raptor).

I can't believe someone else has actually heard of Svengoolie, let alone watched him. Those rubber chickens man... :D

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Ugh, now I'm going to be scanning the ground for molpy activity with every new TimeFrame.

Re: Flado's post
Perhaps y'all should have targeted your "POST PLZ" sigcouragements at Vytron rather than blitzers as a group?

Mine is focused more on their reading than their posting. It would be great if all of us had read the entire thread, but it would be better if we were all in the present. I skipped 72 NP, missing the entire fade, when I got back from a lengthy stay Outside which involved my being away from a computer all day, and I'm adding more to the conversation than if I were still behind. Not to mention my earlier skips when the thread was still going fast (42 NP and 80 NP).
EDIT: Vatican Milliner's Perfect Fade-Skipper
EDIT2 for exact NP-skipped numbers.

As I've mentioned, I'm perpetually behind by 10-15 NP because of my work schedule, which coincides with the time period everyone is most active on here. Not a lot I can do about staying in the Present. >_> Of course Vytron may have a different schedule which conflicts less with the OTT's activity period, but it's worth considering that just because someone jumps to the Present, that doesn't necessarily mean they can stay there for more than a few Newpix at a time.

I don't know at this point. When I posted my doubts about this several Newpages back, at least half-a-dozen swift replies assured me there was no problem with the ketchup posts. Now Vytron faces the same problem. If anything, a consistent view of ketchup posts would be nice, because the many different views is confusing. But at the same time it's the different views that make this thread what it is.

tl;dr: I have no idea. I'm just going to hope y'all worked it all out somewhere between here and the Present.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 5:27 am UTC

Well, maybe, Jose.

Thanks, ergman, that was molpendous! :D

And no, PhoenixRising, I think we agreed to disagree. Maybe.

Who wants waffles?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 16, 2013 5:44 am UTC

Ladies and gentlemen, after a modest amount of hard work, I present to you: A Topographical Survey of the River and Surrounding Regions (ATSRSR), painstakingly copied from frames 1097 to 1117 (Geekwagon). For Cadellin, there is a link to the Maya source file (.mb) within the spoiler, and I look forward to seeing your take on the model :D

Spoiler:
First view of the river. Megan and Cueball proceeded from the front of the image to the back, along the left side.
Another view showcasing some of the geometry of the river (all areas underwater were estimations based on surrounding geometry)
The river as it appears in frame 1117, except with some of the geometry behind it showing.
The river as it appeared in frame 1097, again with more geometry showing.

Maya source file (.mb, 174KB): link

Leaving that with y'all, I must coma. Another extended Outside-obligation-filled day tomorrow, so I'll have some ketchup to do...

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu May 16, 2013 6:02 am UTC

GOTTAGONG

Edit to prevent DPODPhuh?:
BlitzGirl wrote:Who wants waffles?

At first I thought hell yeh!, who doesn't want waffles?
But then I thought some more that maybe I've eaten enough today, so I suppose no waffles.
Then again just a modest amount of waffles isn't going to hurt, plus I deserve waffles cuz my teams lost today.
However eating as a reaction to my bummed feelings isn't a Good Thing, so no--no waffles.
Who am I kidding!? I was right to begin with. In the Big Picture a waffle or two or three is nothing.
But will I respect myself in the morning???
I dunno...waffles...no waffles...

huh?dreaded post ong double post
Last edited by spamjam on Thu May 16, 2013 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Hi everybody. I'm de-lurking after following this thread since the beginning. I have to say, it's been very entertaining. I wish I had the free time to participate, but I don't.

So, tonight I sit down with my daughter to help her with her homework. And the first page of the homework is about the Dead Sea. And right away, in my mind, there's StratPlayer nodding his head knowingly, saying "See, it's ALL related."

So, I'm posting to say:

Get out of my head, OTT! :-)

With that off of my chest, maybe I'll post again sometime. (I have been tempted to ONG in the slow times, but the mod queue would have rendered that useless!)

--Ryan

PS - I'm in Seattle, and surprised to see how many posters here are in the Seattle area. Hi to you all.

tman2nd

Chapter 6 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Progress: 61/633 (-352 pages)

Since my last update, Cueball fell, fixed the side of the first castle, and left. Some people thought it was all over, but small pixel changes gave reason to hope. The small changes led to the Great Expansion with the second castle starting to appear. The periods have been named now. There has been lots of discussion on gender neutral pronouns and y'all/all y'all. Newpix have been established as the unit of Time. Along with this has come the realization that the OTC is the true reality. Still no religion yet.
Last edited by tman2nd on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 am UTC

Bravo, ChronosDragon, bravo! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 am UTC

lgw wrote:[
I'm reminded of my favorite CSN song (set in some post-apocalypse):
Spoiler:
Stills: Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Crosby: Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.
Stills: Probably keep us both alive.

The start of that song is amazing and effective storytelling, evoking so much with just a few lines. Hmm, sorta like conveying so much with just a few stick-figure-shaped lines

I've always loved the song Wooden Ships, but I never really knew what all the lyrics were. Didn't stop me from singing along, though; I'd just make up words, or mumble them, as necessary.

BlitzGirl, I am loving all the smileys! Thank you!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 am UTC

Cueball looks back - wistfully? thoughtfully? - as we do so frequently here in the OTT, through the highs and lows, the squabbles and parties, the silent pixels and the boom de yada, we carry ONG:

You're welcome, lmjb!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:12 am UTC

What a lovely ONG that was!

A couple of things I meant to respond to earlier:

azule wrote:Awefulsome Biology:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:Still trying to sriracha. You guys are posting too much cool stuff, and too many awfulesome puns. Here are some random responses:
Azule, congrats on the baby! We seem to be quite the fertile bunch here.

It wasn't one of you, I swear! *remembers biology* Oh, nevermind. And Thanks!!

P.S. I like "awfulesome". :D or is it "awefulsome"? :)

Hmm, awfulsome? No, that doesn't look right. Awefulsome? That looks a little better. Maybe it just needs the strikeout text: awfulesome.

Opiboble wrote:Well you don't need to put chocolate ships in them, I just have a chocolate craving today...

Opiboble, if it's chocolate ships you want, chocolate ships you shall have:
Spoiler:
3dpirateship_opt.jpg
3dpirateship_opt.jpg (2.6 KiB) Viewed 17628 times

ETA: Must comas. Night, all!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu May 16, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Oh no - he's thinking again...

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu May 16, 2013 7:32 am UTC

azule wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Thank you BlitzGirl! That's had me chuckling for ages! (And, in case I didn't say it before, as I was, um, blitzing my ketchup at the time, the Boom de yada comic was fantastic too; I've got a printout stuck up next to me now!)

PixPlz! (Face/arm/nose w/ printout.)
thumbsup.jpg
thumbsup.jpg (27.06 KiB) Viewed 17589 times

I wish I had something capable of printing bigger! I may have to split it up to make a bigger one for the wall..
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Won't bother with a reply wall but I'm currently at the turn of the century encountering everyone sharing their newbieposts so…
yappobiscuits wrote:Long time lurker and follower of the OTC since the beginning... registered and broke my lurking streak purely because I felt it would be wrong given the current events of Time (and the fact a playlist is being put together) for someone not to link to the magnificent song "Time" by Finnish metal legends Wintersun. However as a newbie I can't post links, but I strongly suggest you look it up...

Funny to think I only signed up to recommend a song (it was during the fading, it was too appropriate not to mention)… but once the OTT sucks you in, there's no getting out…

(aside: Like the Hotel California...)

Time 1 - ftfy. I also delurked basically to get this reference in, and then got so caught up in the OTT that I forgot. A particularly apt reference, imho, considering how long we had to wait for it!

(For non-EpicMetal fans, it took Wintersun something like 8 years to get this album out - every year promising, "This Summer,... This Summer." It eventually became something of a joke among afficionados.)

"Time
Time fades away (fades away)
When time fades away
And I'll never be the same"
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 am UTC

RobIrr wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Thank you BlitzGirl! That's had me chuckling for ages! (And, in case I didn't say it before, as I was, um, blitzing my ketchup at the time, the Boom de yada comic was fantastic too; I've got a printout stuck up next to me now!)

PixPlz! (Face/arm/nose w/ printout.)
thumbsup.jpg

I wish I had something capable of printing bigger! I may have to split it up to make a bigger one for the wall..

Rasterbate it!

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm not going to accept the Customership if I don't have to.

Oooh. "Mopey Molpy Mome" only has six unique letters. Let's see... "Pope for Mopey Molpy Mome" adds F and R...
Mopey Molpy Mome replaces Pope meme ... No, that adds R A C and S, so that's ten.
Old Pope meme topped by Mopey Molpy Mome ... yeah, that's nine unique letters. Whatever. Punch line, no puzzle. Gave y'all a freebie. :-P
Hmm... That's pretty long. I wonder if it could even be fit into a valid 9x9 puzzle? yup...but I'll wait for something better to tease you with. ;-) Comatime.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 16, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Back from coma (again)... Blitz-ketchup Time...

Ebonite wrote:Well, if you want semi-useful, here's a short but fun little program I once wrote. . .

On our department's UNIX system, I wrote a shell script (called "zap") that slept for 5 minutes, and then, in a loop:

- searched to see if a specified user was logged in
- if so, found which terminal he was using
- sent a "clear screen" signal to his terminal
- slept for 30 seconds
- repeated.

This ran as a background task, even when I was logged off, and was a root process (not associated with my personal userid). It would run until I logged back in and killed it.

So my friend had just logged in. I typed "zap <victimname>", and then logged off and walked over to say hello. While we stood there and chatted, his screen cleared. He looked at it, and then tentatively hit the "enter" key. He got a prompt, so he shrugged it off. After chatting for 30 seconds, it happened again. He assumed the terminal was screwed up, so he logged off and moved to another terminal. And it happened again. And again. And it followed him to every terminal he tried. And of course, no one else was having any problems but him. . .

I did this to him a couple of times for short periods just to annoy him. One time, I left the process running. He'd try to get some work done, see "the problem" happening again, log off and go to class, come back an hour later and try again, see that it was still happening. . .go home and come back the next morning, and it was STILL happening!

Eventually, I called him over to my terminal and showed him the code for "this little program I had written". The look on his face as he figured out what it was, was priceless!

College was so much fun. Another guy edited the code for the "login" procedure to target another person. He added a statement that essentially said "if the id entered by the user is <victimname>, then reject the password as incorrect." When the victim tried to login a second time, he would succeed just fine; the idea was that he would assume his just mistyped it the first time.

However, the code was a little more complex than that: it had a date counter that said "on the second day, reject the password twice." "On the third day, reject the password three times". And so on.

It took the victim about four days before he figured out that something was going on. It took him another three days before it occurred to him that the code for the login procedure has been changed. :D

Wow, that is very cool! Sadly I am not working on UNIX networks, in my company we are less than 10% working on Linux and the base network is windows :evil: And the best part of this is that we have many secrets that we should not tell people in the company outside the projects, but we have a share disk to transfer files to people that is public to the whole company... So I set up a small script to look each minute and copy what is on it :mrgreen:

If you know people working on Mac, you can also have fun. First you must enable the SSH access on the computer and know the username and password (yeah, this is the difficult part). Then you log by SSH and you can play with the command 'say' which makes the computer speak 8-) For example, you can make the computer whisper (using the command 'say -v Whisper', full list of voices in the man page I believe) I know you're listening

BlitzGirl wrote:
jolleychris wrote:Scene 1: Sands of time
Scene 2: River of time
Scene 3: ????? of time?

Scene 3: Out of time

(The last TimeFrames of Cueball.)

Many possible choices:
- Moutains of Time
- Raptors of Time
- Tree of Time
- NapTime

But yeah, finally it will be 'Out of Time' :mrgreen:
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 16, 2013 8:01 am UTC

all gONG?
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 8:02 am UTC

Mustard, we missed the raptor attack!

RobIrr wrote:
thumbsup.jpg

Squee! That is so awesome! And on my Mopey Molpy Mome newpage, too!

Oh, found this awesomeness while I was searching for the Snoopy happy dance:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 am UTC

rmcurtis wrote:Hi everybody. I'm de-lurking after following this thread since the beginning. I have to say, it's been very entertaining. I wish I had the free time to participate, but I don't.

So, tonight I sit down with my daughter to help her with her homework. And the first page of the homework is about the Dead Sea. And right away, in my mind, there's StratPlayer nodding his head knowingly, saying "See, it's ALL related."

So, I'm posting to say:

Get out of my head, OTT! :-)

With that off of my chest, maybe I'll post again sometime. (I have been tempted to ONG in the slow times, but the mod queue would have rendered that useless!)

--Ryan

PS - I'm in Seattle, and surprised to see how many posters here are in the Seattle area. Hi to you all.

Welcome to the OTT!

It's amazing how often the Outside reflects what is happening in the OTT .. :-)

Oh, and visitor map bump (since it's not been up for a while)
Reader age poll:
http://poll.pollcode.com/6ip4b

ETA: I still go all gooey inside when I'm noticed by BlitzGirl.. TY :D :D
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Hello World!

I'm registering & delurking now, having waited, blitzed and spilt lots and lots of condiments all over the work I should've been doing for a long, long, time.
Just wanted to thank y'all for being crazy enough to stick with this and being SO creative! The songs, gifs, smileys, cupcakes and the hats! I believe I'm positively flabbergasted...

And yeah, I was thinking of the Wintersun reference all the Time ;-)

See you when I get out of mod queue, can't wait for ucim's next scene!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 am UTC

NO CHANGEONG

Well there is a Change in the grass on the left! Must be the Molpy again!!!

How did Cueball just vanish like that??? It kind of looks like for a few frames that he is turning and walking towards or away from the camera. Maybe he is walking out of the 2d Shot.
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Is that the molpy again? :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 16, 2013 9:12 am UTC

I got coma in my ketchup. That was embarrassing. :oops: Translation: falling asleep, but ketchuped.

truslack wrote:I gave up following the OTT due to work and stuff, and I'm not going to have time to go back through it all now, but I just wanted to say hi again!
Hi. When you get time again, we'll be reading about your Blitz. :)

Megan's Dream; OR, mscha's Dream:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Megan wrote:No, Black Hat Guy, not now, Cueball might see us.

You're messing with the proposed character quote quantifier! Also, LMAO!

SETM [Stickmen for the Ethical Treatment of Molpy]:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Well, Cueball must be getting hungry, as we haven't seen him eat anything...

I'm too pent up with, uh...coma deprivation, to be able to handle this! I image now (if the Future does not already contain this) that there will be a series of extreme contrivances on display with nothing more noteworthy said than "Neat". lol.....*dies*
P.S. My girlfriend did not like this. Poor innocent molpy doesn't deserve it.

Save Yourself A Microsecond:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
RobIrr wrote:PS: For those confused by clicking Refresh to look for new posts with spoilers still open, there's a handy short-cut I use: Click the little Image next to the "by <author>" at the top of the last post. That should reload the page and reposition you back at that post, whatever happened with spoilers higher up, so you can carry on scrolling down.

Thank you!! That is a life saver! (Now I'm exaggerating. A Time saver, at least.)
Have a beverage of you choice. ImageImageImage

No offense to RobIrr, but click instead the Post Subject link. You get to stay on the same page then.

Internet Cupcakes (Do not eat. You do not know where they've been.):
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:...you can stabby stab it into the cupcake!

"In the cupcake". Oh, euphemisms, how I love thee.

Pikrass wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:<snip> I'll un-spoiler and enlarge mine. <snip>

It's fun to read this post without any context. :mrgreen:

Ah, yes, I saw this, but you've pulled the dirty out of it well. :)

A revision from earlier as internets do not have pants: *internet unspoilers itself* *internet enlarges its precious* Now we're having fun!

The Inter(fallopian)tubes:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:ETA: PFAN, and my 200th post! Um, uterus! Fallopian tubes! Did I do that right?

If you have to ask, then....yes, you're doing it right. At first, though, I had not made the connection...and yeah, uterus...sexy. lol. ;)

Rules About Consumption and Regurgitation:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Cueball wrote:I can haz Molpyburger?

(Continuing my quest to get all memes from today's Other Comic in the OTT.)

A worthy quest. Question: Does it have to be used in a demonstrative fashion? I have mentioned ChzBrgr before, but probably not in a theatrical example.

bmonk wrote:Does that help raise the word-length factor?
And this is why we can't measure things without changing the result. *shakes head*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”