1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Here is the new molpy. it looks like it is moving sideways slightly

molpy.gif
molpy.gif (11.24 KiB) Viewed 16093 times

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Only a slight difference in the grass on the left: http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/?frame=1374&framediff=1373

[edit]
Ninja'd :P

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Here is the new molpy. it looks like it is moving sideways slightly

molpy.gif

It's got a tail! Or is it it's little raptor head held high while carefully backing away from the flying raptor?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 16, 2013 9:33 am UTC

It seems like people are still having difficulty believing that there's a rotation occurring. It seems most likely to be Randall showing us what we already knew: This is a 2D cross-section of a 3D world. Cueball stepped toward the camera (not really) and therefore was no longer visible to us. If the camera pulled back (not zoomed out, but rolled back a step or two), we would see him again and probably the tree and Megan too.

If someone doesn't get around to it before me, I'll attempt to create a mockup demonstrating this concept visually. Gotta coma now. It's way too frickin' late. :coma:

RobIrr wrote:Image
I wish I had something capable of printing bigger! I may have to split it up to make a bigger one for the wall..

So awesome. I know it is simple, but now it's...real. I feel like one of those teen heartthrobs, adorning someone's wall within a collage of other "hunks". hehe. :mrgreen:

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu May 16, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Swein wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Here is the new molpy. it looks like it is moving sideways slightly

It's got a tail! Or is it it's little raptor head held high while carefully backing away from the flying raptor?

And there is a blade of grass or something a bit to the left, bending towards it as it moves. Kind of ... creepy.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am UTC

Enhance! Again!

Spoiler:
MolphyEnhanceAgain.png
MolphyEnhanceAgain.png (20.28 KiB) Viewed 16054 times

Gah I don't like this attachment system, where quoting the attachment doesn't show the image. Hence the image from the direct link, and the spoilered attachment.
...I might just go back to Poland.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 16, 2013 9:44 am UTC

Gee, it's taken me awhile to HP sauce, and I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say, except for:
1) ucim - grand!
2) I add my vote for Cueball stepping into the scene (like they did at the joining of the rivers) rather than going left to right.
3) Related to that: "sliver of time". Maybe eventually "frozen in time" and "test of time".
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. Well, I'm not going to accept the Customership if I don't have to.

I'm just going to call myself the Mopey Molpy Mome for this newpage.
Oooh. "Mopey Molpy Mome" only has six unique letters. Let's see... "Pope for Mopey Molpy Mome" adds F and R...
Mopey Molpy Mome replaces Pope meme ... No, that adds R A C and S, so that's ten.
Old Pope meme topped by Mopey Molpy Mome ... yeah, that's nine unique letters. Whatever. Punch line, no puzzle. Gave y'all a freebie. :-P
Hmm... That's pretty long. I wonder if it could even be fit into a valid 9x9 puzzle? yup...but I'll wait for something better to tease you with. ;-) Comatime.

I must have a serious Sudoku addiction... I did the puzzle anyway... Even though it wasn't a real puzzle......help...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PacMan

Postby PacMan » Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Gah I don't like this attachment system, where quoting the attachment doesn't show the image. Hence the image from the direct link, and the spoilered attachment.

But at least I can see the image now! And it reveals exactly what I expected. :)
Great enhancement work, by the way!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 16, 2013 10:01 am UTC

EONG
Anyone notice any changes??

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 am UTC

Thanks! I suppose if it doesn't bother y'all too much to have a spoilered duplicate image, I might fight it out with the forum upload system for a while.

Come, my molpy army! We go to war!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

*looks at the recent newpix*

Rats, the molpy is looking kind of mousey...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks! I suppose if it doesn't bother y'all too much to have a spoilered duplicate image, I might fight it out with the forum upload system for a while.

Come, my molpy army! We go to war!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aaah! BlitzGirl! That made my day :D
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am UTC

New molpy version.
molpy2.gif
molpy2.gif (12.11 KiB) Viewed 15909 times

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Rats, the molpy is looking kind of mousey...

Darn it, I was hoping it would turn out to be a star-nosed mole.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:New molpy version.
molpy2.gif

Actually, it looks sorta like a wren, though I don't think they're normally ground feeders.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 am UTC

QUONG!

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am UTC

The molpy might be a blow to the Dead Sea camp - Google tells me there's hyraxes (I'm probably pluraling that wrong (and my verbing is worse)) near the Dead Sea, but they don't have much of a tail.

It looks a little like a chipmunk here, doesn't it? I wonder if molpies will steal the food from their bags.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am UTC

rmcurtis wrote:Hi everybody. I'm de-lurking after following this thread since the beginning. I have to say, it's been very entertaining. I wish I had the free time to participate, but I don't.

[snip...]

--Ryan

PS - I'm in Seattle, and surprised to see how many posters here are in the Seattle area. Hi to you all.

But are you ... Coma-less in Seattle? :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 16, 2013 11:21 am UTC

molpy2.gif

Maybe it's just Cueball, who's fallen into a deep hole (that maybe molapetitepy dug).

Edit: due to lack of current viewers, accidental double-post.
If there were a way to embed a sound, it'd be sosumi
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 am UTC

mscha wrote:
speising wrote:i'm constantly amazed by the level of detail put into these images. i mean the frames are obviously created copy & paste, with the differences painted in. so how come he does things like the few pixels where he was standing previously?

I'd say it could be a slip of the mouse (i.e. an accident), but that would imply that the Lord Randall isn't perfect, and that is heresy, so I won't.

I think you'll find he uses a butterfly, not a mouse.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

TimeLurker

first Time post

Postby TimeLurker » Thu May 16, 2013 11:41 am UTC

long Time lurker, first Time poster.

I have far too much outside (work, kids, new house to fix up, eating, etc.) to be a true follower of the OTC, but did want to delurk for just a moment and thank all of you for the seemingly hopefully unending entertainment that is the OTT.

Don't mind that scurrying sound in the background, it's not the molpy, just me slipping back into the shadows.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am UTC

Swein wrote:Aaah! BlitzGirl! That made my day :D

You saying that made my day! :D

cellocgw wrote:But are you ... Coma-less in Seattle? :mrgreen:

I'm Comaless in Tacoma, does that count?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 16, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Back to the Present. Until I coma, and then wake up 10 Newpages behind. Yup, I've got the routine down pat... :roll:

@Ebonite re: computer pranking
@lmjb1964, BlitzGirl & others re: (no topic)
@fatness, mscha re: Cueball's speed
@BlitzGirl re: waffles
@ChronosDragon re: river model
@rmcurtis re: it's all related
@BlitzGirl re: enhance!

Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:Well, if you want semi-useful, here's a short but fun little program I once wrote. . .
<snipped computer pranking>

I take it you were in college during the good days for hackers (y'know, back when "hacking" meant messing around with a system and figuring out how it worked. Not so much the malicious stuff always associated with hackers now.) Sounds like fun. :mrgreen: Nowadays I have to wonder how many antiviruses would flip out and grab the modded login (the zap would probably survive though).

lmjb1964 wrote:I just want to add that we are a pretty friendly bunch here. Even the most tight-knit of groups can have the occasional spat or tiff (or gif?), but it's nice that there are always calmer voices here to keep things from getting out of hand. I think in general everyone should just be nice to everyone else. So there. And you'd better do what I say! kidding

Looks like my faith in y'all's ability to sort stuff out was justified. And a full 5.5 pages before the Present, no less. Yay. :)

fatness wrote:
mscha wrote:
fatness wrote:He's considerably downhill, actually. None of the plants are the same.

So you're saying that Cueball moves thrice as fast without a girl holding him back?

(Ducks for cover...)

I say no such thing.
I prefer instead to let the evidence speak for itself to avoid being hit over the head with that axe Buffy carries around.

You both may want to find someplace safer to be for the next few Newpix. Between Buffygirl's axe and Blitzrandir's lightning you may have a problem.
Oh, and girls, totally ignore the gentle flames of protection hovering around these two. These aren't the flames you're looking for. *ducks for cover as well*

buffygirl wrote:I don't know how to hat a .gif. I don't even know how to do anything with a .gif. THUS - The BuffyDashery will Outsource This Assignment to Anyone Wishing To Do So Just This Once.

Think I can do that. Let me see...

EDIT: ninja'd hard. I should've expected that. XD But after a few extra Newpages with nobody commenting I figured I had a shot. Oh well, at least I hadn't actually made the GIF when I noticed the ninja.

BlitzGirl wrote:And no, PhoenixRising, I think we agreed to disagree. Maybe.

I see that! I'm so proud of y'all. :mrgreen:

BlitzGirl wrote:Who wants waffles?

If there are any left, I'd love some.

ChronosDragon wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, after a modest amount of hard work, I present to you: A Topographical Survey of the River and Surrounding Regions (ATSRSR), painstakingly copied from frames 1097 to 1117 (Geekwagon). For Cadellin, there is a link to the Maya source file (.mb) within the spoiler, and I look forward to seeing your take on the model :D
<snip>

VERY well done! As far as I can tell that accounts for pretty much the entire river as far as we can see it.

rmcurtis wrote:Hi everybody. I'm de-lurking after following this thread since the beginning. I have to say, it's been very entertaining. I wish I had the free time to participate, but I don't.

So, tonight I sit down with my daughter to help her with her homework. And the first page of the homework is about the Dead Sea. And right away, in my mind, there's StratPlayer nodding his head knowingly, saying "See, it's ALL related."

So, I'm posting to say:

Get out of my head, OTT! :-)

With that off of my chest, maybe I'll post again sometime. (I have been tempted to ONG in the slow times, but the mod queue would have rendered that useless!)

--Ryan

PS - I'm in Seattle, and surprised to see how many posters here are in the Seattle area. Hi to you all.

*tosses firstpost a short way forward* You've read the full thread, eh? That's impressive dedication. Nice to meet you, even if it's only for a fleeting moment.

Your post reminds me of another, some distance back, about how this thread has become a nerd-snipe for Randall as much as the OTC is for us. I see Randall isn't the only one being sniped. ;) But it does prove that everything in this thread is cyclical. And related.

BlitzGirl wrote:Enhance! Again!

download/file.php?id=36362

Gah I don't like this attachment system, where quoting the attachment doesn't show the image. Hence the image from the direct link, and the spoilered attachment.
...I might just go back to Poland.

Ooh, B&W to color this time. Even fancier enhance! Or did you do that last time too? Coma's starting to catch up to me.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 16, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

MeetONG again!

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

And we're back at the tree. Definitely looks like we were just deeper into the scene before and he has just walked towards camera to get back to Megtree.

Now someone needs to compare this frame with before he left to track down any molpies.

I can't as I'm on my phone and about this coma here.
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Good Coma's end, everybody!

Sometimes this feels more like a chatroom than a needle-pulled thing. :mrgreen:
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu May 16, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

I predict they're going to build something with those sticks/planks that Cueball found - he's just laying out his idea to Megan right now.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:I predict they're going to build something with those sticks/planks that Cueball found - he's just laying out his idea to Megan right now.

Like a raft?
“have i gone mad?

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 16, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Good Coma's end, everybody!

Can't be, unfortunately. OTC is already taken for the One True Comic, so this has to be the OTT. Unless you can find a second C lying around, and I thought we used most of those already.

mikro2nd wrote:I predict they're going to build something with those sticks/planks that Cueball found - he's just laying out his idea to Megan right now.

My theory is similar but not quite the same - he's telling Megan what he found and she'll rebuild a trebuchet from the parts.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:

Can't be, unfortunately. OTC is already taken for the One True Comic, so this has to be the OTT. Unless you can find a second C lying around, and I thought we used most of those already.

My theory is similar but not quite the same - he's telling Megan what he found and she'll rebuild a trebuchet from the parts.

It could be the OTCR...
I'm just saying the speed at which it moves, and the conversations had in it it feel less forumy, and more chatroomy.
“have i gone mad?

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Back in my cube, time for dose of ketchup...

molpy2.gif

Perhaps the molpy is being stalked by a molpykitteh?

I have had my morning ketchup and now need my morning coffee.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Sometimes this feels more like a chatroom than a needle-pulled thing. :mrgreen:

It could be the OTCR...
I'm just saying the speed at which it moves, and the conversations had in it it feel less forumy, and more chatroomy.

You're not alone in that feeling.
Back on NP 519, HAL9000 wrote:
jetpac wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
fatness wrote:
Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.
It takes awhile to crack through the veneer...keep the faith. There is a LOT of traffic here.
Yeah, this thread has a pretty breakneck pace for one on a webcomic forum.
It's basically a chatroom with a log at this point
That's actually very true. Not something I'd realized before.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu May 16, 2013 12:37 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:

It could be the OTCR...

I know. I just decided to give you a hard time over the acronyms. But you're right, it does feel a lot like a chatroom. The speed at which topics are created, discussed, moved on from... although I think chatrooms typically include more Internet-speak and less awesomeness.

IIRC someone else commented on this, too. EDIT: yup. Ninja'd, with a proper quote even.

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu May 16, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

I want a raft! I LOVE rafts!
10429-the-raft-of-the-medusa-theodore-gericault.jpg

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Swein wrote:I want a raft! I LOVE rafts!
10429-the-raft-of-the-medusa-theodore-gericault.jpg

I was thinking more like this:Image
“have i gone mad?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 16, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
cellocgw wrote:But are you ... Coma-less in Seattle? :mrgreen:

I'm Comaless in Tacoma, does that count?

Absolutely! You win a free pack of (real, not pixellate) local cheese the next time you visit the Birthplace of Calvin Coolidge. Just tell me when you'll be there :)
Former OTTer

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 16, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

Or maybe something more... powerful?

RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

I for one am glad it's not an actual chatroom ... I'd never be able to catch up after a coma then!!

(I used to use IRC, well over ten years ago, but simply don't have the patience for that kind of environment any more.)

Personally, I really like this thread. I reckon I've posted more here (drat, missed my 100th (penis)) in the last few weeks than I have *everywhere* else over the last year! I certainly feel like it's much more homely and informal than anywhere else I go visit.
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:I for one am glad it's not an actual chatroom ... I'd never be able to catch up after a coma then!!

(I used to use IRC, well over ten years ago, but simply don't have the patience for that kind of environment any more.)

Personally, I really like this thread. I reckon I've posted more here (drat, missed my 100th (penis)) in the last few weeks than I have *everywhere* else over the last year! I certainly feel like it's much more homely and informal than anywhere else I go visit.

I've certainly posted more here than anywhere else in the OTF. I missed 300, too. One of these days, I'm going to notice I'm on a round number...Next round number is 512...
“have i gone mad?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

BerrieONG!

Not quite...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”