1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Vytron wrote:Wall of post warning, as big as the sea which is big and all that.

Spoiler:
Thanks everyone for your sigcouragement! Image I've realized stopping signposting doesn't mean I have to stop participating at all.

I heard you like comics, so I put a comic in your thread about your thread about a comic:

If I've learned something about Time, is that it's not about the ending, but about the journey.
~Vytron

Whee, another awesome needle-pulled-thing-based comic! And I'm in it this time! Nice one, Vytron!
Boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada boom de yada
HES wrote:A few points before the spoiler:
1) I'm not an artist
2) I only have four pens
3) I'm left handed
4) somebody wasn't cooperating

Spoiler:

Aww, hamster! Image

Re. Lego vs. Legos - One of the reasons I've always found "Legos" weird and wrong (other than being British and therefore used to "Lego") is because it's this weird thing Americans have done with just this ONE brand. Like you don't see anyone referring to other similar products in the same way, nobody ever talks about "Knexes" or "Meccanos" or calls pieces of model train track "Hornbys"...

Edit: I see BlitzGirl's hamster smiley and raise you a dancing one.

to be fair, I never hear people talking about the singular version of thos, either. I have heard frisbees, Zippers, Kleenexes, Sonys, and many others.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 17, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Harvey The Wonder MolpyW

Oh, Harvey! Harvey!
Harvey The Wonder Molpy!
He might be a mole; a dinosaur
We'll never know just what we saw!
Harvey! Harvey!
Harvey The Wonder Molpy!
Hey, Harvey!

W Parody of a parody(not really), a Weird Al song.
! One of these might be a footnote. The accent required is British. We're trying to make peace here, pond-peoples.
Last edited by azule on Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Harvey is a great name for A seven foot tall, invisible rabbit mulpy.
“have i gone mad?

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am UTC

azule wrote:Praise & Nagging Group:
Spoiler:
Rule110 wrote:The Alt-Text

Once upon a morning cheery, while I pondered, slightly bleary
Over many a new webcomic full of dreary trendy wit,
Suddenly with brief foreboding I beheld an image loading -
'T'was a small JPEG decoding on my panel bit by bit.
Just a monochrome depiction taking shape there bit by bit.
I thought, 'What's the point of it?'
To add the chorus of cheers and adulation: Superb! I always loved this poem and every change you made fit with both the original and with us. I do mean this all.

One point of contention though....it's not a JPEG. It is a PNG. I think saying P-N-G (not "ping") would work, unless you were very closely following meter. But as I recall, even Poe didn't follow it that closely. :)

Response in poet-speak:
Spoiler:
Well, of COURSE it's not LITERALLY a JPEG. You've failed to grasp the symbolism at work here: JPEG is a lossy compression format, while PNG is lossless and produces a perfect copy. So using JPEG, while not "true" in a mundane sense, helps to emphasize the themes of doubt and confusion, of being perpetually condemned to imperfect understanding, underscoring how all our mighty so-called science and reason amount to blinking at the shadows on the wall of Plato's Cave.

Translation of response in English:
Spoiler:
Oops!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 am UTC

DINGDONGS...
Spoiler:

Retroninjaspoilered... Also, hungry now.
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri May 17, 2013 2:11 am UTC

KETCHUP BLINDPOST
Page 635 of 642

Still not on my game hatwise (there's been some challenging Outside stuff). :( I'm just exhausted and gotta coma. This is two hours BEFORE my regular bedtime. If this goes on much longer I might feel obligated to retire ... but not just yet!

'night all - comatime.

Edited to say no, it's not cancer. :)
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 am UTC

Late to the party, Outside stuff and all that, but for what it's worth:
Legos. Alla time.
Also, US English and UK English have that singular/plural thing going on:
The Yankees are in first place in the AL East.
Man U is the Premier League champion.

Vytron wrote:Wall of post warning, as big as the sea which is big and all that.

Spoiler:
Thanks everyone for your sigcouragement! Image I've realized stopping signposting doesn't mean I have to stop participating at all.

I heard you like comics, so I put a comic in your thread about your thread about a comic:

If I've learned something about Time, is that it's not about the ending, but about the journey.
~Vytron

Thank you, Vytron, for putting me in your comic! Things are going to start happening to me now.
http://youtu.be/Y7Cld2dgxSs

ETA: Now shush.
Last edited by fhorn on Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 2:21 am UTC

ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Is there some process by which we may officialize that title for good edfel? I think his efforts show that he is well deserving of it.
Yes, there is. Or rather, there are several, but one in particular comes to mind.

First somebody has to nominate him for that title, or call him by that title. It could even be he himself (or her herself), but in this case, that requirement has already been met.

Next... well, there is no next. It is done. edfel is the Holy Cartographer. Now, arise and Wait For It. :)

(Of course, we still don't know which Church, if any, he or she wishes to affiliate with.)

Jose

Well, there's a minor problem... He seems to have given himself a slightly different title:
edfel wrote:Ketchup... unordered and incomplete, but it's still sold with the label "ketchup"

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>
No no no :oops: 'Tis not my map. This map was created by the holy cartographer edfel, who has been absent as of late, I'm sorry to note.
<snip>

Holy catographer :)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:26 am UTC

I'm going for an early coman+1 tonight. Don't produce 40 pages in nine hours like this thread used to do, please. I don't want to have to skip much more.

n+1coma coma chameleon
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri May 17, 2013 2:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 2:28 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Is there some process by which we may officialize that title for good edfel? I think his efforts show that he is well deserving of it.

Yes, there is. Or rather, there are several, but one in particular comes to mind.

First somebody has to nominate him for that title, or call him by that title. It could even be he himself (or her herself), but in this case, that requirement has already been met.

Next... well, there is no next. It is done. edfel is the Holy Cartographer. Now, arise and Wait For It. :)

(Of course, we still don't know which Church, if any, he or she wishes to affiliate with.)

Jose

Well, I presume I could add they to Time Foundation's staff.

Does he not need blessing from BlitzGirl? Perhaps our Inquisitor Dracomax can lend his opinion, or Cardinal Buffygirl.

Dracomax wrote:Harvey is a great name for A seven foot tall, invisible rabbit mulpy.

Agreed!

SBN wrote:Well, there's a minor problem... He seems to have given himself a slightly different title:
edfel wrote:Ketchup... unordered and incomplete, but it's still sold with the label "ketchup"

k.bookbinder wrote:<snip>
No no no :oops: 'Tis not my map. This map was created by the holy cartographer edfel, who has been absent as of late, I'm sorry to note.
<snip>

Holy catographer :)

Perhaps his full title could be His Meowjesty the Holy Catographer, Maker of TimeMap?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 am UTC

@Rule110 - I forgot about your poetic license. That won't happen again. *goes off to write more 2½ line parody changes*

HES wrote:
azule wrote:Lego Ninja'd! Nice! BTW, did you originally do the superscript "UK" or was that the edit? I feel like you copied my style...but damn the time vortex for not letting me see into edited pasts. :(

I copied your post to fake a ninjaing, in order to respond to said post. :oops:

Copying is the best form of plagiarism, as it is said. Your admission made me laugh so good. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 2:36 am UTC

@Blitzgirl, mscha - river model
@dracomax, angeltastic, azule - dragon-born pheonixes
@HAL9000 - siggification
@Cadellin - !!IMPORTANT!! - Completed river model

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo, ChronosDragon, bravo! Image

mscha wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, after a modest amount of hard work, I present to you: A Topographical Survey of the River and Surrounding Regions (ATSRSR) (snip)

Wonderful!
Of course, as is tradition in the OTT when someone presents a Present present, I'd like to ask for some enhancements. :wink:
Could you perhaps mark Cueball's and Megan's trails? (You have their positions, in principle.)
And perhaps the river²⁴ itself can be highlighted? (In blue perhaps, if that's not too heretical; highlighting in black might not work too well.)
(Feel free to ignore me, of course!)

Aww, thanks guys! And as soon as I have a bit of free time, sure thing! Cadellin was going to do a render with the river's water in place, but I can do a color-shift for the time being. Also the paths thing.

Dracomax wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Dracomax, you might know the answer to this: do dragons breathe phoenixes? If so, does it only happen when they've been eating eggs, or can it be at any time?

Aww, here I was thinking that jjjdavidson's paradoxical signature was hiding a message for one particular grapheme-colour synaesthete in the colours of 'steganographic sig'.

Naw. just reading through change notes for a game. Still, aggravating.
Obviously the first phoenix was a time lord. or born from nuclear fusion and electromagnetic storms creating a freak inteligence capable of shaping energy into matter. Whichever.

Also, not all flame is phoenix. Why on earth would you think dragons breathe phoenixes? We've been known to animate the dead to avoid having to pay delivery fees, but breathe phoenixes? that's just silly.

azule wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Dracomax, you might know the answer to this: do dragons breathe phoenixes? If so, does it only happen when they've been eating eggs, or can it be at any time?
This gets my head all a-flustered with thinking. Probably not a good idea. That would be great to have the interspecies connection (like bees and flowers, etc.). I'm thinking the dragon eats a struggling victim, and in order to keep it in it's mouth, chars it up with it's fire, with mouth closed. Finishes eating what is basically ash..... you see where I'm going with this... and the ash travels through the emflammation system *shrug* and gets breathed out as fire.... yes... reborn, as a phoenix. So, one day we could all be phoenix phoeniges.
Also, that means "bird-types" aren't the only kind of phoenix that could exist. Molpy-type phoenix could exist. :)

I can confirm that pheonixification is a regular practice for dragons in many parts of the world, and is in fact considered a rare honor for the parties involved...though the nomming itself is not very pleasant for the subject in question... he he :)

HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks! It's a holdover from my blitzing days.

I like Mopey Molpy Mome, too. I'll have to add it to my sig. :)

I guess that makes HAL the Peppy Pulpy Pope, then...

Sigged. Too cute not to.

Yay! I was sigged! :D

Cadellin wrote:Been away a while with work; did anyone get any further with the 3D model of the river from that flythrough sequence?

Cadellin - see my post!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 17, 2013 2:39 am UTC

NewData available up to roughly 3 hours ago.
Also prettyfication of the forum navigation
Also added direct links to pages of the Book of Time from the navigator. Now you all have no excuses for writing lots of fun stuff in there.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 2:42 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Edited to say no, it's not cancer. :)

Pregnant?

fhorn wrote:Late to the party, Outside stuff and all that, but for what it's worth:
Legos. Alla time.

But we'd say New York is in first place. That's sort of a team/players distinction.
I don't know that you have team mascots/nicknames the way we do, to make the comparison.
In any case, I'm going to play LEGO with my legos. I do get the brand protection thing, but I think in this case it is helping them. I don't go to the store for connecting bricks, I go to buy legos, and I get LEGO brand every time. But, long ago, I played with toys that had belonged to an earlier generation, that were small pieces of wood, with tiny bumps on one side, and tiny indentations on the other. These blocks existed before LEGO started making plastic bricks.
k.bookbinder wrote:Perhaps his full title could be His Meowjesty the Holy Catographer, Maker of TimeMap?

Seconded.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:NewData available up to roughly 3 hours ago.
Also added direct links to pages of the Book of Time from the navigator. Now you all have no excuses for writing lots of fun stuff in there.

Hmm, the external links thing seems to think I'm linking to my personal site constantly. Which... I mean, I guess technically I am since it's in my profile and there's that little link under my name, but shouldn't it only be counting things in actual posts?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 am UTC

SBN wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Edited to say no, it's not cancer. :)

Pregnant?

Nah, probably just caffeine overdose.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 2:46 am UTC

SBN wrote:But, long ago, I played with toys that had belonged to an earlier generation, that were small pieces of wood, with tiny bumps on one side, and tiny indentations on the other. These blocks existed before LEGO started making plastic bricks.

Lincoln Logs?

ETA: 7th post! (figured I'd better make this joke while I still can)

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 2:48 am UTC

"links to the outside" is now including links to the inside... is this deliberate?
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 am UTC

jetpac wrote:
SBN wrote:But, long ago, I played with toys that had belonged to an earlier generation, that were small pieces of wood, with tiny bumps on one side, and tiny indentations on the other. These blocks existed before LEGO started making plastic bricks.

Lincoln Logs?

ETA: 7th post! (figured I'd better make this joke while I still can)

Never played with those much. These were made of wood, but made to look like bricks, about 1 inch by 1.5 inches by .25 inches tall, with six bumps on the top and six matching dents on the bottom (Except they were quite old before I ever saw them, so many of the bumps were worn off to varying degrees.) No idea who made them, but they did seem to have been store-bought, I'm guessing in the 1930's, but possibly earlier.

Some Ways to Time

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 am UTC

Magnificent! As always, I am full of awe (but not awful) at your contributions to the Artifacts of Time.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 2:57 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Magnificent! As always, I am full of awe (but not awful) at your contributions to the Artifacts of Time.

That lexical drift is really awful. Or do I mean awesome?

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 am UTC

I don't have it in me to stay for the next ONG. I really need to fix this sleeping patter, by the time I've had my morning ketchup schools have finished for the day... Good dark pixels all.

(ChronosDragon, you mean awfulsome)
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

Aww, here I was thinking that jjjdavidson's paradoxical signature was hiding a message for one particular grapheme-colour synaesthete in the colours of 'steganographic sig'.

Naw. just reading through change notes for a game. Still, aggravating.
Obviously the first phoenix was a time lord. or born from nuclear fusion and electromagnetic storms creating a freak inteligence capable of shaping energy into matter. Whichever.

Also, not all flame is phoenix. Why on earth would you think dragons breathe phoenixes? We've been known to animate the dead to avoid having to pay delivery fees, but breathe phoenixes? that's just silly.

azule wrote:
This gets my head all a-flustered with thinking. Probably not a good idea. That would be great to have the interspecies connection (like bees and flowers, etc.). I'm thinking the dragon eats a struggling victim, and in order to keep it in it's mouth, chars it up with it's fire, with mouth closed. Finishes eating what is basically ash..... you see where I'm going with this... and the ash travels through the emflammation system *shrug* and gets breathed out as fire.... yes... reborn, as a phoenix. So, one day we could all be phoenix phoeniges.
Also, that means "bird-types" aren't the only kind of phoenix that could exist. Molpy-type phoenix could exist. :)

I can confirm that pheonixification is a regular practice for dragons in many parts of the world, and is in fact considered a rare honor for the parties involved...though the nomming itself is not very pleasant for the subject in question... he he :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1hWtMRxpk
Shh!!!Don't tell the lower species about the you know what.
Also, by the power vested in me by myself when nobody was looking, taken for the sole purpose of amusing myself by giving out absurd punishments for heresy, I hereby affirm the rank of "His Meowjesty the Holy Cartographer, Maker of the TimeMap?"
Upon Edfel. The question mark is part of the title, and may not be ommited.
*Ceremonial hands Edfel a gift basket of Non-heretic chocolate, a coupon for buy one, get one free at a local hardware store, and a gold plaque with his name engraved*
Go forth, map well, and refrain from heresy.
Last edited by Dracomax on Fri May 17, 2013 3:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 am UTC

MONGOL...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 am UTC

SBN wrote:
fhorn wrote:Late to the party, Outside stuff and all that, but for what it's worth:
Legos. Alla time.

But we'd say New York is in first place. That's sort of a team/players distinction.
I don't know that you have team mascots/nicknames the way we do, to make the comparison.

Ok, atrocious/erroneous/Randallawful example due to "Yankees" instead of NY. (Haha, wrecked my own argument, of course it's "NY is in first place...") How about this one, Brits out there (who are actually asleep and by the time they uncoma this will all be many newpages behind):
Liverpool have just scored a goal, or
Liverpool has just scored a goal

American English is "NY has won the World Series for the 27th time."
and "Bank of America is..." but I think UK English is "NatWest are...."
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:Also, by the power vested in me by myself when nobody was looking, taken for the sole purpose of amusing myself by giving out absurd punishments for heresy, I hereby affirm the rank of "His Meowjesty the Holy Cartographer, Maker of the TimeMap"
Upon Edfel. The question mark is part of the title, and may not be ommited.
*Ceremonial hands Edfel a gift basket of Non-heretic chocolate, a coupon for buy one, get one free at a local hardware store, and a gold plaque with his name engraved*
Go forth, map well, and refrain from heresy.

FTFY: His title should not be a question. I realize that ending my question with his title and a question mark was misleading. My apologies.

Congrats Edfel! You're...not allergic to cats are you? That would be awkward.

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 17, 2013 3:35 am UTC

Well, I've caught up since last night, made no replies, and will try to do so tomorrow. So many great things today. Coma.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:
Legos. Alla time.

Ok, atrocious/erroneous/Randallawful example due to "Yankees" instead of NY. (Haha, wrecked my own argument, of course it's "NY is in first place...") How about this one, Brits out there (who are actually asleep and by the time they uncoma this will all be many newpages behind):
Liverpool have just scored a goal, or
Liverpool has just scored a goal

American English is "NY has won the World Series for the 27th time."
and "Bank of America is..." but I think UK English is "NatWest are...."

Depends what one is talking about. I've noticed when I'm talking about game companies I'll often use plural, e.g. "Valve are about to release Half Life 3."* Most other times when referring to a company or organization I'll use singular.

*Logistical impossibilities aside.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 am UTC

'Tis been a slow night. Perhaps the morning ketchup will have something of interest, but now I must coma.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 am UTC

CONGALINE

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri May 17, 2013 4:44 am UTC

So what did we learn from that recent bout of dialogue?

- They are considering building a raft, presumably to cross the river. So they are not expecting to stumble across a bridge any time soon.

- They didn't know if there are/were people in these hills (unlike the other hills). The discovery is interesting but not particularly alarming or exciting.

- There's been no other evidence of the people in these hills yet (unless you count broad deforestation), so that seems to indicate some kind of pre-modern or post-apocalyptic scenario. There would be pretty few places where you could walk for this long without encountering *any* sign of human presence. (Excluding places where it is difficult or impossible for unprepared humans to go, in which case, well, you couldn't walk for this long.)

- There was some speculation that those flat bits they crossed in the hills might be abandoned roads or paved areas. Presumably these were either naturally occurring or evidence of non-recent human occupation - either way, not worthy of comment.

- They are interested in trees and birds, enough to stop and look at them (and occasionally take samples), but not enough to talk about them.

Hmmm, it's interesting that you can infer as much from what they don't talk about as what they do.

In the big picture, I'm struggling to work out what they are trying to achieve by going upriver. Yes they want to understand everything, but the main question is about the rising sea level, and they have already decided that this river is not contributing to that. So what are they hoping to learn by following it?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 4:45 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Re. Lego vs. Legos - One of the reasons I've always found "Legos" weird and wrong (other than being British and therefore used to "Lego") is because it's this weird thing Americans have done with just this ONE brand. Like you don't see anyone referring to other similar products in the same way, nobody ever talks about "Knexes" or "Meccanos" or calls pieces of model train track "Hornbys"...

Edit: I see BlitzGirl's hamster smiley and raise you a dancing one.

K'nex already sounds plural when you say it outloud. I've never heard of Meccanos or Hornbys. :mrgreen:

I also came to the realization that I'm getting grumpy over this because I don't normally like being lumped in with Americans... nor do I typically lump a group of people together based on their nationality. It's like hating all muslims for the radicals. Guess I need to get over it, though. I wish I had that hamster gif around here somewhere.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 4:52 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:In the big picture, I'm struggling to work out what they are trying to achieve by going upriver. Yes they want to understand everything, but the main question is about the rising sea level, and they have already decided that this river is not contributing to that. So what are they hoping to learn by following it?

On the one hand, it could be a purely exploratory venture. They've never been this far before, and xkcd characters are notoriously curious.

On the other hand, I still stand by my theory that they want to dam the river at its source to try and stop the flow.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 am UTC

SBN wrote:
jetpac wrote:I've always heard it called a wheelbarrow. What else is it?

Apparently there are places in the US where it is a wheel-barrel.

In reference to the wheelbarrow.. I have a feeling 'wheel-barrel' might just be a redneck misspell. Like those people who say nucular instead of nuclear. :x ya know cause i aint ever heard none of that.

HAL9000 wrote:
HES wrote:@HAL
Spoiler:

Thank you <3

Yay!! I'm in a comic. :mrgreen: Hats to you, ser.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri May 17, 2013 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri May 17, 2013 5:04 am UTC

DildONG

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 17, 2013 5:07 am UTC

[Scene 5: exterior, day, wide shot]
A party of clerics appears over a grassy hill in animated conversation, and continues their approach down the hill. It is a beautiful clear day, and their flowing yellow robes make a striking contrast with the blue sky and the verdant slopes of the hillside. The camera pans as they approach us, revealing a river further down in the valley. Suddenly they stop.

[close-up]
The leader of the group, the third scribe, scans the horizon meaningfully.
[medium shot]
Focused on the leading members of the group:
The third scribe considers what he has seen.
third scribe wrote:A river.
first scribe wrote:Neat!
second scribe wrote:No, not "neat".
first scribe wrote:I think it's neat.
second scribe wrote:Well, you are an imbecile! The river is small.
first scribe wrote:It doesn't look all that small to me.
second scribe wrote:That's because we're so high.
third scribe wrote:We wouldn't be so high if you didn't put all those berries in the coffee this morning.
second scribe wrote:They were small berries.
third scribe wrote:No, the river is small.
first scribe wrote:Not small enough to fit in the coffee cups.
second scribe wrote:The river is small. The berries are smaller.
first scribe wrote:Brilliant! But we still don't know where we are.

From the back of the group comes another figure, whose elaborate robes flow with his strides. He parts the group as he comes forward. It is the First Cleric
First Cleric wrote:What is going on? Why are we stopped?
first scribe wrote:We are lost.
Spoiler:
First Cleric wrote:How can we be lost? The river is there. The hills are here. We go down, we'll get to the river.
third scribe wrote:I saw the river first.
second scribe wrote:Do you know which river it is?
third scribe wrote:What do you mean "which river"?

He points to the river
third scribe wrote:It's that river.

By this time a few other of the clerics, who have been towards the back of the party, have come forward to participate.
third cleric wrote:Yes, it most certainly is that river. But is it the same river whence we came?
third scribe wrote:Yes. Uh... no? Ummm

[wide aerial shot]
The third scribe is lifted up by an unseen force and tossed down the hill, where he tumbles and tumbles and eventually is too far away to see, even though the camera has zoomed in as far as it can.
third scribe wrote:AAAAaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!!
first scribe [offscreen] wrote:Neat!
second scribe [offscreen] wrote:No, not "neat".

[close-up]
The First Cleric and third cleric look at each other
First Cleric and third cleric together wrote:Third Base!
fourth cleric wrote:This does not really solve our problem. We are here, the river is there, and we don't know how to get there from here.
First Cleric wrote:Consult the Book of Armaments!
The second scribe looks at the First Cleric
second scribe wrote:Is he daft?
first scribe wrote:Either that or I want more berries.
The first scribe addresses the group:
first scribe wrote: Bring out the Book of Armaments!

The camera widens out and follows him as he makes his way to the back of the group. There is a flurry of activity as chests are put down and opened, and various knickknacks are tossed out of it, until a Holy Tome is reverently retrieved from it. It is handed to the first scribe, who, in a procession of several clerics, solemnly starts walking back with it to the First Cleric. He stops midway though, somewhat puzzled.
first scribe wrote:Music. There should be music here.
seventh cleric wrote:Yes. Where's the music. Where's the bloody music??
fifth cleric wrote:Are you sure you have the right Book?
first scribe wrote:Book of Armaments. Yes, that is what the First Cleric called for.
fifth cleric wrote:The First Cleric is an eejit. No wonder we're lost. Where's the feckin' Pope when you need him?
first scribe wrote:Well, to be honest with you, I don't think our Pope has all that much under his bald spot either.

[cut to wide shot]
POV: the front of the group, looking down the hill at the river. We see the third scribe making his way back up the hill. He is writing on a scroll as he walks. The camera trucks back so we can see the First Cleric in medium shot, pacing, oblivious to the third scribe making his way up the hill. In fact, he is oblivious to pretty much everything.
First Cleric wrote:what is keeping them? And why am I not hearing Glorious Music as the Book of Armaments is brought to me? Where is my Book of Armaments?
first scribe wrote:Right here, your Popewannabeness.

The First Cleric takes the Book hurriedly and starts leafing through the pages.
First Cleric wrote:Let's see, Holy Mace of Molpy... no. Holy Dagger of Dilgunnerang... no. Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch... that doesn't even make sense. Antioch doesn't begin with an 'H'. Holy Arrow of Armageddon... yes! let's use that. It can point us the way to our destination.

At this time the third scribe comes into the picture, bedraggled from his climb back up the hill.
third scribe wrote:Look, First Cleric - I have created a Map!
First Cleric wrote:What manner of sorcery is that?

third scribe wrote:Here - look! I have drawn a line from where I was to where I am... and I have drawn other lines too! And if we follow those lines, we shall find our way to our destination!
first scribe wrote:It's worth a shot. I'm not too thrilled about that Armageddon stuff.

[close up]
The First Cleric thinks.
First Cleric wrote:Did we bring the Holy Arrow of Armageddon?
second scribe wrote:No, I think we left it at the beach.

The First Cleric thinks some more.
First Cleric wrote:Very well then. We will use this Map thing. This had better work.

The group sets out, the camera pans to follow them for a bit, and then lets them walk out of frame down the hill.
[fade out]
[fade in: exterior, evening]

It is sunset. A small campfire is burning; the Pope is tending the fire. There are noises coming from offscreen - an approaching party. The camera pans to show that it is the party of clerics and scribes we had left the scene before. The First Cleric is proudly leading the party, which is accompanied by the music of pipes and krumhorns and other strange and beautiful instruments. The Pope gets up and walks back into the frame.
First Cleric wrote:We have returned, victorious! We have found the Tree of Holy Berries.
second scribe wrote:And it's Neat!
first scribe wrote:I thought you said it wasn't neat.
second scribe wrote:No, the tree is neat.
first scribe wrote:Actually, it looked a little messy to me, with all the leaves and stuff.
the Pope wrote:How did you find your way back? I thought surely you were lost.
fifth cleric wrote:He was probably was hoping for it.
First Cleric wrote:A most Glorious Thing happened. We got lost.
the Pope wrote:Yes, that would be glorious, wouldn't it.
First Cleric wrote:... but I consulted the Holy Map, and I led us here.
the Pope wrote:Whence this... "map" thing?
second scribe wrote:It was the third scribe. He went off himself on a Holy Quest, and came back with enlightenment!

the second scribe hands the Pope the scroll with the lines on it. The Pope examines it.
the Pope wrote:The third scribe? This is most glorious. Stand forward!

There is some movement in the crowd, but nobody steps forward.
the Pope wrote:Don't be shy. You have done a most wonderful thing. Let me see this "map" you have created.

The third scribe comes forward.
the Pope wrote:What is thy name, ye who is humble in greatness?
third scribe wrote:It is edfel, your great Pontiffness.
the Pope wrote:Well, edfel, you have done a Great Deed. Arise and kneel.

edfel walks up to the Pope and kneels before him. The Pope raises high his hands and intones:
the Pope wrote:As Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, in recognition of your Great Deed in creating a Holy Scroll with lines and labels and symbols and things, wherefore to guide us all whence and whither we wander, do I hereby Bless and Consecrate you and your Map and all lines and labels and symbols and things upon it, and I bestow upon thee, edfel, the title of Holy Catographer, that it be known for all Time, and for all of time, that any that are lost may gain enlightenment through you and your Map.
First Cleric wrote:Cartographer! Cartographer!. He can't even get a simple blessing right!
first scribe wrote:shush!
the Pope wrote:Arise edfel, your Meowjesty. It is sunset, there are berry trees, and there shall be a Great Feast in celebration of your Marvelous Map! Come, join us all and Wait For It!

The music starts up again, and the celebration begins as the camera pulls back to frame the dancing clerics and scribes against the sunset and the river.
[fade out]
Jose
<--previous (NP 626) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 672)-->
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 24, 2013 5:08 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Fri May 17, 2013 5:08 am UTC

This is never going to end, is it?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Don't you think it strange that Megan and Cueball haven't mentioned that buzzing sound? It would drive me mad.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Fri May 17, 2013 5:09 am UTC

wow, 4 newpix on one page.. guess the OTT is dead
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 5:11 am UTC

ucim wrote:[exterior, day, wide shot]
A party of clerics appears over a grassy hill in animated conversation, and continues their approach down the hill. It is a beautiful clear day, and their flowing yellow robes make a striking contrast with the blue sky and the verdant slopes of the hillside. The camera pans as they approach us, revealing a river further down in the valley. Suddenly they stop.
<snip>
Jose

Great, as usual :D I like how it summarizes the thread while simultaneously summarizing the events of the comic. Very neat4.

4Like a tree!

Edit: It's quiet in here. Gonna coma, Chapter 1 of The Case of the Little River coming tomorrow night, I swear!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”