1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri May 17, 2013 11:08 am UTC

HES wrote:
Kieryn wrote:NewData available up to roughly 3 hours ago.
Also prettyfication of the forum navigation
Also added direct links to pages of the Book of Time from the navigator. Now you all have no excuses for writing lots of fun stuff in there.

"links to the outside" is now including links to the inside... is this deliberate?

Kind of deliberate... I loosened the criteria because I was excluding some things that people thought ought to be included. Could you let me know which links I'm including that you think I should not be and I will refine further.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 17, 2013 11:14 am UTC

I feel like a probably-will-be-proven-wrong prediction.

Within 10 Newpix they will have found wood enough to build a raft. They will spend 2 newpix dragging it to the river1. They will give up. They will meet up to the river 3 newpix after that. They will follow it for 5 newpix, then they will find a bridge and cross.

1not as big a the sea2.
2big.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I feel like a probably-will-be-proven-wrong prediction.
Within 10 Newpix they will have found wood enough to build a raft. They will spend 2 newpix dragging it to the river1. They will give up. They will meet up to the river 3 newpix after that. They will follow it for 5 newpix, then they will find a bridge and cross.

(Whew, forum back after hanging for a few decinewpix...)
That prediction is so specific, it can't possibly be right.
So it'll probably turn out exactly as you say. :P
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 am UTC

fhorn wrote:American English is "NY has won the World Series for the 27th time."
and "
Spoiler:
Bank of America
is..." but I think UK English is "NatWest are...."

Ok, we've discussed this. You can't use that as an example.

Valarya wrote:K'nex already sounds plural when you say it outloud. I've never heard of Meccanos or Hornbys.

I also came to the realization that I'm getting grumpy over this because I don't normally like being lumped in with Americans... nor do I typically lump a group of people together based on their nationality. It's like hating all muslims for the radicals. Guess I need to get over it, though. I wish I had that hamster gif around here somewhere.

Americans do have some unique ways we use English, compared to the rest of the world, but other things we don't lump very well. That whole "melting pot" thing never really worked. We're more of a salad. I don't know what Meccanos or Hornbys are either.

Valarya wrote:
SBN wrote:
jetpac wrote:I've always heard it called a wheelbarrow. What else is it?

Apparently there are places in the US where it is a wheel-barrel.

In reference to the wheelbarrow.. I have a feeling 'wheel-barrel' might just be a redneck misspell. Like those people who say nucular instead of nuclear. :x ya know cause i aint ever heard none of that.

Interestingly, the first time I heard this discussed, the argument was being made that wheelbarrow is the "redneck" form. There are definitely non-redneck Americans who were taught it as being a wheel-barrel. And there is some possibility that they at one point were slightly different things. A barrow is roughly a carrying-board, so the distinction may come from how curved the sides are. "I'll get the wheelbarrow" "No, use the wheel-barrel, this stuff will fall off the wheelbarrow" Ok, I can't imagine that conversation actually happening, but never mind that. Also, I'm hyphenating wheel-barrel just to keep spell check from complaining about it, since you are correct that wheelbarrow is the only term in common use today. (But there are enough other old folks here that I'm a little surprised none of them fell in the group that was taught barrel in school.)

xpatiate wrote:In the big picture, I'm struggling to work out what they are trying to achieve by going upriver. Yes they want to understand everything, but the main question is about the rising sea level, and they have already decided that this river is not contributing to that. So what are they hoping to learn by following it?

They are trying to find a way across, to continue searching the coastline for what is making the sea rise.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 am UTC

It bothers me that although they are supposed to be going directly to the river, now, the ground has actually risen slightly (a few pixels) in each of the last two shots. Either they've still got a ways to go, or they're crossing a flood plain. In the latter case, I'm afraid of them running into boggy ground, even quicksand. (Yes, they've got rope, but it would slow them down even more.)
────────
On an unrelated note: Has anyone, by chance, been maintaining a list of coinages / neologisms from the OTT? Not just the major ones like timeframe or blitzgirling or buffydashery, but also the ONGs and random little one-post gags?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri May 17, 2013 11:49 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Micro-Blitz-Report:

Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:ETA: PFAN, and my 200th post! Um, uterus! Fallopian tubes! Did I do that right?

This cracked me up! And "fallopian tube" is now going to be my new go-to: "Stop being a fallopian tube!" "Geeez! you see the way he cut you off in traffic? What a fallopian tube!" :lol:

Dracomax wrote:
HES wrote:
Dracomax wrote:now give the flow to Megan! I've only been saying it since vegetation appeared.

That would make for a beautifully awkward moment :D

yikes! that's almost as bad as the counts typo!

Maybe. Or maybe not. It could be a good thing, as in helping her be more in-the-moment and attuned to all that happens around her -- to be able to better "go with the flow," so to speak. Or it could be something like a fear from the dark ages that believes that menstruation is contagious...

Hmmm... First fallopian tubes and now menstruation -- what's next? a revisit of the 'quim' discussion?

Smithers wrote:ONGTHEROADAGAIN
With credit to Willie Nelson
Ong the road again
Just can't wait to get ong the road again.
The life I love is waitin' for it with my friends
And I can't wait to get ong the road again.

Ong the road again
Goin' places that I've never been.
Seein' things that I may never see again
I can't wait to get ong the road again.

Ong the road again
Like a thread of posters we go down the highway
We're the best of friends.
Insisting that the frames keep turning our way
And our way
is ong the road again.

<instrumental>

Ong the road again
Like a thread of posters we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the frames keep turning our way
And our way
is ong the road again.
And I can't wait to get ong the road again. I find it interesting to consider the different approaches to song paradies. I generally try to make as few changes as possible in order to fit a new theme, although others will change the lyrics entirely, preserving only the tune. I don't consider either to be superior, they are merely alternatives.

Awesome rendition, Smithers! That's a tune I've had rolling around the back of my mind for a while, too, and I like what you did with it! My approach is to shoot for something in the middle -- keep the rhyme and meter as much as possible, but redo the lyrics to fit what I'm writing about.

Dracomax wrote:Yet another poor attempt at making music...
To the tune of Gilligan's Isle
Now, sit right down and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful stick
that started from this sandy beach, With the castles built up thick

Megan was a mighty thinking lass,
and cueball brave but thick
Two travelers set off the xip
for a Three new pix trek
a three newpix trek.

FOr the sea it started rising fast
The far right tower lost
if they didn't find the cause
the castle would be the cost
the castle'd be the cost

The duo set out over this deserted desert land

With LaPetite,
Cueball too

The river that is small
Magan and a lot of land,
here on cueballs trek.
here on Cueballs trek.

Another great parody! Great work! It's probably a sign of how I was damaged by too much TV at an early age, but while I can forget what my wife asked me to bring home from the store in a phone conversation ten minutes ago, I can remember every episode of Gilligan's Isle...

Exodies wrote:We often imagine that the OTC is influenced by the Tread, and sometimes it stretches credibility to think the synchronicity is coincidence. But what if the Tread is influenced by the OTC?

??? I'm perplexed... I've, I've just never imagined this. Maybe I should go out and start measuring my tires to determine if there is a correlation between what happens in the OTC and thy depth of my tread. I'll report my findings as data is accumulated...

Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:Here is the new molpy. it looks like it is moving sideways slightly

molpy.gif

Is it just me, or does that look like a periscope??? Maybe the molpy is a grass-submarine!!!

BlitzGirl wrote:I must have a serious Sudoku addiction... I did the puzzle anyway... Even though it wasn't a real puzzle......help...

*sigh* ...just see "image" with no image, again. I'll have to use my "I-imagine"-image-imagination for now...

Rule110 wrote:The Alt-Text
<snip>

Hit this again and still love it!!!

ttscp wrote:Thoughts on the OTC and the nature of Story
<snip>
The more I think about this, the less sure I am of any conclusions. I don't even know if this is a story, it has some elements of one, but others defy the conventions. I don't know whether it will loop or end or (in theory) go on forever.

I figured I'd offer my thoughts and see what anyone else on this (intelligent, articulate and above all handsome) OTT had to offer.

Wonderful analysis, and I have to agree: 1380+ newpixesses into the OTC, nearly 640 pages into the OTT, and "I don't know" is the best any of us can manage as an answer. The pacing has lagged at times, but for holding suspense and uncertainty as to what will happen, the GLR has shown himself to be a true master.

HES wrote:"Hotel California"
"Randall's One True Comic"

Internet on a dark night, see cool things that are there
Warm smell of a coffee1, rising up through the air
Coming in through the curtains, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I hadn't stopped for the night!
There I sat, tired at my desk;
I hadn't comaed well;
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then I sipped on my coffee1, refreshed the demons away,
There were voices on the One True Thread,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to Randall's One True Comic
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely pace
Plenty of Time in Randall's One True Comic
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

My mind is definitely twisted, wondering "what if it ends"
I got a lot of pretty, pretty hats, I call friends
We don't want it to be like, the horror that was LOST.
Or the ones who cancelled firefly, turning fire to frost!

So I called up the P-FAN,
"Please bring me newpix"
He said, "We haven't had a new ONG here since what outsiders call 'six'"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Keep you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to Randall's One True Comic
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely pace
We're livin' it up for Randall's One True Comic
Making awesome things (making awesome things)
like dinosaurs with wings!

On this needle-pulled thing,
[your name]'s really nice,
But [s]he said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the inquisition,
They gathered for the feast
They pelt it with their M&M's,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the outsider I was before
"Relax," said the night bots,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can log-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

Wow -- another fabulous job! Excellent work, HES!!! :D

ucim wrote:I am certain that Randall is not "just messing with our heads". He has a tale to tell, and it will be worth waiting for.

Excellent analysis also, but I disagree to a degree -- I think "messing with our heads" is a central tenet of humor, and Randall does a great job of it while telling his tale. And it will be worth Waiting for. It already has been, if only for all the awesomeness of the OTT, regardless of the outcome of the OTC...

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I'm wondering when they may start hallucinating from those berries and how GLR might depict that...
EDIT: As a fun exercise, how would we depict that?

Awesome! Reminds me of some Grateful Dead shows... :wink:

And speaking -- again -- of Lego(s), Is there anyone besides me that thinks it's awesome that girls play with Lego? Because it makes them...
Lego Lasses:

Wow, you're really getting into the 'everything's connected' jive aintcha?
And we're all in this together.

I wonder why other people needed to make a camp, when M&C don't.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote: Blitzing to catch up is still perfectly okay, as long as you only respond to things when you have something especially important or clever to say.

I only bother saying important and clever somethings.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 am UTC

Remember, the rivers were considered dangerous to cross, and Megan wouldn't let Cueball attempt it.

Also, we don't see all of the time Megball spend, as we know distance and time have been skipped at unknown, inconsistent rates. It is possible that they have made camp several times, but until now it was irrelevant to GLR's plan. It's also possible they don't like to make fire, or that they enjoy "roughing" it. We don't know. Let's find out.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:It bothers me that although they are supposed to be going directly to the river, now, the ground has actually risen slightly (a few pixels) in each of the last two shots. Either they've still got a ways to go, or they're crossing a flood plain. In the latter case, I'm afraid of them running into boggy ground, even quicksand. (Yes, they've got rope, but it would slow them down even more.)

The river could have cliffs, then the ground can go up without it being soggy. That would indicate a waterfall higher upriver though.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Remember, the rivers were considered dangerous to cross, and Megan wouldn't let Cueball attempt it.
Also, we don't see all of the time Megball spend, as we know distance and time have been skipped at unknown, inconsistent rates. It is possible that they have made camp several times, but until now it was irrelevant to GLR's plan. It's also possible they don't like to make fire, or that they enjoy "roughing" it. We don't know. Let's find out.

It could also be warmer than when the camp⁵ was made.
Also, it was a larger group that made the camp (with the pope himself in charge of the campfire), and they probably stayed a while while a few scribes and a cleric were off on a mission of discovery and catography.⁶

Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 4:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

NONGREMIAL...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: look out, Cueball, don't step on those rabbird⁶ eggs!

⁶: TBD
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 4:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:NONGREMIAL...

Edit: look out, Cueball, don't step on those rabbird⁵ eggs!

⁵: TBD

I prefer Lagomorpha-Raptors

...and not just because it sounds like lego...
“have i gone mad?

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:It bothers me that although they are supposed to be going directly to the river, now, the ground has actually risen slightly (a few pixels) in each of the last two shots. Either they've still got a ways to go, or they're crossing a flood plain. In the latter case, I'm afraid of them running into boggy ground, even quicksand. (Yes, they've got rope, but it would slow them down even more.)

The river could have cliffs, then the ground can go up without it being soggy. That would indicate a waterfall higher upriver though.

The noise of a waterfall would also explain why Megan was certain that the river wasn't far, even though she's never been here before.

mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Remember, the rivers were considered dangerous to cross, and Megan wouldn't let Cueball attempt it.

It could also be warmer than when the camp⁴ was made.
Also, it was a larger group that made the camp (with the pope himself in charge of the campfire), and they probably stayed a while while a few scribes and a cleric were off on a mission of discovery and catography.

We really haven't had any overt evidence of seasons, have we? Vegetation has been sparse and inconclusive; many shrubs and even some deciduous trees keep their leaves all winter. Even the berries aren't particularly helpful; holly berries, I know, ripen in winter (although they're not good food for people). All we've had is behavioral evidence─napping on the sand, swimming in the sea─and all that shows is that the weather isn't intolerably cold.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I prefer Lagomorpha-Raptors

We do need a cutesy name, though. (Like procompsognathus => compy.)
Any suggestions? I can't think of anything better than lagoraptor, and that's not cute enough.

jjjdavidson wrote:holly berries

I read that as “holy berries”. Which is probably what they are, considering their effects...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Any suggestions? I can't think of anything better than lagoraptor, and that's not cute enough.

Morp? Pharap? Morphas?
Lago? (It can be pluralyzed, because it isn't a danish trademark... :wink: )
“have i gone mad?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

We could call it a Legociraptor:

he/him/his

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:

Morp? Pharap? Morphas?

Lagos? There's a guy there with $13 million who wants to give me 5% if I'll help him transfer it to a bank in London. I got this letter, see...

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
HAL9000 wrote: Blitzing to catch up is still perfectly okay, as long as you only respond to things when you have something especially important or clever to say.

I only bother saying important and clever somethings.

If we all do that it'll make blitzing much easier, but I'm not sure it'll be so much fun here.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:We could call it a Legociraptor:(Image spoilered)
Spoiler:

That doesn't have wings, or bunny ears!

Note for anyone who didn't catch it-Lagomorpha is the family that includes Rabbits, Hares, and Pikas- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagomorpha. Raptor, generally refering to a class of birds-of-prey(No, not these.) It is also a common term for Velociraptors, which were introduced to popular awareness in the Movie Jurassic Park(although those were actually Deinonychus, but the size and with the snout of the Utaraptor, and no feathers).Original research

ETA: Fun fact: Deinonychus was the original fossil that got scientists thinking that dinosaurs might A) have been warm blooded, and B) the ancestors of the modern bird. It is because of Deinonychus that we know we live with dinosaurs.
“have i gone mad?

Swein

Postby Swein » Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

Sidenote: Does anybody know if there is some kind of grassifyer that GLR may use to quickly populate his landscape with grass?
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 17, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:That doesn't have wings, or bunny ears!

True, but I class it as awesome enough to still count.

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

mscha wrote:They don't seem to be very good fliers...

Also, waiting for dialogue, we simply must have a canonical adjective to describe these creatures. (Edit: and don't say “neat”, Megan, think of something new.)

*Clears throat* I believe that it would not be inaccurate to describe them as some kind of Ardeidae. Bills are wrong for Ibis and dubbing them as egrets is indeterminable as we cannot see coloration of bills or legs. Therefore, a species of heron would be general enough to be accurate, but leave room for more specific identification at a later time, should that be possible, and we might have cause to rename them as egrets (should additional identifying characteristics become available). I cannot say for sure,at this time, if they are molpy related or not. It is possible. We know that birds are dinosaurs (I feel strongly that objections to such irrefutable fact is heresy). Perhaps we can come to a consensus that Time is populated by Time Raptors (which resemble Osprey) and Molpy Herons (which resemble herons/egrets).

Edit: Oh, and herons and egrets, and other similar wading birds, are somewhat awkward during lift off. Their elegance can be seem in flight, or in the slow, patient, deliberate way in which they wade through shallow water. But during take off, they are less than dignified in appearance (or so I have always thought). Landings tend to be a bit better (especially when they are in breeding plumage, for they really show off their stuff with wings spread and turned down as they slow decent on touch down).
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

²ONG!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

They made it!

Perhaps those earlier campers bagged a molpy and rigged up a spit to turn it on?

I wonder why is it unusual or comment-worthy that other people have been here at all? We know there are people in the Small River Hills, and it doesn't seem to have been too difficult for Megball to wander over this way on an impromptu exploratory stroll. Couldn't somebody else have done the same thing? Are the Small River Hill People all unquestioning homebodies, and these two are actually the first ones (in a while, at least) to go exploring?

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

A possible artist's rendition of a Lagomorpha-raptor:
“have i gone mad?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 17, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

They found the river1! Yaay! No waterfall though.

1Not as big as the sea
Big

he/him/his

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:²ONG!
Spoiler:

I feel that this is a glorious morning. They have found that which is small when compared to the sea1, the river2. Also, I believe it reinforces good Edfel's map. I believe his cartographic predictions about the path of river and the path of Cuegan's journey to be very accurate.

1It is big.
2It is small.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:They found the river1! Yaay! No waterfall though.

1Not as big as the sea
Big

It is presumed that they may have actually passed the waterfall. See here. Perhaps the GLR, Creator of Time, did not intend us to see such a marvel.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Fri May 17, 2013 1:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I feel that this is a glorious morning. They have found that which is small when compared to the sea1, the river2. Also, I believe it reinforces good Edfel's map. I believe his cartographic predictions about the path of river and the path of Cuegan's journey to be very accurate.

Randall bless the Holy Catographer!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

1Not as big as the sea
Big

It is presumed that they may have actually passed the waterfall. See [url=http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.svg]here[url]. Perhaps the GLR, Creator of Time, did not intend us to see such a marvel.

Also, While I am sure that GLR could do it, it would be more difficult to represent a waterfall in 2D from this angle. He could show the Waterfall in profile, but that would take an establishing shot, and there is every indication that they are far enough from said waterfall that it would not likely be worth it.
“have i gone mad?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:

Morp? Pharap? Morphas?

Rabtor?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

1Not as big as the sea
Big

It is presumed that they may have actually passed the waterfall. See [url=http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.svg]here[url]. Perhaps the GLR, Creator of Time, did not intend us to see such a marvel.

Also, While I am sure that GLR could do it, it would be more difficult to represent a waterfall in 2D from this angle. He could show the Waterfall in profile, but that would take an establishing shot, and there is every indication that they are far enough from said waterfall that it would not likely be worth it.

You must always been mindful of your statements Inquisitor, or you may find yourself in your own comfy chair, pelting yourself with day old m&m's. Of course, GLR could do it. And without difficulty, I'm sure. He chose not to as it was his will, and it is not for us to question his will for his will is ineffable!1

1Long has it been since I've had to say that.

suzi

Postby suzi » Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Stop calling them raptors, they're clearly herons of some sort, this is embarrassing. If these make it into the canon as raptors, OTT has become dogmatic and fanatical. The descent into extremism begins.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri May 17, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Landings tend to be a bit better (especially when they are in breeding plumage, for they really show off their stuff with wings spread and turned down as they slow decent on touch down).

For noone it is decent to show off his stuff, not even during a slow descent.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

suzi wrote:Stop calling them raptors, they're clearly herons of some sort, this is embarrassing. If these make it into the canon as raptors, OTT has become dogmatic and fanatical. The descent into extremism begins.

bunny-birds?
And welcome to the tread, please hold the handrails during the descent.

Some Ways to Time

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

suzi wrote:Stop calling them raptors, they're clearly herons of some sort, this is embarrassing. If these make it into the canon as raptors, OTT has become dogmatic and fanatical. The descent into extremism begins.

They're clearly tiny flamingos
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Again I would like to point out that dinosaurs are birds and birds are dinosaurs. Ornithologically, the Molpy Heron is a heron and not a raptor (such as are falcons and hawks), but in regards to dinosauria, being a carnivorous bird, and not herbivorous, a heron is a predator which stalks it's prey bipedally. Therefore, it is resembling, in appearance and behavior, that of a Raptor. Therefore, the Molpy Heron (that is my nomenclature and has not been agreed upon by all, yet) may be described as a wading bird of the family Ardeidae, or a Raptor. QED.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri May 17, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Have you even followed the OTT? it's gone through so many stages of dogmatism and fanatacism (and back again)that it could probably be measured in revolutions per timeframe.

and we aren't talking about the bird that took flight, we are talking about the bird that turned into a rabbit.

Seriously, the Raptor part bothers you, but the rabbit part is okay? I'd have thought it would be the other way around myself. The raptor part is at least a bird, and thus far more likely to be true than otherwise.

And as regards the accusation of heresy against me--I didn't say GLR couldn't do it with ease--I even pointed out how he could do it. I just said that it could require more work than not showing it if we are to understand it, especially if it isn't important to the revelations GLR wishes to give unto us.
Last edited by Dracomax on Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

suzi

Postby suzi » Fri May 17, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Again I would like to point out that dinosaurs are birds and birds are dinosaurs. Ornithologically, the Molpy Heron is a heron and not a raptor (such as are falcons and hawks), but in regards to dinosauria, being a carnivorous bird, and not herbivorous, a heron is a predator which stalks it's prey bipedally. Therefore, it is resembling, in appearance and behavior, that of a Raptor. Therefore, the Molpy Heron (that is my nomenclature and has not been agreed upon by all, yet) may be described as a wading bird of the family Ardeidae, or a Raptor. QED.

I'm okay with this dual classification, as long as we do call them the Molpy Heron.

edit: I don't think I've posted on these forums for 5 years (though I've been stalking the OTT) and this is what pulled me in???

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:And as regards the accusation of heresy against me--I didn't say GLR couldn't do it with ease--I even pointed out how he could do it. I just said that it could require more work than not showing it if we are to understand it, especially if it isn't important to the revelations GLR wishes to give unto us.

Be not offended. I did not say you were heretical, only implied that your statements were...uncomfortably close to heresy. Hence the need for the comfy chair, for who likes to be uncomfortable?

I agree with you very much, though, in concluding that GLR shows us only what we need to know. All else is left to conjecture because it is not so important in understanding the greater meaning (whatever that may be, if there is one at all, and which is really the whole point of the OTT isn't it).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”