1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jetpac

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jetpac » Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Well great, now I'm hungry

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't think Cuegan can be that lost; they seem to have been following the Riverfootnote.

footnoteI can't remember what number the "pretty neat" footer is supposed to be.

That's a bit annoying, we now have competing footnote standards. Could be ³, could be ⁵, depending on which standard you're following. :?
Edit: of course, this is how we fix that. ;)

Finally, the footnotes are meeting the OTT standard of multiple, confusing standards.

Good. Good. It is happening as planned.

I think we can create one encompassing standard based on the three incompatible ones.
We simply prefix each footnote with (o) for Opibole's standard, (a) for airdrik's, and (m) for mine. (m)3, huh?

And then there were four...

This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

I am sure if we put effort into obtaining said goali we could reach that abilityi within 20NPii.

icommunicating in footnote markings
iiNewpage
Last edited by Opiboble on Fri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Now how about an movie?
Spoiler:

Treeish! I didn't realise until more than halfway through that it wasn't just water rising and waves sloshing around, but actually a pan through the terrain.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:

This is actually a running gag in my PnP RPG:
Human peasant: "turn left where the barn used to be"
Orc peasant: "turn left where we burned down that barn"
Kobold worker: "turn left where my brother was trapped in that barn fire"

It's had quite a few iterations now that I think about it.

I remember once being told to turn "half way along" what was a fairly long road ...
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:cmyk! Where could he be?

Quick! somebody edit him onto a milk carton!
I know, cmyk will do it. Oh...
He/Him/His Image

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri May 17, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Cueball and Megan at the river.
jjjdavidson and Ebonite when the standards came. :D
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Cueball and Megan at the river.
jjjdavidson and Ebonite when the standards came. :D

lol. I am going to have to watch that one again... shoot I see a ST:TNG Marathon coming on!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri May 17, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Inspired by Jonas79's current sig, and apologies to all. *hangs head*

Hahahaha - seems like that, some xips!
This is really 3, too! Have a cute little fox smiley: Image

Thanks! (If I quote the fox, it becomes mine!)

Dix Behind:
Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Xips/dips and all that are just weird IMHO. Why would you connect the One True Time Measurement to Outsider units? An outsider "day" is simply 2.4 decanewpix. <snip/>

I think what we're looking at is the difference between metric and imperial (standard US). The conversions you propose still tie themselves to the Outsider units, but instead with fractions. I don't see that as better. If what you're saying is 1 decanewpix is meaningful then it might be useful to move over to this system. *shrug*

Randall Has My Number:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:I don't think today's Other Comic has been mentioned yet...

Of course, it mentions a topic that has come up in the OTT. But that proves nothing; every topic Randall might use has came up by now.

Holy crap, though: I did, in fact, mention synesthesia and colorblindness together.... :shock:

I think I see "22", btw. (But I don't have synesthesia...unless I do! :shock: *colorblindness*)

I propose a new phrase: GOOOTR [Get Out Of Our Thread, Randall], (which I do not mean with any sincerity as I do not welcome that outcome).

Metamorphantasmagorial Memesis
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Morp? Pharap? Morphas?

You were close. Morpy would work, especially with it's phonetic connection to molpy. :)
I do like mscha's Rabtor, though. :)

Nashville Twang Sounds Alright To Me:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Was it the paragraph used in the speech accent archive?
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

Wow, speaking that out loud made me extremely conscious of my accent. :shock:

:? What exactly made you feel that way? It all seemed normal to me. Maybe this was written for my accent.

BlitzGirl wrote:I have a coma-vision that my fellow blitzers will one xip live in a needle-pulled thing where they will not be judged by the newpage they traverse but by the content of their signposts.

Lovely.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Now... Bacon, cheese and (fried) mushrooms (but mainly bacon) with HP Sauce on a cheese-topped roll.. (Ketchup for Mrs RobIrr) Delicious, but probably very un-good for me.,,

HP sauce? NOW we have a clear US/UK distinction.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Swein wrote:Nah - well, it would be nice I'm all for LaPetite, but depending on how they spend their time it could be all from :roll: to :oops: or :shock:

You mean, Cuegan might try for some little Cueganbabies? I think we did see that:

cmyk, newpage 258 wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy shit. I uncovered the ending frames...

cmyk! Where could he be?

I've been wondering that myself. I see that manvandmaan is back. Nice to see you again!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
azule wrote:So, woah, this Panorama strained my system, or the PNG format, or me. Yeah, definitely me. j/k. Seriously though, I could only get it to display at 100% or more. :?

This should be the whole leg from the last turn to the current river. It is 33133x839 pixels.

Of note, is that the abnormally flat section about rd distance back, is exactly the same elevation as the current river. Exactly.
Maybe that stretch was some kind of shore. Or it was a marsh. I don't know these things.

⁴!

Now how about an movie?
Spoiler:

Very cool!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

SONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
lgw wrote:
fatness wrote:
SBN wrote:That's better than what I get. "We live beyond the Smith place." Simple enough, until you realize that the Smith place was built 150 years ago, and no Smith has lived in it in 100 years. Makes it really hard for a newcomer to figure out where stuff is.

I travel around the USA quite a bit and once was treated to driving directions which included "turn left where the big white barn used to be". :shock:

This is actually a running gag in my PnP RPG:
Human peasant: "turn left where the barn used to be"
Orc peasant: "turn left where we burned down that barn"
Kobold worker: "turn left where my brother was trapped in that barn fire"

It's had quite a few iterations now that I think about it.

I remember once being told to turn "half way along" what was a fairly long road ...

First time I drove out to my girlfriend's home she wasn't with me, but I had directions. South on MN22 to County 16, turn left, go through the intersection, and along to the green barn, left, go two miles north, on left. I couldn't find the green barn. I looked around, wondering what was happening (this was early, early days in our relationship.) Retraced my steps, found a farm with lights on. Waited for the people to come out, gave my instructions and who I was looking for. He laughed and explained. The green barn was now white, and had been so for a half-dozen years. I got there, very late, showed the instructions -- in her handwriting. When we got back to college, she didn't talk to me for days.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri May 17, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

So, I opened yet another gate from the past (I'm not sure from when, so be careful, past travelers!). But I brought you a gift:
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:

If you see this user, please tell the authorities!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri May 17, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:
mathrec wrote:
I wrote:I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

fhorn wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast...

Following up on "bacon butty" opened me up to a world I had not seen before. Apparently most of the "English"-speaking world (outside of North America) puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient.

Indeed. What else would you use it for?

First, I shall say my point about placing bacon on buns or any other bread products as the primary ingredient: why the confusion, even among my fellow North American devotees? Have we all not had BLTs in which bacon, I think we'd all agree, is the primary ingredient? I, for one, really enjoy a a good BLT from time to time.

I had a metaphorical fire to put out, at work, in the [heretical]Outside[/heretical]. It has put me in quite a funk and I was further disheartened to see more discussion about...well...I shan't say it. I just would like to say that I feel uncomfortable here when we argue, and that subject is the only subject for which it could be said that anyone comes close to really arguing about.

I am going to ask that no one comment on the preceding paragraph and that it not be quoted. I do not wish to carry the discussion further, I only mean to state, for what it is worth, my feelings on the matter and hope only that my voice is read.To me, the OTT is a kind of sanctuary from the [heretical]Outside[/heretical]. We share a fellowship, fictional though it may be, that exists in the OTT. That is why I come here. I hope it is why everyone else comes here, too. Lurkers included.

Which brings me to my next point. Hello lurkers! Please, join us!

I was brightened to see new dialogue from Cuegan. Indeed, quite strange that she would say that they have "not been seen" by other people, instead of not having seen other people. I know not what it means, other than they expected other people, perhaps. But I do not think they wish there to be others. For if they did, why would it seem that the emptiness of the place, devoid of other people, should make it a preferable location to live? Of course, there are those other pesky questions of, live in what, and, what materials would they use to build their home, and such. To those I say, the GLR provides. Should they need materials, GLR, the Creator of time, will most certainly provide. For that tree, though suitable for rest, would not be suitable for construction.

Also I believe someone asked where materials came from when building the sandcastle; the ropes and spares. I believe the implication is that they were stored at the tents or came from the people in the hills. See here for geographical reference. Though his activities on the OTT have been sparse lately, rest assured that His Meowjesty the Holy Catographer has been continually updating the OTM (that's the One True Map for anyone keeping track).

Now I will likely be away for many newpics. I shall grab a quick fris and be off, for tomorrow one may find me paddling lazily on a lake in a kayak. That would be me in a kayak on the lake...not me on a lake in a kayak, meaning the lake is in the kayak. Right, I'm off. Good evening to you all!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:Metamorphantasmagorial Memesis
Dracomax wrote:Morp? Pharap? Morphas?

You were close. Morpy would work, especially with it's phonetic connection to molpy. :)
I do like mscha's Rabtor, though. :).

Or even better, "morphy". That would help us remember that it's a transitional form that has only been seen once before disappearing.

- Down the rabbit hole!

Shush. We don't know that. It's only one interpretation.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
HES wrote:

If you see this user, please tell the authorities!

Also we need a notice for Helper again, I know she is having heavy Outside callings but it has been a while since we heard an update from her.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
mathrec wrote:
I wrote:I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

fhorn wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast...

Following up on "bacon butty" opened me up to a world I had not seen before. Apparently most of the "English"-speaking world (outside of North America) puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient.

Indeed. What else would you use it for?

First, I shall say my point about placing bacon on buns or any other bread products as the primary ingredient: why the confusion, even among my fellow North American devotees? Have we all not had BLTs in which bacon, I think we'd all agree, is the primary ingredient? I, for one, really enjoy a a good BLT from time to time.

I don't believe I have ever seen a BLT served on a bun or roll. In the US it is always on toasted sliced bread.

Wow, we get an education in international culture along with our general lunacy.
The end is always near.

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:I don't believe I have ever seen a BLT served on a bun or roll. In the US it is always on toasted sliced bread.

Wow, we get an education in international culture along with our general lunacy.

Whatever culture may dictate, bacon goes with every kind of bread
He/Him/His Image

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Fri May 17, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Well a butty is a butty, whatever the format of bread it's served on ... :-)

Coma time for me... g'night all. Have fun!
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I just want to point out that the ongoing discussion of blitz and ketchup posts probably takes more time to read than the actual blitz and ketchup posts. So, if the idea was to make the thread easier to get through, I think it's counterproductive.

I see in my preview window that lgw has just said pretty much the exact same thing, but I'm going ahead with this post so that I can add my thoughts.

And I ninja'd you both by a newpage on that thought. Glad we're all on the, uh, same page now. Image

lmjb1964 wrote:
ucim wrote:In nomine unum verum auctorum, ego dicae cupcacceo yummiorem.
Tam bonae quid esse, Valarya meibe makimorum

Jose

:lol:

Hah!! Thank you for quoting this. I had read ucim's actually post there, but had briefly skimmed the latin and didn't notice what he was really saying there. :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Buns/rolls (slightly-squashed spheres of bread) can have all sorts of things in them; usually some kind of cold meat, cheese, and/or salad. Bacon certainly isn't the default for me. They're just like sandwiches or the other kind of rolls (the long ones, also known as subs, which could be parts of baguettes or they could be their own things) in topping choices, except I guess sandwiches (which are the things made from flat squares of bread. The things with chicken breasts in them that you get in McDonald's are chicken burgers; I think I've heard USAans call them chicken sandwiches before, but a chicken sandwich is a flat square thing with shredded bits of chicken in it. Unless you're speaking French; then a roll made from a piece of baguette is also a sandwich) are more likely to have simpler toppings such as spreads.

I've only heard of 'chip butties' which are sandwiches with hot chips (fries? But the thick ones, not shoestring fries) in them, and probably butter. Maybe I should get into the ham and cheese buttiemongery racket.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:So, I opened yet another gate from the past (I'm not sure from when, so be careful, past travelers!). But I brought you a gift:
Spoiler:

the creator of that image wrote:"twitter.com/HAL9000_

It's all related...
Sadly, that isn't me. Would have been excellent if it were, but no.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Buns/rolls (slightly-squashed spheres of bread) can have all sorts of things in them; usually some kind of cold meat, cheese, and/or salad. Bacon certainly isn't the default for me. They're just like sandwiches or the other kind of rolls (the long ones, also known as subs, which could be parts of baguettes or they could be their own things) in topping choices, except I guess sandwiches (which are the things made from flat squares of bread. The things with chicken breasts in them that you get in McDonald's are chicken burgers; I think I've heard USAans call them chicken sandwiches before, but a chicken sandwich is a flat square thing with shredded bits of chicken in it. Unless you're speaking French; then a roll made from a piece of baguette is also a sandwich) are more likely to have simpler toppings such as spreads.

I've only heard of 'chip butties' which are sandwiches with hot chips (fries? But the thick ones, not shoestring fries) in them, and probably butter. Maybe I should get into the ham and cheese buttiemongery racket.

Yeah as an American I always hated that we called them French fries, something to do with Americans wanting to eat them more because they are foreign. I call them Chips personally, and "chips" crisps. Granted I am strange because my father is from New Zealand.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 17, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:HP sauce? NOW we have a clear US/UK distinction.
Hewlett-Packard sauce? Just what I need when I want to eat my motherboard.

@mscha - cool movie! Treeish!

Thinking about the "let's live here" dialog - it makes me wonder again just what their relationship might be. I always thought of them as a girlfriend/boyfriend pair, kind of in the springtime of their relationship. This would confirm it to me.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Buns/rolls (slightly-squashed spheres of bread) can have all sorts of things in them; usually some kind of cold meat, cheese, and/or salad. Bacon certainly isn't the default for me. They're just like sandwiches or the other kind of rolls (the long ones, also known as subs, which could be parts of baguettes or they could be their own things) in topping choices, except I guess sandwiches (which are the things made from flat squares of bread. The things with chicken breasts in them that you get in McDonald's are chicken burgers; I think I've heard USAans call them chicken sandwiches before, but a chicken sandwich is a flat square thing with shredded bits of chicken in it. Unless you're speaking French; then a roll made from a piece of baguette is also a sandwich) are more likely to have simpler toppings such as spreads.

Yeah as an American I always hated that we called them French fries, something to do with Americans wanting to eat them more because they are foreign. I call them Chips personally, and "chips" crisps. Granted I am strange because my father is from New Zealand.

I always just call 'em "fries." They're not chip-shaped (while chips/crisps are), and they're certainly not french. Granted, there are many other things which are fried, but I think the things you dip in ketchup (no, not that kind of ketchup) are probably the most common.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

azule wrote:Nashville Twang Sounds Alright To Me:
Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Was it the paragraph used in the speech accent archive?
speech accent archive wrote:Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

Wow, speaking that out loud made me extremely conscious of my accent. :shock:

:? What exactly made you feel that way? It all seemed normal to me. Maybe this was written for my accent.

I think this paragraph was designed to bring out the little nuances in regional dialects. I went to the site Angelastic mentioned earlier and clicked around the map to listen to sound bits of people reading it aloud. It was definitely easy to pick up on the Bostonians and Brooklynites. And the Southerners. The sentence that really got me was "five thick slabs of blue cheese."

Also, reading or saying that sentence makes me want to Image.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Yeah as an American I always hated that we called them French fries, something to do with Americans wanting to eat them more because they are foreign. I call them Chips personally, and "chips" crisps. Granted I am strange because my father is from New Zealand.

I am from New Zealand and I am not sure whether that can excuse my being strange. But I call both things chips, and if there is a need to make it clear which kind of chips I mean, the hot ones are called hot chips and the cold crunchy ones are called chippies.

I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I always just call 'em "fries." They're not chip-shaped (while chips/crisps are), and they're certainly not french. Granted, there are many other things which are fried, but I think the things you dip in ketchup (no, not that kind of ketchup) are probably the most common.

My wife just looks at me funny when I call them what I was raised calling them, I am slowly changing to the American way and calling them Fries, but I will forever call "chips" crisps.
Angelastic wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah as an American I always hated that we called them French fries, something to do with Americans wanting to eat them more because they are foreign. I call them Chips personally, and "chips" crisps. Granted I am strange because my father is from New Zealand.

Spoiler:
I am from New Zealand and I am not sure whether that can excuse my being strange. But I call both things chips, and if there is a need to make it clear which kind of chips I mean, the hot ones are called hot chips and the cold crunchy ones are called chippies.

I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

Agreed. Who wants cold (normally greasy) crisps with there fired dino-meat?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

Those dino legs are so terrifying. I have only seen them at DisneyWorld or the Rennaissance Festival that comes here once a year. :shock:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Those dino legs are so terrifying. I have only seen them at DisneyWorld or the Rennaissance Festival that comes here once a year. :shock:

We have some here at the state fair in Alaska, one year I saw one that was the size of my forearm, like 14inches!!!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri May 17, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

We have some here at the state fair in Alaska, one year I saw one that was the size of my forearm, like 14inches!!!

You know what they say about long forearms...

that you need longer sleeves

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri May 17, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

HuhONG?

He means way back in frames 175 and 487, I assume?
Spoiler:
Last edited by mscha on Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:We have some here at the state fair in Alaska, one year I saw one that was the size of my forearm, like 14inches!!!

Can you say that again after my 99th post?
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:HuhONG?

So Cueball was intentionally tasting it earlier?

Also, cue discussion of pollution.
Last edited by taixzo on Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Opiboble wrote:We have some here at the state fair in Alaska, one year I saw one that was the size of my forearm, like 14inches!!!

Can you say that again after my 99th post?

So you can say boobies?

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.
The end is always near.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:HuhONG?

So Cueball was intentionally tasting it earlier?

Also, cue discussion of pollution.

Maybe they're not as clueless as we thought. If the sea was receiving a large input of freshwater, then it would taste less and less salty as the areas near the coast were inundated with the less-dense freshwater.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

I love the lurkers, I love the ketchup posts
I love the regulars, and the sometimes cranky folks
I love the blitzers blindposting from the past.
Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yado, boom de yada

I love the craziness here in the OTT,
But it works be if we all agree to disagree.
All that's important is that we Wait for It,
Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yado, boom de yada

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”