1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Spoiler:
Image

It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.


likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

And me! Although not for that long, more like 3 years. I have actually read it all through twice (once when I first discovered it, and again maybe a year later). It's quite enjoyable to do a full read-through of, since unlike say xkcd, it's one continuous story. Doing a full read-through actually helps make the story much clearer in your head than by just getting one comic per day. So it may be a long ketchup, but an enjoyable one!


Only discovered it last fall. IIRC I did ketchup in 100 strip bursts. It was quite enjoyable. Most of the humor is making references to character traits and exchanges from history ... as is done here.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Poor AK49BWL...the OTT has experienced a recent surge1 akin to the one I encountered as I finished my Quest.

akacat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Cueball? Thinking? That can't be right.

Unless...the brain-eating amoeba is actually changing his brain for the better?

Wasn't that the plot of a Futurama episode? Just substitute Fry for Cueball...

Spoiler:
Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Sat May 18, 2013 1:47 am UTC

AK49BWL wrote::shock: :shock: What have I done... The Outside ate me alive. I must resist skipping 106 Newpages!! :shock:


Help.....me.........

That's OK. Take your time. We'll wait.

That's what we do here.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 1:51 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.


likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

And me! Although not for that long, more like 3 years. I have actually read it all through twice (once when I first discovered it, and again maybe a year later). It's quite enjoyable to do a full read-through of, since unlike say xkcd, it's one continuous story. Doing a full read-through actually helps make the story much clearer in your head than by just getting one comic per day. So it may be a long ketchup, but an enjoyable one!


I never got the joke, and this is why. Unfortunately this is going to make it even more difficult to salsa this thread...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 am UTC

dONGble post

Image

It's crazy how long ago the things they're discussing were. I wonder what other gems of time will be brought up?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 am UTC

HES wrote:dONGble post
Spoiler:
Image


It's crazy how long ago the things they're discussing were. I wonder what other gems of time will be brought up?


I guess that makes me the new PPP then! (Present Potentiality Prognosticator). It wouldn't be the time thread unless we had a single acronym that stood for two completely opposite things!
Image

User avatar
Smithers
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 am UTC
Location: Cambridge, England
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Smithers » Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Smithers wrote:
ketchuptrans_zpsd6d1b906.gif
(GIF credits to yappobiscuits, transparency by yours truly. (The trick is setting the frame disposal to replace (in GIMP, I used Filters->Animation->Unoptimise (Yay for nested parentheses ( :D )))))

I did actually try that (when saving as a .gif, there's a "frame disposal where unspecified" drop down box which I set to replace) and it still left a trail :/

And I just now tried Unoptimise like you said - nope, still leaves a trail for me :/

But hey, at least I've got the one you made, so thanks! It'd just be nice to know how to do it myself for the future...

The GIMP stores the disposal for each frame as part of the frame name when editing, e.g. the top layer (last frame) has the name "Frame 27 (1500ms) (combine)". After the unoptimise (pesimise?) I get a new image whose top layer has the name "Frame 27 (1500ms)(replace)". Then I can erase the background of each frame and save it. The "frame disposal where unspecified" option should have no effect as it is specified for each frame. I'm using GIMP 2.6.12, in case it matters.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Image
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.


likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

And me! Although not for that long, more like 3 years. I have actually read it all through twice (once when I first discovered it, and again maybe a year later). It's quite enjoyable to do a full read-through of, since unlike say xkcd, it's one continuous story. Doing a full read-through actually helps make the story much clearer in your head than by just getting one comic per day. So it may be a long ketchup, but an enjoyable one!

That particular other other comic was the first one I started following after our regular other comic. It was nearly 6 years ago, the night before I had to collect my exam results from my second year at Uni. I was bored at about 4AM and instead of coma (or sleep, as I used to do back then), I chose to follow one of the "Comics I enjoy" links from xkcd. I read through the night about 600 comics (I know I got at least as far as 564: "If you need me I can always be found" (yes, I can still quote that number and title from memory)) before heading to campus to get my results, then finished my ketchup in the department's computer room.

Speaking of small hours of the morning, i've just heard the 3o'clock ONG, which means it's way past my comatime. Happy waitong all.

ETA: Thought I might leave you with these words from Pink Floyd:
Sometimes I get tired of the waiting
Sometimes I get tired of being in here
Is this the way it has always been?
Could it ever have been different?

It's a good job I came back to do so, or I wouldn't have found and fixed the nested spoilers until tomorrow morning.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2845
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 18, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Smithers wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Smithers wrote:
The attachment ketchuptrans_zpsd6d1b906.gif is no longer available
(GIF credits to yappobiscuits, transparency by yours truly. (The trick is setting the frame disposal to replace (in GIMP, I used Filters->Animation->Unoptimise (Yay for nested parentheses ( :D )))))

I did actually try that (when saving as a .gif, there's a "frame disposal where unspecified" drop down box which I set to replace) and it still left a trail :/

And I just now tried Unoptimise like you said - nope, still leaves a trail for me :/

But hey, at least I've got the one you made, so thanks! It'd just be nice to know how to do it myself for the future...

The GIMP stores the disposal for each frame as part of the frame name when editing, e.g. the top layer (last frame) has the name "Frame 27 (1500ms) (combine)". After the unoptimise (pesimise?) I get a new image whose top layer has the name "Frame 27 (1500ms)(replace)". Then I can erase the background of each frame and save it. The "frame disposal where unspecified" option should have no effect as it is specified for each frame. I'm using GIMP 2.6.12, in case it matters.

I did actually notice that (the frame disposal is in the layer names) when I saw them all turn to "replace" after unoptimising, but it still didn't seem to work for me... I'll try again, just to be sure...

Nope, I still get this:
ketchup.gif
ketchup.gif (5.65 KiB) Viewed 16500 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Ketching up & blindposting
P 645 of 654

I'm still around ... will work on hats this weekend bwahananewpix!

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2468
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:49 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Image
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.


Well, thank you very much. Clicked on the link just to "check it out," and spent almost two hours reading one comic after another. That's all I need, another distraction.

edited for spelling, and to accurately reflect the amount of time spent on the OtherOtherComic.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat May 18, 2013 7:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 2:56 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Image
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.


Well, thank you very much. Clicked on the link just to "check it out," and spent over an hour reading once comic after another. That's all I need, another distraction.

It's caught me worse than a TVtropes link. Maybe this is why the thread is suddenly so slow :lol:
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 18, 2013 2:57 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ketching up & blindposting
P 645 of 654

I'm still around ... will work on hats this weekend bwahananewpix!

Hope to see you soon! Blitz fast and Blitz well!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Questionable CONGtent

Image

Last reference to the otherother comic, I promise. Stop throwing chocolate at me!

ETA: The sea1 is 1Big. It's kinda crazy how much water there is in it already. (Also, more support for the climate change metaphor)
How far from the end of a freshwater river (into the sea) is there a noticeable difference in salinity?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Ketching up & blindposting
P 645 of 654

I'm still around ... will work on hats this weekend bwahananewpix!


Yknow...... I'd be down for a hat one of these days, if you have the time. and it probably wouldn't be that hard with my white space filled avatar. I could do it myself, but where's the fun in that?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1617
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Sat May 18, 2013 3:20 am UTC

A little while ago, someone posted here about the "Dictionary of Numbers" Chrome plugin. Today, it made me laugh:

...it’s easy to forget that the Universe we currently admire is the product of a violent event that occurred 13.75 billion years [≈ the approximate age of the Universe] ago.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 18, 2013 3:22 am UTC

ergman wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ketching up & blindposting
P 645 of 654

I'm still around ... will work on hats this weekend bwahananewpix!


Yknow...... I'd be down for a hat one of these days, if you have the time. and it probably wouldn't be that hard with my white space filled avatar. I could do it myself, but where's the fun in that? I don't want to be a heretic.

FTFY
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Lucia
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Lucia » Sat May 18, 2013 3:50 am UTC

Hi people. How's the waiting?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?


Peaceful. My wife says there are delicious smells (baking for a contest tomorrow.)
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 3:54 am UTC

Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?

When faced with actual work to do, not doing anything becomes incredibly easy. There are at least four things that I'm (not) doing whilst waiting for it... (coma included)
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 am UTC

htom wrote:
Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?


Peaceful. My wife says there are delicious smells (baking for a contest tomorrow.)

Very, very slow tonight. Not too much of a problem, though. We do want the Blitzers to catch up, after all.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 am UTC

EMOBENDDGED
Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
htom wrote:
Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?


Peaceful. My wife says there are delicious smells (baking for a contest tomorrow.)

Very, very slow tonight. Not too much of a problem, though. We do want the Blitzers to catch up, after all.


Waiting on a laptop whilst I watch television. A little while from now I'll be waiting whilst I write some noir ;)
Image

User avatar
jjjdavidson
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm UTC
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 18, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Image
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.


likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

I found this one last month, Girl Genius, it is taking forever to get through but it is a good one.

Like several others who have already posted, I found Questionable Content a while back and blitzed through it in a couple of days, and have been reading it steadily since. I'm still annoyed that those two (won't spoiler it) couldn't work out their problems.

I've been reading Girl Genius even longer - it was the first webcomic I started reading regularly. I've had a GG tab open in one browser or another continuously for upwards of six years now. But you know what I noticed last weekend? The GG tab I have open now hasn't been updated since Monday, March 25, 2013.

GG, QC, xkcd, and Narbonic (which is just about to end again) are the only webcomics I've ever read regularly. (Though once Narbonic ends again, I'll probably take up Skin Horse seriously at last.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?

together. it for Wait we as stride in thing needle-pulled this infects that Madness any take to how know we Now, the in living thread-dwellers or Trekers Momes, Molpy Mopey or PFANPs Timewaiters, or Illuminati Temporal Loopists, or Amoebaeists be we Whether Presents. Present other each give and updated OTW the keep centicues, in creatures of heights the compare mustard, heretical of sign any for semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice scan now who minds, Outside upon marvel this unleashed he when happen would what idea any had GLR, OTA, the if wonder I anyone?) (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, ONG. B/D/G recent most the from or response, sigcouragement a pastposts, the blitzing ketchup while read discussion a from it's whether newpix, every terms new absorbing sparrow-raptor, a than faster adapt molpy-minded the Even dilgunnerang). the from drinking Cuegan featuring (currently OTC the about OTT the reading of effect side a That's
Or in other words, no.

Funny. I was going through it thinking "oh yes, it does"

Reading through that feels like reading through the OTT while in severe coma deprivation.

BlitzGirl, you actually have a basis for comparison? I can't remember any time spent reading the OTT when I wasn't severely coma-deprived.

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Cueball and Megan at the river.
jjjdavidson and Ebonite when the standards came. :D

Cool! I'm in a Star Trek quote! (Though every time I imagine Patrick Stewart saying my nick, he starts giggling.)

XonqNopp wrote:I will not ketchup today, not until next Tuesday... Because today I get married (the civil mariage, so little ceremony with little people, the religious mariage is next month) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I hope you will have a nice week-end and I hope the end of the OTC will wait for me, after all I have waited for it! :mrgreen:

XonqNopp, let me add my congratulations to the many others. I hope today was the happiest day of your life so far──and may all the days that follow it be even better.

(Everyone else: Should we all repeat our congratulations on Tuesday, just so XonqNopp doesn't have to blitz fifty pages to read them all?)
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 18, 2013 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4889
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 4:03 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
htom wrote:
Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?


Peaceful. My wife says there are delicious smells (baking for a contest tomorrow.)

Very, very slow tonight. Not too much of a problem, though. We do want the Blitzers to catch up, after all.


Cueball wrote:Yeah.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 18, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?

I just ordered a commission to a DeviantArt artist for a heavily-Time-inspired picture.
I'm afraid she won't understand all the references.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
fatness
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 am UTC
Location: Sometime last week

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fatness » Sat May 18, 2013 4:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:GG, QC, xkcd, and Narbonic (which is just about to end again) are the only webcomics I've ever read regularly. (Though once Narbonic ends again, I'll probably take up Skin Horse seriously at last.)

Awhile back I fell into Dresden Codak, which is fairly easy to keep up with given the updates tend to come over a month apart. But enough of this heresy...when does the gator crawl out and gobble up Cueball?

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sat May 18, 2013 4:26 am UTC

As long as people are talking about otherothercomics, I may as well share my list:
Spoiler:
Buni- dark, textless humor: http://www.bunicomic.com/
Sandra and Woo- a modern Calvin and Hobbes, though for a bit of an older age group: http://www.sandraandwoo.com/
Brawl in the family- it's about super smash bros. duh: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/
And if you're really bored, you can check out my old, dead, vulgar comic, monochrome rainbow: http://monobow.thecomicseries.com/comics/random

Just for the sake of irrelevancy
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2468
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:38 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?

together. it for Wait we as stride in thing needle-pulled this infects that Madness any take to how know we Now, the in living thread-dwellers or Trekers Momes, Molpy Mopey or PFANPs Timewaiters, or Illuminati Temporal Loopists, or Amoebaeists be we Whether Presents. Present other each give and updated OTW the keep centicues, in creatures of heights the compare mustard, heretical of sign any for semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice scan now who minds, Outside upon marvel this unleashed he when happen would what idea any had GLR, OTA, the if wonder I anyone?) (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, ONG. B/D/G recent most the from or response, sigcouragement a pastposts, the blitzing ketchup while read discussion a from it's whether newpix, every terms new absorbing sparrow-raptor, a than faster adapt molpy-minded the Even dilgunnerang). the from drinking Cuegan featuring (currently OTC the about OTT the reading of effect side a That's
Or in other words, no.

Funny. I was going through it thinking "oh yes, it does"

Reading through that feels like reading through the OTT while in severe coma deprivation.

BlitzGirl, you actually have a basis for comparison? I can't remember any time spent reading the OTT when I wasn't severely coma-deprived.


Well, I certainly have times when I'm reading the OTT and I'm not coma-deprived. Those would be the times that I'm reading the OTT when I'm at work.

And I had the same thought as Exodies. That paragraph made perfect sense backwards.

Edited to remove some extra unrelevant quotage.
Edit2 to make something more concise.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat May 18, 2013 4:42 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 18, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Ok, ketched up.
9NP in 2 hrs newpixes. Comatime.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 4:41 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:
Angelastic wrote:...I was quite surprised to find that a chicken & chips (or maybe turkey leg and chips) stall at a theme park I went to in the US was actually selling chicken turkeydinosaur and chippies. Who eats dinosaur with chippies? Dinosaur and chips is just like fish and chips; it entails hot chips.

This calls to mind a shirt that my son has.
Image
It's produced by the author of the Questionable Content OtherOtherComic.

I like that OtherOther Comic, it is quite funny.


likewise! been reading that one daily for about 7 years. couldn't imagine the ketchup on something like that. :P

I found this one last month, Girl Genius, it is taking forever to get through but it is a good one.

Like several others who have already posted, I found Questionable Content a while back and blitzed through it in a couple of days, and have been reading it steadily since. I'm still annoyed that those two (won't spoiler it) couldn't work out their problems.

I've been reading Girl Genius even longer - it was the first webcomic I started reading regularly. I've had a GG tab open in one browser or another continuously for upwards of six years now. But you know what I noticed last weekend? The GG tab I have open now hasn't been updated since Monday, March 25, 2013.

GG, QC, xkcd, and Narbonic (which is just about to end again) are the only webcomics I've ever read regularly. (Though once Narbonic ends again, I'll probably take up Skin Horse seriously at last.)

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
Smithers wrote:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

Does this make sense if read backwards?

together. it for Wait we as stride in thing needle-pulled this infects that Madness any take to how know we Now, the in living thread-dwellers or Trekers Momes, Molpy Mopey or PFANPs Timewaiters, or Illuminati Temporal Loopists, or Amoebaeists be we Whether Presents. Present other each give and updated OTW the keep centicues, in creatures of heights the compare mustard, heretical of sign any for semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice scan now who minds, Outside upon marvel this unleashed he when happen would what idea any had GLR, OTA, the if wonder I anyone?) (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, ONG. B/D/G recent most the from or response, sigcouragement a pastposts, the blitzing ketchup while read discussion a from it's whether newpix, every terms new absorbing sparrow-raptor, a than faster adapt molpy-minded the Even dilgunnerang). the from drinking Cuegan featuring (currently OTC the about OTT the reading of effect side a That's
Or in other words, no.

Funny. I was going through it thinking "oh yes, it does"

Reading through that feels like reading through the OTT while in severe coma deprivation.

BlitzGirl, you actually have a basis for comparison? I can't remember any time spent reading the OTT when I wasn't severely coma-deprived.

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Cueball and Megan at the river.
jjjdavidson and Ebonite when the standards came. :D

Cool! I'm in a Star Trek quote! (Though every time I imagine Patrick Stewart saying my nick, he starts giggling.)

XonqNopp wrote:I will not ketchup today, not until next Tuesday... Because today I get married (the civil mariage, so little ceremony with little people, the religious mariage is next month) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, I hope you will have a nice week-end and I hope the end of the OTC will wait for me, after all I have waited for it! :mrgreen:

XonqNopp, let me add my congratulations to the many others. I hope today was the happiest day of your life so far──and may all the days that follow it be even better.

(Everyone else: Should we all repeat our congratulations on Tuesday, just so XonqNopp doesn't have to blitz fifty pages to read them all?)


Sounds good to me. Another excuse for a party!

jjjdavidson -- I share your frustration with X and Y 's decision in QC, but I can understand it, too.

Two others on my "daily comics" I haven't seen mentioned are Wapsi Square, a romance - adventure - fantasy with lots of non-human but human-appearing characters, worth the long ketchup; and Day by Day, which is about a quartet of people working together who started squabbling about politics while doing engineering and marketing, and .... , and life is moving on for them in interesting ways. Some of those characters are decidedly right-wing / libertarian / Heinleinist in character.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2468
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Hey, I think this is the first time I've looked that MobTeeseBoose hasn't been listed among the users. Wonder what happened to he/she/it?

ETA and now s/he/it is back. I swear it wasn't there a minute ago...
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 am UTC

HALLUCINATIONG
Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 am UTC

cueball wrote:Did you notice the sea tasting better?

I had assumed, since he had just drunk from the body of water in the current newpix, that he was referring to that body of water as the sea (and not the river, which would be odd since they were presumably heading for the river). Present discussion (and subsequent newpix dialog) implies that he was referring to the sea becoming better over time. Something about a donkey among us?

Wouldn't be the first time. :)

And, while I'm here, just want to say what a beautiful photo rendition that was, mscha back on 648.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
htom
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 am UTC
Location: Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Otherothercomic stuff
Spoiler:
Girl Genius is going to be a keeper, I suspect. I'll look at the others later.
Coma calls, bakers have to get up early.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

User avatar
Latent22
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:57 pm UTC
Location: NZ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:20 am UTC

One thing to note is that if they were originally near a river mouth and the river flow was high enough then the semenatedcoffeecancerbabies would indeed be 'fresher'. But maybe they would have noticed the torrent coming down the river...


Also here is a Cat photo I took today. Totally not time related but its a cute cat. And who doesn't love a cute cat!
Ninja.jpg

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2468
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:25 am UTC

ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Did you notice the sea tasting better?

I had assumed, since he had just drunk from the body of water in the current newpix, that he was referring to that body of water as the sea (and not the river, which would be odd since they were presumably heading for the river). Present discussion (and subsequent newpix dialog) implies that he was referring to the sea becoming better over time. Something about a donkey among us?

Wouldn't be the first time. :)

And, while I'm here, just want to say what a beautiful photo rendition that was, mscha back on 648.

Jose


Just went back over that section in aubronwood a few times. It seems pretty clear (to me, anyway) that he is saying that when he tasted the water at the castles way back when, he thought it tasted a little fresher than when he had tasted it previously. That would explain his saying, "I've had worse." (It is odd that he keeps tasting the seawater.)

Then Cueball says, "I thought it tasted fresher, but maybe it was just me." Megan answers, "Probably," which I take to mean "Probably it was just you," since she goes on to say that the added fresh water would just be a fraction of the total water. She doesn't think that it would affect the taste of the sea.1

That's how I see it, anyway.

1big
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 18, 2013 5:47 am UTC

I think that's a 3 analysis, lmjb.

Oh, and KITTY! :mrgreen:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Lucia
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:35 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Lucia » Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 am UTC

What's mustard?
Wildhound wrote:Nobody ever sigs me. I think it's because I never say anything clever.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Lucia wrote:What's mustard?


It's real! It's real I tell you!

A heretical substance conceived when it was noticed that in past versions of certain frames of Time, the GLR had inadvertently with completely knowledge of what he was doing, the GLR used a different shade of black to fill in new topology above some kind of template image. Once noticed, he quickly corrected his mistake enhanced the beauty of the OTC by making it all a single shade. From that day forward, after it was suggested in the OTT that the grey resembled Grey Poupon Mustard, that the substance later replaced by pure black ground be referred to as mustard.

Edit: What, I get 653 and 655? Step up your game, waiters!
Image

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sat May 18, 2013 6:04 am UTC

RAINBOWONG
Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests