1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ttscp » Sat May 18, 2013 10:17 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:And the journey continues...ONG
Spoiler:

Pre-ninja'd. Too bad, my ONG was better, IMO. (GONGE...)

I humbly apologize, it was my first and I was more concerned with getting one, than getting anything spectacular.

Um, I just re-read that; I take no responsibility for misinterpretations.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 10:20 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

I humbly apologize, it was my first and I was more concerned with getting one, than getting anything spectacular.

No worries, nothing to apologize for. :)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:21 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Um, I just re-read that; I take no responsibility for misinterpretations.

Your not a virgin anymore! Congratulations!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:I liked the double dactyls. My favourite double dactyl is siamese pterosaur.

Fun fact: dactyl means the same in both cases: finger.
For the meter: One heavy, two light syllable. Just look at your index finger and you know why the meter is called dactyl.
For the flying thing: Exactly that: Flightfinger, because the fingers support the wings.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Following ONG...

Whew... Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:10 am UTC

mscha wrote:Following ONG...

Whew... Image

And The long silent walk though the molpy grass begins again.

You know we should start a betting pool to see who can guess when the next molpy will get spotted. I'll put my money on newpix 1435 (we are currently at newpix 1424). Note its the first newpix where the molpy is seen moving and not the newpix before that may have had part of a molpy showing but it hasn't moved yet.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:And The long silent walk though the molpy grass begins again.

You know we should start a betting pool to see who can guess when the next molpy will get spotted. I'll put my money on newpix 1435 (we are currently at newpix 1424). Note its the first newpix where the molpy is seen moving and not the newpix before that may have had part of a molpy showing but it hasn't moved yet.

My money's on right now. It's just outside of the 2-D slice. Here's the view from the other side:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 am UTC

Ketchuped!

And introducing Multiquote v142315¹⁶.
With this script installed, the behaviour of the quote button changes. It now displays a text field right under the message you're replying to.
You just write your reply and hit "Save".
Do so with all the posts you want to reply to, and finally click on "PostReply" as usual. The text area will be filled with the quotes and your replies. :)

Even if you don't write a reply after clicking on "quote", the quote will be included in the message.
The quote cache will be flushed by clicking on Submit or Preview.

Spoiler:

Installation instructions and links here.
There are still a lot of ways to improve it. I could automatically spoiler inner quotes, and prepare a ChronosDragon-style summary at the top with the name of quotees. Let me know if you have ideas. :)

15 the versions are numbered by the newpix I finished them in. That way I can say my scripts are waaaaay ahead of Chrome and Firefox versions!
16 starting at 16 to prevent future standard footnotes to overwrite these
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 18, 2013 11:44 am UTC

azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Lucia wrote:Hi people. How's the waiting?

I just ordered a commission to a DeviantArt artist for a heavily-Time-inspired picture.
I'm afraid she won't understand all the references.

:( We aren't deviant enough for your art needs? (I have an there too.) And we'd do it for free. :cry:

Have fun.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat May 18, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Ketchuped!

Spoiler:
With this script installed, the behaviour of the quote button changes. It now displays a text field right under the message you're replying to.
Do so with all the posts you want to reply to, and finally click on "PostReply" as usual. The text area will be filled with the quotes and your replies. :)

Even if you don't write a reply after clicking on "quote", the quote will be included in the message.

There are still a lot of ways to improve it. I could automatically spoiler inner quotes, and prepare a ChronosDragon-style summary at the top with the name of quotees. Let me know if you have ideas. :)

15 the versions are numbered by the newpix I finished them in. That way I can say my scripts are waaaaay ahead of Chrome and Firefox versions!

That's awesome. I uninstalled GreaseMonkey a while back because at some point I noticed that I wasn't benefitting from many of the scripts I had installed anymore, but now I'm thinking of re-installing it just to be able to use this.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Caught up! Finally!
And while there are many exciting things, food and poetry grab me first.
Can these doohickeys have more than one verse?
(Also, please pronounce oily with three syllables.)

Higgeldy Piggeldy
hailing from New Jersey
never was I unfa-
miliar with grease.
Off to New Zealand and
OMG-chip-butties
gave me a lesson in
waistline increase.

Sandwichy Grandwichy
To make your chip-buttie,
first you take butter and
spread it on bread.
Two slices wrapped around
oily french fries with
kewpie-type-mayonnaise -
Awesomely fed!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

LONGITUDES...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edit: no sign of any Molpies.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:Edit:
jjjdavidson wrote:(2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian);

Vatican Milliner

Yes! And if you can find a good three-syllable synonym for "perfect", you can use the whole "Vatican Milliner's [Perfect] Customer"!

Vatican Milliner's so Perfect Customer.

ChronosDragon wrote:The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River

Oh yes. And more! YES!

Kazza3 wrote:Australian contribution to the 'what different things are called' discussion:

Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:<snip>
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

- Soft drink
- Tap
- (Plastic) bag

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:While we're talking about things whose words vary a lot between countries, what do you call the clothes made for swimming in? (I think 'swimsuit' is the most internationally-understood word; that's what I say if I manage to catch myself before saying something nobody will understand.) In NZ it's 'swimming togs' or just 'togs'. Elsewhere, I've heard bathers, swimmers, cossies, trunks, swimming costume, and probably some others.

Bathing Suit. Or swimsuit. If you're referring to a male swimsuit: swim trunks. I've never heard of any of the others. :P

Swimmers/bathers. Cossies is more or less an antiquated, 1950s-esque term. When you say male swimsuit, I think of an all-body kind of deal (professional style), which I'd just call a swimsuit- men's swimming 'shorts' are board shorts, and swimming underwear would be speedos (brandname degradation), or, famously, budgie-smugglers.

htom wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available

Bun or roll. Bun is more likely a sweetened or milk yeast bread, roll a potato water or straight yeast bread. In the USA.

Also bun or roll, and I think I'd broadly agree (though I'm not really sure what potato water or milk yeast refer to, and in my experience in the US, all your bread has been strongly sweetened), but to me a bun is more a large, flattened, probably circular bread, for burgers and the like, and in fast food chains could be sweetened; a bun could also be non-chopped and an actual sweet treat, like a Boston bun or coffee scroll. A roll probably fits the description better for me, as smaller, savoury, slightly-squashed bread. Though probably containing ham, not bacon.

And for me chips refer to both hot and cold 'chips', and is the most common word for both. You could further break up hot chips into the thick-cut kind and thin McDonald's-style, which if you were wanting to refer specifically to the latter as opposed to the former you'd call fries, but otherwise all chips.

To my taste, almost all USAian cooking of almost everything has too much sugar, far too much sugar (and all of its cousins!) The bun-roll distinction I was trying to make is perhaps more of rich doughs (containing sugar, eggs, milk, ...) and lean doughs (water, yeast, salt, flour.) I like sweet, not as constant flood, as a treat.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

The road goes ever ONG and ONG
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:The road goes ever ONG and ONG
Spoiler:

That's a fast growing flower...
(Or a slow walking Cuegan...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

I didn't have it in me to google image search for "penis ketchup", so this will have to dok

Actually quite a short ketchup, as a) the forum's being slower than a thinking cueball b) my coma was interrupted by the fire alarm17b.1

mscha wrote:My money's on right now. It's just outside of the 2-D slice. Here's the view from the other side:
Spoiler:

I love these overlays, mscha! Keep them coming

dreiarmumig wrote:

That's awesome. I uninstalled GreaseMonkey a while back because at some point I noticed that I wasn't benefitting from many of the scripts I had installed anymore, but now I'm thinking of re-installing it just to be able to use this.

This and that newpix time corrector might persuade me to re-install, if I get round to it. Even though I still have time for things around my work, I feel like I don't have time for anything. The only reason I don't feel guilty about wasting spending time here is that it's become part of my daily routine

mathrec wrote:Since they don't seem to have access to a lot of knowledge, they wouldn't know that freshwater floats on top of salt water until it mixes.

I do have access to a lot of knowledge, and I didn't know this. (I'm very well aware of the different densities, I just hadn't made the connection. Which is odd, as if it were a river of oil it would be obvious to me. Not like I've done 3 fluid mechanics modules or anything... :oops: )

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of kitties, Latent22, I've been wanting to ask you, how do you make those changing avatars? I wanted to have my friend Catherine with me in the OTT so I put her under my chair, but you can't really see her very well. With one of those fancy avatars, I could show off both my kitty and my buffygirl headwear.

You're a kitty231! I got round that dilemma by requesting that the Buffydashery put the hat on the hamster, a work in progress I eagerly await :D

kcheck out my mad photoshop paint skills
17b.1Still going. Annoyingly, once checking there isn't an actual fire, it's way too loud to go back to bed, and security are offsite. Admittedly, it's the early afternoon, and I should really be up anyway. Students, eh? :roll:
231I know it's been referenced recently. But kitty!
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 18, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

This one's lamer, because 1) it's missing the big word, and 2) it has to be explained.

Babel-ly Table-ly
Regional dialects
"Bacon" ain't bacon 'cause
There ain't no fat.
Ask for a "lemonade"
Sprite's in the glass you get.
Fanny Pack? - Heehee - a
"fanny"'s a twat.

More stuff I was thinking about, way back when you were talking about different names that different regions have for things:
Moving to the other side of the world, different words had to be learned (bathing suit -> togs, flip-flops -> jandals, trunk -> boot, etc.) but if I said the wrong thing, it was fine anyways - everyone knew what I meant. It was just one more sign of my Americanism, and I wasn't fooling anyone anyway.

What I found trickier was when a word I thought I knew meant something else. In NZ, "lemonade" means a lemony soda like Sprite, and to get an American-style lemonade, (if they even have it) you must ask for an "old-fashioned lemonade." In the US, the entree is the main course, but in NZ (and really everywhere else I think) it's the appetizer. I think most Kiwis know that Americans mean something different when they say "fanny", but it's still fun to make them aware of it.

And bacon, yes bacon....
This gets to go by the word "bacon" in the US,
Picture 28.png
Picture 28.png (84.38 KiB) Viewed 20700 times
but if you want it in New Zealand, you must specify "streaky bacon."

This owns the word "bacon" in NZ, and I suspect in the UK:
Picture 29.png
Picture 29.png (101.57 KiB) Viewed 20700 times
but if you want it in the States, I understand you must ask for Canadian bacon.

I think one of my first brunches in NZ involved both the unexpected bacon and the unexpected lemonade. It still beat the hell out of the first brunch that I tried to pretend I was a proper Kiwi by ordering the steak and kidneys.

Edit: trimmed stray sentence
Edit 2: and stray word
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Cake for HES (and everyone)!
Please take a big piece, there aren't many of us to share with.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 18, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

One last installment of ketchup from the distant past before I coma again:
happyGhost.png

Edited to eat cake. :) Thanks mscha!
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 18, 2013 1:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat May 18, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Edit:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ineffable, unerring...defectless

Ineffable is four... unerring again has the wrong accentuation... but defectless could work!

I could never figure out accentuation. How do you determine what part of a word receives stress? It seems completely arbitrary.[/quote]

That's easy: you have to.... accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative...
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

ggh wrote:This owns the word "bacon" in NZ, and I suspect in the UK:
Picture 29.png

Actually if you want what's in the picture in the U.S., you'd better ask for "a boneless pork chop, cured, horizontally sliced thin, then fried." If you ask for Canadian bacon, you're likely to get a perfectly round fried disk of processed pork loaf.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 18, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

ASHMONTG
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
ggh wrote:This owns the word "bacon" in NZ, and I suspect in the UK:
Picture 29.png

Actually if you want what's in the picture in the U.S., you'd better ask for "a boneless pork chop, cured, horizontally sliced thin, then fried." If you ask for Canadian bacon, you're likely to get a perfectly round fried disk of processed pork loaf.

Sadly true.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:ASHMONTG
Spoiler:

No mysterious flora or fauna (dis)appearances, this frame.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Warning - seaish ketchup. I have traveled far (probably 10 Newpages). And yet I still have far to go after I coma...

@HES re: Hotel California
@HAL9000 re: Svengoolie
@mscha re: hallucinating from berries
@Angelastic re: phoenix eggs and paradoxes
@Valarya re: legos
@Earthling on Mars re: a dark figure and a brain-eating amoeba
@Vytron re: awesome new comic-within-the-OTT
@ucim re: another chapter in the saga of enlightenment

Spoiler:
HES wrote:"Hotel California"
"Randall's One True Comic"

<snip>

Magnificent (and hilarious!) Well written. :D
EDIT: as I went to preview this post I realized my quote structure was broken. Apologies to all if I misattributed this parody...

HAL9000 wrote:@PhoenixRising: Svengoolie
PhoenixRising wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Oh man, I remember that movie. First time I saw it was on Svengoolie (yes, he's still around). Those B-movies are great.

I can't believe someone else has actually heard of Svengoolie, let alone watched him. Those rubber chickens man... :D

Calling all stations! Clear the airlanes, clear all airlanes for the big broadcast!

YES!

Not sure which Svengoolie you watched (apparently it's more a passed-down title than any particular guy?) but mine was Rich Koz, and I always thought it was awesome he was also the host of the Three Stooges show that was on just before Sven. I may have even wondered once or twice (we didn't usually record stuff so the technology wasn't overly familiar to me) how he got changed so fast between shows. :lol:

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I'm wondering when they may start hallucinating from those berries and how GLR might depict that...
EDIT: As a fun exercise, how would we depict that?

http://xkcd.mscha.org/tmp/hallucinate.png

Can I get this on a t-shirt, please? :mrgreen: But no berries please.

Angelastic wrote:Oh, and sure, a phoenix rises from its own ashes, but where did the first phoenix come from, eh? A big bang? :roll: The GLR? :roll: Nope; obviously an egg! Ha! :P

Wait, which came first, the phoenix or the egg? And was the egg overcooked?

Yes! The first phoenix came from an egg which lightning overcooked. So between the overcooking and the Frankenstein effect (which we all know lightning produces 100% of the time even in non-movie non-ideal scenarios) a phoenix was born.

Valarya wrote:Guess I'm the only one around here who has always, and always will, use 'legos' to talk about the toy. They are legos and I build things with legos. "Pick up your damn legos; I just stepped on one!" The more you guys point it out, the more redneck I feel I sound... but hearing them called Lego just feels wrong/weird to me unless I'm speaking about a Lego shirt. Or some Lego birthday invitations.

I'm with you! Plural for the toy(s). Singular for non-toy gear.

Earthling on Mars wrote:In a dark room, in a dark palace, on his dark throne, sits the Dark Lord. He is twice the height of a man, clad entirely in black, and on his head is a black crown.
<snip>

...Lord Vader?

Be careful, Cuegan. Don't go to the river. It's a trap!

Vytron wrote:I heard you like comics, so I put a comic in your thread about your thread about a comic:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130516/fldpbgfj.png

If I've learned something about Time, is that it's not about the ending, but about the journey.

You win many Internets for this! :mrgreen: I'm almost reminded of BlitzGirl's boom de yada in that you grabbed many of the best moments of the thread and put them into a comic. Not quite as lyrical but still very awesome. And your quote is perfect too.

ucim wrote:[exterior, day, wide shot]
A party of clerics appears over a grassy hill in animated conversation, and continues their approach down the hill. It is a beautiful clear day, and their flowing yellow robes make a striking contrast with the blue sky and the verdant slopes of the hillside. The camera pans as they approach us, revealing a river further down in the valley. Suddenly they stop.

And this is where I will stop my ketchup for now, because this wins all the everything. I lost it multiple times and may have gotten some weird looks. :mrgreen: My favorite part was probably the berries in the coffee, but the repeated "Neat!" "No, not 'neat'" exchanges were hilarious too. And I imagined the comment about "Yes, that would be glorious, wouldn't it." being read in a dry tone that doubled me up again.

All in all a very well-done chapter. And unless I'm much mistaken you're channeling Monty Python hard. I love it.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:The road goes ever ONG and ONG
Spoiler:

That's a fast growing flower...
(Or a slow walking Cuegan...)

Or the menacing claw of a molpy, excavating himself from the nest of his that their disturbing, flower-like limbs pulsating, demanding veangance!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat May 18, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

past-present-future-watch.jpg

Finally I'm present in the present! Man, I shouldn't let the Needle-pulled thing get away from me like that again. Heel!

Anyway, it's nice to be back among you in real time! Even though my timing is less then stellar, arriving during the weekend where all the action isn't.

And I'm glad to be Swedish, since we don't have a plural for "lego". We say legobitar = "lego pieces".

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 18, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Wanted to throw out all the River5side text in one place (sans wiki):

C: This place is beautiful.
M: Yeah.

M: I'm surprised we haven't been seen by any people yet.
M: If it's this empty, we should live here.

C: Did you notice the sea tasting better?
M: ...No?

M: I don't know. I try not to taste seawater. Why?
C: I was thinking. If the river is putting too much water in the sea, the sea should get fresher.

C: I tasted the water back before we left.
M: Ugh. And?
C: I thought it was a little fresher, but maybe it was just me.
M: Probably. I mean, how high was the sea then? The extra water couldn't have been more than a tiny part of it.
C: Yeah.

C: Well, we may as well continue. Either we'll figure out the sea, or we'll keep finding beautiful places.
M: That sounds fun.

HAL9000 wrote:
htom wrote:

Peaceful. My wife says there are delicious smells (baking for a contest tomorrow.)

Very, very slow tonight. Not too much of a problem, though. We do want the Blitzers to catch up, after all.

Weeeeeeekend!

jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT.
Spoiler:
    Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

You and ggh have done a fantastic job of these!! I wish I were better with rhythmic poetry. :mrgreen:

azule wrote:@Valarya - I can image you (a southerner) saying that, but maybe as "five thick slabs of blue cheese, yeehaw!" .... is that wrong? lol. :mrgreen: Mine would be "five, like, thick slabs of blue, you know, cheese".

Yes, that's wrong - hahah. It's why the paragraph made me feel weird, b/c I don't usually sound 'country' or too 'southern.' That sentence just brought out the worst in my years growing up here. :P Like, totally.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 18, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Back from Coma, I see they are off again, looks like they are following the river bank again.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Grr. Trying to make a ketchup post but when I preview it appears to be rearranged all over the place - quotes off to the side in little tiny colored letters. :?

blargh. Can't even come up with a intelligible edit. Mebbe I'll just read along silently today! But I wanted to know about the baking contest
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 18, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Providing samples of dactylic meter, mathrec, yappobiscuits, ChronosDragon, Exodies, Angelastic, Sciscitor, htom, and maybe others I forgot wrote:Vatican Milliner's {Perfetto | So-Perfect | Most-Perfect | Unerring | Defectless | Accurate} Customer"!
Spaghettification.
Water dilgunnerang
Flightfinger

One think some people might have missed: The rules for a double dactyl poem require that one line be a single six-syllable word. A hyphenated word (such as Water-dilgunnerang) is acceptable, but not preferred. (I don't know if anyone ever wrote one with a quadruple dactyl such as paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde.)

ggh has the whole idea, though:
ggh wrote:Caught up! Finally!
And while there are many exciting things, food and poetry grab me first.
Spoiler:
Can these doohickeys have more than one verse?
(Also, please pronounce oily with three syllables.)

Higgeldy Piggeldy
hailing from New Jersey
never was I unfa-
miliar with grease.
Off to New Zealand and
OMG-chip-butties
gave me a lesson in
waistline increase.

Sandwichy Grandwichy
To make your chip-buttie,
first you take butter and
spread it on bread.
Two slices wrapped around
oily french fries with
kewpie-type-mayonnaise -
Awesomely fed!

Terrific! I've never heard of a two-verse one, but I never saw one with a recipe before, either. Would "deep-fat-fried" work for "oily" or is that a Southern expression?

mscha wrote:I'm sure it's not a coincidence that your username is a double dactyl... (More later, I hope.)

Actually, it is. The regular meter is probably no accident, though I don't truly remember; I've been using the same name in online forums for about 13 or 14 years. But it may not have been conscious─I do that sort of thing automatically, sometimes. That it's dactylic, in particular, is indeed a coincidence (though a treeish one, to me).

Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:FUNONG.
Spoiler:

I'm intrigued by the bank being undercut. Shouldn't that only happen on the outside bank of a bend in the river?

Late response: Not necessarily. You can get an undercut bank anywhere a swift current meets a slope, especially with vegetation. What this bank being undercut tells me is that there aren't herd animals drinking from the river.

And a perfect last bit from ggh that I wish I'd thought of (in fact, I'll see if I can sig it):
ggh wrote:One last installment of ketchup from the distant past before I coma again:Image

Edited to eat cake. :) Thanks mscha!
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 18, 2013 3:57 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

PONGED...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Suggestion for the division of Time since the end of the Fading:

Inland River journey 1421-now
2nd Picnic and discussion 1404-1420
Walking to the river 1384-1403
Cueball's quest 1360-1383
The great sleep 1341-1359
Walking through vegetation 1304-1340

Dune era:
Late Dune era 1268-1303
Dune jumping 1246-1267
Early Dune era 1229-1245

River detour 1218-1228
Flatland 1209-1217
River walking II 1183-1208
Walk to the cliff 1150-1182
Second bank: Cueball's dream 1122-1149
River watch 1097-1121

River walking I 1078-1096
First picnic 1043-1077
(Quest for understanding) 1066-1077
First bank: the Incident 1023-1042
Beach walk 975-1023

The first division is a bit longer, but I don't recall any big differences for a break point, unless it would be pre- and post-camera rotation or if you wanted to acknowledge the mustard. The names are fungible, although I thought a couple are kind of clever.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 18, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

(although almost everything I'm replying to is on this page)

@frame #1427, posted by mscha
@AluisioASG - the potential picture
@PhoenixRising - the Dark Lord
@ucim - the First Cleric Saga

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Following ONG...

Whew... Image

I was actually half-hoping for another fade, then cutting back to LaPetite at the sand castle ... though that could ruin my plans for my story.

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I just ordered a commission to a DeviantArt artist for a heavily-Time-inspired picture.
I'm afraid she won't understand all the references.

:( We aren't deviant enough for your art needs? (I have an there too.) And we'd do it for free. :cry:

Have fun.

Wow - I can't wait for this picture to get drawn! (If I had the skill to do it myself...)

PhoenixRising wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:In a dark room, in a dark palace, on his dark throne, sits the Dark Lord. He is twice the height of a man, clad entirely in black, and on his head is a black crown.
<snip>

...Lord Vader?

Be careful, Cuegan. Don't go to the river. It's a trap!

You know, I've actually never seen Star Wars. I know. Burn me at the stake. (Well, actually, I did see one of the movies on TV when I was ~9 or 10 years old, but I barely remember it.) When I wrote that, I was thinking of a Lord-of-the-Rings-esque Dark Lord ("the Dark Lord on his dark throne").

ucim wrote:[exterior, day, wide shot]
A party of clerics appears over a grassy hill in animated conversation, and continues their approach down the hill. It is a beautiful clear day, and their flowing yellow robes make a striking contrast with the blue sky and the verdant slopes of the hillside. The camera pans as they approach us, revealing a river further down in the valley. Suddenly they stop.

Love this, as usual. So far, the First Cleric Saga is my favorite part of this thread.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Megan and Cueball at the river.
TembONG, his arms wide.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Molpy alert: what turns out to be molpies²⁴ on the far right of the previous frame, have now disappeared.
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 18, 2013 4:13 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:
HES wrote:"Hotel California"
"Randall's One True Comic"

<snip>

Magnificent (and hilarious!) Well written. :D
EDIT: as I went to preview this post I realized my quote structure was broken. Apologies to all if I misattributed this parody...

Correctly attributed, thanks! :D Now let me just add you to the OTW56... My ultimate procrastinatory goal is to have everyone on there, but my drawing skills don't extend much beyond stick figures and hats

56One True Whiteboard. An abbreviation of OTTCIWF1
1One True Thread Condensed Into Whiteboard Form, not any heretical delusions of grandeur
He/Him/His Image

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

I have some ideas for presenting forum activity, inspired by Sciscitor's graph. I'd need some collaboration. The pieces that I need help with are scraping the forum to get some basic who-quoted-whom-when data, and some assistance on the image manipulation (and video preparation?). If you'd like to help, please PM me. Obviously the forum scrape is first, and a partial text database of posts and quotes would get me started. (I'm sure I can capture this from one of the community sites, but I have limited time and I'm trying to use it well.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Ketchup from coma on weekends is pathetically easy...no header or table of contents for you!

Spoiler:

Ooooh, that's cool! Installed :D Though I have two things to point out. Number 1, I didn't start that style of ketchup, I just started using it when it seemed popular. Number 2, if you hit the quote button twice, two boxes will appear and the quote will appear twice in the reply box...I dunno, maybe that's intended behavior? Something to consider anyway.

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Ketchup from coma on weekends is pathetically easy...no header or table of contents for you!

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
Ketchuped!

Ooooh, that's cool! Installed :D Though I have two things to point out. Number 1, I didn't start that style of ketchup, I just started using it when it seemed popular. Number 2, if you hit the quote button twice, two boxes will appear and the quote will appear twice in the reply box...I dunno, maybe that's intended behavior? Something to consider anyway.

Now all we need is a way to nest spoilers properly (but without everybody (including lurkers and passers by) installing a script, I don't see this happening :()
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”