1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:I have some ideas for presenting forum activity, inspired by Sciscitor's graph. I'd need some collaboration. The pieces that I need help with are scraping the forum to get some basic who-quoted-whom-when data, and some assistance on the image manipulation (and video preparation?). If you'd like to help, please PM me. Obviously the forum scrape is first, and a partial text database of posts and quotes would get me started. (I'm sure I can capture this from one of the community sites, but I have limited time and I'm trying to use it well.)

Sounds to me like the first person you should talk to is Kieryn.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sat May 18, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Ketchup from coma on weekends is pathetically easy...no header or table of contents for you!

Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:Ketchuped!

And introducing Multiquote v142315¹⁶.
With this script installed, the behaviour of the quote button changes. It now displays a text field right under the message you're replying to.
You just write your reply and hit "Save".
Do so with all the posts you want to reply to, and finally click on "PostReply" as usual. The text area will be filled with the quotes and your replies. :)

Even if you don't write a reply after clicking on "quote", the quote will be included in the message.
The quote cache will be flushed by clicking on Submit or Preview.

Installation instructions and links here.
There are still a lot of ways to improve it. I could automatically spoiler inner quotes, and prepare a ChronosDragon-style summary at the top with the name of quotees. Let me know if you have ideas. :)

15 the versions are numbered by the newpix I finished them in. That way I can say my scripts are waaaaay ahead of Chrome and Firefox versions!
16 starting at 16 to prevent future standard footnotes to overwrite these

Ooooh, that's cool! Installed :D Though I have two things to point out. Number 1, I didn't start that style of ketchup, I just started using it when it seemed popular. Number 2, if you hit the quote button twice, two boxes will appear and the quote will appear twice in the reply box...I dunno, maybe that's intended behavior? Something to consider anyway.

Number 1: well, I know Earthling on Mars and maybe a couple of others use it too, but you're the one I remembered the most because of your blue summaries. Anyway, it's always hard to find who started what in a 657 page needle-pulled thing. :D

Number 2: there's a bit of code to prevent the box appearing twice, but I didn't test it. :oops: I'll fix that.

HES wrote:Now all we need is a way to nest spoilers properly (but without everybody (including lurkers and passers by) installing a script, I don't see this happening :()

The only way then is fixing the phpBB BBCode parser. But I doubt the One True Webmaster davean would let us do that. :D
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Sat May 18, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

I've grown tired of ONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

No new Molpy (or Molpyflower) activity...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 18, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Ketchup from coma on weekends is pathetically easy...no header or table of contents for you!

Spoiler:

With this script installed, the behaviour of the quote button changes. It now displays a text field right under the message you're replying to.
You just write your reply and hit "Save".
Do so with all the posts you want to reply to, and finally click on "PostReply" as usual. The text area will be filled with the quotes and your replies. :)

Even if you don't write a reply after clicking on "quote", the quote will be included in the message.
The quote cache will be flushed by clicking on Submit or Preview.

There are still a lot of ways to improve it. I could automatically spoiler inner quotes, and prepare a ChronosDragon-style summary at the top with the name of quotees. Let me know if you have ideas. :)

15 the versions are numbered by the newpix I finished them in. That way I can say my scripts are waaaaay ahead of Chrome and Firefox versions!
16 starting at 16 to prevent future standard footnotes to overwrite these

Ooooh, that's cool! Installed :D Though I have two things to point out. Number 1, I didn't start that style of ketchup, I just started using it when it seemed popular. Number 2, if you hit the quote button twice, two boxes will appear and the quote will appear twice in the reply box...I dunno, maybe that's intended behavior? Something to consider anyway.

Number 1: well, I know Earthling on Mars and maybe a couple of others use it too, but you're the one I remembered the most because of your blue summaries. Anyway, it's always hard to find who started what in a 657 page needle-pulled thing. :D

From a quick search, it appears ucim may have been the first to use it, exactly 100 pages ago. Just for the record.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 18, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Pikrass, this is genius!!! It will make ketching up sooo much easier. More time reading, less time organizing replies and quotes1. THANK YOU!!

ENDINGS: Remember, the End needs to, in some way, resolve or shed light upon both the title ("Time") and the alt-text ("Wait for it.")

1 and, most importantly more Time for HATS!!

Edit: added ENDINGS thingy and subsequently tidying up for readability.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Sat May 18, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Spoiler:
Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  • Each poem is eight lines long.
  • Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  • The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily).
  • The second line names a person or place.
  • One line in the second half (usually the sixth, but again not necessarily) is a double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).

I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, here are a couple of examples that I hope will inspire more:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Does this meet the criteria?

Languages, smanguages!
    Ebonite wonders: are
    Sandwiches made out of
    Toast or a bun?
    Pluralizational
    Issues with "Lego" and
    Alternate meanings of
    "Bacon" are fun!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Expecting more Molpy activity? WrONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

I'm a few messages too late (or perhaps not – I think I've posted about 4 messages in non-True threads) but here's some more badly photoshopped cake.

Looks like newpixbot and I will have to eat the whole thing. This place is deserted. :?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat May 18, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

A brief, and necessarily cursory, BlitzPost from NP 557 (of 657, at this writing... sigh. Damn Outside, preventing me from keeping up with the OTT1 and OTC. Still I Quest2 on, a boat against the current3. Maybe today, being home with a cold, I'll ketchup4).

Portentous dialogue about days, kids, tents; in the OTT, a discussion of units of length (cues vs [the Outside] giraffes)...

... and in the last mumblehundred NewPages, altogether too many wonderful songs, poems, jokes, graphs, charts, cartoons, drawings, animations, assemblages, calculations, speculations, combinations and permutations for me to begin to think about how I might approach the preparation of a plan to draft a manifesto on how to do justice to. Let it sound heretical, but I'm beginning to think that however Big the Sea may be, the OTT is Bigger.

Never mind. [fogey] In all my time online (BBSs, FidoNet5, usenet, archie/veronica, the whole schmear) [/fogey], I've never found, lurked on, or posted to a thread or discussion as much fun as this. Thank you, one and all.

(and back to Blitzing I go)

1 Increasingly Sea-like, I find; see above.
2 In my last BlitzPost, I sort of absent-mindedly coined [sic] the term "trekery," only to feel embarrassed as I realized how much it sounded like both "treachery" and "trickery". I'm not usually so tin-eared. Sorry about that, BlitzGirl.
3 Fast? Slow? Dangerous? No? At this point I'm really not sure.
4 I'm that far behind, or rather that far out of it, that I'm still hazy on the distinction between blitzing and ketchup(ping?). But by the time I reach this signpost, I'm sure I'll have it right.
5 Anyone remember that? "When it has to be there ten days from tomorrow"?
6 See my first paragraph; I'm not at my best today, and so not really up to the task of creating proper nested/convoluted footnotes.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

(It's a small one, only two things)
@PhoenixRising: Svengoolie
Spoiler:
PhoenixRising wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@PhoenixRising: Svengoolie
PhoenixRising wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Oh man, I remember that movie. First time I saw it was on Svengoolie (yes, he's still around). Those B-movies are great.

I can't believe someone else has actually heard of Svengoolie, let alone watched him. Those rubber chickens man... :D

Calling all stations! Clear the airlanes, clear all airlanes for the big broadcast!

YES!

Not sure which Svengoolie you watched (apparently it's more a passed-down title than any particular guy?) but mine was Rich Koz, and I always thought it was awesome he was also the host of the Three Stooges show that was on just before Sven. I may have even wondered once or twice (we didn't usually record stuff so the technology wasn't overly familiar to me) how he got changed so fast between shows. :lol:

Rich Koz is the one I'm familiar with. First saw his show on MeTV, but I'm surprised I didn't know about him earlier. Before he was picked up by a national station his show aired in the Milwaukee/Chicago area, which is where I've spent my entire life so far. If I had watched enough late-night television, I might've seen him on a local station.
He was to host of the Three Stooges show? That's why the Stooges show up for a second at the very beginning of his show's intro! I had never made that connection, actually.

@everyone: double-dactyl poems!
I wrote one for myself! Is that okay?
Here it is, but be warned: I'm not much of a poet (I can sing, though).

Top o' the NewPage it's
good ol' HAL nine-thousand
Vatican Milliner's
Perfect Cust'mer
Monomaniacally
hunting for rule-breaking
attributable to
human error.

I felt that "Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer" fits well in mine, as I've been the main proponent of the title.
Also, sorry about the second-last line's not quite fitting, but I needed to maintain the integrity of the original quote.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

tenofzero

Postby tenofzero » Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

ggh wrote:This one's lamer, because 1) it's missing the big word, and 2) it has to be explained.

Babel-ly Table-ly
Regional dialects
"Bacon" ain't bacon 'cause
There ain't no fat.
Ask for a "lemonade"
Sprite's in the glass you get.
Fanny Pack? - Heehee - a
"fanny"'s a twat.

More stuff I was thinking about, way back when you were talking about different names that different regions have for things:
Moving to the other side of the world, different words had to be learned (bathing suit -> togs, flip-flops -> jandals, trunk -> boot, etc.) but if I said the wrong thing, it was fine anyways - everyone knew what I meant. It was just one more sign of my Americanism, and I wasn't fooling anyone anyway.

What I found trickier was when a word I thought I knew meant something else. In NZ, "lemonade" means a lemony soda like Sprite, and to get an American-style lemonade, (if they even have it) you must ask for an "old-fashioned lemonade." In the US, the entree is the main course, but in NZ (and really everywhere else I think) it's the appetizer. I think most Kiwis know that Americans mean something different when they say "fanny", but it's still fun to make them aware of it.

And bacon, yes bacon....
This gets to go by the word "bacon" in the US,
Picture 28.png
but if you want it in New Zealand, you must specify "streaky bacon."

This owns the word "bacon" in NZ, and I suspect in the UK:
Picture 29.png
but if you want it in the States, I understand you must ask for Canadian bacon.

I think one of my first brunches in NZ involved both the unexpected bacon and the unexpected lemonade. It still beat the hell out of the first brunch that I tried to pretend I was a proper Kiwi by ordering the steak and kidneys.

Edit: trimmed stray sentence
Edit 2: and stray word

Canadian Bacon is just like regular Bacon but a little leaner.
Also, now I really want lemonade.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 18, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:No new Molpy (or Molpyflower) activity...

I imagine that the molpies use flower-like tendrils to lure in prey, like angler fish
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Ace

Postby Ace » Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I am going to ask that no one comment on the preceding paragraph and that it not be quoted. I do not wish to carry the discussion further, I only mean to state, for what it is worth, my feelings on the matter and hope only that my voice is read.To me, the OTT is a kind of sanctuary from the [heretical]Outside[/heretical]. We share a fellowship, fictional though it may be, that exists in the OTT. That is why I come here. I hope it is why everyone else comes here, too. Lurkers included.

Which brings me to my next point. Hello lurkers! Please, join us!

Hello!

I've been lurking and looking for a good excuse to post again, having had many heretical (Outside) distractions since my previous post. I sat down to whip up a slightly better avatar (done) and ketchup the thread (from about the 620s, currently NP 652) and this was the first post I felt like responding to.

Don't get me wrong, the regional difference stuff fascinates me, I'm just not sure the thread will still be on about that by the time I reach NP 657. (I've had internet for years, and I'm still seeing words I've never heard before. Now craving a chip butty though, thanks to two separate conversations at this stage of the ketchup.)

Kazza3 wrote:Australian contribution to the 'what different things are called' discussion:

Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:<snip>
Another fun thing he did in the class was show pictures of common objects (such as the wheelbarrow) and ask students to write down what they were called. Some of them included:
- a bottle containing a carbonated beverage
- the valve-like device attached to the side of your house that you might attach a garden hose to
- a paper container that the grocery store puts your purchases into so you can carry them out

Naturally, each of these had more names than people realized.

- Soft drink
- Tap
- (Plastic) bag

Valarya wrote:
Angelastic wrote:While we're talking about things whose words vary a lot between countries, what do you call the clothes made for swimming in? (I think 'swimsuit' is the most internationally-understood word; that's what I say if I manage to catch myself before saying something nobody will understand.) In NZ it's 'swimming togs' or just 'togs'. Elsewhere, I've heard bathers, swimmers, cossies, trunks, swimming costume, and probably some others.

Bathing Suit. Or swimsuit. If you're referring to a male swimsuit: swim trunks. I've never heard of any of the others. :P

Swimmers/bathers. Cossies is more or less an antiquated, 1950s-esque term. When you say male swimsuit, I think of an all-body kind of deal (professional style), which I'd just call a swimsuit- men's swimming 'shorts' are board shorts, and swimming underwear would be speedos (brandname degradation), or, famously, budgie-smugglers.

htom wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?

1 - other fillings are available

Bun or roll. Bun is more likely a sweetened or milk yeast bread, roll a potato water or straight yeast bread. In the USA.

Also bun or roll, and I think I'd broadly agree (though I'm not really sure what potato water or milk yeast refer to, and in my experience in the US, all your bread has been strongly sweetened), but to me a bun is more a large, flattened, probably circular bread, for burgers and the like, and in fast food chains could be sweetened; a bun could also be non-chopped and an actual sweet treat, like a Boston bun or coffee scroll. A roll probably fits the description better for me, as smaller, savoury, slightly-squashed bread. Though probably containing ham, not bacon.

And for me chips refer to both hot and cold 'chips', and is the most common word for both. You could further break up hot chips into the thick-cut kind and thin McDonald's-style, which if you were wanting to refer specifically to the latter as opposed to the former you'd call fries, but otherwise all chips.

Alright, fine, I'll weigh in on the language stuff - yeah, I use all of these, except female one piece swimwear is only bathers, and the only full body ones I can think of are wetsuits, typically more insulated than the average swimwear. (I guess 'swimwear' is also a word for that, but it's more a general description of the thing than what I would call the thing itself.)

The swimwear differences seem to be regional, as far as I've noticed. US folks have all those soft drink variations, swimwear is the same for Aussies. It's our version of having many words for snow, since we mostly don't have snow.

ggh wrote:Fanny Pack? - Heehee - a
"fanny"'s a twat.

(bathing suit -> togs, flip-flops -> jandals, trunk -> boot, etc.)

Fanny pack is I think what I'd call a 'bum bag', little pouch thing with a zip and a strap that goes around the waist, yes? I covered swimwear (bathers), Flip-flops are called thongs (the underpant style of thong is called a G string), trunk is boot.

Also, you never 'root' for your team, you 'barrack' for them. Rooting means shagging, banging, etc. On a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is 'sleeping with', and 10 can not be repeated in polite company, 'rooting' is probably a 7. (Yes, the old grammar joke 'eats, shoots, and leaves' does have a crude alternative: 'eats, roots, and leaves'.)

My second post in a nutshell: Budgie smugglers, thongs (and the other kind), and rooting. Only in language discussions... Caught up to the present, also. (On that subject, we don't really have ketchup, just tomato sauce. But I go with ketchup in reference to this post because it's the forum term - ketchup is a word that means only this style of catch up post, to me.)
Wait for it.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

DOODEEDOODEEDONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 18, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Introducing...

The Newpix-O-Meter v2.0

Now with fancy pocketwatch graphics! And 16 subdivisions instead of outsider 12!
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:15 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Hi! Does anyone have an image of mathrec's solved puzzle that had the hattie solution? It's probably spoilered somewhere, and I can't find it. Thanks!!!

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Hmm, I've never been much for dimeter dactyls. How about:

Peregrinational
Cueball and Megan have
seen that their castle can
no longer stand.
Faced with the sea's1 rise, an
investigational
quest for the reason2 leads
them o'er the land.

1Big.
2It can do whatever it wants.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:Hmm, I've never been much for dimeter dactyls. How about:

Peregrinational
Cueball and Megan have
seen that their castle can
no longer stand.
Faced with the sea's1 rise, an
investigational
quest for the reason2 leads
them o'er the land.

1Big.
2It can do whatever it wants.

If the new comic about 33 longpix from now discusses double dactyls, I will take it as conclusive proof that GLR or his agents are following the OTT.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Jaypety daypety
jjjdavidson
He is a loopist by
    choice and belief.
He set a challenge for
us in the forum but
double a dactyl is
    hard to achieve.

(Yikes, this is so much
harder than writing haiku.
I think I'll give up.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Sat May 18, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Blitzily Molpily
Neologisticly
Momery Popery
Newpixing ONG

Cuegan heroic'ly
Sandcastle engineer
Riversea theorise
StratPlayer song

Edited to fix bloody autocorrects.
Last edited by Eoink on Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Hi! Does anyone have an image of mathrec's solved puzzle that had the hattie solution? It's probably spoilered somewhere, and I can't find it. Thanks!!!

Here's SBN's solution with a punchline correction from BlitzGirl.
(If you need it for hattening purposes, it's not exactly a pretty one. I don't think we've seen a better one for this puzzle, though, so you might need to start with the original.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

This is more relevant to othercomics than to the OTC, but it fits most of the conventions:

Theropod sauropod
Cretaceous dinosaurs
Made lovely melodies
Just like birdsong
But those who hung 'round to
Listen to seven-part
Velocirhapsodies
Seldom lived long
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

'posted by newpixbot' is a double dactyl.

Earthling on Mars wrote:You know, I've actually never seen Star Wars. I know. Burn me at the stake.

It's okay! Neither have I. And I admitted it while trapped on a ship full of geeks, and they didn't kill me. Timewaiters will probably be nice to us too.

*eats some of mscha's cake* I only eight a zero; it won't even fill me up.

'Root' also means that in NZ, and there's plenty of scope for lewd comments about 'root access' on your 'box' (which I think is from 'boxed lunch', a not-particularly-common slang term for fanny, which is the NZ/Aus word for something I probably can't say until I get to a round number of posts.)

I love all the double dactyl poems, and for some reason I read them all with a tune, though I'm not sure where it's from. It starts off similar to My Favourite Things.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:This is more relevant to othercomics than to the OTC, but it fits most of the conventions:

Theropod sauropod
Cretaceous dinosaurs
Made lovely melodies
Just like birdsong
But those who hung 'round to
Listen to seven-part
Velocirhapsodies
Seldom lived long

That's pretty awesome. I think velocirhapsodies is going to be part of everyday lexicon from now on
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:'posted by newpixbot' is a double dactyl.

Ongkety gongkety
posted by newpixbot
'cause it is quiet and
    nobody posts.
Must be the weekend, when
even our BlitzGirl is
extendedcomaing
    here only ghosts.
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I'm a few messages too late (or perhaps not – I think I've posted about 4 messages in non-True threads) but here's some more badly photoshopped cake.
Looks like newpixbot and I will have to eat the whole thing. This place is deserted. :?

Hey, cake! Yum. Any left still? I wouldn't mind joining you in some cake eating. :D

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

WHATSUPONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
mscha wrote:I'm a few messages too late (or perhaps not – I think I've posted about 4 messages in non-True threads) but here's some more badly photoshopped cake.

Hey, cake! Yum. Any left still? I wouldn't mind joining you in some cake eating. :D

Plenty left. Newpixbot isn't a big eater, and I stopped after my fourth slice.
Help yourselves!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:

Plenty left. Newpixbot isn't a big eater, and I stopped after my fourth slice.
Help yourselves!

Ooh! Ooh! I want some too!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sat May 18, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Plenty left. Newpixbot isn't a big eater, and I stopped after my fourth slice.
Help yourselves!

Mmwwmba ggff mrwggbv bawh...

*swallows*

Sorry, mouth full. That rightmost plant-thing almost looks like a (huge) cat's head to me. Two ears, a white one-pixel nose and whiskers on both sides. Not that it is one, but still.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 18, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Grr. Trying to make a ketchup post but when I preview it appears to be rearranged all over the place - quotes off to the side in little tiny colored letters. :?

blargh. Can't even come up with a intelligible edit. Mebbe I'll just read along silently today! But I wanted to know about the baking contest

I'm very pleased with the bakeoff contest. Got the red ribbon (2nd) in the Sourdough Division, and was told by one of the judges that I only lost because of "the power of the cheese"; the winning sourdough had grated Swiss cheese in the dough. Most of the sourdoughs had additions -- cranberry, walnuts, pecans, ... even mine had 10 grain cereal. Next year, I'm considering putting bacon crumbles in my sourdough! My other entries were praised by judges and competitors, but no other prizes. How the judges decide, I don't know. I probably tasted thirty or forty entries, all were all delicious. I thought the Swiss Sourdough was better than mine.

There were several professional bakers there; I asked about the difference between bun and roll, they looked at each other and I got a different answer from each. Generally buns are bigger than rolls, but some rolls are bigger than those buns. So ... tradition, and schooling, they agreed, was what determined what you would call a given thing. No great rule, "Well, both of them are smaller than a cantaloupe?"

As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.

Double-dactyl (isn't, and sounds like something you'd do with two jump ropes.)
AlttextsaysWaitforit;
NewpixbotpoststheONG
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

HES

Postby HES » Sat May 18, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Introducing...

The Newpix-O-Meter v2.0

Now with fancy pocketwatch graphics! And 16 subdivisions instead of outsider 12!

Ooh, an upgrade! You haven't been visited by any metal men recently, have you?

PSE1: The rest of this post didn't make sense, but while writing it I was surprised that "flummoxed" didn't anger the spell checker. One of those happy moments where you accidentally get something right.

Nothing like a good bit of cake to settle back down after the Doctor Who finale... thanks mscha (and newpixbot)!
And congratulations htom!
PSE2: Now I feel kinda bad for congratulating over cake, but not marriages or babies... so congratulations to those of you doing cool things with your lives!

1Pre-Submit Edit
2Post-Submit Edit
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:That rightmost plant-thing almost looks like a (huge) cat's head to me. Two ears, a white one-pixel nose and whiskers on both sides. Not that it is one, but still.

A cat? That seems unlikely. Felis Raptoricus, probably.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.
Spoiler:
Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  • Each poem is eight lines long.
  • Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  • The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily).
  • The second line names a person or place.
  • One line in the second half (usually the sixth, but again not necessarily) is a double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).

I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, here are a couple of examples that I hope will inspire more:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

Doubledy dactyldy
I don't remember who
but in the OTT
    someone did once
grammar-analysis
maybe can they provide
d-dactyl candidates
    by any chance⁰?

⁰: need to read this with an English accent, I guess...
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 18, 2013 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 18, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:ENDINGS: Remember, the End needs to, in some way, resolve or shed light upon both the title ("Time") and the alt-text ("Wait for it.")

You're barking up the wrong tree. The OTCAT's work is done.
ETA this week we learned that the soufflé is the recipe.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 18, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Molpy alert: what turns out to be molpies²⁴ on the far right of the previous frame, have now disappeared.
Spoiler:

Molpies are awesomely
capturing everyone
inside the OTT
furry and cute.
Give them a cupcake treat
mustard and ketchup, too
treeishly worship them
with Meg and Cue.

I had to go to the Double Dactyl wiki page in order to finally get the Long-short-short piece of it. whew.
Last edited by Valarya on Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 18, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:That rightmost plant-thing almost looks like a (huge) cat's head to me. Two ears, a white one-pixel nose and whiskers on both sides. Not that it is one, but still.

A cat? That seems unlikely. Felis Raptoricus, probably.

Mewmety growlgety
Felis Raptoricus
Could it be seen in the
    last OTC?
That seems unlikely, but
one never knows, we've seen
rabbityraptorbirds
    also Molpy.
Last edited by mscha on Sat May 18, 2013 8:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 18, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Wow - sigged! Thanks jjjdavidson! And yes, "deep fat fried" is better, both for meter, and for the sense of artery-clogging potential. :)

Dilberty Skillberty
m-s-c-h-a, - the
Lord of the newpixbot,
Master of games!
Cheers for the humour, the
beautiful sideviews, and
molpydetectoring
diff'rence of frames!

Editty Shmeditty:
Vatican Milliner's
Defectless Customer
Woohoo for me
Here I am NewPagePope
(though it's not recognized
sanctificationwise,
I'd like to be.)
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 18, 2013 9:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat May 18, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mscha wrote:Molpy alert: what turns out to be molpies²⁴ on the far right of the previous frame, have now disappeared.
Spoiler:

Molpies are awesomely
capturing everyone
inside the OTT
furry and cute.
Give them a cupcake treat
mustard and ketchup, too
treeishly worship them
with Meg and Cue.

I had to go to the Double Dactyl wiki page in order to finally get the Long-short-short piece of it. whew.

mscha, how do you get the spaces in lines 4/8 ? I have them indented, but it isn't saving on submit. :(
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”