1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Mon May 20, 2013 3:07 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Bloody Hell, it's Lederhosen Toaster! Album (Free download, I wouldn't expect anyone in their right mind to actually pay for this :P)

Reminds me of the Amateur Transplants, that is to say "surprisingly good British parody music that gets me weird looks when I forget to use headphones"
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 3:09 am UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Bloody Hell, it's Lederhosen Toaster! Album (Free download, I wouldn't expect anyone in their right mind to actually pay for this :P)

Reminds me of the Amateur Transplants, that is to say "surprisingly good British parody music that gets me weird looks when I forget to use headphones"

"Surprisingly good" is a nice surprise for me since I've always thought it's probably awful :P Thanks :)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am UTC

For jetpac

jetpac-hat-s.png
jetpac-hat-s.png (23.53 KiB) Viewed 18331 times

jetpac.jpg
jetpac.jpg (12.73 KiB) Viewed 18331 times

tofudragon7

Postby tofudragon7 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 am UTC

descor wrote:If they keep drinking eventually one of them will have to go to the loo/bathroom

Haven't seen it happen yet...

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

"Surprisingly good" is a nice surprise for me since I've always thought it's probably awful :P Thanks :)

I use the term loosely :wink:
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 20, 2013 3:14 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Bad choice. Now I can't stop dancing.
Got through the 25-minute barrier, though.
Well, deadly diseases require strong medicine. At least it got you out of... well... that song. Dancing isn't that bad for a side effect, and is self limiting. Now... can you replace the rhythm with a double dactyl rhythm? (Do this gradually for the next stage to be effective.) Can you dance to those double dactyls?

As you start doing this, try to focus more and more on the words, then gradually transition to haiku. Don't do it too quickly or you'll just relapse, but if you do it right, you should probably end up in a space which is more easily treatable.

Hang in there! We don't want to lose you!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I've been looking at the snake panels of Umwelt, hoping to use them to illustrate my Loopist ideas, and noticed for the first time that the images have the same type of filename as Timeframes: 64-digit hexadecimal numbers. This lends credence to the idea that Timeframe names are simply 256-bit random strings formatted as hex, rather than an actual hash of some sort of sequence value. I originally thought they were hashed, but I'm giving up on that idea. Too bad, because there's at least a chance of discovering a pattern behind hashed names, but no chance if they're random.

Yeah. At this point, I think it's clear that if there's anything interesting hidden in the Timeframe names... well, OtherComic 516. OK, that's not really a link. I'm not allowed to post those yet. ETA: macraw83, blitzing, suggested that I add the actual link to make life easier for future blitzers... here it is.

(Not that I think hidden meanings in the filenames were ever likely. Are there any known instances of GLR hiding things in the implementation of an OtherComic?)
Last edited by nerdsniped on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Yeah. At this point, I think it's clear that if there's anything interesting hidden in the Timeframe names... well, OtherComic 516. OK, that's not really a link. I'm not allowed to post those yet.

I'm sure lying that way to us is considered heresy.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
We still need to keep the original tag. Posts are stored as HTML in the database, and are converted back to BBCode when edited or quoted. So we must be careful not to break compatibility with "old" messages.

I have a working patch that only takes care of the nested spoilers problem. I can add support for this too and provide the code to convert it back, but I think we shouldn't complicate it too much. I don't see an use case for the "conceal" part, I'd rather just implement a [spoiler="text to be displayed instead of 'Spoiler'"] tag, as other forums do.

In a similare way, I'd like to shorter the Javascript of the "Show" button¹, and maybe add a second Hide button at the bottom of the spoiler, but the old messages wouldn't benefit from it, and there would be two pieces of code to convert it back. So I don't know if it's worth it.

That would be great. The spoiler=text. The shortened JS (just on the principle of the thing). I don't think we'd need a second hide unless you also implement a JS scrollTo set to the top of the spoiler.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 20, 2013 3:30 am UTC

f0rmicUla wrote:
Ace wrote:
ucim wrote:@Ace, and any other new posters Welcome!

Ooh, a personalised welcome! I've been lurking so long (practically since the OTC started - I came to see what the deal was with two stick figures on a beach) that I felt a bit weird about delurking, but I'm feeling better about it now.

I'm a Since-the-beginning-of-Time lurker, too. I've been enjoying XKCD for years, but I rarely went to the forums/fora and didn't feel the need to sign up.
But now, after reading 600ish NPs and feeling encouraged by ucim I just have to take my imaginary hat off to you all. All this creativity and madness, the haikus, poems, hats, velocirhapsodies, charts, maps, and whatnot really give me the feeling that mankind is not all screwed up. This may sound a bit elevated but I mean it. As someone said before, this (the OTT, of course) must be the most civilised place in the internets. To me it is for sure, and the funniest and most interesting place, too.
Time dwellers, blitzers, and condimenters:Thank you!

f0rmi

Tossing this forward. (New poster's posts are hidden until moderators can determine that it's not a spambot... when they finally appear, their position is unchanged, and in a thread that moves this quickly, is buried.)

So, welcome, f0rmi, to this mad world!

And did you actually read all six hundred pages - start to finish? That is an astounding feat! (I take it you started reading when the comic started?) edit: Of course you did - that's what you just said, above. Time does things to people's brains!

AluisioASG wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Yeah. At this point, I think it's clear that if there's anything interesting hidden in the Timeframe names... well, (link added) OtherComic 516.
That's what they want you to believe. :)

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Mon May 20, 2013 4:34 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 20, 2013 3:41 am UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Yeah. At this point, I think it's clear that if there's anything interesting hidden in the Timeframe names... well, (link added) OtherComic 516.

That's what they want you to believe. :)
Jose

It was exactly about the link that I was talking about.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:52 am UTC

Looks like I will be coma-ing during the NP of the Beast.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 am UTC

NewParse,NewData,NewFeature,NewWords

Now each frame/newpix has it's own page. (Accessible from forum navigator)

New & notable words of each newpix are listed on the newpix pages.

NewPix Example: Molpy
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 am UTC

ATaleOfTwoONGers

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 am UTC

He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Ahh, GeoGuessr... I always end up getting way too into it, and doing tons of detective work to find out EXACTLY where I am XD

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon May 20, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Obligatory "Othercomic is a reference to Time" theory:

Meanwhile, I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Mon May 20, 2013 5:03 am UTC

Is it wrONG to belONG to the tribe of ONG?

Edit: I see neither molpys nor insects, but at least there appears to be little chance of another Megan accident.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 20, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Gah! Tried it once, attempting to guess based on foliage where it was. I was completely wrong on most counts (whyever was it in Australia 3 times in a row? And why does Australia look so much like the rest of the world!?)

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Arky wrote:Obligatory "Othercomic is a reference to Time" theory:

Meanwhile, I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes

Obligatory "Othercomic is a reference to OTT" theory:

alt-text mentions LegoLand in Denmark. Is that place chiefly built from brick? :wink:
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Mon May 20, 2013 5:27 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Ahh, GeoGuessr... I always end up getting way too into it, and doing tons of detective work to find out EXACTLY where I am XD

I played once or twice, kept digging around (going up and down roads and lanes) to find street signs, other features. The only one I got from my homeland (AU) was simple once I figured out there was a phone number on the adjacent building - closest effort "0.005km" (5 metres or 15 feet) from the "right" point. That's when I figured out I was too OCD to enjoy it.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 am UTC

[heresy]
Blind posting ketchupless
Dactylagnificent
Stories about outside
    Shows on TV.

H.B.O. got it right
With all the Lannisters
Villains you love to hate
    Watch and you'll see.

Higgedly piggedly
Game of thrones captured me
Just like all Sundays that
    Came before now.

Can't wait for episode
Nine to come on TV
Weddingspectacular
    Prepare to cow.[/heresy]

Help me.....
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 am UTC

NEWPIXBOTONG
Coming on the next newpix.

There was a fly in newpix#1463 (offcenter, half-a-cue up), gone in the next two. Nothing I can tell in the current two.

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Awaiting avails another anthropomorphic adventure!

Our story unfolds with some plans on a man's desk. A blueprint. Crudely drawn shapes overlap above, under, and around other shapes, resembling something uncannily familiar. Writing is scrawled plentifully around, yet it cannot be deciphered.

This man is very busy. He has built a lot of things. He gives talks to others trying to increase their knowledge. He is left with little time to enjoy the little things in life. With his plans ready, the man begins work.

Every day a bell is rung. Twenty-four times in that day it is rung. For every bell ring, the man has finished fashioning a shape from the page into an object in front of him. Piece by piece the man progresses. He forgoes his sleep to build. In the dead of the night he passes out only to be woken by the 'dong' of the bell from which point he continues.

After three sleepless weeks of toiling, the man has every piece he needs. There are boxes stacked, diodes lined, and circuit boards prepared. Today, at the start of the first 'bong', the man assembles his creation. His work lasts fifteen hours.

"Hello", the man says. Before him stands a tall, square creature. It does not respond.

"Hello, you are my creation. I will give you a name soon, but first I must see if you are as capable as I've made you to be." The creature stares and still does not move.

"I command that you go forth into the world and retrieve for me something full of intrigue and mystery." The man touches the creature with his hand. The creature begins its noisy stroll, heading out the door. The man sits, not working, but simply waiting. He sits but he does not rest. At least not yet.

The creature travels far. A bell ring marks its journey's end. Opening its eyes the creation captures a scene. With quickness it now heads back to the home of its creator.

The man sits, dozing off, when the sound of a motor pulls him from the grip of his nemesis. The creature has returned.

"Ahh, my creation. Welcome home." The man stands, filled with excitement. "What do you have for me?"

The creature has now been given reason to communicate. ONG.

The man scratches his head. "I have given you the ability of speech, why do you only use the sound of a bell?"

The creature again attempts its vocalization, ONG. With nothing else to be said the creature's eyes brighten, flashing, projecting light. The man knows what function this is. He quickly readies a white screen and turns down the lights.

The man stands to the left of the glowing creature and watches with the glee of discovery. Projected in black and white is a scene. "What is this", the man questions, "is this a beach?"

The scene is hard to make out. There appears to be a couple sitting. All in black and white, but without any depth at all. "I see that you've brought me a picture", the man says, "but what of the distance, what of the background? Why is all I see so flat?"

The creature is still. It does not 'ong', it does not move. The projection of its eyes fade.

"My creation, you have brought me something, but something of which I cannot understand." The man talks softly, with his hand on the creature's body. "I am intrigued. I am mystified. I find that you have succeeded."

The man paces the room for a moment. "I am not yet satisfied, though." The man comes back to touch his creation again. "I will now bestow upon you the most fitting name my mind can create", the man pauses, "you shall be known as NewPixBot."

Part the Next of the Story of NewPixBot.
Last edited by azule on Mon May 20, 2013 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Ding DONG the fly is dead
Which old fly? The annoying fly!
Comatime.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Woo, I'm all caught up!
that was pretty quick because
I did skim a lot.

You can call LEGO
bricks "LEGOs" if you first call
a brick a LEGO.

Potato cakes or
Scallops? I always call them
Potato scallops.

I keep forgetting to post our name for flat round potato based consumables. It's a lip smacking "gromperenkichelcher".
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 am UTC

That was brilliant, azule! I imagined it taking place in a dark, steampunky workshop... this sort of thing :D

*giggles* 69th post...

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby Exodies » Mon May 20, 2013 7:40 am UTC

azule wrote:Awaiting avails another anthropomorphic adventure!

Bravo!

This got me thinking, Cueball and Megan could build stuff with only a dot matrix printer.

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 20, 2013 7:44 am UTC

ucim wrote:
f0rmicUla wrote:
Ace wrote:
ucim wrote:@Ace, and any other new posters Welcome!

Ooh, a personalised welcome! I've been lurking so long (practically since the OTC started - I came to see what the deal was with two stick figures on a beach) that I felt a bit weird about delurking, but I'm feeling better about it now.

I'm a Since-the-beginning-of-Time lurker, too. I've been enjoying XKCD for years, but I rarely went to the forums/fora and didn't feel the need to sign up.
But now, after reading 600ish NPs and feeling encouraged by ucim I just have to take my imaginary hat off to you all. All this creativity and madness, the haikus, poems, hats, velocirhapsodies, charts, maps, and whatnot really give me the feeling that mankind is not all screwed up. This may sound a bit elevated but I mean it. As someone said before, this (the OTT, of course) must be the most civilised place in the internets. To me it is for sure, and the funniest and most interesting place, too.
Time dwellers, blitzers, and condimenters:Thank you!

f0rmi

Tossing this forward. (New poster's posts are hidden until moderators can determine that it's not a spambot... when they finally appear, their position is unchanged, and in a thread that moves this quickly, is buried.)

So, welcome, f0rmi, to this mad world!

And did you actually read all six hundred pages - start to finish? That is an astounding feat! (I take it you started reading when the comic started?) edit: Of course you did - that's what you just said, above. Time does things to people's brains!

Thanks for bringing this forward, ucim! This thread moves so quickly. It's not so big a task to have read it all if you've been lurking since the thread started... ...I skimmed and skipped a lot of the early pages though.

Welcome f0rmi!

Exodies wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Woo, I'm all caught up!
that was pretty quick because
I did skim a lot.

You can call LEGO
bricks "LEGOs" if you first call
a brick a LEGO.

Potato cakes or
Scallops? I always call them
Potato scallops.

I keep forgetting to post our name for flat round potato based consumables. It's a lip smacking "gromperenkichelcher".

Right, yes. Also forgetful. The batter fried potato things are called potato fritters here.
Wait for it.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 am UTC

@yappobiscuits - 69, dude! Congrats!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 am UTC

It's gone slow. Does no one want to be Cardinal number 666?

Sheldon

Postby Sheldon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:02 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:

I played once or twice, kept digging around (going up and down roads and lanes) to find street signs, other features. The only one I got from my homeland (AU) was simple once I figured out there was a phone number on the adjacent building - closest effort "0.005km" (5 metres or 15 feet) from the "right" point. That's when I figured out I was too OCD to enjoy it.

What, you're allowed to move from that starting spot?
Gah, I clearly like to make puzzles harder than they should as I felt like it was cheating when I used zoom! (I also didn't realise until my last guess that I could zoom in on the world map in the corner) :oops:
In my defence, I've never seen nor played it before (there goes any of my Outside time).
I only got one bad guess though (a gaggle of telescopes were on the tip of S.Africa not in the Atacama as I guessed) although I did think getting to within a few hundred km of a random dirt track based purely on the state of the road and there being a discarded beer bottle (sadly no raptorflies or frograptors and I couldn't confirm the presence of any molpy as they blend into the background so well)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 20, 2013 8:02 am UTC

TBDONG

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 20, 2013 8:07 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Heh, the only one I even got in the right country was an outback road up north - Aussie bush trees look distinctive, I thought... Next one was another rural road that was not Australia, as I guessed. I guess not as distinctive as I thought.
Wait for it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 8:14 am UTC

Yeah, the country roads are hardest, makes any "detective work" (i.e. finding signposts :P) virtually impossible... best you can do is figure out the rough area from the terrain or foliage...

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For Flado

Oh! Oh! I'm bereft of words!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon May 20, 2013 8:47 am UTC

As if Megan and Cueball's walkabout wasn't enough, the deserted stretches of roads? I got on that thing are increasing the urge to go travelling again. For now, I'm happy enough to travel vicariously through the OTC.

Besides, I haven't travelled alone yet, and am not sure I want to. Forget safety, who am I going to gush with about seeing cool things?

?Yes, the roads. One image had snow and buildings, another had a lake, but it was the roads that called to me. I don't even know.
Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am UTC

Ace wrote:As if Megan and Cueball's walkabout wasn't enough, the deserted stretches of roads? I got on that thing are increasing the urge to go travelling again. For now, I'm happy enough to travel vicariously through the OTC.

Besides, I haven't travelled alone yet, and am not sure I want to. Forget safety, who am I going to gush with about seeing cool things?

?Yes, the roads. One image had snow and buildings, another had a lake, but it was the roads that called to me. I don't even know.

When you look down a road that bends in the distance, do you prefer one that bends to the left or to the right?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am UTC

Note for blitzers - this was originally posted on top of NP666, but was later pushed back by posts being deleted.

SPONTANEOUS METAL INTERLUDE!
Spoiler:
The Newpage of the Beast

Woe to you, O Thread of Time
For Lord Randall sends the newpix with wrath
Because he knows that Time is long.
Let him who doth wait for it
Reckon the newpage of the beast
For it is a human newpage
And its number is six hundred and sixty six.

I left alone, my mind was blank
I needed time to ketchup and rub the coma from my eyes
What did I see, could I believe
That what I saw that morn was real and not just fantasy?

Just what I saw, on that newpage
Were they reflections of these strange folk posting back at me?
'Cause in my dreams, it's always there
The One True Thread that drags me from the outside to its holy snare…

YEEEAAAHHHH!

The page was black, was no use holding back
'Cause I just had to see, had someone quoted me?
On the page dark figures rant and rage
Was all this for real, or just some kind of hell?

SIX! SIX SIX! The newpage of the beast!
Thread of Time was spawned to be released!

Torches blazed and sacred chants were praised
As they start to cry, hands held to the sky
"The river's small!" the leader starts to bawl
"The sea is big!" they cry, together in reply

Timewaiting is going on tonight!

The ritual carries on, the litany is done
Can this still be real or just some crazy dream?
And I feel drawn towards the hatted hordes
They seem to mesmerise, can't avoid their eyes

SIX! SIX SIX! The one for you and me!

I'm coming back, I will return!
And I will blitz again, the pages I will turn
I've been ensnared, by this thread's force
With semencancerbabies I will take my course!

Edit: Hail SatONG
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am UTC

Well done Mr. Biscuits! I can picture you hunched over your keyboard for the last hour newpix waiting for the exact instant to post. Hope you don't get pre-ninja'd by a new poster in the approval queue. Nice ONG too!

Other than that I have nothing to say other that it's coma time and I just want to leave my mark on this notable NP.

ETAFRAMEONG:
Edited to add frame with proper newpix timestamp.
Last edited by spamjam on Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”