1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Didn't work... boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada... either... yada

Try this one.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I wrote a song about frogs once...

See, it's all related.
Yay! A song! I love silly songs! But I can't find a way to download it. :( Is this 'Bloody Hell' album for download/sale somewhere?

Oh gosh, I just realised I never actually listened to the boom de yada recording because I was always in the wrong place on the wrong computer (but at the right Time) when I saw the link; where was that again?

Bloody Hell, it's Lederhosen Toaster! Album (Free download, I wouldn't expect anyone in their right mind to actually pay for this :P)
Boom de yada (but please enjoy responsibly. Look what happened to poor AluisioASG.)

Thanks! I'm rarely in my right mind when it comes to silly songs. And silly songs make up at least a third of my music library, so even if the left mind's right there's not much right mind left. I'm a little sad that the ID3 tags are not filled out, but I guess I can do that. Oooooh! There's even an Enormous [word censored until I reach a round number of posts] cover! flying [word censored until I reach a round number of posts]squees! I threw an enormous [word censored until I reach a round number of posts]-cover at Paul and Storm several years ago, which I like to believe is why they sang that song a couple of shows later. (HES, I like the Amateur Transplants too. Also, darnit, I'm only had a few VeggieTales songs and now I'm going to have to figure out how to get the rest.)

Dracomax wrote:o.O O.O O.o
Did you just… do a Mexican wave with your eyebrows?
Last edited by Angelastic on Mon May 20, 2013 3:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I wrote a song about frogs once...

See, it's all related.
Yay! A song! I love silly songs! But I can't find a way to download it. :( Is this 'Bloody Hell' album for download/sale somewhere?

Oh gosh, I just realised I never actually listened to the boom de yada recording because I was always in the wrong place on the wrong computer (but at the right Time) when I saw the link; where was that again?

Bloody Hell, it's Lederhosen Toaster! Album (Free download, I wouldn't expect anyone in their right mind to actually pay for this :P)
Boom de yada (but please enjoy responsibly. Look what happened to poor AluisioASG.)

Thanks! I'm rarely in my right mind when it comes to silly songs. And silly songs make up at least a third of my music library, so even if the left mind's right there's not much right mind left. I'm a little sad that the ID3 tags are not filled out, but I guess I can do that. Oooooh! There's even an Enormous [word censored until I reach a round number of posts] cover! flying [word censored until I reach a round number of posts]squees! I threw an enormous [word censored until I reach a round number of posts]-cover at Paul and Storm several years ago, which I like to believe is why they sang that song a couple of shows later. (HES, I like the Amateur Transplants too. Also, darnit, I'm only had a few VeggieTales songs and now I'm going to have to figure out how to get the rest.)

Ah bugger, you're right about the tags, I'll add them and upload a new version.

mathrec wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
mathrec wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Double dactyl:

OMR, what have you done? At least I feel less guilty about the sudoku now. but not repentant or reformed...

Timety Wimety
Wait with the OTT
hoping to see that Lord
Randall has penned

investigatory
perambulations that
lead us to somewhere that
feels like an end

FTFY (perambulation is only 5 syllables ;))

Thanks for pointing that out. I twerked it myself.

Well I went for "which" because I thought it didn't feel right with two consecutive lines ending in "that", but "lead us" is much better, good call.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Dracomax wrote:o.O O.O O.o
Did you just… do a Mexican wave with your eyebrows?

...Maybe? My eyebrows have been known to do these things before.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon May 20, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Ok, it is a campsite... ONG.

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon May 20, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:For jetpac

Spoiler:
jetpac-hat-s.png

jetpac.jpg

Buffy, I think this is your best hat yet! Very stylish.

DavidRa wrote:I played once or twice, kept digging around (going up and down roads and lanes) to find street signs, other features. The only one I got from my homeland (AU) was simple once I figured out there was a phone number on the adjacent building - closest effort "0.005km" (5 metres or 15 feet) from the "right" point. That's when I figured out I was too OCD to enjoy it.

Yeah, I lost my morning to this thing. I did complete it, with a score of 23679... but I don't think I'll be doing that again. My best was a distance of 7 meters, my worst was in Thailand -- it was just too difficult to type in the road signs.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

(because I don't have enough replies to warrant using the big KETCHUP TIME image)

@yappobiscuits - Randall saying "Bear with me"
@Ace - Geoguesser

Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:So last coma, in a small segment of my coma-vision, I saw Randall the Omniscient comment on the One True Comic saying something along the lines of "Bear with me on this one, it will all become clear"… So yeah, I must be some kinda holy prophet, and The Lord Randall came to me in a dream and now we know Time will end with some sort of punchline or conclusion. Yup.

Bear with me...

Ace wrote:
DavidRa wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Ahh, GeoGuessr... I always end up getting way too into it, and doing tons of detective work to find out EXACTLY where I am XD

I played once or twice, kept digging around (going up and down roads and lanes) to find street signs, other features. The only one I got from my homeland (AU) was simple once I figured out there was a phone number on the adjacent building - closest effort "0.005km" (5 metres or 15 feet) from the "right" point. That's when I figured out I was too OCD to enjoy it.

Heh, the only one I even got in the right country was an outback road up north - Aussie bush trees look distinctive, I thought... Next one was another rural road that was not Australia, as I guessed. I guess not as distinctive as I thought.

I didn't get anything within 3000 miles. However, I would have gotten one if I'd gone with my first guess: New York State, USA. But I saw the word "Alberta" (I think it was Alberta) on a sign, and thought "Canada". So I guessed Alberta, Canada. But then it turned out to be New York after all, and a place that I have been within a hundred miles of in real life! :roll:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:So last coma, in a small segment of my coma-vision, I saw Randall the Omniscient comment on the One True Comic saying something along the lines of "Bear with me on this one, it will all become clear"… So yeah, I must be some kinda holy prophet, and The Lord Randall came to me in a dream and now we know Time will end with some sort of punchline or conclusion. Yup.

Bear with me...

:O It truly is all related.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 20, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Quite a bit of ketchup and my first post which one might consider a blitz:

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
RobIrr wrote:
mathrec wrote:
I wrote:I was also confused, but it was by the "bacon" reference. Who puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient? I would have said hamburgers...

fhorn wrote:
RobIrr wrote:What do people call the slightly squashed spheres of bread that are traditionally choped in half horizontally so that bacon1 can be placed within?1 - other fillings are available

My father-in-law, when he lived in the UK, would talk about having "bacon butties" after church. Since I had never heard of butties, I thought he was saying bacon buddies, like a bunch of friends were getting together and having breakfast...

Following up on "bacon butty" opened me up to a world I had not seen before. Apparently most of the "English"-speaking world (outside of North America) puts bacon on a bun or roll as the primary ingredient.

Indeed. What else would you use it for?

First, I shall say my point about placing bacon on buns or any other bread products as the primary ingredient: why the confusion, even among my fellow North American devotees? Have we all not had BLTs in which bacon, I think we'd all agree, is the primary ingredient? I, for one, really enjoy a a good BLT from time to time.

I don't believe I have ever seen a BLT served on a bun or roll. In the US it is always on toasted sliced bread.

Wow, we get an education in international culture along with our general lunacy.

Oh no. A good BLT served on an onion roll is wonderful! Though yes, here in the States it is far more common to see BLTs on flat sliced loaf bread which has been toasted.

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
I love the lurkers, I love the ketchup posts
I love the regulars, and the sometimes cranky folks
I love the blitzers blindposting from the past.
Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yado, boom de yada

I love the craziness here in the OTT,
But it works be if we all agree to disagree.
All that's important is that we Wait for It,

Before leaving for my kayaking trip I stopped in and saw this post. I could not help myself from singing and humming this wonderful tune whilst kayaking. Before long, my wife was humming along, too.

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  1. Each poem is eight lines long.
  2. Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  3. The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily). Nerd translation: Information content should be at or near zero bits.
  4. The second line names the person or place to be commemorated.
  5. The fourth and eighth lines have a strong (masculine) rhyme; other lines need not rhyme.
  6. One line in the second half (usually the sixth line, but again not necessarily) must be a single six-syllable double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).
I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, here are a couple of examples that I hope will inspire more:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
        Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
        Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
        Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
        Molpy-height charts.

EDITED to add one omitted rule (5.) and clarify the others.

Brilliant! I shall have to give it a try once I muster up the courage.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River

The dauntless dame hadn't given me much to go on, but I knew it was time for a walk by a river. I'm not the type for nature walks, in fact I'm rather more partial to the kind where at least two people end up dead and justice is served as a nice appetizer. Little did I know that it was, in fact, one of those kinds of walks. Though maybe with a couple less deaths than usual, and a different kind of justice.

There I was, mindin' my own business by the side of the riverbank. Not a very big river, mind, more of a large stream. Hard to find spots like that in the big city, especially nowadays when the river has all manner of debris in it, not unlike my lungs after too many cigars to count. I was mulling over the case, or trying to anyway. My mind was wandering like a drunken souse in the small hours of the morning. All of the sudden, it hit me like a flash of lightning. An insight, and a 10-pound rock. When I came to, I was slouched on a bench with a bump the size of the hills on my noggin. Next to me was a note, in some near-unintelligible scrawl. I peered at it with squinted peepers, and made out:

Stay out of the river investigation, or the next thing to hit yer head will be a .38 caliber bullet.

That wasn't no coincidence right there. I felt for the pocket where I kept my trusty colt when I'm out and about. Much to my chagrin, my little lady was gone. A pang of sadness jolted through the fog of my awful headache, and hardened into firm resolve. I'd find the perp who did this, and make sure they learned what kind of justice I give to the guys who mess with my lady. And maybe figure somethin' out about this French chicken along the way. I needed some clues, and not ones tossed at my head from the streambed.

The capricious clientelle had mentioned another fellow, some jack who she'd been out on the beach with. A lover, if you asked me, but what did I know, he could be her brother. I needed to get the scoop on this guy if I was gonna get anywhere with this case. She'd given me her address, so I sauntered back to the office to lick my wounds and clean up a bit. When I got there, it was a sorry sight.

My ordinarily neat and tidy maple desk was taking a nap on its side, and its papery guts were spilled all over the floor. Shards of glass from the broken lamp were strewn across the floor alongside like bits of gravel in a river, and books on the shelf were all askew. I scanned the room, and sighed with relief. My guilty pleasure, an odd lil' book with the some nonsensical title, was still in its place. I halfheartedly straightened up a bit, then figured I could deal with the mess later. I left a note for my pretty little secretary, a ginger doll with a heart as fiery as her hair, telling her I was out and would deal with the mess later. Then I remembered she'd quit not 3 days before, and crumpled it up. My reverse psychology never worked on her, anyway.

I stopped in front of a window on the way out to straighten my hat in the reflection. The raindrops on the window twisted the view of the outside, but I saw a blue humdinger of a car sitting lazily on the other side of the street. I shrugged, spat on my hand, smoothed down my hair, winced a bit, and then left. Next stop, the client's place. And boy, at this point, I was really desperate to find something, or I wouldn't be able to afford the gumshoe business much longer.

To be continued, in Chapter 3 - The Break

Again, I whole-heartily believe that someone with greater skills than I should compile a OTT Literary page. Wonderful noir ChronosDragon. Hammett and Chandler would be proud.

Pikrass wrote:
Spoiler:
Ketchuped!

And introducing Multiquote v142315¹⁶.
With this script installed, the behaviour of the quote button changes. It now displays a text field right under the message you're replying to.
You just write your reply and hit "Save".
Do so with all the posts you want to reply to, and finally click on "PostReply" as usual. The text area will be filled with the quotes and your replies. :)

Even if you don't write a reply after clicking on "quote", the quote will be included in the message.
The quote cache will be flushed by clicking on Submit or Preview.

Installation instructions and links here.
There are still a lot of ways to improve it. I could automatically spoiler inner quotes, and prepare a ChronosDragon-style summary at the top with the name of quotees. Let me know if you have ideas. :)

15 the versions are numbered by the newpix I finished them in. That way I can say my scripts are waaaaay ahead of Chrome and Firefox versions!
16 starting at 16 to prevent future standard footnotes to overwrite these

Thank you Pikrass! I am thoroughly enjoying the wonderful enhancements you have made to an already wonderful and useful Artifact of Time. Once again you, as do many other, prove the presence of so much wonderful talent here in the OTT.

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Introducing...

The Newpix-O-Meter v2.0

Now with fancy pocketwatch graphics! And 16 subdivisions instead of outsider 12!

Very classy!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
pelrigg wrote:We need your answer in the form of a question, MegOng
O piffle

Okay, family life has led me to an unexpected post. First my 16-year-old daughter*, looking over all the double dactyls, said, "You started a meme. A Time meme." And I immediately thought, Timeme! We're creating Timemes!

Then my wife looked at this newpix and said, "Oh, a frog; good. If Megan had fallen down a rabbit hole, I'd have been pissed."

And I immediately thought,[spoiler]Megan fell down the ribbit-hole!
* Saying of my mother-in-law: "The only thing smarter than an 18-year-old boy is a 16-year-old girl."

Your whole family is TimeWaiters? That's beautiful. :D

Agreed! That is truly wonderful that you can share Time with your family. As the saying goes, "The family that waits together, waits for it." Or, I should think it goes something that like.

htom wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:A Molpy is a Frog!!!

I fear that the frog was to be some Molpy's lunch!

I imagine Molpy herons will eat small frograptors, just as regular herons will prey on frogs in the [heretical]Outside[/heretical] wild. I saw many herons whilst kayaking and wished very much to see a molpy heron again upon returning to the OTC.

Sciscitor wrote:
Spoiler:
Ok, this one may need some explanation, so here I go:

As some of you may be aware, I was a bit obsessed the last days with finding a good way to measure information content of individual posts. After some dead ends I finally came up with the following scheme to approximate originality and information content in the OTT.
I count the number of new words per post, and the number of new word sequences with a length of 2, 3, 4, and 5. Than I summarize those values but in doing so divide the number for the sequences by 2, 4, 8 and 16, to counter inflation. (This step btw is highly dubious in terms of information theory, but I couldn't come up with anything better... so sue me.) As a last step I multiply by 16 (just to get rid of the fractions).

The diagram below is the first result of these calculations. What is pretty amazing about it is the rise in original content. The graph starts with a peak, which is just to be expected: The first post naturally is all new content and so are the following ones. The metric quickly declines as most words and combinations thereof are already used. But then something amazing happens: The counts rise. And keep rising. And still do so. Which means that... Boy, aren't we a creative bunch!

Ok it's coma time here, but I've got a few new and novel ideas for combining this data with other things (eras come to mind, but also user rankings, new users by time, information by post length and so on)

Brilliant! Now we have a quantitative, objective measurement of the creativity amongst the devote who post in the OTT. Regardless of whatever dubious analytical information theory tricks you may think you have used, good sir, this is wonderful!

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
For jetpac

jetpac-hat-s.png

jetpac.jpg

Congrats Jetpac, on your wonderful new hat! I will never forget receiving my hat.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:

Edit: no, I'm not gonna build this. (But knowing the OTT, someone might...)

*sigh* I would, if only I had the skills.

edit: corrected some spelling errors
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 20, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I...

Wanted to showcase how
M-S-C-H-A has
Taken this poetry
    Up as his norm.

Fifteen great works of art
Through which he showed us that
doublydactylies
    Took us by storm.

Number of DD's written by our fora family:
15 -mscha
6 - ggh
6 - jjjdavidson
6 - Valarya
5 - ucim
3 - AnotherKevin
3 - yappobiscuits
3 - xpatiate
2 - Rule110
2 - Smithers

And the following members contributed to these awesome past 12 Newpages with 1 apiece:
Spoiler:
azule
DrSamCarter
Ebonite
eoink
ergman
Fhorn
Hal9000
llmjb
mathrec
mikrit
Platonix
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

RAWR!!! I HAVE AWOKEN FROM MY COMA!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 20, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Ok some new things after playing with my new data metric.
First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
Spoiler:
  1. StratPlayer (245560)
  2. mscha (228643)
  3. KarMann (201089)
  4. BlitzGirl (197785)
  5. Latent22 (164517)
  6. ChronosDragon (153380)
  7. azule (148029)
  8. jjjdavidson (146183)
  9. buffygirl (139604)
  10. cmyk (119804)
  11. Angelastic (111639)
  12. HAL9000 (110780)
  13. PhoenixRising (105748)
  14. pelrigg (104180)
  15. Vytron (98907)
  16. htom (97998)
  17. higgs-boson (96243)
  18. lmjb1964 (93734)
  19. Smithers (92535)
  20. Dracomax (91625)
  21. Exodies (86538)
  22. ucim (83622)
  23. Kieryn (82419)
  24. kryton (82217)
  25. SBN (81210)
  26. Sciscitor (78628)
  27. Valarya (77360)
  28. mojacardave (74857)
  29. Helper (72489)
  30. udscbt (65000)
  31. Caswallon (63034)
  32. vvn (58375)
  33. partingLance (55677)
  34. k.bookbinder (55327)
  35. SWuh (52760)
  36. Opiboble (49628)
  37. macraw83 (48323)
  38. jovialbard (47729)
  39. AluisioASG (45989)
  40. manvandmaan (43832)
  41. ggh (41197)
  42. blowfishhootie (40241)
  43. chem1190c (38077)
  44. AionArap (36893)
  45. peewee_RotA (36582)
  46. descor (35755)
  47. Eternal Density (35119)
  48. yappobiscuits (34358)
  49. Purplepants77 (33512)
  50. histrion (33014)
  51. Incognito357 (32913)
  52. edo (32653)
  53. Eliram (31917)
  54. TheMulattoMaker (31914)
  55. fhorn (31712)
  56. slinches (30435)
  57. swey (29277)
  58. Mr Moriaty (28987)
  59. Rule110 (28921)
  60. SPACKlick (28748)
  61. Ebonite (28717)
  62. mathrec (28591)
  63. RobIrr (27826)
  64. mittfh (27212)
  65. Jonas79 (26281)
  66. NoMouse (26093)
  67. tman2nd (25657)
  68. HES (25205)
  69. Whizbang (24939)
  70. diego5wh (24655)
  71. elementropy (24618)
  72. CatHectic (24245)
  73. Davidy (24083)
  74. ttscp (23884)
  75. edfel (23685)
  76. bigcrag92 (23589)
  77. Beatrice The Golden (23348)
  78. Pikrass (23315)
  79. bouer (23049)
  80. Elmach (22693)
  81. Eutychus (21585)
  82. VoronX (21311)
  83. NoEdge (20748)
  84. Goggalor (20317)
  85. Montov (20212)
  86. orthogon (19819)
  87. Roia (19736)
  88. silent_death (19683)
  89. patzer (19353)
  90. pdg (19299)
  91. Asthanius (19251)
  92. xspeedballx (18934)
  93. Wraithlord (18820)
  94. airdrik (18702)
  95. riverssong (18636)
  96. sparehead3 (18474)
  97. Jafloi (18466)
  98. Mycroft_147 (18274)
  99. Ayriannah (18229)
  100. Flado (17540)

Second, here is an updated graph (up to post 26439 of the still rising creative flood in the OTT which seems to rival the rising sea of the OTC.
Spoiler:
Postingdata.png
Creativity on the OTT

Third: lmjb1964 you may want to fix your post #3305897, the tags are seriously broken (I think the first color tag needs to be closed).

1 Not Kevin.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

NONGRADED...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Miscellaneous Ketchuping Regurgitation of Antique Posts (KRAP) I:

fhorn and blitzers and my own ketchupping:
Spoiler:
fhorn wrote:Does the OTT even have Blitzers anymore??

I usually get stuck in the Outside during the weekends and then do a ketchup on Monday, so I guess I qualify as a semi-regular mini-blitzer. But I almost decided to NOT make a ketchup post today and just get current in silence. My ketchup posts are the ones that are, by far, the least likely to be commented on, so the effort may not be worth it. I'll ALWAYS read the whole OTT that I've missed, but maybe that's enough... We'll see...

manvandmaan's sneeze:
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:*sneeze*
Shit.
Ah well...

Wow, I'd have thought that a sneeze strong enough to lead to forum defecation would have been commented on more. Hopefully you were able to clean everything up ok.

Ebonite, when the ST:NG came:
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:This is starting to remind me of that ST:TNG episode where an entire planet spoke only in historical allusions used as metaphors for current events. In a hundred NP or so, you and Opiboble and SBN will be able to carry on entire OTT conversations just with footnote markings.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra!
Cueball and Megan at the river.
jjjdavidson and Ebonite when the standards came. :D

Ok, this cracked me up! Nicely done.

lmjb1964's boom-de-yada:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:I love the lurkers, I love the ketchup posts
I love the regulars, and the sometimes cranky folks
I love the blitzers blindposting from the past.

I love the craziness here in the OTT,
But it works be if we all agree to disagree.
All that's important is that we Wait for It,

Great additional verses! And I love -- and echo -- the sentiments!!! :D

Latent22's cat pic:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:One thing to note is that if they were originally near a river mouth and the river flow was high enough then the semenatedcoffeecancerbabies would indeed be 'fresher'. But maybe they would have noticed the torrent coming down the river...

Also here is a Cat photo I took today. Totally not time related but its a cute cat. And who doesn't love a cute cat!
Ninja.jpg
Whoa! That's a flying ninja cat! Pretty awesome!

jjjdavidson's double-dactyl fun:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:A while back I asked if anyone was compiling a list of neologisms from the OTT. I probably should have mentioned I had a specific purpose─I'm hoping to find that we've accidentally created some double-dactyl words.

Double dactyl: (1) A line of verse consisting of two dactyl feet, with a rhythm of DUM-da-da-DUM-da-da; (2) A six-syllable word with accent (if any) on the first and fourth syllable (such as intraabdominal or sesquipedalian); (3) A comic verse form in double-dactyl meter.

It's type (2) I'm hoping to find. Why? To use in type (3), which is harder to describe than to understand by example.

A double dactyl poem intends to commemorate someone (or someplace) in comic verse. It has rather peculiar rules:
  1. Each poem is eight lines long.
  2. Each line is double dactyl meter, except for the fourth and eighth which are two beats short (DUM-da-da-DUM).
  3. The first line is nonsense (traditionally "Higgledy piggledy," though not necessarily). Nerd translation: Information content should be at or near zero bits.
  4. The second line names the person or place to be commemorated.
  5. The fourth and eighth lines have a strong (masculine) rhyme; other lines need not rhyme.
  6. One line in the second half (usually the sixth line, but again not necessarily) must be a single six-syllable double-dactyl word (which may be hyphenated if you're desperate).
I figure that given the development of the OTT, it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying on standard English. (Though if anyone wants to use ailurophilia for, say, Latent22, that would be fine.) But I haven't been able to find any genuine occurrences, so far, just near misses like Buffydashery. So I'm having to make up my own. But that's what we've been doing all along, isn't it?

Anyway, here are a couple of examples that I hope will inspire more:

Strummity hummity─
    StratPlayer awesomeness
    Bursts from each parody,
    Pastiche, and verse;
    Such fine examples of
    Ninjaspeedblitzfilking
    ─Wish we could rent Albert
    Hall and rehearse.

Momity, molpity,
    BlitzGirl the versatile
    Dazzles with lyrics, phi-
    Losophy, arts,
    Commonsense peacemaking,
    Humor, and even some
    Centicuemeasuring
    Molpy-height charts.

EDITED to add one omitted rule (5.) and clarify the others.

Too cool!!! And thanks for the awesome commemoration in your first one! I'm humbled. So...

Rhyme-o-run, sun-o-gun!
j-j-j dav-id-son!
Seems to me, that I see,
Something that's fun!

So to run and try one;
Dactylrhymination!
It may be, insanity,
but... least it's done.

...and dang! -- I'm still 12 newpages back! This is getting kind of long, so in the interest of readability, I'll post this now, and then add another one as I get closer to current...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

I was feeling a little perplexed
What to post instead of plain text?
I've done Double D
And a song parody
So a limerick seemed to be next!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I was feeling a little perplexed
I've done Double D
And a song parody

This is acceptable.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon May 20, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Halfway caught up from the weekend (I need to start working 7 day weeks just to keep up with the OTT - too many things around the house to occupy me at home...) A few quick comments before I resume my mini-blitz...

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>
Ah, it's that Time--just 6 users on the OTT. Must mean it's time for me to coma.

Edited to say--just 5 users now. I think that's the lowest I've ever seen. And soon it will be four...

My prediction: if the board ever drops to 0 users online, the OTC will come to an end. This MUST NOT happen!

htom wrote:<snip>
As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.
<snip>

I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THIS PLACE! Let me know if this ever happens :D
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I was feeling a little perplexed
I've done Double D
And a song parody

There once was a poster named Ebonite
who's limerick has just one oversight
It's written all purty,
but just isn't dirty;
It needs "boobies" or "penis" to look right.

OK... back to mini-blitzing...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 530 of 667
Searching for a Fjord Ford, NP1092

Read a few quick NewPages before lunch.

Recent topics of discourse:
End-of-OTC theories (when they find the ford Chevy by the levee, when finally nobody expects the end to be nigh, never...)
To spoiler ketchup posts or not to spoiler ketchup posts (or to spoiler individual quotes in ketchup posts), that is the question

Individually spoilered random responses:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
akacat wrote:
mscha wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:IIRC, the End of Time was predicted 5 times so far...

- "Later" - "Bye" frame
- Age of slow pixel
- "We can't build it much taller" frame
- "bye." and fading
- Brief camera angle change

So, are we going to speculate about the ending for the 6th time? :D

Obviously. What else are we here for? ;)

Nobody really seems to believe that Time is about to End, this time. And that's what worries me: every time we do think it's going to end, it doesn't...

So, we just need to make sure at least one person is always worried that it's about to End, and that'll keep it from Ending. Right? Right?

Right! Because when you least expect it, that's when it'll happen. So we should always inspect our expectations to accept that the unexpected should not be an exception to our expected unexpectedness, except when it's accepted for inspection of our expectations, don't you think?
This reminds me of the RT Short, Scissors

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Post -coma mayo¹:

StratPlayer wrote:So I think our 'camera' has now pointed from all 4 cardinal points.

I don't think so.
Assuming that the geography is basically rectangular and that we haven't been “cheated” by a curve or turn that wasn't shown to us, and supposing the sea is to the east, we've had the following camera directions:
  • Looking north (sea on the right): all of the Sandcastle Era; plus the scene where they sat down while walking along the sea
  • Looking west (sea behind us): the first part of the walk, along the sea; plus the scenes at the river while standing still, sitting, or messing around.
  • Looking south (sea on the left, river behind (or under) us): walking along the river.
We haven't looked east, toward the sea, yet.

<unrelated content snipped>
I could have sworn that there was one point during The Great Hike along the Seasea where they came to a rest, taunting the loopists with its similarity to the first 20 or so newpix, and the camera rotated around behind them, pointing at the sea. But I haven't the Time to verify this, during my ketchup Blitz.

seaWhich is big
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

htom

Postby htom » Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.
<snip>

There is something about homemade breads, plain or fancy, a complexity of flavor and texture, that's rarely in commercial bakery products. They are like craft beers. Not by bread alone ... but I didn't eat much else that day.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:And the following members contributed to these awesome past 12 Newpages with 1 apiece:
[ spoiler]...mathrec[ /spoiler]

OK. Spoilered. Sheesh. Give me a moment.

Higgledy piggledy
Waiters of time can be
playful creatively.
Stay on your toes!

Our forum is notably
ultraharmonious.
Keep it all courteous.
Anything goes!

Arrgghh! I'm too late. Now we're doing limericks.

This forum has maddening ways
That keep me exhausted for days
Time waiters challenge me
To show off creatively
For off-handed nuggets of praise
Last edited by mathrec on Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

htom wrote:
Febrion wrote:
<snip>

There is something about homemade breads, plain or fancy, a complexity of flavor and texture, that's rarely in commercial bakery products. They are like craft beers. Not by bread alone ... but I didn't eat much else that day.

You would have to have a good selection of cheese and some cured meats as well. Not for making sandwiches but more to have on small slices of toasted bread.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 20, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

htom wrote:

yum
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2009/05/12/roasted-red-pepper-fougasse
Attachments
cover-roasted-red-ppr-fougasse.jpg
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Go-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

This was not ready for my ketchup blitz posted earlier. I have decided to give this a try, though, it holds not a candle to mscha's wonderful Double D's (I am not too bad at double entendres, though). I fear that this shall not be very good :oops: But here we go *clears throat*

Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

:oops:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
htom wrote:

yum
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2009/05/12/roasted-red-pepper-fougasse

I think we should do a kickstarter and start up a chain of bread bars. We will do everything dread and OTC related!!! :D

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon May 20, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:I think we should do a kickstarter and start up a chain of bread bars. We will do everything dread and OTC related!!! :D

Free bread with every dread purchase. Hurry on in, people are starting to feel better!
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

Not because I expect to die anytime soon, but because I am beginning to assemble an inkling of a hint of a trace of a suspicion of a doubt that the comic will not end for decades.

Now that I have planted this seed in your mind, tell me...do you have Chronothanatophobia? At what point(s) would you consider the scales to tip tremendously?

A) If the comic continues after a full year?
B) If our heroes discover why the sea is rising, perhaps even fix the problem, and the comic still continues?
C) Is there anything else you can think of that would suggest that this comic will not end?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok some new things after playing with my new data metric.
Second, here is an updated graph (up to post 26439 of the still rising creative flood in the OTT which seems to rival the rising sea of the OTC.
Spoiler:
Postingdata.png

Do you have that in a spreadsheet? There's what looks like an interesting inverse correlation between number of posts and information content.

Sciscitor wrote:First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
Spoiler:
  1. StratPlayer (245560)
  2. mscha (228643)
  3. KarMann (201089)
  4. BlitzGirl (197785)
  5. Latent22 (164517)
  6. ChronosDragon (153380)
  7. azule (148029)
  8. jjjdavidson (146183)
  9. buffygirl (139604)
  10. cmyk (119804)
  11. Angelastic (111639)
  12. HAL9000 (110780)
  13. PhoenixRising (105748)
  14. pelrigg (104180)
  15. Vytron (98907)
  16. htom (97998)
  17. higgs-boson (96243)
  18. lmjb1964 (93734)
  19. Smithers (92535)
  20. Dracomax (91625)
  21. Exodies (86538)
  22. ucim (83622)
  23. Kieryn (82419)
  24. kryton (82217)
  25. SBN (81210)
  26. Sciscitor (78628)
  27. Valarya (77360)
  28. mojacardave (74857)
  29. Helper (72489)
  30. udscbt (65000)
  31. Caswallon (63034)
  32. vvn (58375)
  33. partingLance (55677)
  34. k.bookbinder (55327)
  35. SWuh (52760)
  36. Opiboble (49628)
  37. macraw83 (48323)
  38. jovialbard (47729)
  39. AluisioASG (45989)
  40. manvandmaan (43832)
  41. ggh (41197)
  42. blowfishhootie (40241)
  43. chem1190c (38077)
  44. AionArap (36893)
  45. peewee_RotA (36582)
  46. descor (35755)
  47. Eternal Density (35119)
  48. yappobiscuits (34358)
  49. Purplepants77 (33512)
  50. histrion (33014)
  51. Incognito357 (32913)
  52. edo (32653)
  53. Eliram (31917)
  54. TheMulattoMaker (31914)
  55. fhorn (31712)
  56. slinches (30435)
  57. swey (29277)
  58. Mr Moriaty (28987)
  59. Rule110 (28921)
  60. SPACKlick (28748)
  61. Ebonite (28717)
  62. mathrec (28591)
  63. RobIrr (27826)
  64. mittfh (27212)
  65. Jonas79 (26281)
  66. NoMouse (26093)
  67. tman2nd (25657)
  68. HES (25205)
  69. Whizbang (24939)
  70. diego5wh (24655)
  71. elementropy (24618)
  72. CatHectic (24245)
  73. Davidy (24083)
  74. ttscp (23884)
  75. edfel (23685)
  76. bigcrag92 (23589)
  77. Beatrice The Golden (23348)
  78. Pikrass (23315)
  79. bouer (23049)
  80. Elmach (22693)
  81. Eutychus (21585)
  82. VoronX (21311)
  83. NoEdge (20748)
  84. Goggalor (20317)
  85. Montov (20212)
  86. orthogon (19819)
  87. Roia (19736)
  88. silent_death (19683)
  89. patzer (19353)
  90. pdg (19299)
  91. Asthanius (19251)
  92. xspeedballx (18934)
  93. Wraithlord (18820)
  94. airdrik (18702)
  95. riverssong (18636)
  96. sparehead3 (18474)
  97. Jafloi (18466)
  98. Mycroft_147 (18274)
  99. Ayriannah (18229)
  100. Flado (17540)

1 Not Kevin.

Woo! I made the top 100!

Edit: added vertical space for clarity
Edit 2: clarified the first edit.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think we should do a kickstarter and start up a chain of bread bars. We will do everything dread and OTC related!!! :D

Free bread with every dread purchase. Hurry on in, people are starting to feel better!

Dang it! I need to go back to coma apparently.

Someguy945 wrote:I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

Not because I expect to die anytime soon, but because I am beginning to assemble an inkling of a hint of a trace of a suspicion of a doubt that the comic will not end for decades.

Now that I have planted this seed in your mind, tell me...do you have Chronothanatophobia? At what point(s) would you consider the scales to tip tremendously?

B) If our heroes discover why the sea is rising, perhaps even fix the problem, and the comic still continues?
C) Is there anything else you can think of that would suggest that this comic will not end?

Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:I think I am developing Chronothanatophobia - the fear of dying before the end of Time.

C.1) The fact that Randall Munroe, a sort of mad genius, is writing it?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:

C.1) The fact that Randall Munroe, a sort of mad genius, is writing it?

Is he really Mad? Wouldn't calling him mad be close to heresy?
“have i gone mad?

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

(first panel)

Sorry :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Yeah I have Chronothanatophobia big time! :/ need immortality meds.

(first panel)

All that means is that Science needs to perfect Cryogenics sometime in the next 80 years, and then we can wait for that immortality drug.
“have i gone mad?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I don't have Chronothanatophobia.

I'm convinced the OTC is a story told by a man who has shown himself a master storyteller or a puzzle created by a man who has shown himself a master puzzler. I realize this is a matter of belief, although I can't for the life of me figure out which church canon it belongs to.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

(first panel)

I don't know, they are experimenting with a protein on mice & rats right now that reverses aging of heart muscle. It is something our bodies produce naturally but it slowly produces less and less causing our hearts to get older. So we might not see immortality within 80 years, but we can see drugs that greatly increase the average lifespan, which would put the discovery of immortality within reach of an individual born today.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:

Spoiler:

I don't have Chronothanatophobia.

I'm convinced the OTC is a story told by a man who has shown himself a master storyteller or a puzzle created by a man who has shown himself a master puzzler. I realize this is a matter of belief, although I can't for the life of me figure out which church canon it belongs to.

Our churches use Trebuchet, not can(n)ons.
“have i gone mad?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ttscp wrote:Our churches use Trebuchet, not can(n)ons.

LOL. Oh yes. Sorry. Can I have some chocolate now? How about the comfy chair or foam maiden?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm convinced the OTC is a story told by a man who has shown himself a master storyteller or a puzzle created by a man who has shown himself a master puzzler. I realize this is a matter of belief, although I can't for the life of me figure out which church canon it belongs to.
Although not canon1, it is a belief held by the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction.

1The only canon is the Word of the OTA: Wait For It

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
ttscp wrote:Our churches use Trebuchet, not can(n)ons.

LOL. Oh yes. Sorry. Can I have some chocolate now? How about the comfy chair or foam maiden?

How about some Skittles?

No? Okay :oops:

ETA: Vatican Milliner's Aspiring Inquisitor
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

Miscellaneous Ketchuping Regurgitation of Antique Posts (KRAP) II:

ChronosDragon's ongoing noir:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Chapter 1 - The Case
Chapter 2 - The River

<snip>

Awesome! This is so much fun to read!! I'm really enjoying it -- well done.

Exodies and a jury reference:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
ergman wrote:As long as people are talking about otherothercomics, I may as well share my list:
Buni- dark, textless humor: http://www.bunicomic.com/
Sandra and Woo- a modern Calvin and Hobbes, though for a bit of an older age group: http://www.sandraandwoo.com/
Brawl in the family- it's about super smash bros. duh: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/
And if you're really bored, you can check out my old, dead, vulgar comic, monochrome rainbow: http://monobow.thecomicseries.com/comics/random
Just for the sake of irrelevancy

The Buni man says he was on jury duty recently. One of our members was also too dumb to have an excusecivic minded enough to be on a jury. Are they related? I think we should be told.

I think that was me, maybe. Served on an attempted murder case in [Outsiderish] April [/Outsiderish]. Not exactly sure how it's related, but I'm pretty sure...

*nods head knowingly*

...it's ALL related. :wink:

Sciscitor and dactyl factyls:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I liked the double dactyls. My favourite double dactyl is siamese pterosaur.

Fun fact: dactyl means the same in both cases: finger.
For the meter: One heavy, two light syllable. Just look at your index finger and you know why the meter is called dactyl.
For the flying thing: Exactly that: Flightfinger, because the fingers support the wings.

Interesting to learn! I know the syllables were correct in the double-dactyl I threw together in my earlier KRAP-I post, but the accents might be off. So now, if anyone calls me on it, I'll just flip them my finger...

mscha's jjjdavidson dactylification:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Jaypety daypety
jjjdavidson
He is a loopist by
choice and belief.
He set a challenge for
us in the forum but
double a dactyl is
hard to achieve.

(Yikes, this is so much
harder than writing haiku.
I think I'll give up.)

I liked your double dactly! And to all the other dactylizing in the OTT, too! And I also used jjjdavidson in my first attempt right after reading his first post. I probably would have changed it if I'd read on to this point (and your earlier comment about it also), but what the heck -- I've humbly and gladly concede your firstness, and simply attribute my redundant redundancy of redundantly re-using "jjjdavidson" as a redundant form of great minds thinking alike and all that.

Oh, and doubly redundant, I redundantly wanted to doubly say that I doubly liked your double dactyl, too!

Angelastic and Star Wars:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:You know, I've actually never seen Star Wars. I know. Burn me at the stake.

It's okay! Neither have I. And I admitted it while trapped on a ship full of geeks, and they didn't kill me. Timewaiters will probably be nice to us too.

It's OK. It's not like never seeing the LOTR movies or something really good... the Star Wars films are very entertaining, but for every cool thing in the films, you have to put up with a cheesy thing, too (the Ewoks or Jar-Jar Binks anyone?).

Vyton's new "image":
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:Beware: heresy below.

descor wrote:Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

Well, that's a relief! :mrgreen:

This text is unrelated to the heretical comic3.

3Which doesn't exist.

...and once again, all I see is "image" -- I'll have to wait until later, but I'm eager to see it! Vytron, your last one was awesome!

f0rmicUla's awesome FirstPost thrown ahead:
Spoiler:
f0rmicUla wrote:
Ace wrote:
ucim wrote:@Ace, and any other new posters Welcome!

Ooh, a personalised welcome! I've been lurking so long (practically since the OTC started - I came to see what the deal was with two stick figures on a beach) that I felt a bit weird about delurking, but I'm feeling better about it now.

I'm a Since-the-beginning-of-Time lurker, too. I've been enjoying XKCD for years, but I rarely went to the forums/fora and didn't feel the need to sign up.
But now, after reading 600ish NPs and feeling encouraged by ucim I just have to take my imaginary hat off to you all. All this creativity and madness, the haikus, poems, hats, velocirhapsodies, charts, maps, and whatnot really give me the feeling that mankind is not all screwed up. This may sound a bit elevated but I mean it. As someone said before, this (the OTT, of course) must be the most civilised place in the internets. To me it is for sure, and the funniest and most interesting place, too.
Time dwellers, blitzers, and condimenters:Thank you!

f0rmi

Wow -- what a great FirstPost! Thanks and you're right -- the OTT is a special place. Chaos and creativity and an awesome group of co-Waiters to spend one's Time with. I'm truly humbled and honored to be in the presence of this fine group of fellow humans.

...and KRAP-II is getting long, so I'll post this and move on to a KRAP-III...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”