1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:Yeah, I meant data in a readable file, but since I was thinking of importing it into a spreadsheet and looking at it there I said spreadsheet. Any reasonable format (xml, csv, tab) in a text file will work fine. Easiest would be csv. I haven't worked with json, and I don't have time to learn, so that's not a good idea. If you have to go through relational hoops to get the data out, it's not worth it.

Here you (and anyone else who is interested) go!

Now it's time for coma.

ETA: UTF-8, Unix lineendings.
Last edited by Sciscitor on Mon May 20, 2013 7:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 20, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Sciscitor's OTACS:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:Ok some new things after playing with my new data metric.
First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
1. StratPlayer (245560)
<snip>

:shock: Huh? Say wha???
Just exactly how many ways did you have to parse "bupkis" to give me that high of an OTACS???

...and now I'm caught up to KRAP-I. I'll deal with post-KRAP crap separately...

Well, I've shifted my focus from pure information content to creativity. And by eyeballing the results it fits rather well. You did a lot of creative work with your song lyrics after all.
On the other hand, inventing new words is some form of creativity and even the nonsense contraptions contain information, they are not completely random! They convey emotions, feelings, a mood. And they encode some rather complex concepts. Just take "molpy": Now for the waiters it means minor changes in pixels between frames unrelated to Cugan or the sea, probably caused by little earth dwelling creatures, not flying ones, with humorous undertones when enhanced. It's the same with a lot of other words even those in the first line of the D-Dactyls. You don't get any score by repeating words, doubles, triples etc., but new links count towards the score. My generated link lists as such on the other hand don't, as this information was already there in the OTC. They do enhance the score, because of their compilation, which has it's own informational value, but in a minor way (that's because of the division by 2, 4, 8, and finally 16) of sequences.
I am not sure if I can explain this in any satisfying way. (Disclosure: I never had any formal training either in information theory or computational sciences, so whatever I wrote here my be utter bullshit.)

I don't really understand what your OTACS measures, exactly. It's some sort of metric that's bigger based on the number of different words a person uses across all of his/her posts?

Will a person with 500 posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person with 250 posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower? (For example, if I post this same thing twice so I introduce no new words, how does that affect my OTACS?)

Will a person who posts 1000-word posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person who posts the name number of times, but only posts 500-word posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower?

Will a posting just a picture (with no words) affect your OTACS score?

Does quoting other people affect my OTACS score? I would hope not, because If I include lengthy quotes from other people, I'm not being particularly creative, I'm simply exploiting their creativity.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:Ratify smatify
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

ed in an attempt to improve stuff

Woohoo! I guess I'll have to sig this new title then...

But, I'm rather attached to my otter for now. Plus, I'd have to order a whole new hat from buffygirl, and I'm rather fond of my current one!

StratPlayer wrote:But, on a side note -- if that bug comes back, I wonder how Cueball will scare it away? Probably by saying...

Spoiler:
Boo, bee!

Ah, a very amusing joke, I found it rather...
Spoiler:
Titillating!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
ttscp wrote:Yeah, I meant data in a readable file, but since I was thinking of importing it into a spreadsheet and looking at it there I said spreadsheet. Any reasonable format (xml, csv, tab) in a text file will work fine. Easiest would be csv. I haven't worked with json, and I don't have time to learn, so that's not a good idea. If you have to go through relational hoops to get the data out, it's not worth it.

Here you (and anyone else who is interested) go!

Now it's time for coma.

ETA: UTF-8, Unix lineendings.

Thanks. I'll see what I can come up with.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

But, I'm rather attached to my otter for now. Plus, I'd have to order a whole new hat from buffygirl, and I'm rather fond of my current one!

StratPlayer wrote:But, on a side note -- if that bug comes back, I wonder how Cueball will scare it away? Probably by saying...

Spoiler:
Boo, bee!

Spoiler:
Titillating!

No, please don't change your otter, he's a cutie. I was so pleased that the Latin name for 'otter' fit the meter, and then I had to make up something to complete the damn poem.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

Spoiler:
Boo, bee!

Spoiler:
Titillating!

I found that joke rather abreast with the previous.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 20, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

a derpy animated dong, with two easter eggs in it. GOTTA FIND EM ALL!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon May 20, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Very nice! I haven't looked at it frame-by-frame, but I think I see both a molpy and a booby (the fire pit looks suspiciously like a nipple)!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Spoilered for large image
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:Image

Are we starting a gong Olympics now? The final torchbearer into the stadium gets to hit the gong?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
  1. I don't really understand what your OTACS measures, exactly. It's some sort of metric that's bigger based on the number of different words a person uses across all of his/her posts?
  2. Will a person with 500 posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person with 250 posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower? (For example, if I post this same thing twice so I introduce no new words, how does that affect my OTACS?)
  3. Will a person who posts 1000-word posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person who posts the name number of times, but only posts 500-word posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower?
  4. Will a posting just a picture (with no words) affect your OTACS score?
  5. Does quoting other people affect my OTACS score? I would hope not, because If I include lengthy quotes from other people, I'm not being particularly creative, I'm simply exploiting their creativity.

Ok, just some very quick answers:
  1. Yes on a very basic level. The score depends additionally on the use of these words in the OTT up to this post and how they are arranged.
  2. It will typically be higher, but not necessarily so, depending on the variance in the person's posts relative to the OTT. Posting exactly the same thing twice would add 0 to the score, regardless if the person has posted it before or someone else.
  3. Again, it will typically be higher but not necessarily so, depending on the wording, originality and variance of the content.
  4. The picture itself will not affect the score (I only compute words and am not aware of any sound way to measure information content of visual or aural data). The link to the picture or any description of it however will increase it (typically by 1).
  5. No, quotes are completely neglected. Even if they would be processed it would change nothing, as those content wouldn't be new in any way (see #2).
Hope this helps.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

The beacons! The beacons of newpix are lit!

The OTT calls for aid!

And I see at least one molpy in there...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:I don't really understand what your OTACS measures, exactly. It's some sort of metric that's bigger based on the number of different words a person uses across all of his/her posts?

Just so the thought doesn't get lost in the details of Sciscitor's last post, what he's trying to measure is the new information/creativity added to the OTT by each post.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

I'm ketchuping from page 655, but I just saw that buffygirl PM'd me an amazing hat-atar! *swoons* I love it! Working in the OTS (have we used One True Sandcastle yet?) was an especially nice touch.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 20, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
ergman wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Very nice! I haven't looked at it frame-by-frame, but I think I see both a molpy and a booby (the fire pit looks suspiciously like a nipple)!

well, I can't unsee that burning breast now. but that was not the second easteregg. its pretty obscure, but I have faith someone will find it. (or not)

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Edit to add: ergman, nice gif. Molpy, of course. The Wingdings: NC(s|w|l)oix... couldn't figure it out.

Sciscitor wrote:Disclosure: I never had any formal training either in information theory or computational sciences, so whatever I wrote here may be utter bullshit.

That's just another way of saying that you're telling a story. "Pretending" with details.
Last edited by azule on Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

Boo, bee!

Titillating!

No, please don't change your otter, he's a cutie. I was so pleased that the Latin name for 'otter' fit the meter, and then I had to make up something to complete the damn poem.

Nah, I love my otter :D. And I seem to remember we established a while back that my otter was probably a she... but yes, it's a good thing it's a sea otter (Enhydra Lutris) too, if I'd gone for, say, the European otter (Lutra Lutra) you couldn't have worked that in there...

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Molpily campfirey
Needle pulled lunacy
M S C H A is
Pronounced Mscha

Producing Poetry
Doubledactylily
Each picture's archivist
Nexpixbot's pa

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Yappo-B is confirmed
Unholy anti-pope
Six sixty six

Mayhaps his avatar
Enhydra lutris will
morph to a Corvus soon
Clickety clicks

Boo, bee!

Titillating!

Nah, I love my otter :D. And I seem to remember we established a while back that my otter was probably a she... but yes, it's a good thing it's a sea otter (Enhydra Lutris) too, if I'd gone for, say, the European otter (Lutra Lutra) you couldn't have worked that in there...

Yeah, girl otter, I remember the discussion about kinky otter sex and you getting drowned...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Yup. It was rather harrowing.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Yup. It was rather harrowing.

But then again I think you might be dead since you are pope of the 666...

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:Edit to add: ergman, nice gif. Molpy, of course. The Wingdings: NC(s|w|l)oix... couldn't figure it out.

Given that three or four of the letters are right, I'm going to guess that it probably says "Newpix".
Edit: Have now checked against http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html and it does indeed say Newpix.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

I'm undead and I don't know it 0.o ...I think I need to lie down...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 535 of 669
Searching for a Fjord, NP 1099

Random PastPost responses:

Quick thought about current OTC goings-on:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
spamjam wrote:
mscha wrote:Animation of the last three frames:
It's not zoom, but I don't know what it could be.

Looks like it's zooming out. Maybe we'll see other rivers and stuff.

But that doesn't work with the shape of the landscape. The hills in the second frame are higher than in the first frame, for instance.

Angelastic wrote:
mscha wrote:It's not zoom, but I don't know what it could be.

I don't understand what the sea is doing.

And I don't understand what the landscape is doing. ;)

BlitzGirl wrote:Perhaps the camera is doing a slow swivel?

Yes, that was my first thought too, a newpix ago. But I don't really get a swivel “feel” from this animation.
I feel like it is blatantly obvious that it is showing essentially a cross section of the scene, that is changing as they keep walking into the screen, a sentiment I have already seen myself ninja'd a few times, first by this:
katakombe wrote:
Angelastic wrote:In summary: Yes, it's a brilliant puzzle! Given that I completely misinterpreted it several times even upon seeing the solution, I'm glad I cheated or I would have been nerdsniped to the end of Time.

that sentence had me laughing loud enough to wake my baby.

mscha wrote: It's not zoom, but I don't know what it could be.

we see them from behind, and if you look closely at your animation you will notice they are walking away from us. i think this IS a delta and the arms are moving closer together as they walk upstream.

btw: finally caught up after constantly being 5-15 pages behind after blitzgirl sped up the needle-pulled thing with her rapid arrival.

I have found more posts introducing the tools that I've grown accustomed to recently:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:So they have a home! Or is it the sandcastle? Maybe it has enough depth to live in?

On a side note, I made some Time-related work. After the newpix convertor, I created the spoiler detector: whenever someone links the dynamic time.png image instead of the static hashed one, the script will spoiler it away. It can be useful for blitzers.

The scripts are now maintained in a real Github repo : https://github.com/Pikrass/timescripts. The installation instructions are in the README. Feel free to open issues for bugs and suggestions, or even fork it and make pull requests.
My next script will allow you to quote multiple people without any copy-pasting. This one will take a little more Time to write, but it doesn't matter, we have plenty.

OH NO, OTC SUDOKU:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:A present to slow you down so I can ketchup. No more posting until you solve it!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:
azule wrote:Edit to add: ergman, nice gif. Molpy, of course. The Wingdings: NC(s|w|l)oix... couldn't figure it out.

Given that three or four of the letters are right, I'm going to guess that it probably says "Newpix".
Edit: Have now checked against http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html and it does indeed say Newpix.

you did it!
have some sorbet:
Spoiler:
I figured I'd do something different

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

up go-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

I hope you guys aren't mad, I was saving these until the next part of the story was released. Thank you all (to those who commented) and hopefully to others (who did not comment) as well.

yappobiscuits wrote:That was brilliant, azule! I imagined it taking place in a dark, steampunky workshop... this sort of thing :D
That feeling works. Your imagination is the only confirmation you need to enjoy the story. :)

Exodies wrote:Bravo!

This got me thinking, Cueball and Megan could build stuff with only a dot matrix printer.
An inkist, I see. I guess that would be their version of a 3D printer.

mscha wrote:Wow, newpixbot has hidden depth that even I wasn't aware of... Eagerly awaiting the next episode.
newpixbot has much more depth than the images he retrieves. ;) (Sorry.)

htom wrote:I want more of the adventures of NewPixBot.
One more on its way.

StratPlayer wrote:Wonderful! I can't wait to see what happens next. But, of course, I must. So I shall...
I'm glad to see I've had the correct temporal effect. Also, an alternative title could be: "NewPixBot: The Story of Waiting", which is a double entendre. 8-)

yappobiscuits wrote:And well done azule for another wonderful chapter!
Hehe, you again. *teases because he can*

Again, thanks for the feedback, all. And to reiterate, this was made (not necessarily written) to coincide with the first post by newpixbot a month mip ago.

To note a few things: the story is somewhat factual; interestingly newpixbot did say "campong" on his second post...and then later we find it might have been a camp! (Ignore that campong != camp-ong.)

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Here take this *holds out bowl of strange colored round objects*

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
Smithers wrote:

you did it!
have some sorbet:
Spoiler:
I figured I'd do something different

Ahh......I should have guessed too! I thought it was a wingding to rot(n+1)13...damn, Occam's Razor, I would have loved that heavenly desert! :(

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Oooh, M&Ms, delicious!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Oooh, M&Ms, delicious!

Nope, M&S's, we had surplus skittles and they got mixed up in the storage room :/

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Ebonite wrote:I don't really understand what your OTACS measures, exactly. It's some sort of metric that's bigger based on the number of different words a person uses across all of his/her posts?

Just so the thought doesn't get lost in the details of Sciscitor's last post, what he's trying to measure is the new information/creativity added to the OTT by each post.

Oh, I think I got the intent. I was just trying to understand a little about the methodology.

I could write a rather lengthy paragraph here in which I talk about Cueball, and sandcastles, and Ikea, and the molpy, and pixels, and the pluralization of the word "Lego", and double-dactyl poetry, and different kinds of sandwiches, and flags, and hourglasses, and Time, and hats, and. . .blah blah, blah. (Presume I kept going for a while.)

Or I could write one sentence such as:

"The inconsistencies are so compounded as to form a seemingly illogical phenomenon, the nature of which I am unable to fathom."

I would hope that the first paragraph, though lengthy, would not contribute much to my OTACS because it would consist of words that I likely used in previous posts. I would hope that the standalone sentence, though shorter, would contribute more greatly, since it includes at least seven or eight words that I probably haven't used before in the OTT.

Am I getting it right?

The reason I though this to be important is because I think a short post consisting of nothing but a new double-dactyl would be considered very "creative" by definition. . .but if it's a topical double-dactyl (i.e., it's about the OTC), it may not include any new words. So it would be a massively creative posting that contributes extremely little to the author's OTACS.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>
(my wild ass-guess),
<snip>

Was this a reference to xkcd 37?
Spoiler:

Also, I was just gonna post about it saying 'newpix' on the gong but after refreshing the page saw that Smithers had done so about twenty minutes ago. Baaw. I love sorbet.

Edit: fixed quotee
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Mon May 20, 2013 11:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
ucim actually wrote:<snip>
(my wild ass-guess),
<snip>

Now, would I do a thing like that? :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Baaw. I love sorbet.

I know your feel. I think we have just found the new OTD of the OTT.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:
(my wild ass-guess),
<snip>

Jose

Yes. Yes you would. And yeah. I called you on it. :p

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:
(my wild ass-guess),
<snip>

Jose

I was hoping that it was, but it might have just been an everything-is-connected kind of typo.

azule wrote:

Sorbet definitely has my vote as new OTD of the OTT.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 20, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
ttscp wrote:

Oh, I think I got the intent. I was just trying to understand a little about the methodology.

I could write a rather lengthy paragraph here in which I talk about Cueball, and sandcastles, and Ikea, and the molpy, and pixels, and the pluralization of the word "Lego", and double-dactyl poetry, and different kinds of sandwiches, and flags, and hourglasses, and Time, and hats, and. . .blah blah, blah. (Presume I kept going for a while.)

Or I could write one sentence such as:

"The inconsistencies are so compounded as to form a seemingly illogical phenomenon, the nature of which I am unable to fathom."

I would hope that the first paragraph, though lengthy, would not contribute much to my OTACS because it would consist of words that I likely used in previous posts. I would hope that the standalone sentence, though shorter, would contribute more greatly, since it includes at least seven or eight words that I probably haven't used before in the OTT.

Am I getting it right?

The reason I though this to be important is because I think a short post consisting of nothing but a new double-dactyl would be considered very "creative" by definition. . .but if it's a topical double-dactyl (i.e., it's about the OTC), it may not include any new words. So it would be a massively creative posting that contributes extremely little to the author's OTACS.

I think you have it right, with one correction, the first paragraph contributes little to your OTACS because it consists of words used in all previous posts, not just your posts, and one addition, it is not only words but word sequences (two words, three words, four words, ...), that he compares so that even if "double dactyl" has been used before, the phrase "dactyl double" will count, albeit not quite as much as a new word.

All subject to Sciscitor's corrections, but for that you'll have to wait until he arises from coma.

Your critique is entirely accurate, however. Measuring creativity is extremely difficult and (in my opinion not necessarily Sciscitor's) involves all of our thought processes up to and including consciousness.

Edit 1: clarified sentence with double dactyl / dactyl double
Edit 2: noted Edit 1
Last edited by ttscp on Mon May 20, 2013 9:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 20, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I was wondering just how big is this thead? A quick calculation:
Spoiler:
I fed the (HTML) source of NP666 into gedit and had it count words. (Using the source ensured that all the spoilers would be counted). It does seem to count each tag as a word, even if they are all run together, and the statistics of that page are:

173900 bytes
392 lines
28048 "words"
173731 characters (with spaces)
155238 characters (no spaces)
------ therefore...
18493 spaces

I picked out the member info for one (arbitrary) post, with the following results:
1839 bytes
41 lines
302 words
1839 characters (with spaces)
1637 characters (no spaces)

There are 40 per page, so multplying the above by 40 and subtracting it from what's above the above yields

192 lines of content
15968 words of content
100171 characters of content (with spaces)
89758 characters of content (no spaces)
------ therefore...
10413 spaces

Taking the number of spaces as the number of actual words (not including HTML tags), there are ten thousand actual words of content per page. If two thirds of those words are just quotes (my wild ass-guess), that's over three thousand words of original content per page.

There are over 666 pages to date. Multplying that out yields well over two million words of original content.

When Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind, she only wrote 423,575 words.

Wimp!

Jose

Ugh. And what a terrible story that turned out to be. Yes, indeed, we have far more literary merit than, Gone With the Wind, in my opinion. Certainly, it must be agreed our collective efforts are far more interesting.

Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:This was not ready for my ketchup blitz posted earlier. I have decided to give this a try, though I fear that this shall not be very good :oops: But here we go *clears throat*
Spoiler:
Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

:oops:

Bravo sir bookbinder!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! :oops: :D
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
ucim wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:
(my wild ass-guess),
<snip>

Jose

I was hoping that it was, but it might have just been an everything-is-connected kind of typo.

Did you work out why the "I" in that sentence was highlighted yet?

dreiarmumig wrote:
azule wrote:

Looks like I'm going to have to share the sorbet then. azule definitely deserves some for doing most of the work.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon May 20, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:
azule wrote:

Nooo! CUPCAKES! Cupcakes are better. :evil: Wait. Why can't we just have both?! :idea: :mrgreen:

The following cupcakes all have sorbet icing, sorbet stuffing, or sorbet topping:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”