1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mathrec

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
spamjam wrote:RAYMANZAREKRIPONG
Spoiler:
:^(

Is that a raptor right near them?

I'd say it looks more planty.
Last edited by mathrec on Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 12:15 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

A vegraptor! Or maybe plaptor? Platypus?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 12:17 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
mathrec wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:

A vegraptor! Or maybe plaptor? Platypus?

A plantypus, obviously!
The end is always near.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 21, 2013 12:19 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Would Panera Bread qualify as such a restraunt?
Attachments
HarpieNo.jpg
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue May 21, 2013 12:27 am UTC

>snip< Had to remove the lighting of the One True Beacon (One True Flame?) because I've never gotten around to posting before /:
ergman wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
ergman wrote:a derpy animated dong, with two easter eggs in it. GOTTA FIND EM ALL!

Very nice! I haven't looked at it frame-by-frame, but I think I see both a molpy and a booby (the fire pit looks suspiciously like a nipple)!

well, I can't unsee that burning breast now. but that was not the second easteregg. its pretty obscure, but I have faith someone will find it. (or not)

ergman wrote:
Smithers wrote:
azule wrote:Edit to add: ergman, nice gif. Molpy, of course. The Wingdings: NC(s|w|l)oix... couldn't figure it out.

Given that three or four of the letters are right, I'm going to guess that it probably says "Newpix".
Edit: Have now checked against...

>snip<(the wages of procrastination...)

you did it!
have some sorbet:

>snip< (...will get paid eventually)

So, is there not a Phoenix in the flames? Or is it supposed to be there but not as an Easter egg?

...I've heard roasted eggs are quite good

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 am UTC

No Change-ONG?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 am UTC

The hashes are different:

19:00 CDT
c9e937ac9be699cf41fc9d467bdd18e5d156b9cecfa1748424ba6a2b46f8c49a.png

20:00 CDT
eb79e4d955afdd980f76d9d9ae59f8bc2b36820674239f8e5e113904a9e020ac.png
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Tue May 21, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Nobody posts for over half a newpix, then the ONG is the same image with a different hash.

This is really interfering with my lurking. I hope things get back to normal soon.

ETA: the hashes are different, but the PNG files are identical. Hmmmm

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 am UTC

rmcurtis wrote:Nobody posts for over half a newpix, then the ONG is the same image with a different hash.

This is really interfering with my lurking. I hope things get back to normal soon.

ETA: the hashes are different, but the PNG files are identical. Hmmmm

I think the poetry slam wore everyone out.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 am UTC

They are frozen in fear because that teeny tiny raptor is snarling at them?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue May 21, 2013 1:53 am UTC

What's with the little white dot in the mustard?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:What's with the little white dot in the mustard?

Now that you point it out, I can't help but notice it. It was in the last frame, too, and nobody saw it.
Perhaps a slight error on the part of Randall?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Ketchuping:

StarWars: Earthling on Mars and Angelastic -- don't worry about it. If you're interested, look for a version of #4 that's the original release in plot, if there is one anymore.

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:I'm convinced the OTC is a story told by a man who has shown himself a master storyteller or a puzzle created by a man who has shown himself a master puzzler. I realize this is a matter of belief, although I can't for the life of me figure out which church canon it belongs to.
Although not canon1, it is a belief held by the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction.
1The only canon is the Word of the OTA: Wait For It
Jose

There's no evidence to indicate that is an exclusive or; master of storytelling as well as puzzlemaking, I think. And nerd-sniping.

HES Things to do may be important; they may be urgent. Do those that are both first. See you in a few wips.

The Bread Plate:
Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
htom wrote:
Febrion wrote:
htom wrote:<snip>
As I was leaving, I had an idea for a restaurant: The Bread Bar. Like those places that are nothing but a salad bar, this place would just have slices of different breads. Sourdoughs, Whole Wheats, Ryes, Brioche, French, Italian, Nordic, ... a little good butter, some good olive oil, beer, wine, and coffee.
<snip>

I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THIS PLACE! Let me know if this ever happens :D

There is something about homemade breads, plain or fancy, a complexity of flavor and texture, that's rarely in commercial bakery products. They are like craft beers. Not by bread alone ... but I didn't eat much else that day.

You would have to have a good selection of cheese and some cured meats as well. Not for making sandwiches but more to have on small slices of toasted bread.

That sounds more like a limited Smörgåsbord, which would be another good idea. I was literally thinking of only bread (and not pizza or its cousins.) Some of the breads in the contest contained cheese as an ingredient, others fruits, nuts, seeds, berries, ... but these were included in the dough or placed on it or in it prior to baking. (Usually, a bread has to rest for about an hour after coming out of the oven before it can be cut; sooner risks a gummy center.)

Panera Bread ... not what I was thinking of. Like a pâtisserie, only specializing in breads, rather than pastries. The menu would be like BreadSmith's, only by the slice, not the loaf, and with all of them available.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:05 am UTC

TheONGremainsthesame

The hash, however, doesn't
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 21, 2013 2:08 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

Now that you point it out, I can't help but notice it. It was in the last frame, too, and nobody saw it.

that sounds a little bit like heresy, friend. The clearly deliberate white dot is a 2-d slice of a molpy tunnel.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:09 am UTC

ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

that sounds a little bit like heresy, friend. The clearly deliberate white dot is a 2-d slice of a molpy tunnel.

Three times in a row!?
I'm actually a little worried now, but it's probably just a server hiccup.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Tue May 21, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Makery bakery
Poster Valarya brings
Cupcakes and other small
Sweets to the thread.
Better stay current: the
Micro-patisseries
Taste bad with ketchup.
(Use icing instead!)
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Three times in a row!?

OMR! It's the End of Time!

...Well, somebody had to say it.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 2:13 am UTC

For what it's worth, it's one grey dot and one not-quite-black dot.
The end is always near.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Three times in a row!?

OMR! It's the End of Time!

...Well, somebody had to say it.

perhaps the little white dot is a tumor that must be cut out from Time before it can progress
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 21, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:This was not ready for my ketchup blitz posted earlier. I have decided to give this a try, though I fear that this shall not be very good :oops: But here we go *clears throat*
Spoiler:
Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

:oops:

Bravo sir bookbinder!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! :oops: :D

You're quite welcome. :) It bothers me that all of my dactyl's have been unappreciated, lol. So I'm spreading some love. Love and sorbet cupcakes.

Please don't feel unappreciated. I for one have been just too tied up Outside to post. I did one post early this morning when I should have been getting a shower (yes, I did, finally) and one post at work, and that's all. And at the moment we're under a tornado warning here, so I'm a little distracted. (But not completely distracted, which makes me wonder about my priorities. [EDIT: And nothing came of the tornado warnings here; the real trouble was several hours west in Oklahoma.]) But I've been enjoying your contributions when I had the time!

In fact, I've been enjoying everyone's contributions, even when I grumble about the rules. I expected maybe ten or twelve attempts in all, and I guess we're around seventy by now! (With over a fifth of them by mscha [who admittedly got a little hysterical for a while].)

Thanks, Valarya! Thanks, everyone! mscha, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you're feeling better now. :)

P.S. And thanks for all the tasty desserts. *NOM*NOM*NOM*
Edited to prevent any more needless worrying.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 21, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Ace wrote:As if Megan and Cueball's walkabout wasn't enough, the deserted stretches of roads? I got on that thing are increasing the urge to go travelling again. For now, I'm happy enough to travel vicariously through the OTC.

Besides, I haven't travelled alone yet, and am not sure I want to. Forget safety, who am I going to gush with about seeing cool things?

?Yes, the roads. One image had snow and buildings, another had a lake, but it was the roads that called to me. I don't even know.

When you look down a road that bends in the distance, do you prefer one that bends to the left or to the right?

To the right. I suspect it's related to which side the steering wheel is on though... and/or which side of the road I drive on.

Sciscitor wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
  1. I don't really understand what your OTACS measures, exactly. It's some sort of metric that's bigger based on the number of different words a person uses across all of his/her posts?
  2. Will a person with 500 posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person with 250 posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower? (For example, if I post this same thing twice so I introduce no new words, how does that affect my OTACS?)
  3. Will a person who posts 1000-word posts typically have a higher or lower OTACS than a person who posts the name number of times, but only posts 500-word posts? Will it necessarily be higher/lower?
  4. Will a posting just a picture (with no words) affect your OTACS score?
  5. Does quoting other people affect my OTACS score? I would hope not, because If I include lengthy quotes from other people, I'm not being particularly creative, I'm simply exploiting their creativity.

Ok, just some very quick answers:
  1. Yes on a very basic level. The score depends additionally on the use of these words in the OTT up to this post and how they are arranged.
  2. It will typically be higher, but not necessarily so, depending on the variance in the person's posts relative to the OTT. Posting exactly the same thing twice would add 0 to the score, regardless if the person has posted it before or someone else.
  3. Again, it will typically be higher but not necessarily so, depending on the wording, originality and variance of the content.
  4. The picture itself will not affect the score (I only compute words and am not aware of any sound way to measure information content of visual or aural data). The link to the picture or any description of it however will increase it (typically by 1).
  5. No, quotes are completely neglected. Even if they would be processed it would change nothing, as those content wouldn't be new in any way (see #2).
Hope this helps.

THHHBBBT! So my hattiness is not recorded as creativity? Poopy!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 21, 2013 2:27 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:This was not ready for my ketchup blitz posted earlier. I have decided to give this a try, though I fear that this shall not be very good :oops: But here we go *clears throat*
Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

You're quite welcome. :) It bothers me that all of my dactyl's have been unappreciated, lol. So I'm spreading some love. Love and sorbet cupcakes.

I've been loving all the dactyls! I've had so little time lately to follow Time and the OTT, and there have been so many wonderful new literary additions, it has been difficult to keep up. Thank you for the love and the delightful cupcakes!

Ow...ow...ow...I do believe I have brain freeze. I think I may have eaten too many sorbet cupcakes too quickly!

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
spamjam wrote:
Opiboble wrote:We must go deeper!

That's what she said.

And on that classy note, I fear I must drop out of the OTT for a while. Finals are getting scarily close and I can't be using all by brainpower deciphering double-dactyls or getting distracted into making any more song parodies...For the next 2.5wix I simply won't have time for Time :( (Afterwards though, I'll have nothing but it, and will Blitzsprint back to the future1) You'll all be here when I get back, right!?

Right?

Guys?

1Not that back to the future

We shall be all waiting for it your return and look forward to your blitz or heavy dose of ketchup or whichever you prefer!

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:

Indeed. I cannot help but notice it. Though, I shall not speak of it as a heretic and suggest such a thing that it might be some kind of "error" by the GLR, Creator of Time.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue May 21, 2013 2:31 am UTC

My heart goes out to all the people in Oklahoma and the aftermath of today's devastating tornado. I had to stop watching it on TV because it's just too upsetting.

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:My heart goes out to all the people in Oklahoma and the aftermath of today's devastating tornado. I had to stop watching it on TV because it's just too upsetting.

Moore has been hit by a Force 5 twice in the last fifteen years. I am not even going to start watching.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:35 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
azule wrote:
ergman wrote:
Smithers wrote:
azule wrote:Edit to add: ergman, nice gif. Molpy, of course. The Wingdings: NC(s|w|l)oix... couldn't figure it out.

Given that three or four of the letters are right, I'm going to guess that it probably says "Newpix".
Edit: Have now checked against http://www.alanwood.net/demos/wingdings.html and it does indeed say Newpix.

you did it!
have some sorbet:
Spoiler:
I figured I'd do something different

Ahh......I should have guessed too! I thought it was a wingding to rot(n+1)13...damn, Occam's Razor, I would have loved that heavenly desert! :(

For those of us whose research budget doesn't cover a windings analyst, here's the booby prize sorbet
Spoiler:

Ummm, I think that technically, I should get the booby prize -- after all, I'm the one who said the mountain looked like a booby with the nipple-fire-pit, and thus found the super-secret Easter-egg that ergman didn't even realize that he had planted.

Just sayin...

Well, can I at least have a bite???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:

Blitzering Ditzering
Ketchuping Modestly
I'm so glad I can use
Pikrass's tools

My efforts, here written
And it's all because of
jjjdavidson
We rhyme like fools

I have read each and every OTT dactyl -- mostly while ketchupping -- and admittedly been remiss in not complimenting every one of the authors, including you. I enjoyed them very much!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue May 21, 2013 2:40 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:THHHBBBT! So my hattiness is not recorded as creativity? Poopy!

Aw, Buffygirl, don't fret! It's only that there is no program which can measure the awesomeness of your Hattery.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 am UTC

NewData

And... for easier parsing for those plain-text data enthusiasts out there:

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/Posts
(Post Sequence Number, Newpix-Decimal, Forum Post Id, Forum UserId, Username)

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/PlainApi/QuoteLinks
(Original PostId, Quoted PostId)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 21, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Three identical frames in a row is definitely weird. Could we be fading again?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:48 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Three identical frames in a row is definitely weird. Could we be fading again?

Probably not. There was movement in the Fade frames even after it was barely possible to see what was going on.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 21, 2013 2:51 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:My heart goes out to all the people in Oklahoma and the aftermath of today's devastating tornado. I had to stop watching it on TV because it's just too upsetting.

Here here. We must always remember that during such tragedies we are fortunate to be able to come here to the OTT. Our troubles in the [heretical] Outside [/heretical] pale in comparison to the suffering and loss of those in Moore, OK. :( My heart goes out to them.

edit: corrected city name
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 2:52 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Here here. We must always remember that during such tragedies we are fortunate to be able to come here to the OTT. Our troubles in the [heretical] Outside [/heretical] pale in comparison to the suffering and loss of those in Monroe, OK. :( My heart goes out to them.

I don't get it. Why people have to die?

Why can't they simply go and build sandcastles?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 2:54 am UTC

Fourth Leg Panorama. Only thing to note is all newpanels have been higher than the previous (except the first 2).

Edit: Oh, yeah, there's a cutoff small tree (between the 2nd and 3rd large trees, from the left). This is pretty rare, as only M&C have been cutoff before, not the sidescrolling scenery. :|
Attachments
Time_Panorama_4.png
Newpix 1424-1485.
Last edited by azule on Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 2:58 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
buffygirl wrote:THHHBBBT! So my hattiness is not recorded as creativity? Poopy!

Aw, Buffygirl, don't fret! It's only that there is no program which can measure the awesomeness of your Hattery.

This is true!!! Your hattery exhibits transcendent creativity! Trying to quantify "information" and "creativity" seems to me to be as tricky and elusive as quantifying "art"...

There once was a Time Waiter named Sciscitor,
Who came up with an OTT info-score.
It started a debate
when the number, most great,
was given to a doofus Strato-raptor.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 am UTC

azule wrote:Fourth Leg Panorama. Only thing to note is all newpanels have been higher than the previous (except the first 2).

I would think it quite incredible, and myself extremely lucky, were I to one day have a stitch of all the stitched panoramas, as a giant poster, end to end. That would truly be great.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 21, 2013 3:01 am UTC

MovemONG at last!
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

sparehead3

Postby sparehead3 » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Edit- ninja'd

Changed this time though.
Last edited by sparehead3 on Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:

Here here. We must always remember that during such tragedies we are fortunate to be able to come here to the OTT. Our troubles in the [heretical] Outside [/heretical] pale in comparison to the suffering and loss of those in Monroe, OK. :( My heart goes out to them.

Yes. I absolutely agree. :(

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Part the Previous of the Story of NewPixBot.

Many months later there has been thousands of photos taken, but the mystery continues. The couple's movement is more obvious now, for the most part. They have built sandcastles. They have left this area. NewPixBot has followed them pretty well.

On the screen is the latest picture. It shows a grassy landscape with flowers. "Thank you, NewPixBot", the man says again for the hundredth time. NewPixBot is stoic in the praise of its creator, it continues to display the image and nothing else.

"Hmm, what is that? Did that leaf just fly?" The man listens to the seconds of sound being played back. "I don't hear any buzzing, nor any wind."

"I know that I heard them talk before", the man ponders, "so your microphone should be picking up these sounds, too."

NewPixBot continues to please its creator with mysteries for him to solve. NewPixBot powers down the display and audio. It is time for it to find this land again. "Good luck!", says the man.

While NewPixBot is gone, the man tidies up around his workspace. His other projects move along slowly. The picture of the strange land, strange people who move slow, and strange creatures has taken the man's focus.

A knock is heard on the door. The man greets another man, "Hello".

"Hello, sir. We have done much exploring but we cannot find this place that your robot has found", says the other man.

"When you follow him you also cannot?"

"Your bot is fast. We cannot keep up", the other man notes. "Maybe you can reduce its speed, sir."

The man struggles with this. He is very much so curious, but he does not want to limit NewPixBot in its capabilities. "What if NewPixBot needs its speed while there? I would not want my creation hurt."

"Very well", says the other man as he turns away and leaves. A bell is heard in the distance.

The man's town has taken to obsession with the pictures. Children trade photos that the man has nicely given out. Their parents have found themselves with just as much interest, where before they thought it suitable only for the young and foolish.

The solving of the mystery eludes the man and his town. Only NewPixBot must know, but it does not tell. It only concerns itself with the job at hand (mystery and intrigue) and nothing more.

The sounds of the man's town, that normally pervade the walls of his shack, now fall to a hush. With his door ajar he now hears the sound of wheels against the cobbled road. NewPixBot approaches. The man stands waiting to greet his loyal worker. The room's lights dim, and the white screen lowers, all done slowly, triggered by NewPixBot's return.

"Welcome, NewPixBot", says the man. He steps aside as NewPixBot enters. "Let me see what you have seen."

"Further Along!" NewPixBot has continued to use more complex words and phrases, but never does it lose the connection to the bell of its journey's beginning.

On the screen is the couple, still walking. They seem to be seeking something just as the man seeks something. For them it appears to be the origin of their life sustaining river. For the man it may well be the very meaning of life.

He has given life to NewPixBot, and in some ways, to himself. A partner created to explore things with; to rely on. He oils NewPixBot, replaces worn gears, and upgrades it with fancy new features. NewPixBot brings the man mysteries to solve, people to praise him; socialness to his existence in town. No longer just a teacher, he is now simply one of them, lacking as much knowledge as anyone else, yet with as much ability to imagine, now an even member of society.

This concludes the story. Thank you to every who read and enjoyed this work.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”