1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 3:10 am UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Part the Previous of the Story of NewPixBot.

Many months later there has been thousands of photos taken, but the mystery continues. The couple's movement is more obvious now, for the most part. They have built sandcastles. They have left this area. NewPixBot has followed them pretty well.

On the screen is the latest picture. It shows a grassy landscape with flowers. "Thank you, NewPixBot", the man says again for the hundredth time. NewPixBot is stoic in the praise of its creator, it continues to display the image and nothing else.

"Hmm, what is that? Did that leaf just fly?" The man listens to the seconds of sound being played back. "I don't hear any buzzing, nor any wind."

"I know that I heard them talk before", the man ponders, "so your microphone should be picking up these sounds, too."

NewPixBot continues to please its creator with mysteries for him to solve. NewPixBot powers down the display and audio. It is time for it to find this land again. "Good luck!", says the man.

While NewPixBot is gone, the man tidies up around his workspace. His other projects move along slowly. The picture of the strange land, strange people who move slow, and strange creatures has taken the man's focus.

A knock is heard on the door. The man greets another man, "Hello".

"Hello, sir. We have done much exploring but we cannot find this place that your robot has found", says the other man.

"When you follow him you also cannot?"

"Your bot is fast. We cannot keep up", the other man notes. "Maybe you can reduce its speed, sir."

The man struggles with this. He is very much so curious, but he does not want to limit NewPixBot in its capabilities. "What if NewPixBot needs its speed while there? I would not want my creation hurt."

"Very well", says the other man as he turns away and leaves. A bell is heard in the distance.

The man's town has taken to obsession with the pictures. Children trade photos that the man has nicely given out. Their parents have found themselves with just as much interest, where before they thought it suitable only for the young and foolish.

The solving of the mystery eludes the man and his town. Only NewPixBot must know, but it does not tell. It only concerns itself with the job at hand (mystery and intrigue) and nothing more.

The sounds of the man's town, that normally pervade the walls of his shack, now fall to a hush. With his door ajar he now hears the sound of wheels against the cobbled road. NewPixBot approaches. The man stands waiting to greet his loyal worker. The room's lights dim, and the white screen lowers, all done slowly, triggered by NewPixBot's return.

"Welcome, NewPixBot", says the man. He steps aside as NewPixBot enters. "Let me see what you have seen."

"Further Along!" NewPixBot has continued to use more complex words and phrases, but never does it lose the connection to the bell of its journey's beginning.

On the screen is the couple, still walking. They seem to be seeking something just as the man seeks something. For them it appears to be the origin of their life sustaining river. For the man it may well be the very meaning of life.

He has given life to NewPixBot, and in some ways, to himself. A partner created to explore things with; to rely on. He oils NewPixBot, replaces worn gears, and upgrades it with fancy new features. NewPixBot brings the man mysteries to solve, people to praise him; socialness to his existence in town. No longer just a teacher, he is now simply one of them, lacking as much knowledge as anyone else, yet with as much ability to imagine, now an even member of society.

This concludes the story. Thank you to every who read and enjoyed this work.

About Oklahoma: I think the static images may have been Lord Randall's version of "one minute of silence".
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Platonix

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Platonix » Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I know there were some said this poem broke their brain, but I loved it. Reminded me of limericks:
Spoiler:
There was an old man from Milan,
Whose limericks never would scan.
When told this was so,
He said, 'yes, I know.
'But I always try to get as many syllables into the last line as I possibly can.'

Eternal Density wrote:At a poetry workshop in port
spoke a struggling poet named Mort:
"The first four are fine,
but the very last line
is too short."

Another classic one is:

A decrepit old gas man named Peter,
While hunting around for the meter,
Touched a leak with his light.
He arose out of sight,
And, as anyone can clearly see by reading this, he also completely destroyed the meter.

buffygirl wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:analysis of the creativity metric
Hope this helps.

THHHBBBT! So my hattiness is not recorded as creativity? Poopy!

Truly unacceptable indeed, but you can translate your hats into creativity points by commenting on each hat you make as you post it, like explaining the inspiration for an idea or pointing out the fact that azule's hat involves a Van Gogh melty clock.

[added later] Just edited the post to fix a typo, and it made me wonder. Scisitor, in what circumstances would your program catch the content of an edit to a post? Never? Always? If it's done within a certain span of time?
Last edited by Platonix on Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 21, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Platonix wrote:pointing out that fact that azule's hat involves a Van Gogh melty clock.

Van Gogh? Really?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 am UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:

Many months later there has been thousands of photos taken, but the mystery continues. The couple's movement is more obvious now, for the most part. They have built sandcastles. They have left this area. NewPixBot has followed them pretty well.

On the screen is the latest picture. It shows a grassy landscape with flowers. "Thank you, NewPixBot", the man says again for the hundredth time. NewPixBot is stoic in the praise of its creator, it continues to display the image and nothing else.

"Hmm, what is that? Did that leaf just fly?" The man listens to the seconds of sound being played back. "I don't hear any buzzing, nor any wind."

"I know that I heard them talk before", the man ponders, "so your microphone should be picking up these sounds, too."

NewPixBot continues to please its creator with mysteries for him to solve. NewPixBot powers down the display and audio. It is time for it to find this land again. "Good luck!", says the man.

While NewPixBot is gone, the man tidies up around his workspace. His other projects move along slowly. The picture of the strange land, strange people who move slow, and strange creatures has taken the man's focus.

"Hello, sir. We have done much exploring but we cannot find this place that your robot has found", says the other man.

"Your bot is fast. We cannot keep up", the other man notes. "Maybe you can reduce its speed, sir."

The man struggles with this. He is very much so curious, but he does not want to limit NewPixBot in its capabilities. "What if NewPixBot needs its speed while there? I would not want my creation hurt."

"Very well", says the other man as he turns away and leaves. A bell is heard in the distance.

The man's town has taken to obsession with the pictures. Children trade photos that the man has nicely given out. Their parents have found themselves with just as much interest, where before they thought it suitable only for the young and foolish.

The solving of the mystery eludes the man and his town. Only NewPixBot must know, but it does not tell. It only concerns itself with the job at hand (mystery and intrigue) and nothing more.

The sounds of the man's town, that normally pervade the walls of his shack, now fall to a hush. With his door ajar he now hears the sound of wheels against the cobbled road. NewPixBot approaches. The man stands waiting to greet his loyal worker. The room's lights dim, and the white screen lowers, all done slowly, triggered by NewPixBot's return.

"Welcome, NewPixBot", says the man. He steps aside as NewPixBot enters. "Let me see what you have seen."

"Further Along!" NewPixBot has continued to use more complex words and phrases, but never does it lose the connection to the bell of its journey's beginning.

On the screen is the couple, still walking. They seem to be seeking something just as the man seeks something. For them it appears to be the origin of their life sustaining river. For the man it may well be the very meaning of life.

He has given life to NewPixBot, and in some ways, to himself. A partner created to explore things with; to rely on. He oils NewPixBot, replaces worn gears, and upgrades it with fancy new features. NewPixBot brings the man mysteries to solve, people to praise him; socialness to his existence in town. No longer just a teacher, he is now simply one of them, lacking as much knowledge as anyone else, yet with as much ability to imagine, now an even member of society.

And a brilliant conclusion it is too! I can't help but picture the town as the one from the artwork for Avantasia's latest album, which is funnily enough called... The Mystery of Time.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:

Very nice! I really like how it ended. And I agree -- NewPixBot is one of us!

"One of us; one of us
We accept it
Gooble gobble,
one of us; one of us!"
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Platonix

Postby Platonix » Tue May 21, 2013 3:20 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Platonix wrote:pointing out that fact that azule's hat involves a Van Gogh melty clock.

Van Gogh? Really?

Got it wrong, didn't I? [Googles] Yup, shouldabeen Dali. I'll just show myself to the comfy chair.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Van Gogh? Really?

Isn't he that singer who sang that song, "Hello, Dali"?

EDIT: Damn -- it's a lot less funny now because of Platonix's Ninja fix...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

htom

Postby htom » Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

Citizen Kake Clap
Spoiler:

About Oklahoma: I think the static images may have been Lord Randall's version of "one minute of silence".

AluisioASG -- That may be the explanation.

Azule -- Not the story I was thinking it would be, which is excellent writing by you.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 3:32 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Miscellaneous Ketchuping Regurgitation of Antique Posts (KRAP) II:

Vyton's new "image":
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:Beware: heresy below.

descor wrote:Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

Well, that's a relief! :mrgreen:

This text is unrelated to the heretical comic3.

3Which doesn't exist.

...and once again, all I see is "image" -- I'll have to wait until later, but I'm eager to see it! Vytron, your last one was awesome!

Almost forgot to revisit this! Glad I did now that I'm at home -- once again, your comic is masterful Vytron!!! I love being commemorated for my use of base-head-up-my-ass numbers to get excited about being Pope of the Pi Page -- on page 341! :lol: :lol:

Nice work!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I would think it quite incredible, and myself extremely lucky, were I to one day have a stitch of all the stitched panoramas, as a giant poster, end to end. That would truly be great.

They would need to be arranged to go around the bend of a wall to keep their accuracy. :)

StratPlayer wrote:Ummm, I think that technically, I should get the booby prize -- after all, I'm the one who said the mountain looked like a booby with the nipple-fire-pit, and thus found the super-secret Easter-egg that ergman didn't even realize that he had planted.

Just sayin...

Well, can I at least have a bite???

Yes. A small bite.

AluisioASG wrote:About Oklahoma: I think the static images may have been Lord Randall's version of "one minute of silence".

I like that idea. I proclaim this to be canon trebuchet.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue May 21, 2013 4:05 am UTC

THEBIGCONG

ergman wrote:perhaps the little white dot is a tumor that must be cut out from Time before it can progress

Well, ya know today is the series finale of a certain show on Showtime here in the USofA. And nobody has yet mentioned it on the OTT or its connection to (or reason for?!?!?) the OTC. I've been watching and waitingheh, but nothing. The sea1.

hehheh
1bigbigsea
bigseaBigCbigc
bigcThe Big C!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 21, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Chapter 6

The Quest was not going well.

The Pope considered: Perhaps he should not have allowed himself to be swayed by the idea that there might be a better source of Holy Water. The river they were using was not dead yet, but so far, the river they were now following was not wholly water. It tasted seaish (by which he meant it tasted like the sea, not that it tasted big. He had no idea what it would be like for something to "taste big"). These annual replenishment quests had been taking longer and longer, but everyone assumed that it was simply the clergy using their tithes to go on a junket and party at the congregation's expense. The truth was considerably darker however. Holy water was indeed becoming scarce.

The Pope paced outside as the sun slipped below the horizon. He was alone now; the other clerics and scribes were gathered around the campfire eating berries and telling stories, having exhausted themselves dancing. These stories often amused the Pope, but right now his thoughts were elsewhere. The Pope looked over at the dying campfire they would soon abandon and considered... This was certainly an amiable bunch and they never turned down a party. However, the idea that one of his scribes or clerics would deliberately lead the group astray to prolong a quest was unthinkable.

Sometimes the unthinkable had to be thought.
Spoiler:
It was the second scribe who first noticed the Pope's absence, and went looking. She found the Pope seated on a rock near the edge of the campsite, barely illuminated by the last flickering flames of the dying fire. "You look troubled." she said. The Pope looked up at her, standing before him in a bright crimson robe. She looked absolutely regal, and for a moment the Pope considered whether she might be one to continue the Papacy. It was an attractive thought, but not nearly so attractive as the second scribe herself. The thought was fleeting, however, as he was the Pope, and could not afford the luxury of an actual, real life. There was much Poping to do, and he pushed other thoughts from his mind. "The water, isn't it?", asked the second scribe. "Yes, the water", replied the Pope, not wanting to complicate matters. It didn't make any difference though. The second scribe handed the Pope a scroll, saying, "I discovered this as we were leaving on this quest. It was hidden in the Fountain Room." The Pope took the scroll, and unrolled it. It was empty, save for one inscription:

macraw83: 525 of 666

The Pope looked up from the scroll, trying not to give away the sinking pit in his stomach. "Misplaced during the Pilgrim research, I presume?", he asked. "No", replied the second scribe. "I think we were meant to find it." Those words confirmed the Pope's biggest fear. This was a message: Somebody knew about the Holy Water, and wanted the clergy to know this. He pondered, and asked the scribe, "Wasn't macraw83 with us since the Beginning of Time?". The scribe nodded her head. That's all the Pope needed to know. Somebody was moving the Sacred Records, and macraw83 was Lost in Time. But why? And by whom? Alas, these were all questions that could not be answered now; they were far from the Records Chamber, and would not return for a long time.

It was becoming quiet. The sun had long set, and stars were beginning to come out. The party had dissipated, and the clerics and scribes were all drifting off to bed. A distant animal began to howl; it's rhythmic cries echoing faintly across the dark valley. The second scribe stood next to the Pope, close, almost touching. "I'm frightened" she said. The Pope was too, but dared not say so. "Come, there is something we must do", he said. They walked over to the remains of the campfire, and each of them picked out a still-glowing stick from the last dying embers. The Pope began, holding his stick up: "In nomina unium verium auctor..."; the familiar blessing of Pilgrims. "In the name of the One True Author, in observance of the One True Comic, in the service of the One True Thread, and by witness of the One True Congregation, we humbly open our hearts, our souls, and our schedules in devotion." The first scribe crossed her stick with the Pope's, and continued: "The sea is big. We open ourselves up to it."

They continued the prayer together, slowly raising their crossed sticks higher and higher. "In devotion, we drink from the One True Thread. In even higher devotion, some of us forsake the present, inviting the river of Time to flow through us and cleanse us until we are sated by the completeness of the past. The river is small. Although we are smaller, we can, and must, drink from the river of Time. We humbly ask that the Blessings of Time fall on our intrepid travellers, True Pilgrims Of Time, macraw83, and any others that are on Holy BlitzQuest, that they be enlightened, uplifted, and granted the Tree of Life."

The second scribe's voice cracked a little bit as she continued alone, "The tree is neat. Let us live up to it.". The Pope closed the prayer: "Let us indeed."

They held their position for a moment as the embers faded and grew cold. A chill breeze began to blow as they replaced the sticks carefully on the pile of now-dead ashes, and the Pope noticed that the second scribe's eyes were wet. He took her hand and pressed it tightly, saying "macraw83 is going to be fine". The scribe looked up at the Pope's eyes. "Thank you", she said, and then hurried off in the darkness. The Pope watched her for a moment, and then caught himself, and turned to go to his own tent.

His words echoed in his head: "macraw83 is going to be fine." He wished he could believe it.
Jose
<--previous (NP 643) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 699)-->
Last edited by ucim on Fri May 24, 2013 5:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 am UTC

Valarya wrote:It bothers me that all of my dactyl's have been unappreciated, lol. So I'm spreading some love. Love and sorbet cupcakes.

Well, considering that I've fallen madly in love with you because of them it would be just creepy for me to follow you around and be "that guy" who just can't shut up about it. 8-)

But I do like them. :mrgreen:

Now, about that restraining order...

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 21, 2013 4:41 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:THHHBBBT! So my hattiness is not recorded as creativity? Poopy!

This is kind of what I was leading towards when I asked if pictures contributed anything to the number. The maps, the animated gifs, the graphs and charts, and yes, the hats, are all very creative, and require considerably more effort than simply typing in straight text.

I would simply add one line to the program calculating the score:

points = points + (Number_of_hats_created)*1000;

That would guarantee your proper place in the creativity hierarchy. :mrgreen:
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 21, 2013 4:44 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
HES wrote:I never got the American use of "legos"... to me, they are pieces/parts/sets of lego. If you have a sand pit, you don't say it's full of sands... [/flamebait]
I agree.

Guess I'm the only one around here who has always, and always will, use 'legos' to talk about the toy. They are legos and I build things with legos. "Pick up your damn legos; I just stepped on one!" The more you guys point it out, the more redneck I feel I sound... but hearing them called Lego just feels wrong/weird to me unless I'm speaking about a Lego shirt. Or some Lego birthday invitations.

Simple: one Lego, two Legi.

If Lego were second declension, it would have to be Legus, -i. I'd think more third declension: Lego, Legonis, which would make the (nom) plural Legones.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 21, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:

This is kind of what I was leading towards when I asked if pictures contributed anything to the number. The maps, the animated gifs, the graphs and charts, and yes, the hats, are all very creative, and require considerably more effort than simply typing in straight text.

Quite right - a picture is worth a thousand words, no matter how creative. Well, some pictures are. Perhaps a picture is worth it's filesize (1 kb = 1 word, for png) in words, so a more complex and presumably information-filled picture is worth more words than a blank white picture.

Edit: Dag-nab it. I missed my 400th post somehow. Well, 402, yay! :lol:

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 21, 2013 4:54 am UTC

spamjam wrote:THEBIGCONG

ergman wrote:perhaps the little white dot is a tumor that must be cut out from Time before it can progress

Well, ya know today is the series finale of a certain show on Showtime here in the USofA. And nobody has yet mentioned it on the OTT or its connection to (or reason for?!?!?) the OTC. I've been watching and waitingheh, but nothing. The sea1.

hehheh
1bigbigsea
bigseaBigCbigc
bigcThe Big C!

It's all connected. Considering how many connections we've found for the OTC, its now quite understandable to me how real religions end up forming...
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
Exodies wrote:When you look down a road that bends in the distance, do you prefer one that bends to the left or to the right?

To the right. I suspect it's related to which side the steering wheel is on though... and/or which side of the road I drive on.

Why did I think only of walking? You Children of Henry Ford!
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 21, 2013 5:06 am UTC

ThONG

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Platonix wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:At a poetry workshop in port
spoke a struggling poet named Mort:
"The first four are fine,
but the very last line
is too short."

Another classic one is:

A decrepit old gas man named Peter,
While hunting around for the meter,
Touched a leak with his light.
He arose out of sight,
And, as anyone can clearly see by reading this, he also completely destroyed the meter.
Yeah I know that one, but I hadn't seen the opposite effect before.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 5:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:What's with the little white dot in the mustard?

Now that you point it out, I can't help but notice it. It was in the last frame, too, and nobody saw it.
Perhaps a slight error on the part of Randall?

that sounds a little bit like heresy, friend. The clearly deliberate white dot is a 2-d slice of a molpy tunnel.

Three times in a row!?
I'm actually a little worried now, but it's probably just a server hiccup.

I spose Randall dropped dead while colouring the last two pixels. And I just sent a contribution to his running costs! Well, they can put it towards his funeral. Dilbert anyone?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 5:24 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

Van Gogh? Really?

Platonic must be Dutch. They think they own the paintbox.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 5:34 am UTC

azule wrote:Part the Previous of the Story of NewPixBot.

Read and enjoyed - but, and this is a little but - I think you rushed the ending; I patiently await the second edition where the pace is more relaxed throughout.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 5:41 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:About Oklahoma: I think the static images may have been Lord Randall's version of "one minute of silence".
I don't know if that's what Randall actually intended, but I that's how I'll look at it. Sometimes a break in the rhythm of something like the OTC can help us experience a solemn moment.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 6

The Quest was not going well.

But the story of it is. Well done.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 5:50 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Ebonite wrote:

Quite right - a picture is worth a thousand words, no matter how creative. Well, some pictures are. Perhaps a picture is worth it's filesize (1 kb = 1 word, for png) in words, so a more complex and presumably information-filled picture is worth more words than a blank white picture.

Edit: Dag-nab it. I missed my 400th post somehow. Well, 402, yay! :lol:

A picture of 'the sea is big' would only be worth 4 words, and express a fact that any fule kno.

ETA the outsider's holiday "weekend" is over guys, don't leave me here monologising. Mobteeseboose - is there nothing you would like to add?
Last edited by Exodies on Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue May 21, 2013 5:51 am UTC

If I can add my grain of salt in the sorbet vs cupcake discussion: last Friday I had a coma-vision where a friend took my shōgi pieces and turned them into cupcakes. I remember I was quite upset because I couldn't play anymore, and these pieces have to be imported.
Given that I never eat cupcakes, and in fact I never hear the word cupcake in my daily (and not daily) conversations, it must be the OTT's cupcakes that slipped into my coma.

So cupcakes are powerful, but maybe a little too dangerous. I'm ok to switch to sorbets if these ones can't be made from shōgi pieces.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 am UTC

I hope I'm ONG Time!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue May 21, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Hi all. Back from a long week-end (yesterady was a public holiday), ketchup Time...

As I guessed, many thoughts about the raft when newpix 1386 came out...

Thanks to all (BlitzGirl, mscha, azule, ucim, k.bookbinder, Valarya Thanks for the cakes, lmjb1964, StartPlayer, htom, fhorn, jjjdavidson, all that I have forgotten, future-blitzers...) for the congrats! We were very lucky with the weather. We should have done the whole evening outside, but due to the bad weather here, we planned to eat inside and take the apero outside anyway... And we did not get rain! :D

@Exodies: no, I'm not gay... But I don't understand why you ask this...

jjjdavidson wrote:(Everyone else: Should we all repeat our congratulations on Tuesday, just so XonqNopp doesn't have to blitz fifty pages to read them all?)

Thanks for this thought... I admit I did not read all the 40 NP since I left... :oops:

I still see many people saying
The Sea is big.
The River is small.

Please... First the river, then the sea. Take a look at frame 563

Ok, now back to work...
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue May 21, 2013 6:52 am UTC

Contains wall of quotes and huge text
Spoiler:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Tue May 21, 2013 7:00 am UTC

XonqNopp wrote:Hi all. Back from a long week-end (yesterady was a public holiday), ketchup Time...

Thanks to all (BlitzGirl, mscha, azule, ucim, k.bookbinder, Valarya Thanks for the cakes, lmjb1964, StartPlayer, htom, fhorn, jjjdavidson, all that I have forgotten, future-blitzers...) for the congrats! We were very lucky with the weather. We should have done the whole evening outside, but due to the bad weather here, we planned to eat inside and take the apero outside anyway... And we did not get rain! :D

Typical topical Exo type misunderstanding - marriage in the media these days is all about gay folk wanting to do it and scumbag folk wanting them not to.

Unrelated funny story: I bet there were fewer people at my marriage than anyone else's - there were 0, zero, none. We forgot to go. Arranged a second attempt, there were 6 that time.

ETA in case you think that couldn't have been serious, we're still together 33 years later. "It's just a piece of paper, but it says 'I love you'".
Last edited by Exodies on Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 am UTC

More climbONG:

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 am UTC

If LaPetite is a child then it may be as well that she is not travelling with them. I can just imagine the litany of

"Are we there yet?"

"How much further?"

"I have to 'go' NOW!"

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:07 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok some new things after playing with my new data metric.
First the list of the 100 top creative Timewaiters (not accounting for creativity outside the OTT like websites, pictures, playlists, wikis etc.). The list differs in minor but interesting ways from Kieryn's1 here. The number in parenthesis is the One True Accumulated Creative Score (or short OTACS).
Spoiler:
  1. StratPlayer (245560)
  2. mscha (228643)
  3. KarMann (201089)
  4. BlitzGirl (197785)
  5. Latent22 (164517)
  6. ChronosDragon (153380)
  7. azule (148029)
  8. jjjdavidson (146183)
  9. buffygirl (139604)
  10. cmyk (119804)
  11. Angelastic (111639)
  12. HAL9000 (110780)
  13. PhoenixRising (105748)
  14. pelrigg (104180)
  15. Vytron (98907)
  16. htom (97998)
  17. higgs-boson (96243)
  18. lmjb1964 (93734)
  19. Smithers (92535)
  20. Dracomax (91625)
  21. Exodies (86538)
  22. ucim (83622)
  23. Kieryn (82419)
  24. kryton (82217)
  25. SBN (81210)
  26. Sciscitor (78628)
  27. Valarya (77360)
  28. mojacardave (74857)
  29. Helper (72489)
  30. udscbt (65000)
  31. Caswallon (63034)
  32. vvn (58375)
  33. partingLance (55677)
  34. k.bookbinder (55327)
  35. SWuh (52760)
  36. Opiboble (49628)
  37. macraw83 (48323)
  38. jovialbard (47729)
  39. AluisioASG (45989)
  40. manvandmaan (43832)
  41. ggh (41197)
  42. blowfishhootie (40241)
  43. chem1190c (38077)
  44. AionArap (36893)
  45. peewee_RotA (36582)
  46. descor (35755)
  47. Eternal Density (35119)
  48. yappobiscuits (34358)
  49. Purplepants77 (33512)
  50. histrion (33014)
  51. Incognito357 (32913)
  52. edo (32653)
  53. Eliram (31917)
  54. TheMulattoMaker (31914)
  55. fhorn (31712)
  56. slinches (30435)
  57. swey (29277)
  58. Mr Moriaty (28987)
  59. Rule110 (28921)
  60. SPACKlick (28748)
  61. Ebonite (28717)
  62. mathrec (28591)
  63. RobIrr (27826)
  64. mittfh (27212)
  65. Jonas79 (26281)
  66. NoMouse (26093)
  67. tman2nd (25657)
  68. HES (25205)
  69. Whizbang (24939)
  70. diego5wh (24655)
  71. elementropy (24618)
  72. CatHectic (24245)
  73. Davidy (24083)
  74. ttscp (23884)
  75. edfel (23685)
  76. bigcrag92 (23589)
  77. Beatrice The Golden (23348)
  78. Pikrass (23315)
  79. bouer (23049)
  80. Elmach (22693)
  81. Eutychus (21585)
  82. VoronX (21311)
  83. NoEdge (20748)
  84. Goggalor (20317)
  85. Montov (20212)
  86. orthogon (19819)
  87. Roia (19736)
  88. silent_death (19683)
  89. patzer (19353)
  90. pdg (19299)
  91. Asthanius (19251)
  92. xspeedballx (18934)
  93. Wraithlord (18820)
  94. airdrik (18702)
  95. riverssong (18636)
  96. sparehead3 (18474)
  97. Jafloi (18466)
  98. Mycroft_147 (18274)
  99. Ayriannah (18229)
  100. Flado (17540)

Second, here is an updated graph (up to post 26439 of the still rising creative flood in the OTT which seems to rival the rising sea of the OTC.
Spoiler:
Postingdata.png

Third: lmjb1964 you may want to fix your post #3305897, the tags are seriously broken (I think the first color tag needs to be closed).

1 Not Kevin.

Whoa! I finally broke the top 30 posters, and I'm on the top 20 for creativity! That's cool. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that post you mentioned. I was just quoting Rule110; his poem was all purple. Am I missing something?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

RobIrr

Postby RobIrr » Tue May 21, 2013 7:47 am UTC

A busy outside-dominated weekend has left me stranded in the past again. I did have several replies already queued up in another tab, but a forced reboot yesterday lost them all. Bah!

For now though... I can't believe how much discussion I stimulated over bacon ! But then, it IS the god of all foodstuffs...

Loving the double-dactyl verses; I'll have to try one.

Right... Time off to brush Tiddler's hair and get her to school...
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:Hi all. Back from a long week-end (yesterady was a public holiday), ketchup Time...

Typical topical Exo type misunderstanding - marriage in the media these days is all about gay folk wanting to do it and scumbag folk wanting them not to.

Unrelated funny story: I bet there were fewer people at my marriage than anyone else's - there were 0, zero, none. We forgot to go. Arranged a second attempt, there were 6 that time.

ETA in case you think that couldn't have been serious, we're still together 33 years later. "It's just a piece of paper, but it says 'I love you'".
To me, same-sex marriage means about as much as 'single marriage' or 'ocean marriage'. Not wanting people to do it is equivalent to not wanting people to have their proverbial cake and eat it. You can 'legalize' it all you want but that doesn't make it actual marriage any more than allowing me to marry myself makes me actually in a marriage.

[heresy]Now, should I go home for dinner and be a little late, or wait for the ONG and be a bit later... I think I really better go :( Silly outside.[/heresy]

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue May 21, 2013 8:03 am UTC

FONG!

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Tue May 21, 2013 8:08 am UTC

BONGWL
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:10 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Exodies wrote:

To me, same-sex marriage means about as much as 'single marriage' or 'ocean marriage'. Not wanting people to do it is equivalent to not wanting people to have their proverbial cake and eat it. You can 'legalize' it all you want but that doesn't make it actual marriage any more than allowing me to marry myself makes me actually in a marriage.

[heresy]Now, should I go home for dinner and be a little late, or wait for the ONG and be a bit later... I think I really better go :( Silly outside.[/heresy]

I'm gunna go ahead and quietly suggest that this is a topic we leave be, as flamewars lurk not far away.

PhoenixRising

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 am UTC

(Seaish. Consider yourself warned. I have been doing a lot of ketchup... and still so much more to go.)

@Earthling on Mars re: Star Wars/LoTR
@HES re: Hotel California/OTW
@HAL9000 re: Svengoolie
@mscha re: verbal gymnastics
@Vytron re: new OTTcomic
@yappobiscuits re: music
@nerdsniped re: firstpost (mostly just tossed this forward)
@Kazza3 re: ketchup (the food kind)
@Ace re: lemonade & DDs

Spoiler:
mscha wrote:http://xkcd.mscha.org/tmp/colorado.png

I don't know where you got that image, but I like it.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:In a dark room, in a dark palace, on his dark throne, sits the Dark Lord. He is twice the height of a man, clad entirely in black, and on his head is a black crown.
<snip>

...Lord Vader?

Be careful, Cuegan. Don't go to the river. It's a trap!

You know, I've actually never seen Star Wars. I know. Burn me at the stake. (Well, actually, I did see one of the movies on TV when I was ~9 or 10 years old, but I barely remember it.) When I wrote that, I was thinking of a Lord-of-the-Rings-esque Dark Lord ("the Dark Lord on his dark throne").

I've never seen or read LoTR. *shrug* Go ahead and burn me too I guess.

HES wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:
HES wrote:"Hotel California"
"Randall's One True Comic"

<snip>

Magnificent (and hilarious!) Well written. :D
EDIT: as I went to preview this post I realized my quote structure was broken. Apologies to all if I misattributed this parody...

Correctly attributed, thanks! :D Now let me just add you to the OTW56... My ultimate procrastinatory goal is to have everyone on there, but my drawing skills don't extend much beyond stick figures and hats

56One True Whiteboard. An abbreviation of OTTCIWF1
1One True Thread Condensed Into Whiteboard Form, not any heretical delusions of grandeur

Yaaaay, a place on the OTW! You could totally get everyone on there. Just use the Force! (and lots of Time)

HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:YES!

Not sure which Svengoolie you watched (apparently it's more a passed-down title than any particular guy?) but mine was Rich Koz, and I always thought it was awesome he was also the host of the Three Stooges show that was on just before Sven. I may have even wondered once or twice (we didn't usually record stuff so the technology wasn't overly familiar to me) how he got changed so fast between shows. :lol:

Rich Koz is the one I'm familiar with. First saw his show on MeTV, but I'm surprised I didn't know about him earlier. Before he was picked up by a national station his show aired in the Milwaukee/Chicago area, which is where I've spent my entire life so far. If I had watched enough late-night television, I might've seen him on a local station.
He was to host of the Three Stooges show? That's why the Stooges show up for a second at the very beginning of his show's intro! I had never made that connection, actually.

Yep, I watched him on MeTV as well iirc. And I always kinda assumed the "clear the airwaves, clear ALL airwaves" quote was a Stooges thing, but now that you mention it I never did see them use such a quote. So you're probably right.

mscha wrote:(Yikes, this is so much
harder than writing haiku.
I think I'll give up.)

I see what you did there. The verbal gymnastics fascinate me, well done.

Vytron wrote:http://s7.directupload.net/images/130519/r9md2kxh.png
This text is unrelated to the heretical comic3.

3Which doesn't exist.

Wheeee, more OTTComics! And is it totally pathetic that I squee'd when I saw I got a mention? XD Seems forever ago though, only 550 pages back then... closing on 700 now. Daaaaang.

yappobiscuits wrote:I wrote a song about frogs once...

See, it's all related.

Is it bad that I lost it around the 1:10 mark? :lol: Thankfully I have a headset on...

Started checking out some of your other stuff, too. (Also chased you to YouTube so I can use YouTube Repeat.) Homeland is amazing, all those feels, and a couple of your others are potent earworms. :mrgreen: (In particular I can't stop listening to The Modern Nightwish Forumer's Song and Charlie (Cover))

nerdsniped wrote:I've been lurking for oh these many a hundred newpages. Finally compelled to pop up (molpy-like?) to say:

Oh wait a minute, this isn't the Monsterometer, it's the Frog-Exaggerator!

(Molpyometer? Raptorometer?)

*tosses firstpost forward* Welcome to the OTT!

Kazza3 wrote:And yes, their ketchup is our tomato sauce, just a little less sugary, and we don't generally have it in glass bottles (and I don't know why you Americans still do, impossible to get it out!), but use plastic squeeze bottles with a nozzle. I believe what we call tomato paste, Americans call tomato sauce.

We do? :shock:

The only kind of food-ketchup (as opposed to OTT-ketchup) I ever see is in plastic squeeze bottles like you mention.

Ace wrote:The non-fizzy lemon drink is sometimes called 'lemon squash', as well. When I was up north, lemon squash was the beverage of choice for the designated driver - some pubs even offered it free to the driver.

This is an amazing idea. I have no idea why we don't do that up here in the USA... instead, as far as I can tell, we just discuss designated drivers no end and hope people go with it. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.
riverssong wrote:I step away for ten minutes and y'all are creating a new civilization?!

This is getting out of hand. Stop that right this minute.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”