1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

From wikipedia:

"Lake Ihotry is a closed saline2lake in semi-arid southwestern part of Madagascar. Its area varies seasonally1, from 96 km² to 112 km²."

1As in, the water level goes gradually up or down.

2caffeinsemenbabycancerated
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:From wikipedia:

"Lake Ihotry is a closed saline lake in semi-arid southwestern part of Madagascar. Its area varies seasonally1, from 96 km² to 112 km²."

And, what would happen if the course of the Mangoky diverted into the lake? It looks like that's a flood plain region where the Mangoky has varied its course.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Wow, height of about 9 & 10 cueball. How high was the sand castle?

Also, I hope they climb in the tree for an overview, and my dream is Randall will draw a full color map of the place.

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Magdiragdag wrote:
astrocub wrote:Baobabs!!
Spoiler:

So... they're on an island? This looks like the Adansonia Grandidieri..., only to be found in Madagascar. And all this time we've been thinking about inland seas

Well, that looks very specific. Is Randall is giving us actual information?

The end is near

Given the recent GeoGuessing Other Comic, I'd say he's at least teasing us.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

"Lake Ihotry is a closed saline2lake in semi-arid southwestern part of Madagascar. Its area varies seasonally1, from 96 km² to 112 km²."

Holy Molpy that must be it! This is the end!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
spamjam wrote:WOWISRIGHTONG!

I think they found enough wood to make a raft and a home...

Um. Haven't checked, but looking at the angles, they really ought to have seen those trees way before they got to the top of the hill... Can someone do a stitch?

I think they could have but the last few backgrounds they have been in they have been busy looking at where to put there feet, but the newpix before megan says "wow" you can tell she is looking at them a little stunned. here.

ucim wrote:@Rule110 - re The Sandcastles High (Part 1): I just want to add my kudos to you for that splendid adaptation - syncopation and all! The syncopation in the original is great, adding even more variety and life to an epic song, and you have done a great job preserving the feel of it. This should be recorded!

Kieryn, referring to those cowabONGa trees wrote:...looking at the angles, they really ought to have seen those trees way before they got to the top of the hill...
I though the same thing... but if they were huffing and puffing and looking down, I suppose they could have missed it. And if they were full grown molpys, I think I'd be getting worried right about now.

Jose

From further back, with the closer hills obscuring the trunks of the WOW trees, the tops may have looked like more and higher hills. However, until the panorama is made, I'm thinking they should have seen these Trees6 from the bottom of the hill they're on. Now, if that hill was about three times the height (so that Cueball & Mrgan were looking directly at the canopy), thy wouldn't have seen the trunks, but the scene would still be6b

6 --WOW--
6b --WOW--
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Magdiragdag

Postby Magdiragdag » Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:We are assuming that we know too much compared to GLR. Perhaps this is not happening on Earth or Time is not during our time.

Wait for the dodo.
I wait for it, therefore I am.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Wow, height of about 9 & 10 cueball. How high was the sand castle?

Also, I hope they climb in the tree for an overview, and my dream is Randall will draw a full color map of the place.

You'll need to eat some of the berries to see it in color. I don't think any of the comics have had color in them.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

robhagopian

Postby robhagopian » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

WOW

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Spoilered for quote tree
Spoiler:
pelrigg wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I think they found enough wood to make a raft and a home...

Um. Haven't checked, but looking at the angles, they really ought to have seen those trees way before they got to the top of the hill... Can someone do a stitch?

I think they could have but the last few backgrounds they have been in they have been busy looking at where to put there feet, but the newpix before megan says "wow" you can tell she is looking at them a little stunned. here.

ucim wrote:@Rule110 - re The Sandcastles High (Part 1): I just want to add my kudos to you for that splendid adaptation - syncopation and all! The syncopation in the original is great, adding even more variety and life to an epic song, and you have done a great job preserving the feel of it. This should be recorded!

Kieryn, referring to those cowabONGa trees wrote:...looking at the angles, they really ought to have seen those trees way before they got to the top of the hill...
I though the same thing... but if they were huffing and puffing and looking down, I suppose they could have missed it. And if they were full grown molpys, I think I'd be getting worried right about now.

Jose

From further back, with the closer hills obscuring the trunks of the WOW trees, the tops may have looked like more and higher hills. However, until the panorama is made, I'm thinking they should have seen these Trees6 from the bottom of the hill they're on. Now, if that hill was about three times the height (so that Cueball & Mrgan were looking directly at the canopy), thy wouldn't have seen the trunks, but the scene would still be6b

6 --WOW--
6b --WOW--

Also, if they were on the other side of the hill, she might have thought them bushes, or trees such as she had previously seen, as she would only be able to see the treetops before she reached the top of the hill.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:

There is no end, that is the punch line, our death.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
Montov wrote:Wow, height of about 9 & 10 cueball. How high was the sand castle?

You'll need to eat some of the berries to see it in color. I don't think any of the comics have had color in them.

There are other comics? ;)
Some comics were in color. And I don't see why certain frames can't be in color. Luckily, we have mscha for that.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

And now for something completely different:

Hey, I just noticed that I've reached the point where I have more posts than the OTT has pages, and it happened on this page (well, actually, the previous one, but this works better). So, slightly belated, let me say:

Whoo-hoo!!! 677, baby!!!

So, I'm not a baker like the wonderful Valarya, but how 'bout we go to Albany and I'll get dinner for everyone here:

677prime

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

I actually thought that that was a parody until I checked geekwagon...
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:

"Lake Ihotry is a closed saline lake in semi-arid southwestern part of Madagascar. Its area varies seasonally1, from 96 km² to 112 km²."

And, what would happen if the course of the Mangoky diverted into the lake? It looks like that's a flood plain region where the Mangoky has varied its course.

Very good theory. I am trying to locate regional elevation data. It would be awesome if I was able to detect a matching cross-section with any of the stitchpixes that have been assembled.
Image- Kieryn

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Holy baobabs, Batman!

Also, if the couple are trekking in an analogue of the Earth, this might provide a guess as to which country they are in. It might also be a Little Prince reference, in which case I expect to see some snakes and hats soon.

So, you know how the birds-are-dinosaurs comic came right when a bird appeared in Time? Maybe the geoguessr comic links to this. Baobabs grow commonly in some places, but they could also be artificially cultivated in others.

On the other hand, it could be related to the what-if. These are really tall trees. Assuming Cueball and Megan are of average human height, how tall are these trees?

Stratplayer - I'm salivating. What restaurant?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
Spoiler:
Holy baobabs, Batman!

Also, if the couple are trekking in an analogue of the Earth, this might provide a guess as to which country they are in. It might also be a Little Prince reference, in which case I expect to see some snakes and hats soon.

So, you know how the birds-are-dinosaurs comic came right when a bird appeared in Time? Maybe the geoguessr comic links to this. Baobabs grow commonly in some places, but they could also be artificially cultivated in others.

On the other hand, it could be related to the what-if. These are really tall trees. Assuming Cueball and Megan are of average human height, how tall are these trees?

Check the link above the pic... :wink:

ETA: And no, I'm not near it -- I'm half a continent away. So if you get there first, grab a table for all of us...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Holy baobabs, Batman!

Assuming a 5 foot average, then those trees would be at least 55 feet tall.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And now for something completely different:

Hey, I just noticed that I've reached the point where I have more posts than the OTT has pages, and it happened on this page (well, actually, the previous one, but this works better). So, slightly belated, let me say:

Whoo-hoo!!! 677, baby!!!

So, I'm not a baker like the wonderful Valarya, but how 'bout we go to Albany and I'll get dinner for everyone here:

677prime

Spoiler:

Way to raw for my liking, but that is a great cut of meat, looks like if you cooked it to a nice even well-done it would just fall apart in your mouth.... Man I am getting steaks tonight, that is that.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue May 21, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

By the way, I'm a highly experienced botanist, just by reading the next website for 5 minutes:
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/525

Some highlights:

Baobab shed its leaves during 6 months at the beginning of the dry season and new leaves appear after flowering.

[...]

The baobab is mainly used for food. The fruits, flowers, leaves, shoots, roots of seedlings and even the tree roots are edible. The leaves can be used either fresh as a cooked vegetable or dried and powdered as an functional ingredient (thickener) of soups and sauces.

[...]

The hollow trunks of baobab are ideal nesting sites for birds such as rollers, hornbills, parrots and kestrels while their branches welcome eagles, vultures, raptors and storks nests

It is not the dry season.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:And now for something completely different:

Whoo-hoo!!! 677, baby!!!

677prime

Spoiler:

Way to raw for my liking, but that is a great cut of meat, looks like if you cooked it to a nice even well-done it would just fall apart in your mouth.... Man I am getting steaks tonight, that is that.
Personally, if it is that pink, it had better be nice and juicy. I see no juice.
“have i gone mad?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
astrocub wrote:

There is no end, that is the punch line, our death.

So, does this mean there are two new cults forming? The Suddenly-Endists*? And the LTW** Foundation-ists?

(*As started a few Newpages ago when Megan spoke "I found a-")
(**LTW = Last Time Waiters; see AluisioASG's story)

@ StratPlayer: congrats on the "beat the page number" posts. (Now I'm hungry for steak, darn)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Hmmm. There's one problem with the Lake Ihotry theory though. It's kind of small. Somewhere along the journey they kind of implied that they had been walking for days. It would take maybe a day to circle the whole lake, during which time they would have seen plenty of baobabs.
Image- Kieryn

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue May 21, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

If this was supposed to be a hint of where they are, it was not at all subtle.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

thirds wrote:If this was supposed to be a hint of where they are, it was not at all subtle.

True. I was a little disappointed at first that it wouldn't be more of a puzzle, but knowing GLR this just means things are going to get a whole lot more confusing soon.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue May 21, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Holy Randall! I actually went to Madagascar last summer, and I'm going back there again next summer!
It's all related!
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:So, now we know WHERE this is happening: Africa!

Now, to scour Africa's coastline for a place that resembles our map...

There are Baobabs in Australia, too. The Prison Tree is a bit of a squat one, but I have seen tall ones.

Also, here's a bar inside a Baobab tree: http://www.lifeinthefastlane.ca/worlds- ... fbeat-news (this one is in Africa)
Wait for it.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
thirds wrote:If this was supposed to be a hint of where they are, it was not at all subtle.

True. I was a little disappointed at first that it wouldn't be more of a puzzle, but knowing GLR this just means things are going to get a whole lot more confusing soon.

Things are already very confusing. This has resolved the general earth region. However it has increased (at least for me) the uncertainty about whether this is based on a real world location or is a creation from the mind of GLR
Image- Kieryn

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

I'm not 100% convinced that it really establishes location. Just because baobabs are native to Madagascar doesn't necessarily mean that the OTC is in Madagascar. Perhaps Cuegan are simply somewhere which happens to have baobabs which are not indigenous. After all, the swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house martin, or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:So, I'm not a baker like the wonderful Valarya, but how 'bout we go to Albany and I'll get dinner for everyone here:
677prime

Are you sure? There are over a thousand posters in this thread. I'd love to see their "table for a thousand". :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

I'm not 100% convinced that it really establishes location. Just because baobabs are native to Madagascar doesn't necessarily mean that the OTC is in Madagascar. Perhaps Cuegan are simply somewhere which happens to have baobabs which are not indigenous. After all, the swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house martin, or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land.

So these might be migratory baobabs. We've already seen an entire flower pop up in under the timespan of a newpix, maybe in this world trees can globe-trot.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 21, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Edit: some slight Cuegan momement, no other pixel activity.
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

So these might be migratory baobabs. We've already seen an entire flower pop up in under the timespan of a newpix, maybe in this world trees can globe-trot.

Or, they were carried by laden swallows Timevultures morphys
“have i gone mad?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:So, I'm not a baker like the wonderful Valarya, but how 'bout we go to Albany and I'll get dinner for everyone here:
677prime

Are you sure? There are over a thousand posters in this thread. I'd love to see their "table for a thousand". :)

Jose

Sure! But, um, just to be clear -- when I say "I'll get dinner for everyone here," I of course mean that I'll order for everyone. But the bill will be separate checks, of course...

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Ebonite wrote:In case you hadn't noticed, my avatar is a clear bowling ball with a skull embedded inside. "Ebonite" is actually the name of a bowling ball company. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way; I just happen to be a competitive bowler. I used the name "Ebonite" for a D&D character many, many years ago, and have since re-used it as a character name, username, or avatar name for many purposes since.

The moment you mentioned your avatar was a bowling ball, I immediately started wondering:
Are you carried around by your daughter (the one with green streaks in her hair and who's trying to avenge your death)?
The one who hangs around with those Mystery Men?

Spoiler:
The Blue Raja: Sorry, but am I to understand you've inserted your father's skull inside of that ball for bowling?
The Bowler: No, the guy at the pro shop did it.

The Bowler: [to her father's skull, after avenging his death] OK, now I'm going back to graduate school. That was the agreement.

Also I noticed this bit of trivia:
The bowler's skull ball was a custom ball. After the release of the movie, bowling ball manufacturer Ebonite made a less-detailed version of the skull ball as part of their Super Fun Ball line.

Yep - that's where I got the inspiration for the avatar!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Very clever.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

If those baobabs are non-indigenous, then they would have to be living in our future, because it takes centuries (or millennia, depending on which botanist you listen to) for them to grow that size.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 21, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

If those baobabs are non-indigenous, then they would have to be living in our future, because it takes centuries (or millennia, depending on which botanist you listen to) for them to grow that size.

Really, all it takes is one tiny seed. Then you just have to

Spoiler:
wait for it...

suzi

Postby suzi » Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

I like the geoguessing, but the first thing I thought of was

Now there were some terrible seeds on the planet that was the home of the little prince; and these were the seeds of the baobab. The soil of that planet was infested with them. A baobab is something you will never, never be able to get rid of if you attend to it too late. It spreads over the entire planet. It bores clear through it with its roots. And if the planet is too small, and the baobabs are too many, they split it in pieces . . .

"It is a question of discipline," the little prince said to me later on. "When you've finished your own toilet in the morning, then it is time to attend to the toilet of your planet, just so, with the greatest care. You must see to it that you pull up regularly all the baobabs, at the very first moment when they can be distinguished from the rosebushes which they resemble so closely in their earliest youth. It is very tedious work," the little prince added, "but very easy."

And one day he said to me: "You ought to make a beautiful drawing, so that the children where you live can see exactly how all this is. That would be very useful to them if they were to travel some day. Sometimes," he added, "there is no harm in putting off a piece of work until another day. But when it is a matter of baobabs, that always means a catastrophe. I knew a planet that was inhabited by a lazy man. He neglected three little bushes . . ."

So, as the little prince described it to me, I have made a drawing of that planet. I do not much like to take the tone of a moralist. But the danger of the baobabs is so little understood, and such considerable risks would be run by anyone who might get lost on an asteroid, that for once I am breaking through my reserve. "Children," I say plainly, "watch out for the baobabs!"

My friends, like myself, have been skirting this danger for a long time, without ever knowing it; and so it is for them that I have worked so hard over this drawing. The lesson which I pass on by this means is worth all the trouble it has cost me.

edit for new image: the first result on google was from *angelfire*????????
Last edited by suzi on Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

thirds

Postby thirds » Tue May 21, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Those really appear to be Grandidier's baobabs, and the molpy could very well have been a mouse lemur, both native to Madagascar.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”