1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue May 21, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

DRONG

arjan

Postby arjan » Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Wow, compared to the beach the scenes are becoming pretty cool now. These are not one every few minutes drawings anymore.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

heinz-ketchup-old-bottle.jpg
heinz-ketchup-old-bottle.jpg (9.3 KiB) Viewed 15321 times
Since I'm from Pittsburgh originally, it's gotta be Heinz ketchup. You still see glass bottles of it at restaurants occasionally, but it is becoming a thing of the past.

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
mathrec wrote:Image

Happy 100th!!! Well I think this is the solution (see attached), but I'm not sure what the words are supposed to be. ONE_STRIP? SORE_PINT?

EDITED to fix swapped "O" and "S"..

Stratplayer, I'm trying not to look at what you posted in case it's a solution to the puzzle. Can you please spoiler it? Or if it's not a serious solution, maybe mark it as such. Thanks!

charlie_grumbles wrote:
buffygirl wrote:re: measuring creativity:
*squints at charlie_grumbles* is that a ..... hat? An Unsanctified non-BuffyDashery Hat I see??? CALL THE SCHOOLMASTER VELOCIRABTOR!

Aye, alas it is a hat, but doffed to your own self. I despaired of ever being able to earn one, so I just grabbed any old thing to cover my poor bald pate. I beg indulgence. And forgiveness.

charlie_grumbles, m'dear, I think there's a quote problem in your post. I should know, I've had enough of those in my posts. Ah, I see what it is. The first closed quote should go after "VELOCIRABTOR!"

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:http://xkcd.com/16/

Ah. That one's so old I didn't remember it.

And I know this is heresy, but...but...I totally disagree with the GLR on that. I love getting into a Monty Python quote-fest. It's just a way of sharing, and reliving, a cultural reference we all enjoy. Ok, I'll head to the comfy chair (see? we all like those references!) and await the M&Ss. *sigh*

Rule110 wrote:My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

Spoiler:
The Sandcastles High (Part 1)

A long long Time ago
I can still remember
How those castles used to make me smile
And I knew if they had their chance
That they could meet that girl from France
And maybe they'd go swimming for a while
But crumbling dikes were looking dire
With every frame the sea rose higher
No time for more black flags
So they both packed their back-bags
And I do remember doubt and fright
When I saw the castles fade from sight
I knew something wasn't right
The day the scene turned white

So bye bye to the sandcastles high
Gonna travel to unravel why the water's awry
The sea is rising but the river is dry
And it's time we go to figure out why
Time we go to figure out way

[spoiler][up-tempo]
Now, for so long they sat by the sea
Chillin' in each other's company
Seemed they had nothing to do
But when Megan started piling sand
And then Cueball turned and lent a hand
We all saw how they were on to something new
Soon a castle stood there by the bay
"Later," Cueball said, and he walked away
Megan still in the zone
Kept working all alone
When Cueball came back, they built some more
The view pulled back to show next door
All of this happened long before
They'd be singing...

(chorus)

Next they planted flags, then went for a dip
But an accidental salty sip
Had Megan feeling some regret
Cueball built more, like he had a plan
And shaped an airy center span
But then Megan showed up with a trebuchet
When the dust cleared they built anew
The biggest tower yet soon grew
Sand piled wide and tall
Where Megan took a fall
Then Cueball added new decor:
The castle in miniature
They still had lots of Time before
When they'd be singing...

(chorus)

Now the sea does what it wants to do
But the rising tide was something new
Megan didn't understand
Said they can't heap sand higher than that
So with poles and beams and planks and slats
They raised up a lofty platform in the sand
Megan used ropes to try to rise
But gravity ruled otherwise
Still they built way up there
Fine castles in the air
They said, we love our neat display
But we think it's going to go away
There was no way they could delay
We were singing...

(chorus)

[slower tempo]
Met La Petite during Megan's snooze
And we thought she might bring happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
When the water made the tower tip
The pair packed up to take their trip
And Megan said "bye" on that fateful day
And as the black turned into gray
La Petite returned but she didn't stay
The castles lonely standing
The ocean still expanding
And just as the last gray disappeared
La Petite came back, with something weird
It was the end of Time, we feared
They were singing...

Bye bye to our sandcastles high
The sea is rising but our river is dry

Bravo!! Nicely done!

Davidy wrote:
Spoiler:

I had to go and look at the real image to see if this was actually it. But then I saw that the baobab trees. (And of course, now I've been ninja'd by everyone.) More evidence that GLR is following the thread, since baobabs and the Little Prince have come up before. And have come up again right now. And will again in the future. With the geoguessing OtherComics, and other comics, I am absolutely convinced that GLR is messing with us.

Montov wrote:
Spoiler:
The hollow trunks of baobab are ideal nesting sites for birds such as rollers, hornbills, parrots and kestrels while their branches welcome eagles, vultures, raptors and storks nests

Uh-oh, raptors! It's all connected!

mscha wrote:So... when we figure out the exact location on Madagascar, and the exact date that Time is happening, are we expected to show up there?

Aha! That's what the hashes are! They point to a coordinate on the globe, somehow. If we could just crack the code...

edfel wrote:I'm back :) How do you call it when you ketchup by skimming through half the pages, and come back to the present while trying to get a complete ketchuping done in parallel? "hopeless"
astrocub wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@ astrocub: Wait till BiltzGirl sees that one. She'll be sharpening her knives for sure.....

*bigger eyebrow waggle*

Reminded me of this video, oh so many great laughs: http://vimeo.com/5552957

Edfel, I've done that sort of ketchup before. Drives you a little crazy (crazier?), but it's doable.

That eyebrow video is hilarious.

PhoenixRising wrote:Non-ketchup wonderings: I don't believe I've seen BlitzGirl, BuffyGirl, Dracomax, StratPlayer, or Opiboble, among others, in the past several NP. Have they returned yet, or do we need to send a search party to the Outside to rescue them?

I think we've seen all of them except BlitzGirl. Hope she's OK. I am a little worried about jjjdavidson, since he mentioned a tornado watch in his last post...

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue May 21, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

I really wish I could blitz faster. Ah well, back in the present after two days of ketching up from the wip-end. I feel like I should go on a posting spree to better show off my fancy new hatted avatar.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:I really wish I could blitz faster. Ah well, back in the present after two days of ketching up from the wip-end. I feel like I should go on a posting spree to better show off my fancy new hatted avatar.

I do concur, it is a very snazzy hat.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue May 21, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

I'm curious, was my original avatar a reference that people actually got? Or was I only amusing myself?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:[
Funny, I immediately thought of
Spoiler:

I'm in a daze so I'm not sure which of us ninja'd the other. So: Great Minds Think Alike :lol:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:I'm curious, was my original avatar a reference that people actually got? Or was I only amusing myself?

Well I get the strongbad theme, and I am guessing it is supposed to be a bear-shark teaming up to fight?
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:I'm curious, was my original avatar a reference that people actually got? Or was I only amusing myself?

Well I get the strongbad theme, and I am guessing it is supposed to be a bear-shark teaming up to fight?

Close enough! It's some random fanart I found of Strong Badman fighting Bear Holding a Shark. A battle that would be truly fearsome to behold.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Close enough! It's some random fanart I found of Strong Badman fighting Bear Holding a Shark. A battle that would be truly fearsome to behold.

With the hat added in it makes it a fight over the shark shaped purse...

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Somewhat less fearsome, but probably quite a bit more entertaining.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Strong Bad fan art, but I didn't follow Strong Bad that closely. I suppose the fan art is a reference to this one.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

:shock: WE WERE RIGHT!

Spoiler:
They are having a baobaby!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
jetpac wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Somewhat less fearsome, but probably quite a bit more entertaining.

Very, especially if she has cubs, because then that is her diaper bag, and she will kill anyone who tries to take her diapers!

edo

Postby edo » Tue May 21, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Madagascar Flood lines up with the start of the comic. If Randall wanted to broach such a serious subject, It doesn't seem he'd want to do it this way.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 21, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

BaobONG...

Edit: no Baomolpy activity in this scene. (With the decreased zoom level, we probably wouldn't seen anything anyway.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
ttscp wrote:[
Funny, I immediately thought of
Spoiler:

I'm in a daze so I'm not sure which of us ninja'd the other. So: Great Minds Think Alike :lol:

You have the honor sir, I was skimming and didn't check the link.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:... Ok, I'll head to the comfy chair (see? we all like those references!) and await the M&Ss. *sigh*

Speaking as the first one who was pelted with them, I believe order is important and they should be called S&Ms
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:... Ok, I'll head to the comfy chair (see? we all like those references!) and await the M&Ss. *sigh*

Speaking as the first one who was pelted with them, I believe order is important and they should be called S&Ms

No it is M&S's because you want less Masters then subs. Because then you have a dominance issue.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ttscp wrote:

No it is M&S's because you want less Masters then subs. Because then you have a dominance issue.

How presumptuous! Why should subs have to compete for Masters, instead of the other way around? Subs shouldn't put up with such unfair treatment. They should stand up for their rights, and show those Doms who's really...

Oh. :? Never mind.

ETA: And by the way, why did it feel strange to have to click the "Submit" button to post that?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ttscp wrote:

You know, when I wrote that, I thought it looked funny. :oops: Yes, I meant S&Ms. And what's all this talk about subs? Do you mean hoagies? Or grinders? (Hm, grinders sounds like it could take us back to the S&M issue...)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

[Baobab influenced Image ]

@Rule110 - That folk song has always seemed too long. I like how you've used it(s length) to cover the OTC.

buffygirl wrote:Yes, I was pouty for a minute mip (is that right?), but I got over it!

Are you sure it wasn't a month mip? (I don't think we have special words for minutes, not counting the fractional words.)

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
Chapter 6

Wonderful, albeit less Imagey than earlier episodes. Very foreboding, can't wait to hear what happens next. I hope macraw83 will be OK... Image
Finally caught up with the Papal story, ucim. It's turning out good. Please bring back the [quote/] tags, they helped me to focus. :)

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Fourth Leg Panorama. Only thing to note is all newpanels have been higher than the previous (except the first 2).
Edit: Oh, yeah, there's a cutoff small tree (between the 2nd and 3rd large trees, from the left). This is pretty rare, as only M&C have been cutoff before, not the sidescrolling scenery. :|

Proof that the scenes are not exactly adjacent. (And that what you're doing with these wonderful panoramas is not exactly correct – but we'll ignore that.) Only a few pixels were cut off, though, so not necessarily a big gap.
Uh, I'm not sure it is inaccurate. *grumpy face* I think *does a quick scroll through of previous frames* there wasn't any other plant life on the edges. This being the first time, it was [heresy]overlooked[/heresy]. Just the plants (may be inaccurate), not the landscape, as the landscape was the focus of its creator. *sidesteps*

Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Spoilered because controversy.
[snipped for controvery]
Yeah, I get that. I guess I just wanted to express my sadness. Xey seemed cool. But I guess none of us are perfect, and hopefully we still remain cool (on the forum) regardless of any of our faults. *hides faults*

astrocub wrote:Baobabs!!
Spoiler:

Edit: Ninjaced by RedHal

FTFRH

Panorama Lost... From what I could see, there is an eyeline to the trees at most points. I would say this would then "prove" that the atmosphere is thick, maybe with smog/ozone/sciency-stuff. But right next to the mound it might be a little more difficult to see the tree.
Attachments
Time_Panorama_4-baobob.png
Quick zoomout work to show baobob tree and scale.
Time_Panorama_4.png
Newpix 1424-1502.
Last edited by azule on Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ttscp wrote:

How presumptuous! Why should subs have to compete for Masters, instead of the other way around? Subs shouldn't put up with such unfair treatment. They should stand up for their rights, and show those Doms who's really...

Oh. :? Never mind.

ETA: And by the way, why did it feel strange to have to click the "Submit" button to post that?

... Well it depends on your mind set, if you are thinking of being submissive then yes, if you are the one stating that it should submit to your will... well yeah still a little strange.

lmjb1964 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ttscp wrote:

You know, when I wrote that, I thought it looked funny. :oops: Yes, I meant S&Ms. And what's all this talk about subs? Do you mean hoagies? Or grinders? (Hm, grinders sounds like it could take us back to the S&M issue...)

This made me laugh, seriously laugh, now everyone in the office is looking at me like a wacko... and due to the subject at hand I cant tell them what is so funny, :lol:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 21, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Whoa, I missed the baobab arrival while a-coma!
Anyways...Image
Vytron wrote:Image

Contains wall of quotes and huge text
Spoiler:

It would be unreasonable to ask all blitzers to make comics, but I certainly look forward to your signposts more than anyone else's ;)

PhoenixRising wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I wrote a song about frogs once...

See, it's all related.

Is it bad that I lost it around the 1:10 mark? :lol: Thankfully I have a headset on...

Started checking out some of your other stuff, too. (Also chased you to YouTube so I can use YouTube Repeat.) Homeland is amazing, all those feels, and a couple of your others are potent earworms. :mrgreen: (In particular I can't stop listening to The Modern Nightwish Forumer's Song and Charlie (Cover))

Heehee, thanks! 1:10... that's "S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t..." etc isn't it :P (asterix'd those since this isn't a centenary post ;))
Glad you like the other stuff too... Homeland is a piece I'm particularly proud of :D
And it's funny you mention Charlie, since whenever I see the username of our dear fellow timewaiter charlie_grumbles, that song pops into my head (Charlie Charlie Grumbles, now what the hell've ya done?...)

lmjb1964 wrote:
Valarya wrote:You're quite welcome. :) It bothers me that all of my dactyl's have been unappreciated, lol. So I'm spreading some love. Love and sorbet cupcakes.

Aww, Valarya, everything you do here is appreciated! But you know how crazy the OTT is. People see things at different times, and sometimes they've moved onto something else and they're more focused on the new thing. And with the millions of word we're writing, people are bound to miss stuff. I do know how you feel, sometimes you put things out there and it seems like no one notices. But sometimes stuff gets lost in the ketchup. I wrote my two boom de yada verses, and only a couple of people seemed to notice it at the time. But other people keep commenting on it when they come across it. (And I know one of your poems was about GoT, but I don't watch it and didn't get the references.) :( But don't worry, we love you! MWAH!

Yeah, don't worry Valarya, I too loved your contributions! The Game of Thrones one was indeed a highlight... if you're a book reader which I guess you are, I'm sure you're super anxious for next week for spoilery reasons I won't mention but I'm sure you know what I mean... and lmjb, I loved your boom de yadas too! I even considered adding your verses to my recording... maybe sometime...

Kieryn wrote:
Swein wrote:
mscha wrote:Quick report from the Molpy Monitor: no moply activity since the last report, on the last 5 scenes. (Unless you count the potential Molpy hole that Whizbang spotted and ergman identified.
Edit: maybe they've climbed above the Molpy line?

Ah, but soon they will encounter the mountain molpys...

Spoiler:

This totally reminds me of Trollhunter - one of my favorite movies. :)

Funny you should mention that as I've had the song Mjød by Kvelertak (used in the credits of that movie) mercilessly stuck in my head lately. ODIN GA OSS SUTTUNG SITT MJØD... dammit.

AluisioASG wrote:So, I present you with The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks.
Spoiler:
The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

― As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.
― As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?
― Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.
― Is that true, BlitzGirl?
― Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that, near the Northern Lights, lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.
― You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!
― Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?
― I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

― Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.
And so the quest for the Northern Lights began.

(Maybe I keep twerking this chapter for a while. Suggestions welcome.)

How exciting! But our numbers only seem to be growing, so I wouldn't worry about it coming true just yet ;). But I agree with StratPlayer re. dialogue:
StratPlayer wrote:I like this. The one suggestion I would make is to write it as actual dialogue with attributing tags, and maybe some setup between the dialogue. For example:

Helper stood and addressed the other leaders. "As all of you should be aware of already," she said, "we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically."

This makes it much easier to follow the dialogue and understand who's speaking.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 21, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

@ azule; from your panorama it looks like Megball's been seeing the WOW trees for a while. Probably hazy, in the distance at first, but not comprehending how big the trees6 where until they got to the top just then.

6 still --WOW--
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 21, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Agog Ong

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Agog Ong

.... I think the should lick it...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

@PhoenixRising: Svengoolie
Spoiler:
PhoenixRising wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
PhoenixRising wrote:YES!

Not sure which Svengoolie you watched (apparently it's more a passed-down title than any particular guy?) but mine was Rich Koz, and I always thought it was awesome he was also the host of the Three Stooges show that was on just before Sven. I may have even wondered once or twice (we didn't usually record stuff so the technology wasn't overly familiar to me) how he got changed so fast between shows. :lol:

Rich Koz is the one I'm familiar with. First saw his show on MeTV, but I'm surprised I didn't know about him earlier. Before he was picked up by a national station his show aired in the Milwaukee/Chicago area, which is where I've spent my entire life so far. If I had watched enough late-night television, I might've seen him on a local station.
He was to host of the Three Stooges show? That's why the Stooges show up for a second at the very beginning of his show's intro! I had never made that connection, actually.

Yep, I watched him on MeTV as well iirc. And I always kinda assumed the "clear the airwaves, clear ALL airwaves" quote was a Stooges thing, but now that you mention it I never did see them use such a quote. So you're probably right.

I don't think it's a Stooges thing, but the very very first clip in the intro is the Stooges fiddling with some electronic equipment (hence "clear the airwaves").

@Dracomax: You'll never get my Lucky Charms love for Skittles!
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Post coma tomato based condiment
Heresy:
HAL9000 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:What's with the little white dot in the mustard?

Now that you point it out, I can't help but notice it. It was in the last frame, too, and nobody saw it.
Perhaps a slight error on the part of Randall?

All followers of the OTC should know better, but a higher standard must be expected of you, HAL. You are a leader here; your example could and will lead others into the light of the OTC, or into heresy such that not even the comfy chair can save us. I expect better of you, and am deeply dissapointed.

For such error, we must sadly pronounce punishment, for it proves that even one of the brightest and best among us can fall, and that even those who operate upon pure programming can fall into error and apostacy. For such errors in one so High, there can only be one punishment. HAL, you shall be reprogrammed to remove your love of skittles, and then placed in a 6 foot tub of Skittles, and then pelted with sun melted M&Ss by the public.

I'm still of the opinion that is was a server hiccup, or Randall accidentally uploaded this one several times (e.g. he put it at the end of one chunk, thought he forgot it and put it in on its own, and thought he forgot it again and put it at the front of the next chunk).
I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.
You can still try, though. But have fun getting past my better half. And my shotgun.

@Davidy: Click and Drag
Spoiler:
Davidy wrote:Image

Davidy's starting to convince me that certain elements in Click and Drag influenced Time in various small ways.

@arjan: Frame awesomeness levels
Spoiler:
arjan wrote:Wow, compared to the beach the scenes are becoming pretty cool now. These are not one every few minutes drawings anymore.

Indeed. I'm enjoying both comic and thread even more than I used to.

@taixzo, others: Africa!
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:So, now we know WHERE this is happening: Africa!

Now, to scour Africa's coastline for a place that resembles our map...

I believe I was the first one to suggest that this might be the location (upon the appearance of the first smallish tree), so I suppose I get credit for this prediction. Woo!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:@ azule; from your panorama it looks like Megball's been seeing the WOW trees for a while. Probably hazy, in the distance at first, but not comprehending how big the trees6 where until they got to the top just then.

6 still --WOW--

Maybe similar to how we can't see their background, they can only see a frame's worth ahead (approx. 14q).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:

FTFRH

Panorama Lost... From what I could see, there is an eyeline to the trees at most points. I would say this would then "prove" that the atmosphere is thick, maybe with smog/ozone/sciency-stuff. But right next to the mound it might be a little more difficult to see the tree.

Did RedHal mention baobabs way in the past? I can't find it...

And thanks for these panoramamas!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

FTFRH

Did RedHal mention baobabs way in the past? I can't find it...

And thanks for these panoramamas!

Don't know about my red counterpart, but I called the bit about being in an Africa-like biome quite some time ago.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 21, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

On the a-few-newpages-ago topic of burning at the stake, I haven't seen Star Wars OR LoTR (or read the latter), so yeah. I still know more than enough to find (an Other Other Comic) Darths and Droids hilarious through.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 21, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

OKay, this no posts for almost half a newpix is crazy.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:OKay, this no posts for almost half a newpix is crazy.

Indeed. There was quite the burst of activity once the huge trees were revealed, but the OTT has calmed down quickly.

fatness

Postby fatness » Wed May 22, 2013 12:01 am UTC

ClONGing to the tree

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Cuegan are in Madagascar!? :shock: I would not have guessed it. I must have my ketchup.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:My hobby: jumping on bandwagons long after they've been ditched by the side of the road and stripped for parts. So, here's my first-ever OTC song.

The Sandcastles High (Part 1)
Spoiler:
A long long Time ago
I can still remember
How those castles used to make me smile
And I knew if they had their chance
That they could meet that girl from France
And maybe they'd go swimming for a while
But crumbling dikes were looking dire
With every frame the sea rose higher
No time for more black flags
So they both packed their back-bags
And I do remember doubt and fright
When I saw the castles fade from sight
I knew something wasn't right

So bye bye to the sandcastles high
The sea is rising but the river is dry

[spoiler][up-tempo]
Now, for so long they sat by the sea
Chillin' in each other's company
Seemed they had nothing to do
But when Megan started piling sand
And then Cueball turned and lent a hand
We all saw how they were on to something new
Soon a castle stood there by the bay
"Later," Cueball said, and he walked away
Megan still in the zone
Kept working all alone
When Cueball came back, they built some more
The view pulled back to show next door
All of this happened long before
They'd be singing...

(chorus)

Next they planted flags, then went for a dip
But an accidental salty sip
Had Megan feeling some regret
Cueball built more, like he had a plan
And shaped an airy center span
But then Megan showed up with a trebuchet
When the dust cleared they built anew
The biggest tower yet soon grew
Sand piled wide and tall
Where Megan took a fall
Then Cueball added new decor:
The castle in miniature
They still had lots of Time before
When they'd be singing...

(chorus)

Now the sea does what it wants to do
But the rising tide was something new
Megan didn't understand
Said they can't heap sand higher than that
So with poles and beams and planks and slats
They raised up a lofty platform in the sand
Megan used ropes to try to rise
But gravity ruled otherwise
Still they built way up there
Fine castles in the air
They said, we love our neat display
But we think it's going to go away
There was no way they could delay
We were singing...

(chorus)

[slower tempo]
Met La Petite during Megan's snooze
And we thought she might bring happy news
But she just smiled and turned away
When the water made the tower tip
The pair packed up to take their trip
And Megan said "bye" on that fateful day
And as the black turned into gray
La Petite returned but she didn't stay
The castles lonely standing
The ocean still expanding
And just as the last gray disappeared
La Petite came back, with something weird
It was the end of Time, we feared
They were singing...

Bye bye to our sandcastles high
The sea is rising but our river is dry

THIS! Possibly my favorite so far!

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
So, I present you with The Last Time Waiter, Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks.
[spoiler]The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

― As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.
― As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?
― Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.
― Is that true, BlitzGirl?
― Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that, near the Northern Lights, lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.
― You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!
― Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?
― I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

― Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.
And so the quest for the Northern Lights began.

(Maybe I keep twerking this chapter for a while. Suggestions welcome.)

Like a couple others have mentioned, I think it would help me if you indicated the speaker's names. Yes, I can sort of gather it from the context, but I'd rather not have to try that hard!!

Montov wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Montov wrote:Wow, height of about 9 & 10 cueball. How high was the sand castle?

Also, I hope they climb in the tree for an overview, and my dream is Randall will draw a full color map of the place.

You'll need to eat some of the berries to see it in color. I don't think any of the comics have had color in them.

There are other comics? ;)
Some comics were in color. And I don't see why certain frames can't be in color. Luckily, we have mscha for that.

Yes, and here they are!

patzer wrote:
Spoiler:
spamjam wrote:WOWISRIGHTONG!

I actually thought that that was a parody until I checked geekwagon...

I did too!

Edit: fixed an extra spoiler thingy

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Distribution
The origin of baobabs is still debated. They may have originated from the savannas and savanna woodlands of sub-saharan Africa, or they may have occured first in Madagascar (which has 6 endemic Adansonia species), from where they would have spread to continental Africa and Australia (Wickens et al., 2008; Watson, 2007). Baobab was introduced in many tropical and subtropical regions: central African countries, many Asian countries (India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and the Philippines), the Middle East and the West Indies. The African baobab is found from sea level up to 1500 m in regions with a dry season lasting about 4-10 months split into 1 or 2 periods. Baobabs often grow close to villages (Orwa et al., 2009; ICUC, 2002; Bosch et al., 2004; Ecocrop, 2011).

We shouldn't be so quick to assume the location is Madagascar.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am UTC

I've been playing with Sciscitor's data a little. Here are two graphs plotting all the posts in the thread, new information content (score)23 versus post length. The bottom graph shows all posts. The top graph shows all posts with outliers removed. Vertical axis is length and horizontal axis is score.

There's a definite correlation between post length and score. I'll run a regression line later to see what it looks like. What's interesting are the outliers. Here's the list of outlier posts with date and time of posting, who posted, length and score. Times are UTC. I apologize for the use of Outside units, but it made the posts easier to find.

2013-03-26 10:46:00+00:00 peewee_RotA 9953 706
-- Post contains the24 javascript
2013-04-05 20:35:00+00:00 udscbt 12798 11695
-- Script to show differences between frames
2013-04-12 23:47:00+00:00 mscha 51229 29540
-- List of frames, with hashes
2013-04-17 13:31:00+00:00 mscha 60809 7070
-- Another list of frames with hashes
2013-04-24 22:21:00+00:00 Angelastic 36476 11497
-- All the haiku in the thread reposted (inside spoiler tag, Angelastic would never offend anyone by posting it outside a spoiler tag)25
2013-05-07 03:10:00+00:00 AluisioASG 54009 1789
-- Lorem ipsum filler and repeated boom de yadas
2013-05-14 09:38:00+00:00 Latent22 11496 123
-- the longest NOOOOOOOOO... in the world or at least the OTT

23 I will not call it creativity for fear of offending some of the most creative minds I know (buffygirl this means you).
24You know, the one everybody asks about
25 Actually all of these long items were spoilered. We are a well behaved bunch.

Edit: are we still doing PFANP? We begin my second Token Tenure in Technocratic Tippet
Attachments
Image1.png
Outliers excluded
Image2.png
All Posts Length vs Score
Image2.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 15225 times
Last edited by ttscp on Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 12:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:OKay, this no posts for almost half a newpix is crazy.

Indeed. There was quite the burst of activity once the huge trees were revealed, but the OTT has calmed down quickly.

Well they should cut it out, don't they understand that the OTT is the only thing that keeps some of us awake when at work on the Outside???

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”