1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

buffygirl buffygirl
everyone said
buffygirl buffygirl
cover my head

buffygirl buffygirl
i'm filled with dread
buffygirl buffygirl
don't be misled

buffygirl buffygirl
forging ahead
buffygirl buffygirl
help ME instead

buffygirl buffygirl
the old one is shed
buffygirl buffygirl
please make it red
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed May 22, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Montov wrote:On topic: why is 7 angry at 6?


It's jealous. It would much rather be beutiful and empty than 'wow'
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:If these trees really are boabab trees, as we might suspect them to be, and if Cueball or Megan decide to climb the trees, which may or may not be boabab trees, then might they not be lemurs?

I just wanted to reference this image again. First, we have the GLR image, then the Baobab, then one superimposed upon the other.
baobab.png


TimeLurker wrote:Buffygirl, I formally come to you requesting a place on the hat waiting list.

I live in West Virginia <insert toothless redneck joke here> and my style is simple and classic. As exampled by my avatar, which is just clip-art from Word.

Many thanks in advance.

Okie dokie! You're in.

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I don't know how to search for my own first post -- I was a reader from the start, but lurked for a while before diving in.
Click "advanced search", put "1190 Time" in the search field, and your username in the user field. You'll get a list of all your posts in this thread (plus a few coincidences, maybe). Go to the end of the list and that should be your first post (they are normally sorted newest first, though you can change that and save that step.)

Or even easier: go to Kieryn's Time Dedication site, Credits, and look for your name.

Here's how I do it: At the top of the page I select "User Control Panel" then "Show your posts." It shows all of your posts, in reverse order.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.

I await the birth of this creation!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl buffygirl
everyone said
buffygirl buffygirl
cover my head

buffygirl buffygirl
i'm filled with dread
buffygirl buffygirl
don't be misled

buffygirl buffygirl
forging ahead
buffygirl buffygirl
help ME instead

buffygirl buffygirl
the old one is shed
buffygirl buffygirl
please make it red

Yeppers, ok. I suppose I can forgive you for your earlier transgression. I suppose.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...

Well if everyone uses the same name as is registered here (such as myself) it should be a little simpler to track down.

eta: He could put a way for individuals to add there internet names... or even link facebook accounts, now that would be interesting to look at.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
jetpac
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jetpac » Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
edfel wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...

Well if everyone uses the same name as is registered here (such as myself) it should be a little simpler to track down.

I'd bet that quite a few people have different names, though. For instance, "jetpac" is usually taken, so I often use "jetpacmonkey" instead.

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
edfel wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...

Well if everyone uses the same name as is registered here (such as myself) it should be a little simpler to track down.

eta: He could put a way for individuals to add there internet names... or even link facebook accounts, now that would be interesting to look at.

A big graph of who posts where on the Internet... in order to compute a Blitzgirl number :) I actually think that the idea would raise interest of some computer scientists...

Edit: on a smaller scale, that could be done quite accurately for the for(ums|a).xkcd.com domain... hmmm
Last edited by edfel on Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Wed May 22, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
mathrec wrote:OK, I understand the Inquisitor feels that he needs to be equipped to cut down the tallest tree in the forest, but we simply cannot allow him to have something as dangerous as a chainsaw. I suggest he be issued
Spoiler:
a herring!

I concur, a herring would be a good weapon.

A white herring? After having googled that, I learned something that I kinda didn't want to know :shock:. whiteherringcoffeecancerbabies? And I'm pondering how to go about weaponizing it.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
edfel wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...

Well if everyone uses the same name as is registered here (such as myself) it should be a little simpler to track down.

eta: He could put a way for individuals to add there internet names... or even link facebook accounts, now that would be interesting to look at.

A big graph of who posts where on the Internet... in order to compute a Blitzgirl number :) I actually think that the idea would raise interest of some computer scientists...

Edit: on a smaller scale, that could be done quite accurately for the for(ums|a).xkcd.com domain... hmmm

Seeing that we have a few that shouldn't be an issue, lol.

But yeah, if per person we could enter per website we post on our user names we could quite easily determine degrees of separation from blitzgirl... or for that matter anyone once we have a large enough base.

Oh my, it hit me. We just need to develop a site were you can register and then enter what site and what user name you use, then just let it collect the data from there, shoot we could probably get a grant to do that shit!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

Move alONG, nothing to see here...
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 22, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:But yeah, if per person we could enter per website we post on our user names we could quite easily determine degrees of separation from blitzgirl... or for that matter anyone once we have a large enough base.

Oh my, it hit me. We just need to develop a site were you can register and then enter what site and what user name you use, then just let it collect the data from there...
Too much potential for abuse. There are probably members who prefer to keep their online identities isolated from one another, for a variety of reasons, and there are commercial entities that are eager to get their hands on this kind of information whether we want them to have it or not. Personally I especially distrust facebook, but they are far from the only black hats in the internet arena.

Let our data analysis remain local, fun, and useless to commercial entities. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
edfel wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
edfel wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Well thanks to google:
Google wrote:James Burke's Bacon number is 3
James Burke and Omri Katz appeared in Speed.
Omri Katz and Cathy Moriarty appeared in Matinee.
Cathy Moriarty and Kevin Bacon appeared in Digging to China.
Yes, but what's the Erdős-Bacon number?

I guess we could do Seven Degrees of Blitzgirl or even a Blitzgirl-Number on the quote tree. But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess.


"But folks, be honest, this would just be a ridiculous mess"

Hence it must be done. Tonight folks.


Extending from Erdös Number, erveryone who's posted in the same thread as Blitzgirl would have Blitzgirl number 1 (that means all of us plus a few others in other threads), anyone ever posting to the same thread in any forum of the internet as a timefollower would have distance 2, etc.
Only Google can have a clue at which forums I have posted in my life, so I think we will lack some data...

Well if everyone uses the same name as is registered here (such as myself) it should be a little simpler to track down.

eta: He could put a way for individuals to add there internet names... or even link facebook accounts, now that would be interesting to look at.

A big graph of who posts where on the Internet... in order to compute a Blitzgirl number :) I actually think that the idea would raise interest of some computer scientists...

Edit: on a smaller scale, that could be done quite accurately for the for(ums|a).xkcd.com domain... hmmm

Seeing that we have a few that shouldn't be an issue, lol.

But yeah, if per person we could enter per website we post on our user names we could quite easily determine degrees of separation from blitzgirl... or for that matter anyone once we have a large enough base.

Oh my, it hit me. We just need to develop a site were you can register and then enter what site and what user name you use, then just let it collect the data from there, shoot we could probably get a grant to do that shit!

Yep, probably. Anyone feels like writing the proposal? :) Otherwise it'll remain a late evening project ^^

ETA:
ucim wrote:Too much potential for abuse. There are probably members who prefer to keep their online identities isolated from one another, for a variety of reasons, and there are commercial entities that are eager to get their hands on this kind of information whether we want them to have it or not. Personally I especially distrust facebook, but they are far from the only black hats in the internet arena.

Let our data analysis remain local, fun, and useless to commercial entities. :)

Jose


Indeed, misuses of any social data are far too easy to come by :(. So just an xkcd scale graph would be enough, possibly with a small selection of other forums.
Last edited by edfel on Wed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:But yeah, if per person we could enter per website we post on our user names we could quite easily determine degrees of separation from blitzgirl... or for that matter anyone once we have a large enough base.

Oh my, it hit me. We just need to develop a site were you can register and then enter what site and what user name you use, then just let it collect the data from there...
Too much potential for abuse. There are probably members who prefer to keep their online identities isolated from one another, for a variety of reasons, and there are commercial entities that are eager to get their hands on this kind of information whether we want them to have it or not. Personally I especially distrust facebook, but they are far from the only black hats in the internet arena.

Let our data analysis remain local, fun, and useless to commercial entities. :)

Jose

You do hold a good point, but it would still be an interesting data set to look at : )

ETA: Thinking on it though, you can use any data set to abuse anything really. All the project would do would show how many people link you to another person. You don't need to list through what sites or by what people you are linked to. You could have the controlling log in something like Google so you can grab a "real" ID so you don't get to many people spoofing profiles of someone else to make them look bad... then again how would you make them look bad if the registered name & site are not public.

There is many ways you could do it to to help protect users. And I would do the grant proposal if I was any good with following through on things... which I am not, lol.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Wed May 22, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

@Rule110: Photoshop
Spoiler:
Rule110 wrote:Eschery Peschery
It's not a poster-tree
Bent horizontally.
Just its bad luck
Losing by tragedy
Half of its canopy
Thermoelectrically
When lightning1 struck.
Here's what it should look like:
Image
1or Dracomax's chainsaw

Touche. Rhymes with "douche."
Also, lovely Peltier reference in your ddactyl, maybe Megball will turn the Baobabs into generators to power their electric steam bottleWTF?.
@TimeLurker: Molpy Marks
Spoiler:
TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Opiboble wrote:Good after Coma everyone : ) How it be going in the OTT this fine newpix?

The tree is odd, and has writing on it. Also, it may or not be possible to glare unintentionally.

Technically, there are markings on the tree that we speculate to be writing.

Well, Cuegan believe the markings have meaning. Most intentional markings which convey meaning are some sort of writing, in a"set of signs or symbols" used to communicate information is writing. Writing is the most likely explanation, given the information we have.

Most likely correct. I was going to suggest the markings could be molpy claw marks, but that doesn't seem to fit with how they mentioned them. "Markings" vs. "Marks"

They may very well be markings, in which case we must ask ourselves, "Why Molpius Paint?"
@mscha: spoilers
Spoiler:


Edits: There have been so many hilarious pictures and comics made here, and [heresy]I just realized that there is a whole xkcd forum outside of us, including an xkcdsw string. Should we include our pictures there for them, or is it their fault for not partaking in the OTT? Do other strings [paranoia]talk about us? [/paranoia][/heresy]

WTF?I don't know how anything works.
Last edited by astrocub on Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl buffygirl
everyone said
buffygirl buffygirl
cover my head

buffygirl buffygirl
i'm filled with dread
buffygirl buffygirl
don't be misled

buffygirl buffygirl
forging ahead
buffygirl buffygirl
help ME instead

buffygirl buffygirl
the old one is shed
buffygirl buffygirl
please make it red

Yeppers, ok. I suppose I can forgive you for your earlier transgression. I suppose.


Oh Thank you. My sweet kitty also thanks you:
Attachments
Harpiety.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl buffygirl
everyone said
buffygirl buffygirl
cover my head

buffygirl buffygirl
i'm filled with dread
buffygirl buffygirl
don't be misled

buffygirl buffygirl
forging ahead
buffygirl buffygirl
help ME instead

buffygirl buffygirl
the old one is shed
buffygirl buffygirl
please make it red

Yeppers, ok. I suppose I can forgive you for your earlier transgression. I suppose.


Oh Thank you. My sweet kitty also thanks you:

Is said "sweet kitty" by any chance a byakhee?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 551 of 688
Revelations of people and vegetation, NP 1142

Something must be happening in the Present, since I am having trouble reading fast enough to keep up with my current progress of 137 pages behind... guess I'll have to Wait (for it) for about a week or so to see what's going on...

Current events:
To signpost or not to signpost, that is the question of this NewPage (or 6)
Cupcakes!!!

Random PastPost responses:

yappobiscuits actually made it! Brilliant!
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.
I feel like you hit the vocals perfectly, even doing a wonderful job with my "bboz dr yndn" section. *hi-five*

I am honored by and approve of this idea:
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
ggh wrote:Edit 2: (but how will you pronounce the mixed rot13?

I'm looking at it (Bboz dr yndn) as "b-boz derr yid-in"

By the way, I propose that we call this every-other-rot13 encoding "cat13" in honor of macraw83's avatar. (Somebody probably already named it somewhere, but, hey!, we outnumber them.)

Interesting discussion here:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Flotter wrote:
Kieryn wrote:New data available.

Also 2 new features in early1 development...

Ad hoc charts:
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Customchart

User stat pages (links from the credits page)
http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits

1very

Quick analysis: Caswallon is the only person in the top 50 who doesn't have the word Time or time in his top 10 of words :shock:


Wow. "Time" is my number 1, used almost three times as much as my other nouns (and I think that counts as another two times I used it (oh wait, that makes another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time (and another time

Plus, I love that "?" is my third-most-oftenest noun. I would have thought it would have been higher, but in retrospect, I think I've also used it as a verb, an adjective, an adverb, a pronoun, and a prepositional phrase.








And just to relieve the agony: ) ) ) ) ) )
Oh good Randall, how could y-- oh, ok, you fixed it. I was about to flip shit over the infinite open parenthetical recursion...

In any case, I apparently also don't have "Time" in my top 10 either. But I do have "NewPage", "NewPages" AND "OldPages" there. As well as "Blitz", "signposts" and "TimeFrames". And apparently "fus" from the days of the ROT-n is a noun, I'm not sure. And "pjc" is an adjective.

I was somewhat torn when I saw this:
Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:
Dracomax wrote:so...has anyone figured out yet at what point the number of people blitzposting will outnumber the number of people currentposting?

My guess, based entirely on a refusal to collect the easily findable data, is that in about 150 Timeframes, the then-current newpage will be composed entirely of people posting signposts from the past.

Unfortunately.

It was fun with BlitzGirl. Talent and|or practice met a beautiful idea and the result was highly entertaining.

Now... Epigones I tend to skip. :?

The blitzgirling thing as an art in itself isn't original anymore and worn out (the Arrival of the Anointed One happened and we are all happy). And the added value of opinions and estimates brought in targetting something >400 newpix ago - howbeit already written, proven false, or both - is rather small.

Please rally to the flag. The thread's about the comic. Not about poster's toplists.
This explains why I've seen a small handful of sigs saying that it's ok to keep posting signposts and other such things. I had figured that someone had probably dissented about how they were off-topic, or rather, necroing long-discarded topics from the depths of the thread, and I've finally reached this discussion.

I assume that your comment about "poster's toplists" is intended to mean that we Blitzers are making these signposts in an attempt to boost our post counts, which I can assure you is not the case. That wouldn't even make sense. If I wanted to have tons of posts, I wouldn't be Blitzing and leaving signposts, I'd be participating in the discussion in real-time. And besides, I try to condense a large number of posts into one signpost, also reducing my potential post count. That isn't even a slight motivation for me.

If you want to skip my signposts, feel free, I won't be offended. I'm sure they aren't the most interesting posts in the One True Thread, and I try to make them obvious as to their true nature for a reason (hello, first 2 lines, "Blitz Progress" and current OTC progress...) as well as including spoilers. The main reasons for me to do them is to provide my feedback on a few PastTopics that I feel particularly strong about (no matter how old), to give me a reason to Blitz and stay true to my quest in the first place, and also to provide some level of OTT-archival service. At one point, during the One True Blitz, there was someone new that popped in and asked for a summary. One quick response was to read through BlitzGirl's signposts, since they were pretty thorough. I don't claim to provide as thorough or interesting summaries myself, and if people feel it is unnecessary I will cut them down even more than I've tried to already.

Having read a bit more in this discussion, I feel the majority feels that they belong, so I will keep posting. If you don't want to read them, then just skip over them. If you have a huge problem with them, please send me an PM, as I likely won't see your comments for a week or two. I'd hate to be part of the reason some people might leave the OTT.

Another mention from fellow Blitzer Vytron:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:<snip>

macraw83 then tells us that he continuously is left without internet, and has to open many tabs of the thread to ketchup to the present. So, macraw83, if you have this message loaded in some tab to further read, good luck ketchupping up!
Why thank you! I did eventually ketchup, but now find myself in the midst of a much more daunting Blitz. At least this time I have reliable internet, since I'm no longer wandering around in Russia (not to say that Russia doesn't have reliable internet, just that I was rarely in the same place long enough to do much ketchupping)
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
buffygirl buffygirl
everyone said
buffygirl buffygirl
cover my head

buffygirl buffygirl
i'm filled with dread
buffygirl buffygirl
don't be misled

buffygirl buffygirl
forging ahead
buffygirl buffygirl
help ME instead

buffygirl buffygirl
the old one is shed
buffygirl buffygirl
please make it red

Yeppers, ok. I suppose I can forgive you for your earlier transgression. I suppose.


Oh Thank you. My sweet kitty also thanks you:

Is said "sweet kitty" by any chance a byakhee?


Dunno, just saved her cute self from the pound (where she was terrorizing the bulldogs). :twisted:
She is really very sweet. Just don't try to rub her tummy. She hasn't tried dimension shifting that I know of.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6860
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:ETA: Thinking on it though, you can use any data set to abuse anything really. All the project would do would show how many people link you to another person. You don't need to list through what sites or by what people you are linked to. You could have the controlling log in something like Google so you can grab a "real" ID so you don't get to many people spoofing profiles of someone else to make them look bad... then again how would you make them look bad if the registered name & site are not public.
I would not be comfortable with this [using data from outside xkcd]. There are many ways to slice the data, and it has already been shown (elsewhere) that anonymized data can be easily de-anonymized. I even did it myself, by hand, on one (admittedly smaller) project, getting down to exactly who replied what to which question. It's not a question of making somebody "look bad". It's a question of the fact that your social network by itself says too much about you to make available to commercial entities, who are eager to tailor your experience to their desires. The information needed to create this graph would also lend itself to creating other products, and that is a place I do not want to go.

Umwelt by nature is one thing, but umwelt controlled by facebook or the RIAA is a whole different can of tuna, and that is where the network of connected computers (which includes but is not limited to the internet) is headed.

This is a sanctuary here.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:ETA: Thinking on it though, you can use any data set to abuse anything really. All the project would do would show how many people link you to another person. You don't need to list through what sites or by what people you are linked to. You could have the controlling log in something like Google so you can grab a "real" ID so you don't get to many people spoofing profiles of someone else to make them look bad... then again how would you make them look bad if the registered name & site are not public.
I would not be comfortable with this [using data from outside xkcd]. There are many ways to slice the data, and it has already been shown (elsewhere) that anonymized data can be easily de-anonymized. I even did it myself, by hand, on one (admittedly smaller) project, getting down to exactly who replied what to which question. It's not a question of making somebody "look bad". It's a question of the fact that your social network by itself says too much about you to make available to commercial entities, who are eager to tailor your experience to their desires. The information needed to create this graph would also lend itself to creating other products, and that is a place I do not want to go.

Umwelt by nature is one thing, but umwelt controlled by facebook or the RIAA is a whole different can of tuna, and that is where the network of connected computers (which includes but is not limited to the internet) is headed.

This is a sanctuary here.

Jose

But it isn't when you think about it, every 15min you can see the google/bing/yahoo bot crawl across the server parsing all our posts, and they can easily determine our identities. Honestly if you are really worried about Facebook and RIAA and the USGov, then you probably should just go disconnect your modem...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Umwelt by nature is one thing, but umwelt controlled by facebook or the RIAA is a whole different can of tuna, and that is where the network of connected computers (which includes but is not limited to the internet) is headed.

This is a sanctuary here.
Jose


Little Fluffy agrees:
Attachments
Harpieyes.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
On a side note: Well done steaks are not burnt unless you don't know how to cook meat.

We don't know how to cook meat. We're waiters, not chefs.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Image
Anyone else half expect the tree to turn around and watch them walk away?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Ha. Nailed it:
Image
Moving along nicely.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:ETA: Thinking on it though, you can use any data set to abuse anything really. All the project would do would show how many people link you to another person. You don't need to list through what sites or by what people you are linked to. You could have the controlling log in something like Google so you can grab a "real" ID so you don't get to many people spoofing profiles of someone else to make them look bad... then again how would you make them look bad if the registered name & site are not public.
I would not be comfortable with this [using data from outside xkcd]. There are many ways to slice the data, and it has already been shown (elsewhere) that anonymized data can be easily de-anonymized. I even did it myself, by hand, on one (admittedly smaller) project, getting down to exactly who replied what to which question. It's not a question of making somebody "look bad". It's a question of the fact that your social network by itself says too much about you to make available to commercial entities, who are eager to tailor your experience to their desires. The information needed to create this graph would also lend itself to creating other products, and that is a place I do not want to go.

Umwelt by nature is one thing, but umwelt controlled by facebook or the RIAA is a whole different can of tuna, and that is where the network of connected computers (which includes but is not limited to the internet) is headed.

This is a sanctuary here.

Jose

But it isn't when you think about it, every 15min you can see the google/bing/yahoo bot crawl across the server parsing all our posts, and they can easily determine our identities. Honestly if you are really worried about Facebook and RIAA and the USGov, then you probably should just go disconnect your modem...


There are two issues IMO, which are quite independent: one is writing the program to draw the graph given only user ids, without any more link over different sites than the occasional pairs of identical ids which by chance correspond to the same person. This is not too hard to do, in the sense that if it is of any use for commercial purposes, then it has probably already been done. The other issue is to ask people to give several of their ids from different sites to the one drawing the graph. This is asking for quite a lot of trust from the users, and I think very few people would give all their ids in one bunch (although somehow related ones such as {xkcd,reddit,slashdot} would probably always appear together).
If we stick to the first program and run it in the few forums where it can give relevant output, then it can be interesting. But the second aspect, gathering ids, is not something I look forward to.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

airdrik
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby airdrik » Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

edfel, and a few others wrote:<snip>stuff about crawling heretical "outside" forums for connections with non-waiters</snip>

What if instead of looking for distances between us and people not associated with the OTT, we do something a little different within the OTT: We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Kieryn - I have a favor to ask! You have so many FABULOUS graphs and stuff, but I forget what they all track sometimes - could you put some kind of explanatory title or paragraph at the top of each page? ... in English for those of us who are non data-geek types?

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:YESCUEBONG
Image
That makes complete sense.

Hmm... maybe it's a suntree?


It... it does?! Cueball, sometimes you just shouldn't open your mouth at all, because when you do, we see glazed babies.

And now I've done a spit take...

We've missed an important corollary here - the little trees probably don't know what they are doing.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Wed May 22, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:ETA: Thinking on it though, you can use any data set to abuse anything really. All the project would do would show how many people link you to another person. You don't need to list through what sites or by what people you are linked to. You could have the controlling log in something like Google so you can grab a "real" ID so you don't get to many people spoofing profiles of someone else to make them look bad... then again how would you make them look bad if the registered name & site are not public.
I would not be comfortable with this [using data from outside xkcd]. There are many ways to slice the data, and it has already been shown (elsewhere) that anonymized data can be easily de-anonymized. I even did it myself, by hand, on one (admittedly smaller) project, getting down to exactly who replied what to which question. It's not a question of making somebody "look bad". It's a question of the fact that your social network by itself says too much about you to make available to commercial entities, who are eager to tailor your experience to their desires. The information needed to create this graph would also lend itself to creating other products, and that is a place I do not want to go.

Umwelt by nature is one thing, but umwelt controlled by facebook or the RIAA is a whole different can of tuna, and that is where the network of connected computers (which includes but is not limited to the internet) is headed.

This is a sanctuary here.

Jose

But it isn't when you think about it, every 15min you can see the google/bing/yahoo bot crawl across the server parsing all our posts, and they can easily determine our identities. Honestly if you are really worried about Facebook and RIAA and the USGov, then you probably should just go disconnect your modem...


There are two issues IMO, which are quite independent: one is writing the program to draw the graph given only user ids, without any more link over different sites than the occasional pairs of identical ids which by chance correspond to the same person. This is not too hard to do, in the sense that if it is of any use for commercial purposes, then it has probably already been done. The other issue is to ask people to give several of their ids from different sites to the one drawing the graph. This is asking for quite a lot of trust from the users, and I think very few people would give all their ids in one bunch (although somehow related ones such as {xkcd,reddit,slashdot} would probably always appear together).
If we stick to the first program and run it in the few forums where it can give relevant output, then it can be interesting. But the second aspect, gathering ids, is not something I look forward to.


Well it would really be up to the users, it isn't like we would go combing (busts out a giant comb) for user id's to do this project, you could register if you wanted and only provide what ever sites/id's you wanted. As for having this collection of ID's you could just encrypt them, and honestly they are all out there in the world as it is, yeah you would loose a little anonymity with participating but the governments of this world are constantly trying to strip that away anyway. But that is getting a little to political for my liking so I am going to stop there.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 22, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

Yes, but it is awfully easy to get a low BlitzGirl number without adding any useful content. If this were done after the end of time as an archaeological project it might have value, but not likely now.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Image

@Baobob treeent - dafuq?
@Stratplayer - connections
@macraw83 - re: booms and yadas
@Earthling On Mars - cuegan sizes


Spoiler:
foilman wrote:BONG!
It's definitely looking at them.


What is this, I don't even.

StratPlayer wrote:I've been doing a little scientific research and I believe I've discovered clear and irrefutable evidence that Angelastic is correct:

Consider this obvious chain of relatedness:

1. The GLR has populated the OTC with trees that appear to be baobabs.

2. Baobab is also the name of a musical group out of Dunham, NC consisting primarily of an artist named Phil Torres, who is also a writer.

3. Phil Torres has also written a book called "A Crisis of Faith - Atheism, Emerging Technologies and the Future of Humanity"

4. A Crisis of Faith is a familiar trope and is a central element in Arthur C. Clarke's short story "The Star".

5. Clarke's "The Star" had a Jesuit priest who was horrified to learn that a nova that eliminated a civilization was the Star of Bethlehem.

6. Bethlehem is also a city in Pennsylvania, named after the birthplace of Jesus shown on by that star, and is also the birthplace of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

7. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson had his first major movie role as "The Scorpion King," first introduced in "The Mummy Returns" and then expanded in the prequel "The Scorpion King".

8. "The Scorpion King" had a soundtrack with the single "I Stand Alone", recorded by the group Godsmack.

9. "I Stand Alone" was recorded at The Hit Factory in Miami, Florida. This studio was formerly known as Criteria Studios.

10. Criteria Studios was where The Allman Brothers recorded the studio parts of their classic album "Eat a Peach".

11. There have been recurring rumors that the name "Eat a Peach" and the album art allude to guitarist Duane Allman's motorcycle death in 1971, but it actually refers to a comment he made when asked by reporter Ellen Mandel of Good Times Magazine, "How are you helping the revolution?" Duane Allman's reply included, "...and every time I'm in Georgia, I eat a peach for peace."

12. Georgia peaches are world-famous and the name is used in many ways. There's even the Georgia Peach Award -- an award for outstanding teen literature.

13. The first Georgia Peach award was awarded in 2005, and was won by "The First Part Last", a book that deals with...

It's obvious what the implications of this are: Angelastic was 100% correct!


It's ALL connected!

macraw83 wrote:I have come across an intruguing idea:[spoiler]
ChronosDragon wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<awesome animation snipped>

Brillilant, ChronosDragon! Maybe YOU could be the one to animate BlitzGirl's fab creation for us.


Humm...I hadn't thought about it like that. Honestly, I'd be honored to, though I'm not sure I could do it justice. First and foremost we'd need clips of all of us singing our lines, so I'd have something to animate to :idea:
I could get behind this.


Oh...right...I'm supposed to be working on that... *shuffles off in the vague direction of photoshop*

Earthling on Mars wrote:A visual of the different zoom levels we have seen Megball at:

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img43/7155/sizeadj.png[/img ]

The first two are from the pre-expansion era, the third from after the expansion, the fourth from recently when they saw the baobab trees, and the last two from when they were walking along the river where it split.

If their smallest selves met up with their largest selves:

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img825/6436/sizecomb.png[/img ]

Of course, the biggest change was this:

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img542/5210/sizebiggest.png[/img ]


This post made me giggle.
Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Wed May 22, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Another avatar for someone who didn't.... I mean, I kept looking at your avatar, edfel, and couldn't help but see it as an Afro. So, I Afrocized it.
edfel.jpg
edfel with an Afro.
edfel.jpg (5.88 KiB) Viewed 14963 times
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
airdrik wrote:We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

Yes, but it is awfully easy to get a low BlitzGirl number without adding any useful content. If this were done after the end of time as an archaeological project it might have value, but not likely now.


Hmm.. the "distance" doesn't have to be symmetric. People at distance 1 would be the ones quoted by blitzgirl, so the easy part is for anyone to give a low blitzgirl number, not to receive one...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

User avatar
Dracomax
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

Well, In the name of science...I used to post under the name of "dwarfmage" in the diary-x fora, when it existed. I was dracomax on Comicgenesis, and am currently dracomax in the wyrd miniatures fora.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 22, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
airdrik wrote:We can look for quote distances between people. e.g. BlitzGirl quoted BuffyGirl so the BlitzGirl - BuffyGirl quote distance is 1, BuffyGirl quoted Helper but BlitzGirl did not quote Helper so the BlitzGirl - Helper distance is 2, etc.
I'm sure Kieryn could put that into his analytics engine without too much trouble.

Yes, but it is awfully easy to get a low BlitzGirl number without adding any useful content. If this were done after the end of time as an archaeological project it might have value, but not likely now.


Hmm.. the "distance" doesn't have to be symmetric. People at distance 1 would be the ones quoted by blitzgirl, so the easy part is for anyone to give a low blitzgirl number, not to receive one...


The main problem with the blitzgirl number idea is that quotes are easily falsified. This forum has no persistence of quotes with actual posts - all that happens is phpbb sets up the quote structure for you, you could easily fabricate one yourself. That's also the flaw with any other system that tries to determine quote relationships - a giant graph is cool because the inconsistencies disappear, but for something like Kieryn's quote-analysis pages, I'm fairly sure his algorithm can't detect when quotes have been altered (for space, spoilerage, or FTFY).
Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time" - "The Story of NewPixBot"

Postby azule » Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:Awesome work! I love the story of NewPixBot so far, and I look forward to seeing the second part (not gonna cheat so I'll have to ketchup to it in the usual way).
Cheating would have been fine. I, partially, spread out the publishing for the sake of length (to not overwealm those with postigo[posting vertigo]).

PhoenixRising wrote:
azule wrote:On the screen is the couple, still walking. They seem to be seeking something just as the man seeks something. For them it appears to be the origin of their life sustaining river. For the man it may well be the very meaning of life.


So many feels. Well written.

I really hope Randall ends time with something like this (if he ever ends it) - some poignant, bittersweet moment. And if he can throw in the meaning of life (beyond the classic 42) I will be happy.
Appreciated, thanks! Glad to hear it made an impact like that....

On the OTC ending, I hope so too. I think there will be some sort of in universe panic before that occurs, so that we feel some relief.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
edfel
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm UTC
Location: On Time

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edfel » Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

azule wrote:Another avatar for someone who didn't.... I mean, I kept looking at your avatar, edfel, and couldn't help but see it as an Afro. So, I Afrocized it.
edfel.jpg

lol! Knowing the original character (google image "armand de maupertuis"), it seems... er ... unlikely to ever see him with this kind of hair.
But well... why not ^^ :)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests