1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

I guess we'll know if Cuegan gets trampled by a herd of molpycows.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
thirds
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Tenrec Burrow NP1254

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Thu May 23, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:
Image

That is a good point, more of a cattle fence then a wall fence.

True, but it's rather thin for something supposed to hold back very large animals. Too tall for a molpy or squirlemur fence.

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I would argue that it is the fenceposts that are regularly spaced, and the vines followed those paths...


If that was supposed to be a fence, it would be no good at keeping anything out (in?)
There's nothing between the posts, and the vines have the right growth/leaf shape to be grapes.
Also, grapevines will keep growing a loooong time, albeit without producing much grapes, after they've been abandoned.

ETA: I've lived near wine country much of my life :)

It could be a (long disused) electric fence.
I still think cultivated plants though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:
Image

That is a good point, more of a cattle fence then a wall fence.

True, but it's rather thin for something supposed to hold back very large animals. Too tall for a molpy or squirlemur fence.


Most cattle fences aren't really there to "hold them back" per se. That is, they don't have to be particularly strong enough to withstand a cow. Cattle will naturally obey them because they don't usually have the desire to exert effort to try going over them (usually not possible) or taking them down.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Ooh, electric fence I like!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

I like this picture about electric fences:

Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

The "rail" is only one pixel high (1/37 q) which makes it less than [heretical]1.8 inches[/heretical] thick assuming a Cueball of average male height. That's a bit thin for rail, but too thick for a wire.

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
thirds wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:
Image

That is a good point, more of a cattle fence then a wall fence.

True, but it's rather thin for something supposed to hold back very large animals. Too tall for a molpy or squirlemur fence.


Most cattle fences aren't really there to "hold them back" per se. That is, they don't have to be particularly strong enough to withstand a cow. Cattle will naturally obey them because they don't usually have the desire to exert effort to try going over them (usually not possible) or taking them down.

Well it is mostly they are to dumb to understand that they can knock it down. That and if you have a stamped they can knock it down without getting to hurt, so you don't have a ton of dead cattle. You just track them down and herd them back into an enclosure.

slinches wrote:The "rail" is only one pixel high (1/37 q) which makes it less than [heretical]1.8 inches[/heretical] thick assuming a Cueball of average male height. That's a bit thin for rail, but too thick for a wire.


With that then I will settle on it being used to grow a hedge.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

And besides, the cattle would just walk round it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

I'm not sure how we would be able to see a "rail" thinner than 1 pixel?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

slinches wrote:The "rail" is only one pixel high (1/37 q) which makes it less than [heretical]1.8 inches[/heretical] thick assuming a Cueball of average male height. That's a bit thin for rail, but too thick for a wire.


Just because it may not be the best built fence doesn't mean it isn't one. Also, since it couldn't exactly be smaller than 1 pixel high, how else could he represent a wire without having to make it a bit thicker proportionally than those in the Outside?

Alternatively, maybe it is more of a cable spanning the posts than a wire.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

Is it the Internet cable?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm not sure how we would be able to see a "rail" thinner than 1 pixel?

By ENHANCE!ing it, of course.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Thu May 23, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
slinches wrote:The "rail" is only one pixel high (1/37 q) which makes it less than [heretical]1.8 inches[/heretical] thick assuming a Cueball of average male height. That's a bit thin for rail, but too thick for a wire.


Just because it may not be the best built fence doesn't mean it isn't one. Also, since it couldn't exactly be smaller than 1 pixel high, how else could he represent a wire without having to make it a bit thicker proportionally than those in the Outside?

Alternatively, maybe it is more of a cable spanning the posts than a wire.

True. Although, a cable that thick would sag unless it's under a lot of tension (and would have needed an anchor on the end of the fence). But, it could be steel tubing.

User avatar
RobIrr
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:17 pm UTC
Location: Salford. UK.
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

I seem to be starting each reading permanently 20 newpages behind at the moment...

So a little bit of a saucy post...

Love the newpixbot stories..

Rule110's American Pie parody - Brilliant.


azule wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Right... Time off to brush Tiddler's hair and get her to school...
Is that her name, or were you saying "toddler"?


Tiddler is just a pet name ... it translates usually to "small person" .. :D


Those Baobab Trees!! Cripes. And Wow! (And mscha's colour version... lovely!)
Image
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

User avatar
lunarul
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:00 am UTC
Location: Buchares, Romania

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lunarul » Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

they just went through it, so it's not an enclosure.. so if it's a fence, it's pretty useless.
it looks exactly like a vineyard to me and the height is just as I know it from my own family's vineyard..
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
slinches wrote:The "rail" is only one pixel high (1/37 q) which makes it less than [heretical]1.8 inches[/heretical] thick assuming a Cueball of average male height. That's a bit thin for rail, but too thick for a wire.


Just because it may not be the best built fence doesn't mean it isn't one. Also, since it couldn't exactly be smaller than 1 pixel high, how else could he represent a wire without having to make it a bit thicker proportionally than those in the Outside?

Alternatively, maybe it is more of a cable spanning the posts than a wire.

True. Although, a cable that thick would sag unless it's under a lot of tension (and would have needed an anchor on the end of the fence). But, it could be steel tubing.


Good point. A cable wouldn't stick out that left end stiffly, so it is clearly neither a wire nor cable. Something stiff.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
Caswallon
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC
Location: Seattle wa
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Caswallon » Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If it's a fence, it might be one like this:
Spoiler:
Image

That is a good point, more of a cattle fence then a wall fence.

Has anyone started scanning Madagascar near the avenue of the Baobobs for cattle fencing or wineries?

Where is the Madagascar XKCD contingent that can go looking for this magical area of the world? ;-)
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Bah. Still no answers. Hmph. But I'll bet they talk in the next frame. They tend to get to the center of a frame in things like this before one of them asks a question about what they're seeing.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

FENCEONG:
Image

Guess we'll just have to Wait for it.

Image
Spoiler:
Vineyard.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Molpy alert! Center of the frame.
Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:FENCEONG:
Image

Guess we'll just have to Wait for it.

Image
Spoiler:
Vineyard.png


haha, nice. and more fence/vines/hedge
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Molpy alert! Center of the frame.
Spoiler:
Image


Fence-molpy!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

On my phone so a bit post-challenged, but: What the hey? A fence-vine???

Once again the OTC throws a curve ball at my expectations.

But it does look possible to limbo under it...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:On my phone so a bit post-challenged, but: What the hey? A fence-vine???

Once again the OTC throws a curve ball at my expectations.

But it does look possible to limbo under it...

Maybe it is an old limbo training camp!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Thu May 23, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:
mscha wrote:Molpy alert! Center of the frame.
Spoiler:
Image


Fence-molpy!

I hope it doesn't eat all of the grapes.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Yay limbo! Unless there are smaller wires below the top one that are thinner than one pixel, and thus unseeable without ENHANCE-ment.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yay limbo! Unless there are smaller wires below the top one that are thinner than one pixel, and thus unseeable without ENHANCE-ment.


I think we would see evidence of the vines growing along them if they were present...

ETA: both me and blitzgril have the same post# of 523... we are connected!

eta2:
Spoiler:
Capture.PNG
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yay limbo! Unless there are smaller wires below the top one that are thinner than one pixel, and thus unseeable without ENHANCE-ment.


I think we would see evidence of the vines growing along them if they were present...

ETA: both me and blitzgril have the same post# of 523... we are connected!


Pppfffttt... That's too easy. Try working "Forbidden Planet" and Canadian football teams into your connection to make it more interesting.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yay limbo! Unless there are smaller wires below the top one that are thinner than one pixel, and thus unseeable without ENHANCE-ment.


I think we would see evidence of the vines growing along them if they were present...

ETA: both me and blitzgril have the same post# of 523... we are connected!


Pppfffttt... That's too easy. Try working "Forbidden Planet" and Canadian football teams into your connection to make it more interesting.

True, but for the record I was not aiming for this, I just randomly noticed. I will do better next time.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
StratPlayer
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yay limbo! Unless there are smaller wires below the top one that are thinner than one pixel, and thus unseeable without ENHANCE-ment.


I think we would see evidence of the vines growing along them if they were present...

ETA: both me and blitzgril have the same post# of 523... we are connected!


Pppfffttt... That's too easy. Try working "Forbidden Planet" and Canadian football teams into your connection to make it more interesting.

True, but for the record I was not aiming for this, I just randomly noticed. I will do better next time.


That's OK. Random connected synchronicity is really the best kind. :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!


(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9122
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Wait a newpix...

Wine...fencing...berets...
Have we all forgotten the French Connection? Image

Never mind the baobabs. Everybody knows they want to be French.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
spamjam wrote:ದೊಡ್ಡ ಗಂಟೆಯಂಥ

This is ridiculous. 15 minutes after posting, I google your ong, and get 5 hits. 3 dictionaries, 1 India Times, and ... this thread.

Transliterates to DADDA GATTAYATHA. That appears to be random letters. All I can say is: ಠ_ಠ


Edit:
RobIrr wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
RobIrr wrote:Right... Time off to brush Tiddler's hair and get her to school...
Is that her name, or were you saying "toddler"?


Tiddler is just a pet name ... it translates usually to "small person" .. :D

Thanks. It does sound similar with a similar meaning. :)
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6896
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Suppose an object moves by 1/3 of a Planck length on each of 10 separate occasions, all in the same direction. Each occasion is a few seconds apart or more.
What does it even mean for something to move one third of a planck length?

Kieryn wrote:I think scientific thinking generally goes along the lines of if something is undetectable or unmeasurable then it doesn't exist. Edit: A good analogue is newpix. We can talk about lengths of time shorter than one newpix, but in reality, we know that true time is quantized to newpix. Talking about newpix 134.34 just doesn't make sense... it's either 134 or 135, there is nothing in between.
Since at the level of QM, existence itself (which is really just a measure of a propensity to interact with something else) is probabilistic, to me it doesn't make sense to say something moved by that much. It makes more sense to say that the chance of interacting with it increased a just a tiny bit more in that direction compared to the opposite direction.

The OTC is quantized, but not stochastic. Reality is stochastic.

BlitzGirl wrote:Overgrown fence? Not sure if the vines are intentional. Unless appearing unintentional is their intent.
I don't see any glare.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
macraw83
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Present (L:13)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 563 of 697
The discovery of vegetation, NP 1172

Recent happenings:
LOTS of dialogue in the OTC
Awesome original music
Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer


Today, I have been doing a bit more of this than usual, saving some time:
StratPlayer wrote:And I'm back, waitin' away once again...

Ketchup summary:

Spoiler:
Saw stuff -- liked it all...

Nonetheless, I have something to respond to:

My first sigcouragement! (or at least the first one I've seen...)
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:Bringer of Baobabs, the Vindicator of Vegetation

Keep going partingLance! You're about to reach the BEST part of the thread!
Congrats on your 100th post macraw83, and BlitzGirlspeed!
BlitzGirl, RobIrr, tman2nd and other blitzers: You can do it!
And it was from Vytron, who is currently (in my Present) a fellow Blitzer, but who apparently has caught up to the Present Present! That may be the most encouraging news of all, since at one point he had a much more daunting Blitz than even I do.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

User avatar
Opiboble
It's Machine Code.
Posts: 690
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC
Location: Alaska, were the outside is always calling...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Opiboble » Thu May 23, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Someguy945 wrote:Suppose an object moves by 1/3 of a Planck length on each of 10 separate occasions, all in the same direction. Each occasion is a few seconds apart or more.
What does it even mean for something to move one third of a planck length?

Kieryn wrote:I think scientific thinking generally goes along the lines of if something is undetectable or unmeasurable then it doesn't exist. Edit: A good analogue is newpix. We can talk about lengths of time shorter than one newpix, but in reality, we know that true time is quantized to newpix. Talking about newpix 134.34 just doesn't make sense... it's either 134 or 135, there is nothing in between.
Since at the level of QM, existence itself (which is really just a measure of a propensity to interact with something else) is probabilistic, to me it doesn't make sense to say something moved by that much. It makes more sense to say that the chance of interacting with it increased a just a tiny bit more in that direction compared to the opposite direction.

The OTC is quantized, but not stochastic. Reality is stochastic.


BlitzGirl wrote:Overgrown fence? Not sure if the vines are intentional. Unless appearing unintentional is their intent.
I don't see any glare.

Jose

Someone must have rubbed babies on it.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

I wonder how lONG that fence is...

Image

EDIT: Appears he's noticed something. He didn't move, but she did.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Image
Ebonite wrote:Group poem! Given the current plot line of the OTC, maybe we should call this "Jabber-walky"?

    'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
    Did dig and tunnel in the ground
    All flighty were the raptorbirds,
    And the beesnakes did abound.
Next verse?

This is the kinda thing I was trying to come up with to go with my Molpy drawing, but gave up because my poetry skills weren't good enough to come up with anything... Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
fhorn wrote:
fatness wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:There are a lot of sub-threads in the OTT, but that is cool. I'm happy to chill when things are discussed in which I have no particular interest.

^^ this ^^

Truthfully, there are times when you all get way over my head but I consider it a mind expanding experience and then move on with what knowledge I managed to glean from it. Admittedly, my 56 year old brain is not as permeable as it used to be so that isn't as often as I'd like but I do keep reading.

However, [heresy] as slow as the OTC moves [/heresy] these distractions and side-trips are inevitable while we wait for itTM. As long as we keep being this civilized and it doesn't turn into cyber-stalking I see nothing wrong with them512.

512at least until the Internet Police show up and order us to evacuate the park.


Hear hear!!! Fatness, I feel the exact same way, particularly about the "you all get way over my head" part. I love to read it all, even (and maybe especially) when I have no clue; I'm taking it all in and, like you, trying to learn a bit here and there. (A long Time ago I did compare myself to the golden retriever in the back seat of the car, head out the window, tongue lolling in the wind, just happy to be along for the ride.)

SO glad I'm not the only one who often feels out of their depth in such an intelligence/knowledge-rich environment. But yeah, even so, that's part of the reason I love this place so much! You expand your own learning, AND this is one of the few places where you can be as super nerdy as you want without anyone judging you :D

kenmelken wrote:...Whatever solution is reached, the third verse basically can write itself, as the original already bears remarkable similarities to the story.
The original:
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.


Proposed rewrite:
They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

FTFY ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 23, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Image
Spoiler:
Ebonite wrote:Group poem! Given the current plot line of the OTC, maybe we should call this "Jabber-walky"?

    'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
    Did dig and tunnel in the ground
    All flighty were the raptorbirds,
    And the beesnakes did abound.
Next verse?

This is the kinda thing I was trying to come up with to go with my Molpy drawing, but gave up because my poetry skills weren't good enough to come up with anything... Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
fhorn wrote:
fatness wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:There are a lot of sub-threads in the OTT, but that is cool. I'm happy to chill when things are discussed in which I have no particular interest.

^^ this ^^

Truthfully, there are times when you all get way over my head but I consider it a mind expanding experience and then move on with what knowledge I managed to glean from it. Admittedly, my 56 year old brain is not as permeable as it used to be so that isn't as often as I'd like but I do keep reading.

However, [heresy] as slow as the OTC moves [/heresy] these distractions and side-trips are inevitable while we wait for itTM. As long as we keep being this civilized and it doesn't turn into cyber-stalking I see nothing wrong with them512.

512at least until the Internet Police show up and order us to evacuate the park.


Hear hear!!! Fatness, I feel the exact same way, particularly about the "you all get way over my head" part. I love to read it all, even (and maybe especially) when I have no clue; I'm taking it all in and, like you, trying to learn a bit here and there. (A long Time ago I did compare myself to the golden retriever in the back seat of the car, head out the window, tongue lolling in the wind, just happy to be along for the ride.)

SO glad I'm not the only one who often feels out of their depth in such an intelligence/knowledge-rich environment. But yeah, even so, that's part of the reason I love this place so much! You expand your own learning, AND this is one of the few places where you can be as super nerdy as you want without anyone judging you :D

kenmelken wrote:...Whatever solution is reached, the third verse basically can write itself, as the original already bears remarkable similarities to the story.
The original:
He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.


Proposed rewrite:
They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

FTFY ;)


Anyone know if a verdict was ever reached on the 3 competing second verses?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BigDaddy » Thu May 23, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

La Petite unseen.

Megan when the dike fell.

The sandcastle when Cueball fell.

Megan and Cueball on the riverbank.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Been lurking the fora for a long time, seeing the creation of an awe inpsiring thread.

Sometimes it seems like it is impossible, but I have been trying to keep up with the flood of posts.

Did I try too hard and fail? I was really hoping the D&J at Tanagra would catch on earlier, almost done watching all of TNG on Netflix. Oh well, something to work on.

Looking forward to Time travelling with everbody.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 102 guests