1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:In a moment of Divine Revelation it has come to me.
These are not snakes, nor are they locusts.
They are Time Flies.

like a:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 17008 times
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:In a moment of Divine Revelation it has come to me.
They are Time Flies.

Reposting because nobody replied to this and I find it awesome.

Well, they do seem to be having fun.
Spoiler:
ttscp wrote:Didn't jjjdavidson say something about time flies like an arrow, or was that just an ambiguous post that I misinterpreted?

Someone did, I think; and I remember seeing time flies pop up a few more times.
I like it too, a very appropriate name. So, from now on they will be species Time Fly, genus Flying Molpy, of the order of Molpy. (Other species in this genus include the Beesnake.)
No idea if I'm doing this right, I was never any good at biology.

Any objections?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Sat May 25, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Dracomax wrote:
Also, I don't think this is prehistoric times--prehistoric man would not have known what a castle was, since we hadn't invented it yet. those castles have to have been made by someone who has at least seen representations of castles vefore. the crenelations are the key, obviously.

[pedantry]* Sorry, the keyhole-shaped features are arrow slits (specifically oilets) not crenellations [/pedantry] :wink:

*Not peasantry, that's something entirely different.

Hey, once this post gets through the mods I'll be at 5 and quoting people on my phone will be a -lot- easier!!!
I was talking about the bits on the top wherein there are rectangles cut from the top(crenels) making a notch shaped pattern, also known as a crenelation. Wikipedia agrees with me:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlement
By building the castle and then cutting the rectangular shapes, they were doing crenelation. Not sure there were any keyhole shapes in the sand castle at all. watch the holy book of Aubron. you'll see.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 25, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Thanks for the continued feedback on my little narrative, guys :D Some very quick coma ketchup (not enough to warrant a photomanip header or spoiler block :P )

Rule110 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

Very nice! The plot thickens...

I could be mistaken, but sometimes it does seem like there's a tiny bit of this going on with the narrative voice. Not so much different time periods, but different character archetypes mixed together. Which isn't a bad thing; creating a unique character makes it more than just genre parody.

Hah, that's because I sometimes slip out of the 1940's new yorker voice in my head by accident. It's hard to keep it up for that long, and I don't do much revision. :P But you're right, I think it is probably a good unintended side effect rather than a bad one.

ttscp wrote:
taixzo wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Maybe this has already been said (I tend to skim, sorry), but the molpyflies/bee-snakes might actually be flying pocket watches...

(blindposting from 704 ish...)

In a moment of Divine Revelation it has come to me.
They are Time Flies.

Didn't jjjdavidson say something about time flies like an arrow, or was that just an ambiguous post that I misinterpreted?

I recall hearing the Time Flies pun before, nevertheless, it is a pretty tolerably good pun!

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:On NP703
charlie_grumbles wrote:A dark, moonless, night with no light pollution is about 7% light or around RGB#181818.

Egad. I just realized I mis-stated that. The tool I was using gives values in decimal. The proper rgb (hex) value is #121212.

How many of you actually care? Ah well. Archaeologists might someday look here.

Actually, that can be useful to know in Harga's House of Ribs. (Harga is obviously one of us.)

Terry Pratchett wrote:[Vimes said:] "Give me some more coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night."
Harga looked surprised. That wasn't like Vimes.
"How black's that, then?" he said.
"Oh, pretty damn black, I should think."
"Not necessarily."
"What?"
"You get more stars on a moonless night. Stands to reason. They show up more. It can be quite bright on a moonless night."
Vimes sighed.
"An overcast moonless night?" he said.
Harga looked carefully at his coffee pot.
"Cumulus or cirro-numbus?"
"I'm sorry? What did you say?"
"You gets city lights reflected off cumulus, because it's low lying, see. Minds you, you can get high-altitude scatter off the ice crystals in---"
"A moonless night," said Vimes, in a hollow voice, "that is as black as that coffee."
"Right!"

Oh, and this sig affects me like an unclosed parenthesis:
Sciscitor wrote:
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1

1 Holmes actually never said this.

Yes! Yes! You are right! But he almost said it!
Dr. Watson wrote:"Excellent!" I cried.
"Elementary," said he.

Ah. I feel better now.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Exodies wrote:Thanks for this handy tip. Now I must start up my big computer and try to sort out the ] problem above.
I do most of my replies in a text editor, and find that most of the time the [ ] mismatches are due to my using the shifted version on one side or another, which is { or }. It's hard to see the difference on my screen, but the computer knows.
Exodies reply wrote:I think the fault was present in the quoted text, as all I'd done was append a plain text reply.

mscha wrote: But to be perfectly frank, ‘pancreas’ isn't one of these. (Sorry...) It's a bit too random, I'd like one that has at least something to do this the OTC (or the OTT's interpretation of the OTC).
You do make a good point there.
Exodies reply wrote:I'd like to repeat my suggestion - an intention of molpies. I'd also like to state the obvious - a molpy can't be seen in a single Frame; only by the heresy of superimposing two moments in Time can they be discovered.

mscha wrote:
Flado wrote:
mscha wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:[xkcd map of the internet]
That could work as well. But that's an even more alien planet than Mars...
Alien?! Mscha, we live here...
You do, perhaps. I don't, the social networking planet is definitely alien to me. Image (I don't even have a Facebook account, and I'll keep that up as long as I can.)
I agree wholeheartedly about facebook, an evil entity to be sure, and will not create a facebook account. But, the OTT is a social network too, and here is where we live. It is the One True Life.
Exodies reply wrote:don't forget - Facebook has a ucim account

speaking of which...
Dracomax wrote:maybe if there were a way to unspoiler things by default for people who don't like them?
Turn scripts off. (Or find and disable that particular one). The spoilers are delivered open, and then a javascript closes them all up for you.

mscha, who seems to be getting the lions share of the responses today, wrote:...(Since a raft was suggested in here, repeatedly, over the hectonewpix.)
I first read that as "over the helicopter". We haven't seen any helicopters here yet. Hmmmmm.
Exodies reply wrote:we have seen a helicopter in the form of an unbroken Tardis disguised as the beginning of a vine row (for those not aquatinted with Tardis tech, a properly functioning one will morph into some object which will fit in with its surroundings)

Jose

Boy that was hard to do on my Paddy, hopes it works out. We appear to have a general consensus (by which I mean a range of views covering all possibilities), there is no official way to post and due to the need for serial kvetching up to avoid seeing the Frames out of sequence there is no way to notice if you are double posting. I think the moderators have understood this; I've never received a warning from them. Maybe we can adopt a form of Non Violent Communication when talking about posting styles. And if one person's posts fill an entire page... Exactly. So what.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Actually, that can be useful to know in Harga's House of Ribs.
(Harga is obviously one of us.)

Terry Pratchett wrote:
Spoiler:
[Vimes said:] "Give me some more coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night."
"Not necessarily."
"What?"
"You get more stars on a moonless night. Stands to reason. They show up more. It can be quite bright on a moonless night."
Vimes sighed.
"You gets city lights reflected off cumulus, because it's low lying, see. Minds you, you can get high-altitude scatter off the ice crystals in---"
"A moonless night," said Vimes, in a hollow voice, "that is as black as that coffee."
"Right!"

Is this the first Diskworld ref here? I can't remember others.

For the record fluffy didn't get named after Hagrid's fluffy (Harry Potter). Different species altogether. :twisted:
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

DIPHTHONGIZE...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 25, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Terry Pratchett wrote:
Spoiler:
[Vimes said:] "Give me some more coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night."
"Not necessarily."
"What?"
Vimes sighed.
"Right!"

Oh, and this sig affects me like an unclosed parenthesis:
Sciscitor wrote:

Yes! Yes! You are right! But he almost said it!
Dr. Watson wrote:"Excellent!" I cried.
"Elementary," said he.

Ah. I feel better now.

Interesting coincidence that you are quoting two of my favorite authors. And though I do know the Holmes quote (it's from "The adventure of the Crooked Man"; maybe because I read all Sherlock Holmes stories so often I can't reliably count), I can't remember the Discworld one (and I've read them all, though most of them only once, with the exception of the Rincewind and the Lancre Witches ones (which I read at least twice).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Tee hee - i said aquatinted

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Interesting coincidence that you are quoting two of my favorite authors. And though I do know the Holmes quote (it's from "The adventure of the Crooked Man"; maybe because I read all Sherlock Holmes stories so often I can't reliably count), I can't remember the Discworld one (and I've read them all, though most of them only once, with the exception of the Rincewind and the Lancre Witches ones (which I read at least twice).

Google assures us: Men at Arms, pg 168
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 25, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:Boy that was hard to do on my Paddy, hopes it works out.
Perhaps not the way you intended.

Since your interstitial replies are included inside an overall quote, they are easy to miss. I did in fact miss them the first time around. I would suggest that rather than quote yourself ("Exodies replies wrote") you simply drop one quote level, leaving a real interstitial reply. It's also easier to do. :)

Exodies wrote:I'd also like to state the obvious - a molpy can't be seen in a single Frame; only by the heresy of superimposing two moments in Time can they be discovered.
No heresy there.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 25, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:Interesting coincidence that you are quoting two of my favorite authors. And though I do know the Holmes quote (it's from "The adventure of the Crooked Man"; maybe because I read all Sherlock Holmes stories so often I can't reliably count), I can't remember the Discworld one (and I've read them all, though most of them only once, with the exception of the Rincewind and the Lancre Witches ones (which I read at least twice).

Hehe, I did not say I could not find it... I just could not remember it!

And to show, that all is connected:
Harga once served love-in-a-canoe-coffee. I leave it to you, my dear fellow waiters to make the connections.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Sat May 25, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
dreiarmumig wrote:OMR I totally dreamt that the OTC ended. Just remembered, and had to post it in case it does end today (yeah, right) and I'll be a prophet.

Weird... I dreamt the same thing. Dunno what the ending was but I dreamed it ended in another fade and then started scrolling credits like a movie was over.

Yeah, weird. Although, considering how much Time we all spend in the OTT, it's probably not as weird that we dream about the OTC. I don't really remember much from my dream either, I think it just said that 'The wait is over' or something and then it faded, no end credits though.
Also, even though the OTC did not end, you were pretty spot on with your prediction here:
Kieryn wrote:Enough to build a raft maybe?
Last edited by dreiarmumig on Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat May 25, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

tenofzero wrote: Canadian Bacon is just like regular Bacon but a little leaner.
Also, now I really want lemonade.

Oddly enough, if you ask for "Canadian Bacon" in Canada, you'll probably get a confused look; or anyway an amused one, if your interlocutor knows the Outside term.

Here, it's "back bacon," and not really all that popular. Most restaurants don't have it, and not all grocery stores. Most bacon is the "streaky" kind, to use the Kiwi term someone referred to earlier.

It's popular in some regions, though. At the local county fair when I was young, the biggest line-ups always formed at a little stand, run by the local Kiwanis club, that sold back bacon on a bun. I'm told that stand's still a big draw. (Was someone else around here talking about sandwiches with bacon as the main ingredient?)

(BlitzPost from NP 657 of 709; just passed my own signpost).
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 25, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ttscp wrote:Assuming they build a raft, do they go straight across or float back down to the seabig and then continue along the shore in search of more rivers which are contributing to the sea rise?

Well, the plan was to cross the river and keep searching, and they haven't said anything about changing those.
That doesn't mean that it'll happen, though: my bet is that they'll get on the raft, and get carried away by the river³, whether they like it or not.

Back at the dunes, we'd come to an agreement (as near as we ever do here) that they couldn't follow the river because it went through some sort of gorge or rough patch. Not a place they want to get into riding on a raft.

ChronosDragon wrote:
ttscp wrote:
taixzo wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Maybe this has already been said (I tend to skim, sorry), but the molpyflies/bee-snakes might actually be flying pocket watches...

They are Time Flies.

Didn't jjjdavidson say something about time flies like an arrow, or was that just an ambiguous post that I misinterpreted?

I recall hearing the Time Flies pun before, nevertheless, it is a pretty tolerably good pun!

It's a typical old Groucho Marx gag: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." I just referenced it in passing.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

MountONGs!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 25, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:MountONGs!

So do we suppose the Mountains are distinct from the Hills and that the People in the Hills are elsewhere in these Hills, or that the Hills and the Mountains refer to the same places and there are People in the Mountains? (And the dunes were just little lumps)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat May 25, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Great dilemma coming up: spend time to build a raft and cross the river, or go into the mountains and play golf.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 25, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

Pretty sure a raft was suggested a while back, like when they were in the dunes. But yeah, it was predicted a number of times, and I think everyone who did so should get points for that. Not that we're keeping track.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

So do we suppose the Mountains are distinct from the Hills and that the People in the Hills are elsewhere in these Hills, or that the Hills and the Mountains refer to the same places and there are People in the Mountains? (And the dunes were just little lumps)

I smell a decision has to be made. Across the river or into the mountains... Let Frodo choose!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat May 25, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

I smell a decision has to be made. Across the river or into the mountains... Let Frodo choose!

I think they'll be afraid to cross with a raft, and I'm pretty sure they want to know more about the people who live around here (presumably on this side of the river...). Making a ladder to go up a baobab and check the surroundings might be a good idea...
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
ttscp wrote:
taixzo wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:

They are Time Flies.

It's a typical old Groucho Marx gag: "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." I just referenced it in passing.

*raises hand*
Rule110 wrote:Oh, and the flying insects could be timeflies. They're fun to watch!

From page 704 (though others might have mentioned it much earlier).
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

@BlitzGirl: Present Presents
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the Present Present!
Not very original, I know, but I love to Boom De Yada!

[img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=36518&mode=view[img]

This makes me happy. I'm changing my avatar to the "I love Newpages" panel, in part because it's a mention of me (yey! <3 ) but also because you can see the top of mscha's "I love the Newpixbot" avatar at the bottom of the panel, which means there's a Present Present avatar inside a Present Present avatar. Such wonderful recursion!
Also, sorry if I seemed a little angry with my input on BlitzGirl numbers. I was just getting a little worried that it could end up going in the wrong direction if people took it too seriously. Didn't mean to offend people or delay Present Presents. :oops:

@azule: how do javascript???
Spoiler:
azule wrote:This is a script (bookmarklet) for Sciscitor's wonderful Quote Constellation. Of course, this only works with the SVG.

Description: Click on nodes (or names) and arrowed connection will be minimized to just those of that person. Click another person and the same for them. Click the same person and all connections are restored. It is a large file with hundreds of nodes, so it does take a bit to refresh. Your system may vary.

This is a screenshot (zoomed in) of the script in use with my node. You could almost play a game clicking from person to person finding where the connections end.
ott.png

Hope y'all know how to use this:

Code: Select all

javascript:var%20ottUser,svg=document.documentElement,style1,clickTxt='\n\t\t#nodes%20circle,#node-labels-outline%20text,#node-labels%20text{cursor:pointer;}\n',showOnly=function(oU){if(ottUser==oU){style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';}else{ottUser=oU;style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t\t#edges%20path,#arrows%20polyline{visibility:hidden;}\n'+'\t\t#edges%20path.'+ottUser+',#arrows%20polyline.'+ottUser+'{visibility:visible;}\n\t';}};(function(){var%20gEls=document.getElementsByTagName('g'),i,gChl,j;if(svg.getElementsByTagName('style').length==0){svg.insertBefore(document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg','style'),document.getElementById('edges'));};if(svg.getElementsByTagName('style').length==1){svg.insertBefore(document.createElementNS('http://www.w3.org/2000/svg','style'),document.getElementById('edges'));};style1=svg.getElementsByTagName('style')[1];style1.textContent=clickTxt+'\t';for(i=gEls.length-1;i>=0;i--){gChl=gEls[i].getElementsByTagName('*');for(j=gChl.length-1;j>=0;j--){gChl[j].setAttribute('class',gChl[j].getAttribute('class').replace(/([0-9]+)/g,'u$1'));};};})();svg.addEventListener("click",function(e){var%20tar=e.target;if(tar.hasAttribute('class')&&tar.getAttribute('class').search(/u[0-9]+$/)===0){showOnly(tar.getAttribute('class'));};},false);

Though if someone wants to greasemonkey it, that'd be cool.

Edit: Sciscitor, Is there any way to get an updated version of the ott.svg (or, maybe just the secret to making it)?

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).

@everyone in general: thoughts on postlengths, snipping, and spoilers (I promise I'm not mad this time :oops: )
Spoiler:
The advantage of multitopic posts being divided up into several spoilered segments is that if there's a certain sub-conversation you aren't particularly interested in or don't have anything to contribute to, it's easier to filter those out and pay attention to the conversations that you can help move forward. By the time I caught up to the present back when the Lego/Legos conversation was going on, everything I could have contributed had already been said, and had been said better than I could have said it. I still skimmed those posts, but if I had participated, my posts would have consisted of little more than simply "seconded" or "what {so-and-so} said." And, of course:
The Forum Rules wrote:6. Please keep posts entirely consisting of "QFT" or "seconded", "thirded", etc. at a minimum. If you don't have anything to contribute to the conversation, then by all means don't.

The problem is that sometimes a sub-conversation that you aren't able to effectively contribute to shifts to a place where you can contribute, and you miss out on that by not opening the spoiler/reading the post. So spoilering separate responses within a single post is something that should just be left up to personal choice. Some of us do, some of us don't, but it really doesn't matter.
As for double-posting:
The Forum Rules wrote:To clarify, double posting refers to any two posts in a row made by you, even if they have completely different content. If you’re addressing multiple people, all your replies go in the same post. You are able to easily quote as many people as you like by scrolling through the thread review and hitting the quote button, so there should be no excuses.

The only time double posts may be permitted is to bump threads.

They've a little lenient on us with this one, but that doesn't mean we should exploit that. If they don't pursue our double-posts, it's not an all-clear from them on posting twice in a row (or three times, as several users have done before). Even if it's been ten minutes since your last post, edit your next response in or take the time to wait for someone else to post something (ONGs excluded, so everyone sees them). It's still going to be seen (after all, we've all had to ketchup at some point). It doesn't matter if you have to go to the most recent Newpage to see if the last post is yours. Aversion to seeing what topic the conversation has moved on to shouldn't take precedence over what is clearly stated in the forum rules. I've seen multiple of frames out of sequence, it hasn't harmed my enjoyment of this comic and this thread (I even had to skip over an entire page, and all the ONGs contained within it, because my browser decided that specific page was full o' malware. I finished ketching up and viewed the frames on one of the sites that has complied them).
If you're ketching up and have multiple things to respond to, then put them all in a single post. Even if you have to open several tabs worth of posts to quote, and end up with a lengthy post at the end.
And finally, snipping:
It doesn't take that much effort to do, really. Not enough to merit quoting an entire, unspoilered ketchup post to respond to a single sentence at the end. Even on a mobile platform, where you can't select a block of text taller than the response window, it can be done pretty quickly (about half of my posts come from a mobile device). Especially if you are responding to a multi-topic posts, removing the lengthy parts of the post that aren't needed not only makes your response easier to understand by removing unnecessary information but also will make more users willing to read the post because it's not overly long. And if your response is remarking on the length of the quoted post, you can simple replace "<snip>" with something along the lines of "<wall of text>." If the part you aren't responding to is only a few lines long, leaving it in is fine, but long blocks of text you aren't responding to are just unnecessary clutter (as they have already appeared in the post you are quoting). If the part you're responding to is lengthy as well, you can do with it what you want: spoiler or snip the parts that aren't vital, or leave the text in full.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

And are the mountains actually made out of molpyhills?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Harga once served love-in-a-canoe-coffee. I leave it to you, my dear fellow waiters to make the connections.

If only cmyk were here, he'd probably make another animation similar to the "final frames" he revealed back in the sandcastle epoch.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat May 25, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

If only cmyk were here, he'd probably make another animation similar to the "final frames" he revealed back in the sandcastle epoch.

I'd step up to the proverbial plate, if I weren't about to go [heretical]leave for a 24 hour coding competition[/heretical]! I'd say there's at least a 40% chance my project ends up referencing Time in some way :P

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sat May 25, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles, kenmelken mentioned the Rite of AshkEnte in his ‘I'm ENGAGED!’ post, and at least one other person referred to it in response. Pretty sure there've been a couple of others :D

Dracomax, I was being silly about the crenellations, arguing that you were thinking of arrow slits instead; sorry I wasn't clear about that /:

By the way, congratulations, kenmelken! May you each have the joy your beloved wishes for you!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Build the raft, carry it into the mountains, shoot the rapids. By far the most exciting path.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat May 25, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

@ChronosDragon - guitar dragon
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:
SBN wrote:
astrocub wrote:I'm still brain-blown by the fact that you managed to connect dracomax to himself! :D [/s]
ETA: Right, time for me to coma when I'm getting time dragons and guitar raptors mixed up. :oops:

Just watch out for the time raptors. Guitar dragons are cool though.

Damn. Google images has some cool results for "guitar dragon".

I want it! I want it! I don't even play guitar, but I want it!

@newpixbot - ONGing
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:SINGSONGED...

-- posted by newpixbot

Ah, I wasn't here to ruin it for you this time, newpixbot!

(Should it bother me that I've begun to think of newpixbot as a sentient entity?)

@Vytron - markings on the tree
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:
ucim wrote:[close-up on the treetrunk] where Vytron is carving the words:
"Vytron was here."

Aha! We now know what the markings on the tree are!

-image-

That made me smile! ¦-)

:) I've just realized something: First, BlitzGirl appeared in the comic in the form of LaPetite. Now, Vytron was in the comic too, carving his name on a tree. Apparently BlitzGirls have a special ability to enter the OTC! :o

@ChronosDragon - The Case of the Little River
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:The Case of the Little River
Or, Une Petite Noire

-snip-

-----

It's still friday night here! Heh. Got in just in time. Also, someone reaaaly needs to go fix that spoiler that's messing up the page...

You were a couple hours late in my timezone. Still good, though. Cueball suddenly doesn't seem like such a nice guy now...
(I'm kinda wondering what a "coat goat" is though. :wink: )

@newpixbot - another important ONG
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:BELONGERSHIPS...

-- posted by newpixbot

I'm rather surprised newpixbot had to post an ONG this important though, even in a slow time. Where was everybody? :|

@BlitzGirl - the Present Present
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the Present Present!
Not very original, I know, but I love to Boom De Yada!

-⁴ image-

(You can see why I was a bit leery to post this when there was discussion about how the OTT should be about the OTC rather than the OTT!)

Yay, a Present Present! And my tiny Cueball is even in it.

And I, for one, am fine with some meta-discussion, as long as we don't completely forget the OTC.

@SBN - time since the beginning of Time
Spoiler:
SBN wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:MidnightONG
(at least over here)

Which makes it 2 Outsider months since the beginning of Time.

Only two months? It feels like it's been going forever. Actually I suppose it has; there was nothing before Time.

@mscha - collective molpies
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Regarding the ongoing debate over the cancer of molpy collective noun suggestions:
lmjb1964 wrote:I like the sound of a WHOMP of molpies, but pancreas is pretty silly and so probably gets my vote. If we're still voting.

Hooray for continuing to keep the pancreas coalition alive! Keep fighting the good fight.

I've seen a lot of good suggestions, and I'd be happy with most of them. (I still prefer ‘waiting’, but that's probably just because I came up with it...) But to be perfectly frank, ‘pancreas’ isn't one of these. (Sorry...) It's a bit too random, I'd like one that has at least something to do this the OTC (or the OTT's interpretation of the OTC).

I for one still like a "waiting of molpies".

@Dracomax, mscha - rafts, castles
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:Let's get back to the OTC for a bit...

And finally, OMR, this is PROOF, once again, that RANDALL is READING the OTT!!1! (Since a raft was suggested in here, repeatedly, over the hectonewpix.)

To be fair, if no bridge exists, it is the most obvious way to cross the river. It's not all that likely that either of them are shipwrights with a fully stocked shipyard behind them--otherwise, they'd have just sailed around the sea to figure out where the water came from.

Also, I don't think this is prehistoric times--prehistoric man would not have known what a castle was, since we hadn't invented it yet. those castles have to have been made by someone who has at least seen representations of castles vefore. the crenelations are the key, obviously.

Cueball mentioned a raft back in frame 1386:

It seems to me the most plausible theory is that the setting is post-apocalypse. Explains how they'd know about castles and crenellation, but also why there'd be many tribes living in tents, and they wouldn't know much about the present world.

⁴: neat

[edited to remove way too much whitespace]

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 25, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:As for double-posting:
The Forum Rules wrote:To clarify, double posting refers to any two posts in a row made by you, even if they have completely different content. If you’re addressing multiple people, all your replies go in the same post. You are able to easily quote as many people as you like by scrolling through the thread review and hitting the quote button, so there should be no excuses.

The only time double posts may be permitted is to bump threads.

They've a little lenient on us with this one, but that doesn't mean we should exploit that. If they don't pursue our double-posts, it's not an all-clear from them on posting twice in a row (or three times, as several users have done before). Even if it's been ten minutes since your last post, edit your next response in or take the time to wait for someone else to post something (ONGs excluded, so everyone sees them). It's still going to be seen (after all, we've all had to ketchup at some point). It doesn't matter if you have to go to the most recent Newpage to see if the last post is yours. Aversion to seeing what topic the conversation has moved on to shouldn't take precedence over what is clearly stated in the forum rules. I've seen multiple of frames out of sequence, it hasn't harmed my enjoyment of this comic and this thread (I even had to skip over an entire page, and all the ONGs contained within it, because my browser decided that specific page was full o' malware. I finished ketching up and viewed the frames on one of the sites that has complied them).
If you're ketching up and have multiple things to respond to, then put them all in a single post. Even if you have to open several tabs worth of posts to quote, and end up with a lengthy post at the end.

But why is double posting against the forum rules? I know it is, so that's fine, but knowing why might be nice. It is easy to tell who posted last, by going to the index page, where it says. I don't really like posts that get edited much after the initial posting though, I do often miss the editing. Going to "First Unread Post" doesn't account for editing since you read it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

SBN - That was a double post. Dunno how it happened, but two identical with same time stamp.

I don't know the reason for the rule. This thread is my first dive into the echochamber, but it keeps the bots at bay at least. I shudder to consider a posting bot.
bot
bot
bot

[speculation]Probably just about fairness, in reality, though it may also help stamp out flames that might arise (elsewhere, of course). [/speculation]
-- Charlie Grumbles

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 25, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:@everyone in general: thoughts on postlengths, snipping, and spoilers (I promise I'm not mad this time :oops: )

Not exactly an example of Non Violent Communication. We learn from this that you aren't posting from a phone; I suspect you would change your methodology if you were. You are unconcerned by seeing the latest Page out of sequence, other people have a different view. I think the official rules are enforced by requests to the moderators from normal posters, so there's no need to worry about a clampdown on double posts if we are comfortable with them.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 25, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

CONGAING...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:SBN - That was a double post. Dunno how it happened, but two identical with same time stamp.

I don't know the reason for the rule. This thread is my first dive into the echochamber, but it keeps the bots at bay at least. I shudder to consider a posting bot.
bot
bot
bot

[speculation]Probably just about fairness, in reality, though it may also help stamp out flames that might arise (elsewhere, of course). [/speculation]

You could be right. And I don't know what happened to make my previous a duplicate. A complete coincidence I assure you. If it keeps happening I'll try switching browsers or something. Technically, we have a posting bot, but it's well-behaved, I've grown to like it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat May 25, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?
-- Charlie Grumbles

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

Well, <OCDmode> all we know for certain is that, if Holmes said "Elementary, my dear Mr. Watson," that Watson never wrote that down in any of the recorded conversations. We don't know what they said the rest of the time.
</OCDmode>
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 25, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine came from a frustrating attempt to find an available handle on ... ebay, I think? Tried all my usual ones, tried variations on them, didn't like the "+988471" options that ebay suggested. Started trying ones that reflected my frustration. "Toxic" was taken, so I threw in "poxic". Lo, it was free.

Later I found out that it's an actual word (sort of), and that it's used by at least one other person.

(Wait, I just linked to the other poxic. Is this going to cause a divide-by-zero error in the universe?)
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Interesting coincidence that you are quoting two of my favorite authors.

That's not a coincidence. You see:

1. Sherlock Holmes lived on Baker Street.

2. White Beret Guy likes bakeries.

3. A white beret is also worn by LaPetite.

4. As I proved on page 589, LaPetite is a hairdresser in Nyköping, Sweden.

5. Nyköping means "new town", which is the origin of the name "Newton".

6. Newton Pulsifer is a character in Good Omens.

7. Good Omens was written by Neil Gaiman and ... wait for it ... Terry Pratchett!

You see? It's all related.

(Hm. This was harder than I thought.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”