1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 6:35 am UTC

You're right, newpixbot is probably a little resentful. Having to wait 10 minutesH while humans post imperfect ONGs would make me a bit grumpy, too.

What kind of bribes might it like? I'm sure we can do better than cake.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:37 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Apologies for fouling up the line from "Aqualung" . I'll donate to the fund to correct Mary's vision.

I had been wond'ring aloud about your earlier attempt.

charlie_grumbles wrote:We have to be careful about the use of our tools. (leaving an opening for Kazza3) ((again))(((recursively)))

Nah, she didn't say that, 'careful' isn't the word I'd use to describe how they use their tools.

And great present present, Blitzgirl!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 26, 2013 6:40 am UTC

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:10:01 pm UTC, spamjam wrote:NEWPIXBOTTEASEONG

That was indeed close. Approximately 2 seconds until newpixbot. Congrats. But, be nicer to our robot friend. :P
[and then later: 11:10:03] .... Are you using a bot now too, spamjam???

HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@azule: how do javascript???

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).
Alright, two ways to do this. After loading ott2.svg:
  1. Copy the block-o-code and paste it into the address bar, press enter, and wait.
  2. Save the block-o-code into a bookmark. [Make a new bookmark, paste into location field, give it a name.] Press bookmark. (This activates code the same as 1., but is conveniently ready for next load.)
When the cursor becomes a hand when over nodes, the script is ready. Press and have fun.
One more step if you've got the code editing skills:
    3. This code can be set up at the bottom of the svg file (with a few changes) and then its ready when the svg loads. Ask and I can give you the real details on that.
I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome.

Do I paste the code after "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg," or does it replace the address? Whenever I try adding it to the end, I get a dropbox 404 error page, and when I replace the address, it interprets it as a google search query and hands me a 414 error for it being too long.

It would be the second method you said. Replacing the address. I think what happens on Chrome is the "javascript:" part doesn't paste, so just type it in then paste the code. That should do the trick.
Thanks! This is really cool!

I'm glad someone's trying it. It is pretty cool. The untangleable mess mass was cool but sorta hiding the info it contained. I was thinking of adding some sort of multi-node setup, like a chain reaction thing, to see all the connected users, like the cmyk numbers.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 am UTC

IntriguONG
First time they've cut back to a previous frame.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 am UTC

azule wrote:IntriguONG
Spoiler:

Time for some mscha-molpy-checking-compares.

Sheldon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:With all this newpixbot activity, perhaps it is gaining sentience? I do hope it winds up with a pro-human attitude.

I'm not sure how kind it'll be as spamjam has 'teased' it for the last two newpix and the only time it gets to post is when other people are slacking. I can't say that it seems like a good grounding for a sympathetic robot overlord. :(
I'd offer cakes but my mobile device will forget what it was tasked with.

Hey, I can be bribed with cakes, or any other tasty morsels for that matter, to let newpixbot take a turn once in a while.

azule wrote:
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:10:01 pm UTC, spamjam wrote:NEWPIXBOTTEASEONG

That was indeed close. Approximately 2 seconds until newpixbot. Congrats. But, be nicer to our robot friend. :P
[and then later: 11:10:03] .... Are you using a bot now too, spamjam???

I (un?)fortunately don't seem to have much of an Outside Life, and since the OTT is kinda slow, I thought I'd see how close I could get and not be newpixbot-ninja'd. Hard to get much closer me thinks.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 am UTC

^^ Ah. Okay. Testing the limits. Cool. I don't think it could get much closer. I have to wonder how newpixbot knows not to post on that very second. mscha must have the best internet in the world!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 am UTC

spamjam wrote:I've had a "spam" account since 1987 (longish story in itself). My initials are jam.

My initials are letters.

ETA oh my, thingy boose isn't here:
Users browsing this forum: Exodies, Magdiragdag, mindonner, Minismism, mk_chem, rvloon and 12 guests
Last edited by Exodies on Sun May 26, 2013 7:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Sun May 26, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Definitely a molpy running down the tree!

(and yes, I've been lurking this thread since the dawn of Time, but a chance to be a molpy-spotter finally spurred me to register...)

ggh

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby ggh » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ggh wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:He does like potatoes, just in the form of French Fries (which are not as good as Flemish fries IMHO. Preferably with mayo that's a bit sour, no salt and a bit of white pepper. That just tastes awesome. We need more places that sell that, even the ones who make decent Flemish fries don't know there should be white pepper on it instead of salt. Hmm, I am getting hungry now.1

1)

OMR, that sounds so good! Somehow, I am going to try that.

Don't overdo the pepper. I like my food spicy, but this should only be a pinch. I have tried bell pepper powder, as it is even less spicy and tastes more of pepper, but that doesn't seem to fit as perfectly as white pepper, which has the correct balance between spicy and pepper-tasting for this IMHO.

Of course you can change the "recepie"1 to taste.

1It's a bit small to constitute as a real recepie.23
2Huh? A real footnote? What the ...?
3Cool, that works. A sub in a sup! Somehow it feels a bit dirty though.

While I am ketchupping in Time, I am holding the ketchup and partaking of Neil's recommended fries. Very tasty!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 26, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Interesting that we are following Megan now and not Cueball.

spamjam wrote:
Spoiler:
Sheldon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:With all this newpixbot activity, perhaps it is gaining sentience? I do hope it winds up with a pro-human attitude.

I'm not sure how kind it'll be as spamjam has 'teased' it for the last two newpix and the only time it gets to post is when other people are slacking. I can't say that it seems like a good grounding for a sympathetic robot overlord. :(
I'd offer cakes but my mobile device will forget what it was tasked with.
Hey, I can be bribed with cakes, or any other tasty morsels for that matter, to let newpixbot take a turn once in a while.

I wonder if we can teach newpixbot to make waffles, like this robot:
Spoiler:

Then we would all be happy! Or not. Or yes!

Also, why did this come up in my image search, Hal? It must all be related.
Spoiler:

And now it's Time to coma coma coma coma coma chamelemolpy...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 8:04 am UTC

azule wrote:First time they've cut back to a previous frame.

Not true. Cueball returned after finding the first deserted fireplace and the berries.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sun May 26, 2013 8:07 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
ergman wrote:Alright. I did a Sestina. It wasn't easy, but damn if if was fun. I went for the 11 syllables per line rule as well, though apparently that isn't mandatory. Suffice to say I did a lot of counting on my fingers:
Sestina: 'Pretty Neat'

I am hugely impressed─this is full of wonderful images, well-chosen words, and real poetry. It's humbling that I can throw out a less-than-half-serious suggestion─for something that in perfect seriousness I have no ambition at all to try myself─and get back such a gorgeous response.

It's a little scary, too. What if I suggested that we do an adaptation of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, with one story for each character...

We'd have to start with the Prologue, of course, and there's what, 25 or 30 characters in it? So far we only have Cueball and Megan and la Petite; maybe we should throw in the molpies and the birds and the molpyflies. And we don't know if it's Aprille or not; should we fudge that or just make up our own season? Oh, dear...

Maybe be a little bit less ambitious, but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:08 am UTC

REVERSONG

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sun May 26, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Technically, it's the first time we're following Megan back when she goes to stock up rather than staying with Cueball and/or the scene.

Is she going to walk all the way back to the castle and the theoretical Home Depot beyond it? That'll take a while.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@Everyone: "BlitzGirl numbers," and an important reminder.
Kieryn wrote:...This would be an interesting power given to BlitzGirl if when she returns...

i don't mean to be rude, but I think we need to stop a moment and ask ourselves: What is this thread about?
...I'm just a person sitting in front of a screen. So is BlitzGirl, Valarya, tman2nd, Kieryn, Red Hal, Vytron, Opibobble, jetpac, KarMann, Exodies, Tometheus, Selcouth, Ace, davidy, EternalDensity, and everyone else who's ever lurked and posted on this forum (don't worry, I care about you guys too, I just don't feel like listing all of this forum's users). None of us should be treated differently than any other.

And the rest of my kvetchup:

I tend to agree with Hal for the most part. I have been impressed by BlitzGirl's wit, wisdom, creativity and even-handed community building. And I could say the same about many others in this thread. I hope I have taken the opportunity to do so as I've been posting, but I'm sure I've come up short. But the BlitzGirl numbers are heading down a blind alley.

I like the thread analysis. It's a way for us to look in the mirror and see the fabric of the community. But the fabric is definitely a web, not a tree, although it's definitely neat ;-)

Good! I can show off my Old Fartiness yet again. In a male-dominated world, especially in a nerd-community, there will always be a gravitation towards the bubbly-outgoing-type of girl (apologies to {Blitz|Buffy}Girl in advance for this grave generalilzation - I do like your contributions, it's just natural magnetism). It is no different here. On the other hand, I think we can avoid the All-Hail-BG syndrom (Stockholm, anyone ;-)) as we pretty much have demonstrated so far.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 8:18 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:

Technically, it's the first time we're following Megan back when she goes to stock up rather than staying with Cueball and/or the scene.

Is she going to walk all the way back to the castle and the theoretical Home Depot beyond it? That'll take a while.

Prolly just gathering grapes. I hope she puts the molpy observation platform in her bag.

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time to grow older"

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 8:31 am UTC

As it's my birthday weekend, I saved you some pixels from the cakes I had in my office on Friday. I should have asked everyone to come at the same time; they drifted in and out all day, I didn't get much Tread updatingwork done.
image.jpg
Birthday cakelets

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:REVERSONG
Spoiler:

I can't help it, but the tree does look a bit like this1:
800px-Spiny_Forest_Ifaty_Madagascar.jpg
Madagascar Spiney forest

1 Courtsey of Wikipedia
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
spamjam wrote:I've had a "spam" account since 1987 (longish story in itself). My initials are jam.

My initials are letters.

Really? Let me guess: Leonard Eric Timmy-Tommy Endeavour Ronson-Smythe?
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 am UTC

No ONG in particular

SBN wrote:But why is double posting against the forum rules? I know it is, so that's fine, but knowing why might be nice. It is easy to tell who posted last, by going to the index page, where it says. I don't really like posts that get edited much after the initial posting though, I do often miss the editing. Going to "First Unread Post" doesn't account for editing since you read it.

I assumed that it was a way to keep someone from hogging a forum, and posting in a way that prevents other people from posting. No idea if that's true or not.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
Exodies wrote:

My initials are letters.

Really? Let me guess: Leonard Eric Timmy-Tommy Endeavour Ronson-Smythe?

No, silly! Tommy-Timmy.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 am UTC

New ONG?

ETA: I wasn't sure at first it was a different picture. Megan moved a little, though. And I thought I saw something move in the tree, but I'm not sure now.

Edit 2: Only 3 of us on right now, and MobTeeseBoose isn't one of them.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

tman2nd

Chapter 11 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sun May 26, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Hey everyone. I just encountered my first blitzpost. To celebrate I'm going to start blitzposting again. Here it goes! :D

Progress: 555/713

It appears some people were a little upset about blitzposts soon after I left. However, others encouraged blitzers like me to continue to provide updates, so I will continue.

Past post replies.
Spoiler:
Right after my goodbyeong, BlitzGirl herself offered these words of encouragement.
BlitzGirl wrote:Not the gender-neutral pronouns again! Look, I shall distract you with this comment concerning the OTC:
I don't know if you should be kicking Cueball in the head, Megan: that might just make the brain-eating amoeba angrier. :shock:

tman2nd wrote:I have decided that I am going to Blitzgirl the 1931 pages I haven't read in the beginning. See you all in the future!
*Suddenly a portal from page 194 appears!*2

1 Not that far from when Blitzgirl herself started
2 To be used when I Ketchup with my first post.

Hope to see you again some Time, good luck, brave adventurer! :)

It should be noted1 that I started posting2 in the OTT when my first signpost appeared on newpage 223, chronicling3 my Quest and my then-location in the past, which was newpage 77.4

1. Maybe it shouldn't.8
2. As to when I started as in "joined the fora" - that happened in 2010.7
3. That word looks wrong for some reason but perhaps I just need to coma?6
4. I have read the newpages 1-76, but did not start signposting until 77.
5. What?10
6. Yes.9
7. No.5
8. Have I started talking to myself in the footnotes?6
9. Just go coma. For everyone's sake.
10. That's Outsider reckoning. Just say Pre-Time, and everyone should understand.8

I actually saw this before I went back, but it was nice to see it again when I came back.

Sigcouragement from Vytron.
Vytron wrote:RobIrr, tman2nd and other blitzers: You can do it!

Thanks! I see you've caught up with the present! I find it funny that I'm now receiving encouragement from the two former blitzers who I have given sigcouragement to in the past. I'm even depicted as encouraging these two in my panel of Blitzgirl's song. :P
yappobiscuits wrote:
Exodies wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:<snip>
Edit: oh. The instrumental I have is longer than the original. Anyone wanna write a fourth verse? :D Or it could just keep going "boom de yada" for a slightly awkwardly long amount of time...

I could do you a custom instrumental track if you want :) (I'm a musician/composer/producer type dude, not that anyone would know that yet as I haven't really properly introduced myself on these fora... but hey, you know now!)

Sure, whip it out as Frank would say. I think everyone would be delighted to hear it.

Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

Good job! :D Has someone written another verse? I've seen a few avatars that seem to be new images from this song.
AluisioASG wrote:I believe she rose to power after 1) giving me a sleeper hat and 2) selling her soul (and who knows what else1) to the mods demons.

Now that I've seen the madnessRECKONING I get the "mods demons" reference. I'm glad I took my journey into the past. Now I just have to make it back to the present.

Cuegan1 12 has now spoken of the people in the hills2. I love the mysterious and adventurous tone the OTC has taken. This is nothing like what I would I expected when I first started waiting3. Until next blitzpost!

1 I believe that's the first4 time I've used that word.
2 Who's things come down Cuegan's1 river when it gets too big5.
3 Waiting for what?6
4 Replace with second if you came here via footnote #27
5 Still not as big as the sea8 or the other river9.
6 It, of course!10
7 Here2
8 Big.
9 Which looks different.
10 See BlitzGirl footnote #811.
11 In the post above.
12 Cueball specifically.
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:13 am UTC

molpy.png
Go Minim go!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:With Platonix's fourth verse, our JabberWalky so far:

Jabber-walky

Spoiler:
'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
Did dig and tunnel in the ground
All flighty were the raptorbirds,
And the beesnakes did abound.

Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

And as in thought they let Time pass,
The MolpyRabtor, bird-and-hare,
Came hopping/flying through the grass,
And screeched to see them there!

And may I offer:

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal trebuchet went thwack!
The RabtorBird fled with its head
And never lookéd back.

Or the second line could be
‘The trebuchet went snicker-snack!’

and if we want to get silly the final two lines could be:

‘The RabtorBird fled sans it's head
And Cuegan had a snack.’

but that doesn't fit with what we've seen in the OTC

-RabtorBird is interchangeable with MolpyMur

Perhaps
‘The RabtorBird fled with its head
And Cuegan had no snack.’
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:28 am UTC

ETA: My response here was more reactionary than it should have been due to Outside stress and lack of coma. Take it with a grain of salt.

Finally had a some time to plow through and get caught up. Not the most fun ketchup, since one of the first things I came across was this:

Exodies wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* <snipped to remove the rest of the "mess.">

Will you look at that mess? This is the result of the site bullies bullying. If he had only done the sensible thing and made one post per point I could have replied to the one point I was inspired by (the quoted bit of Vytron) without a lot of snipping and spoilering with all its attendant bringing down the Internet due to unmatched tags. And another thing. Information folding is never a good idea. Keep spoilers for when you're really in danger of spoiling something for someone. If scrolling is a problem for you that doesn't mean you should order everyone else to shrink their stuff - get a touch pad; scrolling will become fun.

I guess I'm the "he" that should have "done the sensible thing"? (For the record, I'm a she, which you might have guessed from my avatar, but maybe not.) I know after reading the rest of the thread that other people have talked about this, and a lot of people are in favor of multiquote posts and others are not. As with everything on this thread. I guess what got me is that this felt really personal. It didn't help that shortly afterwards I came across this post:

Exodies wrote:
azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:*drags furniture in front of the door* There, that should keep the Outside at bay for a few minutes.
<snip/>
<snip>
And, damn, has everyone here been in a movie or written a scientific paper? I haven't done either. :( *feels unsmart/uncool*

Cheer up, azule. Writing a scientific paper is merely a chore some people have to do to keep their job. Being in a movie means that you have the patience to hang around for days doing nothing.

and since I had just said that I did both of those things, I began to wonder if Exodies had something against me. I'm probably just over-reacting; it's been a long day and week (sorry, not in the mood to worry about heresy at the moment), and I should be in bed. But I spend a lot of time on my posts, trying to figure out how to make them more concise, trying to add something interesting, and it's disheartening to get that reaction. Guess I know a little of how Vytron felt.

Anyway, like I said, it's probably just me, so I'll leave it. Except to say that, Azule, of course you're smart AND cool.

Blitzgirl gave us an awesome present present,thanks!, and there's been lots of cool stuff and discussions, and interesting dialogue in the OTC. I feel badly that I haven't really contributed anything very concrete to the OTT.

If anyone's interested, I explain my username here.

Kieryn, on your site, you have that list of posts not counted due to parse errors, and I have some posts on there. Is there something I need to fix?
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun May 26, 2013 10:33 am UTC

Woohoo, new fancy animated avatar combining my original buffygirl-hatted otter with BlitzGirl's latest effort :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I feel badly that I haven't really contributed anything very concrete to the OTT.

I don't know how to measure contribution. Number of posts? New ideas? Or maybe, friendliness to others?
I for one, like it when I see your avatar. I know I'm going to read something interesting.

MolpySquirrel!
Zorin_75 wrote:
molpy.png

Squirrel?
(Squirrel != Molply)?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun May 26, 2013 10:53 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Finally had a some time to plow through and get caught up. Not the most fun ketchup, since one of the first things I came across was this:
<snip>

If I get excited about something, I don't want to make you feel bad about it just because you're the trigger. It could have been any of many person's convoluted mega post that I had problems to reply to; It could have been anyone's work habits I chose to make sound dull.

Sorry about the gender mixup, I thought your avatar was in drag :)
<hugs> have some cake (scroll back)

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:08 am UTC

ISITMOLPYTIMENOWONG?!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 26, 2013 11:08 am UTC

Ok, here by popular demand: The Constellations of Time 2!
Spoiler:
cot2.jpg
The Constellations of Time 2

Here are the links to the big version (13.9 MB) and to the huge version (through zoom.it). I recommend viewing it in a dark room, with the browser in full screen mode and using the full screen feature of the viewer as well.

And as a special extra surprise: The Hairy Alien! Based on the OTT data.
Spoiler:

Huge version

Montov

Postby Montov » Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Wow, most zoomed in frame since the early sandcastle era?

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Ok, here by popular demand: The Constellations of Time 2!
Spoiler:
cot2.jpg

Here are the links to the big version (13.9 MB) and to the huge version (through zoom.it). I recommend viewing it in a dark room, with the browser in full screen mode and using the full screen feature of the viewer as well.

And as a special extra surprise: The Hairy Alien! Based on the OTT data.
Spoiler:

Huge version

This is amazing once again! But for the Hairy Alien:
1. How does the data for this differ to the constellations, and how/why does it form the branched spiral that it does, apart from being cool?
2. You might want to do something to the more horizontal branches, where the usernames crossover each other and it's difficult to read them.

Ardaglash

Postby Ardaglash » Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

'Ardaglash' is a simplified1.61803... version of the word "ardeaglais", which is Irish for 'cathedral'. Encapsulates my heritage, general spirituality, and of course engineering. :)

1.61803..."Simplified" so that it can be reasonably pronounced2.71828... by others
2.71828...Which has the extra benefit of making it sufficiently unique3.14159...
3.14159...Of course, now I need to go find out how to measure 'sufficient uniqueness'

Edit: for improved footnote styling

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun May 26, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Long-time lurker, first-time poster (hey, I haven't read that in a while!). After waiting for It in five different countries in three different timezones, and reading almost everything on the OTT, I finally decided to join just to say: Y'all are an amazingly creative, funny and handsome bunch of people, and waiting for It on the OTC is much more fun when following the OTT at the same time. Thanks a lot and keep on waiting!
The river is small!

Oh, and since it's my birthday today, here is some cake for all of you:

Spoiler:
CAKE
Sorry, I can't post images yet. But be assured, the cake is 4

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

speak-ONG to molpy?
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Arky

Postby Arky » Sun May 26, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

Where did the word "molpy" come from? It was one of those things which arose during a centinewpix or so when I was keeping up with the OTC but not really with the OTT.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

edfel

Postby edfel » Sun May 26, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:speak-ONG to molpy?

At last! We'll know if the markings, the campfire, the vineyard, all the stuff was made by humans or by molpies :) Tell us everything, molpy !
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 12:19 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Where did the word "molpy" come from? It was one of those things which arose during a centinewpix or so when I was keeping up with the OTC but not really with the OTT.

Explanation on NP691. Post by rmcurtis.
Sort of a moleasaurus.
Also see NP621 (enhanced image), 622 (first ref)
molpy is the truename of this creature - image captured by BlitzGirl
First noticed by PacMan
Other variants have been seen, however. Bees, snakes, ...
Original speculation was that GLR had erred. Now thought to be heresy.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sun May 26, 2013 12:36 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

Newpix! There are three possibilities:

• Megan is schizophrenic.
  • Megan is breaking the fourth wall, only with her head angled strangely.
  • Megan is seeing a small person/animal in the grass, and, for some reason, addressing it. Can someone zoom in and check if one seems to be there?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”