1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" - Matches and the Persistence of Emotion

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Khrushy wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Curious patient people.

I think you mean "Wholly batshit insane and prime candidates to be committed for psych evaluation".

But close enough.

I'll cop to that description. But peewee is watching.
Spoiler:
clash_of_the_titans_shirt.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

Khrushy wrote:

I think you mean "Wholly batshit insane and prime candidates to be committed for psych evaluation".

But close enough.

I'm not entirely sure if those are different things at all.
Also, today seems to be a signatures-matching-posts sort of day. You sig reads: "Madness takes its toll, please have exact change."
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 26, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?
The Density part is a Back to the Future reference (George McFly's nervous misstatement) so I combined to with Eternal to hint at 'eternal destiny' while being a bit unique and funny.
BlitzGirl wrote:ONGbelievable:

Megan is clearly my soul sister.
BlitzGirl wrote:Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!
Wow, just wow! And you got the appropriate ONG also, so well done :D
I'm all ketched up, yay!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames.

So why don't we flame?

There are over 900 posters.

While we go off on whimsical pursuits (poetry, hats, stories, self-made religions, etc) we stay away from the major causes of flame wars elsewhere.

You've got your reasons for lack of flames right there.

Why do people flame? As a cry for attention, or for a personal vendetta against another poster (good luck being heard in a 30K post thread), or to disrupt an on-topic conversation (such as lefty trolls acting out in righty political blogs.) All the "whimsy" here drowns out discussion of the actual comic, so flaming-as-disruption would be pretty pointless; all y'all have done it for them. (Looking at the 40 posts on the page I'm quoting, only 12 are even tangentially about the comic, and 3 of those are "post-the-latest-frame". With a sub-25% signal-to-noise ratio already, there's nothing to disrupt. It'd be like spray-painting stuff on a graffiti-covered wall.)

Unless you consider the whimsy the "signal" and the on-topic stuff the "noise", then it's un-flame-able due to ... how do you disrupt chaos?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:00 am UTC

achtONG
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 am UTC

and now Megan either looks depressed, or intent. Maybe the cancerbaby drowned in the Baconcoffee.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 am UTC

The squirpy-squirrel didn't seem to want her food; it went for the molpy-rock(?) instead...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 am UTC

Looks like Megan IS careful around the wild life. I think she tossed the goodie partway between her and Smolpy and leaned back a little.
Any gifted gifers around?

Edit
after larger viewing, looks like Smolpy grabbed some grapes already on the ground.
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 am UTC

No, don't feed the bushy-tailed tree rat!

Oh noes, too late. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Putting a gif together now. It appears that the squirpy-squirrel went for some treefruit that was on the ground pre-Megan. So it never wanted her food. She just interrupted it in the process of snagging its own squirpy meal.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 27, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Why do people flame? <snip>
Unless you consider the whimsy the "signal" and the on-topic stuff the "noise", then it's un-flame-able due to ... how do you disrupt chaos?

I think it often starts with simple mis-communication. One of the worst flame wars I've seen was on a parenting forum, where a poster said she thought one bathroom per resident of a house was stupid. Flames erupted, as people told her she shouldn't call such things stupid, and others said it was, because it was environmentally unfriendly, or whatever. Eventually, the OP managed to chime in, and point out that her statement was a comment on her own house, and she should certainly be able to make whatever judgement about it she wanted to.
A different forum I'm in, had flames erupt, people got called witches, etc. Good humor saved the day, and more. T-shirts were made and sold to the 'witches' End result was more than $1000 donated to a cause we all care deeply about.
I do hope the OTC isn't ever so off-topic as to be noise, but we wouldn't have this community without the whimsy. We could all just load up The Book of Aubron and enjoy the comic privately, but it wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
How do you disrupt chaos? Clean it. But please don't. I like my chaos.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon May 27, 2013 12:21 am UTC

I think also (though this probably applies to xkcd fans in general) it seems that the posters here are an unusual blend of creative and scientific people. There's clearly a lot of people with software development and data analysis skills, and also a lot of writers and artists and musicians and actors. And not just some people from each category, but lots of people who fit into both. I think something about the OTC, its gradually unfolding puzzle that's open to analysis but leaves a lot of space for imagination, must appeal to both aspects.

Blitzgirl wrote:From these, it can be observed that our squirpy's coloring allows it to cleverly blend in with its natural environment of semencoffeecancer, as none of the visible Other Comic squirpy-squirrels are pure black.

It's interesting how the zoom-in on Megan really emphasises the contrast between her and the rest of the landscape. The tree, vegetation and squirpy are all finely detailed and appear completely in silhouette; she remains a lower-res stick figure. It's almost a bit eerie, like she's not actually a part of that world.

Also - what the heck are those spotty things she is crouching in front of? Little berry bushes? Did she pick berries off them to offer to the squirpy?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 am UTC

I think you're right, xpatiate, Megan got her food from the ground, same as the squirpy.
Behold the gif:

Spoiler:
SquirpySaga.gif
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Khrushy wrote:

But close enough.

I'm not entirely sure if those are different things at all.

"Curious" has more than one meaning... and they all appear to apply here, true. But still...

[Ash]Sane... insane... we're the ones with the patience to wait for it.[/Ash]

(And the ones with the songs, scripts, charts, newpixbot, boom de yadas, double dactyls, anagram double dactyls, a sacramental buddy log, haiku, sestina, hats, sigcouragement, cakes, ketchup, molpy zoology, baobab botany, flameproofing, constellations, image mods, wiki, Blitzfolk, comfy chairs, noirs, time portals, puns, ecclesiastical epics, maps, enhances, present presents, S&Ms, connections, footnote labyrinths, and liturgy.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 27, 2013 12:38 am UTC

ergman wrote:
rvloon wrote:Maybe be a little bit less ambitious[ than the Canterbury tales] but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald

I am so down for parody tarot cards. We could assign a few cards to each person who's willing to do them.

I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

(Hmm, and I should fix up those nasty edges if we're going to do this.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Well, that was a big dollop, or barrel, of ketchup... not having been current with the OTT since NP 374 (or newpix 761), I'm finally back to the present. How do, all y'all?

(... crickets, tumbleweeds, awkward coughs...).

Ah, well. Outside, pressures of; following along and posting from smartphone, annoyances of; etc., etc. So, alas, I bring no sestinas, song filks, double-dactyls, anagrams... or at least not yet2. But I skipped no posts in all those NP, either. A very thoroughly blended ketchup, was mine.

To the OTC... if Megan was on a quest to gather food, why is she offering some to the squirrel? Bait?

Edit: ninja'd?

2 Wait for it.3
3 I'm the most promising writer/parodist I know -- I've been promising these 25 years.4
4 Cheerfully pinched from the late great Arthur C.1 Clarke.
Last edited by partingLance on Mon May 27, 2013 12:58 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time" - We're very protective of our lawns.

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:39 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:(And the ones with the songs, scripts, charts, newpixbot, boom de yadas, double dactyls, anagram double dactyls, a sacramental buddy log, haiku, sestina, hats, sigcouragement, cakes, ketchup, molpy zoology, baobab botany, flameproofing, constellations, image mods, wiki, Blitzfolk, comfy chairs, noirs, time portals, puns, ecclesiastical epics, maps, enhances, present presents, S&Ms, connections, footnote labyrinths, and liturgy.)

And the shotguns, don't forget the shotguns (or the other references to Outside-produced films).

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:00 am UTC

thinkONG
ETA: Vengeance is MINE! (my first attempted ONG of the day was ninja'd by pelrigg. This time, I ninja'd him. He deleted his post.)
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 am UTC

HAL9000, the claws, yeah, that's right, it's the claws. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it :wink:

ttscp, thank you! You mentioned many things I've thought but not articulated.

SBN: .....I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

This. This is why Crabs shouldn't use touchscreens, especially tiny screens, and especially-especially Crabs who are being jiggled by small children.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 am UTC

Or eating her ground berries.

Welcome to Nowish partingLance.

Yes I posted an Ong and got the ninja and deleted it.

thbbtt...

Edit
de-threading for a bit, maybe even coma.
HAL9000, have you set a record for most Ongs in 24 newpixs yet? If you have, someone needs to call the Guinness folks.......... :mrgreen:
Last edited by pelrigg on Mon May 27, 2013 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:04 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:SBN: .....I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

That may be due to the post being editing between the time you loaded the page containing the post in question and the time that you quoted it. It's happened to me before, and is part of why I always mark when and why I edit.

Also:
Welcome to the future, partingLance! It's pretty cool here!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 1:05 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:HAL9000, the claws, yeah, that's right, it's the claws. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it :wink:

ttscp, thank you! You mentioned many things I've thought but not articulated.

SBN: .....I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

This. This is why Crabs shouldn't use touchscreens, especially tiny screens, and especially-especially Crabs who are being jiggled by small children.
I read that as 'juggled by small children' and was rather confused for a few seconds.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 1:15 am UTC

Prayer to the creator of all Time.
It seems our creator may have, as one of his many powers, the ability to generate fractally interesting trees, grass, etc. I wonder if such a thing is well known and available. Would be great to see it on (for example) GitHub.
O GLR, hear my prayer. Others (popes, cardinals, etc) may know the secret incantations, but I don't.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 27, 2013 1:16 am UTC

ggh wrote:
ergman wrote:
rvloon wrote:Maybe be a little bit less ambitious[ than the Canterbury tales] but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald

I am so down for parody tarot cards. We could assign a few cards to each person who's willing to do them.

I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

Well...Here's the list and some suggestions:
0 The Fool-Cueball, of course.
1 The Magician-Keiyrn or Scissitor
2 The High Priestess-Blitzgirl
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
5 The Hierophant-Helper, as first pope
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
12 The Hanged Man-Newpixbot
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
15 The Devil-BuffyGirl's evil hat
16 The Tower- Sandcastle. Duh.
17 The Star-Scissito's Constellation
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax
21 The World-A screenshot of the OTT

Any other suggestions, or arguments with this?
Edited to add sandcastle for tower.
Last edited by Dracomax on Mon May 27, 2013 1:24 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
“have i gone mad?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Welcome back, partingLance!

P.S. I'm done with the script and SVG, but adding some features. Be ready soonish.

jjjdavidson wrote:
azule wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
azule wrote:First time they've cut back to a previous frame.

Not true. Cueball returned after finding the first deserted fireplace and the berries.

Right. I was trying to describe the leftward camera movement, which is new. The other kind is a backwards camera walk. Same idea, technically different.

Can you explain the technical difference for the lucky 10,000 of us who always think it's fun to learn these things? Thanks!

Well, the left is technically a different direction than forward, backward, or to the right. If we're examining single pixel changes in the OTC then I'm examining each direction as different and significant. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon May 27, 2013 1:24 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:It seems our creator may have, as one of his many powers, the ability to generate fractally interesting trees, grass, etc. I wonder if such a thing is well known and available.

Given his predilection for accuracy and detail, I would be shocked if they weren't hand drawn.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 27, 2013 1:25 am UTC

ggh wrote:I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
The attachment Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg is no longer available
but not quickly.

we could also do a more OTC focused deck:
lovers1.png
insect voyeurism

of course we could have two different arcanum, or just jumble them all together, like dracomax has:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:Well...Here's the list and some suggestions:
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
16 The Tower
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax

and as far as art style, I'm alright with photo manipulation or hand drawn.
Last edited by ergman on Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 am UTC

ergman wrote:I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

lovers1.png

of course we could have two different arcanum, or just jumble them all together, like dracomax has:
Spoiler:
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
16 The Tower
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax

and as far as art style, I'm alright with photo manipulation or hand drawn.[/quote]
Honestly? I just pulled the list off of Wikipedia, since there are so many different forms of just the Major Arcana.
(edit)I may have just misunderstood what you were saying. TBH, The OTC and The OTT are so jumbled in my head now, I have trouble distinguishing between them.
“have i gone mad?

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 27, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
ergman wrote:I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

lovers1.png

Spoiler:
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
16 The Tower
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax

Honestly? I just pulled the list off of Wikipedia, since there are so many different forms of just the Major Arcana.[/quote]
what? I don't mean the order of the cards, I mean whether they pertain to OTT or OTC directly.
edit: it seems my quotes being out of whack whacked out your quotes. oops
re-edit (reddit?) ninja'd. we just had a more than 3 piece conversation in only 3 posts

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 27, 2013 1:31 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlueCrab wrote: <snipped> myself. These claws do come in handy once in a while!
....And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

I read that as 'juggled by small children' and was rather confused for a few seconds.

Well we do have 4 grandchildren, but they're all under 26 MIPS, so I'm a lot more likely to juggle them than be juggled by them :D (Actually I do juggle them on a pretty regular basis, but only in pairs, only sitting down, and only because they do the ‘Mine! Mine!’ thing over me.)

Blending 2 of my favorite topics (grandchildren and the OTT) it's been rainier than usual here this season, enough so that all but the best-tended lawns look pretty shaggy. While out for a walk with Little Bear yesterday I was pointing out flowers, leaves, the dog that always barks at us, etc, and eventually realized that I'd been referring to the birds and rabbits hidden in the longish grass as molpys the whole time...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 1:33 am UTC

fatness wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:It seems our creator may have, as one of his many powers, the ability to generate fractally interesting trees, grass, etc. I wonder if such a thing is well known and available.

Given his predilection for accuracy and detail, I would be shocked if they weren't hand drawn.

Yes, I know what you mean. I would neither be surprised if they were, nor shocked if they weren't. It's very Time consuming, though.

And we are the Time Consumers.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon May 27, 2013 1:35 am UTC

3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax

Neato! I like it! (except for Cue, who I feel oddly defensive of, but that may pass if he does something really inexcusable.)

I may try 4 or 5 (or maybe 20!) next, but not until tonight at the earliest. I am boring the bub.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon May 27, 2013 1:44 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax

Neato! I like it! (except for Cue, who I feel oddly defensive of, but that may pass if he does something really inexcusable.)

I may try 4 or 5 (or maybe 20!) next, but not until tonight at the earliest. I am boring the bub.

Well, remember, most interpretations of the fool are that he is the everyman; He is the fool because he doesn't know anything, not because he is foolish. many consider the tarot the fools journey, as he learns everything.
wikipedia wrote:The Fool is the spirit in search of experience. He represents the mystical cleverness bereft of reason within us, the childlike ability to tune into the inner workings of the world. The sun shining behind him represents the divine nature of the Fool's wisdom and exuberance, holy madness or 'crazy wisdom'. On his back are all the possessions he might need. In his hand there is a flower, showing his appreciation of beauty. He is frequently accompanied by a dog, sometimes seen as his animal desires, sometimes as the call of the "real world", nipping at his heels and distracting him. He is seemingly oblivious that he is walking toward a precipice, apparently about to step off. One of the keys to the card is the paradigm of the precipice, Zero and the sometimes represented oblivious Fool's near-step into the oblivion (The Void) of the jaws of a crocodile, for example, are all mutually informing polysemy within evocations of the iconography of The Fool. The staff is the offset and complement to the void and this in many traditions represents wisdom and renunciation, e.g. 'danda' (Sanskrit) of a Sanyassin, 'danda' (Sanskrit) is also a punctuation mark with the function analogous to a 'full-stop' which is appropriately termed a period in American English. The Fool is both the beginning and the end, neither and otherwise, betwixt and between, liminal.

The number 0 is a perfect significator for the Fool, as it can become anything when he reaches his destination as in the sense of 'joker's wild'. Zero plus anything equals the same thing. Zero times anything equals zero.[6] Zero is nothing, a lack of hard substance, and as such it may reflect a non-issue or lack of cohesiveness for the subject at hand.

With that, how could it be other than Cueball?
Last edited by Dracomax on Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:47 am UTC

0 The Fool-Cueball, of course. (Megan as well? She deserves mention, and they're both learning a lot.)
1 The Magician-Keiyrn or Sciscitor (mscha, with his ENHANCEs and frame-comparisons?)
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
6 The Lovers (XonqNopp, kenmelken, and any others who've gotten engaged/married since the OTC started?)
7 The Chariot (PhoenixRising, always barely ketching up?)
8 or 11 Strength (Vytron, azule, tman2nd, partingLance, and other post-Blitzgirl blitzers?)
9 The Hermit-La Petite
10 Wheel of Fortune (Newpixbot, with its randomly-selected ONGs?)
11 or 8 Justice (ChronosDragon's Newpix-o-Meter?)
12 The Hanged Man-Newpixbot (the users we've lost who've given no mention of their eventual return, represented by a milk carton?)
13 Death (Kieryn's Credits page, with its rotating memorials of those we have lost? {possibly plus Kieryn himself})
14 Temperance-Hal9000
15 The Devil-BuffyGirl's evil hat (flamewars, represented by the "time quenches all fires" insignia?)
16 The Tower (cake, or maybe sandcastles?)
17 The Star-Sciscitor's Constellation (possibly plus Sciscitor himself?)
18 The Moon (M&Ms?)
19 The Sun (Skittles?)
20 Judgement-Dracomax
21 The World-A screenshot of the OTT (the map and its creator {I can't recall who it was}?)

My suggestions included in bold. I think no user should have multiple cards (with exceptions for the cards that are broad categories), so putting Kieryn and Sciscitor with their creations seems apt. The only issue with my suggestions is it doesn't include the other, less active users, while your suggestion for XXI-The World did.
EDIT to add parentheses and my suggestion for XV-The Devil.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 27, 2013 1:55 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 am UTC

SBN wrote:How do you disrupt chaos? Clean it. But please don't. I like my chaos.

I'll take my chaos with a side of ketchup...

@BlitzGirl, et. al. - re: Sea journey
@ergman et. al. - tarot cards
@various - username etymology

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:The sea-journey period took daysH? How many newpix did that span?

HHeresy.

I'm a little late to the party here, but couldn't they have been journeying along the sea since before they stopped to make a sandcastle? It's not necessarily all been captured in the OTC...

ergman wrote:
ggh wrote:I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

lovers1.png

-snip-

I'm not bad with a drawing tablet - I could try my hand at enhancing some stills from the OTC for card-art, if such a thing were requested...

-----------------------
re: the username etymology

My username is actually one I've started using fairly recently. On most websites I'm "p0rtalplayer," a slightly generic tag that I picked up a few years ago when I started my video game career with Portal and have kept ever since. Not long ago I started a new deviantart account for the purpose of posting some of art I was beginning to draw and wanted to come up with a new handle. Chronos is quite similar to my last name (and has connotations of time - one of the main reasons I went with that handle for this thread!) and, well, I have something of an obsession with dragons.

And in case anyone was wondering, the 24 hour newpix coding competition went pretty well. My group didn't quite polish off our project but at least we got our high concept partially embodied. And we didn't win anything, but we had fun, so that's all that matters. Either way, I'm pretty exhausted now. Took a midday coma for around 3 hours earlier and I'm still wiped out, gonna have to hold out 'till about 10 pm my time to stay on a normal sleep schedule but then I'll collapse into bed with a coma.

Shanman

Postby Shanman » Mon May 27, 2013 1:59 am UTC

I've been sort of following this thread for a while. I read the first 60 pages or so and then just checked in occasionally. It's been a very helpful companion to keeping an eye on Time itself. (I've been keeping the comic, the map, the list of periods from the wiki, the Aubronwood image viewer, and this thread open for the past few weeks.) So thank you for the company.

I noticed you discussing the drafting of Tarot cards. I took a passing interest in them last summer and did some curiosity research. For the Tower (XVI) I think it'd be best to make it the sand castle as the water is rising, given that it's the card which symbolizes dramatic and inevitable change.

Anyways, maybe I'll comment again down the line, but for now I just enjoy reading along. One question though: why stop with the "update posts"? Back in the first 100 pages at least, you had people making a big post every few pages which kind of summarized some of the recent discussions, but we don't seem to have it anymore.... Then again, I guess the number of people watching is dwindling.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:00 am UTC

watchONG the molpysquirrel eat:

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine reminds me of an unfortunate mistake I made when I joined the forum:
Spoiler:
Using my real name on a non-professional social site.

Could I go back to the past, I'd likely go with TheLincolnshirePoacher or dm214.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Artemis_Wolf

Postby Artemis_Wolf » Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 am UTC

azule wrote:You forgot to leave your comment for Artemis_Wolf. I didn't see this post. It is interesting, Artemis_Wolf, and they all appear to be anagrams, kudos!, but I don't think you achieved the challenge. I don't see two anagrams of double dactyls across from each other.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, though. There aren't "two anagrams of double dactyls"? :? Well, I guess "bioluminescently" doesn't really work without the apostrophe... And I think I did mess up the meter a little, if that's what you mean... (Version 1's line 2, for example, doesn't even have the right amount of syllables, because of the apostrophe... :!: Although, "time music, lonely Ben" would have. Screws up "bioluminescently" a bit, though.)

I grabbed a few lines from the different versions and twerked them a bit to try to get them to fit the double-dactyl form a little better:

Sand, nil-height hourglass mite.
Timely, en noble mus'c
Challenge accepted, Baum!
Life conquers all.

Animals shine: drought's light
Biolum'nescently.
Cueball Dee, Megan patch. (not sure where the stress would go best in this line, but I'm thinking "cue" now)
Liquor scene, fall.

If I misunderstood you, I'd appreciate it if you would explain what you mean in more detail. Thanks! (Also appreciated would be feedback on any aesthetic choices-- what you think would have been a better arrangement of the words/lines.)

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 27, 2013 2:28 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine reminds me of an unfortunate mistake I made when I joined the forum:
Spoiler:
Using my real name on a non-professional social site.

Could I go back to the past, I'd likely go with TheLincolnshirePoacher or dm214.

That's a very interesting thing to know, Mr. ASG :lol:

I have a friend who uses his real name as his Internet alias, and because its such an unusual name, no one is the wiser.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”