1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Mon May 27, 2013 2:33 am UTC

ergman wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine reminds me of an unfortunate mistake I made when I joined the forum:
Spoiler:
Using my real name on a non-professional social site.

Could I go back to the past, I'd likely go with TheLincolnshirePoacher or dm214.

That's a very interesting thing to know

My name or the alternatives?
Spoiler:
(pause)
Ding, dong
Ding, dong
Ding, dong
(pause)
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Another Mayo Blindpost.

HAL9000 wrote:Also, sorry if I seemed a little angry with my input on BlitzGirl numbers. I was just getting a little worried that it could end up going in the wrong direction if people took it too seriously.

Here's hoping the lesson learned was: "there's no wrong direction" :wink:

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 27, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Back from a friend's wedding, which left me something like 10NP to grace with condiment.

AluisioASG wrote:Does that make cmyk the Pope of the Holy Contradiction?
Actually, I think cmyk and helper are two different eigenstates of the same poster.

As to a few other topics that have come up, I think that our lack of combustion is due to the fact that, unlike many other forums, we actively want to be nice to each other, something I mentioned here along with a few other things. We all value (and want to preserve) the environment embodied by this thread.

My own username means "I teach" and "I learn" in Serbo-Croatian. (I cheated by using an ordinary c instead of the proper SerboCroat letter, to make it easier to type.) I like the idea that teaching and learning happen together. I am by nature a teacher... that is, if somebody doesn't know something, my tendency is to want to explain it to them so that they are better off, rather than to exploit their ignorance so that my pocketbook is better off. My real name is Jose; you are welcome to call me that (it feels friendlier), though "official" xkcd attributions (i.e. quotes that are in their quote-box) and such should probably use my xkcd name for clarity.

As to the reasons double posting is discouraged on these forums, that is something that might be revealed in the "rules" threads. They are pretty well thought out, IMHO, even if I may sometimes disagree.

ttscp wrote:Newpix is the base unit. For some reason the Outside sped up after the first few newpix.
I really like that view of things. I will note however that "day" is canonical, not heretical. The Cuegan use that term, and it seems to mean the same kind of thing we mean by it on the outside. Their days may not match up to ours, but that is true on Mars too.

I had a few other randomrelated, (since they are all related) thoughts, but I am going to let them go for now. In the meantime, heed our Prime Directive. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon May 27, 2013 2:48 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Curious patient people.

I think you mean "Wholly batshit insane and prime candidates to be committed for psych evaluation".

But close enough.

Is your avatar meant to evoke a Rorschach image? Because when I first saw it I thought "bat symbol over dancing boulders in front of a full moon."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon May 27, 2013 2:50 am UTC

Also, I'm starting to skim through HAL9000's posts, 80% of the last post I read was him still trying to tell people how they should be posting. I still say people should be posting in the way they want, reading his posts has been bittersweet, and it's a flavor I don't like (and, it's not like it's a big deal, since he skims through post of other people anyway...)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon May 27, 2013 2:55 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:SBN: .....I've had a couple weird cases where I hit quote to reply, and the post in the reply box was different than what I had just read. And even more where I read something, and carried on, and someone else quoted a bit that wasn't in the post when I read it.

That may be due to the post being editing between the time you loaded the page containing the post in question and the time that you quoted it. It's happened to me before, and is part of why I always mark when and why I edit.

Also:
Welcome to the future, partingLance! It's pretty cool here!

It is! Until maybe three weeks ago NP 800 or so, I'd never seen that [Outside reference] Discovery Channel commercial [/Outside ref]. So I'd never really got xkcd 442. Eventually, when BlitzGirl posted the Present Present, I googled "boom de yada." Much was explained.
Last edited by partingLance on Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 am UTC

Vytron wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Also, sorry if I seemed a little angry with my input on BlitzGirl numbers. I was just getting a little worried that it could end up going in the wrong direction if people took it too seriously.

Here's hoping the lesson learned was: "there's no wrong direction" :wink:

Not on the OTT, anyway. I bet we could even handle spectral wolves... Molpy army, attack!

Image - - - - ImageImageImageImageImage
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 am UTC

standONG back up...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 3:16 am UTC

If that weren't a wild squirpy-squirrel, I'd want Megan to adopt it and take it along with her on the journey. So cute!
Spoiler:

But judging from its reactions to Megan, it's not a tame squirpy...
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Chapter 12 of the Gospel of tman2nd.

Postby tman2nd » Mon May 27, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Progress: 565/717

Vegetation has appeared! Additionally, Cuegan has revealed lots of new information. Apparently there are tents and Cuegan is part of a larger group of people1. The river they're following flows from bigger hills2. I'm leaning towards Time being set in a post-apocalyptic world. Certainly they don't seem to be anywhere on present day Earth. The OTC has become 10 times more interesting than it was before[citation needed], and it was interesting before.

Past post responses.
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
tman2nd wrote:1st update[...][list of firsts]
Glorious! The beginnings of another Gospel! And with research - for Science! I, as Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do most solemnly bless your most worthy voyage, and your chosen mission to discover the (at the time overlooked) genesis of what are now seen to be fundamentally important and momentous events and traits of the One True Thread. We await further reports of your triumphs, which shall merit a special place in the Library of the Holy Books.

Now I feel bad that I didn't fulfill my blitzing duties adequately. I guess I got too lazy. :(
Vytron wrote:Then, I find in horror that tman2nd and lmjb1964 have been lost in the past! Oh no! I'm catching up so that we can spend some time together! The present will not be the same if I ketchup and you're not there. Good luck with blitzing, and Randallspeed!

I'm on my way! I hope to meet you soon! :)
descor wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
descor wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:<snip> It was looking up my posts that led me to wonder. I don't think I've ever posted fifteen times in a day. I just don't have that much to say, but there were a few times my name was included in quotes, why I theorized may have inflated the numbers.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you have to have something to say in order to post in this thread. :mrgreen:

No kidding, I don't think I have had a single meaningful post my entire life...

I figure that if at least one person quotes you then your post is validated. So there you go, your post was meaningful enough for me to reply!

Also, thanks buffygirl. I can't wait! It feels like Christmas Eve!

I wonder if there's a way to find out how many of my posts have been quoted so that I can find my meaningful%. :P
mscha wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:It's come up a few times recently, so I went ahead and took the time to make a Dialogue Summary page on the wiki. It's current through the most recent NewpixGongFramePic...

ETA: I'm not sure how to change the redirect of "Dialogue" from the Litany to this page, though. So if any of you intrepid wiki-masters want to fix that little thing, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Looks like somebody already made the change, Dialogue now redirects to your new page.

Looks good! The only thing I'm not happy about, is the frame numbering. Since a few days ikositetranewpix, the Book of Aubron accidentally includes the three ‘apocryphal’ frames (and shows them as duplicates, just compare frames 256-258 with 259-261), so any frame past that has a number that's 3 higher than the ‘canonical’ numbering. I contacted him yesterday through his site, he said he would look into it, so most likely it's going to change.
Most other sources (Geekwagon, other places in the wiki (but not Explain¹)) all use the same ‘canonical’ numbers as my list.
So would you mind if we do the same here? That means that all frame numbers higher than 256 should be decremented by 3.

¹: which uses a strange numbering for the first period when Outside time moved slower

What I don't understand is why the so called "apocryphal" frames don't count. If Randall made them, shouldn't they be considered canonical?
mathrec wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> I call this proof that Time truly IS the One True Comic. All other comics, what-ifs etc are merely dreams of the characters in the OTC.

Made me think of this quote:
“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.”
― John Lennon

Perhaps we are all dreaming of Time together, and that is what makes it the One True Comic?

It's certainly what makes it the One True Thread.

Edit: In some sense, I think the OTT may be creating the OTC as well. Apart from the possibility that GLR is lifting ideas from the OTT (which I think is entirely possible), I think GLR may have had a shorter span in mind when he started Time, and it may have been the OTT that made him expand the OTC. If that's true, then everything that Cuegan are experiencing is a result of our collective dream.

Since Cueball dreamt of What If #44, is that also part of our collective dream? Are we dreaming up all of XKCD? *Sudden realization* Is Randall dreaming of us? :shock: [/tryingtosounddeep]

1 Same as the people who live in the hills?
2 Mountains?
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Mon May 27, 2013 3:23 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Khrushy wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Curious patient people.

I think you mean "Wholly batshit insane and prime candidates to be committed for psych evaluation".

But close enough.

Is your avatar meant to evoke a Rorschach image? Because when I first saw it I thought "bat symbol over dancing boulders in front of a full moon."

It's supposed to invoke a Panda with handguns (aka Panda-monium), but I'm probably going to forever see a bat symbol as well now.

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

HAL9000 wrote:I'm not entirely sure if those are different things at all.
Also, today seems to be a signatures-matching-posts sort of day. You sig reads: "Madness takes its toll, please have exact change."

I think we all sig things that are close to our hearts. Like insanity.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 3:32 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If that weren't a wild squirpy-squirrel, I'd want Megan to adopt it and take it along with her on the journey. So cute!
Spoiler:

Chronicles of Narnia reference, right?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Something looks funny about that tree..

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:00 am UTC

climbONG back up the tree
ETA: 800th post! Woo!
ETA2, after EternalDensity's reminder:
Spoiler:
dicktits
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:climbONG back up the tree

You forgot to say one of the magic words.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:climbONG back up the tree
Spoiler:

You forgot to say one of the magic words.

Oh, sorry. I'll edit one in. Thanks for the reminder!
I suppose I'll go to bed coma now...
But first, whoever first mentioned One Over Zero, thank you. Just finished reading it, and it managed to be alternately humorous and thought-provoking, both qualities I enjoy in a webcomic (hence my enjoyment of xkcd).

ttscp

Re: 1190: "Time" - Matches and the Persistence of Emotion

Postby ttscp » Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ttscp wrote:<snip> Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening.

Wonderful post, ttscp!

OMR BlitzGirl that is beautiful. I am honored and humbled. I seriously want a t-shirt of this, but I also want to support Randall through the OTS and I don't know if he'd sell it. Maybe I'll buy whatever t-shirt he issues for Time as well as this one.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Shanman

Postby Shanman » Mon May 27, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Somehow this post didn't get posted or something, sorry! Thank goodness for the Lazarus Add-on, it saved everything from a few hours ago when I posted.

I've been sort of following this thread for a while. I read the first 60 pages or so and then just checked in occasionally. It's been a very helpful companion to keeping an eye on Time itself. (I've been keeping the comic, the map, the list of periods from the wiki, the Aubronwood image viewer, and this thread open for the past few weeks.) So thank you for the company.

I noticed you discussing the drafting of Tarot cards. I took a passing interest in them last summer and did some curiosity research. For the Tower (XVI) I think it'd be best to make it the sand castle as the water is rising, given that it's the card which symbolizes dramatic and inevitable change.

Anyways, maybe I'll comment again down the line, but for now I just enjoy reading along. One question though: why stop with the "update posts"? Back in the first 100 pages at least, you had people making a big post every few pages which kind of summarized some of the recent discussions, but we don't seem to have it anymore.... Then again, I guess the number of people watching is dwindling.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon May 27, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Warning, overreaction post incoming!

Received this by PM:

HAL9000 wrote:Depending on your location in the block of unread pages, there's either one or two more semi-rants of mine. One of them is about something unrelated to posting protocols ("BlitzGirl numbers," you'll get to it eventually if you haven't yet), and was me making sure that we didn't start taking something too seriously. The other is about double (and sometimes triple) posts and their being against the rules (that part of it was a little angry), snipping unnecessary parts of lengthy posts, and my personal thoughts (but no suggestions) on use of spoilers for lengthy content. In that post I also explained my method for reading posts (I only skim posts that are continuing conversations I have nothing to add to, such as a discussion about if and how "Lego" is pluralized in which everything I could have said had already been said by someone else).
Both of them, I placed inside spoilers and marked as being on those topics.

As a thread, we've agreed to stop discussing how one or some of us are posting unless it gets completely out of hand. Making sure you understand that.

If you have an issue with me, or with any other specific user, you should deal with it via PM, rather than post in-thread about it. If you can give me the link(s) to the vindictive posts in question, I can edit something in saying that I've moved on from those topics, and won't be bitter at anyone who posts in a way that differs from mine.

I disagree that these issues have to be deal by private messages, as I think it doesn't only concern involved parties, but everyone on the thread (those who are saddened by your "suggestions", other people that also suggest what content or in what way it should be presented in the thread, while I think it should be "free-for-all"). As much as I love reading the thread and all the great things that people post, it's people like you that make me not wish to know what thing will be nitpicked up next. You were one of the main people that made BlitzGirl sad and caused the delay of her awesome present present, you were the main person that almost made me keep blitzing in silence, and I'm quite certain you're also responsible for discouraging people for doing something they enjoyed doing, or have changed the way in where people have been posting for the worse (because they can no longer do it the way they were doing it, they have to do it your way) and that's because your opinion is important to us.

You have the power to make the thread a more pleasing place to be, or to discourage people like me from following it. You're doing the latter. Please let people be who they are, keeping on explaining why you dislike the way they post or what they are posting isn't helping any, just makes people change, and that's alienation.

These matters should not remain private, they concern the whole thread, and if you can keep posting your opinions about what people should do/shouldn't do, so can I.

Now, I'm going to read this thread in slow-motion mode, I got emotional attachment to it and dislike drama like this. It was surely easier to deal with it when I was in the past and these things were happening a week ago, now that they're happening now I can't just let them pass, and the issues become bigger and bigger by just talking about them (I think I've been guilty of it), I'll let them go.

Please don't send another PM just so "I read it faster" anything that concerns me in the thread concerns everyone else that wants to read the message, I consider y'all a big family, and don't want secrets.

--------

Hello everyone of the past still reading this thread. It is today January 16 2015, and I need a post to host images I'm going to use for a forum game, so I'll use this post :)

Spoiler:
mugshoots.png

har.png
Last edited by Vytron on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:19 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon May 27, 2013 4:39 am UTC

After I made that comment earlier about Stick Figure Megan looking out of place in Detailed Silhouette World, something started niggling at me and this was the only way I could put it to rest...

Spoiler:
helpmemolpy.png

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 27, 2013 5:07 am UTC

After a long day, another ketchup blitz before I coma. Obviously, some of these issues which I am responding to have been addressed and I apologize for any unnecessary topic duplication.

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles." Charlie_Grumbles is just a name I made up that seemed to express a certain curmudgeonly character. I've since learned that there are real, actual, humans with that name. They are, of course, not guilty of the stuff I write.

"charlie is my name - irony is my game"

Anyone else?

I've always wanted to make my own book.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
The sea-journey period took daysH? How many newpix did that span?

HHeresy.

As I reply to this now, without full ketchup dose, I may be repeating this: According to the Holy Catographer Edfel's map, approximately 4 heretical days covering 141 newpix.

spamjam wrote:YESWECANDONG

Perhaps he is speaking of Time as well.

trolleypup wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the usual process for introducing a weird food to someone's diet is hunger. I mean...if you have lots of grain, stored in sealed containers (to keep vermin out) and one of them ends up under a leak inside a dwelling...you might very well toss out this fizzy weird smelling muck. But if you have one container...you are probably going to hold your nose and drink it (and then eat the grains too). Scientists, excuse me, heretics outside, think that the discovery of beer followed very shortly on the heels of domesticating grain, likely in many places.

I disagree with your hypothesis that the introduction of new food is caused by hunger. I have always believed that it is accidental, and probably also the result of stupidity. For instance, let us take your example of fermented grains. I do not believe that, as humans, we have essentially changed much. I think things like fermented drinks came about as the result of two guys standing around looking at it, with a conversation similar to what follows:
Spoiler:
"What's that smell?"
"The wheat pot."
"The wheat pot? What happened to it?"
"Filled with water. Ugg forgot to cover it."
"Idiot. Smells funny. What's that floating on the top?"
"Dunno. Dump it."
"What a waste...think we could use it for something? All that grain. Hate to throw it out."
"Just dump it. It's ruined.
"I dunno. Maybe we can dry the grains again."
"You want to use it? You try to use it."
"Fine. I will. Bet I could just take this stuff of the top. You know it doesn't smell that bad really."
"Hey, dare you to drink it."
"What!?"
"The water. Drink it."
"Ew no!"
"Come on, you're the one that wants to use it for something. Drink the water."
"No!"
"I'll give you 10 shells to drink it. Go on!"
"15!"
"Fine. Shake on it."
"Alright, here it goes...aw man! Aw, it feels funny in my mouth!. Like...bubbles."
"That must taste disgusting! I can't believe you drank that!"
"No, it's not bad. Tastes alright, just feels funny. Try it."
"No way!"
"Come on, keep your 15 shells and try it."
"Hey! Not bad. I kind of like the mouth feel. Strain the grains out and just keep the water."
"Yeah, what do we call it?"
"Well you tried it first. We'll call it Beer."
"Never had a drink named after myself."
"Hey guys, heard the news?"
"No."
"Ugg's dead."
"What? What happened?"
"I kind of bet him 10 shells to eat this thing we found in the forest."
"Oh?"
"Yeah. Don't eat the little red mushrooms you find growing on the ground. The red ones are definitely bad."

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:10:01 pm UTC, spamjam wrote:NEWPIXBOTTEASEONG

That was indeed close. Approximately 2 seconds until newpixbot. Congrats. But, be nicer to our robot friend. :P
[and then later: 11:10:03] .... Are you using a bot now too, spamjam???

HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
azule wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:@azule: how do javascript???

This seems really cool! I say "seems" because I have almost no clue as to how this is implemented (where do I put this block o' code?). Is anyone willing/able to explain how I can put it into use? If it's any help, I'm on a MacBook running OS X 10.6.8, and my default browser is Chrome (though I also have Firefox and Safari if it's easier to use on those browsers).
Alright, two ways to do this. After loading ott2.svg:
  1. Copy the block-o-code and paste it into the address bar, press enter, and wait.
  2. Save the block-o-code into a bookmark. [Make a new bookmark, paste into location field, give it a name.] Press bookmark. (This activates code the same as 1., but is conveniently ready for next load.)
When the cursor becomes a hand when over nodes, the script is ready. Press and have fun.
One more step if you've got the code editing skills:
    3. This code can be set up at the bottom of the svg file (with a few changes) and then its ready when the svg loads. Ask and I can give you the real details on that.
I've tried this in Firefox and Chrome.

Do I paste the code after "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23263053/ott2.svg," or does it replace the address? Whenever I try adding it to the end, I get a dropbox 404 error page, and when I replace the address, it interprets it as a google search query and hands me a 414 error for it being too long.

It would be the second method you said. Replacing the address. I think what happens on Chrome is the "javascript:" part doesn't paste, so just type it in then paste the code. That should do the trick.
Thanks! This is really cool!

I'm glad someone's trying it. It is pretty cool. The untangleable mess mass was cool but sorta hiding the info it contained. I was thinking of adding some sort of multi-node setup, like a chain reaction thing, to see all the connected users, like the cmyk numbers.

Finally got this to work. Another brilliant contribution!

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:Once again I have been kept away from Time and have only time enough to ketchup and post what little I have time for.

Molpybird

You go girl (m/f)!

Ronald

m :) I hope you really do not mind. I'd made two Norwegian wood references before and as a huge Beatles found, I could not resist the chance to do a Time inspired rendition. I've though of looking through the rest of their work to see if other songs may be as suitable.

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
rvloon wrote:Maybe be a little bit less ambitious[ than the Canterbury tales] but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald

I am so down for parody tarot cards. We could assign a few cards to each person who's willing to do them.

I think I may have sufficient skills to contribute to a Time Tarot deck. Not a Tarot believer myself, but always been interested in Tarot art.

Dracomax wrote:They should be called the "Misty" mountains

It's about Time we got some more Tolkien references. Also, since we're bringing up Tolkien:
Spoiler:
This thing all things devours,
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers.
Gnaws iron, bites steel,
Grinds hard stone to meal.
End kings, ruins towns,
Beat high mountains down.
What am I? Time

I think someone with more skill than I needs to write a sufficient Time parody of this.

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:They should be called the "Misty" mountains

Also, on the subject of the Kieryn Sciscitor constelattion of posters and my place within it. It seems I have moved more central to the point of greatest posting. I am calling this The "Event." Not for any particular reason, other than it kind of looks like the point from which the rest of the OTT is exploding. I notice that the link between myself and stratplayer is quite possibly the brightest one there is. I knew there was a strong correlation, but that's a bit awe inspiring, actually.

In other words, Awesome and informative chart!

FTFY. Credit where credit is due.

ETA:
1) It's clearly a molpyrrel.
2) Megball are looking for supplies. It IS a trap and it looks like molpymeat's back on the menu boys.
3)
Far over the misty mountains cold
To big seas deep and sandcastles old
We must away ere break of day
To see the tale of Time unfold

A man after my own Tolkien raised heart!

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames. If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

It is one of the amazing features of this thread that we have had no flames in 28,000 posts. About 24 newpix ago, I followed a link from this thread to a light hearted article about Skynet taking over. Within two comments they were flaming.

So why don't we flame?

We have an unusual bunch here. We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers. However that hasn't kept flames from starting in other xkcd fora (as an example, look at them arguing in Serious Business about what the Serious Business forum should be about).

There are over 900 posters. That's usually an invitation to flame. We humans can support an effective social group of about 150 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number), that is way higher than chimpanzee social group size of 15 to 120 (http://www.savethechimps.org/chimp-facts) and I've seen it ascribed to our need to establish where we belong in the group (or social hierarchy) by talking, where chimps do it by grooming. However, 150 is still low compared to 900.

While we go off on whimsical pursuits (poetry, hats, stories, self-made religions, etc) we stay away from the major causes of flame wars elsewhere. There are, I think, three contributing factors: the first is the tick of the OTC itself. Not that we are not capable of concentrated effort, it's just that the appearance of each newpix, with its attendant speculation about what might be happening, tends to derail any sustained emotional commitment to a flame. The second is the collaborative feel brought about by the continuing mystery of the OTC, and the third is our desire to protect the thread from flames, now that we done it so far.

I don't think we would have been able to do this without the mystery and continuing tick of newpix. As I noted above, each newpix causes speculation. Whether it is slow sea rise where we are examining pixels of an otherwise unchanged sandcastlescape, or bee-snakes and molpys, we jump all over it and speculate endlessly. We also entertain ourselves between newpix with the aformentioned distractions, but those alone don't derail things as effectively as a newpix.

The collaboration was established early. An example: when we first realized we might lose a frame, mscha programmed the newpixbot. Initially it was programmed to collect and publish the new ong as soon as it became available, but people complained they would have no chance to publish and comment themselves. So mscha graciously backed off and now the newpixbot posts 10 [heresy]minutes[/heresy] after the [heresy]hour[/hour]. I've seen that again and again in the OTT; the spirit is collaborative. Nobody seems worried about whether their stanza ends up in the Jabber-walky, just that we get the best product.

There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I am misquoted or feel I'm referred to disparagingly, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I have disagreements about what is proper etiquette for posting or what the direction of the OTT should be, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. However, I need to remember, that it isn't personal. Everyone I have ever seen post in this forum has behaved nicely, even when they were irritated. I can light a match, but I'm better off letting it go out before I get burned, before I let my emotion take me over.

Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening. SBN pointed out that we can resolve differences only if we know them. I think of that as a another reminder not to take things personally. You may not know that your opinion pushes one of my buttons. I opined in another post that contribution to the thread need not only be poetry, hats, images, graphs but can be just appreciation for one another; the social glue that reminds us that we are all part of the same group, human or bot.

Of course, since I'm emotional about the OTT, this very idea may be the one that I keep the match burning on.

Enough. I'm very happy to be part of this thread, and once again I appreciate all that all of you have done. I don't appreciate all the time it takes away from my Outside responsibilities, but I can't have everything.

And, just to derail the main thought of this post and avoid double posting, here are some random/miscellaneous thoughts

Perhaps MobTeeseboose is not lurking Time, but some other xkcd forum. It may be the newpix bot of that other forum, except that it doesn't post, it just scrapes information for some Sciscitor like graphs.

Newpix is the base unit. For some reason the Outside sped up after the first few newpix.

Here here! I raise my glass to you! Indeed, this is currently the ONLY continuous thread of which I am currently engaged, for it is the only one for which the spirit of the thread and the camaraderie of the community persists.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames. <snip>

Good stuff...
Just wanted to quickly confirm that ...
ttscp wrote:Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

... this was about newpixbot's DONG. I'm sorry if I didn't make that obvious.

Edit: from me and newpixbot
(No idea what it says. I apologise in advance if necessary...)

Happy millennial post! It looks like it says dong bei...shen me? I don't recognize that last character. In mandarin those first two characters are East and North. Dui bu qi, my chinese is very rusty.

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
Mikeski wrote:Why do people flame? <snip>
Unless you consider the whimsy the "signal" and the on-topic stuff the "noise", then it's un-flame-able due to ... how do you disrupt chaos?

I think it often starts with simple mis-communication. One of the worst flame wars I've seen was on a parenting forum, where a poster said she thought one bathroom per resident of a house was stupid. Flames erupted, as people told her she shouldn't call such things stupid, and others said it was, because it was environmentally unfriendly, or whatever. Eventually, the OP managed to chime in, and point out that her statement was a comment on her own house, and she should certainly be able to make whatever judgement about it she wanted to.
A different forum I'm in, had flames erupt, people got called witches, etc. Good humor saved the day, and more. T-shirts were made and sold to the 'witches' End result was more than $1000 donated to a cause we all care deeply about.
I do hope the OTC isn't ever so off-topic as to be noise, but we wouldn't have this community without the whimsy. We could all just load up The Book of Aubron and enjoy the comic privately, but it wouldn't be the same. I wouldn't enjoy it as much.
How do you disrupt chaos? Clean it. But please don't. I like my chaos.

One bathroom per resident!? My cats do not have their own litter box, never mind their own bathroom. They have learned to share two between the four of them and they shall continue to do so. Please do not give them such ideas as their own bathroom, thank you.

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:
rvloon wrote:Maybe be a little bit less ambitious[ than the Canterbury tales] but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald

I am so down for parody tarot cards. We could assign a few cards to each person who's willing to do them.

I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

(Hmm, and I should fix up those nasty edges if we're going to do this.)

Wonderful!

xpatiate wrote:After I made that comment earlier about Stick Figure Megan looking out of place in Detailed Silhouette World, something started niggling at me and this was the only way I could put it to rest...

helpmemolpy.png
[/spoiler]

I laughed. :mrgreen:

Good coma everyone. Stay devote and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon May 27, 2013 5:08 am UTC

BEWARETHEPLUMMETINGACORNONG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
Received this by PM:

HAL9000 wrote:Depending on your location in the block of unread pages, there's either one or two more semi-rants of mine. One of them is about something unrelated to posting protocols ("BlitzGirl numbers," you'll get to it eventually if you haven't yet), and was me making sure that we didn't start taking something too seriously. The other is about double (and sometimes triple) posts and their being against the rules (that part of it was a little angry), snipping unnecessary parts of lengthy posts, and my personal thoughts (but no suggestions) on use of spoilers for lengthy content. In that post I also explained my method for reading posts (I only skim posts that are continuing conversations I have nothing to add to, such as a discussion about if and how "Lego" is pluralized in which everything I could have said had already been said by someone else).
Both of them, I placed inside spoilers and marked as being on those topics.

As a thread, we've agreed to stop discussing how one or some of us are posting unless it gets completely out of hand. Making sure you understand that.

If you have an issue with me, or with any other specific user, you should deal with it via PM, rather than post in-thread about it. If you can give me the link(s) to the vindictive posts in question, I can edit something in saying that I've moved on from those topics, and won't be bitter at anyone who posts in a way that differs from mine.

I disagree that these issues have to be deal by private messages, as I think it doesn't only concern involved parties, but everyone on the thread (those who are saddened by your "suggestions", other people that also suggest what content or in what way it should be presented in the thread, while I think it should be "free-for-all"). As much as I love reading the thread and all the great things that people post, it's people like you that make me not wish to know what thing will be nitpicked up next. You were one of the main people that made BlitzGirl sad and caused the delay of her awesome present present, you were the main person that almost made me keep blitzing in silence, and I'm quite certain you're also responsible for discouraging people for doing something they enjoyed doing, or have changed the way in where people have been posting for the worse (because they can no longer do it the way they were doing it, they have to do it your way) and that's because your opinion is important to us.

You have the power to make the thread a more pleasing place to be, or to discourage people like me from following it. You're doing the latter. Please let people be who they are, keeping on explaining why you dislike the way they post or what they are posting isn't helping any, just makes people change, and that's alienation.

These matters should not remain private, they concern the whole thread, and if you can keep posting your opinions about what people should do/shouldn't do, so can I.

Now, I'm going to read this thread in slow-motion mode, I got emotional attachment to it and dislike drama like this. It was surely easier to deal with it when I was in the past and these things were happening a week ago, now that they're happening now I can't just let them pass, and the issues become bigger and bigger by just talking about them (I think I've been guilty of it), I'll let them go.

Please don't send another PM just so "I read it faster" anything that concerns me in the thread concerns everyone else that wants to read the message, I consider y'all a big family, and don't want secrets.

I don't think pointing fingers is the best way to solve anything...the Present Present was delay for the general mood of the thread, remember, not any specific posts. And he did raise valid points, albeit in a bit of an antagonistic way. Which is understandable, as the issues raised did present concerns.

But now I'm going and criticizing people and that makes me no better than them, so I'll stop. Quite frankly, I don't care what people post so long as it's tangentially related and not overly provocative. This place is pretty 8.

Neat.

k.bookbinder wrote: I think things like fermented drinks came about as the result of two guys standing around looking at it, with a conversation similar to what follows:
Spoiler:
"What's that smell?"
"The wheat pot."
"The wheat pot? What happened to it?"
"Filled with water. Ugg forgot to cover it."
"Idiot. Smells funny. What's that floating on the top?"
"Dunno. Dump it."
"What a waste...think we could use it for something? All that grain. Hate to throw it out."
"Just dump it. It's ruined.
"I dunno. Maybe we can dry the grains again."
"You want to use it? You try to use it."
"Fine. I will. Bet I could just take this stuff of the top. You know it doesn't smell that bad really."
"Hey, dare you to drink it."
"What!?"
"The water. Drink it."
"Ew no!"
"Come on, you're the one that wants to use it for something. Drink the water."
"No!"
"I'll give you 10 shells to drink it. Go on!"
"15!"
"Fine. Shake on it."
"Alright, here it goes...aw man! Aw, it feels funny in my mouth!. Like...bubbles."
"That must taste disgusting! I can't believe you drank that!"
"No, it's not bad. Tastes alright, just feels funny. Try it."
"No way!"
"Come on, keep your 15 shells and try it."
"Hey! Not bad. I kind of like the mouth feel. Strain the grains out and just keep the water."
"Yeah, what do we call it?"
"Well you tried it first. We'll call it Beer."
"Never had a drink named after myself."
"Hey guys, heard the news?"
"No."
"Ugg's dead."
"What? What happened?"
"I kind of bet him 10 shells to eat this thing we found in the forest."
"Oh?"
"Yeah. Don't eat the little red mushrooms you find growing on the ground. The red ones are definitely bad."

That was funny :lol: I would enjoy more of the Adventures of Beer and Ugg :D

(Yeah, ugg was the guy that died, but he was the only other named character :P )
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon May 27, 2013 5:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon May 27, 2013 5:11 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:Well...Here's the list and some suggestions:
0 The Fool-Cueball, of course.
1 The Magician-Keiyrn or Scissitor
2 The High Priestess-Blitzgirl
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
5 The Hierophant-Helper, as first pope
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
12 The Hanged Man-Newpixbot
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
15 The Devil-BuffyGirl's evil hat
16 The Tower- Sandcastle. Duh.
17 The Star-Scissito's Constellation
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax
21 The World-A screenshot of the OTT

Any other suggestions, or arguments with this?
Edited to add sandcastle for tower.

If you want to somehow use the skull in my avatar for the "Death" card, you're welcome to use that as well.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 5:26 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ergman wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine reminds me of an unfortunate mistake I made when I joined the forum:
Spoiler:
Using my real name on a non-professional social site.

Could I go back to the past, I'd likely go with TheLincolnshirePoacher or dm214.

That's a very interesting thing to know

My name or the alternatives?
Spoiler:
(pause)
Ding, dong
Ding, dong
Ding, dong
(pause)

You're a happy camper?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 27, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Nobody asked about avatars, but it sort of goes with the question about forum handles. My avatar is a scroll saw snowflake. Mirror symmetry with rotation of three. I free cut it as an exercise, trying to learn how to use the scroll saw and liked the result enough that I mounted it.
I became fascinated with snowflakes (the paper kind) a while ago, started cutting more and more intricate patterns and strange symmetries (three rotations, and translations) got dissatisfied with paper (it slides when you cut it as in traditional snowflakes so the pattern doesn't repeat quite correctly), and developed a computer program. Got the scroll saw to investigate a different way of doing it.

Here, since you asked, is one of the computer generated snowflakes.
Attachments
VoodooEyes.gif
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 5:40 am UTC

It has been a long Time since I've used my bard skills on the OTT, but I see a need:

Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
Spoiler:
Here is a little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.

In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double

Don't worry; feed squirpys!

Those angry words run through your head
Somebody bugs you on the Thread

A poster throws out some flamebait
Need to coma 'cause it's getting late
(Look at that great squirpy.)
(Here I give you Present Present
When you worry read it
It make you happy)

Can't find a way to load that file
No newpix for a little while
But don't worry. Feed squirpys.

Cause when you worry
You might fall down
And that will crumble castle-town
So don't worry. Feed squirpys.
(Don't worry; feed squirpys now!)

There is this little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote

Listen to what I type
In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double
Feed squirpys now!

(Don't worry, don't flame it, feed squirpys
Put a smile on your face
Don't light everybody up like this
Don't worry, it'll soon be a pastpost, way back in Time)
Don't worry; feed squirpys.

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Received this by PM:

<snip>

and that's because your opinion is important to us.

I totally agree with Vytron and this ^ is probably the crux of the matter.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon May 27, 2013 5:56 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:After I made that comment earlier about Stick Figure Megan looking out of place in Detailed Silhouette World, something started niggling at me and this was the only way I could put it to rest...

Spoiler:
helpmemolpy.png

Oh yeah, mother Teresa.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Don't leave, Megan! You and Squirpy belONG together!

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Don't leave, Megan! You and Squirpy belONG together!

Why are we calling it squirpy? It looks like a plain old squirrel to me.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 am UTC

Kay. Just doing another brief check-in to say:

@Blitzgirl: Love the new song!

@Everyone: Jabberwocky turned out great. :) Y'all would've done Lewis Carroll proud. By the way, if he were still alive, he'd totally be here on the forum with us. He was a total nerd. Besides children's fiction, he also wrote math textbooks. It's said that after Alice in Wonderland became an instant runaway bestseller that the Queen (Victoria, if I remember correctly...) personally requested to be the first to read whatever he published next. She was a bit surprised when he sent her a Calculus textbook in the mail a few months later!

Also, I've done yet more wiki maintenance-- started creating a few more pages for periods. But I'll have to do more later. Thanks to whoever created an entry for Molpy! I've started leaving spots in the period pages I'm creating to make a record of Molpy sightings during that period. Have any of our most skilled master molpy-hunters ever put together a master list of molpy sightings?
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 6:08 am UTC

ttscp wrote:

It appears to be made of semencancercoffeebaconbabiesonice, unlike Outside squirrels.
Like the molpy, it appears only in stealthy silhouette, with no visible features.
Thus, the squirpy-squirrel, or squirpy.

(We will still know what you mean if you call it a squirrel.)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon May 27, 2013 6:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ttscp wrote:

It appears to be made of semencancercoffeebaconbabiesonice, unlike Outside squirrels.
Like the molpy, it appears only in stealthy silhouette, with no visible features.
Thus, the squirpy-squirrel, or squirpy.

(We will still know what you mean if you call it a squirrel.)

Good enough. I had forgotten the semencancercoffeebaconbabiesonice construction material.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:... It's said that after Alice in Wonderland became an instant runaway bestseller that the Queen (Victoria, if I remember correctly...) personally requested to be the first to read whatever he published next. She was a bit surprised when he sent her a Calculus textbook in the mail a few months later!

Amusing if true, though I found a page (planetmath) which says the legend it was a dedication in a book (An Elementary Treatise on Determinants) but that while that book exists there isn't any dedication. But the page also says it was adapted from Wikipedia, so who knows?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon May 27, 2013 6:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
kenmelken wrote:... It's said that after Alice in Wonderland became an instant runaway bestseller that the Queen (Victoria, if I remember correctly...) personally requested to be the first to read whatever he published next. She was a bit surprised when he sent her a Calculus textbook in the mail a few months later!

Amusing if true, though I found a page (planetmath) which says the legend it was a dedication in a book (An Elementary Treatise on Determinants) but that while that book exists there isn't any dedication. But the page also says it was adapted from Wikipedia, so who knows?

Yeah, I've never known the validity of the story for sure, but I've always hoped it's true, and it actually does fit well with his personality and it is true that the Queen was known to be a fan of his books--but really everyone in England was as the time. The Alice novels were the Harry Potter of their day. And he was in fact a mathematician. My fiancee actually has collected one of his textbooks (she is also a mathematician).
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If that weren't a wild squirpy-squirrel, I'd want Megan to adopt it and take it along with her on the journey. So cute!
Spoiler:

Chronicles of Narnia reference, right?

Forgot this quote-tab was still open in my browser. Yes. :wink:

Oh, and Megan looks pregnant again:
(I may have altered the position of her limbs a little...)

Spoiler:
PregnantMegan.png
PregnantMegan.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 14965 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:46 am UTC

To Vytron, because I have a feeling this is going to end up in the thread regardless of how I send this to him:
Spoiler:
I'll keep this quick, to minimize the risk of being outright rude.
Vytron wrote:You were one of the main people that made BlitzGirl sad and caused the delay of her awesome present present, you were the main person that almost made me keep blitzing in silence, and I'm quite certain you're also responsible for discouraging people for doing something they enjoyed doing, or have changed the way in where people have been posting for the worse.

This seems like it's a problem with me (and possibly a few other users) in particular. It's really best to resolve that sort of thing in a place where it's not going to derail the conversation at all.
Vytron wrote:You have the power to make the thread a more pleasing place to be, or to discourage people like me from following it. You're doing the latter. Please let people be who they are, keeping on explaining why you dislike the way they post or what they are posting isn't helping any, just makes people change, and that's alienation.

Edit3: This next italicized bit isn't a threat that I might eventually go to the moderators. I was trying to say that I've never gotten angry enough to try to do something about it, and I don't think I ever will. I'll leave it up to other users to decide if something's worth taking up with a moderator.
I haven't issued any direct commands to the community in general, and when I've had an issue with a specific user, I have taken it up with them via private message, because I don't want this thread falling apart. If a user doesn't feel like conforming to my opinions, I will by no means be angry with them, though I may make a polite request for them to change if their conduct is especially angering or is in frequent violation of the rules. Nothing's been nearly serious enough for me to even consider taking it to a moderator for them to resolve.

If any of my posts were somewhat distressing to you, then perhaps it might be a good idea to direct me to the aggravating posts in question, so I can place warning labels on them for others who may read them. Some of them are already spoilered, others may not be. To tell the truth, I don't remember, because I've made the decision to not pursue those things any further. As long as you aren't overlapping your quote and spoiler tags (thus mucking up the thread's formatting), I'll accept however a user chooses to post (with the exception of extreme and intentional rules violations).

ETA: Whoop de doo. Top o' the page.
ETA2 to remove rudeness that slipped through.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon May 27, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Looks like Squirpy's coming down to eat-ONG:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Also, I've done yet more wiki maintenance

Thanks! It's been a long time since anyone's said anything about working on the wiki, so there probably hasn't been much added to it recently. I was almost starting to forget about it myself.

Unrelated:
I'm finally starting to ditch this insomnia, so it's finally bedcomatime for me.
ETA: 800th inthread post!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”