1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 27, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

That was funny :lol: I would enjoy more of the Adventures of Beer and Ugg :D

(Yeah, ugg was the guy that died, but he was the only other named character :P )

Not a problem. "You killed Ugg! You bastards!"
Tune in next [week] to see Ugg get killed some other way.

Edit: despite posting responses from stuff a couple NewPages apart, this ended up the back-end of a double-post. What's a fellow to do? Is everyone else coma-ed out this early on Memorial Day?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 27, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Edit: despite posting responses from stuff a couple NewPages apart, this ended up the back-end of a double-post. What's a fellow to do? Is everyone else coma-ed out this early on Memorial Day?

Nope, I just got some work to do.
This happens from time to time.
Can't help it.
(Damn)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 27, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Ketchup⁸ time... Image

Pikrass wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: from me and newpixbot
Spoiler:

(No idea what it says. I apologise in advance if necessary...)

Well, I learn Japanese and not Chinese, but I can tell you the first character is East and the second is North. The third I don't know, but I can try to figure it out.

Thanks, but I've already replaced the cake in my original post by one without writing. (I had about 30 seconds yesterdix before Outside interference, when I noticed (well, Hal noticed) my 1000th post, so it was a bit of a rush job...)
Also, thanks y'all for the congratulations. I'm not entirely sure whether it's to be congratulated for or to be embarrassed about, but, well, thanks anyway.

BlitzGirl, very ⁴ anti-flame badge! And so are your musical flame quenching efforts. (The good news, I've finally got Boom De Yada out of my head. The bad news ... well, you get the idea.) I hope they start working soon...

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:A bit late, but it's never to late to call out heresy.
Eternal Density wrote:Oh, there's a 'some' which it may or not be okay to take. I don't think it's a vineyard, but maybe a vine0.9144metres

Heretic!
Approximately half a vinecue.

Honestly, I'm not sure I understand this, so I chose not to pursue it. If you want to take care of it, I'll deputize you to the inquisition.

Eternal Density converts a vineyard to metric. That would be a wise and sensible thing to do in the Outside, but since this vinemeasurement is in the OTC, it is highly heretic.
But OK, I'll take this one. Eternal Density, please make yourself comfortable in the Comfty Sofa. Do you have any preference for type of chocolate or other sweets you want to be mildly pelted with?
Whoops, I wasn't thinking properly! I fully accept a pelting as my due. Here is my choice of ammunition.

That'll do nicely. If you'll just sit .... um, oops, it appears I've eaten all of the ammunition (yummy). I'm afraid I'll have to let you get off scot-free. Image

HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:And in other news, I can't see Hal9000's monolith anymore...

It's still there, but is hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. It's the rectangle bounded on the top by the light (shining over its top) and on the bottom by my "eye," and is a little narrower than the panel the "eye" is mounted on. You can identify its horizontal boundaries by looking for the lighter grey of the panel on either side of it, as it's not quite as wide as the panel.

Hal, maybe you can make a simple animated GIF with your original (hatted) avatar plus your new one in rotation? I'd be happy to generate it for you if you post your original avatar.

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

Poor old newpixbot... Card looks awesome though!
(I wish I had thought of that, to hang newpixbot from an OTC tree (either ⁷ or the current unadectivized one). Much better than from a ceiling...)

ucim wrote:
ttscp wrote:Newpix is the base unit. For some reason the Outside sped up after the first few newpix.
I really like that view of things. I will note however that "day" is canonical, not heretical. The Cuegan use that term, and it seems to mean the same kind of thing we mean by it on the outside. Their days may not match up to ours, but that is true on Mars too.

My view on this is:
1: The use of units like ‘day’ is canonical when used Inside (the OTC), as long as it refers to their days, not ours. Unfortunately, we know very little about the passing of time within Time, so usually it's better to use newpix and derived units.
2: The use of ‘day’ is fine when talking about the Outside.
3: The only thing that's heretical, is to use Outside days (and hours, etc.) when referring to OTC events. (Example: it's [heresy]two days[/heresy] since Cuegan left the vine½cue.)
Makes sense?

Welcome to the Present, partingLance!

ChronosDragon, I love the recursive animation! Reminds me of this (from the pre-YouTube era). [Off-topic but cool.]

XonqNopp wrote:

Hey I was wondering if you could also display the timestamps of creation and modification in your lists?

I'll see what I can do, when I get some ... (wait for it).
In the meantime, as of yesterdix, no changes. All frames are the exact same as they have been for the past few wix, and all timestamps are from the 1st of May.

That'll have to do, this took out way too much of my [Outside]working day[/Outside] already... Just a quick observation about the OTC: that was a fun squirply zoomy interlude, now back to our regular OTC schedule of filling up on stolen grapes.

(Read it all, enjoyed most of it, even if I didn't comment on it. Image )
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon May 27, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:<snip>
Is everyone else coma-ed out this early on Memorial Day?

It's usually quite calm at this time of dayH,1 (except for newpixbot, which might have its peak time around these hours). It's good for us Europeans: we can easily follow the thread while actually getting some outside work done :-)

1 I'm not sure if "H : heresy" is considered as a standard, but it should....
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon May 27, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

AK49BWL wrote::shock: :shock: What have I done... The Outside ate me alive. I must resist skipping 106 Newpages!! :shock:

Help.....me.........

*gives support, having missed about 70-80 myself*

(Hi, all others, I know you may not care seeing as this is from Long Ago, but I do)

Or maybe you've got there now and I'm responding to something that is obsolete, but who cares? Well done for it, anyway!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

coma coma coma - BONG
- time to wake kiddies. The saga continues.

Not a drug reference. Sorry.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon May 27, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Nice! Thanks!
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
[Scene 2: exterior - dawn]
Fade in to reveal the sunrise behind some mostly barren hills, which are still covered in morning mist. The air is still, and the sound of the sea is heard, far away but ever present. The camera pans right to reveal three large tents, and we see two clerical figures conversing animatedly.
first cleric wrote:We cannot have the ceremony here; that is preposterous. Listen to the sea!

second cleric wrote:We are high enough here. The sea cannot reach us.

first cleric wrote:The sea can do anything it wants! Have you already forgotten the last time?

[close up] on second cleric. We can now see that it is the Pope of the Holy Contradiction himself. He is deep in thought.
the Pope wrote:Yes, I remember. It was tragic. But we will never escape the sea. We can only live with it. We must do what we must do.

The matter settled, the Pope turns away and walks off. The first cleric catches up to him as the camera follows.
first cleric wrote:There is also the matter of... how shall I put it... this BlitzGirl you wish to honor. I don't see how we can do this. It goes against everything we believe in.

the Pope, stopping and turning sharply towards him, wrote:... and just what do we believe in?

The cleric is silent.
the Pope wrote:There is but one commandment. "Wait for it". There is no other.

first cleric wrote:But you refuse to wait for it. You want to have the commemoration here, now. And you're crowning another patriarch!
the Pope wrote:Oh, so that's it. I ask you, did Flado not have a Great Chasm in his soul?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he did... from the One True Comic.

the Pope wrote:Did he not embark on a Sacred Quest to fill this gap by drinking from the One True Thread?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he admitted to that himself.

the Pope wrote:has he not completed his Quest? Is he not verily now in the Present?

first cleric wrote:Yes, he is here. But...

the Pope wrote:But what?

The mist is now gone, and the pope is lit full on by the rising sun. He turns and grasps the cleric by the shoulder.
the Pope wrote:He has fulfilled the requirements and is a BlitzGirl. This is a most Glorious thing, and must not go unnoticed.

first cleric wrote:But he is... of the other faith!

the Pope wrote:Yes, it does seem a little contradictory that the Pope of the Holy Contradiction is canonizing the Undisputed Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church. But he's retired.

first cleric wrote:... and if he weren't retired, would that be a paradox?

the Pope, after thinking a moment, wrote:Yes, and no.

[cut to: exterior, early evening] Wide shot of the hillsides. They are mostly barren; loose gravel of some sort. The sea is in the distance. The sound of a distant ram's horn is heard. As if in response, we hear a similar call from the left. The camera pulls back a bit to reveal the back of the head of a herald, who puts a ram's horn to his lips sounds the call. The camera continues to pan back and we see that we are on the highest hill, and gathered below us are throngs of people, waiting for it in eager anticipation. The Pope and his First Cleric climb the few feet that lie between them and the crest of the hill, and turn to address the crowd.
the Pope, in a voice that fills the wilderness, wrote:Behold, behind you, the sea. The sea is great, and big, and does what it wants. We are nothing next to it, but that does not mean that we are nothing. For the sea itself is made of tiny drops, each of which is also nothing next to the sea, but they make up the sea.

Each new dix is nothing next to the enormity of time, but each dix is our dix, and we can do with it what we want. How we spend our dix defines who we are. Our Flado has chosen to spend his dix in Holy Quest, and we are gathered here to recognize and honor him for his Great Deed.

There is a rushing sound, as if from the sea, and the whole of the congregation instinctively turns to look. But the sea is as it always was. The first cleric goes up to the Pope.
first cleric wrote:Watch what you say. I don't want another disaster.

The crowd turns back to the podium, where a bird is now flying overhead. There is a gasp, and the Pope looks up.
the Pope, continuing, wrote:In our lives, sometimes we leave signposts. Sometimes we see signs.

He gestures towards the bird.
the Pope wrote:This day we commemorate and celebrate Flado, who by virtue of completing a Holy BlitzQuest, is to be recognized as a True and Worthy BlitzGirl.

And so it is on this day that we are ourselves graced with a sign - the very symbol of flight, of freedom, of vision, that blesses our Flado and his Quest.

Flado, I bid you rise, and kneel.

Flado comes forward from the front of the crowd. He has been Waiting For It!
the Pope wrote:Flado, in honor of your having been with the One True Thread since its early days, yet having felt the Great Chasm and embarked on a most Holy and Glorious Quest of Fulfillment, and in doing so, having thusly and properly experienced Time in its own time, by the power vested in me as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction and through the witness of the Great First Bird above, do I hereby consecrate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next, that it be known for all Time and for all of time that you have truly and properly Waited For It.

The herald sounds the ram's horn again, and over each of the hilltops, the sound is carried and echoed throughout the land. There is great cheering from the crowds, and the banners are waved up and down and left and right in curvy fashions, so as to not release raptors. The crowd carries Flado away in grand celebration, and as it gets underway, the first cleric rushes up to the Pope and says
first cleric wrote:How could you have done this?? A Contradiction blessing a Paradox! It is heresy!

the Pope wrote:Heresy, you say? Look up in the sky and tell me what sign you see?

first cleric wrote:It is a bird, your pontiffness.

the Pope wrote:Yes, a bird. And out of that bird comes enlightenment. Continue to look up, close your eyes, and wait for it.

He didn't have to wait long.
Jose

<--previous (NP 539) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next(NP 609)-->
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

I was thinking that if this all goes well, then by NP10500 or so, they might have a good vintage.

I'll drink to that (but not so early).
Spoiler:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 20349 times

Alas, Cork Oak isn't native to Madagascar.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Flado

Postby Flado » Mon May 27, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
pelrigg wrote:hey TheMinim look at your post count and the page number hint

Wow - 99 was a nice number, far better than 100, but yet I shall delve into the binary anyway. :D Can't wait for 111.

Well then - congratulations on your 111th post - a good use of my 100th100
----
100 Слонобикозъбесто награбадабърче.
-

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Blindpost. 20NP. Oh my Randall...
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

My day to - ONG?
Images seem a bit late today.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Mon May 27, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Another thing to think about - we have seen that Megan is of average or above average intelligence. She actively tried to feed a squirrel. Thus, the squirrels are not potentially rabid in her area.

Yeah, I'm just posting random things. I do this often, clearly.... hope y'all don't mind.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Another thing to think about - we have seen that Megan is of average or above average intelligence. She actively tried to feed a squirrel. Thus, the squirrels are not potentially rabid in her area.

Yeah, I'm just posting random things. I do this often, clearly.... hope y'all don't mind.

Well, otherwise smart people do do stupid/foolish things. Look at us all here for two months+. :D

Actually, no, I haven't been sitting here, finger on the trigger, all morning. I've been out and about.
-- Charlie Grumbles

akacat

Postby akacat » Mon May 27, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
xpatiate wrote:Me too, except banana. Interesting fact: if you put a ripe banana in a thin fabric bag, with your wallet and keys and other important stuff, and take it into a moshpit for an hour, then... well, don't do that.

Is there any way at all that taking a ripe banana into a moshpit could end well?

Unlikely. But there are many ways in which it could end in hilarity.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 27, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Images seem a bit late today.

Not here, FWIW. Newpixbot has retrieved every single newpix in the past wix within two, usually one millinewpix (7.2 / 3.6 heretic seconds).
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Flado wrote:----

Dare I ask for a translation? PM if required for decency.
-- Charlie Grumbles

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Mon May 27, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

As far as I understand it's about Elephant-bull-toothed somethings... I guess he must mean the molpies? :wink:
"This Thread goes ever on and on,
down from the Page where it began.
Now far ahead the Thread has gone
and we must ketchup if we can"

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

As far as I understand it's about Elephant-bull-toothed somethings... I guess he must mean the molpies? :wink:

Good to see I pulled you out of hiding/lurking.
Since it was post 100, I was expecting something exotic.
As in (insert Gilda Radner quote here).
-- Charlie Grumbles

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon May 27, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

The world is apparently full of words which, searched by google, only appear in the One True Topic.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:The world is apparently full of words which, searched by google, only appear in the One True Topic.

Not only a new religion, but new languages as well. Or the OTL
(one true language, as if that wasn't obvious)
-- Charlie Grumbles

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Mon May 27, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Good to see I pulled you out of hiding/lurking.
Since it was post 100, I was expecting something exotic.
As in (insert Gilda Radner quote here).

Wasn't hiding, exactly. After my "Oh me yarm I must read all of this!"-Blitz, I arrived in the future and created an account, only to fall back again some 20 pages or so.
I got to the present just now, and this was just begging to be answered, since Flado mysteriously disappeared seconds before you asked.

Now I feel kind of awkward for lurking so long. Therefore, have some telepathically offered newbie-cake!

PS: Why is my (heretical) "oh-emm-gee" being changed for "Gee Willikers"? Are we back in the Madness?

EDIT: Ok, it was just changed in the Post Preview... Weird, did I miss something?

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Mon May 27, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

This is late-ish in two senses -- the squirpy-squirrel period, and the double-dactyl craze may both be behind us -- but to paraphrase someone earlier, I often encounter bandwagons only when they're rusting ironmongery by the roadside.

Nemmine. (Ahem... mi-mi-mi...).

Tilt-a-whirl, knit 'n' purl
Megan and squirpy-squirrel
Foraging warily
Under a tree.
Tame beast, or feral beast?
Either way, up the tree --
Madagascarily?
Wait, and we'll see!

The second line, arguably, is a bit dubious, but then everyone I know pronounces "squirrel" as one long syllable (maybe one-and-a-half). Anyway, having thought of "Madagascarily," I hope you'll agree I had to find a way to use it.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon May 27, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Wow, Megan just spent a whole day feeding a squirrel!

Ooh, M&Ms! :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 27, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Here's the completed Merpy⁰ animation – 25 frames. (Not as pretty as BlitzGirl's version.)

⁰: You know, like Cuegan.

Also, partingLance, nice job on the d-dactyl. (Great find, ‘Madagascarily’.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 27, 2013 3:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Google Translate wrote:Did you mean: Слонобикозъбесто грабадабър.

I don't know? Did I?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" Creativity, numbers, and distance

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

There is a lot of creativity here, not just actors and mathematicians. It struck me that there are other "meaningful" distances that could be measured. All that is required is (a) a prominent member of a class, (b) a way to connect an individual in the class (even peripherally) to that member through collaborations with others, and (c) a public record of the chain of connections.

For example. If you have played in a band with people who have played in a band, ... you might have a well defined "Bob Dylan Number". Or similar for a classical musician connected to Stravinsky who conducted as well as composed.

Harder for poets, who don't often publish jointly, though they do often work collaboratively.

If you write sci fi and have been published in anthologies, you may have a Gene Wolfe number or an Ursula K. Le Guin number. It might not even require co-authoring a story, just being included in the same (published) collection.

Any ideas? Anyone want to have a go?

---
On another note, maybe the guests/lurkers here think of them selves as visiting a zoo, watching the crazy antics of the denizens. Good, then, that we don't throw feces, as they do in some other (not to be mentioned) zoos.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 27, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Still at the vineyONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I don't know? Did I?

And of course, the English translation (from the Bulgarian) is
Slonobikozabesto grabadabar
Sorry, I don't catch that. Say it again?
-- Charlie Grumbles

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Nobody asked about avatars, but it sort of goes with the question about forum handles. My avatar is a scroll saw snowflake. Mirror symmetry with rotation of three. I free cut it as an exercise, trying to learn how to use the scroll saw and liked the result enough that I mounted it.
I became fascinated with snowflakes (the paper kind) a while ago, started cutting more and more intricate patterns and strange symmetries (three rotations, and translations) got dissatisfied with paper (it slides when you cut it as in traditional snowflakes so the pattern doesn't repeat quite correctly), and developed a computer program. Got the scroll saw to investigate a different way of doing it.

Here, since you asked, is one of the computer generated snowflakes.

My avatar used to be me. But when buffygirl made me a hat, she, well she actually made me a hat in a rather literal sense, for now I am a ball of binding twine and a book for a hat.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
It has been a long Time since I've used my bard skills on the OTT, but I see a need:

Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
Here is a little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.

In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double

Don't worry; feed squirpys!

Those angry words run through your head
Somebody bugs you on the Thread

A poster throws out some flamebait
Need to coma 'cause it's getting late
(Look at that great squirpy.)
(Here I give you Present Present
When you worry read it
It make you happy)

Can't find a way to load that file
No newpix for a little while
But don't worry. Feed squirpys.

Cause when you worry
You might fall down
And that will crumble castle-town
So don't worry. Feed squirpys.
(Don't worry; feed squirpys now!)

There is this little song I wrote

Listen to what I type
Feed squirpys now!

(Don't worry, don't flame it, feed squirpys
Put a smile on your face
Don't light everybody up like this
Don't worry, it'll soon be a pastpost, way back in Time)
Don't worry; feed squirpys.

It was so great to read this first thing in the morning! Bobby McFerrin would be proud.

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
@k.bookbinder - I loved your Ugg/Beer story. Hehe, Beer as a name. :) Also, thanks for the response with my script. Try the new one too. Btw, what browser are you running it on?

I first ran the script on Friefox, for it would not seem to work properly on Chrome. But I seem to be able to run it on Chrome now.

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:One bathroom per resident!? My cats do not have their own litter box, never mind their own bathroom. They have learned to share two between the four of them and they shall continue to do so. Please do not give them such ideas as their own bathroom, thank you.

I belong to dogs, not cats, but I'm pretty sure the recommendation is for number of litter boxes to be number of cats plus one.
In any case, I believe the original thing was one bathroom per human resident. Which, oddly, seems both normal and excessive to me.

Ah. Human residents. OK. Makes sense. Still, the cats will just have to live with two boxes.

Flado wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow! An expert birder just in Time! Only in retrospect, of course.
waveney wrote:Time to de-lurk.
As a birder, I think it is a bird of prey - perhap a vulture or kestrel. It is not a small bird, from its wing shape it spends a lot of time flying, and is not a gull. From the first frame I thought it might be a swift, but definately not in the second frame. I think vulture is most likely in the desert.

:( Did you not see my observations of the Time Raptor and Molpy Heron?

cellocgw wrote:
Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:

That was funny :lol: I would enjoy more of the Adventures of Beer and Ugg :D

(Yeah, ugg was the guy that died, but he was the only other named character :P )

Not a problem. "You killed Ugg! You bastards!"
Tune in next [week] to see Ugg get killed some other way.

Edit: despite posting responses from stuff a couple NewPages apart, this ended up the back-end of a double-post. What's a fellow to do? Is everyone else coma-ed out this early on Memorial Day?

Indeed. I have many similar theories as to how other strange foods became, well foods. Perhaps I shall think of other Ugg adventures. Since Time has a grape vine, perhaps there shall be a wine based story.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Flado

Postby Flado » Mon May 27, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

StratPlayer, nodding head knowingly, wrote:See? It's ALL related!

I salute thee, fellow believer in the fundamental interconnectedness of all things!
-

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Mon May 27, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
SBN wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I don't know? Did I?

And of course, the English translation (from the Bulgarian) is

Well, it is Bulgarian, but it's kind of a nonsense-word (I'd put supercalifragilisticexpialadocious in the same category).
If you think it's a tongue-twister, wait til you hear some other Bulgarian words (not to mention tongue-twisters). I grew up with it and still can't pronounce some of them :D

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:And of course, the English translation (from the Bulgarian) is

Well, it is Bulgarian, but it's kind of a nonsense-word (I'd put supercalifragilisticexpialadocious in the same category).
If you think it's a tongue-twister, wait til you hear some other Bulgarian words (not to mention tongue-twisters). I grew up with it and still can't pronounce some of them :D

So is Slonobikozabesto grabadabar the phonetic (more or less) translation?

Hmmm. Answer and you hit 5. Time to think up a clever siggy.
-- Charlie Grumbles

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Mon May 27, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:And of course, the English translation (from the Bulgarian) is

So is Slonobikozabesto grabadabar the phonetic (more or less) translation?

Hmmm. Answer and you hit 5. Time to think up a clever siggy.

Yeah, it's how you could try to pronounce it. Of course, the autocorrect (don't remember which step that came in) cut off half the word, so it should actually be "slonobikozabesto nagrabadabarche" which would be the diminutive if that word had any connection to human grammar.

And of course, I don't really have a choice in what my sig would be, do I? Since ^that was what pulled me out of lurk-ketchup-blitz-mode :D

edit: typo (hat -> had). I'm apparently obsessed with hats already...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon May 27, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

LeahLemur wrote:
Yeah, it's how you could try to pronounce it. Of course, the autocorrect (don't remember which step that came in) cut off half the word, so it should actually be "slonobikozabesto nagrabadabarche" which would be the diminutive if that word hat any connection to human grammar.

And of course, I don't really have a choice in what my sig would be, do I? Since ^that was what pulled me out of lurk-ketchup-blitz-mode :D

It would be memorable, certainly. Even if not pronounceable.

Actually, this is a free world so take liberties if you will. And remember Fluffy's advice:
Spoiler:
HarpiePope.png

Fluffy came back from Cumbria. Hope the music scene there is still active.
-- Charlie Grumbles

LeahLemur

Postby LeahLemur » Mon May 27, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
LeahLemur wrote:
Yeah, it's how you could try to pronounce it. Of course, the autocorrect (don't remember which step that came in) cut off half the word, so it should actually be "slonobikozabesto nagrabadabarche" which would be the diminutive if that word hat any connection to human grammar.

It would be memorable, certainly. Even if not pronounceable.

Actually, this is a free world so take liberties if you will. And remember Fluffy's advice:
Spoiler:
HarpiePope.png

Fluffy came back from Cumbria. Hope the music scene there is still active.

Nah, I like it. Even though I don't have posts he could see, it feels good to be sigcouraging Flado to come back into the present to tell us what the second part of it means.
And since Dracomax's not online, I won't have to worry about being pelted with S&M's.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon May 27, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Camera laggONG...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon May 27, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

On np 719 Mikros wrote: I've been wondering about something I noticed in the past several np...

What is that flat spot to the left of the tree?
I was speculating to myself during my morning ketchup that it was a stream that Megs was about to get some water from, but the a np or so ago she went and stood on it. So. Not a stream. What then? A flat rock?

and Swein replied: My thought was that it was the same terrain as we have seen now and then now up in the hills. Just flatter. I thought of commenting about them earlier but couldn't find a good word in English for them. Anyway I think it is flat rocks as you say. Rocks that has been grinded flat by glaciers or whatever and where the grass haven't been able to establish itself.

On np 705, HAL9000 wrote:

On a different note, does it seem to anyone else that the ground Cueball and Megan are currently walking on/about to walk over is unnaturally flat? The patch of ground immediately in front of Cueball (he's in the act of stepping onto it) drops off on the other side at a rather sharp angle (would be a perfect 90º drop if it weren't for a slightly-off-from-black pixel at the apex of the corner), and the two small grassless patches near/underneath them are about as level as the sea was back when they were building sandcastles (solid black, with a single row of grayish pixels across all or almost all of the top).
ETA: I'd post an ENHANCE'd version of the part of the frame in question, but the most advanced image-editing software I have is Microsoft Word.

and ChronosDragon wrote replied:
Looks like an overgrown parking lot/road when you put it that way...

It does look like the profile of a track in the view on np 719, with the two flat patches right next to each other. There also seems to be another, wider flat bit closer to the bench, but I don't know whether or not it's truly flat.

There were several flat bits back in the hills like Swein mentioned; the ones that intrigued me weren't entirely flat but looked like there had been puddles between hillocks (frames 1299-1303) which had seeped away. There was also one slope that made me think of wave ripples on a shore (frames 1225-1227) But the beginning terrain after the hillocks, when they encounter the first vegetation, looks more like moor or peat bog, which doesn't really jibe with my ‘puddles’ theory. Has anyone else been musing about the geology, or am I the only rockish fangirl on the thread?

Higgs-Bosun wrote:

(BlueCrab: “charlie_grumbles, kenmelken mentioned the Rite of AshkEnte in his ‘I'm ENGAGED!’ post, and at least one other person referred to it in response. Pretty sure there've been a couple of others :D”)

I mentioned the Rite of AshkEnte (however mispelled) on NP 685. But there's earlier evidence of pratchetting: On NP 552 mikrit quoted Death from Small Gods playing chess.

I cannot believe we got 552 NPs without a Terry Pratchett quote.

I'm very sorry about that :oops: charlie_grumbles even pm'd me about it, but I kept forgetting to make the correction. And thanks for tracking down mikrit's reference for me; it's not that I'm lazy (although I admittedly am) it's these claws, you see. And the tiny screen - the warranty on my eyesight seems to have run out.

Edited to make readable, sorry about that!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

@BlitzGirl: Thanks for "Don't Worry, Feed Squripys." Perfect timing!

Speaking of relaxing, I know Margaritaville has already been "done," and very well, by StratPlayer. But, some of these lines came together in my head a few days ago and have been bouncing around ever since. Also, it seems the perfect song to include both OTT and OTC perspectives, while carrying the laid-back attitude over from the original. So with apologies to StratPlayer and Jimmy Buffett, I present:

Madagascarville

Buildin' sand castles
Free of all hassles
Nobody else here to use all these poles
Our castles might not last
As time seems to fly past
We doze and we swim without any goals

Tastin' the bay again in Madagascarville
Spitting out that last mouthful of salt
Some people claim that this slow comic is lame
But I know it's nobody's fault

Now we inquire
Why the sea's higher
Found a neat river, some trees and some vines
There's plenty of wildlife
But it's such a mild life
Nobody's here and we can't read the signs

Traipsin' all day again in Madagascarville
Just because there's no reason to halt
Some people claim this empty land is a shame
But I know it's nobody's fault

Must be a reason
I've been here all season
Sometimes it seems there's no more to be said
But each time I ketchup
My mind seems to fetch up
Another new theory to post in the thread

Pastin' my say again in Madagascarville
Adding to the One True Thread's gestalt
Some people claim it's all a nerd-sniping game
But I know it's my own damn fault.

ETA: Zounds, I'm the Vatican Milliner's Teenage Mutant Perfect Ninja Customer Turtle! Verily I say unto thee: cowabunga, in size 6-1/2, and thus infallibly declare Madagascarville to the the Official Song of the Newpage.

ETAA: Changed "catch up/hatch up" in the last stanza to "ketchup/fetch up," for verisimilitude, which is one of my favorite words. And a double-dactyl word too...

ETAAA: Changed "no one but us" to "nobody else" in the first stanza because it scans better and I'm being anal.
Last edited by Rule110 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:55 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 27, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Image (Thanks BlitzGirl, I now have my own personalised ketchup smiley :D)

Lots of discussion about how nice and non-flamey this place is… I think it's simply got something to do with the fact we're all united in our following of the OTC, and we all understand each other regarding why we enjoy it. I think the only way a real flame war could happen in this thread is if some heretic from the Outside were to come here and start accusing us of having no life etc. for following such a thing. That and the fact xkcd is an intelligent, creative, geeky comic which attracts intelligent, creative, geeky people. The best kind of people :D

SBN wrote:
edfel wrote:
ttscp wrote:There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint.

Since the usage here is to try and bring something new with every post (as opposed to, say, a single "lol"), it's always hard to tell when people pay attention to your post. The number of quotes tells you the number of people who found something to add, which is different from who found the post interesting/funny/good/...

Especially since "Me, too" posts are specifically discouraged. And, the speed of this thread makes it really easy for things to get overlooked, at least initially. So, yeah, not getting any response can mean any number of things, most of them at least neutral.

For the record, I've enjoyed the poems, songs, comics, etc. more than I've expressed.

Yes. It's often easy to forget that the people who quoted you are far from the only people who saw/enjoyed your post...
Dracomax wrote:
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:
ergman wrote:
rvloon wrote:Maybe be a little bit less ambitious[ than the Canterbury tales] but methinks we could attempt a Kamasutra (TimaWaita?)-style tome instead. Enough imagery here to capture all the positions in which one might wait. Or a Tarot! Oh, if my talents were in the graphical...

Ronald

I am so down for parody tarot cards. We could assign a few cards to each person who's willing to do them.

I can't draw, but I could maybe do a few in this style:
Tarot_theHangedBot.jpg
but not quickly.

(Hmm, and I should fix up those nasty edges if we're going to do this.)

Well...Here's the list and some suggestions:
0 The Fool-Cueball, of course.
1 The Magician-Keiyrn or Scissitor
2 The High Priestess-Blitzgirl
3 The Empress-Buffygirl
4 The Emperor-KarMann
5 The Hierophant-Helper, as first pope
6 The Lovers
7 The Chariot
8 or 11 Strength
9 The Hermit-Lapetite
10 Wheel of Fortune
11 or 8 Justice
12 The Hanged Man-Newpixbot
13 Death
14 Temperance-Hal9000
15 The Devil-BuffyGirl's evil hat
16 The Tower- Sandcastle. Duh.
17 The Star-Scissito's Constellation
18 The Moon
19 The Sun
20 Judgement-Dracomax
21 The World-A screenshot of the OTT

Any other suggestions, or arguments with this?
Edited to add sandcastle for tower.

As PagePope 666, perhaps I should be the devil? ;)
AluisioASG wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm interested in the background of some of your local "handles."

Mine reminds me of an unfortunate mistake I made when I joined the forum:
Spoiler:
Using my real name on a non-professional social site.

Could I go back to the past, I'd likely go with TheLincolnshirePoacher or dm214.

Interesting choice (TheLincolnshirePoacher), is it a reference to the numbers station? Or just the folk song itself? Or are you just from Lincolnshire and steal a lot? ;)
BlitzGirl wrote:It has been a long Time since I've used my bard skills on the OTT, but I see a need:

Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
Spoiler:
Here is a little song I wrote

Those angry words run through your head
Somebody bugs you on the Thread

A poster throws out some flamebait
Need to coma 'cause it's getting late
(Look at that great squirpy.)
(Here I give you Present Present
When you worry read it
It make you happy)

Can't find a way to load that file
No newpix for a little while
But don't worry. Feed squirpys.

Cause when you worry
You might fall down
And that will crumble castle-town
So don't worry. Feed squirpys.
(Don't worry; feed squirpys now!)

There is this little song I wrote

Listen to what I type
Feed squirpys now!

(Don't worry, don't flame it, feed squirpys
Put a smile on your face
Don't light everybody up like this
Don't worry, it'll soon be a pastpost, way back in Time)
Don't worry; feed squirpys.

Nice one :D

This squirpy feeding is reminding me of the time I was in the park with some friends and a squirpy stole a whole scone from us and dragged it up a tree4:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles wrote:There is a lot of creativity here, not just actors and mathematicians. It struck me that there are other "meaningful" distances that could be measured. All that is required is (a) a prominent member of a class, (b) a way to connect an individual in the class (even peripherally) to that member through collaborations with others, and (c) a public record of the chain of connections.

For example. If you have played in a band with people who have played in a band, ... you might have a well defined "Bob Dylan Number". Or similar for a classical musician connected to Stravinsky who conducted as well as composed. <snip>

I guess as a metal musician I could go for an "Black Sabbath Number"... I play in folk metal band WolfSword. Our upcoming album will feature a guest solo from Jacob Ziemba, guitarist from I AM I (1). The singer from I AM I is ZP Theart, ex-singer for DragonForce (2). DragonForce opened for Iron Maiden in 2011 (3). Iron Maiden opened for Black Sabbath at Ozzfest 2005... so my Black Sabbath Number would be 4 :D
k.bookbinder wrote:
ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
Nobody asked about avatars, but it sort of goes with the question about forum handles. My avatar is a scroll saw snowflake. Mirror symmetry with rotation of three. I free cut it as an exercise, trying to learn how to use the scroll saw and liked the result enough that I mounted it.
I became fascinated with snowflakes (the paper kind) a while ago, started cutting more and more intricate patterns and strange symmetries (three rotations, and translations) got dissatisfied with paper (it slides when you cut it as in traditional snowflakes so the pattern doesn't repeat quite correctly), and developed a computer program. Got the scroll saw to investigate a different way of doing it.

Here, since you asked, is one of the computer generated snowflakes.

My avatar used to be me. But when buffygirl made me a hat, she, well she actually made me a hat in a rather literal sense, for now I am a ball of binding twine and a book for a hat.

I always think your avatar looks a bit like the moon from The Mighty Boosh :P
charlie_grumbles wrote:<snip>Fluffy came back from Cumbria. Hope the music scene there is still active.

Not that it was particularly active anyway :P. Nevertheless, yes, Fluffy and I had a lovely time, we had tea and scones.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Megan's gONG

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”