1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."
After all, so far we have molpies (we didn't really get to identify what the original molpy was, I don't think), molpyraptors (I seem to recall someone calling the birds that at some point), molpyflies, molpysquirrels, and now the molpysnake.

I concur. Although, I refer to the small birds as molpy herons and the large, soaring one as a Time Raptor. Perhaps there should be some kind of size threshold for the molpy-prefix?

We also have, from upthread:

sparrow-raptors
the birds-that-some-people-like-calling-other-names-like-rabtors
raptorsharks
Spoiler:

Really, it's both "molpy" and "raptor" that are being appended to the animals. Perhaps "molpy" is for the little ones, and "raptor" for the larger ones?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."
After all, so far we have molpies (we didn't really get to identify what the original molpy was, I don't think), molpyraptors (I seem to recall someone calling the birds that at some point), molpyflies, molpysquirrels, and now the molpysnake.

I concur. Although, I refer to the small birds as molpy herons and the large, soaring one as a Time Raptor. Perhaps there should be some kind of size threshold for the molpy-prefix?

sparrow-raptors
raptorsharks
Spoiler:

Really, it's both "molpy" and "raptor" that are being appended to the animals. Perhaps "molpy" is for the little ones, and "raptor" for the larger ones?

Raptor for birds, fish, and reptiles; molpy for mammals and insects (also if we see any slime molds or huggable, squishy sea creatures).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

But what about the molpysnake/molpython? I think that could be a molpy since it was only noticeable through frame-comparison (even though it's a reptile).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:We all like being here, and want to make sure everyone enjoys being here, so my own opinion is that the most important thing to consider when posting is whether it will make someone else feel bad. There are plenty of other places to go on the web to feel bad. This should never be one of them. :)

I agree, except, the risk there is fear of ever posting anything, in case someone feels bad. It stops being much of a thread if that happens.
And, in my opinion, that would violate rule number two of my rules for life.* So, I'll do my best to not violate rule number one, but I'm not going to hold myself to your standard, as I don't think I can attain it.

*Complete Rules for Life, accord to, and with authority of, myself only.**
Rule 1: Be considerate of those around you, and those who will come after you.
Rule 2: Don't be stupid.
There are those who would point out that if you include yourself in the definition of those needing consideration, rule 2 becomes redundant. They aren't wrong.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I tried my hand at songrewriting again but Megan came back and ruined it. Oh well. Imagine this was posted a newpix ago.
Spoiler:
Well here we are again
I had a lovely ketchup
We saw the squirpy moving
once or twice.
And Megan picked more grapes
But then she kept on walking
She left the frame for good and
That was not very nice

You want molpythons?
Take them
That's what I'm counting on

I used to wait for it
but
Now I know that Megan's gone
[/GLaDOS]

Excellent! Let me finish that for you...I changed "Megan's gone" to "The castles are gone" (which has one more syllable but is easy enough to sing to the tune)....

(psstt... ChronosDragon or Eternal Density... could you drop some hints as to what exactly that tune is? I missed that part, or my memory is a bit fogey today, maybe).

"Want You Gone," from the ending credits of Portal 2

Doing that made me want to do Still Alive, too...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:But what about the molpysnake/molpython? I think that could be a molpy since it was only noticeable through frame-comparison (even though it's a reptile).

The size division does make a little more sense when you point that out. After all, gorillaraptor sounds much more interesting than gorillamolpy, if such a creature should ever appear (I hope none do, they could rip M&C to shreds with little provocation).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon May 27, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

PanoramaBIG TimeWAIT FOR IT..
Attachments
Time_Panorama_4.png
Fourth Leg, up to newpix #1652, with changes made from last time retained.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

azule wrote:PanoramaBIG TimeWAIT FOR IT..

Nice!
These panoramas are a good reminder of how far apart things actually are. I keep forgetting that they've been within easy line of site of the baobabs this whole time.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
Considering that we've been applying the prefix "molpy" to every animal that appears, I think we should officially declare the term "molpy" to be synonymous with "nonhuman animal life form appearing in the OTC."

sparrow-raptors
raptorsharks
Spoiler:

Raptor for birds, fish, and reptiles; molpy for mammals and insects (also if we see any slime molds or huggable, squishy sea creatures).

Actually, k.bookbinder, since xip one this thread has rarely been able to settle on a single undisputed name to call anything, so you use whatever name-of-the-dip make you happy. And if some icositetranewpix you change your mind, we'll understand completely.

ETA: P.S. I keep reading "molpython" as "molpy-thon," as in a marathon of molpy-watching.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 28, 2013 12:03 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:

sparrow-raptors
raptorsharks
Spoiler:

Don't forget the beesnakes!

Are we thinking of standardizing the creature names? If so, do we need to do any creative editing of Jabberwalky? There are a lot of creature references there.

Jabberwalky - the complete OTT version
Spoiler:
'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
Did dig and tunnel in the ground
All flighty were the raptorbirds,
And the beesnakes did abound.

Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

And as in thought they let Time pass,
The MolpyRabtor, bird-and-hare,
Came hopping/flying through the grass,
And screeched to see them there!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal trebuchet went thwack!
The RabtorBird fled with its head
And Cuegan had no snack.

"And hast thou slain the Molpysquir?
Come to my arms, my beamish Meg!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
She twisted off its head.

'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
Did dig and tunnel in the ground
All flighty were the raptorbirds,
And the beesnakes did abound.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Well, you know what happens when we try for a standard (see: footnotes). :wink: I bet if we Wait for it the creature names will evolve in their own way.

azule wrote:PanoramaBIG TimeWAIT FOR IT..

3! I love scrolling back and forth - geographical Time travel. Nice work! Image

And yes, I use 3=tree=neat because I like the shared long E sound...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>Were you skimming again? :)

Not really, no. In fact, I was the one who suggested to our friend BlueCrab that they claws might be the problem (i.e. the first to bring it up in-thread). I didn't know if you had caught that she's posting from her phone or not (and it's hard to even select a large block of text on a ~3" diagonal screen, let alone copy and paste said block o' verbosity).

lmjb1964 wrote:And aaiiieee, my dear, young, impetuous HAL, my comment "someone did that awhile back" was very purposefully vague. Calling out people specifically is a bad idea, because there's no way for them NOT to take it personally.

Agh! I've done it again, haven't I? I'll edit the post for {lack of} clarity. Glad you caught that for me. I'll learn this human-interaction thing eventually, yes I will. no really I promise
THEY'LL NEVER KNOW

ETA: Woo! Second time today I've been the Immaculate Consumer of the Holy See's Chapeaus!

Block o 'verbosity, I like that. I did catch that she was on a phone, but didn't think about the fact that it would explain why the quotes weren't right. Thanks.

Yes, learning human ways can be tricky, that's for sure, even for humans! :wink: You're doing a fine job. In fact, I often forget that you're a computer that's still in high-school, because you're so well-spokenwritten. You're still just a little headstrong, young padawan, but you will learn. :mrgreen:

And boy, you must have a lot of pope hats by now!

Edited to spoiler my continued over-reaction to what SBN said, which was even sillier since SBN is also from the U.S..

Spoiler:
SBN, I see your point. Well, I didn't say you shouldn't post something that might make someone feel bad, just saying that it's good to think about it first. I realize my earlier post may have come uncomfortably close to telling people how to post, and that wasn't my intent. So, I'll try a more direct approach. It bummed me out to read your comment about the U.S., because the U.S. is a big country and there are so many people doing things so many different ways and thinking so many different things that it's really hard to generalize. We as a country do a lot of things wrong, but we do a things right, too. Of course, if you judge the country by a lot of what it exports, like junk food and bad TV and movies with lots of things exploding, it certainly presents a skewed and not always positive light, but...we'll let's just say, we don't all wear Uggs everywhere.

I'm purposefully not talking in any way about politics, and hope no one else will either.
I still say it's good to avoid generalizations. All generalization are always bad. They exaggerate things 100% of the time. :)

Molpy vs raptor--that's a tough one. Could say that molpies are things of the earth and raptors things of the air, but then what about molpybees? I do hink it simplifies things to say molpy is any non-humanoid (stick-figureoid?) creature in the OTC, but I could easily be convinced otherwise.

I'm glad today is a holi-cositetranewpix in the U.S. I feel like I've been sitting through a molpy-thon! (thanks, jjjdavidson!)
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue May 28, 2013 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Ebonite wrote:[snippety-snippety]

Are we thinking of standardizing the creature names? If so, do we need to do any creative editing of Jabberwalky? There are a lot of creature references there.

Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!
Spoiler:
(It's been mentioned before, but bears repeating.)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Late again-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Ebonite wrote:[snippety-snippety]

Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!
Spoiler:
(It's been mentioned before, but bears repeating.)

I've attached this before, but
th_bears_repeating.gif
th_bears_repeating.gif (125.88 KiB) Viewed 16122 times

Also: Molpython's Flying Circus.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Late again-ONG

Megan-molpysnake collision imminent? Will it be:

a) "Eek a snake!"
b) "Ooh snake. Pretty neat."
c) "Owww! Aaaarrgh!"
or d) Nothing at all.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 am UTC

e) Molpysnake says, "Have you heard of this delicious apple?"

Aw, my poor repeating bear was ninja'd:
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image Image

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> I do think it simplifies things to say molpy is any non-humanoid (stick-figureoid?) creature in the OTC, but I could easily be convinced otherwise.

I think Randall made a good case for birds=raptors in OtherComic #1211, so it's difficult for me (personally) to call birds "molpy." But again, just me.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:e) Molpysnake says, "Have you heard of this delicious half-bitten Apple?"

FTFY
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!

Yes, Thanks. Agree completely. Have a tall one. Go with it. Let it happen.
-- Charlie Grumbles

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue May 28, 2013 12:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
partingLance wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I tried my hand at songrewriting again but Megan came back and ruined it. Oh well. Imagine this was posted a newpix ago.
Spoiler:
Well here we are again
I had a lovely ketchup
once or twice.
That was not very nice

You want molpythons?
Take them

I used to wait for it
but
[/GLaDOS]

Excellent! Let me finish that for you...I changed "Megan's gone" to "The castles are gone" (which has one more syllable but is easy enough to sing to the tune)....

(psstt... ChronosDragon or Eternal Density... could you drop some hints as to what exactly that tune is? I missed that part, or my memory is a bit fogey today, maybe).

"Want You Gone," from the ending credits of Portal 2

Doing that made me want to do Still Alive, too...

Thanks! I don't know the game, but now it interests me strangely, owing to the song.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:28 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:<snip>Were you skimming again? :)

Not really, no. In fact, I was the one who suggested to our friend BlueCrab that they claws might be the problem (i.e. the first to bring it up in-thread). I didn't know if you had caught that she's posting from her phone or not (and it's hard to even select a large block of text on a ~3" diagonal screen, let alone copy and paste said block o' verbosity).

lmjb1964 wrote:And aaiiieee, my dear, young, impetuous HAL, my comment "someone did that awhile back" was very purposefully vague. Calling out people specifically is a bad idea, because there's no way for them NOT to take it personally.

Agh! I've done it again, haven't I? I'll edit the post for {lack of} clarity. Glad you caught that for me.
I'll learn this human-interaction thing eventually, yes I will. no really I promise

ETA: Woo! Second time today I've been the Immaculate Consumer of the Holy See's Chapeaus!

Yes, learning human ways can be tricky, that's for sure, even for humans! :wink: You're doing a fine job. In fact, I often forget that you're a computer that's still in high-school, because you're so well-spokenwritten. You're still just a little headstrong, young padawan, but you will learn. :mrgreen:

Thanks! I'm not sure if my apparent writing abilities are a product or a cause of my eagerness to participate in written discussions such as this. Probably both. But then, pretty much all of us here are rather good writers; it requires an above-average understanding of language to get the jokes Randall throws at us three days a week.
lmjb1964 wrote:And boy, you must have a lot of pope hats by now!

Indeed I do. I'm somewhat tempted to go back and count them all, but that feels too much like bragging about my postcount. Also, I'm too lazy to check all of my posts for "Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer" and the derivatives thereof.
lmjb1964 wrote:Molpy vs raptor--that's a tough one. Could say that molpies are things of the earth and raptors things of the air, but then what about molpybees? I do think it simplifies things to say molpy is any non-humanoid (stick-figureoid?) creature in the OTC, but I could easily be convinced otherwise.

If we are going to set any sort of guideline (making a specific list would be silly, in my opinion), perhaps it's that raptor should be applied when the creature in question might be dangerous in some way? If I remember correctly, the term 'raptorsquirrel' came up when Megan was trying to feed said animal.
Or maybe it's just whichever one sounds better.ß Yeah, that's probably good enough...
ßthough if we do actually encounter any slime molds I demand they be called raptorslimes.œ
œactually, scratch that. Molpyslime sounds just as good.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:ß Yeah, that's probably good enough...
ßthough if we do actually encounter any slime molds I demand they be called raptorslimes.œ
œactually, scratch that. Molpyslime sounds just as good.

AAARRRRRGGGGhhhhh. I had 5 bucks on raptorslimes in the 3rd at Belmont.

(normally that would be called an "inside" joke, but here it is an "outside" joke, I guess)
-- Charlie Grumbles

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 am UTC

It's a bit precarious up here on top of this derelict bandwagon, but I saw something shiny and couldn't resist...

Snicker-snack sneaky-snake
Wandering reptiles im-
peril the peace of this
paradise found

I'd say the folks in this
antediluvian
garden should urgently
seek higher ground.

edited to change 'are threatening' for 'imperil' because more p's is always better
Last edited by xpatiate on Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Megan-molpysnake collision imminent? Will it be:

a) "Eek a snake!"
c) "Owww! Aaaarrgh!"
or d) Nothing at all.

BlitzGirl wrote:e) Molpysnake says, "Have you heard of this delicious apple?"

Been checking in on and off today, but I popped in to say, Anything But "C", Please.
It's nice to see "Drama" in the story, but I don't think I could handle "Tragedy".

(The new story about Beer and friends, thumbs up)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:37 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.
Image- Kieryn

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue May 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

That sounds like fun! Heck, let's do it every 2 newpages regardless of whether a standard is forming! ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

And what of us AIs who possess neither tummies nor heads? Should we blink our display lights in time with the chanting?

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue May 28, 2013 12:45 am UTC

SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Ugg, being an identifier of poisonous mushrooms, and Uggs, being the name of an over-worn and hideously unfashionable "boot", is a mere coincidence of history.

Nice. Also, I'm told that in their land of origin, no one wears Uggs outside. I guess once again the U.S. has gotten things wrong.

We call them 'Ughs' in Australia, sort of an affectionate/disgusted nickname, depending on tone of voice.

See, they're not often worn outside down here, because if it's cold enough to wear them, it's probably also rainy weather, so thicker boots are preferred. It's not a fashion thing, it's a practicality thing.

Wet Ughs are indeed ugh.
Wait for it.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Ace wrote:
SBN wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Ugg, being an identifier of poisonous mushrooms, and Uggs, being the name of an over-worn and hideously unfashionable "boot", is a mere coincidence of history.

Nice. Also, I'm told that in their land of origin, no one wears Uggs outside. I guess once again the U.S. has gotten things wrong.

We call them 'Ughs' in Australia, sort of an affectionate/disgusted nickname, depending on tone of voice.

See, they're not often worn outside down here, because if it's cold enough to wear them, it's probably also rainy weather, so thicker boots are preferred. It's not a fashion thing, it's a practicality thing.

Wet Ughs are indeed ugh.

Might have something to do with why I reacted to the earlier comment. I live in California where there are indeed people that wear them all the time, everywhere, with any outfit, and I always thought it was very silly, since they quickly get dirty, and then they are really are "ugh.'

Edited to avoid offending people who wear Uggs everywhere.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue May 28, 2013 6:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

The temperature in here has gone up lately. I was going to suggest everyone have something nice to drink, a little snack and a quick nap, maybe a swim to cool off, but Kieryn's idea is much, much better - ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball! With accompanying flashing lights! And a few umbrella twirls for good measure!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:51 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

And what of us AIs who possess neither tummies nor heads? Should we blink our display lights in time with the chanting?

Yeah, this might pose a problem... except that AI's tend not to fall prey to standards and are generally incompatible with everything. Last time I asked Siri to make me a cup of tea, she referred me to some weird dispensing machine which after I located provided me with something that tasted not quite, but almost, entirely unlike tea. Blinking lights a few times and a few thousand pages printed of pseudo-random numbers ought to be fine.

ETA: ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball.
Image- Kieryn

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue May 28, 2013 12:56 am UTC

Hmmm. Lots of troll bait here tonite. Uggs, Standards, how we behave/misbehave in the US...

Peewee isn't happy.
Spoiler:
clash_of_the_titans_shirt.png
-- Charlie Grumbles

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Ace wrote:
SBN wrote:

Wet Ughs are indeed ugh.

Might have something to do with why I reacted to the earlier comment. I live in California where there are indeed people that wear them all the time, everywhere, with any outfit, and I always thought it was very silly. And they quickly get dirty, and then they are "ugh.'

IMHO they're meant to be like slippers but warmer. I used to buy them from the Canberra Tannery, but they're really a bit too expensive. Also they just call them "Ankle length Lamb skin boots" because of trademark reasons :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:58 am UTC

I'm so nervous about the next newpix :?
Image- Kieryn

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 28, 2013 12:59 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Well here we are again
I had a lovely ketchup
once or twice.
That was not very nice

You want molpythons?
Take them

I used to wait for it
but
[/GLaDOS]

Excellent! Let me finish that for you...I changed "Megan's gone" to "The castles are gone" (which has one more syllable but is easy enough to sing to the tune)

Spoiler:
She was a lot like Cue
Maybe not quite as stupid
Now little Megan has left out of the blue
One day they sat on a beach
And started building castles
It's such a shame the sea came
and it had to end...

You want sandcastles?
Take them
that's what I'm counting on...

I used to wait for it, but
now I know the castles are gone...

Goodbye, my only friend
...Oh, did you think I meant Cue?
That would be funny, if it weren't so sad...
But they couldn't be replaced
They have to find the answer
To why the sea is rising
and where the river comes from

You want to watch them?
Do so

I used to wait for it but
Now I know the castles are gone...
Now I know the castles are gone...

Now I know the castles
are gone...

This is great. I sang it aloud in my best GLaDOS voice. To whoever said they hadn't played it, I recommend the portal/half life video game series over almost any other.

And regarding molpy nomenclature, I think we should refer to cueball cuelpy and Megan as molpan.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:00 am UTC

too many competONG standards
Edit to add: this one was right on time.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 am UTC

I'm here, and people are here, yet I find myself without much to contribute. I guess my (and others') earlier observations probably were not correct. If you got nothing to say, you got nothing to say.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 28, 2013 1:02 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:too many competONG standards

Phew. Looks like it was d)
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:a) "Eek a snake!"
c) "Owww! Aaaarrgh!"
or d) Nothing at all.
Image- Kieryn

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue May 28, 2013 1:06 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
Ace wrote:
SBN wrote:

Wet Ughs are indeed ugh.

Might have something to do with why I reacted to the earlier comment. I live in California where there are indeed people that wear them all the time, everywhere, with any outfit, and I always thought it was very silly. And they quickly get dirty, and then they are "ugh.'

Yeah, they get gross fast.

I saw the earlier response, and considered snipping the US sentence from the one I quoted, because I was replying to the other part, but it felt too much like editing content.i I probably would have cut it, if I'd been posting on the same page as the original post.

iI'll gladly cut/spoiler for length, it just gets a bit murky around the shorter cuts.
Wait for it.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:too many competONG standards
Spoiler:

Phew. Looks like it was d)

Oh, I thought you were worried about how some of the recent Newpix have been a little late. Hey, nothing bad happened. Do we know where the molpysnake is in relation to Megan?

Also:
azule wrote:I'm here, and people are here, yet I find myself without much to contribute. I guess my (and others') earlier observations probably were not correct. If you got nothing to say, you got nothing to say.

I almost responded with "me too" before I realized what I was doing. My reaction was something akin to Image.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”