1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 29, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Spoiler:
zwei eins vier strich zero zero
ende
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed May 29, 2013 2:34 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:<snip> You graduated from high school just a few years before me, as it turns out. And my physics class was the first one to use calculators. They were certainly in common usage by then, of course, but our teacher thought the students should learn how to use slide rules. Kind of sorry I missed it, actually. I would have liked to learn how to use a slide rule.

My high school, college and military service days were well over a decade past when the first four function calculators hit the market. I was well versed in the operation of the slide rule, and even wore my first one out after three years of use. Of course, you couldn't add or subtract with a slide rule, and you couldn't do log functions on the calculator so there was a period when both devices were needed - until the scientific calculators came out. By the time I wore out my programmable HP calculator, cheap ($40) multi-function programmable graphing calculators became common.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 2:39 am UTC

Just for fun, how about some more Squirpy! Something I didn't realize - the Squirpy Saga lasted a full xip.

Spoiler:
SquirpyScreenshots.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:47 am UTC

ergman wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:...in my excitement I misspelled "Squirrel."

Don't worry. skirl skwirl squirl squirrilsquarel squirrel is a very difficult to spell word. Something I wrote once had an entire subplot stem from my inability to spell squirrel.

I'm trying to imagine what that subplot would be. :? BTW, ergman, I can't recall reading about your avatar or username. Your avatar looks like a cat-octopus

Kieryn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!

Sorry, dragging forward from several pages back, but i just wanted to show what this reminded me of.

I don't know Father Ted, but just from this bit I'd like to watch it.

k.bookbinder wrote:Um...I'd like to submit a contribution to the Tarot Deck. I don't think anyone has submitted one for Judgement. Sorry Dracomax, to keep true to the traditional tarot , I couldn't fit in the comfy chair (perhaps you're better suited to Justice?). Anyway, here it is. Don't look too closely at the editing, I had to use an online editor :oops:
Spoiler:

Wow, that's great, bookbinder!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Just for fun, how about some more Squirpy! Something I didn't realize - the Squirpy Saga lasted a full xip.

Spoiler:

Can never have too much squirpy! Also, what's that font you're using there? You've used it before too, just wondering since it's really nice and classy...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Server's hiccuping for me again. Happening to anyone else?
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 am UTC

@Blitzgirl - Storms and cyclones
@StratPlayer - carbonated toadstools
@Dracomax - molpyhunting comic
@higgs-boson - Time Raptor movie
@Dracomax, Hal9000 - I have no mouth and I must eat
@Blitzgirl - The One True Thread Now
@Eternal Density and Dracomax - Taxonomy

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:I just had a little browsing adventure, ala OtherComic 214.

Long story short, I thought of the rising Sea1 in the Sandcastle Era, and wanted to toss some of this storm-makes-Sea-level-rise into the theory pile (as I was not Present to do so back then). I know storm activity was touched upon, but I don't remember anything about cyclones or storm tides or freshwater input (which would definitely affect the taste of the Sea, as noted by Cueball). The validity is questionable, as we have yet to see any weather-related phenomena in the OTC apart from the rise in semencoffeecancerbabiesonice, or even waves, but I'm kind of interested to see what a storm would look like in Time.

And now back to your regularly scheduled BlitzGirl (which is to say, not scheduled at all).

Probably late at this point, but yeah, I (and probably others) did speculate a while back that the difference in taste was probably due to increased freshwater input. I don't think we really covered the storm/cyclone theory, though, so good catch on that!

StratPlayer wrote:But as always, I'm glad that:

-- I didn't miss the big End of Time.
-- The OTT is still here and still active, and
-- Peaceful Waiting in the OTT hasn't degenerated into "Oh yeah?!? Well, you're completely wrong, you drooling imbecile! And also, your mother eats carbonated toadstools, you cretinous collection of clueless carbon!" flame-war.

And so backwards I go to get current...

I wonder what a carbonated toadstool tastes like...I'll have to ask her some time.

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:OMR Molpysnake!

Stop Chasing me! I am NOT a molpy! I am not tiny! I'm just farther away!
[img ]http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w588/dracomax/MolpyHunter2--TheRaptoring_zps615dba91.jpg[/img]

First Blitzgirl's in the comic, now Dracomax? It's ALL related :D

higgs-boson wrote:Time Raptor

[/size][/color][/i]
TIME LORD RANDALL
presents
IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ONE TRUE THREAD
A HAL9000 PRODUCTION SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - ZOË SALDANA "TIME RAPTOR" SAM NEILL
MUSIC BY YAPPOBISCUITS PRODUCED BY MSCHA WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY TIME LORD RANDALL

NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED DURING THE FILMING OF THIS EPISODE. BUT THE MOLPYSNAKES GOT HUNGRY TRIED TO EAT THE MOLPYSQUIRREL.
R [RESTRICTED: Under 17 requires accompanying parent oder adult guardian][/center]

Hum. Well.
I wait for it. :mrgreen:

10/10 would watch! I might have to turn this into an actual movie poster later...

Dracomax wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Wait...have you been raiding the inquisition's stores again?
You have to SIGN for withdrawals.

No, this is the same bag. I don't exactly have any way to eat the Skittles, and why would I do that anyways? They're so... magical...
*enters trance*

So, what, this is a case of "I have no mouth, and I must eat?"

Or do you enjoy the taste using synesthesia?

There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer-thin layers that fill my complex. If the word "hate," were engraved on each nano-angstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles, it would not equal one one-billionth of the absolute and unconditional love I feel for skittles at this microinstant.

Or something like that.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Dracomax wrote:<snip> We even have a special bus...

Reading the One True Thread Now!
To the tune of Ride on the Magic School Bus

Holy childhood memories, GLR!

Haha! That's awesome, Blitzgirl, even among your other creative creations! Now, who would be Arnold in this thread? Clearly, you would be Carlos, with all your terrible wonderful puns :)

Eternal Density wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
partingLance wrote:I like this taxonomy too, though I can't resist a bit of pendantryFN: After species and genus, moving up in the hierarchy, is family, as:
Species
Genus
Family
Order
Class
Phylum
Kingdom (or, to use the mnemonic I came up with in school: Silly GLR; Forgot to Order and Classify; People Know).

FN TIMEWAITERS (wearily): "Try next time, partingLance, won't you?"

Fixed that for you.

I learned it in reverse order, as King Philip Crossed Over Five Gentle Streams.

Don't forget Domain, the recently added highest-order taxonomical class! I think all the creatures from the OTC are in the domain "Cartoonia" (given that their cells are neither nucleated or non-nucleated, but drawn from black ink).

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC

I was wondering if the Grandidier baobab had ever been transplanted anywhere else; I thought maybe that would explain the squirrel. Can't find any that have been, though. I did find an awful lot of links about growing the Grandidier in Minecraft. Maybe Cuegan are walking through a Minecraft landscape.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 3:02 am UTC

Thanks, yappo! That would be Trajan Pro.

ImageNG:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 3:15 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, yappo! That would be Trajan Pro.

Cool, thanks :)

No comment on the cactuspalmthingy, Megball? Is it not even worth a "neat"?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, yappo! That would be Trajan Pro.

Cool, thanks :)

No comment on the cactuspalmthingy, Megball? Is it not even worth a "neat"?

It looks prickly, not neat.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Regarding my name, I did talk about it earlier. Suffice to say I imagine it as the sound someone makes when being punched in the gut: 'erg!'
The man is just for lengthening, though it also signifies my gender.

The profile picture is the first half decent thing I ever drew on my phone, and I like using drawings for profile pics as opposed to photos
Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go be seduced into a coma by the music of the continuous rain.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Last prickly palm-like plant ONG?Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Blitzposting before I coma. Hopefully you all won't add too many newpages before [heresy]morning[/heresy].

Spoiler:
It's interesting that nobody I'm familiar with posted in the beginning of the thread (the first one I found was AlusioASG on newpage 15); I feel like it started out with regular xkcd readers who gradually were replaced by OTC followers.

I encountered the oft-repeated "Has anyone noticed the javascript?". But also, the forgotten "This reminds me of that Jimmi Hendrix song", which is brought up at least once a page.

bouer was amazed at the size of the thread...when it had less than 20 pages.
bouer wrote:411 posts in less than a day, and over 650 people reading the thread. Is this breaking any XKCD records?

I learned that one frame managed to sneak out a few newpix early, and that from this it was learned that you could not access newpix until they were ready:
Lucia wrote:By uploading the flags pic by copying from a tab opened when it was available, I managed to provide time travel into the past and the future at the same time. :shock: :D

There are a few unspoilered images that still link to time.png, but I endeavor to skip them; I intend to fully forsake the Present until I complete my Quest, as the great BlitzGirl and Vytron did before me. I hope some Time soon I shall join you all in the Present!

-- Taixzo
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:15 am UTC

taixzo wrote:bouer was amazed at the size of the thread...when it had less than 20 pages.
bouer wrote:411 posts in less than a day, and over 650 people reading the thread. Is this breaking any XKCD records?

I'll bet [s]he was mighty surprised when we spat out 42 pages in a single nine-hour period, and later on coughed up 80 pages in one full day. That's ~1680 and ~3200 posts, respectively.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 29, 2013 4:17 am UTC

I'm startingcontinuing to wonder about the proliferation of "standard adjectives" (an example is in mscha's signature, but that is not the only set). I think they are proliferating too fast and too widely. Big, small, and neat were all direct reactions to their respective modificands in such a way as to indicate a kind of universality in their quality - i.e.firefox that that quality has consequences. The sea is always big, and because it is big, it can do what it wants. I'm not convinced of the others. They seem to me to be more momentary. "Neat" almost falls into that category, but it was the first, and I'm willing to canonize it. But "old", "beautiful", and "empty" do not carry that weight. Even though they considered moving to the place that was described as beautiful and empty, nothing actually heppened that was due to those qualities.

"wow" isn't even an adjective. One might say that a "baobobish" item is "awe inspiring", but the Cuegan did not say "awe-inspiring", they said "wow". However, I could grant canonical significance to "pretty big (awesome), probably knows what it's doing", inasmuch as it probably knows what it's doing because it's pretty big (awesome).

So, I'd canonize big, small, neat, "does what it wants", and "probably knows what it's doing" (the last canonically referring to the baobobs trees). "Baobobish" would mean that it probably knows what it's doing, owing to its awe-inspiring size".

The rest I propose moving to the apocrypha.

taixzo wrote:Location: NewPage 75
75 newpages already? Wow! You probably know what you're doing!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Oh never mind. Ninja'd.
Last edited by Exodies on Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 am UTC

slinches wrote:Last prickly palm-like plant ONG?

I predict one more.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:21 am UTC

I don't know if this has been pointed out before, and it probably has, but one of the posts on the first page contains a link to the true first frame. Some exceptionally clever/obsessed person had all three of the first three frames saved, and had the bitstrings and images for the second and third, but only the image of the first. No bitstring, but still:
http://postimg.org/image/ftqovop7p/
EDIT to add that this is what happens when I accidentally click the link that directs me to the first page. Text appears before me, and thus I must read it.
EDIT2 because it's time to coma.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 4:51 am UTC

New OtherComic is about Elvish... and I was just talking about Elvish here...
yappobiscuits wrote:
edfel wrote:Onward to the mountains! At last, they'll be turning terra incognita into map data :-)
The poll for the mountains name is still open, I've had Sierra Molpies for now. It's good, but there may be other ideas?

"Ered Levain"
"Lavan" being an Elvish (Sindarin) word for an animal, usually specifically quadrupeds and not reptiles or birds (raptors). So basically, the Elvish word for Molpy. (Pluralised of course, in the weird Sindarin way of changing the vowels accordingly)

it'sallrelated

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 4:59 am UTC

As promised...

Embiggen

Credit to whoever posted the text originally (too lazy to go back and look)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 am UTC

I want to go see Time RaptONG:

The poster looks awesome!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:New OtherComic is about Elvish... and I was just talking about Elvish here...
yappobiscuits wrote:
edfel wrote:Onward to the mountains! At last, they'll be turning terra incognita into map data :-)
The poll for the mountains name is still open, I've had Sierra Molpies for now. It's good, but there may be other ideas?

"Ered Levain"
"Lavan" being an Elvish (Sindarin) word for an animal, usually specifically quadrupeds and not reptiles or birds (raptors). So basically, the Elvish word for Molpy. (Pluralised of course, in the weird Sindarin way of changing the vowels accordingly)

it'sallrelated

Yup, that proves it definitively, Randall reads the OTT ... Unless LoTR is a common theme in xkcd.

Nah, he's not that nerdy

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:As promised...

Spoiler:

Awesome :D I have to wonder why it's rated R though... just how graphic can you get with stick figures? ;)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 5:13 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Spoiler:

Awesome :D I have to wonder why it's rated R though... just how graphic can you get with stick figures? ;)

Not sure, but the text I was basing it off of said it was rated R, so...*shrug*

Blood and Stickman Violence? Suggestive Themes? (The sea is rising...if you know what I mean). Drug References? (those trees sure are neat...)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Shanman wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Ooh, how I envy Megball. :)

It's not raining where they are!

After last year in the US, I'm not looking a gift rain in the mouth.

Then it appears there are at least three of us in a rainy place today.

It's rainy where I am also! From this large, four person sample, I determine that there is rain all over the earth, and also
Some on mars.
And I might not have earned this rain, but I did earn skittles
*munches to the tune of Cream Tangerine*

Rain here as well - that's 5!

I suggest we all sit on our suitcases in the garden and wait for Randall to take us to Timeland.

It's raining here too.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Shanman wrote:
Rain here as well - that's 5!

I suggest we all sit on our suitcases in the garden and wait for Randall to take us to Timeland.

It's raining here too.

I'm near Seattle, and it's not raining.

What sorcery is this?

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 5:24 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Spoiler:

Blood and Stickman Violence? Suggestive Themes? (The sea is rising...if you know what I mean). Drug References? (those trees sure are neat...)

Well, if this contribution from cmyk is any indication, it's no wonder it got an R rating.
Spoiler:

ETA: I'd be willing to see Time Raptor no matter the rating with such a compelling poster. Good work ChronosDragon.
Last edited by slinches on Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 5:31 am UTC

mathrec wrote:I'm concedONG...
...she picked it up.

Was it a medlar?
(Commonly known as open arses)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 29, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
slinches wrote:Last prickly palm-like plant ONG?

I predict one more.

And it looks like I'm right! Unless there's lingering.

Wow, I wanna go see Time Raptor too!
We should form a group and all Wait for it together.
Oh, wait, we already have.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 am UTC

We can always Wait some more! :D

ChronosDragon wrote:I'm near Seattle, and it's not raining.

What sorcery is this?

Okay, who took the Seattle rain and sprinkled it on everybody else?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 5:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:We can always Wait some more! :D

What sorcery is this?

If you find the rain Robin Hood, please tell him to send a few drops my way. We're always appreciative of a little moisture and a break in the >100F temps out here in the desert.

ETA: :idea: Maybe your dialogue dance could be adapted to attract other things, such as precipitative weather phenomena.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 29, 2013 5:57 am UTC

slinches wrote:

What sorcery is this?

If you find the rain Robin Hood, please tell him to send a few drops my way. We're always appreciative of a little moisture and a break in the >100F temps out here in the desert.

ETA: :idea: Maybe your dialogue dance could be adapted to attract other things, such as precipitative weather phenomena.

What, like some kind of...rain dance? Don't be silly.

Anyhow, going to perform a precipitative weather phenomena summoning ritual (of the non-dance variety), followed by a coma. Night all.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 29, 2013 6:00 am UTC

cONGa:

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed May 29, 2013 6:05 am UTC

slinches wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:New OtherComic is about Elvish... and I was just talking about Elvish here...
yappobiscuits wrote:

"Ered Levain"

it'sallrelated

Yup, that proves it definitively, Randall reads the OTT ... Unless LoTR is a common theme in xkcd.

Nah, he's not that nerdy

It can't be a coincidence that the alt text speaks of rising water and (Time) Watchers.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 6:21 am UTC

slinches wrote:

What sorcery is this?

Doubtful. There is no weather in the OTC?.
And I don't know if any dance would be strong enough to persuade rain to visit Phoenix!.

?yet
!I attended ASU; I understand your anguish.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

tman2nd

Chapter 14 of the Gospel of tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Progress 587/734

Happenings in the OTC:

First, Cueball slowed down because he was "thinking." What was he thinking about? I don't know. He didn't say. :( This was followed by a stretch of flat terrain. It seemed too smooth to be natural, but I have no idea what it could be. At the end of the flat part the river went somewhere Cueball didn't want to go, so they decided to cross what appear to be dunes instead. In the last frame I saw, Meagan stopped suddenly at the top of a large dune. What will happen next? I wait in anticipation.

Happenings in the OTT:

At one point someone brought up solar eclipses, so I looked up future total eclipses and found out that in 2017, one is coming just north of Eugene, Oregon where I live. :D

Another prominent subject was synesthesia. I found this well written first post lost in time on the subject, so I thought I'd send it forward.
Spoiler:
Xenocat wrote:Hi One True Thread and denizens thereof.

Insert standard "been following xkcd for years, and Time since its beginning, and just now de-lurking" introduction here. I almost posted during the Fading when it seemed like it was all coming to an end, but managed to resist, until now.

Lyoug wrote:I was surprised to learn that seeing the sequence of numbers in a particular shape was also considered synesthesia, as well associating a personality to letters or numbers (I personally only feel some letters are feminine and others are masculine, not a whole personality).
Since then, a part of my getting to know someone will at some point include questions like "how do you see numbers when you count?" or "are your months arranged in any pattern?", and "what about the days of the week?". Most of the times I'll get a puzzled look; but when I come across someone who starts talking and talking... :o well I just love that, since indeed it is a feeling that cannot really be described, or quite vaguely at best. So running into someone experiencing it as well gives an instantaneous connexion :) (Well, anything in common with someone else does I guess.)

And the real reason I'm de-lurking now is I just wanted to say "me too" to this bit. It never really seemed to me like it quite counted as "proper" synesthesia, compared to people who see sounds or smell colours, or whatever, but I very much do the shapes for numbers, months, days, etc thing.

I have visual patterns for:

• Numbers when counting
  • Hours of the day (unsurprisingly rather clock-shaped; I imagine most people do this?)
  • Days of the week (also has colours)
  • Months of the year (turns into a progression of "days of the week" shapes when looked at closely)
  • Years of history/the future (look, there's 2013 *waves* hi everyone)
  • Years of a person's life/when representing a person's age (similar to the number line but a slightly different shape and viewed from a different angle)

I'd read that this was considered synesthesia, but never actually met anyone who's done anything but give that puzzled look you mention, when talking about it.

I would so much like to experience this. The closest I have is that certain colors seem to belong to certain numbers, but that's only if I think about it. Hold on! The only number that has color to me now is 4(brown)! What happened to the other ones! I used to be able to associate them with colors! :(

Another thing that this reminds me of is ASMR, which I also don't have. It's a tingling sensation that feels good, which starts on the top of the head and travels down the rest of the body. The tingles are triggered by sensory experiences like crinkling, soft speaking, slow hand movements and much more. ASMR hasn't been studied, and so it hasn't been confirmed like synesthesia used to be. Here's the Wikipedia page on it. I wish I could experience ASMR or synesthesia, but unfortunately, I'm normal in this respect.

Other pastpost responses:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
bighaben wrote:I'd like to agree but nothing has been this flat ever in the comic. And flood plains are rarely that flat.

As I see it the problem with it being a flood plain is that it's really high up (unless I've missed something, they've been steadily climbing for many newpix, and we haven't seen them descend).

Ah but they have been climbing from sea level. Inland areas can be relatively flat, whilst being considerably higher than sea level.

Still, it does look a bit too flat.

A mesa?

But even those aren't this skating-rink flat....

Since the pixels are black, you could call it a

8-)

Black Mesa.

YEEEEAAAHHH!
Kieryn wrote:
descor wrote:Hey, that's not right - your prediction about your prediction being wrong was right. Something is wrong.

I figured that's the only way I will ever get another right prediction.

Hey, I predicted that one three posts before you!
tman2nd wrote:Staring out at the Sea again?
I anticipate dialogue.

ucim wrote:
Opiboble wrote:I think Lord Randall would have shown us the epicenes of the size of the bridge if it was a bridge.
If it were a bridge, he may yet. We'll just have to...[spoiler tags]

Jose

We'll have to what?
WE'LL HAVE TO WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
*Clicking franticly*
ucim wrote:
descor wrote:Something is going wrong with the Timeline.
Well, we already know that the river of Time is broken, I guess it stands to reason that the river of time is broken too. Or is that the River of Time? (I'm going to the grocery, I hope I don't run into a Reaver of thyme)

Jose

If you run into any Reaver's I think you would need a River. :P
KarMann wrote:
descor wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Interesting stuff happened when I was following Time! Yay!

Something is going wrong with the Timeline. First Kieryn made a correct1 prediction and now Minim is around for dialogue in a Timeframe. What will happen next?

1 Alledgedly

I'll be keeping an eye on the dogs & cats. I suspect they may be living in sin.

Don't mind the cats they're perfectly fine. Ok?
Smithers wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Smithers wrote:I've been using Pikrass's newpix converter script to convert post times to newpix. However, if a post has been edited, the last edited time still shows up in heretic format. I have modified my local copy to fix this deficiency. Here is the modified script, which converts post times, last edit times and user join times.

Awesome. But I'm not quite sure how the negatives interact with the old/new newpix conversion. Are all B.T. dates in new newpix, or old newpix, or are the first 240 B.T. in old newpix?

Also I notice that you joined at newpix 83523.30 B.T. to my newpix 78487.76 B.T. and wonder if anyone's in 6 figures.

[edit] Woo, I'm the Cntr'f Cbagvss'f Cynpr'f Crnx-Cebgrpgbe Cebqhpre'f Crreyrff Chepunfre!

Anything before newpix 240 should be in old newpix. Also, just around the Beginning of Time it behaves similarly to outsider years around A.D 1 / B.C. 1; e.g newpix 1.01 is just after the Beginning of Time and newpix 1.01 B.T. is just before. There is no newpix 0 either A.T. or B.T..

One thing I'm wondering is how could there be newpix before Time. Newpix don't apply to outside time.
Opiboble wrote:
Eutychus wrote:
KarMann wrote:It's here! It's here! and it's so random!

Well, given your ninja-fu above, I simply had no option but to postthe new thread instead :P

Oh and thanks Copernicium112 for that image!

HERETIC! YOU WILL BURN FOR YOUR SIN! THERE BE ONLY OTT! AND OTC!

If the other comics are heretical than, why does the Great Lord Randall create them. The OTC is still the most important, but the others are still works of the OTA.
mikro2nd wrote:OK, forum noob here... every time I try to quote somebody to reply, if I include a URL in my reply I get "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." which makes for trying times.

Must I just Wait for more Time until the forum software trusts me better?

Hey! Another poster who's username ends with 2nd. Hi there! :D

EDIT:typo
Last edited by tman2nd on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

XonqNopp

Postby XonqNopp » Wed May 29, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Her's my blitz-ketchup...

Pikrass wrote:To stay on topic with the current off-topic topic, it's been raining for days here in the North-East of France. Though we had a few sunny days, like yesterday.

Ah, so I'm not far from you... And here also, one sunny day per month since March... :evil:

Pikrass wrote:Oh and thanks XonqNopp for the issues on Github!

No problem. I am looking forward to experiencing the heresy :)

Sciscitor wrote:Just a little byproduct of another project I am currently working on. Dumped a list of weighted1 by post count users of the OTT into http://www.wordle.net and this came out (restricted to the most heavy posters). Nothing special but I thought it would be pleasant to look at:
atu.png

1 well, it needed a bit of mathemagical treating, but I am not telling more, 'cause this could possibly spoil the new project, given the kind of attention directed to minuscule bits of information here.

Yay, I'm in!
RandallsWhimsyist - WWRD (What Would Randall Draw

Wait well, all of you blitzers!

I guess that it will be the End of Time. Wait for it.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

Spoiler:

Shirley stick figures are 100% graphic.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 am UTC

So much ketchup...

CasCat wrote:Hiya, all! I've just Blitzed through all 7332 pages since the Discovery of the Trees3; I found the Book of Aubron on about newpix 48, but had no idea this forum existed....

I made an account just to say, "HIYA!"

CasCat

2big
3neat

"HIYA!" back! Welcome to our special little realm. Looks like you're picking up the lingo quick.

Next, @BlueCrab:
Spoiler:
BlueCrab wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
I agree as well. :) And one other observation I might add that I discovered while compiling the prime panels to begin with: it gave me a great appreciation for each frame we got to keep by looking at it that way, and yet also a deep longing for each frame left behind. To me, it in that way kind of reinforced what this comic really seems to say to me altogether: that each moment in time is worth considering and savoring like we do here on the thread. The apropos nature of Randall's title for our beloved 1190 is that Time (the comic), just like Time on the Outside, must be experienced only moment at a time. There is no ability to skip ahead or to go back via the medium he has initially presented us. Obviously we've made wikis and threads and pages that record the frames and even dissect them, like a scrapbook of our life's past, but once the frame passes through Randall's little window on the original site, it will never be there again. Time marches on, constant and unchanging. Be glad for each moment in Time (comic and otherwise) you are given, and be glad you aren't limited to just the prime numbered pieces.

This is so close to my heart that I have to use Little Bear's nap to comment on it. My life's philosophy has become ‘Cherish each moment, and take joy.’ (With thanks to illustrator Tasha Tudor, who gave me the ‘take joy’ portion.) When my children were small, I got sooo tired of ‘I'm bored’ that I vowed not to ever be bored myself, and to my surprise it hasn't turned out to be that difficult. Oddly enough, ‘take joy’ is a bit more difficult: for example, in the past 3 yips my first 4 grandchildren have been born, which has been Joy of astonishing proportions. In the same time-frame, however, I've been given 3 different once-in-a-lifetime creative opportunities, which I have first delighted in, then pondered, then turned down because they each would have used quite a lot of the time that I have with the children. It's purely easy to take joy in the time with the babies, but sometimes difficult not to be bitter and sad that the opportunities didn't come to me earlier, when I might have had the joy of them followed by the joy of the grand-babies.

Cherishing each moment is the only way I can imagine living now - no matter what's going on, it will be a part of my future self, no less than any other moment, and therefore is precious.

Thanks for the shared insight from a perspective far down the road from my own, where I'm just at the beginning of starting family and making big decisions.

Next, regarding lmjb1964's secret life as a spy/zombie-raptor hunter:

Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:Aack! I was all caught up, but the Outside is interfering again. Back, Outside, back! *brandishes a chair at the Outside*

kenmelken wrote:Next, @lmjb1964:

First, if anyone reading this missed her "Most wonderful thread on the net" song, unlock the spoiler below and read it (it is up there with BlitzGirl's "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpies" song for happy-vibes).

I just want to say, that I always smile when I see your avatar coming up next in the OTT, because I know I'm always going to appreciate what I'm about to read. :)
By the way, every time you have one of those exasperated ketchup posts where you are frantically throwing responses down in the short time you have before the Outside "finds you" or "catches you" again, I invent in my head some fantastic adventures you must pursue in the Outside. Those posts always have such a dramatic sense of urgency that I imagine you in the middle of warding of a zombie or raptor (or raptor-zombie!!!??!?!) army or performing covert CIA missions while somehow finding a moment to check the OTT and post some pleasant, optimistic tidbits. In my imagination, you have pretty much the most exciting life ever.

Well, that's all. Coma time.

Peace.

Ahh, my cover has been blown! Yes, I work for a top-secret branch of the CIA called Raptor And Zombie Observation and Relocation (RAZOR). Our motto is "Keeping the world safe from zombies, should we ever find any, and raptors, even though they aren't usually dangerous to humans." It's a terrible motto. I'm not sure who came up with it. Yes, it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it.

Seriously, thank you so so much for those nice words! They're especially appreciated right now, since I've been feeling bad that I was contributing to tension in the OTT. That is never my intention. I do hope the song gives everyone warm fuzzies.

And I'm afraid my life, while busy, is not quite that dramatic. I just work a couple of jobs, and play gigs on a somewhat regular basis, and I'm in a dance troupe and currently rehearsing for a musical. So, it keeps me busy, but I'm afraid it's not the exciting life you imagine. Sorry!

OK, time to jump in my spy car get back to my desk and do some work. Cheers!

Sounds EXACTLY like what a spy would say if trying to throw people off. ;) Furthermore, if you weren't at the moment of this post fending of zombie-raptors, why exactly were you needing to brandish a chair???
Nice try, lmjb1964, but we're on to you... Btw, I for one think RAZOR's motto is fabulous.
(Seriously, though, your real life actually sounds just as cool. What musical are you involved in? Have you done many? I grew up in theater--my parents met in a play in high school--and love it!)

Finally, to all who have commented on my PrimeTime post and shared your favorite inclusions and alarming omissions, thanks for the feedback. :) And a quick shoutout to azule, who did mention one of the positive aspects of the prime-condensed version that may have been overlooked by many of us mourning our lost favorite frames:
azule wrote:@kenmelken - PrimeTime was cool. I found it to be a neat way to catch up (without having to watch every frame again).

Incidentally, since that post we've actually had 3 more prime-numbered frames, and they actually comprised a set of prime triplets, which is a rather rare occurrence when you get this high! They were:
1667 &
1669, which was actually the only frame to include any dialogue since my post about 23 np ago, so luckily it managed to be spared in the condensed PrimeTime version.

Perhaps every 10-20 prime frames we pass I'll post an updated gif. Meanwhile, brace yourselves for another prime triplet set, since the 1600's are blessed with another set of them right at the end: 1693, 1697, & 1699.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”