1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

patzer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Here's my attempt at working out where Cuegan is.

From here:
Grandidier's baobab occurs in south-western Madagascar between Lac Ihotry (near Morombe) and Bereboka.

Bereboka is 60 kilometres Northeast of Morondava

therefore the baobab range is approximately this:

which means the sea must be to the north, not the south!

This isn't very helpful as the smaller rivers seem to be missing
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

edo

Postby edo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

cONGratulations, you have a compass!(not the right ONG)
so it seems the sea is to the south, and they were heading east, and now are heading either north (if they are in the northern hemisphere, also supported by turning cues) or south (if in the southern hemisphere.)
Last edited by edo on Wed May 29, 2013 5:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

And it's the third time in a row where I'm the first poster on a page. This has passed freaky and gone to totally super awesome. :D

Toffee apples? I've never had any, but it's never too late to try.

Spoiler:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

CONGRATULATING...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
ttscp wrote:DirectiONG!
Spoiler:

Walking east along the sea, in the morning (can we determine what frames were morning?)

If they were walking east along the sea shore for days, then they would have to be on the north or south end of the landmass they're on (or on a really large bay on the west coast). That should help narrow the search parameters a bit for those scouring google maps.

It would have to be the south--they were walking to the right and going east.

That does seem more likely, but I was trying not to rule out any awkward or deceptive camera angle changes (like flipping to a S facing view as they started walking).

They came across the river while moving to the right. the shots of them from behind were from behind going up the river. GLR would have ahd to break the 180° rule multiple times to make it work in any way from the North. Given that, the most likely answer(because it would require a lot fewer assumptions) is that they are on the north edge of the sea, or the south edge of their section of landmass.

Sorry, I forgot what Occam's razor was for and used it to shave this morning instead of assessing preferable hypotheses.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Walking east along the sea, in the morning (can we determine what frames were morning?)

If they were walking east along the sea shore for days, then they would have to be on the north or south end of the landmass they're on (or on a really large bay on the west coast). That should help narrow the search parameters a bit for those scouring google maps.

That does seem more likely, but I was trying not to rule out any awkward or deceptive camera angle changes (like flipping to a S facing view as they started walking).

They came across the river while moving to the right. the shots of them from behind were from behind going up the river. GLR would have ahd to break the 180° rule multiple times to make it work in any way from the North. Given that, the most likely answer(because it would require a lot fewer assumptions) is that they are on the north edge of the sea, or the south edge of their section of landmass.

Sorry, I forgot what Occam's razor was for and used it to shave this morning instead of assessing preferable hypotheses.

As a conceptual framework, I have to assume it's lousy for use in shaving.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:

As a conceptual framework, I have to assume it's lousy for use in shaving.

Ah, so that explains how this beard got here ...

rcrowell

Postby rcrowell » Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Like Megball, many of us have been wondering where everybody has gone.

It seems "the people" haven't been away for long, as indicated by the somewhat recently tended vines, the tree that must have been tied up/supported in the recent past, the bench that hasn't yet been overgrown with plant life and the (not quite as new) remainders of campsites.

One popular OTT hypothesis is that Cuegan are inhabiting some post-apocalyptic time period. Here's a possible alternative: all this evokes, in my mind at least, echos of Stephen King's "The Langoliers". Anybody else care to chime in on that thought? Maybe the molpies aren't really molpies. Maybe they are King's "timekeepers of eternity; their purpose is to clean up what is left of the past by eating it..." (from the Wikipedia entry on The Langoliers).

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:

If that's true (and I don't see any major flaws in the reasoning), it also means that for the sun to now be behind them as they travel upriver, one of the following must be true:
- They're in the northern hemisphere.
- It's late afternoon or evening, and the river course (moving upstream) has shifted eastward as it nears the mountains.
- Something more strange (e.g. it's a dream, they're on a different planet, etc.)

My earlier mention of a bear was a reference to the classic "what color was the bear?" riddle.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Image attempt. Let's see how long I can keep pretending that Outside is not there...

ChronosDragon: loving the movie poster!

ucim, re: adjectives: well, if you don't like my standard, start a new standard. Image In mine, wow is definitely an adjective. (Don't you think the Baobabs are wow?)

HAL9000, re: first frame, wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't know if this has been pointed out before, and it probably has, but one of the posts on the first page contains a link to the true first frame. Some exceptionally clever/obsessed person had all three of the first three frames saved, and had the bitstrings and images for the second and third, but only the image of the first. No bitstring, but still:
http://postimg.org/image/ftqovop7p/

Yeah, we know. Aubron, Geekwagen and I all have a copy of that one stored locally. But thanks for the tip anyway.

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm becoming more and more certain that this is a specific geographical location.
Just a general hunch, plus it seems like something GLR would do. The plants are very specific, even if the squirpy wildlife is a bit puzzling.
And this pre-Time OtherComic makes me wonder...
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure I've logged more hours in Google Maps over the past decade than in any game.
(If only it mentioned a Madagascan river instead of a Russian one!)

Indeed, it could be that the OTL is doing a Google Maps expedition and drawing the OTC based on that. That might explain why He might get it [heresy]wrong[/heresy] sometimes – all He's seeing is a top-down view.

TheMinim wrote:
mscha wrote:Blind post:
I hate the Outside, specifically [heresy]work[/heresy]. Can I please move in permanently and never go Out again?

Of course you may! Just as soon as you've got to this post.

Tempted. Very tempted...

Valarya! Welcome back! Very on topic looking cupcake you brought us...

edo wrote:cONGratulations, you have a compass!
But no working watch! (Oldpix.)
Luckily, there's newpixbot to:
newpixbot wrote:CONGRATULATING...
What are the odds? (Actually, 14 in 1062, 1.3%.)

So what'd I miss in the OTC? Cuegan playing with shadows, a bit boring. But it does tell us something about directions – the map is right! (Multininja'd, of course.) No Molpies, except in your imaginations. Image

Now back to the Big Bad Outside. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
slinches wrote:

If that's true (and I don't see any major flaws in the reasoning), it also means that for the sun to now be behind them as they travel upriver, one of the following must be true:
- They're in the northern hemisphere.
- It's late afternoon or evening, and the river course (moving upstream) has shifted eastward as it nears the mountains.
- Something more strange (e.g. it's a dream, they're on a different planet, etc.)

My earlier mention of a bear was a reference to the classic "what color was the bear?" riddle.

Yeah! Directions and time info, yoho!
I'll go with the assumption that they are in the northern hemisphere. Also, does it seem reasonable to assume that all the journey since the see has taken place during the day, from say 8am to 5pm? (with two short naps).
(alas, map update will have to wait for a dodecanewpix or so....)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
mscha wrote:Blind post:
I hate the Outside, specifically [heresy]work[/heresy]. Can I please move in permanently and never go Out again?

Of course you may! Just as soon as you've got to this post.

Tempted. Very tempted...

Come to the Time side. We may not have many cookies yet, but we have cake and song and Newpixes and lots of other awesome-ities.

Cookies, anyone?

Spoiler:
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 29, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I think the direction information largely forecloses any possibility of this being a real-world location. They walked, for days, into the sun.

If the OTC corresponds to Madagascar, the most obvious way for them possibly would be to have started somewhere around Marolinta or Faux Cap, and walked more or less ENE towards Taolagnaro. That's clearly a poor fit for the OTC. Even if "their" river was the Manambovo (somehow), and the river they turned to walk along was the Mandrare (even though it seems too small), they're on the wrong side of the island for Grandidier's baobabs. And the terrain is entirely incorrect.

At some times of year, it would also be possible to walk more or less into the sun along Madagascar's northwest coast, taking a NNE path (as Madagascar is at the far south end of the tropics), starting pretty much anywhere between, say, Soanenga and Mariarano. The Betsiboka River is fairly big, and has a prominent delta, which is something. But it's difficult to reconcile that with any of the other OTC features. The Mahavavy River is too close to the Betsiboka to be "their" unseen river; although the Namahota River might be a good fit, that raises the question of why we didn't see them cross the Mahavavy along the way. Also, the coastline here is deeply scalloped in some places, which doesn't seem to match the relatively linear coast they walked along. Also also, the Betsiboka is one of the most sediment-rich rivers in the world, so much so that even from space the waters appear reddish-brown. That would seem to be something they'd comment on, especially before tasting the water! And, most damningly, the camera angles would have required extreme shenanigans to support their turn along the right to be a right turn, leading them southeast. And they're still hundreds of miles away from the nearest Grandidier's baobab.

Casting the OTC in the heretical real world requires that we either move the trees, or move the island.

Hmm. You know, it's possible that the OTC is taking place on Cassini's version of Madagascar. If that's the case, they're currently walking northish (our world's SE) along the Mangoky River and the mountains they see in the distance are the escarpments of the Central Highlands. As this would then be a northern hemisphere location, the sun would be behind them as their shadow play implies. There are still a few problems with this, especially regarding their starting point: somewhere around Morondava would make sense, but we still have the extra rivers problem. Do we have any confirmation that the plants they harvested are grapes? I know they look kind of like grape vines, but if this is taking place on Cassini, they could be pole-form beans; lima beans are one of the dominant crops along the Mangoky.
Last edited by Qalyar on Wed May 29, 2013 5:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I'm playing the narrator in Into the Woods. One of my favorites, but unfortunately, it's only the first act, and it's a mostly student-run production and very disorganized. We open in a week and a half. Hopefully it will come together before then. It's till fun, mostly. This is only the second time I'll be on stage (last time was the same show and same part.) Usually I'm in the orchestra pit.

Wait. Didn't you say you were a girl? Is the entire cast gender flipped, or are you ignoring the baker/Mysterious man/narrator connection?
Spoiler:
Usually, but not always, the narrator and the mysterious man, who turns out to be baker's father, are played by the same person. At the end of the play, baker begins retelling the story in the exact words of the narrator, implying he was always the narrator.
I always thought it was nice and symbolic. It isn't necessary, I guess, but I feel it can make the play better. /musical nerdrage

I too love that one very dearly. When I was young my older brother and my mom played Jack and Jack's Mother respectively in a local production. Also, while the narrator/mysterious man/baker connection is indeed a beautiful part of the story, since lmjb1964 is only doing the first act, that correlation is kind of lost anyway. And while the second act is really what makes the play as fabulous as it is, at the same time it is brilliant that it was written in a way that the first act can be performed independently as a one-act play for smaller production.

Also, I'm totally excited about the shadows and sun references right now. I love it when Randall gives us juicy things to discuss here. These are the moments that particularly stoke my inner conflict between wanting this to be surreal and fictionally set and the excitement of discovering and deciphering the clues to determine an actual location they might be in (I am, admittedly, a GeoGuessr addict and I also make maps for my job, so naturally that prospect is exciting to me).
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 29, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Increasing elevatiONG.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Up and up we go! :D

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 29, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 6)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Volume 6 of assorted replies as I try to get caught up from 16 NewPages in the past...

yappobiscuits wrote:I guess as a metal musician I could go for an "Black Sabbath Number"... I play in folk metal band WolfSword. Our upcoming album will feature a guest solo from Jacob Ziemba, guitarist from I AM I (1). The singer from I AM I is ZP Theart, ex-singer for DragonForce (2). DragonForce opened for Iron Maiden in 2011 (3). Iron Maiden opened for Black Sabbath at Ozzfest 2005... so my Black Sabbath Number would be 4 :D

Let's see... I've played with a local keyboardist who once had a band that was one of the bands that warmed up for the John Entwistle Band out west during a stop on a US tour in the late 1990's (he also met John Entwistle and played with him backstage at some point during the day). John Entwistle also once did a project called Edge of the World with Glenn Titpon and Cozy Powell. Cozy Powell played in Black Sabbath from 1988 to 1991. So, even though I'm not a metal guitarist (more blues/jam-band like), I guess that gives me a Black Sabbath number of 3. :D

mikrit wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Now, let's all feed some squirrelpies!(does the way we name these animals remind anyone else of Avatar: the last Airbender?)

I read that as squirrel-pies. Wasn't it Elvis who liked squirrel pies?

Yes. With peanut butter and Canadian Bacon... :wink:

partingLance wrote:
taixzo wrote:Megan's gONG...

Any Tom Robinson fans on the OTT? Even if so, no TRB filks yet, I'll wager. And with that....

Now Megan's Gone
Spoiler:
Megan's gone... Megan's gone
Thing will never the same again
Now Megan's gone

I told the beach and the rising Sea
Our small River wouldn't answer me
I told the mustard, and I told the old tents
I told the molpy and the berry fence
I told the baobabs, told 'em just because
I'd tell La Petite if I knew where she was
I told everything in the world I knew
Would the people up the River know what to do...?

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc.)

I told the camp sites and acacia trees
I got down and told them on my knees
I told the Time Flies and the raptors too
I said oh my and-uh, boo-hoo
I told the dunes and I told the flood plains
What's she gonna do when it starts to rain?
I wish I was back in familiar haunts
She's like the Sea, she does what she wants...

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc., etc....).

ETA: 'Ray to BlitzGirl for "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys," and to rule110 for "Madagascarville" -- most excellent, both!

ETA2: My username is a variation on one I had for a long time on another forum. No real resemblence to the movie character -- I'm not a surfer (alas), and have never had occasion to work a forward .50 (thankfully).

Uhhh, I might lose any marginal semblance of music cred I may have been clinging to, but, ummm, I've never hear of Tom Robinson. I keep thinking of an old Byrds tune about "old John Robinson, he wore a Stetson hat" but I'm willing to wager that's not who you meant. Still, I don't know how your original tune is supposed to go. I look at the title and I hear "She's Gone" by Hall and Oates. Again -- likely not what you meant. :wink: But I do like the lyrics very much, so based on the wording, rhyme, and meter I give this a hearty "Huzzah!" :D

charlie_grumbles wrote:I think it is a molpython, actually.

A "molpython" huh? Well, just in case it hasn't come up in the pages ahead of me, let me be the one to ask: "Does it have a Flying Circus???" :wink:

k.bookbinder wrote:I think that many early food discoveries probably were the result of hunger, which caused early people to take advantage of happy accidents like the one you described. But this was hilarious, thank you! But poor Ugg. Just wondering, did he wear UGG boots?

I still believe it was more boredom than anything.
Spoiler:
If you're hungry, you look for things you know. No point taking chances or wasting energy on unknown food sources (remember Ugg). Perhaps, in survival mode, if you're starving, one might eat things not usually on the menu. Grubs and such. But I don't think those things do not become part of cultural diets (well some do, but usually not).

Think, instead, of some bored hunter, sitting around watching boar dig around tree roots. Suddenly, that poor bored hunter realizes that the boar are only digging near certain kinds of trees, let's say, hazelnut trees. At first he thinks, "oh, boars like hazelnuts," but then realizes they're not eating hazelnuts, as one does not dig for fallen hazelnuts. So the bored hunter, who is now less bored, decides to investigate. Examining an area recently dug by the boar's snout, he finds a hideous looking lump of something, finds it has a pungent smell, very earthy, and realizes it's probably some type of mushroom or other. Knowing the cautionary tale of Ugg and the discovery that red mushrooms are bad, the individual cautiously examines the new find. Concluding that the black lump is not red, and seeing that the boar hasn't keeled over yet, he takes a nibble. The hunter rushes back to his village to show what he has found.

"He Beer! Check this out."
"What have you got there, Truf?"
"I don't know. Boars eat it, though."
"Yeah well we eat boars and you were supposed to bring one back. What have you been doing out there?"
"No listen, look. This thing, it's really tasty. It's like a mushroom..."
"Damnit Truf! You should know better than to eat weird mushrooms. Remember Ugg? And now Bob is walking around the village talking to trees after trying the ones he picked out of the patties the ox left in the field"
"Yeah, well that's your fault Beer. Always betting him shells to try something new."
"Yeah, well, what else is there to do?"
"Look, just listen. The boars eat these. And they don't go all loopy and they don't keel over dead, either. They dig for them, see, and eat them. Try a bit. Not too much, it's got a strong flavor."
"Hey, wow. That's good. Like, really good, man. Oh you know what, that would be good in my new bread loaves."
"Bread loaves? What the hell are those?"
"Oh you know that stuff on the top of beer drink. If you mix it with ground wheat grains and water it gets all fluffy and soft, not flat. Think fluffy bread instead of flat bread."
"Fluffy bread?"
"Yeah. I'll show you."
"What about Bob?"
"Oh, he's fine. The effects wear off after a while. Oh, you know he added those yummy berries Rasp found to my beer drink."
"How'd it turn out?"
"Really good! We're calling it, Frambob."
"Frambob?"
"Well, something like that. What do we call these things?"
"How about...um...Truffles?"
"Sounds alright to me."

:D More great adventures in food history! :lol:

...and having reached the mandated long-enough-but-not-so-long-as-to-make-people-cranky official ketchupping guideline of five past-posts replied to, I'll throw this ahead and move on to volume 7, STILL 16 NP's behind!
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed May 29, 2013 5:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:I think it is a molpython, actually.

A "molpython" huh? Well, just in case it hasn't come up in the pages ahead of me, let me be the one to ask: "Does it have a Flying Circus???" :wink:

We don't know. But all we can do is wait for it. :D

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

As I continue my Quest to update the wiki (a task for which I have a goodly amount of Time [h]today[/h]), I'm reviewing a lot of the recent frames and story progress and realized that they must truly still be quite a bit closer to the river since rejoining it in 1402 than it has seemed since we haven't directly seen the shore of it again since they moved on at 1422. With all the baobab trees and abandoned campsites, it was easy to forget that they've still been along the river the whole time, which is why it was easy for Cueball to retrieve a new supply of water so quickly and return before Megan did in the seemingly brief amount of time she spent walking back to the vineyard for grapes. Unfortunately, as they now press on (supposedly) toward the mountains, we don't know if they are still alongside the river, and there seems to be dialogue to support either conclusion.

Either way, I am actually quite enjoying my Wiki Quest, but there really is much work to do and I could use some help, especially in expanding the articles on lots of the earlier periods that are merely stubs right now, or creating entries for red links, like those I've left open in the entry I created last night for the "Wow" Baobab Period. Wiki editing can actually be quite fun, so I'd love to see some of you over there. :)

Or maybe we should just require each of the districts to send 2 tributes to fight to the death contribute to the wiki...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed May 29, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

ONGward and upward!

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Chaotic Pile of Ketchup (vol 7)

Spoiler:

"Fries anyone? Ketchup crash snarls traffic in Nevada"

Still more assorted replies as I try to get caught up from 16 NewPages in the past...

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
partingLance wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I tried my hand at songrewriting again but Megan came back and ruined it. Oh well. Imagine this was posted a newpix ago.

Well here we are again
I had a lovely ketchup
We saw the squirpy moving
once or twice.
And Megan picked more grapes
But then she kept on walking
She left the frame for good and
That was not very nice

You want molpythons?
Take them
That's what I'm counting on

I used to wait for it
but
Now I know that Megan's gone
[/GLaDOS]

Excellent! Let me finish that for you...I changed "Megan's gone" to "The castles are gone" (which has one more syllable but is easy enough to sing to the tune)....

(psstt... ChronosDragon or Eternal Density... could you drop some hints as to what exactly that tune is? I missed that part, or my memory is a bit fogey today, maybe).

"Want You Gone," from the ending credits of Portal 2

Doing that made me want to do Still Alive, too...

Thanks for the link. I didn't recognize the song either. But nice version guys!!! :D

Ebonite wrote:Are we thinking of standardizing the creature names? If so, do we need to do any creative editing of Jabberwalky? There are a lot of creature references there.

Jabberwalky - the complete OTT version
Spoiler:
'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
Did dig and tunnel in the ground
All flighty were the raptorbirds,
And the beesnakes did abound.

Fear the molpyraptror, Megan!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the the ninjashark! And shun
the beesnakes that seek your snatch!

They took their dilgun'rang in hand:
Long time the sea answers they sought—
So rested they by the neat "Neat tree,"
And lay awhile in thought.

And as in thought they let Time pass,
The MolpyRabtor, bird-and-hare,
Came hopping/flying through the grass,
And screeched to see them there!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal trebuchet went thwack!
The RabtorBird fled with its head
And Cuegan had no snack.

"And hast thou slain the Molpysquir?
Come to my arms, my beamish Meg!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
She twisted off its head.

'Twas midday, and the molpymurs
Did dig and tunnel in the ground
All flighty were the raptorbirds,
And the beesnakes did abound.

Wow -- I musta missed the overall completed version! I really like this! Well done, fellow Jabberwalkyonists! :D

lmjb1964 wrote:I still say it's good to avoid generalizations. All generalization are always bad. They exaggerate things 100% of the time. :)

Well, generally that's true, but there are exceptions. You probably shouldn't generalize about generalizations.

Eternal Density wrote:Also: Molpython's Flying Circus.

Damn. I knew someone in this thread would jump on that. Nice job, Eternal-D! :) I guess that instead of rushing to post it in my last volume of chaotic ketchup pile, I should have...
Spoiler:
waited for it! :wink:

xpatiate wrote:It's a bit precarious up here on top of this derelict bandwagon, but I saw something shiny and couldn't resist...

Spoiler:
Snicker-snack sneaky-snake
Wandering reptiles im-
peril the peace of this
paradise found

I'd say the folks in this
antediluvian
garden should urgently
seek higher ground.

edited to change 'are threatening' for 'imperil' because more p's is always better

Very nice double dactly! :) But even if it is an ancient bandwagon, it's OK. The OTT is very much cyclic and redundantly recursive, and everything old is new again! So it's all good.

azule wrote:I'm here, and people are here, yet I find myself without much to contribute. I guess my (and others') earlier observations probably were not correct. If you got nothing to say, you got nothing to say.

Absolutely. But we also have seven-hundred and thirty-some pages of nothing to prove that "nothing to say" is not necessarily the same as "saying nothing". I, for one, can attribute at least half of my post count to saying nothing. :D

...and slowly making progress against the steady tide of Time -- I'm now 14 NP's behind...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 29, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:re: adjectives: well, if you don't like my standard, start a new standard. :)
I would, but I've been busy creating a generalized way of creating standards.

TheMinim wrote:Come to the Time side. We may not have many cookies yet, but we have cake and song and Newpixes and lots of other awesome-ities.
I first read that as "... lots of other awesome lies.".

kenmelken wrote:With all the baobab trees and abandoned campsites, it was easy to forget that they've still been along the river the whole time, which is why it was easy for Cueball to retrieve a new supply of water so quickly and return before Megan did in the seemingly brief amount of time she spent walking back to the vineyard for grapes. Unfortunately, as they now press on (supposedly) toward the mountains, we don't know if they are still alongside the river, and there seems to be dialogue to support either conclusion.
I think it is noteworthy that there was no comment about the way the water tastes. They are presumably getting farther (higher up) from the sea, and the water should be less sealike (as opposed to seaish - I have no idea what "big" water tastes like, nor do I want the water I drink to "do what it wants").

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:...and slowly making progress against the steady tide of Time -- I'm now 14 NP's behind...

Steady? It's not steady. It's calm at some times and chaotic at millions of others.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:...and slowly making progress against the steady tide of Time -- I'm now 14 NP's behind...

Steady? It's not steady. It's calm at some times and chaotic at millions of others.

It averages out to steady.

I'm not going to lie. I've started posts something like 5 times today, and realized halfway through the post that I had absolutely nothing to say. I'm apparently boring today.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

I'm not going to lie. I've started posts something like 5 times today, and realized halfway through the post that I had absolutely nothing to say. I'm apparently boring today.

Posting the first thing that comes into my head works very well for me! :lol: :lol:

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
partingLance wrote:
taixzo wrote:Megan's gONG...

Any Tom Robinson fans on the OTT? Even if so, no TRB filks yet, I'll wager. And with that....

Now Megan's Gone
Spoiler:
Megan's gone... Megan's gone
Thing will never the same again
Now Megan's gone

I told the beach and the rising Sea
Our small River wouldn't answer me
I told the mustard, and I told the old tents
I told the molpy and the berry fence
I told the baobabs, told 'em just because
I'd tell La Petite if I knew where she was
I told everything in the world I knew
Would the people up the River know what to do...?

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc.)

I told the camp sites and acacia trees
I got down and told them on my knees
I told the Time Flies and the raptors too
I said oh my and-uh, boo-hoo
I told the dunes and I told the flood plains
What's she gonna do when it starts to rain?
I wish I was back in familiar haunts
She's like the Sea, she does what she wants...

[chorus] Megan's gone... Megan's gone (etc., etc....).

ETA: 'Ray to BlitzGirl for "Don't Worry, Feed Squirpys," and to rule110 for "Madagascarville" -- most excellent, both!

ETA2: My username is a variation on one I had for a long time on another forum. No real resemblence to the movie character -- I'm not a surfer (alas), and have never had occasion to work a forward .50 (thankfully).

Uhhh, I might lose any marginal semblance of music cred I may have been clinging to, but, ummm, I've never hear of Tom Robinson. I keep thinking of an old Byrds tune about "old John Robinson, he wore a Stetson hat" but I'm willing to wager that's not who you meant. Still, I don't know how your original tune is supposed to go. I look at the title and I hear "She's Gone" by Hall and Oates. Again -- likely not what you meant. :wink: But I do like the lyrics very much, so based on the wording, rhyme, and meter I give this a hearty "Huzzah!" :D

Thanks! As for Tom Robinson: not to worry about cred, he was never that big in North America, I guess. If you go to YouTube and search using his name and "Now Martin's Gone," you'll find at least one "video" (for which read: a still of the single sleeve, with the music).

Two things: one, this was far from being his best song (I'd have said that was "Power In The Darkness," or maybe "2-4-6-8 Motorway"). Two: man, does it ever have an 80s sound, and not in a good way. I'm fairly sure I hadn't heard it, from then to now.

But past all that: in the fourth line of (my) second verse, there's a reference to a very different artist. Any guesses?
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed May 29, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Posting the first thing that comes into my head works very well for me! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but the first thing that comes into my head today has been some variation of "blubbity blurp, dippy zing"
If I start to respond, I get halfway through the first sentence and either completely lose my train of thought, or realize I'm basically saying the exact same thing as what I'm responding to. It's annoying.
“have i gone mad?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Yeah, but the first thing that comes into my head today has been some variation of "blubbity blurp, dippy zing"
If I start to respond, I get halfway through the first sentence and either completely lose my train of thought, or realize I'm basically saying the exact same thing as what I'm responding to. It's annoying.

Okay. Just enjoy the ride!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed May 29, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

@Kieryn - standards
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Aagh! No standardizing! No standardizing! No standardizing!

Yes, Thanks. Agree completely. Have a tall one. Go with it. Let it happen.

I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

Sigged.

EDIT: Okay, why doesn't quote work in my signature?

@HAL9000 - footnotes
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:As for the footnotes, if they aren't defined in the post, then each number refers to a specific adjective Megan and/or Cueball has used. There's a list in mscha's signature, and his Newpixbot (a script that posts each frame ten minutes after the hour if nobody else has gotten around to it) ensures that there's almost always a post of his around for easy reference. Started with "The river is small./The sea is big." We took that and made it into:
The river1 and the sea2
1small
2big

Eventually we got tired of defining the same footnotes over and over, and they were used often enough for pretty much everyone to understand what is meant if we leave a superscripted number without an explanation.
It's really the only thing every one of us agrees on, though there's probably a few competing standards. We tend to produce multiple versions of things.
Welcome to the thread!

Except the sea1 is 1 and the river2 is 2. But in the OTC frame 563, the river was mentioned before the sea. I suppose it's way too late to fix that now, mscha?

@various people talking about BlitzGirl's waterottermolpy
Spoiler:
nerdsniped wrote:
richP wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

If the waterottermolpy reproduces, it might have a daughterwaterottermolpy. Though if the river1 retreats further, and the sun is baking down, it might come under stress -- a hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy.

Reminds me of a tweedle beetle puddle paddle battle.

@taixzo - blitzing
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

No idea. Try it and if you survive, we'll know! :wink:
It might be a little Mad, but that's the OTT for you.

TimeLurker wrote:
taixzo wrote:So, I kind of jumped into the thread around newpage 680 or so, and am considering BlitzGirling the whole thing. Thoughts? Is such a thing still feasible?

If you shun the Outside and live, eat, breathe the OTT as all true followers due then it is not only feasible, but your true calling.
That being said, noone will know if you skim/skip and join us in the present as well :wink: .

slinches wrote:

Feasible? Yesfootnote Sane? Not a chance.

I've been reading everything since the beginning and it's been difficult enough to just keep up. Although, if you're brave enough to attempt it, I'm sure you'll find copious amounts of moral support from everyone here.

footnoteAssuming you are willing to completely shun the outside and devote all of your time to the OTT.

Well, I suppose that every newpix I delay is another I will have to blitz past later, so I suppose I'm off. Bye everyone!

*hops into time portal*

Good luck on your quest, and congratulations on finally reaching this post!

@lmjb1964 - leaf gecko
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 wrote:-snip-

This guy doesn't have anything to do with the OTC (yet), but I just had to include him:
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/025/591/i02/leaf-gecko-madagascar.jpg

Can I pet him?

1big
2small
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

richP

Postby richP » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:re: adjectives: well, if you don't like my standard, start a new standard. :)
I would, but I've been busy creating a generalized way of creating standards.

That's strange, I've been working on a standard way of creating generalizations..

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

I propose we standardize the process of going with it and remaining free from standards. If it seems that a standard is forming, within 2 newpages we must ensure at least 5 rebuttals are made, each ending with the phrase "ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball". At which point we all chant in unison "united we stand opposed to standards" and rub our tummies in circles while patting our head.

That sounds like fun! Heck, let's do it every 2 newpages regardless of whether a standard is forming! ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping pong ball!

I too, agree. For example, I believe that semencancercoffeebabbiesonice has many many different permutations. It's more OTT-like to allow for variations. Yes, it makes it harder to "define" on the OTW, but that's ok. The definitions of molpy and/or raptor could include something like, "used in what sometimes appears to be a hap-hazard manner to append to or combine with animal names, regardless of whether they are recognizable as a planet-earth form of life."

mscha wrote:
mscha wrote:Did we ever identify the species of the tree? Must be something fruit-bearing (or nut-bearing, whatever; in any case, Squirpy-food bearing). Ah, ninja'd by BlitzGirl, maybe a Persimmon tree. (Although Google Image Search doesn't really give me a matching image: those clustered leaves seem typical for the Squirpy tree.

I enlisted some (hopefully) expert assistance. We'll see ...

Wow, how quickly someone tried to start flaming! Just goes to show how AWESOME we are!

Some additional comments

Pet peeve: It's spelled Jabberwocky, gosh darn it!

YAY to the various new songs and poems. Since I'm semi-blitzing, and failed to make note as I was reading of who did what, I just want to say they'r are all fabulous (nerdsniped, lmjb, BlitzGirl, and at least a couple others I'm not recalling right now). Oh, there's the second margaritaville, and .... oh shoot. anyway - all fab!

Did anyone notice that Megan took a taste of the ground-berries after the squirrel snubbed her?

Can I just note I'm doing a TERRIBLE job at skimming.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed May 29, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

New song parody time! And I've come over all punk for this one!

Just a disclaimer: it's absolutely NOT referring to anyone real at all, or a stab at blitzing generally, it's entirely a hypothetical story - the original song comes from a parody concept album about a death metal band that sells out and starts playing pop punk to make more money, and the song "Fake Punk" talks about how they're not really punk at heart, as much as they try to look it. I thought it would be funny to turn it into a hypothetical story about a timewaiter who doesn't really want to blitz the thread but does it anyway thinking it'll gain him more respect in the community. But remember, completely hypothetical, nothing against any of our actual blitzers! (See avatar, I love you!)

"Fake Blitz"
(Based on "Fake Punk" by Devin Townsend, under the Punky Brüster alias)
Spoiler:
This here's a song about the things you don't find in the Outside
This here's a tale about conditions of the head
At one time I wanted to just stick around the present
But I'll get more respect if I go read through the whole thread

I've gotta blitz the past, and forget about present happenings
And even though I'm a casual timewaiter at the most
Randall knows I wanna be loved
So I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!
On a fake blitz! I'm on a fake blitz!
I'll just skim through most of the posts
And I won't really read the words,
I'll even botch a half-assed signpost
'Cause I've got the skills for it!

I've never had interest in whatever lies behind us
It doesn't really matter if I know this stuff or not
But just look how everybody honours those like BlitzGirl
So I'll just carry on and trudge through newpages a lot

I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!
I'll just skim through most of the posts
And I won't really read the words,
I'll even botch a half-assed signpost
'Cause I've got the skills for it!

I'd be alright if I could just hang out in the future
I'd be just fine if the whole past just went away
And maybe when I come back I'll prepare a present present
But when it comes to sincere ketchup you can just
Leave me the f*ck alone!

I'm on a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!
On a fake blitz! On a fake blitz!

OW OW yes alright I'll get on with recording Boom De Yada 2, leggo me ear!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 29, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:<snip>

I haven't figured out how to post the first thing that comes into your head - you make it looks so easy, but for some of us it is rather difficult.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Invitation to All
Spoiler:
I want to invite you all to a Memorial Day party and picnic at my summer place; address below.

We will have a barbecue with molpyburgers as the main course. Molberry wine for all. If your age, infirmity, taste, or belief doesn't permit you fermented drink, then the pure unfermented juice will be available as well. And don't forget to try the special version of semencancercoffeebabbiesonice. Either bottled or on tap.

For the vegans/vegetarians among you, my master Chef can provide Peace waffles with Baobab Syrup.

Hope you can all make it. Bring your bags, shadows, building materials, dilgunerangs, walking shoes. Sand will be provided, as will the seabig, various and sundary riverssmall ... big, dunes, hills, mountains, etc.

Don't, however, try the water.

And if you try the pool, watch out for the hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy. And don't mis-interpret the name. She gets very upset about sexist comments.

Fluffy will be available for petting [important]but not her tummy[/important]. Peewee will wait tables, but keep flames away, please, (for everyone's safety).

Sorry if this arrives late but the mail seems to be moving at the rate of newpix. If you miss this then it may repeat again each yip until the End of Time

750 Hearst Castle Road
San Simeon, CA 93452

RSVP (800) 444-4445
hearstcastle.org‎

Oh, forgot to add. It's CYOM, "catch your own molpy".
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed May 29, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Ok, I HATE it when I fail to click "Save" when using the multi-quote script!
*busily tries to recreate the oh-so-very-important things that have gone missing*

@HAL9000 - I wanted to say that from my perspective, you have really grown and matured over the course of this thread. And I would say the same thing even if I did not know you were in high school. You have learned to try to moderate your tone, you have taken input quite well, and you even have noted in your sig, "I occasionally go off on a rant about some trivial thing or another. You don't really need to listen to those." To me, you have become a bit of a leader on this thread. Yes, you get a bit testy sometimes, but we each have our quirks, and overall I think we have all learned to be quite accepting of each other.

@Everyone - On a similar note, we don't have the "grammar police" and "spelling police" going on that often occur in forum settings. We might have had a bit at the beginning, but truth is, those things don't really matter much (other than spelling Jabberwocky, of course. THAT'S important). I think that those types of things are largely about bullying, i.e. "you are such an idiot you don't even know how to spell _____." We all like each other too much to pick on each other that way. I think all of us have learned a lot more patience and tolerance here. I know that I have had plenty of times when I feel annoyed or hurt, and in the past I might have responded defensively. But now, this thread is too important and special, and I don't want to contribute to a negative tone. It makes it un-fun.

Side note: I also congratulate us on learning that the best way to quench a flame is to just not respond. At all. OR to write a happy song. :)

TAROT cards - I'm still ketching up, so don't know if this has gotten any further, but if the Tarot card thing is going to move forward, I would like to request that a hatted buffygirl be used (not just the hat). Several of them are on the Wikia, but not any of my favorites ... so I would have to supply something, I guess. Or I could upload them all. But that seems a bit .... self-indulgent. THANK YOU!

MWAH!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed May 29, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:Pet peeve: It's spelled Jabberwocky, gosh darn it!

Pet peeve: That is heresy young miss. Heresy.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

A very sad and lonely post...
Kieryn wrote:Two youtube clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYNJwpHWsBg
Is this the one direction where the OTC is heading?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn3ogzLzxuM
ETA: It's all related.

And some cake:
Spoiler:

Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:
Also, I must implore my fellow data-freaks to check out that 2nd video... the visualization concepts are very similar to Scisitor's work with posts and quotes on the OTT.

Edit: This post would have to be at the bottom of the page. Image
Last edited by Kieryn on Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

VMPCONG
Last edited by spamjam on Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:@Kieryn - standards
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Sigged.

EDIT: Okay, why doesn't quote work in my signature?

<snip>
@various people talking about BlitzGirl's waterottermolpy
Spoiler:
nerdsniped wrote:
richP wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Waterottermolpy?

Because that's fun to say. :D

Yes! :mrgreen: Today I saw a waterottermolpy.

Waterottermolpy? Thaterottermolpy over there!

If the waterottermolpy reproduces, it might have a daughterwaterottermolpy. Though if the river1 retreats further, and the sun is baking down, it might come under stress -- a hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy.

Reminds me of a tweedle beetle puddle paddle battle.<snip>

When a molpy's in the puddle where the tweedle beetles battle with their paddles in some water on a hotter otter's daughter, this is what they call:
a tweedle beetle battle-addled puddle-paddled fuddled rattled hotterdaughterwaterottermolpy!

(Your quote's not working because you need " instead of ' surrounding the author name. :wink: )
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:I too, agree. For example, I believe that semencancercoffeebabbiesonice has many many different permutations. It's more OTT-like to allow for variations. Yes, it makes it harder to "define" on the OTW, but that's ok. The definitions of molpy and/or raptor could include something like, "used in what sometimes appears to be a hap-hazard manner to append to or combine with animal names, regardless of whether they are recognizable as a planet-earth form of life."

Well, as I am in the midst of my wiki-Quest anyway, I'll just use a bit of editing magic, and... voila!
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Molpy

I'm actually also going to probably add quite a bit more to that page pretty soon here.

By the way, I have another question/proposal for the community. Last night I proposed naming the period between the Vineyard Period and Megan's Quest, "The Decision Period." It was seconded and not objected to, but I'm about to make that page and beginning to think I don't like that name much anymore (even though I proposed it). Mostly, it isn't the first decision point they've had, even if a significant one. Also, most of the other periods in the Journey Eon have been named according to either their generic journeying segment number or the notable geographic features. Thus, I'm thinking about naming it something like the "Abandoned Campsite Period" instead, as that is where they are for during those frames. But then, it occurred to me that if the former residents had built a whole vineyard adjacent, it probably wasn't just a campsite, but a more long-term site of residence. So, what about the "Abandoned Habitation Period" as its name? Any other thoughts?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”