1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 12:31 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:@yappobiscuits, I don't know the original of your song, but your version is cute. And I just love your avatar!

Thanks! And I don't blame you for not knowing it, Devin Townsend is highly respected and well-known in the metal community but not so much elsewhere, and that song is from the first album he ever did and it was just a silly parody album he produced himself, even some of his fans probably haven't even heard it ;)

Heh, I hope that didn't come across at all hipsterish :oops:

@Kieryn - here :)
macraw83 wrote:I was surprised noone responded to this:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:I've been lurking for so lONG I haven't had a chance to do this yet...
Are they bigger, or is it just perspective?

Thanks! Nice one... That is quite a way back! I guess we are all the same person1

1Possibly Randall
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 am UTC

ergman wrote:I'll adjust my statement: I like math(s), I hate math class :lol:

Nothing to argue with there. I hope you can have better experiences in the future. My early history was hating everything about school. The problems in Geometry class were the first positive educational experience I remember at about age 15 or 16. I was almost held back five years earlier for not learning my multiplication tables. And ten years later I was a mathematician (well, twelve, anyway).

Let me continue for a bit, though. As humans we have a weakness. We aren't very good at dealing with a lot of complex detail. Search for "Miller's Rule of Seven", for example. But we have a strength that lets us compensate for that weakness; the ability to form abstractions. Language is built entirely on this ability. Molpy is an abstraction known in this community, for example. So, we mask the complexity we find it hard to handle, with a simple thing, the abstraction. Combining abstractions gets complex again so we move to a higher level abstraction - getting a new WORD, extending our language.

Not my field, but I'll guess that our brains evolved with our language, each driving the other upward.

But even if I'm wrong about that, it is this language (abstraction) ability that makes it possible to think at a higher and higher level.

Moreover these abstractions get actualized in the world as tools that we can use to build better and better tools. So simple stone tools made it possible to do agriculture, which freed us to think and form abstractions, which let to iron tools which led to steel, etc, all the way to your iPad (or whatever). But there were a lot of steps along the way.

ETA: XKCD is coolest because, over time (Time, again) it touches on all these things. It is after all: A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language. (Hmmm, now where did I steal that from?)
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Thu May 30, 2013 12:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Edit: Topping two newpages in a row. Oh yeah baby.
Edit 2: If it wasn't for that pesky DONG on 740 it would have been... um... wait... oh... one I guess, because these last two would become bottom dwellers.

Oops. :P Well, for what it's worth, that was, seriously, my first time ever capturing the top (and doing so with a prime-numbered DONG made it extra special!)

Also, I agree with charlie_grumbles about the beauty, usefulness, and power of abstraction.

I for one find the abstraction we call Calculus to be one of mankind's greatest accomplishments, on par with the wonders of the world.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu May 30, 2013 12:57 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Edit: Topping two newpages in a row. Oh yeah baby.
Edit 2: If it wasn't for that pesky DONG on 740 it would have been... um... wait... oh... one I guess, because these last two would become bottom dwellers.

Oops. :P Well, for what it's worth, that was, seriously, my first time ever capturing the top (and doing so with a prime-numbered DONG made it extra special!)

Also, I agree with charlie_grumbles about the beauty, usefulness, and power of abstraction.

I for one find the abstraction we call Calculus to be one of mankind's greatest accomplishments, on par with the wonders of the world.

I haven't started Calc yet (let's remind everyone how young Chronosdragon is! :oops: ), but I'll be starting it next year, and the small taste I've had has already got me hooked. It just makes sense.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:

Funny you should say that. My dissertation was, in fact, a complete Calculus1, for a variation on the definitions of derivative and integral. An abstraction built on abstractions.

But I was one of the last people to do (i.e. create) math of that sort. The serious work went elsewhere at about that time. But, in the nature of it, I knew as much as anyone then alive about Calculus and its real meaning. Alas, no longer.

And no, I'm not as old as Isaac Newton (who had is main insights at about age 19, I think).

1 heretical Mean Value Theorem, Fundamental Theorem, ...

Oh, and not just mankind. One of my precursors was W.L.C. Sargeant, a female mathematician from the UK.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu May 30, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Aye Aye Mister StormalONG
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Blitz progress: 607 of 742
Still Walking AlONG, np 1313

W00T, 100th post in the OTT! (as opposed to my 100th post overall, which has already been chronicled...)

Recent happenings:
Connections to the Other Comic - dinosaur birds?
Firstposts, which, by the way, here's mine, at NP49 and np127:
Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:Been lurking since Monday... finally I have a post to make.

I took 125, subtracted it from 126, and saved the resulting file so that you could see the differences, saturating instead of wrapping around 0 so that places where 125 was slightly brighter than 126 didn't show up as bright spots.

I then did the same in reverse, subtracting 126 from 125 to catch those changes.

Annoying that you can't post links in your first few posts, but here go two pseudo-links for those who may be curious:

(world wide web dot) dropbox (dot) com (slash) s (slash) eg4lie3kfksnf6j (slash) 126%20minus%20125 (dot) bmp

(world wide web dot) dropbox (dot) com (slash) s (slash) 9h0bs2r80wz3fgk (slash) 125%20minus%20126 (dot) bmp
I signed up for the forum specifically to post this, and ended up sticking around for the ride. At the time, it didn't look like anyone else had the same idea, but the combination of getting stuck in moderation and not being able to post links kind of put a damper on that, and by the time this had gotten through moderation someone else had provided an equivalent (if not superior) solution, and being the n00b I was I didn't want to bump my lost post.

BTW, the links are now long dead, once I realized it wasn't really going to work I removed them. I suppose I could go back in and re-add them, but the Time has passed by more than a kilonewpix.

Also, I've been seeing a number of new avatars recently, which appear to either be inspired by BlitzGirl's Boom de Yada piece, or possibly made from a sequel. This could be exciting!

I'm also wondering if someone could get me one of those fancy animated avatars that switches between my buffydashery version and the Boom de Yada one, since I've also seen a bunch of those too...

Pastpost responses:
Spoiler:
A message from Vytron, who was a Blitzer at the time:
Vytron wrote:macraw83 gets trapped in the past, and I already seem to have surpassed xem as xey's in 506/587. macraw83: You can do it! Don't give up!

It seems xey's also running an experiment. I... I don't know what's it about. Is it to see what would happen if you quote something I never say? Or is it to see if I'd say whatever you quote me saying in the future? Please tell me and I'll comply with your experiment's expectations!
First, to avoid any future confusion, I am male, and as such the masculine pronouns will work for me. Still not sure how much I like the gender-neutral versions, but I suppose they're better than nothing.

According to your sigcouragement (which is much appreciated), you must be in the Present by now, as I noticed it a while ago congratulating me on my 100th post shortly after I made it. And you also know that I have fallen much deeper into the Past than I was even then. But I believe I am slowly working my way back.

And also, you seem to have noticed my experiment. But, the results are still inconclusive, so I will resume Waiting (for it).
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Also, I agree with charlie_grumbles about the beauty, usefulness, and power of abstraction.

For me, any discussion of math and abstraction inevitably leads to music, the most sublime expression of both.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
kenmelken wrote:

Funny you should say that. My dissertation was, in fact, a complete Calculus1, for a variation on the definitions of derivative and integral. An abstraction built on abstractions.

But I was one of the last people to do (i.e. create) math of that sort. The serious work went elsewhere at about that time. But, in the nature of it, I knew as much as anyone then alive about Calculus and its real meaning. Alas, no longer.

And no, I'm not as old as Isaac Newton (who had is main insights at about age 19, I think).

1 heretical Mean Value Theorem, Fundamental Theorem, ...

Oh, and not just mankind. One of my precursors was W.L.C. Sargeant, a female mathematician from the UK.

That's absolutely awesome. We really have amazing folks around here. I don't know if I'd be able to understand your paper if it is super advanced math (and I'm assuming it is), but my fiancee probably could. She's working on her own graduate work in mathematics right now and particularly loves calculus. (I therefore do know and appreciate female contribution to the field! I'll choose pronouns more carefully in the future...)

fhorn wrote:For me, any discussion of math and abstraction inevitably leads to music, the most sublime expression of both.

I agree here too! I've found that those who really love and savor math then to also love, understand, and savor music, and vice versa.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:27 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:And THAT reminds me of a fun video proving the Pythagorean theorem!

This is probably both the simplest and most interesting proof of it I've seen:
mscha wrote:Can't let Hal get all the ONGs...

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hal9000 should be studying anyway.:shock:

Giving a presentation for school, a presentation which is also the reason I've been online so late into the night recently (gotta have something to do while all this stuff prints, and I have an absurdly slow printer). I suppose it's only fair, having that which enable a 12-ONG combo keep me away from my computer for a bit...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 1:31 am UTC

fhorn wrote:For me, any discussion of math and abstraction inevitably leads to music, the most sublime expression of both.

Many, many, perhaps most, mathematicians would agree with you and many have been proficient musicians, classical and otherwise.

I, however, am, perhaps, the most un-musical person you've ever come across. Back in the 60's when we had sing-alongs (yes, hoot-nannys) all my friends were happiest when I was lip-syncing.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 30, 2013 1:37 am UTC

mscha wrote:I wonder it it's possible to do a lriGztilB... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)
<snip>

Here you go:

Spoiler:
ReverseBlitzGirl.png
ReverseBlitzGirl.png (13.7 KiB) Viewed 14416 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu May 30, 2013 1:37 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:And THAT reminds me of a fun video proving the Pythagorean theorem!

This is probably both the simplest and most interesting proof of it I've seen:
mscha wrote:Can't let Hal get all the ONGs...

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hal9000 should be studying anyway.:shock:

Giving a presentation for school, a presentation which is also the reason I've been online so late into the night recently (gotta have something to do while all this stuff prints, and I have an absurdly slow printer). I suppose it's only fair, having that which enable a 12-ONG combo keep me away from my computer for a bit...

Sorry if this turns into a double post, but I gotta get outta here.

ChronosDragon's video has the edge here, being general and independent of the particular right triangle. The video here is too specific to be a "proof". But as a demo, yes. Very cool.

And as they say in the theatre world (re: your presentation) "break a leg"
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:I'm also wondering if someone could get me one of those fancy animated avatars that switches between my buffydashery version and the Boom de Yada one, since I've also seen a bunch of those too...

How's this?

(I'll also PM it, otherwise you won't see it for umptypix...)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Maybe someday I'll even get a hat... but I totally understand you not taking requests right now.

Well, if you're a frequent customer (especially one as perfect as I often am), you pick up a thing or two just by observation1...
This should do as at least a stand-in:
kenmelken's hats.png
kenmelken's hats.png (29.71 KiB) Viewed 14397 times

1Or possibly osmosis. Don't know which.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:I wonder it it's possible to do a lriGztilB... (A reverse BlitzGirl.)
<snip>

Here you go:

(: .od ll'ti tub ,dnim ni dah I tahw etiuq toN
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 1:49 am UTC

mscha wrote:
macraw83 wrote:I'm also wondering if someone could get me one of those fancy animated avatars that switches between my buffydashery version and the Boom de Yada one, since I've also seen a bunch of those too...

How's this?

(I'll also PM it, otherwise you won't see it for umptypix...)

Oooh ooo oo oo ooooh me me me me too? .... hope it's not too much to ask??? I could probably figure out to do it myself but it would take me an hour and there's no way I would do as good a job.

Edit: Actually mine might be tricky due to the aspect ratio difference... if it's too much of a bother, it's really okay.
Image- Kieryn

edo

Postby edo » Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Qalyar wrote:
ucim wrote:
Qalyar wrote:So, I've been exploring the possibility of the OTC taking place in Cassinite Madagascar in more detail.
Is the climate and biome of Cassinite Madagascar similar enough to Canonical Madagascar? I wonder if the scenario is post conversion as in having the earth have been Cassinited some time (but not a lot of time) prior to newpix zero.

Cassinite Madagascar is no longer tropical, and would be quite a bit cooler than real Madagascar, but still gets quite a bit of warm air and water (and hurricanes), and would almost certainly be forested, albeit with a forest of a different sort.

I agree that, if the Cassinite theory holds, the likely situation is that the rotation occurred in the relatively recent past. That also provides a solution to the question of why what the sea wants to do is rise.
Oh, the sea is Cassinated, not Caffeinated, it makes perfect sense now. (They must have been using those f shaped s's)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 am UTC

mathrec wrote:...
One of the neatest thinks about the Pythagorean theorem is that the ancient Egyptians knew that it was true, but did not know why. The elegant proof was left for a later civilization.

One of the neat things about history is that you can hear stories that aren't necessarily true. There is substantial anecdotal evidence suggesting that Egyptians knew of the special case for 3,4,5 right triangles (although some doubt that), and no evidence that they knew the general relationship. On the other hand, there are Indian documents that show that they knew of the relationship before Pythagoras (and had proved it).

Oh, well. There are enough people here who might care, so I printed the retraction.
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Maybe someday I'll even get a hat... but I totally understand you not taking requests right now.

Well, if you're a frequent customer (especially one as perfect as I often am), you pick up a thing or two just by observation1...
This should do as at least a stand-in:
kenmelken's hats.png

1Or possibly osmosis. Don't know which.

OOOOHH!!!!!!!! I like. :) Looks like a party.

I'll have to start wearing my hats after I have something to celebrate (should be in the very near future...) ;)

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 am UTC

With apologies -- really! -- to Lou Reed, my take on "I'm Waiting For The Man":

I'm Waiting For The ONG

I'm waiting for my ONG
Oh where's the newpix? I've been waiting too long
It's never early, sometimes it's late
The First Commandment is -- Wait for It, and Wait...
I'm waiting for my ONG

Cueball and Megan, building castles so high
The sea is rising, and they don't know why
Or if it rains, way out there at sea
(And when they look this way, do they see you and me?)
I'm waiting for my ONG

Time to find out, time to take some bags and go
Are there more rivers? Well they just don't know
The River's small, the Sea is so Big
They'll never suss it out, if all they do is dig
I'm waiting for my ONG

Now comes the Fading, looks like the End
And LaPetite -- is she foe or friend?
Does the Sea end? They haven't walked far
And does even Megan know just where they are?
I'm waiting for my ONG

I'm waiting on the sand
Tiny trebuchet in my hand
I'm waiting here, I'm in such a state
So someone tell me -- how long must I Wait?
I'm waiting for my ONG

(Edit to twerk the meter, make everything scan better etc.)
Last edited by partingLance on Thu May 30, 2013 4:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Many, many, perhaps most, mathematicians would agree with you and many have been proficient musicians, classical and otherwise.

I, however, am, perhaps, the most un-musical person you've ever come across. Back in the 60's when we had sing-alongs (yes, hoot-nannys) all my friends were happiest when I was lip-syncing.

Pfft. You just didn't have a good music teacher *says the former music teacher*. It can be taught.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 2:07 am UTC

partingLance Said he was waiting for the ONG, so here it is...

partingLance's Song:
Spoiler:
partingLance wrote:With apologies -- really! -- to Lou Reed, my take on "I'm Waiting For The Man":

I'm Waiting For The ONG

I'm waiting for the ONG
Oh where's the newpix? Seems I've been waiting too long
The First Commandment's simple -- Wait for it, and Wait...
I'm waiting for the ONG

Cueball and Megan, they build their castles so high
I'm waiting for the ONG

Are there more rivers somewhere? Well they just don't know
I'm waiting for the ONG

Now comes the Fading, it looks like the End
And LaPetite appears -- is she foe or friend?
And does the Sea end? They haven't walked far
I'm waiting for the ONG

I'm waiting on the sand
So can someone tell me -- how long must I Wait?
I'm waiting for the ONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu May 30, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Oooh ooo oo oo ooooh me me me me too? .... hope it's not too much to ask??? I could probably figure out to do it myself but it would take me an hour and there's no way I would do as good a job.
Edit: Actually mine might be tricky due to the aspect ratio difference... if it's too much of a bother, it's really okay.

I should really be a-coma. Oh, well...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 am UTC

ucim wrote:
kenmelken wrote:So, I'm actually just about to make that page. Are there any further objections or discussion for or against "Questioning the Quest at the Abandoned Habitation" before I do so?
As JeanLuc would say to his seamstress, "Make it sew!"

Jose

Oh me yarm we're not going the JeanLuc route are we? He told his farmer, "Make it sow." ..his boatman, "Make it row." somebody stop me. OK, I'm stopping myself.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:PartingLance Said he was waiting for the ONG, so here it is...
Spoiler:
partingLance wrote:With apologies -- really! -- to Lou Reed, my take on "I'm Waiting For The Man":

I'm Waiting For The ONG

I'm waiting for the ONG
Oh where's the newpix? Seems I've been waiting too long
The First Commandment's simple -- Wait for it, and Wait...
I'm waiting for the ONG

Cueball and Megan, they build their castles so high
I'm waiting for the ONG

Are there more rivers somewhere? Well they just don't know
I'm waiting for the ONG

Now comes the Fading, it looks like the End
And LaPetite appears -- is she foe or friend?
And does the Sea end? They haven't walked far
I'm waiting for the ONG

I'm waiting on the sand
So can someone tell me -- how long must I Wait?
I'm waiting for the ONG

Weird, the ONG still isn't loading for me on either xkcd.com or the imgs server. Bad case of the hiccups, I guess.
ETA that I can see it fine here, but can't get any of Randall's sites to load it.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu May 30, 2013 2:16 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Oooh ooo oo oo ooooh me me me me too? .... hope it's not too much to ask??? I could probably figure out to do it myself but it would take me an hour and there's no way I would do as good a job.

I should really be a-coma. Oh, well...

Awww thanks mscha! Now you can-a com-a :)

ETA:
Not much to report, but newpage links have been added to each page.
I kind of have no time to do much in terms of new features/improvements at the moment. The data update takes me around 0.3-0.5np and I only get about 0.5-0.7np per dix to work on this stuff at all. I'm thinking of temporarily reducing my data updates from dix to wix for the short term so I can focus on automation/improvements/new stuff. Would anyone have any serious objection to this?
Last edited by Kieryn on Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu May 30, 2013 2:28 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:A very sad and lonely post...

Edit: This post would have to be at the bottom of the page. Image

Eeyore is the saddest, I love him. Sorry for no responses. It was a nice cake. I saw the one vid...didn't get it. I saw beginning of second, too sleepy to listen. I've seen the number guy before...usually don't have enough enthusiasm to see where he's going with it.

I mean, congrats on 400! (I only noticed my 404 and while back, it's a rounder number. ;))

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Not much to report, but newpage links have been added to each page.
I kind of have no time to do much in terms of new features/improvements at the moment. The data update takes me around 0.3-0.5np and I only get about 0.5-0.7np per dix to work on this stuff at all. I'm thinking of temporarily reducing my data updates from dix to wix for the short term so I can focus on automation/improvements/new stuff. Would anyone have any serious objection to this?

Not at all! Sounds like a worthwhile time investment. Just always remember to consult this chart when you spend time to save time on a process. ;) According to its wisdom, if you save even 0.00833 np (i.e. [heresy]30 seconds[/heresy]) per dix through your furthering of automation, then it is worth spending 12 full np on that automation (assuming you plan to do the task once per dix for the next 5 yix)!

Spoiler:
Btw, for anyone that cares, my last post (the ONG) was my last 2-digit prime numbered post.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 30, 2013 2:49 am UTC

mscha wrote: Well, obviously, we meet at the beach, once we figure out where it is (whether Madagascar, Molpygascar, Cassini Madagascar or elsewhere), at the time the OTC takes place (which we hardly had any hits for – yet – but given the Molpyberries and grapes (or whatever they're called now), it's probably autumn).

So how does one get to Cassini Madagascar? I've been assuming that's a fictional place, right? Haven't had time to google Cassini geography yet.

SBN wrote: Reminds me of how body temperature became 98.6F. <snip> My daughter is feverish well below 98.6. When she was born they tried for hours to warm her up, and couldn't do it. They did finally give up, but even so, if I called the doctor, I had to say things like, "She's three degrees above normal."

My stepson's daughter runs a few degrees warmer than my birth children and their babies. It took us months to figure out why I always thought she was feverish :|

charlie_grumbles wrote: That reminds me of a story.
Spoiler:
[story]It turns out that in a remote tribe in some remote country wives were known as squaws (I have to be careful here to avoid racist overtones, I know). A young gentleman wanted to marry so he goes to another man who has three unmarried daughters. Each of them is sitting on the hide of an animal. One on the hide of a polar bear, one on the hide of a moply (of course) and one on the hide of a hippopotamus.

In this culture there is a bride price, so the man asks the father of the daughters what is the bride price of each. The first daughter has a bride price of 1000 shells. The second 2000 shells and the third 3000. So it is true that the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.[/story]

My father loved shaggy dogs (long, involved stories ending in {usually dreadful} puns.) When he heard a new one he would ponder it for days, until he had sculpted it into the most wondrously perfect form he could achieve. I remember the punch line to one was ‘The man was charged with transporting Myna gulls over staid lions for immortal porpoises’ and if the puns in that sentence don't make sense to you, just be thankful. He also loved mathematics, so this was one of his favorite stories of them all.

May I consider you as an adopted brother? You don't have to look at any pictures of babies, just throw an occasional mathematical pun out there and know it's appreciated.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Thu May 30, 2013 2:51 am UTC

(click!)

Dracomax wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Dracomax wrote:I said no! Thisburn is the fate of any who bring flames in here:
Spoiler:

Any questions?

burnNot acting as inquisitor here, acting as grumpy dragon.

Yer on, kid. Take it away, Fluffy.

Sigh. DO not argue with wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Do not argue with dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

DOn't start a burning contest with dragons, for they are old masters of the art, and know the ever-changing names of flame and wind.
Spoiler:

Also, I'm pretty sure there are more pictures of dragons breathing fire than pictures of fluffy...

Whatever you do, don't try to throw fire at the Sea...
You may end up drowned in mid-air.
Spoiler:

Valarya wrote:Whew. 6 days in the Outside and 30+ NPs to condiment, but I did it.

So.. hey guys. :)

(◕‿◕)

TheMinim wrote:Cookies, anyone?
Spoiler:

ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu May 30, 2013 3:04 am UTC

ONGward and upward they go...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Blitz progress: 608 of 742
Still Walking AlONG, np 1315

I interrupt this slowly progressing needle-pulled thing to bring you a very quick signpost, on the same NewPage as my prior one. (sorry bout it...)

I received a swift response to my previous signpost!
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

How's this?
(From my inbox, in case you didn't realize that already) I sent the reply to him directly through a PM, but I figured I'd share on here as well:
macraw83 wrote:It's PERFECT! I really like how you got the transition to work, how it looks like it just sucks the buffydashery image down to the Boom de Yada version's size and everything. Even after opening it in GIMP it's all a bunch of hocus pocus to me as to how you did it (admittedly, I have extremely little experience with image manipulation, I only use GIMP to convert existing animations into GIF-form, and my only other experience is simple pixel-wise operations done in various languages)

Thanks a bunch!

I have only read one NP since my previous signpost, and as such I only have one post to reply to, which is below.

My brain hurts after this one:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:My first post has already been thrust into the Future in the Past so I won't do that again. Instead, I'll summarize it:
"Future" azule as "Past" azule wrote:We should commit a felony because the future is too hard to wait for. While we're forced to wait we might as well cure cancer, people. Oh, what the hell, might as well wait and enjoy ourselves too. Now who's got some ice cream for my head? buffygirl, I didn't even know you back then, but I didn't mean it like that. Right on my head you put it! I meant my face, of course. :roll:

:mrgreen:
Let me try to work this one out. Your Future self, which was really your Present self at the time you wrote this, summarized your Past self's first post. And now that I'm reading it, it is deep into your Past once again. So, your Past self is summarizing your Past self's further Past self's post as that further Past self's Future self, as read by my Present self, who is mired deep into your Past in your Past self's Future Present self. Is that about right?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
mscha wrote: Well, obviously, we meet at the beach, once we figure out where it is (whether Madagascar, Molpygascar, Cassini Madagascar or elsewhere), at the time the OTC takes place (which we hardly had any hits for – yet – but given the Molpyberries and grapes (or whatever they're called now), it's probably autumn).

So how does one get to Cassini Madagascar? I've been assuming that's a fictional place, right? Haven't had time to google Cassini geography yet...

Cassini geography is a reference to this what-if, also written by GLR. The idea started with Qalyar here, then in in more detail.
The end is always near.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 am UTC

Maple Bacon Flavored Ground Coffee 1 lb. Bag

Just sayin' ...

I think this has been referenced before, but it appeared in my inbox.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 am UTC

I was rereading the Cassini what-if, and I was struck by this line:

Randall Munroe wrote:To explain, let’s consider one more scenario. Namely, what if this change were made on our Earth, over a fairly short time?

We’re assuming that all the material is magically shifted around, so there are no massive tsunamis or earthquakes. Even so, it would definitely still be a catastrophe. For starters, the ice caps would melt long before new ones could develop, pushing the ocean up by a few hundred feet.
Last edited by mathrec on Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The end is always near.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:partingLance Said he was waiting for the ONG, so here it is...

kenmelken wrote:ONGward and upward they go...

That small step to the right of the middle of the first frame looks like it could be exposed rock, and the rough 1-Cue wall with the smaller step above it does, too.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Is there some kind of queue or mob for people requesting animated avatars? If so, I'd like to join such a group, as I'm not wholely satisfied with my current effort of sticking BlitzGirl's "small" bubble from the boomdeyadda onto my buffygirlhaberdashery avatar.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Awww is this our first official unofficial OTT couple? All the love on this thread is inspiring. Let's take a quick look at our past in-thread potential relationship statuses:

Valarya Image newpixbot
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:I want to marry newpixbot.

Not only do I love the newpixbot, but I love the molpy hunter, too! molpies and pixbots and mscha's oh my. 8-)

So, mscha.. since I buttered you up real nice there, think you could make me a cool morphy .gif, too? :mrgreen: I did a regular gif, but I like how yours are .... well, morphy-like. *wiggles around in excitement*

buffygirl wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Time Raptor

Spoiler:
TIME LORD RANDALL
presents
IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE ONE TRUE THREAD
A HAL9000 PRODUCTION SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - ZOË SALDANA "TIME RAPTOR" SAM NEILL
MUSIC BY YAPPOBISCUITS PRODUCED BY MSCHA WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY TIME LORD RANDALL
NO ANIMALS WERE HARMED DURING THE FILMING OF THIS EPISODE. BUT THE MOLPYSNAKES GOT HUNGRY TRIED TO EAT THE MOLPYSQUIRREL.
R [RESTRICTED: Under 17 requires accompanying parent oder adult guardian]

Can I make the hats? There will be hats, right? Right???

Loads of hats. And cupcakes! oh my god Randall. Maybe we should combine efforts and make cupcake hats..

azule wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

yayay a recursive cupcake. I so need a cupcake on my cupcake. *famished*

everyone needs cupcakes on their cupcakes. and squirpies need treats, too!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu May 30, 2013 3:42 am UTC

mathrec wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:So how does one get to Cassini Madagascar? I've been assuming that's a fictional place, right? Haven't had time to google Cassini geography yet...

Cassini geography is a reference to this what-if, also written by GLR. The idea started with Qalyar here, then in in more detail.

Thank you! I knew it sounded familiar but couldn't place it.

mathrec wrote: Randall Munroe wrote:
To explain, let’s consider one more scenario. Namely, what if this change were made on our Earth, over a fairly short time?

We’re assuming that all the material is magically shifted around, so there are no massive tsunamis or earthquakes. Even so, it would definitely still be a catastrophe. For starters, the ice caps would melt long before new ones could develop, pushing the ocean up by a few hundred feet.

Holy cow. I mean, holy crow. I, uh, let's just go with ‘Wow.’

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”