1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" 17 Year Molpys

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now. Here are the holes the come out of (which they create).
DSC04896.JPG
Holes. 4" wooden pin for scale

This is the wee beastie after emergence.
DSC04845.jpg
17 Year Cicada

And here is the empty hulk after molting. This is all before they start to sing.
DSC04903.JPG
Husk

Enjoy. Sorry it couldn't be spiders tho.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

ergman wrote:That's an interesting plant. What does one search with when trying to find the name of an interesting plant?
Edit: Plant Pope! I demandp our royal plantologists do a plant-scan and figure out this guy and his implications!

ppretty please :mrgreen:

Google Image search: madagascar frond shows some potential.

ETA (oh Charlie Grumbles, you are making me homesick!)
Last edited by ggh on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:more vegetatiONG

That's an interesting plant. What does one search with when trying to find the name of an interesting plant?
Edit: Plant Pope! I demandp our royal plantologists do a plant-scan and figure out this guy and his implications!

ppretty please :mrgreen:

Actually looks a lot like some of the plants people were posting as suggestions for what the last leafy bush-tree (neat) was.

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now.

You have my sympathy. We were visited by them in the Chicago area a few [heretic] years [/heretic] ago. After several wips of them being everywhere all the time you don't even try to avoid stepping on them. What a sucky life...17 years sleeping underground, come out to mate and then die.
Last edited by fatness on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:As for the snake, I'm inclined to agree, anabatica, that GLR does not spend the Time we do on analyzing the flora and fauna of a specific location.
Of course, he doesn't have to. He started with the answer. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

@Charlie - that's a cicada! :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...

Bridges for sale. Bridges for sale.
Step right up, gettcher bridges.
Cheep too.

Hmmm. Kid, you bin had.

Buy one bridge and we'll brightness-enhance it for you for free. Honest. No rly.

Does it count as having been had if I'm already questioning it? :P

But, you're right, he got me good. I'm just confused what bridges have to do with it?

Actually, no, I won't count it against you . It was just the old expressing their superiority crotchety-ness over the young. Get used to it. (i.e. get used to mostly ignoring it.)

Dam' if I give away too may old geezer secrets I'll be voted off the porch. Mum's the word, eh?

edit: spell'n 'n punct'n
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

The plant sort of looks like a fan palm (a little one) but I'm not going to try to outright identify it because my knowledge of flora is even more riverish than my knowledge of fauna*.

*which is already pretty riverish
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:@Charlie - that's a cicada! :P

Hmmm. Did I noo say that? Or doo ya mean cicada! rather than just ordinary cicada :?:

Or didja really mean cicada!!!!! :?:

Confusin' to the old feller here.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now. Here are the holes the come out of (which they create).
DSC04896.JPG

This is the wee beastie after emergence.
DSC04845.jpg

And here is the empty hulk after molting. This is all before they start to sing.
DSC04903.JPG

Enjoy. Sorry it couldn't be spiders tho.

I really wish I were able to visit the east coast right now; I simply love cicadas. I hope to experience a brood emerging (there's a bunch of different broods, all with different regions and years) at least once in my lifetime. It seems like it would be interesting, and at least a little entertaining (earlier on, that is. Before the dead start piling up :cry: ).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

ImageImageImage

mscha wrote:
ggh wrote:I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

AKA: Freakin' neat!

yappobiscuits wrote:Would my Lord of the Rings parody from way back (exactly an outside-month ago, funnily enough) count?
Maybe as Parodic Prose. Maybe in the Parodic Prose & Poetry section.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Ahh! I missed the Attack of the Molpython while a-coma...
Angelastic wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine

I couldn't resist.

Also, it's damn hard to say molpy molpy molpy over and over. Always kept devolving into molpy molpy mlopy moply blobly bobbyblobbylobblybloblflbl... Seriously. Try it. I had to do quite a few takes...

That is so great! I was squeeing the whole way through. And it says it was inspired by me! I am honoured.

I wonder if the sea is moving around in such a way that a land bridge has formed between Madagascar (where they are, somewhere near the avenue of the Baobabs) and Africa, which the squirrel and snake crossed. Because, of course, of the Cassinisation. Which sounds like the process of adding cassis to a drink. Maybe the location will eventually be pinpointed and we will surreptitiously be commanded to meet up there. I have the XKCD volume 0 book but haven't actually looked at it as much as I should have, so didn't notice it had a location, though I wouldn't have gone to San Francisco for a meetup anyway.

Or maybe this is the distant past, when Madagascar-Antarctica-India was just breaking off from Africa-South America (hence the Seabig doing funny things), and then for some reason Cuegan killed a lot of the species on Madagascar so that they wouldn't be there today. Also, all the 'people' are primitive proto-people, still evolving from the primordial sticks.

fhorn wrote:2not sold except through - Randalldammit, through whom the hell is butter only sold again?

Through ME. And as punishment for forgetting that, I grant you the right to sell negative one (-1) pixel of butter per newpix.

Thanks, ChronosDragon, for the wiki of literature; I was already thinking of asking for one. I had a lot of ketchup to do and kind of skimmed past the first episodes of some of the stories, and having not really read the first episodes, I had to skip the next ones. Some dip when I have more Time I will go back and read them all.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Ahh! I missed the Attack of the Molpython while a-coma...
Angelastic wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushroom

I couldn't resist.

Also, it's damn hard to say molpy molpy molpy over and over. Always kept devolving into molpy molpy mlopy moply blobly bobbyblobbylobblybloblflbl... Seriously. Try it. I had to do quite a few takes...

That is so great! I was squeeing the whole way through. And it says it was inspired by me! I am honoured.

Well you did write the line that comprises the vast majority of the song! ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now.

You have my sympathy. We were visited by them in the Chicago area a few [heretic] years [/heretic] ago. After several wips of them being everywhere all the time you don't even try to avoid stepping on them. What a sucky life...17 years sleeping underground, come out to mate and then die.

So is it better or worse for the ones we have here, which only sleep for 13 years before coming out to mate and then die?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits mentioning 'way back' a bit a-go, made me think of "back, way back" and that made me think of Riddley Walker (by Russell Hoban). It is a good read (and a good re-read as well). It isn't completely unrelated to the OTC, especially for those who have postulated a post-apocalyptic scenario here. It has lots of walking anyway, and lots of riddles.

So many books (ONGs) so little Time.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Or maybe this is the distant past, when Madagascar-Antarctica-India was just breaking off from Africa-South America (hence the Seabig doing funny things), and then for some reason Cuegan killed a lot of the species on Madagascar so that they wouldn't be there today. Also, all the 'people' are primitive proto-people, still evolving from the primordial sticks.

If this were Pangaea, I would expect to see some actual raptorsTM molpying about. (This theory actually did cross my mind at one point, but the animations I've seen of Pangaea have Madagascar buddying up with India instead of Africa for a while.)

TM Not Spielbergian raptors, but real animals like Velociraptor or Deinonychus.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

no comment-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

zerONG (ninja'd)
Spoiler:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Or maybe this is the distant past, when Madagascar-Antarctica-India was just breaking off from Africa-South America (hence the Seabig doing funny things), and then for some reason Cuegan killed a lot of the species on Madagascar so that they wouldn't be there today. Also, all the 'people' are primitive proto-people, still evolving from the primordial sticks.

If this were Pangaea, I would expect to see some actual raptorsTM molpying about. (This theory actually did cross my mind at one point, but the animations I've seen of Pangaea have Madagascar buddying up with India instead of Africa for a while.)

TM Not Spielbergian raptors, but real animals like Velociraptor or Deinonychus.

I just saw a map of Pangea on Facebookf, and I immediately started looking for Madagascar. It's just as plausible a setting as Cassini earth, or post apocalyptic Madagascar.

fon IFLS, a page that frequently posts xkcd Othercomics. It's all connected!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

But no dinosaurs? I can't believe that GLR would set the OTC in Pangaea and miss out on the opportunity to include the ancestors of our sparrow-raptor.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Yeah, but before that,
<snip><snip><snip><snip>
<snipity>
<snip><snip><snip>
deleted.

Holy mother of Randall. That was awesome. Just freakin' awesome. You go, girl.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Yeah, but before that,
<snip><snip><snip><snip>
<snipity>
<snip><snip><snip>
deleted.

Holy mother of Randall. That was awesome. Just freakin' awesome. You go, girl.
Thanks. :D I will, in fact, go (coma).
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:00 am UTC

WavONG fronds?
or spines?
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:WavONG fronds?
or spines?

Well, they did say the wind was pretty mighty up in the mountains, and the terrain is certainly looking more mountainous!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 am UTC

No one's postONG....
If it wasn't for ChronosDragon, I'd have a double post with two ONGs.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:06 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:No one's postONG....

If it wasn't for ChronosDragon, I'd have a double post with two ONGs.

Maybe everyone's off researching flora and fauna. (Or maybe they're creating new filks.
I guess I'll wait for them, while I wait for it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I'm not surprised, from where I'm sitting it's 2:14 and I'm awake because there's a computer in front of me that's got info I need to know that's not even Time related.

Fair play?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Yeah, it's wixend. People want us to be social. I'd tell them I am being social, on here, but that doesn't quite fly with those fleshy-types.

But SBN is right, some of us are working on Time-related projects, scripts, and stitches. Should I be pondering another story for y'alls?

Here's some unreplied reviews from my last story (to which I shall now reply):
RobIrr wrote:Love the newpixbot stories..
Thanks. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:heehee, yep, read it and loved it. As if I would pass up any of your prose! :)
Very sweet, thanks.

htom wrote:
azule wrote:
htom wrote:Azule -- Not the story I was thinking it would be, which is excellent writing by you.
At first your statement confused me. I now take it to mean that you probably expected a different direction for the story, either based on my previous "romp" or on my normal posting style. I'll take it as a compliment in some good way. Thanks!

Mood, vocabulary, plot, twist, ... many writers tell the same story over and over, changing only the details. You're much better than they are.
Thanks for the explanation. I am a bit :oops: now.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Hi All,

NewData is available for those curious. Also...

AluisioASG wrote:Well, I claim for myself frame 403 and everything contained herein.

The recursion is some good claiming. Personally, I was going to claim frame 404, but I couldn't find it.

Angelastic wrote:

I couldn't resist.

AWESOME! You Sir, have a gift.
Spoiler:
Your gift:

ggh wrote:I've tried to leave the tribe and go on other journeys, but the light and warmth of the campfire keeps drawing me back. That and the crazy song that says "molpy" until the moo-molpies come home.
I bring three tarot cards from the edge of the woods: the Hanged Bot (v2 with improved edges), the Emperor and the Star.
Spoiler:

Cool! I would love to see myself in one of these someday, though I never fully understood the logic behind my association with the death card...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:53 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:For mathrec

I'll wear it proudly. Thanks for the great manip work!
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:01 am UTC

ISHOULDBECOMAONG...
ETA: Post number 1010, ONG number 102 ...
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:03 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:

I couldn't resist.

AWESOME! You Sir, have a gift.
Spoiler:
Your gift:

Thanks! Yum, molpybadger cake!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
fhorn wrote:2not sold except through - Randalldammit, through whom the hell is butter only sold again?

Through ME. And as punishment for forgetting that, I grant you the right to sell negative one (-1) pixel of butter per newpix.

Aw, really? But it was really late when I wrote that, and I was so tired, and the sun was in my eyes, and the oboe was sharp, and my glove was too tight, and he started it, and my friends' Angelastics don't make them do that, and you only live once, and the molpy ate my homework..........
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:33 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:ISHOULDBECOMAONG...
ETA: Post number 1010, ONG number 102 ...

10x posts aren't that significant. For instance, this is my 10467th post!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:38 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Aw, really? But it was really late when I wrote that, and I was so tired, and the sun was in my eyes, and the oboe was sharp, and my glove was too tight, and he started it, and my friends' Angelastics don't make them do that, and you only live once, and the molpy ate my homework..........
Yanno, you just got an awesome gift.... antibutter! Imagine what mischief can now arise!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:
fhorn wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

Yanno, you just got an awesome gift.... antibutter! Imagine what mischief can now arise!

Jose

Won't we need to make antimargarine for our vegan friends? Otherwise it won't be particularly fair. They wouldn't be able to un-butter things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 am UTC

leavONG the frame
ETA that the past 22 hours have only produced 4 NP. Interestingly slow.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:03 am UTC

I had to skim again :-( but at least I caught this bit of creativity from yappobiscuits. Thank you...it's stuck in my head, so I'll thank you now, because I may start cursing you in a little while.
Angelastic wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:...
Angelastic wrote:

I couldn't resist....

I wonder if the sea is moving around in such a way that a land bridge has formed between Madagascar (where they are, somewhere near the avenue of the Baobabs) and Africa, which the squirrel and snake crossed...

Or maybe this is the distant past, when Madagascar-Antarctica-India was just breaking off from Africa-South America (hence the Seabig doing funny things)...

Ah, yes. The Cassinite heresy and alternatives. Well, more about that in a moment. I came upon this while checking for discussion about the Cassinite heresy. I'll have to find the latest installment of the Case of the Little River...
BlitzGirl wrote:Another treeish installment of The Case of the Little River! Bravo! :D And a surprise ending! I will eagerly Wait for the next chapter.

More thoughts on Africa vs. Madagascar
Right now, it seems like the only evidence pointing us to Madagascar is the presence of wowtrees, which are a specific species of baobab (Grandidier's Baobab) that only appears there. Problems arise when trying to apply the movement of the sun in the OTC to the parts of Madagascar where these trees grow - so much so that Qalyar suggested that rotating Madagascar 90 degrees would be the only way to make it fit (the Cassini theory). In addition, Madagascar has no squirpy-squirrels. It also has no snakes with horns ("spikes") over their eyes.

The continent of Africa, on the other hand, has squirpy-squirrels. It has horned snakes. It has the Calabar python, which fits Cueball's description very well. It has an east-west coast along the Gulf of Guinea that might better suit the sun-movement in the OTC. The one major sticking point is the lack of wowtrees, though there is another species of baobab common throughout Africa.

A new, very OTT-centric theory: GLR (or more likely, spies of GLR) report to him that the OTT is wild about Madagascar as the location for the OTC, based on the wowtrees. Randall did not intend for the location of the OTC to be Madagascar, but how to correct us? The solution: inserting the molpysnakeB and having Cuegan discuss its specific looks, betting that we will identify a weird-looking species of snake, and in so doing, figure out that we are not in Madagascar anymore, Toto. This might be a silly theory, but looking at this from a temporal angle, the description of the molpysnakeB is viable as a correction to our speculations. As a ROTOTTer* as well as an Africa-ist, you can see why my mind jumps to this conclusion (wheee!).

Awww... I was a Cassinite heretic. I saw the appearance of the snake just before the Outside pulled me away, but I hadn't seen the description. Now I have to adjust...

I had considered that this might be our world, but not our time...but I think the distant future would be the candidate, not the past. It doesn't even have to be geologically distant, since humans have moved species around. There's still that pesky steam bottle...

I agree that the detailed description of the snake is not just random dialogue. It's another clue, or a message to us: "Stop looking for clues...it's not flippin' Madagascar! Just follow the directions in the alt text." I'm not in the Randall-made-a-mistake-with-the-avenue-of-the-baobabs camp, though. So, I'm starting to agree that this is simply taking place in the Randallverse. Sigh, I was such a devoted Cassinite heretic.

Finally, I searched the forum to see if I could make this comment, but kbookbinder ninja'd me:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Kieryn wrote:blONGtchy
Spoiler:

They see color! :shock:

It's a 3-D Randallverse with color. Now to find that installment of The Case of the Little River
*molpy molpy molpy ... grapevine*
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:06 am UTC

mathrec wrote:I had to skim again :-( but at least I caught this bit of creativity from yappobiscuits. Thank you...it's stuck in my head, so I'll thank you now, because I may start cursing you in a little while.
*molpy molpy molpy ... grapevine*

*diabolical laughter* :D
HAL9000 wrote:ETA that the past 22 hours have only produced 4 NP. Interestingly slow.

Hroom, no need to be hasty, young hobbit supercomputer. Hrum, hoom.

ETA: Oh, I'm the yappopebiscuits.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”