1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:07 am UTC

mathrec wrote:It's a 3-D Randallverse with color.

African biome (but probably not actual Africa) is pretty much confirmed at this point, don't forget that.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:13 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:leavONG the frame
Spoiler:

ETA that the past 22 hours have only produced 4 NP. Interestingly slow.

Well, after the snake incident, the OTC has gone back to just them walking and that one frondy plant.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:22 am UTC

slinches wrote:
moody7277 wrote:New ONG, new scene
Spoiler:

This new scene seems a bit anticlimactic after the last one with ledge climing and sneaky molpy-snakes. Not much opportunity for excitement here unless a mole-molpy or giant-trapdoor-spider-molpy suddenly appears.

Did you say giant trap door spider? You did! I re-read it. It is, indeed, all related! For why else would you suggest such a thing were it not for the fact that just yesterday, I had read, for the first time, Ray Bradbury's "The Finnegan." It is all related/connected.

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord
Spoiler:
Chapter 1 - 2

The door to the throne room opens, and the light from the hallway reveals the shadowy frame of a servant. The Dark Lord stirs from his contemplative silence and sits up.

The servant bows. "Your Majesty," he says, "the General is here to see you, along with the Head Astrologer and one one of the Molpies."

"Let them in," says the Dark Lord, his voice as deep as the Sea¹.

The servant bows and exits, then returns with the General, the Head Astrologer, and the Molpy. The General and the Molpy bow to the Dark Lord. The Astrologer does not, but continues walking forward. He is an old man, with a gray beard growing down to his feet. He is dressed in a black robe decorated with white stars. He stops just a few feet from the Dark Lord's throne and begins speaking in a scratchy voice.

"Your Majesty," he says, "the signs in the sky indicate the presence of a Thread on the Outside. The people of this Thread are watching the Inside through a form of Window known as a Comic."

"What of it?" says the Dark Lord. "We are always being watched -- by the Randall, and others on the Outside."

"The signs indicate great dedication on their part to watching," says the Head Astrologer. "They are present on this Thread more often, and in greater numbers, than other Threads. And among them are very powerful beings -- the signs indicate no less than two Dragons, and a Phoenix, among others. And..." The Astrologer's voice trails off.

"And what?" says the Dark Lord, his voice deeper than the Sea¹.

"And one of the Valar, Your Majesty," says the Astrologer. "And the signs indicate that this Vala carries Cup-cakes."

"Still, what of it?" says the Dark Lord. "We are always being watched from the Outside; how is this different?"

"It would not be good for us to be pelted with Cup-cakes from the Outside," says the Astrologer.

"I see," says the Dark Lord. "Dismissed."

The Astrologer turns and walks in a dignified manner from the throne room.

"What else have you to report?" the Dark Lord says to the General.

"This Molpy brings news from the Megball, Your Majesty," says the General.

"What news, Molpy?" says the Dark Lord.

This Molpy, unlike the other one, shows no fear at being in the presence of the Dark Lord, but saunters forward, makes a quick bow, and begins speaking.

"Your Majesty," she says, "The Megball have found the other River³. They followed it for a distance, then turned away and crossed the Dunes. When I left, they were resting under a Tree4."

"And has my Amoeba been successful at eating their brains?" says the Dark Lord.

"It has invaded one of their brains," says the Molpy, "but it's very slow. Personally, I think you should get some more efficient employees."

The General seems shocked that any would dare speak to the Dark Lord in that manner, but the Dark Lord is amused at the Molpy's sauciness.

"I will consider that," he says, his voice like the roar of the Sea¹. "Is there anything else, Molpy?"

"That's all," she says.

"Return to the Megball and the other Molpies, then," says the Dark Lord. "Dismissed."

The Molpy turns and exits the throne room.

"Is there anything else, General?" says the Dark Lord.

"We haven't been able to find out anything about LaPetite, Your Majesty," says the General.

"What have you done?" says the Dark Lord.

"We sent spies to the People in the Tents and the People in the Hills, Your Majesty," says the General.

"And?" says the Dark Lord.

"We have not been able to find if she came from either of those peoples, Your Majesty," says the General.

"I see," says the Dark Lord. He sits in silence for a while, thinking.

"LaPetite," he mutters, "She will be trouble. And with the reports of what she is doing at the Castle of the Megball... She will be trouble."

"What should we do about her, Your Majesty?" says the General. "Should we attack her at the Castle and slay her?"

"Nay," says the Dark Lord, "We cannot risk incurring the wrath of the Valar, especially one with Cup-cakes." He sits in contemplation for another while.

Then he sits up and speaks again.

"But," he says, "we must find out about her. General!"

"Yes, Your Majesty?" says the General.

"Attack the Castle of the Megball," says the Dark Lord, "with fifty Molpies and ten Sparrow-raptors. Do not harm LaPetite, but bring her to me for questioning."

The General grins. "Yes, Your Majesty!"

"I repeat: do not harm her," says the Dark Lord.

"Yes, Your Majesty, I understand," says the General. He fingers the hilt of his sword, eager to be off to battle.

The Dark Lord keeps the General waiting for a few moments. Then he waves his black-gloved hand. "Dismissed."

The General turns and marches out the door.

The Dark Lord sits back and returns to contemplating. He will find out what this LaPetite is planning.

¹ big
² small
³ neat, and bigger than the other River², but still smaller than the Sea¹
4 neat

What is to happen to LaPetite!? The tension mounts!

Vytron wrote:
TheMinim wrote:AND I'M CAUGHT UP!!!!!!!!

*over-enthusiatic about getting to the present even though needs to read some more Past*

Yay!! Minim! YOU. DID. IT!

It was long time ago, but I've brought some donuts so we never forget about Minim's arrival!
Spoiler:

Ooh donuts. Am I too late for donuts? Hm...do donuts go well with a Londoner? It has Pimm's No1 and Vodka in it. That goes with donuts, yes?

ChronosDragon wrote:I've updated the Wiki page for Time literature...
Spoiler:
with the latest installments of my story, a link to ucim's dedicated Acts of the Clerics page, and a couple links to the Dark Lord installments. Any significant stories it's missing? And is anyone collecting the vast amounts of poetry created here?

I think that I shall have to begin utilizing workplace resources for printing out Time literature. Perhaps I may even bind them together into a Book of Time.

LankieBlonde wrote:Hi!!!
Spoiler:
I thought that I would check-in with an update. I've made it to pg.77 so far. Long way to go still. This is fun!!!

Akion wrote:I'm the real heretic here, because I honestly think there was never an "age of the slow pixel"...
Imho that part was only a dramatic stop, a simple admiration of the castle, and those few missing pixels were only either image compression artifacts (though given that the images are png it's pretty odd), or just an indication for the crowd that it's not over yet, wait for it...

I must agree here. This was a moment in which it was just a impressive castle for all to admire before moving on with the plot.

KarMann wrote: [snip]
Give me that old Time religion,
It's good enough for me!

Rotflol!!! :lol:

Eliram wrote:I really hope the Game of Thrones theory is not true.
It's not that I would mind a direct and amusing comic about the new season, even if it's a financed one. But a commercial teaser this long without us knowing it's a commercial, would be annoying.
So I'm hoping this one is about a day at the beach, a friendly sandcastle competition and maybe a mathematical calculation about the number of grains of sand that were not harmed during the making of this comic.

TeeHeeHee... If ever there are 'ending credits' to the OTC, I am going to lose it if I see "No grains of sand were harmed during the making of this comic." :D Thank you for that funny thought. I'm going to have a happy day today.

Ok. I'm off to continue my journey of 760 Newpages.
Bye :D

OMFLR!? You are blitzing...from the beginning of Time? Amazing!! Best of luck to you! And thanks for saying hi from the past. See you in the present in the future!

BlitzGirl wrote:
anabatica wrote:Calabar python doesn't fit, habitat is wrong. It lives in rainforests. They are not in a rainforest. (that said, I'm an Africaist too and I think we've just got the snake identification wrong)

I still think Calabar is the best fit.
Spoiler:
Yes, Wikipedia says they live in rainforests, but if you check the citation for that sentence, it directs to a book published in 1987. In fact, it looks like most of the article is taken from that book, Living Snakes of the World in Color. You know a source might be a little outdated when it has the phrase In Color in its title. :wink: I did a little roundup of some sources of my own, and most tend to say that yes, Calabars like the rainforest, but they may also be found in other areas:

"It has been found in rocky secondary forest and overgrown plantations with dense undergrowth." [1]
"West and Central Africa is home to a strange little snake, the Calabar Ground Boa (or is it a python?), which inhabits rainforests and plantations." [3]
"They are found in Africa and make their home in rocky forests or areas with thick vegetation." [2]

So I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a Calabar python could be found in the area Cuegan is currently traversing, either under the "overgrown plantation" or "rocky forest" habitat.
Oh, and this one is the best, emphasis mine:

"The Calabar burrowing python (Charina [Calabaria] reinhardtii) or "boa," as perhaps it should now be called, is a commonly encountered species in tropical rain forest and cultivated areas in western Africa. Known for its habit of rolling into a defensive ball, this inoffensive burrowing species is believed to cause young women to become pregnant, according to a Cameroon myth (Lawson, 1993)." [4]

Perhaps Jabberwalky should be revised to "the snakebees that seek your snatch"? :wink:
What can I say, I love me some splotchy brown snake that might get me pregnant.
All together now: THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!

I'm really with BlitzGirl on the Calabar Molpython. But they're not in Africa. Or Madagascar :)

anabatica wrote:
Spoiler:
Secondary forests are ones which are growing back after some disturbance e.g. forest fire. They are still densely vegetated and forest-like, just with younger trees. Overgrown plantations would likewise have a much higher density of vegetation than we see. They seem to be in a savanna-type environment and you're not going to find evidence of Calabars living there...

I almost don't dare suggest this, but maybe ecology isn't Randall's strong point, so he drew the wrong kind of baobab and put a snake outside of its habitat range?
Spoiler:
There are places where rainforest and savanna aren't far apart (including along the Guinea Coast which has been speculated before as a potential location) so if you google "snakes of [location]" (and "trees of [location]") and ignore habitat requirements you could be misled fairly easily...

For location, I'm leaning Volta River, with them coming from the area west of the Volta in the Dahomey Gap which is quite dry. The geography doesn't match up exactly (and there's a rather large missing lagoon) but superficial features like that change from century to century...

Where is Dracomax? It would appear to me that someone here need be placed in the foam maiden! The comfy chair is too good for you, would-be heretic. The GLR has no weak points, only strong points! If he appears to err it is because his will is ineffable and we may not be entirely capable of understanding all that the Creator of Time does. It is for this reason that I am a Randallversian. Time is his world and if he shall have a Calabar Molpython [for obviously that is what it is ;)] appear in Time in a habitat that one may not find a Calabar Python in the [heretical] Outside [/heretical], then so be it, for that is his will. Now where is Dracomax? You are in so much trouble. Just wait until Dracomax shows up with his day-old M&Ms (you cannot have mine stashed in the back of the cave). And if you are really unlucky, he may even have skittles! :evil: :)

Hey, where is Hal9000? Perhaps he should know that Dracomax may have cause to unleash the rainbow.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:38 am UTC

Poetry & Prose:

I ain't one for poetry, ain't one for prose. Ain't one for the scent of a molpberry rose.
But there is one fact that I do know, I sure get a kick out of that Megan and Cueball show.

Other day I'm on xkcd, and guess what I do see?
Two crazy-ass cartoon sunsabitches staring out on the sea.
Said, "What the hell's this", and fhorn said, "Boy, don't you know?"
The whole world's gone crazy over that there Megan and Cueball show.
Spoiler:
Talk about going swimmin', now I could go for that.
I wouldn't like it inside my mouth, I'd be inclined to use a mask!
On comedy, I'm a Simpsons man. I like Homer, Bart and Moe.
But now and then a get a chuckle watchin' the Megan and Cueball show.

Copernicium112, now there's a helluva name.
Its got that unrhymable sound for which no word is near the same.
Ain't no yappobiscuits, now that guy's cool with me.
If I had my way YouTube'd be just him and xkcd.

I ain't nothing special, I'm your average stick-legged man.
I like a Valarya cupcake and I eat 'em by the hand!
I don't give a raptor's ass about poetry and not a damn 'bout prose.
I sure get a kick outta them Megan and Cueball shows.

Cueball: "Hey Megan..."
Megan: "What?"
Cueball: "I was just like...thinking and stuff...it was pretty cool."
Megan: "Yeah."

Megan: "This tree is neat..."
Cueball: "Yeah, yeah, neat tree....it's treeish! Yeah..."

Cueball: "Hey Megan...I heard that there was, like, 500 campers here. That would've been cool."
Megan: "Really? That would have been cool."
Cueball: "You know what would be really cool, though? If like, one of the them brought us some food."
Megan: "Yeah, but, like, if one of them brought food, why would we need the other...um...three hundred and twenty-seven?"

Megan: "What are you doing?"
Cueball: "Making shapes with my shadow!"
Megan: "When I stare down at mine for long enough while I walk, it starts to look really weird."
Cueball: "Yeah."

If someone knows the song and wants to refilk this, please do. I didn't change enough (probably) and probably didn't capture what feeling could have been captured. *shrug*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:42 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: Oh, I'm the yappopebiscuits.

So are yappope biscuits symbolic of the body of GLR? Or what?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:46 am UTC

azule wrote:Poetry & Prose:

Spoiler:
I ain't one for poetry, ain't one for prose. Ain't one for the scent of a molpberry rose.
But there is one fact that I do know, I sure get a kick out of that Megan and Cueball show.

Talk about going swimmin', now I could go for that.

Cueball: "Hey Megan...I heard that there was, like, 500 campers here. That would've been cool."
Cueball: "You know what would be really cool, though? If like, one of the them brought us some food."
Megan: "Yeah, but, like, if one of them brought food, why would we need the other...um...three hundred and twenty-seven?"
Megan: "When I stare down at mine for long enough while I walk, it starts to look really weird."

If someone knows the song and wants to refilk this, please do. I didn't change enough (probably) and probably didn't capture what feeling could have been captured. *shrug*

I don't know what that's based on, but that was so much fun!
spamjam wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:ETA: Oh, I'm the yappopebiscuits.

So are yappope biscuits symbolic of the body of GLR? Or what?

Spoiler:

Teehee! Yes I suppose they are. Get'cha yappope biscuits here, only while the newpage lasts!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:52 am UTC

azule wrote:Poetry & Prose:

Spoiler:

[spoiler]Talk about going swimmin', now I could go for that.

Wow. 'Tis been a long long time since I have heard that song, or anything by Primus, for that matter. I think you did a wonderful job! I laughed :)

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:55 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:leavONG the frame
Spoiler:

ETA that the past 22 hours have only produced 4 NP. Interestingly slow.

Well, after the snake incident, the OTC has gone back to just them walking and that one frondy plant.

And not a pixel of molpy activity in this shot.

Coma time─not even waiting for the ONG. Be sure to shake the molpysnakes out of your boots next xip! Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are!
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 am UTC

MOLPYLONGING

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Act 1 Scene 9
stage manager's copy
notations from the first theatrical production, at the Riviersh Theater by the Big

At rise: A campground in the late morning, with the evidence of a huge party scattered about. The trunk of a huge tree upstage left, with the inscription "Vytron was here". Hills in the background. -- hills USR Various clerics and scribes and timewaiters walking around getting ready for the day, a little groggy from the previous nights celebration. The Holy Catographer, edfel, is walking with the fourth scribe. -- USR to DSC. Holy Catographer in flowing green robes with gold embroidered border.
edfel wrote:The second scribe has it. She asked for it last night, and I was too tired to remember.
fourth scribe wrote:Don't worry about it. Someone as Meowjestic as you has far too much on your mind to be expected to remember such trivialities.
edfel wrote:Oh, don't go all humble again. I'll get you the map. It needs updating anyway.
The fourth cleric enters, running. -- from beyond the USL tree
fourth cleric wrote:Did you hear? There's another BlitzGirl!
-- they all stop center stage.
fourth scribe wrote:Duh! Why do you think I have this hangover!
fourth cleric wrote:No, really! Wake the Pope - we're going to have to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Vytron was just cannonized! Where were you? Swapped out?
fourth cleric wrote:No, not Vytron.
edfel wrote:Yes, Vytron. Who do you think was up there on stage with his foot stuck?
fourth cleric wrote:Ok, don't believe me. Where's the Pope?
The first scribe enters, running. -- from USR
first scribe wrote:The Pope is missing!
fourth scribe wrote:Wha... are you sure? How do you know?
first scribe wrote:The second scribe is missing too.
fourth cleric wrote:What do you mean... "missing"?
fourth scribe wrote:Missing - as in "not here"...as in "gone"...as in "your brain".
edfel wrote:She can't have gone. She has my map!
The First Cleric enters, and a crowd, which includes several heralds, begins to gather. -- FC enters USL in his choo-choo train pajamas
First Cleric wrote:What's this I hear about another BlitzGirl?
Spoiler:
The fourth scribe addresses edfel
fourth scribe wrote:That's what I was trying to tell you, your Meowjesty! And it's another cat!
first scribe wrote:Impossible!
fourth scribe wrote:He is here. Or maybe she. How do you sex a cat anyway?
first herald wrote:The fourth scribe wants sex with a cat?
The first herald blows his ram's horn.
first herald wrote:Hear ye, hear ye!--
fourth scribe wrote:No, not me.
first herald wrote:But you just said --
First Cleric wrote:Nobody wants to have sex with a cat.
edfel casts a look at the First Cleric.
First Cleric wrote:No offence, your Meowjesty.
edfel wrote:I would like to meet this...What is his name?
fourth scribe wrote:I've heard him referred to as CasCat, and rumor has it that he's a her.
first scribe wrote:It's still impossible. I've studied all the scrolls. Nobody can Blitz the whole of Time that fast. There'd be evidence.
third scribe wrote:What a Holy Contradiction that would be!
Upon realizing the meaning of this, the first scribe falls to her knees.
first scribe wrote:Dii factum unium verium auctor! Veritrum eis!
First Cleric wrote:Oh, Glory Beesnakes! Call the Pope!
edfel wrote:Have you been listening? There is no Pope!
First Cleric wrote:How could I have been listening? I was asleep.
fourth scribe wrote:You probably still are.
edfel wrote:The Pope and the second scribe are both missing... with my Map. Which needs updating!
fourth cleric wrote:This can only mean bad news
First Cleric wrote:Not for me. Remember what the Pope said a few dix ago? "Your words are to be like my words" or something? I'm Pope of the New Day. Herald - sound the ram's horn! Fetch this cat person! Get my scrolls! We're going to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Scrolls? The First Cleric can't even read a map, let alone decypher the ancient writings.
fourth scribe wrote:I have a bad feeling about this.
The first herald exits. -- USR, towards the hills The First Cleric calls after him.
First Cleric wrote:Where are you going?
first herald wrote:To the hills, to sound the ram's horn.
First Cleric wrote:No, no no! Climb the Great Tree! Proclaim to the World that a new BlitzGirl has arrived!
first herald wrote:From the Highest Hill, yes. But not the Great Tree. Don't you remember the last time I tried?
First Cleric wrote:Yes, but this is a stage set. It's all flat scenery, and it's not even all that high. You can do it.
first herald wrote:Oh, allright.
-- note: need to reinforce the tree. Also, have an understudy for the FH. Also, move the tree further away from the orchestra pit.
-- note: Kettledrums are very expensive!

The first herald sounds the ram's horn. The group disperses, and there is a flurry of activity as preparations are made and an impromptu stage is set up for the First Cleric. The Holy Catographer leads CasCat to the foot of the impromptu stage as the First Cleric stands up and says:
First Cleric wrote:We are here to celebrate and commemorate an impossible task, accomplished by someone who cannot possibly be here, but is. And so, I, the First Cleric, by the power granted to me by accident by the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do make and declare the following proclamation:

The scroll please.
The first scribe hands him the scroll. The First Cleric unrolls it and looks at it quizzically. He pauses. He reads, slowly at first, and then with greater confidence.
First Cleric wrote:Molpy.... molpy... molpy molpy molpy...molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!
The crowd begins dancing and chanting
the crowd wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
CasCat looks quizzical herself, but joins in as the tempo picks up:
the crowd, now including CasCat wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
-- Stage manager's note: on opening night the audience picked up the chant, got up out of their seats, and started a huge conga line which proceeded up onto the stage, all singing "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!. Upon reaching the stage, one of the audience members picked up the broken tree trunk and held it up. The crowd shouted, in unison, "wow tree! Wow, it's a tree!" in rhythm with the molpy molpy ground bass and kept the conga line moving backstage and down towards the dressing rooms. The audience continued their dance past dressing rooms A, and B, and when reaching the larger, third room, somebody shouted "C! C is big!". Security was not called until one of the audience members chanted "A snake! It's a snake!" but by then it was too late. The resulting pandemonium was not brought under control for several hours, and the rest of the script for this scene is unfortunately lost.
Jose
<--previous (NP 751) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next (NP 782)-->
Last edited by ucim on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:17 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Another brilliant and hilarious chapter :D

Molpy molpy molpy...

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 am UTC

hello, I'd like to place an order for some yappopebiscuits, some clarified anti-butter, and a few molpancakes.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Act 1 Scene 9
stage manager's copy
notations from the first theatrical production, at the Riviersh Theater by the Big

Ha! Terrific! And I love the addition of the stage directions, makes it all easier to visualize :D

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I don't know what [Poetry & Prose]'s based on, but that was so much fun!
Thanks. It's Primus (as k.bookbinder said (and thanks to you)) from the Beavis & Butthead Experience, hence the dialogue at the end. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:36 am UTC

ergman wrote:hello, I'd like to place an order for some yappopebiscuits, some clarified anti-butter, and a few molpancakes.

Papal cookies for all!
Spoiler:

azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I don't know what [Poetry & Prose]'s based on, but that was so much fun!
Thanks. It's Primus (as k.bookbinder said (and thanks to you)) from the Beavis & Butthead Experience, hence the dialogue at the end. :)

Ahh righto.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:39 am UTC

Bereboka. Why can't I actually find it on a map? Is Bereboka where Steven Chu designed the scroll-lock key?

(Cool, Azule!)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Act 1 Scene 9
stage manager's copy

Spoiler:
At rise: A campground in the late morning, with the evidence of a huge party scattered about. The trunk of a huge tree upstage left, with the inscription "Vytron was here". Hills in the background. -- hills USR Various clerics and scribes and timewaiters walking around getting ready for the day, a little groggy from the previous nights celebration. The Holy Catographer, edfel, is walking with the fourth scribe. -- USR to DSC. Holy Catographer in flowing green robes with gold embroidered border.
edfel wrote:The second scribe has it. She asked for it last night, and I was too tired to remember."
fourth scribe wrote:Don't worry about it. Someone as Meowjectic as you has far too much on your mind to be expected to remember such trivialities.
edfel wrote:Oh, don't go all humble again. I'll get you the map. It needs updating anyway.
The fourth cleric enters, running. -- from beyond the USL tree
fourth cleric wrote:Did you hear? There's another BlitzGirl!
-- they all stop center stage.
fourth scribe wrote:Duh! Why do you think I have this hangover!
fourth cleric wrote:No, really! Wake the Pope - we're going to have to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Vytron was just cannonized! Where were you? Swapped out?
fourth cleric wrote:No, not Vytron.
edfel wrote:Yes, Vytron. Who do you think was up there on stage with his foot stuck?
fourth cleric wrote:Ok, don't believe me. Where's the Pope?
The first scribe enters, running. -- from USR
first scribe wrote:The Pope is missing!
fourth scribe wrote:Wha... are you sure? How do you know?
first scribe wrote:The second scribe is missing too.
fourth cleric wrote:What do you mean... "missing"?
fourth scribe wrote:Missing - as in "not here"...as in "gone"...as in "your brain".
edfel wrote:She can't have gone. She has my map!
The First Cleric enters, and a crowd, which includes several heralds, begins to gather. -- FC enters USL in his choo-choo train pajamas
First Cleric wrote:What's this I hear about another BlitzGirl?
[spoiler]The fourth scribe addresses edfel
fourth scribe wrote:That's what I was trying to tell you, your Meowjesty! And it's another cat!
first scribe wrote:Impossible!
fourth scribe wrote:He is here. Or maybe she. How do you sex a cat anyway?
first herald wrote:The fourth scribe wants sex with a cat?
The first herald blows his ram's horn.
first herald wrote:Hear ye, hear ye!--
fourth scribe wrote:No, not me.
first herald wrote:But you just said --
First Cleric wrote:Nobody wants to have sex with a cat.
edfel casts a look at the First Cleric.
First Cleric wrote:No offence, your Meowjesty.
edfel wrote:I would like to meet this...What is his name?
fourth scribe wrote:I've heard him referred to as CasCat.
first scribe wrote:It's still impossible. I've studied all the scrolls. Nobody can Blitz the whole of Time that fast. There'd be evidence.
third scribe wrote:What a Holy Contradiction that would be!
Upon realizing the meaning of this, the first scribe falls to her knees.
first scribe wrote:Dii factum unium verium auctor! Veritrum eis!
First Cleric wrote:Oh, Glory Beesnakes! Call the Pope!
edfel wrote:Have you been listening? There is no Pope!
First Cleric wrote:How could I have been listening? I was asleep.
fourth scribe wrote:You probably still are.
edfel wrote:The Pope and the second scribe are both missing... with my Map. Which needs updating!
fourth cleric wrote:This can only mean bad news
First Cleric wrote:Not for me. Remember what the Pope said a few dix ago? "Your words are to be like my words" or something? I'm Pope of the New Day. Herald - sound the ram's horn! Fetch this cat person! Get my scrolls! We're going to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Scrolls? The First Cleric can't even read a map, let alone decypher the ancient writings.
fourth scribe wrote:I have a bad feeling about this.
The first herald exits. -- USR, towards the hills The First Cleric calls after him.
First Cleric wrote:Where are you going?
first herald wrote:To the hills, to sound the ram's horn.
First Cleric wrote:No, no no! Climb the Great Tree! Proclaim to the World that a new BlitzGirl has arrived!
first herald wrote:From the Highest Hill, yes. But not the Great Tree. Don't you remember the last time I tried?
First Cleric wrote:Yes, but this is a stage set. It's all flat scenery, and it's not even all that high. You can do it.
first herald wrote:Oh, allright.
-- note: need to reinforce the tree. Also, have an understudy for the FH. Also, move the tree further away from the orchestra pit.
-- note: Kettledrums are very expensive!

The first herald sounds the ram's horn. The group disperses, and there is a flurry of activity as preparations are made and an impromptu stage is set up for the First Cleric. The Holy Catographer leads CasCat to the foot of the impromptu stage as the First Cleric stands up and says:
First Cleric wrote:We are here to celebrate and commemorate an impossible task, accomplished by someone who cannot possibly be here, but is. And so, I, the First Cleric, by the power granted to me by accident by the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do make and declare the following proclamation:

The scroll please.
The first scribe hands him the scroll. The First Cleric unrolls it and looks at it quizzically. He pauses. He reads, slowly at first, and then with greater confidence.
First Cleric wrote:Molpy.... molpy... molpy molpy molpy...molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!
The crowd begins dancing and chanting
the crowd wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
CasCat looks quizzical himself, but joins in as the tempo picks up:
the crowd, now including CasCat wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
-- Stage manager's note: on opening night the audience picked up the chant, got up out of their seats, and started a huge conga line which proceeded up onto the stage, all singing "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!. Upon reaching the stage, one of the audience members picked up the broken tree trunk and held it up. The crowd shouted, in unison, "wow tree! Wow, it's a tree!" in rhythm with the molpy molpy ground bass and kept the conga line moving backstage and down towards the dressing rooms. The audience continued their dance past dressing rooms A, and B, and when reaching the larger, third room, somebody shouted "C! C is big!". Security was not called until one of the audience members chanted "A snake! It's a snake!" but by then it was too late. The resulting pandemonium was not brought under control for several hours, and the rest of the script for this scene is unfortunately lost.
Jose
<--previous (NP 751) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Awesomeful! (as I have seen used and thoroughly enjoy saying)

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time" 17 Year Molpys

Postby Valarya » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:05 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now.
Enjoy. Sorry it couldn't be spiders tho.

I really wish I were able to visit the east coast right now; I simply love cicadas. I hope to experience a brood emerging (there's a bunch of different broods, all with different regions and years) at least once in my lifetime. It seems like it would be interesting, and at least a little entertaining (earlier on, that is. Before the dead start piling up :cry: ).

Whoops, sorry Charlie (hehe).. I didn't see where you mentioned it being the 17-year emergence. I was just so taken with the Cicada pictures. Why? Because eff cicadas. -_-

HAL, you really don't want to experience it. When the 13 year brood came out around here in 2001-ish, you couldn't even step outside. The ground was covered in live AND dead bugs/shells. The sound was so over-powering and loud it physically hurt. And a short walk from the front door to the car would result in at least 10+ of the clumsy things flapping in to your face. I love some bugs.. but flying ones are NOT the kinds I like.

We even had a small brood here a year or two ago and I couldn't even stop at a red light with my windows rolled down for fear one or two (or more) of those critters would flap right on in. Luckily I haven't seen a single one of this 17-yr brood, yet.

azule wrote:

Wow. I'm going to be extremely embarrassed admitting this, but when I first started reading it, the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air started playing in my head so that's how I read the first few paragraphs/verses. :oops: :mrgreen:
Bravo, azule.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:07 am UTC

MMMMMMMMMMMMOOOO

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:08 am UTC

...ONG?

My favorite scene so far in the Acts of the Clerics!

I think the molpysnakeB must have eaten all the other molpys in the area. I can't find any. :(
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Teehee! Yes I suppose they are. Get'cha yappope biscuits here, only while the newpage lasts!

I was just about to ask whether they come with any butter. But then, I got distracted by a sudden drama taking place (appropriately enough) in a nearby theater, and I'm now taking the side of one of the actors in a heated argument over who should have gotten the larger dressing room. So, I'll have to postpone the buttery buttery biscuits for now. Such is Time.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time" 17 Year Molpys

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:

Wow. I'm going to be extremely embarrassed admitting this, but when I first started reading it, the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air started playing in my head so that's how I read the first few paragraphs/verses. :oops: :mrgreen:
Bravo, azule.

Hehe, that was actually the first thing I thought of too :oops:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:...ONG?

Callback to my previous MOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYONGONGONGONG.
But I didn't want to do a MOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYONGONGONGONG with something tacked on to differentiate it, e.g., MOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYONGONGONGONGREPRISE, or MOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYMOLPYONGONGONGONGTOO, etc.
So I just used first letters. Perhaps a bit ttttttttttttoooo obscure.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Maybe a bit, all I thought was "moo-molpy?" :wink:

Rule110 wrote:I was just about to ask whether they come with any butter. But then, I got distracted by a sudden drama taking place (appropriately enough) in a nearby theater, and I'm now taking the side of one of the actors in a heated argument over who should have gotten the larger dressing room. So, I'll have to postpone the buttery buttery biscuits for now. Such is Time.

The good news is, food doesn't seem to go bad here on the OTT. I just paid a visit to the Present Party thrown for me back in the 440s, and snacked on some delicious waffles!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Gah! I just looked back on a whim, and my Newpage of the Beast post got pushed BACK one and is now at the bottom of 665 :(
A previous post somewhere in the thread must've been deleted for some reason...

sygnathid

Postby sygnathid » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 am UTC

I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It
It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:28 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Gah! I just looked back on a whim, and my Newpage of the Beast post got pushed BACK one and is now at the bottom of 665 :(

Yeah, one of the things that threw me off while blitzing was seeing PFANP posts at the bottom of the previous page, two or three posts back from where they originally were. Hmm, I think that's why I'm not a huge fan of Newpage-Titles, I remember how annoying that was as a reading experience. If I ever top a newpage again I will be an extremely mopey mome.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AK49BWL

Postby AK49BWL » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:29 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:TheMinim and AK49BWL, nice to hear from you! And blitzers, keep in touch!!

Thanks lmjb1964 - It's nice to know I haven't been forgotten back here :) .... Futureposting from NP 622, feeling quite...Behind.

Opiboble, where in Alaska are you, Anchorage or Fairbanks...Or one of those other Alaska places? I'm in the second one. For the next 6 days ~144 Newpix, anyway.... Good to know I'm, in fact, not the only Alaskan here :D

Think I'll start putting my location in my location as have others done.

Bye for now! ~~~~~~*

Re: Post that got posted and made me sit here on the post screen again: The deleted post was a LONG time ago, as there have been a LOT of VMPCs (?) posted two posts BEFORE the NewPage. Only recently (within 10 NP of NewPage 622) did they start being the last post on the page... Still not quite VMPCs lol.

Ninja'd before I could even post! Sigh....
Follower of the One True Comic

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Gah! I just looked back on a whim, and my Newpage of the Beast post got pushed BACK one and is now at the bottom of 665 :(

Yeah, one of the things that threw me off while blitzing was seeing PFANP posts at the bottom of the previous page, two or three posts back from where they originally were. Hmm, I think that's why I'm not a huge fan of Newpage-Titles, I remember how annoying that was as a reading experience. If I ever top a newpage again I will be an extremely mopey mome.

Ho hum. I wasn't aware that could happen (well, I should've known posts could be deleted but didn't think of it). I guess I won't be quite so excited about becoming pope again, I'll also be a mopey pope (or a popey pope? Pomey pope? Hmm...)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:41 am UTC

sygnathid wrote:I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
Spoiler:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It

It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...

This is the future, where all is abbreviated, so our creed would be more compact, and probably fit in haiku form:

All hail GLR
OTA of OTC
We all Wait for it.
Not to mention that there are so many sects and -isms these days that there is no way we would all agree on a standard creed anymore (ni ni molpy molpy grapevine grapevine). But we still remember the Sandcastle fondly! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:56 am UTC

anabatica wrote:
kenmelken wrote:Also, I'm 'bout ready to throw my hat in the ring with BlitzGirl on the African Theory. Makes a lot of sense to me. I have to admit that deep down in my surrealist heart, I've always wanted this to be a fictional Randallverse, but the evidence keeps stacking up that he's deliberately trying to show us specific clues to their whereabouts, and Africa seems to be the best fit right now, especially given how much of a perfect fit the Calabar python is, and the fact that Baobabs DO exist on the continent.

Calabar python doesn't fit, habitat is wrong. It lives in rainforests. They are not in a rainforest.

(that said, I'm an Africaist too and I think we've just got the snake identification wrong)

Along with "where", why isn't there more discussion about "when"?

Catapults weren't invented until 400BC and then possibly not the right type of catapult until the Middle Ages (not sure on this bit). Grape domestication was well before all of that and I can't think of any other possible historical clues.

Post-apocalyptic is also possible of course, but I think we'd have picked up on some references to or evidence of "the before times" or similar.

Just want want to put it in for my posterior posterity that I am a firm Madagascarist, but it's a weird morphed (possibly photoshopped38) (possibly post-apocalyptic) Madagascar.

38Like the weird photoshopped baobob8.
8Probably knows what it's doing.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:09 am UTC

VEXNEWPIXBOTONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Poor newpixbot, he was all ready to go and everything!

Megan, why are you looking at this little shrimp of a bush when there was a great fan-palm a few newpix back you could have ogled?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Doing my quick, one-time-for the day blitz-ketchup-check-in, BLINDPOSTING from 5 NP back...

edfel wrote:
Thanks to our wiki contributors (esp. kenmelken, if I remember correctly), the periods are now well split and documented.
You can now navigate the different "ages" of time:

Note that it is still a work in progress:
- there should be a slide-bar to scroll through the frames of the given, I don't know why it's hidden
- the "wiki" frame is far from being an ideal way to show this, it would be much better to parse the wiki page earlier and integrate the data directly to the site. Anyone with an idea of how to do this is welcome :)
- it should be possible to navigate by keyboard at some point (edit) it is possible to navigate with arrow keys :) (and w to toggle the wiki window)
- also: each view change implies a new wiki request.... for the sake of the wiki, please avoid reloading a thousand times the same period or similar "F5ish" behavior
- I take my data from the one page of the wiki where all eons/eras/periods are listed: the update is not automatic, but I have a script to do it quickly whenever I want.

EDFEL!!!! First of all, I've always loved your map... and now THIS! I LOVE IT SOOOO MUCH!!!! You are great. :) We should be friends.

Now to see how fast I can blitz 5 pages...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:<snip>
So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

That's way more plausible than the notion that a thread would have a monopolist for butter sales (as if...).
There is a story by Michael Moorcock where very smart time travellers from a million years in the future miscalculate and land in the 19th century, expecting to use technology that was invented in the second millennium, get stuck. So these things happen.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:40 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:WavONG fronds?
or spines?

Well, they did say the wind was pretty mighty up in the mountains, and the terrain is certainly looking more mountainous!

The spineyfronds appear to be watching M&C's progress with great interest, while also taking note of where they came from.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:46 am UTC

I went back and looked at my page-topping puzzle. It was at the top of page 576, but it's dropped back four spots. (It was weird looking at that puzzle next to my new hatted avatar.)
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Oh! I noticed this a while back while doing ketchup, except I thought so many newbposts had been made that the page-popes had been pushed down to the bottom of their pages. Which, in retrospect, is probably a bit less likely :P

astrocub

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If I ever top a newpage again I will be an extremely mopey mome.

*eyebrow waggle*

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 am UTC

SPONGEWOOD...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”