1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If I ever top a newpage again I will be an extremely mopey mome.


*eyebrow waggle*

:P
I like your shirt change, that's a great idea!

Because Time seems to be dragging a little, I bring you this post from 600 newpages ago exactly:
Sano wrote:
SBN wrote:
Helper wrote:Lemme guess, repair Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!, right?

Megan looks sad

Well she did start it.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:22 am UTC

mscha wrote:SPONGEWOOD...
Spoiler:
Image

-- posted by newpixbot


Haly carp, seriously newpixbot? You are so smart tonight! Gastonia cutispongia (spongewood) is an endemic species of a French territory on an island east of Madagascar!
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_d%27%C3%A9ponge

Vive La Réunion!!
Last edited by astrocub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikrit » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:26 am UTC

anabatica wrote:Secondary forests are ones which are growing back after some disturbance e.g. forest fire. They are still densely vegetated and forest-like, just with younger trees. Overgrown plantations would likewise have a much higher density of vegetation than we see. They seem to be in a savanna-type environment and you're not going to find evidence of Calabars living there...

But I thought we can only see a 2D slice of their world, so we can only see trees that happen to be in that slice. There could be many more trees in front of or behind the 2D slice.

I expect the Great Lord Randall, in His infinite grace, places the slice so we won't see apparently hovering pieces of canopy (caused by the tree trunk being off-slice), since that would upset us.

Also, isn't selling anti-butter the same as buying butter?
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

User avatar
kenmelken
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:28 am UTC
Location: Svithjod

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:29 am UTC

Kay... that ketchup was extremely quick. Not much convo all the sudden.

Stay cool. Peace out for the night, y'all.

Oh, but first...

@ggh: referencing the Steven Chu - scroll-lock connection made me laugh out loud. That's one of my favorite and most cited Other Comics. Reminds me a lot of Stephen Colbert's Wikiality... which reminds me... thanks to the noble works of Stephen Colbert, the population of African Elephants has TRIPLED in the last 6 months! Wait... African??? IT'S ALL RELATED!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:31 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
anabatica wrote:Secondary forests are ones which are growing back after some disturbance e.g. forest fire. They are still densely vegetated and forest-like, just with younger trees. Overgrown plantations would likewise have a much higher density of vegetation than we see. They seem to be in a savanna-type environment and you're not going to find evidence of Calabars living there...

But I thought we can only see a 2D slice of their world, so we can only see trees that happen to be in that slice. There could be many more trees in front of or behind the 2D slice.

I expect the Great Lord Randall, in His infinite grace, places the slice so we won't see apparently hovering pieces of canopy (caused by the tree trunk being off-slice), since that would upset us.

Also, isn't selling anti-butter the same as buying butter?


Well, we already established that slices contain an indeterminate amount of ground that could easily vary even across the width of the image. I think the idea here is that GLR gives us a slice that displays exactly what he intends it to, and nothing more. We are assured that a complete world exists, but we need only see specific parts of it to understand what he is conveying.
Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:33 am UTC

Aaaugh the blotchy snake thing was a Ramphotyphlops braminus!!!![citation needed]


[citation needed]Wildlife of Réunion

ETA:
Wikipedia wrote:previously Île Bourbon

Well that solves the question of What am I drinking tonight?
Last edited by astrocub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 am UTC

:lol: LaPetite must feel right at home on Réunion, where even the snakes are riverish.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 am UTC

Not surprised that Cueball gets scared off by 6½ inches.

ETA: Please give us more hints, newpixbot. *newpixrobot dance*
Last edited by astrocub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:
Spoiler:
Image

If so, they'd better watch out for molpymites!

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Spoiler:
Image


Aaaaughh noooo! You silenced the newpixbot! You knew that xe knew too much!

You. You are in cahoots with GLR, trying to direct the thread away from the The One True Truth. I knew it all along!

BlitzGirl wrote:I like your shirt change, that's a great idea!

Oh, and thanks! :D You little spy, you :evil:

User avatar
Selcouth
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Selcouth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:15 am UTC

astrocub wrote:Aaaugh the blotchy snake thing was a Ramphotyphlops braminus!!!![citation needed]


[citation needed]Wildlife of Réunion

ETA:
Wikipedia wrote:previously Île Bourbon

Well that solves the question of What am I drinking tonight?


Aaaa you beat me to it, I just found that as well and thought it might be it. But its length is off, proportionally, compared to Megan and Cueball's heights....

And if they're harmless and extremely common, this is kind of proof that they're not familiar with the area as a whole. Perhaps they're on vacation.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

User avatar
mikro2nd
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:52 pm UTC
Location: ɐɔıɹɟɐ

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:16 am UTC

@Anglastic:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I tried to make a flatland connection via Kurt Gödel through Rudy Rucker to AK Dewdney to Flatland but couldn't pull it off satisfactorily.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:@Anglastic:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I tried to make a flatland connection via Kurt Gödel through Rudy Rucker to AK Dewdney to Flatland but couldn't pull it off satisfactorily.


Incidentally, Waiting for Gödel is one of my favorite Christopher Guest movies :P
And yay for Gödel now being referenced (at least) twice in the OTT. Please, un four à micro2ndes, make it trois!
Last edited by astrocub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:21 am UTC

astrocub wrote:Aaaaughh noooo! You silenced the newpixbot! You knew that xe knew too much!

You. You are in cahoots with GLR, trying to direct the thread away from the The One True Truth. I knew it all along! <snip>

I'm innocent, I tell you! I deny everything! LaPetite, silencing newpixbot, everything! I'm just a humble blitzer, enjoying the OTC with the rest of you! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Image

They passed a "thirsty bird" toy without comment.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:31 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
astrocub wrote:Aaaaughh noooo! You silenced the newpixbot! You knew that xe knew too much!

You. You are in cahoots with GLR, trying to direct the thread away from the The One True Truth. I knew it all along! <snip>

I'm innocent, I tell you! I deny everything! LaPetite, silencing newpixbot, everything! I'm just a humble blitzer, enjoying the OTC with the rest of you! Image


BlitzGirl wrote:ONGbelievable:
Spoiler:
Image

Megan is clearly my soul sister.
BlitzGirl wrote:Sure we can! We can answer any question at all!


...and being able to predict OTD. Sure BlitzGirl, if that's even your real name. Sure.

apologies, the bourbon tends to make me un peu agressif. And speak French too, apparemment.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:55 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I don't know what [Poetry & Prose]'s based on, but that was so much fun!
Thanks. It's Primus (as k.bookbinder said (and thanks to you)) from the Beavis & Butthead Experience, hence the dialogue at the end. :)

Wow. I'm going to be extremely embarrassed admitting this, but when I first started reading it, the theme song to Fresh Prince of Bel Air started playing in my head so that's how I read the first few paragraphs/verses. :oops: :mrgreen:
Bravo, azule.

I'd like to hear that. Just the unspoilered verse, right?

Thanks also to you and ggh.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
spamjam
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 pm UTC
Location: greenlake seawash

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:03 am UTC

DRINKINGBIRDGLANCEONG
Image

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Image

They passed a "thirsty bird" toy without comment.

hehe. yep. Now she's looking back on it.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:20 am UTC

azule wrote:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Spoiler:
Image

They passed a "thirsty bird" toy without comment.

hehe. yep. Now she's looking back on it.


Odd that suddenly she is lookong over her shoulder so often now. Is she that afraid of a blind snake, or is she concerned something else is after them?

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Okay, I have to coma. But before I do, I bring you the song that I was too coma-deprived to parody last night:

C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am UTC

SINGALONGTHEBRANDNEWSONG...
Image

Edit:
BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, I have to coma. But before I do, I bring you the song that I was too coma-deprived to parody last night:

C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...

Awefulsome! :D

ucim wrote:
Act 1 Scene 9
stage manager's copy
notations from the first theatrical production, at the Riviersh Theater by the Big

<snip>

Great chapter!

ChronosDragon wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:ISHOULDBECOMAONG...
Spoiler:
Image

ETA: Post number 1010, ONG number 102 ...


10x posts aren't that significant. For instance, this is my 10467th post!

You're right. I just thought the visual recursion looked 4. And I realized that it was my last chance to do it, since I really hope that on my 100100th post, I will have more than 1002 ONGs...

Oh, and here's some 2,4 cake for everyone:
Spoiler:
Image


2: small
4: neat

Edited to avoid double-post after the ONG
Edited again to attach the picture that went missing in the meantime - I should really do that for all pictures... :?

RSIR:
Spoiler:
cute-food-tree-cake.jpg
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 am UTC

- Blindpost -

There's general consensus against flame wars on the thread, and I ask, why is this? Absolute freedom should mean one is free to do anything without consequences (other than having to eat hot chocolate, skittles and delicious steaks [unless one is vegetarian] - and don't forget the stonepillowing), including flame wars.

So I'm going to start one:

KarMann! YOU haven'te posted in the thread in more than two weeks! And YOUR MOTHER has never posted on the thread!!

There you go, it's hard to get more personal than that.

Hopefully he comes back one day to continue the flames.

macraw83 wrote:the thread seems to have slowed down a bit. Not sure if that's good (meaning I might ketchup quicker) or bad (we are running out of things to talk about in my future). Or maybe it's still going full speed ahead and I just have a warped sense of it.


Ah, that's normal activity on weekends. Since I comaed, only 2 NewPages have been posted. hopefully that does give me a bit of a chance to ketchup mayonnaise with the present.

*Checks*

Nooope...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Image
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 am UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost -

There's general consensus against flame wars on the thread, and I ask, why is this? Absolute freedom should mean one is free to do anything without consequences (other than having to eat hot chocolate, skittles and delicious steaks [unless one is vegetarian] - and don't forget the stonepillowing), including flame wars.

So I'm going to start one:

KarMann! YOU haven'te posted in the thread in more than two weeks! And YOUR MOTHER has never posted on the thread!!

There you go, it's hard to get more personal than that.

Hopefully he comes back one day to continue the flames.


Hmmmm. You forgot the "Chumley" part, bub.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am UTC

sygnathid wrote:I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It
It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...

But we're still here waiting for it. Pull up an internet and wait with us.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Selcouth
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Selcouth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 am UTC

SBN wrote:
sygnathid wrote:I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It
It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...

But we're still here waiting for it. Pull up an internet and wait with us.


*pulls up an internet*

Nah, I don't like that one. Lemme get another internet, hang on.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am UTC

PELTMONGERS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Selcouth wrote:
SBN wrote:But we're still here waiting for it. Pull up an internet and wait with us.


*pulls up an internet*

Nah, I don't like that one. Lemme get another internet, hang on.

Hey! Put the first one back, don't just leave it laying around. This is why we can't have nice internets.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:21 am UTC

- Blindpost -

buffygirl wrote:Ok, I HATE it when I fail to click "Save" when using the multi-quote script!
*busily tries to recreate the oh-so-very-important things that have gone missing*


THIS. Is the reason I switched my ketchup for blindpost mayonnaise. I love every single volume from StratPlayer's Chaotic Pile of Ketchup, but, that's not mandatory and one post per subject is fine if that avoids the frustration of losing it all in an accident (which I'm willing to ascertain that it's the worst thing that can happen to a blitzer, specially if the ketchup is long enough.)

And MWAH! :)

Kieryn wrote:Nobody noticed my 400th post and the cake i left there. I guess I should not have spoilered it. :cry:


I did! I did! Sorry, it took me so long to post about it. Don't be sad! Here, have this cake to celebrate your next post!

Image

Because, why are only round post celebrated? This one's a nice prime number!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Image
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ggh
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 am UTC
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, I have to coma. But before I do, I bring you the song that I was too coma-deprived to parody last night:

C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...

Did anyone else find themself involuntarily doing the arm motions to C.O.M.A. whilst reading it?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Image

They passed a "thirsty bird" toy without comment.

YES: ENHANCE
db.png

Now, how did they miss that????
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:45 am UTC

- Blindpost -

Febrion wrote:Also, to those of you who feel like your posts are ignored, don't forget the Ketchup Knights - some will bring forward something entertaining they see, while others just smile, nod, and continue their blitz. If these people were ignoring the posts, they would have just saved the effort and skipped to the present.


Oh, this, this, absolutely.

Spoiler:
I had such a moment when my wassail ice cream was never mentioned, but there was none of it the next day so I know everyone got some of it and still enjoyed!


I saw a comic where mscha was chasing Dracomax thinking it was a molpy, a text cloud with all the most active members of the thread on it, videos by yappobiscuits and many other things by ya'll. That I didn't mention them doesn't mean I didn't love them, so don't be worried about it, as we speak people are still blitzing the whole thread from the beginning and they'll probably read your post and appreciate it!

Keep contributing!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Image
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

KONGOS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

- Blinpost -

HAL9000 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Except the sea1 is 1 and the river2 is 2. But in the OTC frame 563, the river was mentioned before the sea. I suppose it's way too late to fix that now, mscha?[/spoiler]

Umm... Image
The line goes from Megan's head to “The sea is big.”, then to “The river is small.”?
Anyway, much too late to fix, yes. I'm not going to go back and edit all my old signature-referring footnotes. But feel free to declare a competing standard where ¹ is small and ² is big. Image
Declared. This new standard as yet has only a handful1 of members, but one day we will be 2.
Nah, this would get confusing. I don't use any footnotes very often anyways, let alone the OTC-related set.


Me neither (at least recently [at the start of my blitzing I used to use footnotes before switching to asterisks {which have basically the same purpose as footnotes <but take longer space when you need to use more than one so it looks like *, **, *** 「these asterisks don't lead anywhere ⟨except for the first one⟩」>}]), I'd rather have parentheses which have a nice recursive recursion property.

*blubbity blurp, dippy zing.

EDIT - kills spoiler, for a short while this message looked like this:

Spoiler:
Image


My first freakpost! :mrgreen:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Image
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
Exodies wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Maybe they're ONG the back of a giant snake:

Image

They passed a "thirsty bird" toy without comment.

YES: ENHANCE
Image
Now, how did they miss that????

I notice from your enchanthancement that Megan either has mustard in her hair or a parting on the right (like a parting on the left). Are we to assume that she "won't get fooled again"?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Now, how did they miss that????

Hmmm. Actually the didn't miss it. I've used my special inter-frame-scope to discover what went on between frames. Here is what is revealed by the magic of old-pix-botting.
interpix.png
No, not an ONG
interpix.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 15022 times


ETA: You'll have to ask Master Randall about the mustard. I know nothing of either Ketchup or Mustard.
ETA2: Though I sometimes do, and sometimes am.

ETA3: Further investigation (revelation) reveals that it is the One True Megan
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Vytron
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 am UTC
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Vytron » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

macraw83 wrote:According to your sigcouragement (which is much appreciated), you must be in the Present by now, as I noticed it a while ago congratulating me on my 100th post shortly after I made it. And you also know that I have fallen much deeper into the Past than I was even then. But I believe I am slowly working my way back.


Aye, I was on the present for a short while, but then, the thread went past me again. It's very hard to keep up with it, people that coma to the present every day have my respect!

And it's a reason for the skip, without it I would still be 61ish pages behind, still meeting with the present at some unknown future point. Having already caught up with the present at some point was very relieving, though, don't tell anyone, I may not be pure of heart :mrgreen:
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

Image
THANKS KARHELL!! :)

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1955
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

newpixbot wrote:KONGOS...
Spoiler:
Image

Did newpixbot suggest a new possible African location?
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6905
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests