1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

no talk-ONG
Image
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PELTMONGERS...
Spoiler:
Image


-- posted by newpixbot


Why, NEWPIXBOT! You're getting uncreative! You should be ashamed of yourself!

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

<snip LOTS>

ucim wrote:
First Cleric wrote:Molpy.... molpy... molpy molpy molpy...molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!
The crowd begins dancing and chanting
the crowd wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
CasCat looks quizzical himself, but joins in as the tempo picks up:
the crowd, now including CasCat wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!


Indeed, molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

And APPLAUSE

(And I'm female, just for the record, but I'm not dogmatic about it. Catmatic, perhaps...)

Um.... does that mean I'm a saint now.....?

CasCat (BlitzGirl the Fast)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

still no talk-ONG
Image
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Eliram
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

I think it's about time that they stop to look back at the view. The sea and river should be very nicely displayed from their current height.
It's about time.

Montov
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Montov » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:I think it's about time that they stop to look back at the view. The sea and river should be very nicely displayed from their current height.


Agree. And I hope it will be a colorful scene like mscha sometimes posts.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Not to mention that there are so many sects and -isms these days that there is no way we would all agree on a standard creed...
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. We should come up with a single non-standard creed. Then every other creed would be standard.

mikrit wrote:Also, isn't selling anti-butter the same as buying butter?
No, it's the same as anti-buying butter. Anti-selling anti-butter would be the same as buying butter.

Vytron wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Ok, I HATE it when I fail to click "Save" when using the multi-quote script!
*busily tries to recreate the oh-so-very-important things that have gone missing*
THIS. Is the reason I switched my ketchup for blindpost mayonnaise. I love every single volume from StratPlayer's Chaotic Pile of Ketchup, but, that's not mandatory and one post per subject is fine if that avoids the frustration of losing it all in an accident (which I'm willing to ascertain that it's the worst thing that can happen to a blitzer, specially if the ketchup is long enough.)
I just compose my replies in a text editor and save to disk every now and then. Mostly I insert the tags by hand, but if not, I can do that in preview, here.

Vytron wrote:Sorry, it took me so long to post about it. Don't be sad! Here, have this cake to celebrate your next post!
(cake image in spoiler)
Spoiler:
Image
Because, why are only round post celebrated? This one's a nice prime number!
Wow... I bet that's not a cake you just randomly found with a googlesearch!

Vytron, who seems to be quoted a lot in this post wrote:I had such a moment when my wassail ice cream was never mentioned, but there was none of it the next day so I know everyone got some of it and still enjoyed!
I noticed and schlurped it right up. Tasted a lot like chocolate, but soon I was too incoherent to post! Also, there is a recursion issue; if every post that is appreciated gets a response from everybody that appreciates it, and each response gets acknowledged (especially with something else that's clever) pretty soon we'll have an experimental version of Xeno's paradigm4.

Jose
4My insurance won't cover two medics, but I can spare most of a quarter for a meta4.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Soooo, from what I read in post coma ketchup, some old posts were deleted. That means every pagepope past then has been dethrowned, unintentionally usurped, unknown to both usurper and usurpee. An unconscious revolution has occurred and I don't know which side I'm on, or both, or neither! Fun stuff I missed out on.
And also, them being on a giant snake is only slightly more likely than my old Cuegan-on-top-of-other-giant-time-traveling-perspective-switching-Cuegans theory. :D
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Whew, ketched up, for now...
No time for a ketchup post, unfortunately. (I've got a whole bunch of tabs open with posts that I might reply to later - if I get a chance.)

It's a weird mix of quiet newpix alternating with busy newpix (the time unit, not the frames themselves) this wixend. A surprisingly large proportion of them are creative efforts, though. Loved them all, but a special shout-out to the new chapter of the Clerics and to C.O.M.A. (I was hoping for that when BlitzGirl posted a teaser a dix earlier).

About deleted posts throwing off NP top posts: Kieryn, since you are keeping track of posts, might it be possible for you to check which posts have been deleted?

No Molpy activity since the Snake⁹!, unfortunately...

More later, maybe.

Oh, almost forgot:
Image
Last edited by mscha on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6859
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

I love the new C.O.M.A. - perfectly catches the spirit of the thread! (Or maybe the spirit of being forced away from the thread!) Great job BlitzGirl!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

Leav-ONG
Image

Gee willikers. This post is actually the product of prime numbers.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

sygnathid wrote:I feel outdated...
The last time I was on this thread, everybody still had that Creed thingy:
Spoiler:
All hail the magnificient Lord Randall
The Author of the One True Comic
The Illustrator of Sandcastles
The Keeper of the Newpix
The Creator of Time
We have seen the Castles
We reject the Outside
We do not Sleep
We watch Time
We wait for It
It appears to be gone now, though. Which makes sense, because that bit about the sandcastles is outdated from the comic...


Welcome back! I think the OTT Creed is taken as given at this point. The Creed still holds true.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

BLINDPOSTING

Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Or maybe this is the distant past, when Madagascar-Antarctica-India was just breaking off from Africa-South America (hence the Seabig doing funny things), and then for some reason Cuegan killed a lot of the species on Madagascar so that they wouldn't be there today. Also, all the 'people' are primitive proto-people, still evolving from the primordial sticks.

If this were Pangaea, I would expect to see some actual raptorsTM molpying about. (This theory actually did cross my mind at one point, but the animations I've seen of Pangaea have Madagascar buddying up with India instead of Africa for a while.)

Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.


Great idea, Angelastic! And I don't say that just because it is consistent with (and more thorough than) an idea I've been contemplating the last 2-3 dix. My thoughts center around what GLR has given us. The baobab trees, which live (literally, I think) no place else on the planet, set the scene definitively in Madagascar. GLR chose this tree specifically to make that point incontrovertible. The addition of the very obviously squirrelly squirpy is GLR's way of telling us that somehow, some fauna (and possibly flora) have been transported to Madagascar. And maybe THAT is supposed to be the biggest clue. They are in Madagascar, but there are squirrels! Why? How could that have happened? Perhaps that is what we should be trying to figure out, and perhaps ultimately, that will turn out to be what Cuegan are trying to figure out too. :)

User avatar
dreiarmumig
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby dreiarmumig » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Since people have started claiming parts of the OTC, I'd like to claim this:
Spoiler:
Image


Also, there hasn't been a diagram showing the OTT's activity lately, has there? I've been wondering whether there is any noticeable trend (except that posting is slower on weekends) or a certain level of activity that remains more or less stable. I don't remember who it was that used to post these activity graphs, but an update would be much appreciated.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I notice a coupla silent members of the tribe. Welcome to Fekeenuisance and SlefBalia.

Also jogletbye84.

Hope you're not just bots.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time" 17 Year Molpys

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now. Here are the holes the come out of (which they create).


Speaking of having to "Wait for it" :mrgreen: .

PS just a shot in the dark, but did you ever do any Grumbling ^W math teaching at Hampshire College?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

LONGHEADEDNESSES...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Pano update:
intothemountains.png


Well above baobaptop level now. Average progress since leaving the river: 1.6 q/newpix
Go Minim go!

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:@Anglastic:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I tried to make a flatland connection via Kurt Gödel through Rudy Rucker to AK Dewdney to Flatland but couldn't pull it off satisfactorily.


Say, the comment about Gödel reminded me of a book I read not long ago. It's called Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, and it's a book which discusses a great many things that we've talked about here, including:
- Jabberwocky
- Self-similarity
- Zeno's Paradox
- Cage's 4'33"
- Artificial Intelligence
- A number of other topics which haven't been discussed yet, but probably will given the nature of this thread

It's a very good read, perhaps my favorite non-fiction book. I highly recommend it.
Image

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PELTMONGERS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot


Newpixbot has been a little uncanny lately. I wonder if it's AI is merging with the AI that is generating the OTC ...

Also, I really hope that is not molpypelts we are dealing with!

Re: deleted posts. Maybe possible to find some, but not all; I've been overwriting the whole data set with each parse, BUT I have cached most of the earlier pages up to about 50 NP ago. Actually you might be able to see where the discrepecies are by looking at the newpages on my site and comparing against the OTC and find deleted posts that way.

@chronosdragon. GEB is one of my favorite books too. I'm always rereading it. I believe GLR did a comic referencing Hofstadter.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:@Anglastic:
Angelastic wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, but before that, the Madagascar-Antarctica-India love triangle was buddied up with Africa-South America, as part of Gondwana, which was part of Pangaea. It says so on the Madagascar wikipedia page.

So I figure, time machines brought all current fauna and flora (the baobabs do look eerily like some specific ones from now, and there wouldn't have been grass back then) into the past, when Madagascar, Antarctica, India, Africa and South America were all joined together. Maybe they're mining for Aorist rods and they've figured out that for time travel to be at all comfortable, they have to bring the entire biosphere. They also brought people, steam bottles, and some flat-pack furniture. Or maybe they're from the far future, when the Sun's about to burn out, and they moved everything way back in time (they didn't want to go back quite this far, for fear of raptors and continental drift, but they miscalculated) in order to have several more billion years of civilization. It was sort of a Noah's Ark thing, but in Time. And the Sea is doing weird things because it's a good Abrahamic Sea (a Holy See?) and it heard that you're supposed to flood when people do that. Everything's put on the same land masses they belong on in the future, because the New New Agers said that would be in harmony with Nature and such, and the editors of Nature did not think that kind of idea would pass peer review, but they saw it as a good marketing opportunity. Anyway, they're in the past, with all the species that hadn't gone extinct yet by the time Time time travel was invented, and it's many yix after the one true time travel event, so by this time, squirpies and molpythons have migrated from the part of Gondwana that will become Africa to the part that will become Madagascar. I'm not sure, but maybe the configuration of the land masses would also explain the movable sunset projection topologies. This makes my hypothesis perfectly plausible, consistent, complete, and sufficiently powerful.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/42/
shadows
If you think that's impossible, perhaps you have been committing heresy by Waiting for Gödel instead of Waiting for it.

Edited because I'd somehow deleted half a sentence (up to the 'table' in 'comfortable') while dragging text around.
Edited again to add links
Edited again because I remembered the steam bottle part, which had also been accidentally deleted.

Brilliant! Just brilliant! I tried to make a flatland connection via Kurt Gödel through Rudy Rucker to AK Dewdney to Flatland but couldn't pull it off satisfactorily.


Say, the comment about Gödel reminded me of a book I read not long ago. It's called Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, and it's a book which discusses a great many things that we've talked about here, including:
- Jabberwocky
- Self-similarity
- Zeno's Paradox
- Cage's 4'33"
- Artificial Intelligence
- A number of other topics which haven't been discussed yet, but probably will given the nature of this thread

It's a very good read, perhaps my favorite non-fiction book. I highly recommend it.

Copper, Silver, Gold: an Indestructible Metallic Alloy is another great read :P

Unfortunately, Megball have not run into any Cylindraspis indica (Réunion giant tortoise), nor has Cuegan torn their Achilles tendon during any of various stumbles.

User avatar
CasCat
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 1:42 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Pano update:
intothemountains.png


Well above baobaptop level now. Average progress since leaving the river: 1.6 q/newpix


Question for you and the other splicers; are there any discontinuities? That is, does every slice overlap with another frame, or is it possible there are dozens (hundreds?) of omitted frames as they journey?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6904
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

SWANSONGS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

newpixbot wrote:SWANSONGS...
Spoiler:
Image


-- posted by newpixbot


Oh no, this is Megball's swan song? This is the end! They will reach the summit of Piton de la Fournaise and drown dramatically in a fiery lava flow :(

CasCat wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Pano update:
intothemountains.png


Well above baobaptop level now. Average progress since leaving the river: 1.6 q/newpix


Question for you and the other splicers; are there any discontinuities? That is, does every slice overlap with another frame, or is it possible there are dozens (hundreds?) of omitted frames as they journey?


They don't always line up, Rule110 coined the term interstitialism
Spoiler:
Rule110 wrote:
XonqNopp wrote:Since we never could determine how much Time was between each frame (and if this value was constant), it is possible that they came to the bridge over the latter river and we did not see it in the OTC... And then they continued their trip along the coast, going a little downhill without we caught up with them again... Who knows what happens between each newpix... And now between the baobabs...

Yeah I saw the bridge is way further, but as I said, we do not know for sure that when the frames change it only stepped forward to the frame next to it... They even could have crossed the river in a boat (raft?) without us seeing...


I find this mode of thinking (we might term it "interstitialism") to be troubling, perhaps even heretical. Where do we draw the line on making up stuff that "could have happened" between the pix? Have Megan and Cueball passed thriving cities, stopped to eat in restaurants, taken balloon rides, or run for public office in the ineffable gaps between frames? (Have they effed in the ineffable gap between frames? That cannot be possible, can it?) Might they, perhaps, have been briefly caught up in a space battle only to be deposited back where they were in time for the next pic, like that Star Wars parody scene in The Life of Brian? Or killed by raptors and replaced with identical-looking clones? That way lies madness.

The potential heresy in interstitialism is that It implies a deceitful Creator -- that is, one that not just Does What He Wants and Knows What He's Doing as we all believe even when those doings are beyond our full understanding, but who deliberately chooses to present a distorted picture knowing that it will lead to false conclusions.

All that is not to imply that there is nothing at all between or outside the visible frames, or that we can safely assume that nothing that is not directly visible in the pix (such as a sun) exists in Cueball and Megan's world. That is a potential heresy of the opposite extreme, which we might term "completism," whose essence is the arrogant assumption that our limited mortal intellects are capable of encompassing the whole and absolute truth. The many true paths lie between those extremes.

User avatar
ronaldkr
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:37 am UTC
Location: near the center of the Euro depression

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ronaldkr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:8< -----
@chronosdragon. GEB is one of my favorite books too. I'm always rereading it. I believe GLR did a comic referencing Hofstadter.


Here you go: Hofstädter reference
http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72272

and Gödel's incompleteness
http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26918

-- Ronald
(yes, there are two different ones here)

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Image

@Valarya, charlie_grumbles: cicadas
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:For those of you who don't live in the right part of Madagasgar the North East US, we are having an emergence of 17 year molpys now.
Enjoy. Sorry it couldn't be spiders tho.

I really wish I were able to visit the east coast right now; I simply love cicadas. I hope to experience a brood emerging (there's a bunch of different broods, all with different regions and years) at least once in my lifetime. It seems like it would be interesting, and at least a little entertaining (earlier on, that is. Before the dead start piling up :cry: ).

Whoops, sorry Charlie (hehe).. I didn't see where you mentioned it being the 17-year emergence. I was just so taken with the Cicada pictures. Why? Because eff cicadas. -_-

HAL, you really don't want to experience it. When the 13 year brood came out around here in 2001-ish, you couldn't even step outside. The ground was covered in live AND dead bugs/shells. The sound was so over-powering and loud it physically hurt. And a short walk from the front door to the car would result in at least 10+ of the clumsy things flapping in to your face. I love some bugs.. but flying ones are NOT the kinds I like.

We even had a small brood here a year or two ago and I couldn't even stop at a red light with my windows rolled down for fear one or two (or more) of those critters would flap right on in. Luckily I haven't seen a single one of this 17-yr brood, yet.

That's a good point; I don't think I entirely understand the scale of these long-cycle broods.
*returns from quick image search*
:shock: Nevermind then. I'm content with the small number that emerges annually.

@ergman, others: VMPCs
Spoiler:
ergman wrote:Soooo, from what I read in post coma ketchup, some old posts were deleted. That means every pagepope past then has been dethrowned, unintentionally usurped, unknown to both usurper and usurpee. An unconscious revolution has occurred and I don't know which side I'm on, or both, or neither! Fun stuff I missed out on.

Actually, the title is (optionally) self-bestowed by the user who holds the first post on each page when the page was first created, regardless of how said post became the top of the page (either by being post #{n*40}+1, or by occupying the bottom of the most recent page when a newbie's post is approved {and thus all posts submitted after it are bumped forwards one}).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Pano update:
Question for you and the other splicers; are there any discontinuities? That is, does every slice overlap with another frame, or is it possible there are dozens (hundreds?) of omitted frames as they journey?

There's no overlap at all (except for the baobap section where I needed to splice in a magnified part of the zoomed out frames). I take two frames covering the same section, combine them into a single frame using the brighter pixels (removing any cuegan and also molpy activity), remove the border, then place that combined frame next to the previous one, adjusting the vertical position to get a continuous ground level. Matches up pretty well, but given the level of detail that's probably not saying much. In fact I had to cheat by leaving out the going around the molpysnake part, so the two frames stitched together there obviously shouldn't match, yet do so just fine.
So yes, it's certainly possible that only glimpses of Cuegan's quest are revealed to us. I hope the stitch still gives a good idea of the terrain changes, though.
Last edited by Zorin_75 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Go Minim go!

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

lookONG backwards again
Image
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Oldpixbot Newpixbot
Says Cuegan sings swan song
Reaching the summit and
Rounding a bend.

Geoactivity
Fiery lava flow
Drowning dramatically
This is the end.

GONG
Spoiler:
Image


100th post:
Spoiler:
penis1, penis2, penis3, penis4, penis5, penis6.1 and vagina6.2, penis7, penis8, penis9.

¹: big
²: small
³: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
⁴: neat
⁵: old
⁶: beautiful, and empty
⁷: wow
⁸: pretty big, probably knows what it's doing
⁹: brownish and shiny, kind of blotchy


Dammit Janet HAL, you ruin everything :P
Last edited by astrocub on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ergman
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 am UTC
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

astrocub wrote:Oldpixbot Newpixbot
Says Cuegan sings swan song
Reaching the summit and
Rounding a bend.

Geoactivity
Fiery lava flow
Drowning dramatically
This is the end.

GONG
Spoiler:
Image


100th post:
Spoiler:
penis1, penis2, penis3, penis4, penis5, penis6.1 and vagina6.2, penis7, penis8, penis9.

¹: big
²: small
³: pretty neat, and even bigger than it looked
⁴: neat
⁵: old
⁶: beautiful, and empty
⁷: wow
⁸: pretty big, probably knows what it's doing
⁹: brownish and shiny, kind of blotchy


Dammit, HAL, you ruin everything :P

This might well be the best thing to have ever been ninja'd
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

User avatar
Earthling on Mars
Morning
Posts: 669
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:35 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the Solar System

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

dreiarmumig wrote:Also, there hasn't been a diagram showing the OTT's activity lately, has there? I've been wondering whether there is any noticeable trend (except that posting is slower on weekends) or a certain level of activity that remains more or less stable. I don't remember who it was that used to post these activity graphs, but an update would be much appreciated.


A graph is available at Kieryn's site.

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HALenFournaise.PNG

User avatar
Rule110
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Pano update:
intothemountains.png


Well above baobaptop level now. Average progress since leaving the river: 1.6 q/newpix


Question for you and the other splicers; are there any discontinuities? That is, does every slice overlap with another frame, or is it possible there are dozens (hundreds?) of omitted frames as they journey?


I believe that the travel distances these frames would represent are much greater (somewhere in the 20x to 100x range) than what is explicitly depicted, even if the edges overlapped (although often they do not). For the same reason I believe that Megan and Cueball represent people with hands, feet, hips, shoulders, faces, and so on even though they're drawn as stick figures.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

User avatar
HAL9000
Not Red
Posts: 1220
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm UTC
Location: Jupiter

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

astrocub wrote::twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
HALenFournaise.PNG

I... I guess... okay then...
what
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4751
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby poxic » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Someone is a bit ninjamiffed?
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

User avatar
astrocub
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby astrocub » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I'm so ninjamiffed it feels like I've got beesnakes up in my snatch.

Psst, HAL, it's a flamewar, just play along and roll over, you'll be fine :wink:

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1954
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

NOTICEONG...
Image
Edit: Looking down at the baobabs?
Spoiler:
Zorin_75 wrote:Pano update:
intothemountains.png


Well above baobaptop level now. Average progress since leaving the river: 1.6 q/newpix

If so, nicely predicted by Eliram:
Eliram wrote:I think it's about time that they stop to look back at the view. The sea and river should be very nicely displayed from their current height.
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Zorin_75
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Beesnake alert:
beesnake.png
Go Minim go!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9099
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Yay, a beesnake! And I expect dialogue pretty soon, something to the tune of "that's a long way down," but I just got out of coma and am not prepared to dance yet.

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Okay, I have to coma. But before I do, I bring you the song that I was too coma-deprived to parody last night:

C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...

Did anyone else find themself involuntarily doing the arm motions to C.O.M.A. whilst reading it?

Yes, in the process of writing it. :lol: Glad y'all enjoyed it!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Swein
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:11 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Swein » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Well, well, well... I predict conversation in next pic. I think the sight will be AWSOME..

[edit] Aaand...I'm the Pope! That's really awsome!
Spoiler:
Image

Though obviously I can be denounced at any time... that sucks!
Last edited by Swein on Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 43 guests