1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
slinches wrote:ChirpONG raptor-molpies?
Spoiler:

Do you have to shout all the time Cueball? Give the shiftlock a rest.

It seems GLR decided to raise his voice in comic 94 and then forgot to lower it since. Could this be part of the loudness war spreading into new media?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:56 am UTC

slinches wrote:ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

There you go:
intothecoolermountains.png
Go Minim go!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 am UTC

listenONG
ETA that it's time to coma!
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
slinches wrote:ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

There you go:
Spoiler:

Awesome, thanks! I'll do the math, if nobody has beaten me to it, after coma-ing. I'll have access to better image editing software than what's available on this tablet then.

Although, based on visual estimation, it doesn't look to even be 6 wow-babs high (aka Adansonia grandidieri, ~100 ft)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 am UTC

ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)

Yes. Yes it would...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Google suggests (nope, I didn't bother following any of the links) that locusts chirp.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:54 am UTC

Title of today's Questionable Content OtherOtherComic...

And everything continues to be all related...

Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:
cueball wrote:Are you hearing quiet chirps?
Megan: Yeah. Who could be calling at this time? (pulls out cellphone)
Voice on phone: molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!

Jose
(Hmmm... wouldn't that be a great cell phone ring?)

Yes. Yes it would...

It might well do! Here's an mp3 then, if anyone's actually crazy enough to want it.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 am UTC

The saga of the chirpONG ends...
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am UTC

Chirping gONG?

Spoiler:

Ninja Swein...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:01 am UTC

That's because your capital letter-talking scared them away, Cueball!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 am UTC

[prediction, soon to be proven wrong, I'm sure]As they start moving again, the chirping will return, and soon they will be besieged by an entire waiting-mope-pancreas-swarm of molpy-locusts. [/prediction]
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:Anyway, I've had a copy of the French translation of GEB for a while, and I plan to read it soon. In fact, my main plan for meeting interesting people after I move to a new city/country will be to sit in coffee shops reading that book and wearing the xkcd 'just shy' shirt. The worst that can happen is I'll read the book and drink coffee and eat cake undisturbed.

That should be interesting, since, iirc, the original had a translation into French of the Jabberwocky, so I'm wondering what a French translation of the French translation end up like... aaaand we're back to Gödel, self-referential stuff and Georg Cantor...

For the record, my copy GEB dates back to about 30BC and showing severe signs of wear.

"Before Comic"... so about the early [heresy]1980's[/heresy]
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 am UTC

I'm rooting for kenmelken's prediction because I have yet to see a molpy attack Cuegan (or another molpy - which I have been rooting for since the circling sparrow-raptor and a molpy appeared in the same frame). Cueball being scared of a meek little burrowing molpysnakeB does not count.

mikro2nd wrote:<snip> That should be interesting, since, iirc, the original had a translation into French of the Jabberwocky, so I'm wondering what a French translation of the French translation end up like... aaaand we're back to Gödel, self-referential stuff and Georg Cantor...

It's all related; I was just reading about this twice-translated book today (English, French translation, English translation of the French translation).

Edit: Alternate theory I thought of while writing this post: The stumps were actually chirping. They are not stumps, but a particularly sneaky breed of molpy cleverly disguised as stumps. :P
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 am UTC

Ooh. Stump-molpies. I like it. :) And THEY will ambush Cuegan when they least expect it!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
shurikt wrote:
Spoiler:
Then the train came.

Green Line or Brown Line light rail or heavy rail molpytrain or trainraptor?

European Train (which runs on Time), or African Train (which frequently fails to run at all)?

ChronosDragon wrote:Of course, it could be non-insectile. Birds chirp too. As do small mammals, occasionally. Heck, maybe it's a vocal molpy!

Or Frogs? (Though they're often pretty loud9.)

Alright, I know it's been done to death already... I'll stop now.
I am African (though possibly not Africanist) so it's allowed.
9 loud
Last edited by mikro2nd on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
One world, one soul

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 am UTC

Still ListenONG:

Megan seems to have tilted her head...and for some reason Cueball's bag moved. It looks kind of odd.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 am UTC

What If #48: When (if ever) did the Sun finally set on the British Empire?
(just in case you focused on the javascript too much)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:19 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Still ListenONG:
Spoiler:

Megan seems to have tilted her head...and for some reason Cueball's bag moved. It looks kind of odd.

Looking at the last 4 newpix at geekwagon (using the "difference from previous frame" gadget) I see that there's some tiny molps moving about in the grass ahead of Megball. I lack the graphics fu to make an animation; perhaps someone else?
One world, one soul

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Oh, great eye! I'll try and whip up a little gif. In the meantime, enjoy the wiggling knapsack:
Spoiler:
LetThatCatOuttaTheBag.gif
LetThatCatOuttaTheBag.gif (2.66 KiB) Viewed 15634 times

higgs-boson wrote:What If #48: When (if ever) did the Sun finally set on the British Empire?
(just in case you focused on the javascript too much)

This explains everything! Cuegan is in the British Empire, where the sun never sets! :P
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Wow. Good catch. I'll see what I can do...

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 am UTC

What is this ong stuff all about?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am UTC

Ketchup Time

buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:<snip>Did you think I was a girl? The hat looks kind of... feminine. At least, it's a hat I wouldn't let other people seeing me with IRL in public :mrgreen: <smip>

Nope, it's irrelevant. The femininity or masculinity of a forum member had little bearing upon the hat that was bestowed.
I tended to be partial to female hats overall, possibly due to the fact that there is more variety, but also because they tend to be sillier. Silly is good.

Do you have a form 237b63 for each one of those silly hats? If not, then the Department of Silliness cannot allow the silliness of these hats. Unlicensed silliness cannot be condoned!

Icalasari wrote:What is this ong stuff all about?

It's the sound the original Newpix Gong made.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 am UTC

I guess the quiet chirps weren't locusts after all, but this one little molpychirp:

Spoiler:
AdventuresOfMolpychirp.gif
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:49 am UTC

Ninja'd by Blitzgirl, whose animation looks cooler, but here's my first ever attempt at Molpy-documenting. There appears to be 4 different spots with "molpy-chirps" in them.

Spoiler:
molpySpotting.gif

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 am UTC

That's very good for your first molpyhunt! And you remembered the frame numbers, which I missed. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Let's meet a cheerful chirpity-chirpONG-molpy

Edit: @BlitzGirl: Thanks. :)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:23 am UTC

Those chirps from the sky were probably the leaving aliens spaceships. This proves their minds were wiped by aliens! That's why they don't know anything!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Is Megan talking about molpybats? Or more locusts? Or a raptor of some kind?
Preview edit: I could go for raptaliens (raptor-aliens).

And what's this about the "night sky"?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Like ChronosDragon I'm under the weather (although the actual weather is fantastic), so here's a tuesday morning home-sick-day ketchup.

Angelastic wrote:

I love that book. :) I finally read it in 2004 after three different people had recommended it to me. People of the thread, you have now had it recommended to you by more than three people; don't wait as long as I did!

I would recommend Le Ton beau de Marot by the same author, [snip]

This here is one of the many reasons I love not only this thread but the entire forum. Many of the great books I've read I have found because of recommendations here. Including GEB, which I haven't finished reading though...

Valarya wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:But mosquitos, ugh, mosquitos. I loathe them. The worst is when you wake up at night in your sleeping bag (or wherever) to this high-pitched whine right in your ear, and you feel the tickling sensation of the mosquito on your ear...eeesh.

I just shuddered because your description caused me to feel a mosquito buzzing around my ear. Image

About 15 Outside years ago I attended a summer jazz course, and the place I slept was at a local something (not really important what, and I have no idea how to explain it) in a little room on the top floor. The room was just inside the balcony, and since it was hot one night I decided to air it out before going to bed (mattress on the floor). So I opened the door for half an hour or so. Then I had to spend 2-3 hours killing mosquitos before I could sleep. Needless to say I never opened that door again.

It doesn't end there, though. A couple of days later we had a particularly loud concert at the course. When I went to bed that night I heard a mosquito in the room, so I started trying to figure out where it was. But no matter what I did it was impossible to find. Finally I tried sticking my fingers in my ears, and the buzzing/whining was still there! Turns out I had got a (temporary) tinnitus which was exactly the same frequency as a mosquito. Talk about annoying!

kenmelken wrote:[prediction, soon to be proven wrong, I'm sure]As they start moving again, the chirping will return, and soon they will be besieged by an entire waiting-mope-pancreas-swarm of molpy-locusts. [/prediction]

This made me think of this scene (sadly I only found a dubbed version, but the important sounds are original):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSafSFBu ... age#t=212s

The funny part is that the clip starts with actual chirping!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSafSFBucC4

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This explains everything! Cuegan is in the British Empire, where the sun never sets! :P

Apparently not! They have experienced the phenomenon known as "Night". At least once anyway.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:37 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:This explains everything! Cuegan is in the British Empire, where the sun never sets! :P

Apparently not! They have experienced the phenomenon known as "Night". At least once anyway.

This is where I would chirp in with "They're just misspelling things, it's a Knight sky" and an image with the sky filled with knights (and/or David Hasselhof), but my cold doesn't want to spare the energy for that, so you'll just have to imagine it instead. :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:38 am UTC

It figures that I say that, then "night sky" comes up in the very next newpix. :P
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:46 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Image

Enhance:
Spoiler:
chirpity.png
chirpity.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 15498 times
One world, one soul

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:59 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Well, I think Corinne isn't the same snake as the Time snake now, I think Corinne's developed a new life, body, and personality, so she and I are going to coma. Let's hope she doesn't strangle me in the night.

I'm starting to worry that you've developed dissaciative identity disorder. Does Corrine talk to you often?

If Corinne were to talk to me, then that wouldn't be Dissociative Identity Disorder, it sounds a lot more like psychosis to me.

I always talk about my fictional characters as if they are real people because they are sort of real to me, even though I am certain they don't exist.

Corinne: She bloody does as well, and she feels that I am fictional also. I'd love to tell her otherwise but she probably wouldn't listen. And she has her own fictional characters. I hate them all but I can't do anything to them. The bunnies won't let me.

TheMinim: I don't think Corinne is particularly happy about being fiction. *sigh*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:00 am UTC

talk-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am UTC

Well, folks, where I am it is now [heresy]4:00 AM[/heresy], so I suppose I need to go coma...

Excited to find out more about the mysterious chirping!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:08 am UTC

Inspired by FullOfIt's remark; perhaps what Megan heard was a band of Knights Temporal travelling through the newpix on their steeds:

Spoiler:
TheKnightSky.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Well, folks, where I am it is now [heresy]4:00 AM[/heresy], so I suppose I need to go coma...

Excited to find out more about the mysterious chirping!

Dang, 4 AM. Yesterday my alarm clock was at 4AM because I had a training in a particularly difficult to reach part of the country (by public transport and bike that is. By car it wouldn't have been a problem)

he/him/his

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Inspired by FullOfIt's remark; perhaps what Megan heard was a band of Knights Temporal travelling through the newpix on their steeds:

Spoiler:
TheKnightSky.png

Haha! So much better, and appropriate, than what I could ever have come up with. I'm but a molpy hair in the wind that is the creative stream in here...

dreiarmumig

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 am UTC

In other 'Everything is related'/'Everything is an OTC reference' news: After some heavy rain, water levels are rising in many parts of Germany (including where I live), the Czech Republic and Austria. So, yes, Cuegan, there are other rivers, and maybe something is wrong with them.
Anyway. Here's a picture I took yesterday.
Spoiler:
This is at about 2,20 m above average. Supposedly it'll rise another 2,50ish metres.

ETA: Wow, papacy yet again!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”