1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dictator

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Dictator » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

I am liking the turn this has made with the trip into the mountains. Exploring is fun.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:I just needed a stupid name not too stupid. I considered this one would do.
And between me and GLR is about 3.6x106q salty water (mostly).

So, not so far as Swein, I guess. (If my heresy calculator is a workin')

Swein would have to invest petrol worth about 5€1,69 more (beeline) - yes.

1,69Which does not only depend on the current petrol prices, but on the vehicle Swein is using, on the weather, on the cosmic interference... but 50km would sound both heretical and boring.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:NEW COORDS FOR GLR. Please take note.
42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Corrected stalking distance for me: 210mi (338km).

ed to correct ignorance. k is money, km is distance :oops: *I think* *glances around nervously for a non-American*
ed again b/c also bad at remembering how [quote] works *glances around nervously for everybody else who has that figured out which is just about everybody*
Last edited by fhorn on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Puts Charlie a bit closer, I think. Going off to figger.

NEW COORDS FOR GLR. Please take note.
42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Actually, a bit farther. About 255km as the molpyraptor flies.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

- Blindpost -

ChronosDragon wrote:Curse you, whoever posted that tvtropes link a couple pages back! I've fallen in to the Obvious Trap of TV tropes, with two tabs opening for every one I close! I can't escape!

Edit: Mwa ha ha, now I've passed on the curse!

Nice try.

*Adds all links to Bookmarks*

*Continues reading the OTC*
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

fhorn wrote: k is money

Ahh, no. Time is Money.

Sorry, really, I am.
-- Charlie Grumbles

tastony

Postby tastony » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

And I have now shifted further away from the GLR with the updated co-ordinates: 16930km.
I waited.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Ketchup Post Jr: Ketchup harder
If noone else has claimed it, I'm claiming frame 406(according to Aubron, that's the one with the closeup of the tiny trebuchet)and all it contains. I have use of a tiny trebuchet, and that looks like the perfect size for hurling small candies.

Were you there?
heresy, heresy, everywhere a heresy
a fool and his money...
Ucim ftw
Buffygirl retires, and the whole world mourns.
Why, oh why, could clippy not be erased from existence?

Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:If an ONG sounds in the OTT, but there's nobody around to hear it, does it make a newpix?

Do raptors fly?

Hmmm. Is the Mome a Blitzer?

FWIW, I was there and I
Waited for it.

I was there when Blitzgirl began her long trek. When Helper was made the Vatican Milliner's Perfect customer, I was there. When Cueball fell and broke the castle, I was there. I was there when Buffy girl began her hatting, and I will have been there when she ended it. I was there when the constellation of posts was created, and when the molpies were hunted, I was there. I hear some of you saying, "What can I, who was not there that day, take from this?" I hear your fears that you have missed so much, that to blitz is too difficult for any but the hardiest souls. I am recalled of the words of the bard, however.
Shakespeare wrote: This wip is call'd the feast of Megan.
He that outlives this wip, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this wip is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Megan.
He that shall live this wip, and see old age,
Will yiply on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Megan.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Megan's wip.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that wip. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Blitzgirl the Mope, Stratplayer and cmyk,
Mscha and Charlie_Grumbles, SBN and Buffygirl-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Megan shall ne'er go by,
From this wip to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he this wip that sheds his Pixels with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This wip shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen by the sea now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's wip.

Who knew that Shakespeare read the OTT?

Vytron wrote:
I've said it before, it's because Great Lord Randall is an Heretic Outsider which doesn't post on the OTT or even follows his comic in real time. But it's all fine, [heresy]heresy is good![/heresy]

Sigh. I work, and I work, yet it's like removing rocks from the garden. as soon as you look away, new heresies spring up like weeds.

For this, I sentence you to watch the 2011 Wonder Woman pilot.*Pants to be darkened*

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Wait...is this real or fake? I don't remember seeing any "brightness-enhanced" versions of frames back when I was ketchupping this section...

Bridges for sale. Bridges for sale.
Step right up, gettcher bridges.
Cheep too.

Hmmm. Kid, you bin had.

Buy one bridge and we'll brightness-enhance it for you for free. Honest. No rly.

I have some bottom land to sell.(Just don't ask what it's on the bottom of...)
And I'll sell it so cheap, why I'm cutting my own throat.

ucim wrote:first herald wrote:The fourth scribe wants sex with a cat?

I laughed out loud. seriously, awesome work. Don't know if I told you this before, but it bears reiterating.

buffygirl wrote:I present this next hat with both joy and a heavy heart.

This hat is for Vytron, for having made it to the present (ok, it's taken me awhile to do it). Congratulations, voyager! But, I also present it to him for another very special reason. You see, I must close the BuffyDashery for an as yet indistinct period of time, rendering this hat possibly my last.

I am very pleased and honored, however, to name Vytron as my successor, Maker of Hats for the OTT. Carry on the tradition with pride, Vytron!

HUZZAH for Vytron, the next Hatter of the OTT!

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooOK!
Also, Nice cakes.

fhorn wrote:
ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Oh well this would be 440... Give me an A!
Made me smile. Four more posts and you can do it again, in Boston. Jose

and 445 in Berlin (allegedly).

blindposting but has anyone taken the tiny1 trebuchet? If not, I claim it.

1 even smaller than the river2
2 small

...Curse you. curse you with a molpy sandwich with semenbaconcancerbabiesbacononice. That minitrebuchet should be mine! It's so uncivilised throwing candy by hand... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Neil_Boekend wrote:Just to bring up some ancient horrors:

Oh no? The hat of evil has returned to an earlier, much more annoying form! Kill it with fire!

and...ketched up.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Ahh, no. Time is Money.

Sorry, really, I am.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
I'm laughing so hard right now
someone PLEASE get me the rolling-around-smiley
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Oh dear. That puts me farther from his Greatness, the Creator of Time. I am now 903 miles (~ 1453 km) from GLR central.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Ketchup Post Jr: Ketchup harder
If noone else has claimed it, I'm claiming frame 406(according to Aubron, that's the one with the closeup of the tiny trebuchet)and all it contains. I have use of a tiny trebuchet, and that looks like the perfect size for hurling small candies.

been there, done that, we were both too late:
dreiarmumig wrote:
fhorn wrote:blindposting but has anyone taken the tiny1 trebuchet? If not, I claim it.

2 small

Yes, it has been claimed by AluisioASG:

AluisioASG wrote:Well, I claim for myself frame 403 and everything contained herein.

But were it mine to give, I'd hand it over to you in a tiny trebuchet [heresy]second![/heresy] - I only wanted it because it was supercute, but you had an actual use for it. You had plans, big (tiny) plans....
ETA: Also, I read your request as "hurling small candles", and I wondered why you wanted to start a flame war? :?

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:According to wikipedia, GLR lives in the general vicinity of 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W (NO, not exactly there, within a few miles/kilometers/tensOfMegaPixels). ... I'd also be interested to know who here lives the farthest (Jupiter not counting) from the abode of GLR. Coordinates or named places acceptable. Approximate great-circle distance also appreciated.

Google maps tells me I'm a tad over under 13000km from those the updated coordinates. (34°S 23°E close enough.) It's a bit of a walk, and you have to ba able to hold your breath a while (unless you have other Papal superpowers, I guess!) but it looks to me like parts of Australia are probably further.

ETADP:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Ahh, no. Time is Money.

No, no! Money is a Gas!

Time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say
Last edited by mikro2nd on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Swein

Postby Swein » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Okidoki. I'm now closer to GLR. 5995km is my new distance.

And also:
Spoiler:
Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains! Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains! Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains!
Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains! Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains! Molpies Molpies Molpies in the Mountains!
MOOOLPIES!!!!

Yeah! 100 molpies for my 100th post!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

foilman

Postby foilman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Next sceneONG.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Blindpost (almost there...):
fhorn wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Here you go: Image
(Did you literally ROFL, though? I've never actually seen anyone do that, let alone done it myself.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blindpost (almost there...):
fhorn wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Here you go: Image
(Did you literally ROFL, though? I've never actually seen anyone do that, let alone done it myself.)

Thank you, mscha!
I did not. I definitely guffawed, though, hard enough to almost fall off the couch, just from delighted surprise at not only what charlie_grumbles said, but how he said it. Perfect timing, and then the "aw shucks," rueful apology. I often smile at the tomfoolery here, but it's rare that I'm just laughing out loud in my own apartment all by myself (well, the dog's here, but she's disinterested) - therefore, the request for the smiley, a self-indulgent exaggerationthree million.

three millionIf I've told you once, I've told you three million times, don't exaggerate.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Ketchup Post Jr: Ketchup harder

been there, done that, we were both too late:
dreiarmumig wrote:
fhorn wrote:blindposting but has anyone taken the tiny1 trebuchet? If not, I claim it.

2 small

Yes, it has been claimed by AluisioASG:

AluisioASG wrote:Well, I claim for myself frame 403 and everything contained herein.

But were it mine to give, I'd hand it over to you in a tiny trebuchet [heresy]second![/heresy] - I only wanted it because it was supercute, but you had an actual use for it. You had plans, big (tiny) plans....
ETA: Also, I read your request as "hurling small candles", and I wondered why you wanted to start a flame war? :?

If I started anything, it'd be a fire war. no flame wars here.

And now, I must ask, hat in claw, that AlusioASG loan the Tiny Trebuchethuh to the Inquisition for use in punishing heretics when necessary. We can pay in small unmarked chocolates.

huhfor some reason, spellcheck thinks this should be spelled "Bucharest"
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Ketched up. Image (No full Image post again, due to continuing Outside interference. Loved it all, though.)

First: Molpy!
It's a good thing I don't have any official titles that can be stripped... Luckily, in my absence, there has been some excellent molpy hunting.
Here's my animation, in both a regular and ‘difference’ version, so you can actually see what's happening.
Spoiler:
It's apparently a fast-moving molpy – faster than Cuegan in any case – that was moving left, but quickly fled the scene when Cuegan arrived.
No further molpy activity after it left.
Edit: the timing of the molpy definitely matches the chirping Megan heard, so it was most likely the molpy chirping. (A cholpy?)

(The last newpix doesn't quite fit to the previous one, making any future panorama at least slightly incomplete. Oh well, they're still useful as an approximation.)

My distance – I'm just outside Amsterdam, NL – to the GLR: about 3185 kcue. (Stupid Google wouldn't do the conversion, had to do it myself.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Vytron wrote:<snip>Did you think I was a girl? The hat looks kind of... feminine. At least, it's a hat I wouldn't let other people seeing me with IRL in public :mrgreen: <smip>

Nope, it's irrelevant. The femininity or masculinity of a forum member had little bearing upon the hat that was bestowed.
I tended to be partial to female hats overall, possibly due to the fact that there is more variety, but also because they tend to be sillier. Silly is good.

Do you have a form 237b63 for each one of those silly hats? If not, then the Department of Silliness cannot allow the silliness of these hats. Unlicensed silliness cannot be condoned!

Uhhhhh ..... Sure! It's, er ... right here ...

BlitzGirl wrote:Is Megan talking about molpybats? Or more locusts? Or a raptor of some kind?
Preview edit: I could go for raptaliens (raptor-aliens).

And what's this about the "night sky"?

I read that as rapscallions initially.

Neil_Boekend wrote:May be he is talking about a hidden Markov Model.

Yes, that's just the top Google reply on "Wiki HMM". No I haven't got a clue as to what it is.

I take it I would understand that joke if I were able to even understand the first sentence in that link, much less the entire article...

akacat wrote:So... am I the only person who is unable to see the frames of the OTC? I can't see the most recent xkcd or the logo image either, though the what-if is unaffected.

When I tried to view the most recent comic directly from its URL, I got "412 - Precondition Failed".

(Thankfully I am able to view the OTC from http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/. But since I'm usually completely unaware of the current frame number, without all the dialogue I wouldn't be able to stay in sync.)

I read that as "Precognition Failed"

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:<snip>
Buffygirl retires, and the whole world mourns.
Why, oh why, could clippy not be erased from existence?

Spoiler:
<snip>
I am recalled of the words of the bard, however.
Shakespeare wrote: This wip is call'd the feast of Megan.
He that outlives this wip, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this wip is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Megan.
He that shall live this wip, and see old age,
Will yiply on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Megan.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Megan's wip.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that wip. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Blitzgirl the Mope, Stratplayer and cmyk,
Mscha and Charlie_Grumbles, SBN and Buffygirl-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Megan shall ne'er go by,
From this wip to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he this wip that sheds his Pixels with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This wip shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen by the sea now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's wip.

Who knew that Shakespeare read the OTT?

and...ketched up.

Dug the Shakespeare, but do not mourn for Buffygirl. She has retired from buffydasherying, but she hasn't left the OTT! And she is still our Empress:
Tarot_theEmpress.jpg
Spoiler:

Well, it's okay to mourn a little. Could you pass me a box of kleenex and some chocolate?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Ketched up. Image (No full Image post again, due to continuing Outside interference. Loved it all, though.)

First: Molpy!
It's a good thing I don't have any official titles that can be stripped... Luckily, in my absence, there has been some excellent molpy hunting.
Here's my animation, in both a regular and ‘difference’ version, so you can actually see what's happening.
Spoiler:
It's apparently a fast-moving molpy – faster than Cuegan in any case – that was moving left, but quickly fled the scene when Cuegan arrived.
No further molpy activity after it left.
Edit: the timing of the molpy definitely matches the chirping Megan heard, so it was most likely the molpy chirping. (A cholpy?)

(The last newpix doesn't quite fit to the previous one, making any future panorama at least slightly incomplete. Oh well, they're still useful as an approximation.)

My distance – I'm just outside Amsterdam, NL – to the GLR: about 3185 kcue. (Stupid Google wouldn't do the conversion, had to do it myself.)

We could give you the title of Chief Detective of the Molpy Detective Agency. Then you'd have a title which one might strip away.

Oh, such cute little molpies! Perhaps we shall see more as the hillside seems to becoming more lush, rather than the deforested devastated environment I feared would come.

Oh! And excellent - km to cue(q) conversion! What would be the conversion rate? I'd like to know my distance from GLR in kq. as well as mi. and km., too.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

ChirpONG...

Edit: no visible molpies.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Oh! And excellent - km to cue(q) conversion! What would be the conversion rate? I'd like to know my distance from GLR in kq. as well as mi. and km., too.

I used the assumed approximate conversion factor listed in the OTW: 1 cue ≈ 1.75 m.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

This may be beyond the reach of the comfy chair, but [heresy] does anyone else find the 'chirp' to be a little, well, not up to the GLR's usual standards? [/heresy] [continuing heresy] Cheesy? Twee??? [/continuing heresy]
Pelt away, Inquisitors.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

A sunbird perhaps?

ETA- or a spiderhunter or ...

Molpyhunter!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

akacat

Postby akacat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

akacat wrote:So... am I the only person who is unable to see the frames of the OTC? I can't see the most recent xkcd or the logo image either, though the what-if is unaffected.

When I tried to view the most recent comic directly from its URL, I got "412 - Precondition Failed".

And the images are working for me again, so nevermind!

charlie_grumbles wrote:Also, re phone ringers. The cat sneezing one might be pretty cool too. :twisted:

I seem to be at the editing edge for a bit here. There have been offers of marriage here, I think. Slashdot has something to say about that right NOW.

I'd love to get a recording of the cat sneezing. If that ever happens, I'll be sure to share.

If anyone has a recording of any other cat sneezing, in either a fake or a cute manner, I would be interested. Or at least, amused.

moody7277 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Just to bring up some ancient horrors:
Spoiler:

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn

*snrk*

42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

I seem to be ~1100km away.

How are people getting straight-line distances from Google maps? Or are they? It's merely a coincidence that my shortest route is roughly a straight line.

mscha wrote:(Did you literally ROFL, though? I've never actually seen anyone do that, let alone done it myself.)

I've literally ROFLed. But as a child, my legs had a tendency to go out from under me when I laughed hard enough.

I also have a friend who will literally ROFL, just for the added laughs. He's just a little odd. :)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Ooh. Stump-molpies. I like it. :) And THEY will ambush Cuegan when they least expect it!

Do termolpies chirp? 8-) :o

I talk about crawlies for 3 NPs and then right after I go Coma... Cuegan hear some chirping. Go figure. And I'm sorry to do this.. I ran a search, saw this, couldn't resist. Even though I threw up in my mouth a little..
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend wrote:
moody7277 wrote:ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthclippy M'sword wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sigged. That's awesome. It's so nicely hidden until it slams you in the face.

Someone please explain this to me... Something about MS Word clippies? :oops:

fhorn wrote:
42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Corrected stalking distance for me: 210mi (338km).

*pats affectionately* Don't worry, American here. I had to convert, too.

Stalking distance: 1,099mi (1,769km)
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

42°23′15″N 71°06′00″W

Wow. It seems that I lived last month just 10.44km away from the Great Lord Randall. I should have printed frame 403 and asked for an autograph.
Now I am 7510km away, and I don't expect to shorten that distance anytime soon.

Dracomax wrote:And now, I must ask, hat in claw, that AlusioASG loan the Tiny Trebuchet to the Inquisition for use in punishing heretics when necessary. We can pay in small unmarked chocolates.

Sorry, I am currently only accepting 1) bookshelves 2) diff sand (i.e. red and green grains) 3) nanorobot swarms (preferentially the kind capable of forming solid objects).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I talk about crawlies for 3 NPs and then right after I go Coma... Cuegan hear some chirping. Go figure. And I'm sorry to do this.. I ran a search, saw this, couldn't resist. Even though I threw up in my mouth a little..

I can manage spiders, snakes, bees, even wasps, cicadas - but Valarya, I can't handle little maggoty worms, pleasepleaseplease could you spoiler this???!?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:According to wikipedia, GLR lives in the general vicinity of 40°41′18″N 75°12′59″W (NO, not exactly there, within a few miles/kilometers/tensOfMegaPixels). ... I'd also be interested to know who here lives the farthest (Jupiter not counting) from the abode of GLR. Coordinates or named places acceptable. Approximate great-circle distance also appreciated.

Google maps tells me I'm a tad over under 13000km from those the updated coordinates. (34°S 23°E close enough.) It's a bit of a walk, and you have to ba able to hold your breath a while (unless you have other Papal superpowers, I guess!) but it looks to me like parts of Australia are probably further.

Ahhh. With those coords, you must be somewhere in ɐɔıɹɟɐ. Right?

The other land "down under", so to speak.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

And it's time for some Frank's Red Hot on molpyrabtor wings. Yum!

I originally attributed this to ChronosDragon, I'm so very sorry!
Dracomax! wrote:
Come with me,
and you'll be in a world of pure baconcaffeination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into GLR's imagination

We'll begin
With Newpix
Waiting for
The world of his creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anytime you want to, post it
Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Thread I know
To compare with
OTT each Newpix
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anytime you want to, post it
Wanta change the OTT?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure OTT information
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be
Dracomax!, I don't know what to say. That is, quite simply, beautiful. I don't suppose the gent with the sweet tenor would want to record that? (Yappobiscuits? Apologies to the true singer if that's wrong.)

When kenmelken wrote:
Ooh! Termite mound! That's actually a viable food source if they're hungry. They taste like mint and carrots.

I asked: I'm curious, cooked carrots or raw?

He replied:
Cooked, cuz they're a bit squishy (albeit with an initial crunch)

Gah. Oh, well. I suppose I could eat them if I had to, but I was hoping they would be at least a little more than tolerable. :cry:

Dracomax/TheMinim/Corinne:
Spoiler:
Dracomax: I'm starting to worry that you've developed dissaciative identity disorder. Does Corrine talk to you often?

TheMinim: If Corinne were to talk to me, then that wouldn't be Dissociative Identity Disorder, it sounds a lot more like psychosis to me.

I always talk about my fictional characters as if they are real people because they are sort of real to me, even though I am certain they don't exist.

Corinne: She bloody does as well, and she feels that I am fictional also. I'd love to tell her otherwise but she probably wouldn't listen. And she has her own fictional characters. I hate them all but I can't do anything to them. The bunnies won't let me.

TheMinim: I don't think Corinne is particularly happy about being fiction. *sigh*

Corinne, you're only fictional in a physical sense. You have as much reality as any other thought, and much more than most!
My bunch calls these ‘head chibis.’ (A chibi in anime (and manga?) is a diminutive alternate version of a character, similar to ‘The Muppet Babies’ but generally not dumbed down quite so drastically.) Head chibis are generally not dumbed down at all, and can be used to explore different aspects of a character, or to test character interactions, or just to hang out and observe, like Corinne has been doing in TheMinim's posts. You can get a really good feel for a character's voice this way. The minds of many fiction writers teem with them; in fact, if an author says that the characters got away from them or had their own ideas, it's a good bet that they have their own version of head chibis. :D

Edited for punctuation and to spoiler for seaishness

Edited to fix song attribution. I'm going to find a rock to crawl under now
Last edited by BlueCrab on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:45 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

akacat wrote:How are people getting straight-line distances from Google maps? Or are they? It's merely a coincidence that my shortest route is roughly a straight line.

Straight line???? Then YOU must be a molpy mole! Or a bit off planet. Or just a bit "off", perhaps???

AluisioASG wrote:
Dracomax wrote:And now, I must ask, hat in claw, that AlusioASG loan the Tiny Trebuchet to the Inquisition for use in punishing heretics when necessary. We can pay in small unmarked chocolates.

Sorry, I am currently only accepting 1) bookshelves 2) diff sand (i.e. red and green grains) 3) nanorobot swarms (preferentially the kind capable of forming solid objects).

Hmmm? Sorted diff sand or mixed? And do you require free-range, or will domesticated do?

Jus' askin'.

Cheating-ONG

ETA: Cheating because I added the np to an existing post with the correct timestamp. Hope you can forgive. I also think I hear chirping (tho I'm actually pretty deaf).
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Still drinking some...

(Reading the posts made while I was sleep... 3 days ago, am I doing it right?)

astrocub wrote:Hey xuys,

Oh, that's brilliant! xuys>ya'll fits perfectly with my xey/xeir/xey's/xem genderless pronouns! :)

astrocub wrote:...NEEDless to say, not making much progress, and since I started a new job this week it looks like I'll be less likely to stay current with the OTF and all its inside jokes and standards and standardizations of those standards and standardizations of ni ni ni ping pong bacon zombie teenage mutant ninja molpies...

<snip>

Looking forward to see you again in the present (hopefully the present when you come back), and nice heretical panorama!

Zorin_75 wrote:precomarama...

Unlike this... apostatical* one that doesn't have azule's heretical branches!

*Because us heretics need a word to call the other ones.

Just kidding, I actually kind of like the idea of replacing the unseen tops of the baobabs with seen tops.

Also xuys, this is the reason I maintain that blitgirling through the whole thread is important:

taixzo wrote:
chem1190c wrote:P aopur dl zovbsk hss zdpajo av YVA20. Aoha zovbsk thrl pa tbjo lhzply av mvssvd aopz kpzjbzzpvu

chem1190c suggests we encrypt stuff with rot20 - in a message which, I eventually figured out, is encrypted in rot19.

Finally, a translation to THAT! Thanks taixzo! I'm pretty sure there are other parts of the thread that I missed (even though I read them.)

Looking forward to Chapter 5: The Surprise ChronosDragon! :D
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
Valarya wrote:I talk about crawlies for 3 NPs and then right after I go Coma... Cuegan hear some chirping. Go figure. And I'm sorry to do this.. I ran a search, saw this, couldn't resist. Even though I threw up in my mouth a little..

I can manage spiders, snakes, bees, even wasps, cicadas - but Valarya, I can't handle little maggoty worms, pleasepleaseplease could you spoiler this???!?

Spoilered. Sorry. :cry:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

Hmmm? Sorted diff sand or mixed? And do you require free-range, or will domesticated do?

Jus' askin'.

Doesn't matter, as long as it's sentient and knows what do to.
Just like the sand we use when diffing OTC land.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
fhorn wrote:

Spoilered. Sorry. :cry:

Thank you!!! And no worries. The creeepy crawlies just give me the creepy crawlies. All better now! *big hug*

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
slinches wrote:ETA: I haven't seen an up to date stitch recently, so it's not very accurate, but they appear to have climbed less than 100q ([heresy]~600ft[/heresy]).

There you go:
intothecoolermountains.png

Okay, some calculations as promised:

Cuegan have climbed 1515 pixels (~38q or [heresy]~220 ft[/heresy]) since leaving the beautiful place by the river. That's nowhere near enough altitude to noticeably reduce the temperature. I have a working1 hypothesis that might explain this anomaly as well as the paradoxical surprise when Megball already had line-of-sight to the wow-babs:

I think the ground level is on some sort of log scale with each frame being presented in linear scale superimposed on top of it. I'm thinking of creating a composite image that has the ground rescaled to linear with some of the major features grafted back in (e.g. Cuegan and the Wow-tree grove), but I lack the time and image editing prowess to accomplish it right now.

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Oh! And excellent - km to cue(q) conversion! What would be the conversion rate? I'd like to know my distance from GLR in kq. as well as mi. and km., too.

I used the assumed approximate conversion factor listed in the OTW: 1 cue ≈ 1.75 m.

I have been using a value close to that (1q = 40 pixels = [heresy]5.8 ft[/heresy])

1For some values of "working" which are most likely to be close to that of complete BS.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

I think Cueball misheard Megan.

What she really said:
Spoiler:
chirp2.png
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Still drinking some...

<snip>

Damn. You have out cola-shopped me.
mscha wrote:ChirpONG...

Edit: no visible molpies.

Ooh. Another OTC first? Is this the first visual representation of sound? Its not that cheesy, but its a bit weird that we didn't hear the earlier chirps. This one must be much louder.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”