Hype your ripe snipes 'n' gripes

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

roband

Re: Pant Thread (because we need more panting)

Postby roband » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Yeah, it was more for myself than anything. Personal interest, rather than a business requirement

K-R

Postby K-R » Thu May 30, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

If I see the phrase 'suspension of belief' one more time...

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

suspension of belief

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu May 30, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:suspension of belief
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Suspension of beef?
Spoiler:
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Suspension of beef?
Spoiler:

suspension of beef
Spoiler:
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

suspension of belief?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Reminds me of a hypothesis I came up with: Mel Brooks movies are designed for enforcement, rather than suspension, of disbelief.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

I encountered someone on another website arguing that it's "problematic" for a man to fantasize about a woman without her consent. They are literally arguing that the mere act of imagining sex with an attractive stranger in the privacy of your own brain is harmful (if you're a man and the stranger is a woman), because it "normalizes an oppressive relationship" - namely, the idea that men have a right to women's bodies. Therefore it will inevitably color a man's future interactions with women in a negative way.

I feel like a straw anti-sex feminist has come to life and started posting online...
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Fri May 31, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

I realize that I'll never survive as an artist in any form because I can't stand having my art being associated with my real name... since I get extremely self-conscious. I suppose I'll stick to being a boring engineer.

And then the female parent was like, if you wait until you're emotionally mature to have kids, you might not be biologically prime anymore, so have them while you're biologically optimal!!! GREAT!!! THAT EXPLAINS A FUCKING LOT!!!!!!!!
Last edited by modularblues on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

When you order a sandwich with extra everything, you are not going to receive all the vegetables I have put on your sandwich. Seriously, how do you expect me to fit more vegetables and meat in your sandwich than the volume of the bread, and yet be able to successfully close it? I can't suspend my disbelief.

Don't sigh and act pissed at me because I didn't put enough of what you wanted. Ask for more instead of being passive-aggressive*. I will not be your enabler.

*funny because I said that, more than anything else

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:51 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:I encountered someone on another website arguing that it's "problematic" for a man to fantasize about a woman without her consent. They are literally arguing that the mere act of imagining sex with an attractive stranger in the privacy of your own brain is harmful (if you're a man and the stranger is a woman), because it "normalizes an oppressive relationship" - namely, the idea that men have a right to women's bodies. Therefore it will inevitably color a man's future interactions with women in a negative way.

I feel like a straw anti-sex feminist has come to life and started posting online...

I feel like it's impossible to stop heterosexual men from fantasizing about women in their head in general and it's basically a lost cause.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:35 am UTC

modularblues wrote:
setzer777 wrote:I encountered someone on another website arguing that it's "problematic" for a man to fantasize about a woman without her consent. They are literally arguing that the mere act of imagining sex with an attractive stranger in the privacy of your own brain is harmful (if you're a man and the stranger is a woman), because it "normalizes an oppressive relationship" - namely, the idea that men have a right to women's bodies. Therefore it will inevitably color a man's future interactions with women in a negative way.

I feel like it's impossible to stop heterosexual men from fantasizing about women in their head in general and it's basically a lost cause.

Regardless of feasibility, it can be discussed if the behaviour is actually problematic or not.

First of all, it's a bit ridiculous that they made it gendered. Do they think that people other than heterosexual men don't fantasise, or that it isn't problematic if they do it? Secondly, the reasoning seems to be the same as the one that says violent video games are bad because they cause people to kill people. Which is also stupid.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:46 am UTC

But. But. But women can do that about guys too. Or other women. Guys can do it about guys. I'm not seeing any patriarchal problems inherent in someone fantasising about someone else (regardless of the gender(s) of either person.

modularblues wrote:I feel like it's impossible to stop heterosexual men people from fantasizing about women other people in their head in general and it's basically a lost cause.

ftfy
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:48 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:

But. But. But women can do that about guys too. Or other women. Guys can do it about guys. I'm not seeing any patriarchal problems inherent in someone fantasising about someone else (regardless of the gender(s) of either person.

modularblues wrote:I feel like it's impossible to stop heterosexual men people from fantasizing about women other people in their head in general and it's basically a lost cause.

ftfy

I'm guessing the argument for that is "history of oppression". As per ushe.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Even with the history of oppression, I'm not seeing how it is an issue, provided people are able to properly make a distinction between fantasy and reality.
However, one could posit that the increasing interactivity of media, combined with the sheer volume of media we are exposed to and the relatively early age at which the exposure begins, is a contributing factor in the erosion of people's ability to separate what's acceptable in reality from what's acceptable within the confines of a fantasy scenario.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:Even with the history of oppression, I'm not seeing how it is an issue, provided people are able to properly make a distinction between fantasy and reality.
However, one could posit that the increasing interactivity of media, combined with the sheer volume of media we are exposed to and the relatively early age at which the exposure begins, is a contributing factor in the erosion of people's ability to separate what's acceptable in reality from what's acceptable within the confines of a fantasy scenario.

Even then I think the leap from "It's ok to fantasise about this" to "ergo, it's ok for me to actually do this" is still quite big.

Media that's created by other people is different in this aspect. The viewer doesn't know what is made up, and what isn't. If he creates the media himself, he does know what is made up and what isn't.

Constructed example:
Couple of movies use 'flashing your penis' as a working pick-up tactic --> "Hmm, if all those movies use it, there must be some truth in it."
A person fantasises that flashing penises is a working pick-up tactic --> "I know I invented this and have no basis to believe it's actually true."
You rang?

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

There's also the fact that under that claim it's "problematic" for a single straight guy to masturbate to the thought of *any* human being. Either that or women would start getting even more uncomfortable approaches from men as they ask for permission to imagine them naked.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:There's also the fact that under that claim it's "problematic" for a single straight guy to masturbate to the thought of *any* human being. Either that or women would start getting even more uncomfortable approaches from men as they ask for permission to imagine them naked.

"Hi, can I masturbate to the thought of you? I only need the answer to this question, won't bother you any further."
You rang?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:There's also the fact that under that claim it's "problematic" for a single straight guy to masturbate to the thought of *any* human being. Either that or women would start getting even more uncomfortable approaches from men as they ask for permission to imagine them naked.

Yeah, I don't think I'd really have any problem with someone masturbating whilst thinking about me. That said, if they came up to me and asked if they could, I would suddenly find that very awkward/problematic (assuming I'm not already romantically involved with this person).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

I agree it's non problematic.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Pant. Pant. Pant.

Stupid Human Beings are a kind of Monkey.
They 'have to' Spin around and fall down and stuff to develop The Brain.

What about people that are so fricken safe they never do that?
They walk or stumble from one room to another, from time to time.
They take off a A Wild adventure from The Car to the Resuraunt Door from time to time.

When not asleep some of our people are Mocking Murder on digital devices.
That is All some people do.

Is it Right and Good to keep a Monkey under such conditions?
No.
Is it Right and Good to keep a Human under such conditions?
No. There is one of the small problems with Freedom.

A man or woman is Free to treat themselves in Ways that are illegal to treat others.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

No, you cannot send me an email at 11 PM with 30 photos and tell me "you're a computer guy, erase these backgrounds for me." No, they cannot feasibly be done in any reasonable quality within 15 minutes. Yes, I will use the automated background removal tools I have with the overall sense of care as a child connecting-the-dots. I don't care that you shot it with your $5000 camera. You shot JPEG, so in many pictures I can't tell apart people's legs from their shadows and I can't do a thing about that. You used a ridiculously long shutter speed. Everything is blurred. You tried to get all artsy, but blurring people's outstretched hands don't make it any easier to cut them out. You took an angle that put people on backgrounds of crowds of people. You used a really bad lens with terrible chromatic aberration. Those purple fringes are not my fault.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Steax wrote:No, you cannot send me an email at 11 PM with 30 photos and tell me "you're a computer guy, erase these backgrounds for me." No, they cannot feasibly be done in any reasonable quality within 15 minutes. Yes, I will use the automated background removal tools I have with the overall sense of care as a child connecting-the-dots. I don't care that you shot it with your $5000 camera. You shot JPEG, so in many pictures I can't tell apart people's legs from their shadows and I can't do a thing about that. You used a ridiculously long shutter speed. Everything is blurred. You tried to get all artsy, but blurring people's outstretched hands don't make it any easier to cut them out. You took an angle that put people on backgrounds of crowds of people. You used a really bad lens with terrible chromatic aberration. Those purple fringes are not my fault.

yes.....yes.....let the hate flow through you.

in all seriousness, some people just have more money than sense. i take great photos with my rig i paid 800 new for, and am satisfied with that.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

addams wrote:....Mocking Murder on digital devices....

I think I got the rest of your post, but what does this refer to?

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

addams,

I'd like to think that I can get along with most people, but you're acting like a mother fucking asshole. pip pip old boy (cringe thinking of addams as a female). Are you all methed up? Why do you care so much about a silly thread? did you forget your tinfoil hat today? Don't worry,these folks will show you the way.
Spoiler:
trail guide.png

Spoiler:
Laughter is the best medicine
Last edited by The Cat on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:
addams wrote:....Mocking Murder on digital devices....

I think I got the rest of your post, but what does this refer to?

Video games, I think.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:46 am UTC

Zarq wrote:
"Hi, can I masturbate to the thought of you? I only need the answer to this question, won't bother you any further."

For extra effect, this should be whispered right next to the person's ear.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 am UTC

Rant time
Context: My room bedroom door is pretty much always closed, I expect people to knock first, but not massively bothered about it. Was my birthday the other day to, I was doing wtf I wanted to do, which was chatting on skype with a load of friends and playing some games. I live with several housemates all in 20's. It was ~11:30pm. On a scale of 1-10 of tiredness, I was like a 9.5, I was about to go to sleep anyway. I almost never get vocally aggressive with people about annoyances

So last night some of the housemates came singing happy birthday outside my room. Fine, whatever, they're free to do what they like. I was in the middle of a game, I was about to go to sleep, they know I'm not into birthdays and I didn't want to deal with that. They knocked several times, I didn't answer because they would just have to leave if I'm not paying attention. After a while they open my door and looked to come in, that's a little annoying. I went and closed it pretty firmly to make it obvious, then put a few items in front of it (No lock) to make sure it didn't just "fall open".

A couple of minutes go by with some more knocking, then one of my house mates (He's into spiritual stuff, peace, "good energy", yoga. So really chilled/friendly guy normally) forces the stuff behind the door out the way (Would require more than a light push) and walk in. I turn around and ask him if I gave him permission to come in and asked him to please leave. People make mistakes, I didn't say anything before, but still kind of annoying. Then he walks over and asks me if he can watch me playing, I say no and ask him "can you please leave". He waits around tapping me on my back saying he came to wish me a happy birthday, I said "Thanks, but can you please leave, I'm busy". He waits a little longer, and asks if he can watch again "as a friend".

Getting kind of annoyed at this point, I told him "A friend would respect a persons privacy and leave when requested".
He pats me on the back again and says "come on, I'm not leaving till I see a smile" and gets in my field of view (Pretty obnoxiously) while I'm playing. I told him "Are you serious? I kindly asked you to leave" after a little more talk I carried on "Seriously, don't make me throw you out". He wait around a little longer says some things. I told him again "Seriously, if you don't leave I will throw you out. Don't make me do that". He wait around a little longer says some more things so I say "Ok. Listen. I'm going to give you to the count of 10 and then you're going to force me to throw you out".
At this point I'd expect it to be abundantly clear to any reasonable person that, at the very least, now would be their queue to leave. I looked him in the eye and started slowly counting from 1 to 10, he stood near the door waiting, pretty much taunting. You don't just stand there while someone says that to you, you apologise and leave. At this point I was pretty damn annoyed, but I didn't think he would actually wait there. I slowed down on the last few counts just to make sure, but he was still standing there by 10; that left me livid. I grabbed him and physically threw him out my room (He's 6' 5" or so, but I made a point out of it. I'm a stocky 5'9 who's stronger and heavier)

I've never actually had to do that with house or my room. I'm still pretty pissed off about the principal of the matter. Then again, I live with these people, so I'm not sure what to do really. There's a difference been someone making a mistake then immediately apologising, and someone methodically annoying you by going out their way while ignoring excessively repeated and explicit requests to stop while not apologising. I'm lucky I was almost struggling to stay awake before otherwise I would never have got to sleep with that stress. I'm still so fucking annoyed about it, but I don't even know any more. I'm talk to him about it later (7am now, woke after 5hrs sleep from being so stressed). He's living in a house partly owned by me, none by him.

I know good intentions and all, but... fuck some people. I know so many other people who wouldn't have been remotely as polite about it given the premise of them not wanting someone in their room. There's only a hand full of things I expect out of people, they don't need to help me, they don't need to get me anything, hell, I even help them upon request... but respecting someone's privacy at repeated explicit request is a basic fucking minimum. I shouldn't have to explain this shit to people in their mid 20's. Fuck sake.

*sigh*

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am UTC

Ugh, that sounds awful.

Spoilered for unsolicited advice:
Spoiler:
Sounds like that guy needs to have privacy explained to him. Probably both the "privacy is important to me" bit and probably also something along the lines of "when I tell you to leave, I mean it. I am not reaching out for attention or wanting to be cheered up." and maybe a touch of "when it's my birthday, I get to decide how I want to celebrate. If I want to sleep that is okay."

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 am UTC

Yeah. I don't see why people lack so much perspective that they can't see someone else might want to do something they wouldn't. I made it excessively obvious precisely because I wanted to eliminate any ambiguity of different perspectives. It's ironic how the one day of the year that's "meant" to be focused around you actually forces you into doing particular things. It's never "Let's see what he wants to do", it's "I know what he wants, lets do this..."; this is especially pertinent when you know a persons interests are heavily miss-aligned with yours.

I'm not even that pissed off about the disruption, it's the principal of the matter. Games aren't that important to me, the friends that I was with understood when we lost because I had to deal with that, even adding that it's fine. There's no use getting annoyed about petty things, but attack on principles is worth being vocal about. If I see a person getting mugged, it's no loss to me to ignore it, but the principle of it is wrong, so I'd step in.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Dear Dell technical support:

My laptop arrived with internet that sporadically craps out and a screen that flashes pink every time it's not in it's little perfect spot. That sucked, but the first guy I talked to on the phone was really helpful, and sounded like they'd send round a technician really ASAP!

Since that first guy, however, I've had a guy who tried to get me to change a few wifi settings and then claim that that would fix the internet, completely ignoring everything I had said about what the technician from the original call thought and everything I told him about the nature of the problem. It was NOT fixed.

Now, I take the morning off work because you're going to send a technician round, I've told you however that I have to be back at work no later than 2 pm, and you know what? It's 10 am and the technician said he'd call between 9 and 10 before showing up at 10.30 to fix the computer. But he hasn't called. So I call the technician, and apparently he's sick. Cheers for letting me know. So he gives me the number of a new technician who might be able to fit me in today. This technician is also sick. But he'll try to organise something, though he doesn't let me know when anyone might call me back. So I call the company, but apparently 10.15 am on a weekday is outside of business hours, please call back during ordinary business hours, though they're not going to tell me if or when they actually have business hours.

Y'know Dell? You SUCK. Really suck.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

elminster wrote:Rant time
Context: My room bedroom door is pretty much always closed, I expect people to knock first, but not massively bothered about it. Was my birthday the other day to, I was doing wtf I wanted to do, which was chatting on skype with a load of friends and playing some games. I live with several housemates all in 20's. It was ~11:30pm. On a scale of 1-10 of tiredness, I was like a 9.5, I was about to go to sleep anyway. I almost never get vocally aggressive with people about annoyances

So last night some of the housemates came singing happy birthday outside my room. Fine, whatever, they're free to do what they like. I was in the middle of a game, I was about to go to sleep, they know I'm not into birthdays and I didn't want to deal with that. They knocked several times, I didn't answer because they would just have to leave if I'm not paying attention. After a while they open my door and looked to come in, that's a little annoying. I went and closed it pretty firmly to make it obvious, then put a few items in front of it (No lock) to make sure it didn't just "fall open".

A couple of minutes go by with some more knocking, then one of my house mates (He's into spiritual stuff, peace, "good energy", yoga. So really chilled/friendly guy normally) forces the stuff behind the door out the way (Would require more than a light push) and walk in. I turn around and ask him if I gave him permission to come in and asked him to please leave. People make mistakes, I didn't say anything before, but still kind of annoying. Then he walks over and asks me if he can watch me playing, I say no and ask him "can you please leave". He waits around tapping me on my back saying he came to wish me a happy birthday, I said "Thanks, but can you please leave, I'm busy". He waits a little longer, and asks if he can watch again "as a friend".

Getting kind of annoyed at this point, I told him "A friend would respect a persons privacy and leave when requested".
He pats me on the back again and says "come on, I'm not leaving till I see a smile" and gets in my field of view (Pretty obnoxiously) while I'm playing. I told him "Are you serious? I kindly asked you to leave" after a little more talk I carried on "Seriously, don't make me throw you out". He wait around a little longer says some things. I told him again "Seriously, if you don't leave I will throw you out. Don't make me do that". He wait around a little longer says some more things so I say "Ok. Listen. I'm going to give you to the count of 10 and then you're going to force me to throw you out".
At this point I'd expect it to be abundantly clear to any reasonable person that, at the very least, now would be their queue to leave. I looked him in the eye and started slowly counting from 1 to 10, he stood near the door waiting, pretty much taunting. You don't just stand there while someone says that to you, you apologise and leave. At this point I was pretty damn annoyed, but I didn't think he would actually wait there. I slowed down on the last few counts just to make sure, but he was still standing there by 10; that left me livid. I grabbed him and physically threw him out my room (He's 6' 5" or so, but I made a point out of it. I'm a stocky 5'9 who's stronger and heavier)

I've never actually had to do that with house or my room. I'm still pretty pissed off about the principal of the matter. Then again, I live with these people, so I'm not sure what to do really. There's a difference been someone making a mistake then immediately apologising, and someone methodically annoying you by going out their way while ignoring excessively repeated and explicit requests to stop while not apologising. I'm lucky I was almost struggling to stay awake before otherwise I would never have got to sleep with that stress. I'm still so fucking annoyed about it, but I don't even know any more. I'm talk to him about it later (7am now, woke after 5hrs sleep from being so stressed). He's living in a house partly owned by me, none by him.

I know good intentions and all, but... fuck some people. I know so many other people who wouldn't have been remotely as polite about it given the premise of them not wanting someone in their room. There's only a hand full of things I expect out of people, they don't need to help me, they don't need to get me anything, hell, I even help them upon request... but respecting someone's privacy at repeated explicit request is a basic fucking minimum. I shouldn't have to explain this shit to people in their mid 20's. Fuck sake.

*sigh*

i cringed while reading all of that, i live with people like this.

sometimes, i just wanna be alone also, i don't wanna talk, i don't wanna see people, just be alone. and its not necessarily from being depressed either, just a little alone time is good.

PencilStubs

Postby PencilStubs » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:39 am UTC

I can relate to elminster's birthday rant to a degree.

I really hate getting attention, especially on my birthday since I don't see any real reason to celebrate birthdays now that I'm not a kid anymore. I specifically asked my supervisor at an old job not to pass a birthday card around to get signatures from everyone, or buy a cake and have everyone sing "Happy Birthday" to me while presenting it, when I realized that was the tradition there for birthdays. I told her I would find the attention embarrassing, and she promised not to even mention my birthday.

So guess what she did when my birthday came around.

Unrelated Rant: My pharmacist keeps scolding me for not having a boyfriend. In response to me not being interested in going to a party for all the interns at my internship site because I'd never met any of them before (they worked at different times/days then me), my supervisor told me I need to be less shy if I ever want to find a husband.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:41 am UTC

... Your pharmacist is your 80-year-old grandmother?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 am UTC

If the internet has taught me anything about old ladies, then an 80 year old grandmother would just try to teach PencilStubs how to give blowjobs.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:I feel like a straw anti-sex feminist has come to life and started posting online...

There's a whole ecosystem out there, friend.

Here's one I really like.

You might also be interested in the "fat acceptance" or "thin privilege" spheres - often quite terribly shitty people.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

The amount of comments that are roughly either "If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" or "Who cares if they can see my dinner plans" in the comments section of every article about PRISM and the Verizon scandal are infuriating.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:37 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:The amount of comments that are roughly either "If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" or "Who cares if they can see my dinner plans" in the comments section of every article about PRISM and the Verizon scandal are infuriating.

The thing is it's really "if you've done nothing illegal" Right and wrong is another whole bucket of worms entirely and plenty of morally good or neutral actions are illegal thanks to antiquated bureaucratic law passers.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

And the flipside: Some things are perfectly legal, but people would still want to keep them a secret anyway.

--

Pant: An online game my friends play censors the word "gay". What the fuck.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Return to “General”