1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

westie

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby westie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Holy balls, it's still going. o_O

I hadn't looked at the forum in weeks. Bravo.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Why, oh why, can't I stop reading this thread and following this comic? I've been sucked into the vortex! I never can get tired of doing it because it is so essentially meaningless. If there were some reason to do it, if, say, reading the OTT saved lives, fed the hungry, sheltered the homeless, I absolutely would tire of it and drop it. But simply because there is no point at all in continuing, I can't seem to make myself stop. Oh, what shall I do? (anguished cry)

Heresy! The OTT is meaning! I sentence you to wear a rubber chicken upon your head for a period of not less than 3 newpix! after that, you can feed it to the hungry, I guess.

Who eats rubber chickens? I do not think even hungry people do that.

Hi Tatiana! Welcome to the fray cave!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Today's otherComic
Spoiler:
is interesting. I missed the joke since
Spoiler:
I missed Dr. Who altogether. But it requires knowledge of The Doctor and also knowledge of "Who's on First" which is a bit ancient now.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

Don't worry about it, I do watch Doctor Who, and know “Who's of first”, and still didn't get it. Image

I got the joke, but had to think for a second. the alt text, on the other hand, still has me stumped.

"Who's" on first, "What's" on second, "I Don't Know's" on third, "Why's" out in left field, "Because" is playing center, "Tomorrow" is pitching, "I Don't Care" is the shortstop - why not put some other players whose names were invented (from Madeleine L'Engle's brilliant A Wrinkle in Time, another great book to add to the OTT library) into the game?

It's all related - I've got tickets to the baseball game today. Nice weather for a day game.

ETA:
akacat wrote:I got it, but I threw it back.

To I Don't Know, I hope.
Last edited by fhorn on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I missed Dr. Who altogether. But it requires knowledge of The Doctor and also knowledge of "Who's on First" which is a bit ancient now.

Don't worry about it, I do watch Doctor Who, and know “Who's of first”, and still didn't get it. Image

I got the joke, but had to think for a second. the alt text, on the other hand, still has me stumped.

The alt text refers to A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, an amazing kids' book and one of a precious few I have held onto since I was little. (The others include The Phantom Tollbooth and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, both of which have come up in the OTT. Now I just need a sighting of Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH...)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:BTW, Dracomax, I wonder if as a dragon, you're capable of shifting into human form... because I've found a really interesting picture....

If only I had the skills! I should like to photoshop that wonderful picture so that the strange man nailed to the tree thing in the background was a stick figure, and the inquisitor was blue, further indicating that it might indeed by Dracomax.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Well, eventually, every pixel that could be chirped would be, and it'd start to loop.

We've been through this before. The chirpable pixels would not always be chirped in the same order, and would not necessarily lead to a loop (nor would it necessarily lead to a sequence of chirps in which the complete works of Chirpspeare could be found.) This is the case even when only two pixels are one pixel is chirpable, for in the chirpary number system there exist numbers that are neither rational nor normal. Numbers in the chirpary number system are quite similar to OTTers in that respect, but not necessarily similar to otters unless the otters are also OTTers.

Uh-oh, looks like someone has been designing PRNGs for digital computer systems :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

The alt text refers to A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, an amazing kids' book and one of a precious few I have held onto since I was little. (The others include The Phantom Tollbooth and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, both of which have come up in the OTT. Now I just need a sighting of Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH...)

Today's OtherComic is wonderful! And yes, Mrs Whatsit from "A Wrinkle in Time!" Though I must admit, I have not read all of L'Engle's work. I should take some Time and do that.

Now that you mention the Rats of NIMH, I wonder, does it bring to mind that they could be a possible explanation for some of the Molpy sightings?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Why, oh why, can't I stop reading this thread and following this comic? I've been sucked into the vortex! I never can get tired of doing it because it is so essentially meaningless. If there were some reason to do it, if, say, reading the OTT saved lives, fed the hungry, sheltered the homeless, I absolutely would tire of it and drop it. But simply because there is no point at all in continuing, I can't seem to make myself stop. Oh, what shall I do? (anguished cry)

Heresy! The OTT is meaning! I sentence you to wear a rubber chicken upon your head for a period of not less than 3 newpix! after that, you can feed it to the hungry, I guess.

Who eats rubber chickens? I do not think even hungry people do that.

Hi Tatiana! Welcome to the fray cave!

Some dogs really really try to eat rubber chickens. There probably are dogs that succeeded (probably to their great regret).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

akacat wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:approach-ONG
Spoiler:

edited to ask mscha. Where would a Doctor virgin begin? Normally I like to start at the beginning of stuff and blitz my way through. What is the best entry point for The Doctor? Thanks in advance.

Others may answer, of course.

Find something that gives you an overview of the Doctor's incarnations, pick one you like, and start there.

If you want to ever truly enjoy the Doctors of the original run (#1-7, from 1963-1989), I suggest starting with one of them at least briefly. Folks who start with New Who frequently can't acclimate to the higher cheese factor of Old Who.

Yes. This! I've only recently begun wading through Dr. Who myself and have started with the 2005 reboot. I'm definitely liking it, and it does have a certain twinkle of cheesy humor at times, but then I caught an old one from the early 70's and was overwhelmed by the cheesiness. It was like watching Babylon 5 or SG-1 or any newer well-done SciFi TV series and then watching Lost In Space and trying to connect the two.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Chirp chirp chirp chirp!

Spoiler:
Cake cake cake cake!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
akacat wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:approach-ONG
Spoiler:

edited to ask mscha. Where would a Doctor virgin begin? Normally I like to start at the beginning of stuff and blitz my way through. What is the best entry point for The Doctor? Thanks in advance.

Find something that gives you an overview of the Doctor's incarnations, pick one you like, and start there.

If you want to ever truly enjoy the Doctors of the original run (#1-7, from 1963-1989), I suggest starting with one of them at least briefly. Folks who start with New Who frequently can't acclimate to the higher cheese factor of Old Who.

Yes. This! I've only recently begun wading through Dr. Who myself and have started with the 2005 reboot. I'm definitely liking it, and it does have a certain twinkle of cheesy humor at times, but then I caught an old one from the early 70's and was overwhelmed by the cheesiness. It was like watching Babylon 5 or SG-1 or any newer well-done SciFi TV series and then watching Lost In Space and trying to connect the two.

Oh, I don't know. I thought the Robot in Lost in Space was a rather convincing Class M-3 Model B9, General Utility Non-Theorizing Environmental Control until. Very well portrayed :wink:

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:edited to ask mscha. Where would a Doctor virgin begin? Normally I like to start at the beginning of stuff and blitz my way through. What is the best entry point for The Doctor? Thanks in advance.

I'd probably start with the first modern series. Especially the early episodes serve as an introduction to a new audience, and there are some good stories in that series. (The double episode The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances is still one of my favourites.)
After that, it doesn't matter so much. Episodes are usually standalone (except for doubles), but there is usually an encompassing story line throughout the season, so probably watch a season in order.) And if you like 'em and plan on watching them all, I'd just watch all modern series in order.

Regarding the classic series, personally I haven't watched any of those since I was a kid and they were new. Not sure if I'd still consider them watchable, if I ever have loads of free time (and finished the backlog of things I still need to watch), I might give it a try myself.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Chirp chirp chirp chirp!

Spoiler:
Cake cake cake cake!

Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

OngotherChirp
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:edited to ask mscha. Where would a Doctor virgin begin? Normally I like to start at the beginning of stuff and blitz my way through. What is the best entry point for The Doctor? Thanks in advance.

I'd probably start with the first modern series. Especially the early episodes serve as an introduction to a new audience, and there are some good stories in that series. (The double episode The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances is still one of my favourites.)
After that, it doesn't matter so much. Episodes are usually standalone (except for doubles), but there is usually an encompassing story line throughout the season, so probably watch a season in order.) And if you like 'em and plan on watching them all, I'd just watch all modern series in order.

Regarding the classic series, personally I haven't watched any of those since I was a kid and they were new. Not sure if I'd still consider them watchable, if I ever have loads of free time (and finished the backlog of things I still need to watch), I might give it a try myself.

I started with 9. Some of the 4th doctor's stuff is execrable. most of it is vary, vary good, but a bit padded out due to the way that serials were done at the time.

5 is pretty generally awesome too. I enjoy what little I've seen of 2 over 3, who everyone else seems to like. 7 is close to modern in a lot of ways, while being completely different.

Really, it depends on what you enjoy, but while there are serials to avoid, most of the Doctors are eminently watchable, IMHO
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Got ninja'd. Megan slapping her head, I think. Or scratching, or something.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Chirp chirp chirp chirp!

Spoiler:
Cake cake cake cake!

Spoiler:

Chirp-chirp. Chirp chirp!

Spoiler:
Lovely. Thank you!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

[prediction]The raptor that's incoming from the right will snatch the chirlpy from the tree.[/prediction]

he/him/his

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Angelastic wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Well, eventually, every pixel that could be chirped would be, and it'd start to loop.

We've been through this before. The chirpable pixels would not always be chirped in the same order, and would not necessarily lead to a loop (nor would it necessarily lead to a sequence of chirps in which the complete works of Chirpspeare could be found.) This is the case even when only two pixels are one pixel is chirpable, for in the chirpary number system there exist numbers that are neither rational nor normal. Numbers in the chirpary number system are quite similar to OTTers in that respect, but not necessarily similar to otters unless the otters are also OTTers.

Uh-oh, looks like someone has been designing PRNGs for digital computer systems :mrgreen:

Actually, I had to google that acronym, though I recognised the phrase once I saw it. :) I've never done that (though I've designed lots of other things for digital computer systems) I've just heard of irrational numbers. Maybe the maths degree has something to do with it.

I think I get the Rats of NIMH and the Mouse and the Motorcycle confused; I'd been thinking they were in the same molpyverse. I don't remember much about A Wrinkle in Time, but I remember the teacher recommending it to me (or did she recommend Ursula LeGuin?), and I remember reading it (or being recommended it, while reading LeGuin, or vice versa?) while on a grass bank at some school sports event or other.

FWIW, watching the very first and very latest Doctor Who episodes and attempting to interpolate does not work very well.

BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl Buffalo buffalo BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl Chirp chirp! chirp chirp! Chirp, it's a chirp...
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

Chapter 10

The Pope and second scribe made rapid progress through the night, looking stunningly regal in the moonlight as their robes flowed in the rushing air, coconuts clomping away at a fast trot. The Pope led with confidence, having been this way many times before, and the second scribe struggled to keep up. They pressed on over the hills, past the big rock, past the pine log, and past the beet peel store, which the second scribe did not remember seeing on her way up. She asked the Pope about it as they went past, but couldn't quite hear the Pope's reply since they were riding so fast. She thought he said something about them selling beef and beer, and both of them sounded good to her, but not together. Beef pretty much requires a deep red wine; it's too bad they didn't pass any vineyards or the trip would have taken much longer! Although she was not used to riding coconuts and her backside was getting a little sore, she rode with a happy heart because they were going to get to the bottom of the mystery of macraw83's missing scroll.
Spoiler:
The Pope rode with purpose and determination, his mind focused on the grim possibility that there was someone in his clergy, or in the abbey where the Holy Records were kept, who had something to hide. Or perhaps worse, something to show. And so it never crossed his mind that here he was, sharing coconuts with a beautiful woman, over this vast empty tract of land under a brilliant starry night sky. And not just any beautiful woman, but the second scribe herself, one of the most brilliant of all his scribes. And so, they rode in silence, each wrapped up in their own thoughts, when an idea came to the Pope.

This was an unusual event, and the Pope slowed down to process it, and then finally stopped completely. As the second scribe caught up, the Pope looked over at her to tell her what he had just figured out. As he did, he noticed the hills behind her, with the first faint light of day framing them against the slight tinge of crimson that would soon be a glorious sunrise. The last of the moonlight played on the smooth features of her face, and the Pope forgot completely what it was he had thought of. The only sentiment that he had at that point was that he wished he weren't Pope, but could instead let go of his responsibilities and give way to wild abandon. That reverie was shortly broken by the second scribe's question, "is everything ok?"

The Pope could not tell her what had just passed through his mind, but with some effort he recovered his original cogitation. "We should reach the castle by daybreak", he said. "We must not be recognized." If there were treachery in the Holy Order, they would certainly not discover it as Pope and scribe. She understood, and took off her scarlet robe. The Pope took his own golden robe off and they exchanged clothes, each one turning the other's respective robe inside out. The Pope took off his mitre and carefully folded it and put it in his pack, and after making a few creative alteration to their raiment, both looked like ordinary timewaiters without much fashion sense as they galloped off on a pair of coconuts.

It wasn't long before the sun made itself known, and a little bit later, their castle came into view. It was a sight they would never forget - the sea had certainly done whatever it wanted. They both dismounted and stowed their coconuts, and the Pope fell to his knees. "Des unicaium verum auctor!", said the Pope under his breath. He bowed his head and started to say a prayer, but the second scribe stopped him. He wasn't supposed to be the Pope right now, and even though the beach was desolate, they couldn't take the chance. Prayer would have to wait. Moving quickly and carefully, the second scribe went straight for the Hall of Records while the Pope started wandering though the upper part of the empty castle. He didn't really know what he was looking for, but hoped he would recognize it when he found it.

The first thing he found sent a shiver through his gut. Around the corner was the sign for the Buffydashery, half off its hinges. He tested the door; it pushed open easily enough but it seemed to have been deserted for some time. There were hats all over the shop, in various states of construction, and the shelves were littered with skeins of wool thread, molpyhair, raptor feathers, beads, and many other things whose uses escaped him, but would probably make a really neat chapeau. He remembered the place as a bustling hive of constant activity, and although his own mitre was made by BlitzGirl herself, he couldn't help but wonder what it might have been like to have been fitted here. A sharp noise brought him back to reality and he turned quickly... just quickly enough to see a little girl flit though the corridor and disappear.

The place was not, in fact, empty.

The Pope considered giving chase, but that would only draw attention to himself, so he let it pass, instead casually walking in the direction in which he saw the child, and as he approached the spot, noticed something on the ground that the little girl had dropped. He recognized it just as soon as he picked it up. It was the Holy Arrow of Armageddon, one of the most powerful artifacts of the Order. Now, who was it that wanted it so badly a few dix ago, he tried to remember. Alas, as usual, nothing coherent came to mind, so he stuffed it under his robe (or rather, under the second scribe's robe he was wearing; he got a little thrill just thinking about that!), and moved on to the Fountain Room, where he met up again with the second scribe.

"I found these", she said, holding a handful of scrolls, "but the writing is hardly legible. Whoever wrote these was in a real hurry." The Pope picked one up... something about a flying cat. He looked at another one...it had a medallion of fire and said something about a taxi. Maybe? He pondered. Fire was the opposite of water, and water was in short supply.

The second scribe saw his puzzlement. "I don't know what it means either." At that moment, there was a great rushing sound, as if from the sea. And also at that moment, in the very far distance, the sound of a ram's horn came over the horizon. They looked at each other. Another BlitzGirl? That was impossible. Could the First Cleric have made an error? Well, that was not only possible, it was pretty much expected, he just hoped it would not be so soon. Scurrying out of the castle into the morning light, they listened again, but now all they could hear was a distant rhythmic drone, a little like rapid drumbeats, and the sea was, again, as it always was.

They strained their eyes in the direction of the thrumming, and the second scribe pointed out a glint in the distance that had not been there a moment ago. The Pope saw it next. They looked at each other and went off to see what it was. Twice as long as a person, and just about half as wide, it was making a low rhythmic sound that resembled "molpy molpy molpy..." The second scribe started brushing the sand off of it, with greater and greater excitement. "I know what this thing is", she exclaimed. "It's in the scrolls!" The Pope had never actually read the scrolls, so had no idea what the second scribe was saying. Perhaps he should have, but that's why he has scribes in the first place.

Her fingers felt an edge, and the top opened up like a giant molpyclam. Neither the Pope nor the second scribe had seen anything like it before. It appeared to have two huge tongues, which would make serviceable seats, and lots of other interior appendages. At least it wasn't slimy. "Get in!" she said, and hopped inside.

"Are you nuts?", screamed the Pope. He had heard stories about Jonah and did not feel like play-acting one of them out, especially while they were on an important mission, and were bereft of coma. "We have to get back soon, and it will take all day by coconut!"

"I'm not getting on those coconuts again", she insisted. "My rear feels like it's on fire. Besides, look what this is!"

"I don't care what it is, I'm not getting in!" shouted the Pope. All his fears of spiders, worms, snakes, and other creepy living things started rushing to his mind. He did not want to sit on a molpyclam tongue.

"It's the answer! It's what we've been looking for!", said the second scribe. "Get in or I'll pull you in!"

The Pope always liked strong women. He would love to just jump in right next to her, but really really wished that the insides of molpies were not involved. With great determination, he battled back the images of fuzzy arachnids and giant slimy slugs that had been building up in his mind, gritted his teeth, stepped in and sat down. It was rather comfortable, actually. The second scribe pulled the top shut, and it was pitch dark. The second scribe started speaking: "I read about these in the ancient legends but never believed they were real. I'm pretty sure I can do this.

"Pretty sure?", thought the pope. "Do this?", he thought. "What have I just gotten into?", he thought he thought, but it actually came out of his mouth in words.

The inside of the cabin came alive with lights, some flashing, some steady in different colors, and what appeared to be windows in front of them showed a surreal shadow picture. The second scribe pointed to a label to the Pope's right. "It's a BlitzRocket", she said. "I don't know what it does, but I know I can make it do what it does."

"How do you know?", squeaked the Pope.

The second scribe looked at him. "I don't know how I know", she replied, and the Pope knew that that was the right answer. She, truly, was a Holy Contradiction. Either he was going to kill this girl, or marry her.

She touched something in front of her, and the rhythmic pulse became more rapid and more insistent, which brought back more images of crawly things to the Pope's brain. But there was no question she seemed to know what she was doing. Her left hand slipped naturally into the control glove, and she moved it ever so slightly. The noise increased, the BlitzRocket shuddered, and it began to rise slowly. As the image outside the window started to move, one by one the lights stopped flashing and fell into in a steady pattern, one that made no sense to the Pope, but he hoped would communicate something useful to the second scribe. He decided that he would just as soon just concentrate on the "molpy" rhythm than anything else, and at that moment the sound changed to something much more high pitched. The word "grapevine" came to the Pope's mind as the second scribe reached forward with her free hand.

She pushed the red button.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 762) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next (NP 805)-->
Last edited by ucim on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Obviously I'm not so good with writing as The Guy from the Post Above, so I'm open to suggestions.
Anyway, here is The Last Time Waiter, chapters 1 (reformatted edition) & 2:

Chapter 1: The Clock Ticks
Spoiler:
The Order of the Time Waiters was deeply worried. Their numbers had been decreasing at an alarming rate, and soon there would be too few of them to perform all the work that had to be done. The leaders of the many sects of the Order had been convened to discuss the issue.

Pope Helper the First wrote:As all of you should be aware of already, we are currently losing many of our members to Time, and our efforts to replenish our numbers have failed catastrophically.

Pope Helper was standing up at the head of the table. Being the first leader of the first sect, she was respected by most of the other leaders.

Arch-Cardinal buffygirl wrote:As you said, Pope Helper, we are well aware of the issue. Do you have any solutions?

Arch-Cardinal buffygirl was responsible for the Buffydashery, which provided hats for all those who deserved it. Through in theory she was under direct command from the Pope, her power over the people would cause a problem for anyone trying to overpower her.

Pope Helper the First wrote:Unfortunately, Arch-Cardinal, I do not have. However, I heard that the Archduchess here does.

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl, Archduchess of Time, BlitzGirl the First, Blitzrandir, et cetera, was an inspiration for every Time Waiter. Her Pilgrimage through the One True Thread encouraged many others to follow her steps, for she demonstrated it was possible.

Arch-Cardinal buffygirl wrote:Is that true, BlitzGirl?

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed it is, Arch-Cardinal buffygirl. I've been told that in Halcyon lives an Engineer, who has done many great and persistent things. I was wondering that maybe we could ask him to build us something capable of, in the long run, make sure Time is properly recorded and documented, even after we cease to exist.

Arch-Cardinal buffygirl wrote:You mean, capable of replacing us. That is heresy!

Pope Helper the First wrote:Have you finally hit the bottom of madness, BlitzGirl? Are you really suggesting replacing humans with a… a… machine?

Archduchess BlitzGirl wrote:I understand your reluctance, brothers and sisters. For a long time I conflicted myself with these thoughts. But we must remember that no living being can resist to the effects of Time itself. If one is to fully document Time, one can not belong to the realm of the living.

Minutes of silence went by, until it was broken by the Arch-Cardinal.

Perfect Milliner buffygirl wrote:Very well. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I believe we must follow the Archduchess' plan.

And so the quest for Halcyon began.

Chapter 2: Ambush
Spoiler:
It had been nine days since the Order's party departed to Halcyon, and they felt as closer to their destination as to the Great Lord Randall. The knights were tired; the people, hopeless; the leaders, faithful.

The party was now at the border of a huge forest. It seemed to be a tough route, and the knights were discussing if it wouldn't be better if they traveled around the jungle instead of going through it, when suddenly an arrow came out of nowhere and hit Archduchess BlitzGirl's shoulder, making her fall from her molpyraptor.

buffygirl wrote:FIND THE ENEMY!

buffygirl (to the Archduchess) wrote:Is it bad? How are you feeling?

BlitzGirl wrote:I'll be fine. Ugh (takes the arrow out). But something tells me this isn't over yet.

In fact, just as this last word was spoken, a cloud of arrows covered the sky. The only voice heard before the buzzing of the arrows interrupted everything screamed:

someone wrote:Protect the Pope!

BlitzGirl managed to open a time vortex and escape just in time. A shield quickly appeared around the Pope's transport. Poor buffygirl seemed to be defenseless, but miraculously, she came out with no damages whatsoever. Because at the exact moment a violet light filled the sky and the sound of an explosion was heard. When the light dissipated, there were no signs of arrows anywhere. buffygirl noticed a shadowy figure riding a raptor between the trees. She smiled.

someone wrote:Is everyone alright?

someone else wrote:It seems so. What, in name of Lord Randall, happened?

stranger wrote:We heard about your coming.

Everyone turned to the right, where a stranger with strange clothes was now standing.
stranger wrote:If you're all set, we must go now, and I'll explain everything on our way. Lets go, Halcyon awaits!

Chapter 3: Halcyon Days
Spoiler:
Thanks to a kind of magical carriage that ran on metallic roads and achieved speeds far greater than anything imaginable, the trip to Halcyon was relatively quick. The city was unlike any other anyone in the Party (except by buffygirl, who had been at a similar place before) had ever seen: the buildings, made of metal and glass, seemed to reach the sky; there were no signs of undomesticated molpies or raptors anywhere; the city's walls involved the entire mountain on which it was based off. The Party was transfixed.

Halcyon was a City of Engineers; together with Nublar (the City of Artisans) and Arkhmud (the Gateway City), as well as some minor cities, it formed the Northern Lights, the greatest center of technological knowledge and advancement known. Such was their power that the Northern Lights could very well control the entirety of the known world, if they ever wanted to, and no one would oppose. Fortunately, the citizens of the Lights weren't of an expansive mentality; as long as you let them live in peace, they wouldn't burn you to death with a light amplifier.

man wrote:I believe that you are the party coming from the South?

The deep, low voice of the man (if that being was indeed human) startled the Knight Temporal.
BlitzGirl wrote:Y… yes, we are. We came to meet with Mr. O'Connor, the so-called Engineer of Infinity.

man wrote:Oh, I see. A business meeting, I presume?

Pope Helper the First wrote:Yes. A project essential to the continued survival of the Time Waiters.

man wrote:Well, it's not difficult to find him. In fact, he lives and works above that rock.

The man pointed to a structure, located above a gigantic block of solid rock, that looked more as a military facility than as a house.

The Party parked their molpyraptors next to a nearby gate and followed to the Engineer's home. As soon as they got to what seemed to be the facility's main gate, a voice greeted them from behind:
The Engineer wrote:You're late.

Chapter 4: The Engineer
Spoiler:
The interior of the Facility seemed to be as big as the rock upon which it had been built. The Archduchess and the Engineer led the way, having a very animated conversation; a couple meters apart from them, the rest of the Party followed.

They were now crossing a large and very lengthy glass corridor situated above the ground floor, from which was possible to see all the ⅓ of the building that was owned by Mr. O'Connor. Small flying robots went to and fro around them, making buzzing noises and emitting various colors. On the ground, whiteboards, bookshelves and industrial equipment filled the space in well-organized lines. At the far end of the hallway, it was possible to see a bright, blue light emanating from some big device.

The Arch-Cardinal buffygirl was feeling slightly uncomfortable being out of the discussion, so she quickened her pace so she could hear the two ahead of her.

The Engineer wrote:…simplicity is the key to endurance. The less components, the less points of failure a device has, combined with an appropriate design and assembly process and specifically-crafted materials, the longer a device is able to function without requiring any kind of maintenance. Speaking of which, we are currently researching self-repairing systems; the biggest problem, of course, is: who maintains the self-maintenance systems?

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:From your description, I believe such a system would be essential for our project.

The Engineer wrote:Indeed it would be. It will require levels of reliability never before attained.

The Engineer stopped on his tracks.
The Engineer wrote:And we are honored on being offered such an important enterprise. And we'll be glad to accept it.

BlitzGirl broadened her usual smile.
Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:It's very good to hear that, Mr. O'Connor.

The Engineer wrote:You must be aware that, as we don't have all required technology yet, I can't promise you a delivery date. It may take a few years.

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:Better than never. We can wait for it.

The Engineer wrote:Very well then.

The Engineer then touched a strange device on his right ear.
The Engineer (broadcasting) wrote:Attention all personnel: rescheduling meeting in two one echo minus three.

---

The Engineer wrote:I've called all of you here because, effective immediately, we are going to redirect all our efforts to a new project, dubbed Mar Mojot. Mar Mojot's objective is to develop a fully autonomous, human-like intelligence, capable of self-diagnostic and self-repair, as well as a equally maintainable support body. The expected lifetime for project Mar Mojot is, well… as long as we can make it.

a young, red haired female human wrote:This will require research on areas we never ventured into, and we have so many good projects going on already… I don't know if it's worth the risk.

The Engineer wrote:You will never see the light if you refuse to leave shade, Khayla. We could, yes, refuse this proposal, but I'm not called the Engineer of Eternity without reason. They need me. They need us.

Khayla lowered her head, disappointment and sadness irradiating from her eyes.
The Engineer wrote:I know how important your projects are to you. And I promise you, we'll find a way to keep them going. Together.

She looked to the Engineer. Her smile was everything he needed.
Khayla wrote:Thank you.

O'Connor wrote:With this solved, does anyone have any other objections?

The silence was terrifying.
The Engineer wrote:I'll take that as a no. Khayla, Theresa, James, you'll stay. All the others are dismissed.

O'Connor gave BlitzGirl an affirmative glance, after which she turned to her peers. She was smiling as never before.

Chapter 5: Not Exactly What I Had in Mind
Chapter 6: It Lives!
Chapter 7: Record, Understand, Consider
Chapter 8: You Can't Fail
Chapter 9: Magnum Opus (possibly the same as The Apprentice, or right after it)
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:07 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Yay! Fresh Acts of the Clerics and The Last Time Waiter!
Parked in separate tabs for when I get a chance to read them without Outside distractions...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

On Dr. Who, I would recommend starting with 4. Most of his episodes were written or partially written or at least flavored by Douglas Adams, though one or two of them were indeed execrable. Then I would completely skip 5 and 6, and pick back up with 7. I haven't watched any after that, but I hear 10 is very good. The cheesiness of the early shows is part of the fun. Learn to love it.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

All this Time Literature makes me want to write some myself, but the plot bunnies are reluctant to give ideas. Sigh...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:I think I get the Rats of NIMH and the Mouse and the Motorcycle confused; I'd been thinking they were in the same molpyverse. I don't remember much about A Wrinkle in Time, but I remember the teacher recommending it to me (or did she recommend Ursula LeGuin?), and I remember reading it (or being recommended it, while reading LeGuin, or vice versa?) while on a grass bank at some school sports event or other.

I must know, how do you mix up Ralph and Mrs. Frisby? :mrgreen:

I never did read the The Left Hand of Darkness, but I did very much enjoy the Earthsea series.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

UKL is great! I've read almost everything she's written multiple times. She's 82 or 83 now but her latest stuff is the best yet. Try the Annals of the Western Shore trilogy (Gifts, Voices, Powers). They are wonderful. She's the only fantasy writer (that I've read) other than Tolkien who makes her worlds feel truly real.*

*I generally don't read much fantasy because it bugs me when the universe doesn't seem real.

**If anyone wants to friend me on Goodreads, here's my profile. http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/180908-tatiana

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

westie wrote:Holy balls, it's still going. o_O

I hadn't looked at the forum in weeks. Bravo.

Yes, Holy Time balls, though I think they rolled out of the cave. We're a tribe in a cave now, did you know? Did nobody tell you?

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:UKL is great! I've read almost everything she's written multiple times. She's 82 or 83 now but her latest stuff is the best yet. Try the Annals of the Western Shore trilogy (Gifts, Voices, Powers). They are wonderful. She's the only fantasy writer (that I've read) other than Tolkien who makes her worlds feel truly real.*

*I generally don't read much fantasy because it bugs me when the universe doesn't seem real.

Indeed, one of the greats! "Always Coming Home" is one of my "every year or so" reads. Also some wonderful interviews with her on YT.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:*I generally don't read much fantasy because it bugs me when the universe doesn't seem real.

Wait until you find a glitch mustard.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

SwoopONG

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

The raptor is going to eat the chirlpy!
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

... Those with weak stomachs may wish to divert their eyes the next NewPix.
*Insert witty comment*

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:The raptor is going to eat the chirlpy!

Or mate with it.

ETA: EraObserver's comment still applies

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Chirpy chirp chirp chirping chirply chirps chirp and chirpliest chirpy chirps.

Re: Doctor Who...
An ex of mine had all of the Tom Baker episodes on VHS (he collected them) and that was my first introduction to the show ever. They're also the only Doctor Who episodes I've ever seen. People keep telling me to watch the newest ones, I just haven't yet. I should do that sometime.. along with Battlestar Gallactica, which I also haven't yet started. There's too much to do! Like Time strolling.

BlueCrab wrote:
From Valarya's sig: Molpy D. Dactyl
Spoiler:
This is now the official name of the bearodactyl in my head. WARNING: The other end of that link is definitely NSFW! It contains profanity, aerial pterodactyl defecation, graphic cartoon sex, violence, and probably political incorrectness. It's also hilarious, and if you're very, very brave, there's a music video. Seriously, only if you're very brave indeed.

Hah, lovely! I expected it to be much more NSFW than you alluded to. Since it's just the Oatmeal comic, and thus in cartoon, it's totally safeable for scrollable laughing at work. IMO :)

Tatiana wrote:I generally don't read much fantasy because it bugs me when the universe doesn't seem real.

I pretty much only read fantasy because the worlds aren't real. :wink:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

If the topic is cheezy sci-fi shows, may I suggest Space 1999? Hokey mystical plots, wooden acting, although the miniature work in it is par excellence.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
Tatiana wrote:UKL is great! I've read almost everything she's written multiple times. She's 82 or 83 now but her latest stuff is the best yet. Try the Annals of the Western Shore trilogy (Gifts, Voices, Powers). They are wonderful. She's the only fantasy writer (that I've read) other than Tolkien who makes her worlds feel truly real.*

Indeed, one of the greats! "Always Coming Home" is one of my "every year or so" reads. Also some wonderful interviews with her on YT.

A few of us on GR decided to read Always Coming Home together. I was the only one who finished. That seems to happen to me a lot on book clubs and group reads.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

I've had UKL's Earthsea Saga on my to-read list for about a year or so, just haven't gotten around to it. Since you both seem to like her so much - do you suggest I dive in to these?

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

@ucim - parenthesis
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:And finally, Vytron said something that must be fixed:

))))))))))))))))
Are you sure you counted right?

Yes.

... Why?

And that's all.

Bye-bye, chirlpy. *waves sadly*

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

It's a mommy-molpy-chirpy bringing snacks for zee baby.

Valarya-Definitely read the Earthsea trilogy.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Regarding UKL, I agree that The Left Hand of Darkness is an important work, and it is definitely something that should be on the reading list of anyone with a passing interest in speculative fiction. Or feminism. Or, frankly, books. On the other hand, I've always struggled quite a bit with The Dispossessed. But my favorite of her works is a short story, even though I don't usually like short stories. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" -- if you haven't read it, take the Time and do so.

Regarding the OTC, I'm inclined to think that may be a chirparent flying in, rather than a chirpredator. Although, if it's the latter, we can have our own Red Birding episod... er, newpix.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”