1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Febrion

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Febrion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:-- Cool story:
My favorite co-worker, whom I discuss books, shows, video games, comics, everything with.. just IM'd me to say (and I quote): Did you know that XKCD time was still going?

Wouldn't it be fun if ALL of us on the OTT were able to send your friend e-mail, saying how you have been an active and recognized participant in the international xkcd Time community for the past 2+ months, you had multiple titles bestowed upon you, etc., and "where the heck have you (meaning your friend) been this whole Time???" :-)

Wait, so the comic is still updating? I thought we were all still here just for the stimulating14 company!

14boobies
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:I've had UKL's Earthsea Saga on my to-read list for about a year or so, just haven't gotten around to it. Since you both seem to like her so much - do you suggest I dive in to these?

YES! :mrgreen: And do try and ignore the miniseries or the Studio Ghibli movie version - one of their low points, unfortunately. I heard the mini-series was "not bad," but definitely do not see before reading the series itself.

Hey, what did I say about the recommending of books here at xkcd forums?

Yes, that's right. It's awesome!

This made me realize that I have The Earthsea Quartet in my bookshelf. I got it for christmas from my brother in... [looks] Oh, in 2009! Was it that long ago? About time I start reading it, then. ;)

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

So before Megball left, they had never heard of trees, birds, or other rivers, but they had heard of snakes, camps, and castles. Just WHAT is going on here?!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Understandable. I still find myself much too light in my curmudgeonosity, although (according to the 2010 US Census numbers on world population) I am older than over 79% of the population on the planet. I still find myself suffering from occasional twinges of youthful optimism.

I hope it will eventually pass. That old rockin' chair looks mighty comfy, and I do love me a rousin' game of checkers...

Checkers? Well now, I've got this deck here. They're called cards and I've heard you can play this game, poker, I think its called. Friendly game. 'course I don't know too much about it, my friend. We could try to work it out. How much did you say your pension check is? No, jus' askin'. Got a coupla friends who might join in.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
mikrit wrote:Elderly, shmelderly!
This is my first day as
quinquagenarian.
How can it be?

Welcome to the club, dude.)

Happy Birthday!!! And -- fellow quinquagenarian, here, too! Glad to have you join us. And don't worry -- it's not so old, it's not like you just... you know... umm... I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten what I was saying. Now then, where's my shawl and comfy chair? Time for my next nap!

Hrrrrumphh. Dam' youngsters. Time y'all grew up a bit. You'll have to wait a good while before there's room on the porch. Sorry.

Understandable. I still find myself much too light in my curmudgeonosity, although (according to the 2010 US Census numbers on world population) I am older than over 79% of the population on the planet. I still find myself suffering from occasional twinges of youthful optimism.

I hope it will eventually pass. That old rockin' chair looks mighty comfy, and I do love me a rousin' game of checkers...

I had a disturbing thought the other day - I just realized that I am now actually older than my parents were in all of my childhood memoriesnegative four... Horrifying...

negative fourI am now the same age that my parents were when I graduated high school

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Raptor Leave-ONG
Spoiler:

Ummm. No. The wee one gave the big one a secret message to carry back to Mordor.

My Latest Soon-to-be-proven-wrong Prediction of the NewPix: This mention of food will prompt Cuegan to realize they are hungry again, and this time berries just won't cut it:

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:negative fourI am now the same age that my parents were when I graduated high school

Ditto, except substitute(parents/grandparents)
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Checkers? Well now, I've got this deck here. They're called cards and I've heard you can play this game, poker, I think its called. Friendly game. 'course I don't know too much about it, my friend. We could try to work it out. How much did you say your pension check is? No, jus' askin'. Got a coupla friends who might join in.

Gosh! "Poker", huh? Never heard of it, but it sounds like fun... But I don't know much about cards and stuff. Are you sure you guys want to play with me???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Ummm. No. The wee one gave the big one a secret message to carry back to Mordor.

Sure would help if either C or M were a warg, and could follow the .. whattyacallit molbirdraptirel as if flies off to do whatever it's gonna do.

Hmm.. Life is like a hidden sequence of hashed pngs. You never know what image you're going to get.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:So before Megball left, they had never heard of trees, birds, or other rivers, but they had heard of snakes, camps, and castles. Just WHAT is going on here?!

They only have knowledge of words with a k-sound in them?

StratPlayer wrote:My Latest Soon-to-be-proven-wrong Prediction of the NewPix: This mention of food will prompt Cuegan to realize they are hungry again, and this time berries just won't cut it

You're suggesting the imminent use of a trebuchet?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Gosh! "Poker", huh? Never heard of it, but it sounds like fun... But I don't know much about cards and stuff. Are you sure you guys want to play with me???

Name the source: "Is this a game of chance?" "Not the way I play it, no..."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

My Latest Soon-to-be-proven-wrong Prediction of the NewPix: This mention of food will prompt Cuegan to realize they are hungry again, and this time berries just won't cut it:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Name the source: "Is this a game of chance?" "Not the way I play it, no..."

My pre-research answer is W.C. Fields. Maybe I'll get up offen' the rocker and go check that google thingy.

Bingo. My Little Chickadee. (appropriate in this context, I guess).

Bingo, however IS a game of chance.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

So, Roast Dinosaur? I think they might prefer dinosaur soup.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:So before Megball left, they had never heard of trees, birds, or other rivers, but they had heard of snakes, camps, and castles. Just WHAT is going on here?!

We do not know.

We must wait for it

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Oh, hello voices. I thought maybe you all had left
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" and Poker

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

I believe that courts in the U.S. have ruled that poker is not, in fact, a game of chance. This distinguishes it from, for example, blackjack.

Once you understand that the purpose of poker is not to win the hand, but to win the money, you will start to get the idea. Poker played for bottlecaps IS a game of chance, unless you have a fetish. :twisted:
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

So, Roast Dinosaur? I think they might prefer dinosaur soup.

Well, there's the Dinosaur Nest Soup, coveted and paid exorbitantly for in Asia. It's mainly made from dinosaur spit (*gack*). But not quite the same as dinosaurs on the spit, like my earlier image showed.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

The campsite needs to deal with snakes but not birds and is at the base of a castle. We are watching a universe not too dissimilar from ours. Or something.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Image

If the small loud one is a baby, does that make the big one a caffeinatedsemencancercoffeechilpyraptor?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

If the "loud one" is the fledgling, then the "quiet chirps" they heard before were from the adult? Or is it just (now-typically) awkwardly worded?

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:Regarding UKL, I agree that The Left Hand of Darkness is an important work, and it is definitely something that should be on the reading list of anyone with a passing interest in speculative fiction. Or feminism. Or, frankly, books. On the other hand, I've always struggled quite a bit with The Dispossessed. But my favorite of her works is a short story, even though I don't usually like short stories. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" -- if you haven't read it, take the Time and do so...

The Dispossessed and The Left Hand of Darkness were both written around 1970. They reflect that time. The Left Hand of Darkness was the better book at the time, but both were excellent. What is striking, however, is that The Left Hand of Darkness is still relevant, whereas The Dispossessed has not aged in the same way.

k.bookbinder wrote:
Valarya wrote:I've had UKL's Earthsea Saga on my to-read list for about a year or so, just haven't gotten around to it. Since you both seem to like her so much - do you suggest I dive in to these?

YES! :mrgreen: And do try and ignore the miniseries or the Studio Ghibli movie version - one of their low points, unfortunately. I heard the mini-series was "not bad," but definitely do not see before reading the series itself.

I would characterize the mini-series as "not disappointing". But it does not measure up to the books.

The Earthsea trilogy is a fun read for adults, but it is young adult fiction. The Left Hand of Darkness is written for an adult audience (but is a great read for young adults).
Last edited by mathrec on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Babyloud
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

WONG GET FOOLED AGAIN
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

thirds wrote:If the "loud one" is the fledgling, then the "quiet chirps" they heard before were from the adult? Or is it just (now-typically) awkwardly worded?

The quite chirps were loud chirps from farther away, no?
Go Minim go!

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
thirds wrote:If the "loud one" is the fledgling, then the "quiet chirps" they heard before were from the adult? Or is it just (now-typically) awkwardly worded?

The quite chirps were loud chirps from farther away, no?

That's what I meant by "awkwardly worded". Why make such a distinction of "the loud one"? As far as we had seen, only the fledgling had chirped (until now).

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:-- Cool story:
My favorite co-worker, whom I discuss books, shows, video games, comics, everything with.. just IM'd me to say (and I quote): Did you know that XKCD time was still going?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Does your co-worker go by westie?
westie wrote:Holy balls, it's still going. o_O

I hadn't looked at the forum in weeks. Bravo.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:Regarding UKL, I agree that The Left Hand of Darkness is an important work, and it is definitely something that should be on the reading list of anyone with a passing interest in speculative fiction. Or feminism. Or, frankly, books. On the other hand, I've always struggled quite a bit with The Dispossessed. But my favorite of her works is a short story, even though I don't usually like short stories. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" -- if you haven't read it, take the Time and do so.

Regarding the OTC, I'm inclined to think that may be a chirparent flying in, rather than a chirpredator. Although, if it's the latter, we can have our own Red Birding episod... er, newpix.

The Left Hand of Darkness - I read it when it first came out and was blown away. I read it again many years later and found it a little dated. Not sure why, because the issues, as you say, are still relevant.

"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" - This is the story that I summarize to myself and others whenever certain ethical points come up.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"

I prefer the original: "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelets". I can identify with that.
Last edited by thirds on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

thirds wrote:That's what I meant by "awkwardly worded". Why make such a distinction of "the loud one"? As far as we had seen, only the fledgling had chirped (until now).

"Loud one" as opposed to the "quiet one", i.e. not chirping? Doesn't really sound that strange to me...
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

And now there are two molpychirps in the tree. It won't be long now until my prediction comes true and the whole tree is filled with chirps...

Great fiction installments, Jose and AluisioASG! I thought the BlitzRocket was awesome, and got a little worried for me when I was struck by an arrow (I seem to be doing okay, though).

Angelastic wrote:BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl Buffalo buffalo BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl BlitzGirl Chirp chirp! chirp chirp! Chirp, it's a chirp...

Hurrah, I have achieved molpy molpy molpy molpy status! :mrgreen:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
thirds wrote:That's what I meant by "awkwardly worded". Why make such a distinction of "the loud one"? As far as we had seen, only the fledgling had chirped (until now).

"Loud one" as opposed to the "quiet one", i.e. not chirping? Doesn't really sound that strange to me...

If there were two cars in your field of vision, one parked and one speeding by, would you refer to the moving one as "the fast one"?

Not to mention that in the most recent frame, the adult is apparently louder than the fledgling.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
ttscp wrote:"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"

I prefer the original: "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelets". I can identify with that.

It turns out I am one of the ones who walk away from Omelas if the circumstances are right. A baconcaffeinatedcancerbabyonice omelet is something else. Much harder.

ETA: clarify meaning
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I wonder whether
1) we will get another half-frame-shift when Cuegan eventually continue their journey,
2) we will get another half-tree, or
3) GLR will make Cuegan go back, to avoid 1 or 2.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

At the risk of sounding heretical, it is beginning to seems like there has been a lot of Newpixes given to the ChirpyRaptors. I am hoping that something does come of this, because, so far, "CHIRP" only seems to mean a...

Spoiler:
Complete Halt In Randall's Plot

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
I wonder whether
1) we will get another half-frame-shift when Cuegan eventually continue their journey,
2) we will get another half-tree, or
3) GLR will make Cuegan go back, to avoid 1 or 2.

I also thought the half-tree was odd, maybe forebearing. I was thinking it would be number 1.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:At the risk of sounding heretical, it is beginning to seems like there has been a lot of Newpixes given to the ChirpyRaptors. I am hoping that something does come of this, because, so far, "CHIRP" only seems to mean a...

Spoiler:
Complete Halt In Randall's Plot

His will is ineffable, damnit! Should the GLR, Creator of Time, wish to make us wait for it even more than we usually wait for it, and give us mere chirps to contemplate, then so be it, for that is his will.

Clever acronym, though. Bravo. :D

Now, where did Dracomax go with that new batch of Reese's Pieces? You're in for it now StratPlayer. I hope there are leftovers when he's done pelting you. My own stash of M&Ms is dwindling...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

thirds wrote:I also thought the half-tree was odd, maybe forebearing.

It's bearing leaves, but there are many more than four.

However, it is foreshadowing, although we can't see the back half to know if it's back-shadowing too. It might be leafless on that side...

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

What is this thing on the right?

1864_what.png

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:I also thought the half-tree was odd, maybe forebearing.

It's bearing leaves, but there are many more than four.

However, it is foreshadowing, although we can't see the back half to know if it's back-shadowing too. It might be leafless on that side...

All these puns need to make like a tree, and get out of here1

1It's all related

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:What is this thing on the right?

1864_what.png

A tree. Oh, you mean the red circle? That's a red circle.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”