1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:What is this thing on the right?

1864_what.png

A tree. Oh, you mean the red circle? That's a red circle.

The thing inside the red circle doesn't exactly look like the other trees, and not just because it's smaller. I looks more like KarMann's avatar.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Stop. Stop the chirp-ONG
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Montov wrote:

1864_what.png

A tree. Oh, you mean the red circle? That's a red circle.

More of an ellipse, really.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Did he expect them to be silent?
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

Ketchirp!

@todays other comic:
I got the alt text but not the actual comic :P
A wrinkle in time is a great book, and so are all the other books in the series that I've read. Some of them are almost completely unrelated though.
@chirpy family:
They are both loud now. Like molpy like son.
@making these @something lines in blue:
How do you people do that?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(I) got a little worried for me when I was struck by an arrow (I seem to be doing okay, though).

I wouldn't be so worried...
BlitzGirl (with the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger) wrote:I'll be fine.
(takes the arrow out)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

thirds wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
I wonder whether
1) we will get another half-frame-shift when Cuegan eventually continue their journey,
2) we will get another half-tree, or
3) GLR will make Cuegan go back, to avoid 1 or 2.

I also thought the half-tree was odd, maybe forebearing. I was thinking it would be number 1.

It's happened a few times before, that some plant life was cut off, and not present at all at the next frame, even as recently as two scenes ago (from 1835 to 1836). No reason to assume it won't happen again.

Whatever it is, it ain't moving. So no molpy.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

I think there will be a zoom in and Time will follow the life of the birds.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

In a parallel universe, there is a version of Time that does indeed follow birds-that-we-don't-like-calling-birds instead of Cuegan:
Spoiler:

I wonder if, when Cuegan uses the word "loud," they actually mean "noisy"?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Chapter 10

The Pope and second scribe made rapid progress through the night, looking stunningly regal in the moonlight as their robes flowed in the rushing

Blindposting to say, Holy-mol(p)y! This is my favourite! I don't know how you keep outdoing yourself, Jose.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

I've finally cracked. Just realized I've been sitting here for over an hour, watching reaction videos to the [heresy] Red Wedding [/heresy] whilst humming molpy molpy molpy molpy under my breath, but instead changing it to chirpy chirpy chirpy chirpy chirpy. bird, the bird is louuuuud. loud bird, loud bird. chirpy chirpy chirpy chirpy.....
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

A bit of random silliness (partly to show I haven't abandoned you all):

I Chirp to the Trees
(Tune: "I Talk to the Trees" from Paint Your Wagon)

I chirp to the trees
But they don't listen to me
I chirp to the grass
But no molpies hear me

Spoiler:
The beesnakes in love
Can't stop to hear what I say
I chirp to them all
In vain

But suddenly my chirps
Reach someone else's ear
And someone else can hear
Them too

I chirp you my dreams
And while you're list'ning to me
I see that you still have
No clue...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Guess whONG

A chirp.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Jim LandstrONG must die!
Spoiler:
ninja'd
Selecting new quote…

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Oh you chirpy bunch. Here's a real chirp:

CHIRP
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:A bit of random silliness (partly to show I haven't abandoned you all): <snip>

That's awesome - it's like a children's picture book, OTC edition. :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Why, oh why, can't I stop reading this thread and following this comic? I've been sucked into the vortex! I never can get tired of doing it because it is so essentially meaningless. If there were some reason to do it, if, say, reading the OTT saved lives, fed the hungry, sheltered the homeless, I absolutely would tire of it and drop it. But simply because there is no point at all in continuing, I can't seem to make myself stop. Oh, what shall I do? (anguished cry)

You know what you shall do.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Well, my friends, the Outside has won, for now. It is a wip since I have been able to regularly visit the OTC and OTT. Work is crazy, life is crazy, I am crazy (that's not new, just pointing it out.) I spent what Outsiders call "the weekend" on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  It is beautiful, but there is no wi-fi and limited cell signal; anathema to a TimeWaiter. While I was there, panic gripped me; what if Time handed? In desperation I turned to the Book of Aubron, but it wouldn't load due to crappy cell reception and my crappy phone. I was finally able to determine that both the OTT and the OTC were still continuing, which was a relief. But I was still filled with anxiety. I missed my friends on the OTT and wondered what new clues, new charts, new hats I was missing. How would I ever ketchup?

But on the way home, I was given several signs that all was well. The first was the most amazing. My friend said, "Look at that license plate!" I looked, and the plate read: "WAIT 4IT." I kid you not. Then we passed San Simeon and Hearst Castle and I thought of charlie_grumbles Memorial Day party. "Margaritaville" came on the radio, and I heard "Our Mad Randallville." Then, as my friend and I were talking, she said, "Oh, it's like those penguins in 'Madagascar'."P Of course, she was talking about the movie, and I don't even know if we're still talking about Madagascar in the future, but it was pretty cool. It is ALL related, and you were all there with me.

It will still be several newpix before I can jump back into the OTT with both feet, but I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about recent OTC developments. There have been snakes, bee- and stubby. And chirping molpies, including baby ones. And hills and trees and stumps, oh my!

Just because I've missed you all so much, a few newpix ago I took a quick look at the first post on the most recent page. I was delighted to see that we have maintained the warm, thoughtful, and intellectual tone that has marked this thread all along:
Febrion wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:-- Cool story:
My favorite co-worker, whom I discuss books, shows, video games, comics, everything with.. just IM'd me to say (and I quote): Did you know that XKCD time was still going?

Wouldn't it be fun if ALL of us on the OTT were able to send your friend e-mail, saying how you have been an active and recognized participant in the international xkcd Time community for the past 2+ months, you had multiple titles bestowed upon you, etc., and "where the heck have you (meaning your friend) been this whole Time???" :-)

Wait, so the comic is still updating? I thought we were all still here just for the stimulating14 company!

14boobies

All is right with the world.

I'll see you all someTime soon in the present, but until then, let us all WAIT 4IT.

PThat period doesn't look right no matter where I put it.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:I also thought the half-tree was odd, maybe forebearing.

It's bearing leaves, but there are many more than four.

However, it is foreshadowing, although we can't see the back half to know if it's back-shadowing too. It might be leafless on that side...

All these puns need to make like a tree, and get out of here1

1It's all related

Oh dear. Once StratPlayer gets going with the puns, it takes a bit to get him to wind down. Last time he really got going it seemed he wood not stop for anything. But I think that is quite alright, for he is quite good at them. And besides, who wants to be the stick in the mud and make him stop? StratPlayer's punning is one of the things that keeps him poplar around here.

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, my friends, the Outside has won, for now. It is a wip since I have been able to regularly visit the OTC and OTT. Work is crazy, life is crazy, I am crazy (that's not new, just pointing it out.)
Spoiler:
I spent what Outsiders call "the weekend" on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.  It is beautiful, but there is no wi-fi and limited cell signal; anathema to a TimeWaiter. While I was there, panic gripped me; what if Time handed? In desperation I turned to the Book of Aubron, but it wouldn't load due to crappy cell reception and my crappy phone. I was finally able to determine that both the OTT and the OTC were still continuing, which was a relief. But I was still filled with anxiety. I missed my friends on the OTT and wondered what new clues, new charts, new hats I was missing. How would I ever ketchup?

But on the way home, I was given several signs that all was well. The first was the most amazing. My friend said, "Look at that license plate!" I looked, and the plate read: "WAIT 4IT." I kid you not. Then we passed San Simeon and Hearst Castle and I thought of charlie_grumbles Memorial Day party. "Margaritaville" came on the radio, and I heard "Our Mad Randallville." Then, as my friend and I were talking, she said, "Oh, it's like those penguins in 'Madagascar'."P Of course, she was talking about the movie, and I don't even know if we're still talking about Madagascar in the future, but it was pretty cool. It is ALL related, and you were all there with me.

It will still be several newpix before I can jump back into the OTT with both feet, but I can't wait to hear what you all have to say about recent OTC developments. There have been snakes, bee- and stubby. And chirping molpies, including baby ones. And hills and trees and stumps, oh my!

Just because I've missed you all so much, a few newpix ago I took a quick look at the first post on the most recent page. I was delighted to see that we have maintained the warm, thoughtful, and intellectual tone that has marked this thread all along:
Febrion wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:-- Cool story:
My favorite co-worker, whom I discuss books, shows, video games, comics, everything with.. just IM'd me to say (and I quote): Did you know that XKCD time was still going?

Wouldn't it be fun if ALL of us on the OTT were able to send your friend e-mail, saying how you have been an active and recognized participant in the international xkcd Time community for the past 2+ months, you had multiple titles bestowed upon you, etc., and "where the heck have you (meaning your friend) been this whole Time???" :-)

Wait, so the comic is still updating? I thought we were all still here just for the stimulating14 company!

14boobies

All is right with the world.

I'll see you all someTime soon in the present, but until then, let us all WAIT 4IT.

PThat period doesn't look right no matter where I put it.

So wonderful of you to stop by! Your presence here in the present has been missed. We shall, as for it, wait for you :D And I'm sure someone will arrange for cake or other goodies. If wish to say something heretical, Dracomax now has Reese's Pieces! If you like hate that sort of thing.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:A bit of random silliness (partly to show I haven't abandoned you all): <snip>

That's awesome - it's like a children's picture book, OTC edition. :D

It might be my favorite OTT song, yet! jjjdavidson you rock my world. hahah

lmjb1964 wrote:It is ALL related, and you were all there with me.

This is how I felt when I was in the Outside for only 5 dips in a row. You were here with us, too! <3
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

However, it is foreshadowing, although we can't see the back half to know if it's back-shadowing too. It might be leafless on that side...

1It's all related

Oh dear. Once StratPlayer gets going with the puns, it takes a bit to get him to wind down. Last time he really got going it seemed he wood not stop for anything. But I think that is quite alright, for he is quite good at them. And besides, who wants to be the stick in the mud and make him stop? StratPlayer's punning is one of the things that keeps him poplar around here.

I didn't want to do this, but yew leaf me no choice: Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

1It's all related

Is that a sign that perhaps I should cut down on my own punning? Perhaps, I shall, lest you commit some act of myrtle whilst I'm sleeping, for the anger of your chainsaw smiley tells me that such violence may be holly likely.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

1It's all related

Oakay, fir the last thyme... we deciduously needle cut it out, it's knot that I'm board but some releaf wood be a vine change.

So concentrated it gives you heartburn.
Last edited by thirds on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Firsts things first: calm down, BlitzGirl, please... Image
Now, another song, to the tune of The Ballad of Ace LeBaron (familiar, uh?): Cries of a Lonely Waiter

Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball go again
They're traveling in search of the Others
Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball go again
Will they find what they are looking for in the mountains?...

La Petite, will she return back
to us?
And the molpies, will they go after her
and get her down?...

Sun rises, but will we see when it goes back down
away to home?
Sheeple, will you come back to haunt us
after so long?

Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball, can you hear
that odd sound there?

Oh Lord Randall
Oh Great Lord Randall
Why can't we
see what happens with castle and sea?
Oh Lord Randall
Oh Great Lord Randall
Will we be
able to understand what you mean with all this?

Will they get there?
Will the molpies kill them?
Will the clueless be sick?
Will the Others find them? When?

Now that we can try and talk to the Lord
Oh, the Great Lord
Shall we send him a message to read?
Tell him we've been always here!

Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball, can you tell
Tell the birds we're here, we're here
Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball, can you tell
Tell Lord Randall we're waiting for it
We are here

(somehow the video sounds better than my original, cdparanoia-ripped copy)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Selecting new quote…

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I've had UKL's Earthsea Saga on my to-read list for about a year or so, just haven't gotten around to it. Since you both seem to like her so much - do you suggest I dive in to these?

I recommend the Earthsea Trilogy firmly. If you're good for something a little more philosophical (and weird), The Lathe of Heaven is my all-time personal favorite of Le Guin's.

ergman wrote:@making these @something lines in blue:

On the post screen there's a button marked "Font colour" that inserts [color] tags; use it the way you'd use the "Spoiler" or "B" buttons. Or, if you're comfortable with hex color codes, just type the tags in yourself. (But note: The button says "colour" but the tags must be spelled [color].)

mikrit wrote:Elderly, shmelderly!
This is my first day as
quinquagenarian.
How can it be?
He in the mirror is
balding and greying and
yielding to gravity.
He can't be me!

Spoiler:
Febrion wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:Welcome to the club, dude.)

Happy Birthday!!! And -- fellow quinquagenarian, here, too! Glad to have you join us. And don't worry -- it's not so old, it's not like you just... you know... umm... I'm sorry, I seem to have forgotten what I was saying. Now then, where's my shawl and comfy chair? Time for my next nap!

Hrrrrumphh. Dam' youngsters. Time y'all grew up a bit. You'll have to wait a good while before there's room on the porch. Sorry.

Understandable. I still find myself much too light in my curmudgeonosity, although (according to the 2010 US Census numbers on world population) I am older than over 79% of the population on the planet. I still find myself suffering from occasional twinges of youthful optimism.
I hope it will eventually pass. That old rockin' chair looks mighty comfy, and I do love me a rousin' game of checkers...

I had a disturbing thought the other day - I just realized that I am now actually older than my parents were in all of my childhood memoriesnegative four... Horrifying...

negative fourI am now the same age that my parents were when I graduated high school

Happy birthday, mikrit! And a perfect, comical double-dactyl to celebrate! (Myself, I tried my level best to skip that particular birthday.)

I remember a series of landmarks that told me I was getting older much too quickly. There was the day in college (the first pass) when I walked into someone's dorm room and realized that I was older than all the girls in the pinups on their wall─and I was still only twenty. There was the day I realized I was older than one of my college professors (second pass). There was the day I realized I was older than my daughters' school principal. And next year is the 50th anniversaries of Mary Poppins and The Pink Panther; I remember going to the drive-in theater with my parents to see both of them.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

assuring-ONG

ETA So StratPlayer is proven wrong yet again... a perfect record?
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

thirds

Postby thirds » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:assuring-ONG
Spoiler:

I don't believe her either.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

@jjjdavidson: I LOVE that you referenced "Paint Your Wagon" with such a wonderful illustrated filk!

@lmjb1964: WELCOME BACK!!! We've missed you! (And I'd love to hear the TRUE story of your RAZOR activities over the weekend...)

And as for things being related when go elsewhere, I don't think I ever told you about the many times on my trip last [heresy]weekend[/heresy] I saw things that were RELATED! We hiked into mountains, and along a river that has been rising a lot in recent years. I saw a trailer that said "Raptor!" in great big letters on it. And then just 2-3 newpix ago I heard crickets chirping, which made me think of the Thread, especially as I used to be in the insect-ist faction until it was definitively proven to be a bird-molpy-raptor.

Oh, and I'm so glad we've brought up the "Wrinkle in Time" series (my absolute childhood favorite) and UKL's profound "Omelas" story--a story about ethical thinking that many people would benefit from reading. I feel proud that I automatically understood all 3 of the major references in today's OtherComic! (Though I admit I've seen very little Dr. Who. My siblings are big fans, and I've seen a few, and thus still understood, but have never had Time to devote to getting into it).
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Man, this one's pretty lame. I need to start preparing these in advance so I'm not under time pressure to make them on the fly!

@StormAngel - MolpyMeter
@mscha, charlie_grumbles: Today's otherComic
@StratPlayer, others - Doctor Who
@TheMinim - soufflé
@ergman - text
colors

Spoiler:
StormAngel wrote:The MolpyMeter: A standard piece of molpy-hunting equipment, used to determine the precise quantity of Molpies caught in a molpy trap&.
Can also count Anti-Molpies (as well as some other items of interest to OTT clan members)
Warning: The presence of beesnake% may cause spurious readings.

Ah! Brilliant! I'll order a dozen. Got some pesky molpies that need countin'. By the way, I can't help but notice the space on the LCD panel for a negative mark...does it also measure antimolpies?

mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Today's otherComic is interesting. I missed the joke since I missed Dr. Who altogether. But it requires knowledge of The Doctor and also knowledge of "Who's on First" which is a bit ancient now.
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/humor4.shtml

Don't worry about it, I do watch Doctor Who, and know “Who's of first”, and still didn't get it. Image

I got it, but it took me a couple tries... :P

StratPlayer wrote:
akacat wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:approach-ONG
edited to ask mscha. Where would a Doctor virgin begin? Normally I like to start at the beginning of stuff and blitz my way through. What is the best entry point for The Doctor? Thanks in advance.

Others may answer, of course.

Find something that gives you an overview of the Doctor's incarnations, pick one you like, and start there.

If you want to ever truly enjoy the Doctors of the original run (#1-7, from 1963-1989), I suggest starting with one of them at least briefly. Folks who start with New Who frequently can't acclimate to the higher cheese factor of Old Who.

Yes. This! I've only recently begun wading through Dr. Who myself and have started with the 2005 reboot. I'm definitely liking it, and it does have a certain twinkle of cheesy humor at times, but then I caught an old one from the early 70's and was overwhelmed by the cheesiness. It was like watching Babylon 5 or SG-1 or any newer well-done SciFi TV series and then watching Lost In Space and trying to connect the two.

I did my Doctor Who ketchup a couple years ago, and have been going back through again with my parents. The contrast in quality is really amazing - I mean, even between pre-reboot and Reboot series 1, and Reboot series 1 and series 7, there's a ginormous leap in writing, production quality, and even a little acting. I shouldn't judge the old ones too harshly, though - I've only seen 6 or 7 out of the hundreds spanning a 3 decade period, so maybe it gets better in the more recent ones.

TheMinim wrote:Molpy molpy molpy molpy banana fudge souffle cake pie molpy.

Time strawberries? Grapevine, grapevine.

ergman wrote:Ketchirp!

@todays other comic:
A wrinkle in time is a great book, and so are all the other books in the series that I've read. Some of them are almost completely unrelated though.
@chirpy family:

Simple! [color=#______]text[/color] where #_______ is a color hex code (of the form RRGGBB, where R, G, and B are numbers between 0 and 255 represented in hexadecimal)) Alternately, you can highlight your text and click "Font colour" on the edit page, then click the color you want.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

ergman wrote:@making these @something lines in blue:

You can learn a lot by hitting the quote button on any post that does what you want and reading through the raw code. It is pretty easy to grok. Doesn't work for sigs, though. I don't know how to see the raw code of someone else's sig.

You don't have to post/submit after reading. Just use the <back> function in your browser. Or open the quote in a new tab/page initially and then just close it.

The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
-- Charlie Grumbles

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Okay - tartarred up. I gotta say, I'm enjoying the chirping. I was a bit scared when I thought it would get gruesome, but I could easily watch them birdwatch and learn about wildlife for a few dozen newpix.

AluisioASG - neato! I'd love to sneak into your room and look over your shoulder at your notes. I don't know if I'd be able to resist saying boo.

Happy Birthday Mikrit! Here are some magpie pies - tasty, but not so big that they'll ruin your appetite for dessert. (sorry I couldn't find a close-up.)
Spoiler:

Dead Duck Day. I don't know what to say to that. I will try not to think of that the next time I'm cooking my favourite dinner.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Just had a thought: with Megan constantly feeling a need to reassure animolpies that she isn't going to eat them, do you think the people in the hills and other inhabitants formerly in their current area are strong hunting societies?

Oh, and one more thought on "Wrinkle in Time"/UKL:
I have never read nor seen adaptation of Earthsea, but several of you have mentioned disappointment in the film adaptations. That reminds me of the DISMALLY HORRIBLE AWFUL unintentional comedy that was the 2003 film version of "Wrinkle in Time." Madeleine L'Engle was asked if the film had met her expectations by Newsweek. She said, "Yes, I expected it to be bad, and it is." Sad that she's no longer with us.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ergman wrote:Ketchirp!

@todays other comic:
@chirpy family:

Simple! [color=#______]text[/color] where #_______ is a color hex code (of the form RRGGBB, where R, G, and B are numbers between 0 and 255 represented in hexadecimal)) Alternately, you can highlight your text and click "Font colour" on the edit page, then click the color you want.[/spoiler]

Probably a good time to point out that red is against the forum rules.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
I remember a series of landmarks that told me I was getting older much too quickly. There was the day in college (the first pass) when I walked into someone's dorm room and realized that I was older than all the girls in the pinups on their wall─and I was still only twenty. There was the day I realized I was older than one of my college professors (second pass). There was the day I realized I was older than my daughters' school principal. And next year is the 50th anniversaries of Mary Poppins and The Pink Panther; I remember going to the drive-in theater with my parents to see both of them.

I remember several of these also. One was when I realized I was older than the parents of my college students. I had another moment just recently when ..

What? Hello. Do I know you?
-- Charlie Grumbles

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

has this button actually been here the whole time? :oops:
hidden in plain sight, seemingly.and now I will take full, obnoxious advantage of it
And old man grumbles's advice is sound as always, I could have done that instead of asking.
Whatever amounts of any code I know, I learned by example.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:

I remember several of these also. One was when I realized I was older than the parents of my college students. I had another moment just recently when ..

What? Hello. Do I know you?

No.
Now, could you please step this way,
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
as we provide you with an eye exam...
*flash*
Selecting new quote…

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

ergman wrote: old man grumbles's

Hmmm. That's Professor Doctor Old Man Grumbles to you, son.

And Yes color=#FF0000 is for the powers that be yelling at us. Closely related colors (colours) are, I guess, equally embargoed.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Ahhh, I finally got it! Randall's wife is probably pregnant and they're gonna have a baby soon! That's what the comic is about! :D

And, did anyone notice the JavaScript?

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Have You Met Her ONG?
Selecting new quote…

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

ONGoing chirp saga
Spoiler:

DANG! I believe I've been ninja'd 5 of my last 5 attempted ONGs...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”