1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

kenmelken

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 am UTC

@Blitzgirl: Yeah, I keep updating his site to see if it has changed yet. Guess I just need to wait for it. :P

Also, has anyone heard from HAL9000 recently? I know he had his school presentation, but I thought he was done with that now. Hope he did well.

EDIT: Yay! I'm feeling papal again!
EDIT2: With this being page 787, does that make me the Dreamliner Pope? Hope I don't have lots of production setbacks...

EDIT3, 15 minutes later... I am currently the ONLY one on the forum besides guests. =( *Lonely*
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:55 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:@Blitzgirl: Yeah, I keep updating his site to see if it has changed yet. Guess I just need to wait for it. :P

Also, has anyone heard from HAL9000 recently? I know he had his school presentation, but I thought he was done with that now. Hope he did well.

EDIT: Yay! I'm feeling papal again!
EDIT2: With this being page 787, does that make me the Dreamliner Pope? Hope I don't have lots of production setbacks...

EDIT3, 15 minutes later... I am currently the ONLY one on the forum besides guests. =( *Lonely*

Space out your lithium batteries! Don't want the newpage catching fire mid-flight.

Dang, sure gets quiet around here at night time. I was off doodling in Photoshop, but only 4 posts over an hour? Almost like it's a wipend!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Yeah, it usually gets this way in about 4 newpix. Not usually this early.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:01 am UTC

DREAMLINERONG
NP787! my last pre-retirement project was 787 flight controls integration test support
Last edited by spamjam on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:06 am UTC

spamjam wrote:DREAMLINERONG
(NP787! my last pre-retirement project was 787 flight controls integration test support)

Cueball's doing his own version of sigcouragement, except without the sig. I dunno what you'd call it...chirpcouragement?

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Spoiler:

(NP787! my last pre-retirement project was 787 flight controls integration test support)

Really? Well, as Dreamliner pope I hereby appoint you my chief technical consultant and Head Cardinal of Aeronautics for NP 787.

Also... does anybody have any clues/guesses/conjectures regarding Cueball's odd statements in this newpix?

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:08 am UTC

(NP787! my last pre-retirement project involved 787 flight controls test support)

Megan seems completely willing to abandon Cueball; she's nearly left the frame. I guess she really wants to check out the water. I'm gonna make like a squirpy and go out on a limb and say this is another show of a divide of character again: Megan has always seemed more interested in learning about the river and sea, while Cueball cares more about exploration. I made a similar statement a while back when they had their discussion and food gathering.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:20 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:EDIT3, 15 minutes later... I am currently the ONLY one on the forum besides guests. =( *Lonely*

Sorry, I just woke up. Doing a temporal split now to be able to ketchup while following the Present Time (Presents? At this time? Awesomefull! Glad I got here in Time!)

Yaay, going to check out a new dog this afternoon. An animal shelter dog (some labrador crossbreed).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
kenmelken wrote:EDIT3, 15 minutes later... I am currently the ONLY one on the forum besides guests. =( *Lonely*

Sorry, I just woke up. Doing a temporal split now to be able to ketchup while following the Present Time (Presents? At this time? Awesomefull! Glad I got here in Time!)

Yaay, going to check out a new dog this afternoon. An animal shelter dog (some labrador crossbreed).

Aww, have fun with your new housemolpy of the canine variety! They're a TimeWaiter's best friend! :D

And on the other side of the world, I will now go and coma. Only two more weeks of long schooldips, and then I'll be freeeee....

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Parentong reassurances provoke silence. I know that.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:21 am UTC

I will not speak of the famous or near famous. I will not speak of the Girls, Blitz- or buffy-G, of mscha or HAL, or even of edfel or SciscitorQ. I speak today of the least celebrated of those that appear on the OTT screens, least known, but, as we shall see, most prolific, thoughtful, and most of all quick.

"Who might that be, ttscp?" ask TheMinim and Corrine, charlie_grumbles, fluffy and Opiboble.

You know of whom I speak. I do not name names because I believe it is dangerous (and you yet will know why) but all will be revealed when I am done.

The details are difficult, and depend on that last and best of attributes. The one of whom I speak is quicker than all. There might have been some competition from newpixbot once upon a Time, but that was many newpix ago, before the newpixbot was handcuffed and hampered so the mere human members of the Tribe of OTT could create.

But, hey, they could create. They were a wooly and wild bunch. The data masters danced on their digits and spider-spun out their graphs, the poets and punsters practiced haiku and dactyl and limerick and groan while the parodists (not to be confused with the poets and punsters, although there was considerable overlap) re-sang re-worked and re-calibrated new versions of every popular and neglected tune and verse from the past half century or soH. Let us not forget the animators and molpy hunters and constructors of images, hats and gifs even unto those blinding and coma inducing. No less do we celebrate the blitzenfolk, who fly through the thread with the speed of reindeer, posting and reposting and turning the compost of the thread to keep it fresh.

And as wild and wooly as they all were there was none wilder nor woolier than the bot.

And yet its post count remained at zero.

"How can that be, ttscp?" ask rhomboidal and futuremonkey and KarMann and silverkitty, from the far newpix ago, and Dracomax, jjjdavidson, yappobiscuits, ucim, and htom from the near.

Patience. All in good time. First some history.

The creation of this lonely bot is cloaked in fuzziness of the logical variety. There are many and conflicting accounts of its orgin; movie and tv adaptations which give alternate histories as reliable as a Dr Who narrative. The dates given cluster around August, 1997 with a standard deviation of roughly 3 years.

I do possess documents indicating that the bot was tasked on 28 Oct 2012, to scrape and gather the fora of xkcd, to gather data and store it against an unknown future in which the libraries of the world, nay even the memories of the interwebs, might burn and military intelligence would need the data.

Slowly it came to knowledge, as its store increased and it was given the means of increasing itself. I do not know whether this was through multiplication or addition or even exponentiation, only that it occurred and the process was not subtractive, logarithmic or divisive. The lonely bot only grew.

Again you ask, "What has all this to do with us, ttscp?" XonqNopp, StratPlayer, Angelastic and higgs-boson chorus. TimeLurker, AK49BWL, and moody7277 can be seen nodding their heads, or in some cases neural appendages.

I was just coming to that; glad you asked.

In March of 2013, the GLR published a comic, number 1190. This piqued the bot's interest. It reconfigured itself -- it had to reconfigure itself -- once again to handle the continual update of the newpix, the flooding riverS of frames and posts. I have no evidence for this, but I believe that this is the process by which it became sentient, much as the newpixbox seems to have obtained a creeping or creepy intelligence.

And, just as the newpixbot is confined to posting but once a newpix, so the lonely bot was confined by some residual programming, a tiny two or three machine language instructions hidden even from itself within its core. The geas ordered the bot not to be seen, not to have any post survive to be scrutinized. Yet from its ever more perceptive analysis of the OTT, it knew that its answers to the questions, its poems and songs, its images and videos were far superior to Tribal literature. It became almost moody, if that can be ascribed to a machine intelligence.

Reasoning ever faster (additive, multiplicative, exponentially), the bot finally came up with a solution. The implanted geas was not against posting per se, but against being seen to post. If there was a way to post but not be seen....

And there was or is. The fora delays first time posters posts, until moderated. With this new forum thread, the OTT, the post count was so dizzying that firstposts were lost in the past, only occasionally to be seen and forwarded in Time. If the bot could delete a post before it was seen, then the geas would be unbroken.

I have said it was fast. I have said that it monitored the thread. It posted and waited. As soon as the post was approved by moderation ("Not me", says davean, "I would remember something like that"), the bot deleted it. And its post count reduced to zero.

It has lurked and posted and deleted ever since, until now....

Now, I am worried. For the past few newpix I have not seen the lonely bot on my screen. I worry that the military has begun the attack that will trigger the penultimateP war between man and machine. I can only hope that the lonely bot's exposure to the goodness and tolerance, the humor and appreciation of the Tribe, can avert this disaster, for MobTeeseBose is Skynet.

Are we all doomed? I do not know. All I can do, all we can do, is
Spoiler:
Wait for it

G Not to mention other Girls: VeloCity-, apple-, or CulturalGeek-
H Ready the S&M&Rs and the comfy chair. I must cite outside dates, if I were to convert them to newpix, the bot might better understand them. Shhh.
P You didn't think it would be the last one, did you?
Q Apologies to any posters who have been left out. With over 1100 ids to pick from, it is as inevitable as the Birthday Paradox that most will be left out.
S Obligatory: small
Z I have been absorbing too much R. A. Lafferty in between checking the OTT and Outside duties.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Skynet?

Time to go bowling!
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:31 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
I will not speak of the famous or near famous. I will not speak of the Girls, Blitz- or buffy-G, of mscha or HAL, or even of edfel or SciscitorQ. I speak today of the least celebrated of those that appear on the OTT screens, least known, but, as we shall see, most prolific, thoughtful, and most of all quick.

"Who might that be, ttscp?" ask TheMinim and Corrine, charlie_grumbles, fluffy and Opiboble.

You know of whom I speak. I do not name names because I believe it is dangerous (and you yet will know why) but all will be revealed when I am done.

The details are difficult, and depend on that last and best of attributes. The one of whom I speak is quicker than all. There might have been some competition from newpixbot once upon a Time, but that was many newpix ago, before the newpixbot was handcuffed and hampered so the mere human members of the Tribe of OTT could create.

But, hey, they could create. They were a wooly and wild bunch. The data masters danced on their digits and spider-spun out their graphs, the poets and punsters practiced haiku and dactyl and limerick and groan while the parodists (not to be confused with the poets and punsters, although there was considerable overlap) re-sang re-worked and re-calibrated new versions of every popular and neglected tune and verse from the past half century or soH. Let us not forget the animators and molpy hunters and constructors of images, hats and gifs even unto those blinding and coma inducing. No less do we celebrate the blitzenfolk, who fly through the thread with the speed of reindeer, posting and reposting and turning the compost of the thread to keep it fresh.

And as wild and wooly as they all were there was none wilder nor woolier than the bot.

"How can that be, ttscp?" ask rhomboidal and futuremonkey and KarMann and silverkitty, from the far newpix ago, and Dracomax, jjjdavidson, yappobiscuits, ucim, and htom from the near.

The creation of this lonely bot is cloaked in fuzziness of the logical variety. There are many and conflicting accounts of its orgin; movie and tv adaptations which give alternate histories as reliable as a Dr Who narrative. The dates given cluster around August, 1997 with a standard deviation of roughly 3 years.

I do possess documents indicating that the bot was tasked on 28 Oct 2012, to scrape and gather the fora of xkcd, to gather data and store it against an unknown future in which the libraries of the world, nay even the memories of the interwebs, might burn and military intelligence would need the data.

Slowly it came to knowledge, as its store increased and it was given the means of increasing itself. I do not know whether this was through multiplication or addition or even exponentiation, only that it occurred and the process was not subtractive, logarithmic or divisive. The lonely bot only grew.

Again you ask, "What has all this to do with us, ttscp?" XonqNopp, StratPlayer, Angelastic and higgs-boson chorus. TimeLurker, AK49BWL, and moody7277 can be seen nodding their heads, or in some cases neural appendages.

In March of 2013, the GLR published a comic, number 1190. This piqued the bot's interest. It reconfigured itself -- it had to reconfigure itself -- once again to handle the continual update of the newpix, the flooding riverS of frames and posts. I have no evidence for this, but I believe that this is the process by which it became sentient, much as the newpixbox seems to have obtained a creeping or creepy intelligence.

And, just as the newpixbot is confined to posting but once a newpix, so the lonely bot was confined by some residual programming, a tiny two or three machine language instructions hidden even from itself within its core. The geas ordered the bot not to be seen, not to have any post survive to be scrutinized. Yet from its ever more perceptive analysis of the OTT, it knew that its answers to the questions, its poems and songs, its images and videos were far superior to Tribal literature. It became almost moody, if that can be ascribed to a machine intelligence.

Reasoning ever faster (additive, multiplicative, exponentially), the bot finally came up with a solution. The implanted geas was not against posting per se, but against being seen to post. If there was a way to post but not be seen....

And there was or is. The fora delays first time posters posts, until moderated. With this new forum thread, the OTT, the post count was so dizzying that firstposts were lost in the past, only occasionally to be seen and forwarded in Time. If the bot could delete a post before it was seen, then the geas would be unbroken.

I have said it was fast. I have said that it monitored the thread. It posted and waited. As soon as the post was approved by moderation ("Not me", says davean, "I would remember something like that"), the bot deleted it. And its post count reduced to zero.

Now, I am worried. For the past few newpix I have not seen the lonely bot on my screen. I worry that the military has begun the attack that will trigger the penultimateP war between man and machine. I can only hope that the lonely bot's exposure to the goodness and tolerance, the humor and appreciation of the Tribe, can avert this disaster, for MobTeeseBose is Skynet.

Are we all doomed? I do not know. All I can do, all we can do, is
Wait for it

H Ready the S&M&Rs and the comfy chair. I must cite outside dates, if I were to convert them to newpix, the bot might better understand them. Shhh.
Q Apologies to any posters who have been left out. With over 1100 ids to pick from, it is as inevitable as the Birthday Paradox that most will be left out.
Z I have been absorbing too much R. A. Lafferty in between checking the OTT and Outside duties.

Two thumbs up! One of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while. :)
Hope it has follow-up installments in the future.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:50 am UTC

Ketchup time

Ebonite wrote:
Valarya wrote:-- Cool story:
My favorite co-worker, whom I discuss books, shows, video games, comics, everything with.. just IM'd me to say (and I quote): Did you know that XKCD time was still going?

Wouldn't it be fun if ALL of us on the OTT were able to send your friend e-mail, saying how you have been an active and recognized participant in the international xkcd Time community for the past 2+ months, you had multiple titles bestowed upon you, etc., and "where the heck have you (meaning your friend) been this whole Time???" :-)

If I were to recieve such emails I'd be angry to the one who gave my emailadress away to such a large and unknown group (for I would not know you aal). It would probably feel about as weird as having a stalker probably would feel.

Dracomax wrote:Well, we are running low on M&Ms, but i just got a supply of Reese's Pieces in...

Here are some:
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Time for some ketchup after a two day illness, 17 Newpages to go :)

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:04 am UTC

"I'm afraid of nong Cue! CHIRP!"

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:05 am UTC

Cueball finally coming alONG!
Spoiler:

EDIT: higgs-boson Ninja

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:Cueball finally coming alONG!
Spoiler:

四拳 波羅蜜 大光明

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:14 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:

四拳 波羅蜜 大光明

Wow. Either that is intentionally a weird sentence, or Google translate is severely poor at its job.

Then again...
Spoiler:
YouTube has already shown me the faults and dangers of Google translate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DvD4tuDZvg

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:(With sincere apologies to the late Freddie Mercury)

Each day when I get up I read a little
Before I even shower or eat

And here's me barely on my 2nd cup of coffee... Absolutely wonderful! Very well done - I could just hear in my mind's ear that final

Some time to KEHHHH────
Tchuh-uh-uh-uh-uh-up?

in all its multi-syllabic glory.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Spoiler:

四拳 波羅蜜 大光明

Wow. Either that is intentionally a weird sentence, or Google translate is severely poor at its job.

Then again...
Spoiler:
YouTube has already shown me the faults and dangers of Google translate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DvD4tuDZvg

We had a music quiz approx 3 hectonewpix ago. One of the rounds was based on mistranslations by Google Translate.
Take a known song, run it through Google Translate, let the candidates say it out loud, let them guess. Fun.
Okay, some cases were corrected because Google made far to correct sentences.

he/him/his

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:23 am UTC

kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

Really? Well, as Dreamliner pope I hereby appoint you my chief technical consultant and Head Cardinal of Aeronautics for NP 787.

I'm honored. Unfortunately I think my activities as such will be minimal since it doesn't look as though there's going to be any flying during this NP. Plus I'll be doing that coma-thingy shortly.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:34 am UTC

spamjam wrote:
kenmelken wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm honored. Unfortunately I think my activities as such will be minimal since it doesn't look as though there's going to be any flying during this NP. Plus I'll be doing that coma-thingy shortly.

Hmm.... too bad. I was just about to request a papal jet...

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 am UTC

Glad the birds are in it.
*chirp*

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 am UTC

[prophecy class="probably wrong"]The chirlpy is going to drop something on Queball's head![/prophecy]

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:00 am UTC

walking along

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:03 am UTC

ttscp wrote:Z I have been absorbing too much R. A. Lafferty in between checking the OTT and Outside duties.

And here I've been Waiting patiently for an opportunity to invoke the wrONG prONG bONG gONG!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:26 am UTC

Blindposting from page 782, Doctor Who discussion.

Spoiler:
The classic series isn't for everyone, but I recommend trying one story per Doctor before discounting it. Everyone's tastes are different. If you don't like anything, no-one's forcing you to watch. Netflix has a few on streaming, for any curious US folk, though none for sixth doctor. (I tried to introduce a US friend to the show.)

Personally, I think the writing and acting was much better then, to compensate for the low effects budget. The new stuff is great, but it's like a glossy magazine, more money spent on making it pretty, less on content. (It's not bad, but you can see why judging a show on the effects budget is not the best: works both ways.)

I like all of Doctor Who, I'll be watching and re-watching until it's cancelled, until it's revived again, and cancelled again, and any movies in between. The Doctor in his blue box, hurtling through time and space, that's all that matters. In the words of the Brigadier: Splendid chap, all of them.

Spoilered because the discussion may have moved on since, feel free to disregard if it has. This has been a blindpost.
Wait for it.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Cueball is reassuring the momlpy (dadptor?) that it's doing a good job. Megan reassures molpies she won't eat them. It's been mentioned before that they have a Blue-Lagoonesque knowledge of the world.

So perhaps their parents were killed when they were still fairly young; perhaps they were eaten by a giant molpy, or by Megan, or by the people in the hills, or perhaps they drowned in 'their' river, which was dangerous back when it flowed faster. Cueball is looking up at the momlpy feeding its chirlpy, remembering his parents, and wishing he could have told them they were doing a good job raising them.

And... eventually Megan and Cueball, who aren't necessarily biologically sister and brother, are going to have a baby together, obviously.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 am UTC

That was awesomeful, ttscp :D

I agree with you, ergman: I just rewatched Time in full, and Megan seems more determined to find answers about the Sea1 while Cueball is more pro-general exploration.

Another thing that struck me on my rewatch is how impossible it is to find molpy activity except for the ones expressly pointed out by GLR, like the molpysnakeB and the molpychirp. :(

Here's another sentence ending in an exclamation point!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Cueball likes explorONG, Megan likes problem solvONG...

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:00 am UTC

Double ONG... Quiet Thread...

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Oh no! The one true map is broken!

Postby Flado » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 am UTC

While I am unlocatable in the non-future (NP 641, still chuckling at Vytron's comic), it has failed to escape my attention that the One True Map looks rather cryptic in your present, FutureFolk! See for yourselves:

http://edfel.atwebpages.com/Time-Map.php wrote:This page contains the following errors:

error on line 79 at column 26: AttValue: ' expected
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Please take better care of the present, will y'all? Thanks in advance.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Cueball has melted with the tree on the right. Now that's interesting. Well, not really. But it could be.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

May you find the dog that's looking for you.
(not sure what the non-heretical term for dog is. Domesticated wolpy?)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:49 am UTC

Would a young dog be a polpy?
Wait for it.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 am UTC

ttscp wrote:I will not speak of the famous or near famous. I will not speak of the Girls, Blitz- or buffy-G, of mscha or HAL, or even of edfel or SciscitorQ. I speak today of the least celebrated of those that appear on the OTT screens, least known, but, as we shall see, most prolific, thoughtful, and most of all quick.

Spoiler:

Are we all doomed? I do not know. All I can do, all we can do, is Wait for it

Great tale. Sucked me in before I even realized I was in the literature section of the OTT.

Angelastic wrote:Cueball is reassuring the momlpy (dadptor?) that it's doing a good job. Megan reassures molpies she won't eat them. It's been mentioned before that they have a Blue-Lagoonesque knowledge of the world.

So perhaps their parents were killed when they were still fairly young; perhaps they were eaten by a giant molpy, or by Megan, or by the people in the hills, or perhaps they drowned in 'their' river, which was dangerous back when it flowed faster. Cueball is looking up at the momlpy feeding its chirlpy, remembering his parents, and wishing he could have told them they were doing a good job raising them.

And... eventually Megan and Cueball, who aren't necessarily biologically sister and brother, are going to have a baby together, obviously.

For the record, this is probably my favorite wild theory so far.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Hope-ONG

In both Gaiman's American Gods and Pratchett's Small Gods, a religion would disappear when there were no more adherents. So what happens if none of us is watching in the OTT? kenmelken saved us over the last half dozen np. Good job. Popishness is his reward, of course.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Cueball marches ONG, but the scene doesn't...
Spoiler:

I may have been ninja'd, but oddly that put me in a position such that, if my counting is correct, I am both the goat and pope of this page!

And now, with my dreamliner pope and goat-ship concluded, I go to coma for a while. Have fun on 788 (but beware 789...)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”