1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jetpac

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jetpac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat. Goat.
Post 2^5 ten-hundreds.
Yay

Go, nextPope

Yours may have been the 32,000th post, but mine is the 32,000th reply. Also I'm pope! It's good to be me :)

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:I'd actually be much more curious about the response of someone who isn't you. Back away slowly in horror? Nervous chuckle and move on? Pity usually reserved only for the severely handicapped? Mace? There's so much potential data!

I'm also curious about that, and I hope to film it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:Switzerland has quite good chocolate (I can recommend Felchlin)

Whoa, whoa, what's going on here? I have done my best to try as much chocolate as possible since I got here. How come I've never heard of Felchlin? I must seek this out.

Honestly I can't tell you very much about Felchlin. I have actually not bought any chocolate directly from them, but through a lovely store here in Sweden that sells bars of Felchlin's chocolate which they mold themselves. The only two varieties I've tried are called Maracaibo and Maracaibo Creol. Maracaibo is a dark chocolate, about 65-70% (I don't pay too much attention to percentages, I'm more interested in taste), and the Creol variant is a milk chocolate (but still with 49% cocoa) with cream - and it's absolutely fantastic. It is right up there with Valrhona's Jivara, but due to the cream it's even... creamier. Yeah, I don't know how to explain it. They're both quite lovely, though.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Hmmm. sje46 hasn't been back. Maybe it did try the mushrooms. Oh well. RIP Bon Voyage.

Ze's hanging out over on this OtherThread, another haunt of Vytron's.

Oh dear. BlitzGirl, how would you know that. Have you been unfaithful?

I cheated, but not in the way you think. :wink: I went to sje46's profile and clicked on "Search user's posts." When I jumped to the most recent post, I noticed Vytron uppage.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:Honestly I can't tell you very much about Felchlin. I have actually not bought any chocolate directly from them, but through a lovely store here in Sweden that sells bars of Felchlin's chocolate which they mold themselves. The only two varieties I've tried are called Maracaibo and Maracaibo Creol. Maracaibo is a dark chocolate, about 65-70% (I don't pay too much attention to percentages, I'm more interested in taste), and the Creol variant is a milk chocolate (but still with 49% cocoa) with cream - and it's absolutely fantastic. It is right up there with Valrhona's Jivara, but due to the cream it's even... creamier. Yeah, I don't know how to explain it. They're both quite lovely, though.

I believe you, of course, but not for the "pure of heart chocolate" http://candy.about.com/od/candyreviews/fr/felchlin_review.htm
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

speising wrote:restONG

moody7277 wrote:Another crazy, probably wrong OTC prediction:
Cueball will wake up when he accidentally inhales the beesnake.

OMR it could happen in the next newpic, but it looks like it's heading for Megan's mouth!! *suspense* Guess we'll have to..
Spoiler:
..Wait for It!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: A cult? Perhaps, though I would check back to the early newpages if you really want to see some culty action. At this point in Time we're more like an extended viewing party at the top of the OtherComics forum, here for fun, good conversation, and to see what happens in the next frame of Time.

I completely agree. This is one of my favorite descriptions of this thread. :) And also, I agree with the former cultiness. One of the factors that led to my Great Lurk.

BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Hmmm. sje46 hasn't been back. Maybe it did try the mushrooms. Oh well. RIP Bon Voyage.

Ze's hanging out over on this OtherThread, another haunt of Vytron's.

Wow. Just glanced through that thread a bit. And xe calls US a cult...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:OMR it could happen in the next newpic, but it looks like it's heading for Megan's mouth!! *suspense* Guess we'll have to..
Spoiler:
..Wait for It!

I don't know why I even bothered clicking on that spoiler...
He/Him/His Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Hope they're not allergONG

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Onglanding!!!!!!!!
Spoiler:

Ninja'd. But omgomg the beesnake landed on her.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Time thread
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
There are lots of things to discuss
With puns.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I cheated, but not in the way you think. :wink: I went to sje46's profile and clicked on "Search user's posts." When I jumped to the most recent post, I noticed Vytron uppage.

Well, ok then. No worries.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

Hey! That beesnake's got a Megan on its butt!
jetpac wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I don't think I know any of you here, but yappobiscuits, if you want to meet an OTTer and also have a fun evening (oh dear, now this sounds like something written in a toilet stall. Not that kind of fun evening!), go to a Jonathan Coulton concert next time he's in England and say, 'molpy molpy molpy molpy' to the girl (not the guy) that's filming everything. If she bursts out laughing and appears to be attempting to say 'grapevine' through the laughter, but justs ends up laughing more, she's probably me. Oh no, now the whole internet knows where to find me. Well, internet, if you want to find a person, there are plenty of them around. I wouldn't be a particularly worthwhile target for whatever evil plots you have brewing. Unless your plots involve unapproved buttermongery.

I'd actually be much more curious about the response of someone who isn't you. Back away slowly in horror? Nervous chuckle and move on? Pity usually reserved only for the severely handicapped? Mace? There's so much potential data!

Oh dear, now I'm giggling muchly at the thought of jumping out in front of someone chanting MOLPY MOLPY MOLPY while doing the dance and seeing the look on their face...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Onglanding!!!!!!!!
Spoiler:

Ninja'd. But omgomg the beesnake landed on her.

And just 3 minutes after you predicted it. Well done.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Time thread
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
With puns.
Watched.

FTFY

Edited to correct a grave injustice. Read on Blitzers.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:Honestly I can't tell you very much about Felchlin. I have actually not bought any chocolate directly from them, but through a lovely store here in Sweden that sells bars of Felchlin's chocolate which they mold themselves. The only two varieties I've tried are called Maracaibo and Maracaibo Creol. Maracaibo is a dark chocolate, about 65-70% (I don't pay too much attention to percentages, I'm more interested in taste), and the Creol variant is a milk chocolate (but still with 49% cocoa) with cream - and it's absolutely fantastic. It is right up there with Valrhona's Jivara, but due to the cream it's even... creamier. Yeah, I don't know how to explain it. They're both quite lovely, though.

I believe you, of course, but not for the "pure of heart chocolate" http://candy.about.com/od/candyreviews/fr/felchlin_review.htm

Yeah, that one sounds a bit icky. But it's called "Ultra Gloss Dark Chocolate" so it's some kind of special thing. The Maracaibo ones can be seen on this page in Chokladfabriken's web shop and are nothing like the glossy one.

And before I coma I'd like to clarify that I'm no chocolate snob. :) I love the luxurious stuff, but if the mood is right I can get just as much enjoyment from a regular milk chocolate bar.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

It's a MOSQUITO! On her ear!

Image AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

"Hi Beesnake! It's OK, I won't eat you"

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

"I just got some (mosquito) in my mouth".

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Yeah, that one sounds a bit icky. But it's called "Ultra Gloss Dark Chocolate" so it's some kind of special thing. The Maracaibo ones can be seen on this page in Chokladfabriken's web shop and are nothing like the glossy one.

And before I coma I'd like to clarify that I'm no chocolate snob. :) I love the luxurious stuff, but if the mood is right I can get just as much enjoyment from a regular milk chocolate bar.

Lordy (Randall) knows you don't have to be pure to be good. Or fun. In fact, pure can take some of the fun out of good. (Voice from my past says: "Hushhhhhh. Don't go there")
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
With puns.
Watched.

FTFY

No, that doesn't work with the format I used. I was doing a cinquain which is only 5 lines. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
With puns.
Watched.

FTFY

No, that doesn't work with the format I used. I was doing a cinquain which is only 5 lines. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Ok FTFM
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Not much ketchup to do today, but I was inspired for the gif :P
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:Image

Only a heretic would deny the One True Comic. Or maybe some guy named Peter.

charlie_grumbles wrote:
mscha wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I'm fairly sure I don't know any of the regular posters IRL, or even virtually Outside of the OTT.
If there are any people who know me, though, they'll certainly know it's me, since I use this handle and (unhatted) avatar all over the place, also for [heresy]Serious Business[/heresy]. (Unwise, I know.)
I think I'd enjoy it less, and certainly would post less freely, if I knew it'd be read by people I know on the Outside.

Excellent point. Let me give a heads-up/warning to all of the youngsters here (<20 outside years, say). Be careful what you say online in forums, even when you think you are anonymous.

Us old timers here who have established professional reputations tend to be careful and also to protect our TrueNames (as Fluffy advised). But in a connected world (and it is becoming increasingly connected) your unguarded words can come back to destroy your prospects as well as your reputation.

The news right now is filled with reports that the US government is hoovering up all communications, both online and off. The NSA is building a new data center so that this may continue. This is true even though our laws would seem to prevent this sort of thing.

But the bigger problem for the young, is not the government (yet), but the fact that universities and employers can take a dim view of "youthful indiscretions". So think before you hit submit. What would grandma think of this? Be kewl, protect your TrueName, but protect your reputation even more.

Ok, end of old codger talk. I'm gettin' pretty close to cake time, I think. (As well as getting pretty close to my birthyear npix - Not today, but soon.) So get ready for a party.

ETA. Actually GB is much more aggressive than the US in hoovering.

I take a dim view of any university or employer who'd consider the OTT a "youthful indiscretion."

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
With puns.
Watched.

FTFY

Ok FTFM

I'll give you a properly fixed version:

Time thread
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
I'm Watched

Happy now?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:

Time thread
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
I'm Watched

Happy now?

Annotated:

Time thread - spying on it
Waiting for it - will report what I see
There are some mysteries - weird bunch out there look'n at us every newpx
There are lots of things to discuss - with my spymasters
I'm Watched - discrete, discrete

I think we are good to go.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

On the subject of chocolate that is available in Sweden but not actually from there, I really like Fazer salmiakki chocolate bars. Your kilocueage may vary :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

Time thread
Waiting for it
There are some mysteries
I'm Watched

Happy now?

Annotated:

Time thread //spying on it
Waiting for it //will report what I see
There are some mysteries //weird bunch out there look'n at us every newpx
There are lots of things to discuss //with my spymasters
I'm Watched //discrete, discrete

I think we are good to go.

//I just like putting
//slashes everywhere!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of chocolate that is available in Sweden but not actually from there, I really like Fazer salmiakki chocolate bars. Your kilocueage may vary :D

You are from .ch talk'n about chocolate NOT from .ch????? From .fi, actually??? Can't figure that one out at all. A mystery. Go to .fi for the cloudberries. Go to .ch for the chocolate (and cheese. Yessssss. Cheese.)

Ol' Charlie's thinkin' you are from the .fr part of .ch. Cross the border for the Vin.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Angelastic wrote:On the subject of chocolate that is available in Sweden but not actually from there, I really like Fazer salmiakki chocolate bars. Your kilocueage may vary :D

You are from .ch talk'n about chocolate NOT from .ch????? From .fi, actually??? Can't figure that one out at all. A mystery. Go to .fi for the cloudberries. Go to .ch for the chocolate (and cheese. Yessssss. Cheese.)

Ol' Charlie's thinkin' you are from the .fr part of .ch. Cross the border for the Vin.

Yup, chocolate and cheese (and clockwork horology and chäs chüechli and chuchichastli) are practically what the .ch stands for. ;) I probably shouldn't have posted that .fi heresy publicly. They'll be coming to get me any minute now. Wait, wait… most wine is a waste of perfectly good grape juice.

There! Now the French from just across the border will also come to get me, and they'll end up ignoring me and attacking each other with soup pots. While they're occupied, I also like creme eggs and think that digital watches are a 3* idea.

I think I am, technically, allowed to like other chocolates, because I'm not originally from .ch, but doing so is in bad taste. (But not in Bad Taste)

*See Default footnotes; standard OTT-np1888m in mscha's signature2
2'bigger than it looks' because they probably didn't realise how much cool stuff we'd end up being able to do with digital wrist-attached things.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

No Ouch-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:I was thinking the other day, have we had any actual evidence that the journeying has been after the sand castle building? People have said things a few times like "How can they know how to build a sandcastle but not be able to fathom the behavior of birds?" but what if the fade was the transition into a flashback? I don't know, this seems like it might just be a mere rehashing of loopist heresy, and there's probably something in the dialogue that I missed that debunks this. Still, maybe?

"We'll get some bags" or words to that effect was said before setting off, before the fade.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's a MOSQUITO! On her ear!

Don't worry, it's a beesnake, not a mosquito. And I think it's on her nose, not her ear. (Hard to say for sure as she doesn't have a face, but I think she's still lying on her back.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and this is for the OtherThread Old One, who so charmingly stumbled onto our little clan. A temporal gift, your first post on the fora:
sje46 wrote:I really like the Beatles.
But John . . .his music is good for the most part, but a lot of his lyrics just don't make a lot of sense, and people praise him for them.
Strawberry Fields Forever is boring.

Because we all were young, and we will all be old. But this does not surprise those of us who pay close attention to Time; we have grown used to having friends from both Past and Present (and perhaps the Future) who join us in our journey along this needle-pulled thing. A newfound blitzer just stumbling into our Thread is as welcome as one of our Old Ones who has been with us since the beginning of Time. We take care of our own, give each other Present Presents, and feed everyone cake. A cult? Perhaps, though I would check back to the early newpages if you really want to see some culty action. At this point in Time we're more like an extended viewing party at the top of the OtherComics forum, here for fun, good conversation, and to see what happens in the next frame of Time.

And the condescension. Don't forget to mention the institutionalised condescension.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Started playing around with ideas for The Side Project just now. Test Pic Nombre Un:

Spoiler:

Not sure I'm liking the fog, I think it'd be better if the ground was actually shaded to show the geometry, but I'm not sure how I'd go about that. Maybe using a texture which is slightly mustard, then putting slightly different strength lights facing the cardinal directions. I'll keep fiddling.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Yup, chocolate and cheese (and clockwork horology and chäs chüechli and chuchichastli) are practically what the .ch stands for. ;) I probably shouldn't have posted that .fi heresy publicly. They'll be coming to get me any minute now. Wait, wait… most wine is a waste of perfectly good grape juice.

Ok. Here's the deal. Me'n a buncha folks swing by yr place for a big wheel of chüechlihus emmental (queen of cheeses (o' Italy, forgive me)), Then across the border to .fr for the Vin Rouge (sorry, not grape juice. NOT), then up to southern .de for Schweinshaxe.
Then back to yr place for the Lindt (or better). Good. See ya' soon. Heaven.

ETA: Post is half way to Hades. Elsewhere I'm called Pluto, btw. In case you need to know.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:"Hi Beesnake! It's OK, I won't eat you"

Later: "...I swallowed a bug."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

Don't worry, it's a beesnake, not a mosquito. And I think it's on her nose, not her ear. (Hard to say for sure as she doesn't have a face, but I think she's still lying on her back.)
Spoiler:

Okay, okay. okay.
Just a little freaked out from posting earlier about mosquitos buzzing into my ear while sleeping, and then Megan is attacked... Image

The Side Project looks exciting, ChronosDragon!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:

Spoiler:

Okay, okay. okay.
Just a little freaked out from posting earlier about mosquitos buzzing into my ear while sleeping, and then Megan is attacked... Image

The Side Project looks exciting, ChronosDragon!

We could of course, learn that it is a flutterby-molpy and not a beesnake at all. Maybe she is being blessed by the fairy queen.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

I want to try the trout chocolate.
I want to hear Pat Benatar sing Strat's song.
I want to chase the bug off Megan's nose.

ETA: unless it's a butterfly.
Last edited by ggh on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Page 801 - row row row.

Sixpence for whoever unravels the reference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”