1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TheMinim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Of course, more proof of looping ... in the OTT. Image

I am a heretic and need to be punished by chocolate for forgetting. :lol: :lol:

I plead the third.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Ah, I think I shied so far away from the xkcdsucks link in that post I failed to notice the OtherComic reference that followed it.

It does seem that anything around 100 newpages old is ripe for looping. So here's a Past Present Present link. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

One can never have enough links to Boom de Yada. Image

Oh no, now I've got that stuck in my head again for the rest of the day...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

I'm really liking this new scenery. Or just the perspective change. Whatever it is, it's got a good look to it.
could use a few more mackerel/pickerel, though. Just sayin'
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

These old post references and the Past Present Present are making me feel nostalgic. <insert wistful looking smiley>
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

I reuse jokes with my friends in a shorter timescale than the OTC has been going. If you have infinite monkeys looking at infinite newpix, duplication is inevitable. Also, you get Hamlet.

(I'm not calling anyone a monkey, unless they are one, in which case I am)
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Just watchONG ... what??

They haven't moved - same ‘scene’ as before. (So they might be standing on top of that waterfall I posted on the previous NP.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just watchONG ... what??
Spoiler:

They haven't moved - same ‘scene’ as before. (So they might be standing on top of that waterfall I posted on the previous NP.)

One NP to make it clear they've stopped, before a rotation of view next NP?

On a side project related note, what was the consensus on frame widths? If 1 cue = player height = 73 hammer units, how wide is each frame?
He/Him/His Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Gazing in awe at the splendor of mscha's waterfall!!!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:

Gazing in awe at the splendor of mscha's waterfall!!!

It was a very nice waterfall.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The next ONG:
(Click for full-size.)

Edit: not sure how the GLR will have drawn this. The water is black, the rocks are black, might be hard to see anything.

Awesome! Love those colored images..

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:I was thinking the other day, have we had any actual evidence that the journeying has been after the sand castle building? People have said things a few times like "How can they know how to build a sandcastle but not be able to fathom the behavior of birds?" but what if the fade was the transition into a flashback? I don't know, this seems like it might just be a mere rehashing of loopist heresy, and there's probably something in the dialogue that I missed that debunks this. Still, maybe?

Back at the castle, they said "I wonder if there are other rivers." On the journey, they found one, and said "There are other rivers."

mscha wrote:The next ONG:
Spoiler:

(Click for full-size.)

Edit: not sure how the GLR will have drawn this. The water is black, the rocks are black, might be hard to see anything.

Probably a side view. The way the water looks in the last 2 frames, I think you're right -- it is a waterfall.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

[scene 11]
[extreme close-up] A large, backlit red button, which the second scribe's pushes with her finger.
[SFX] The camera's frame distorts, all sides being stretched inward from their centers while the corners remain in place.
[SOUND FX] The high-pitched noise continues, intensifies and rises in pitch.
[SFX] As the frame reaches its maximal star-shaped compression, centered around the red button, there is a burst of light, then blackness against which the BlitzRocket screams away from us at great speed, leaving a trail of brilliant sparkles which slowly fade. As the sparkles are fading, the horizon of the beach tilts into view against the black sky, and continues to rotate back out of view, leaving behind a faint kaleidoscope of colors which are then sucked into the wake of the BlitzRocket.
[SOUND FX] A huge boom, followed by the great rushing sound of the wake. The sound of the wake continues in the interior shots, with a more confined, interior timbre.
[medium shot - interior] The Pope and second scribe in the BlitzRocket; the Pope utterly terrified, plastered against his seat, and the second scribe alert and concentrating on the readouts and the screen in front of her. In the background, many dials, indicator lights and other data readouts.
Spoiler:
[close-up: her POV] Part of instrumentation of the BlitzRocket. There are two screens at the top, each labelled [Sciscitor Stellar Navigation Corp.] and having a star logo. They are presently blank. Below, two digital readouts:
[frame 00072] and [NP 00021], each ticking off increasing numbers. Below that, two more screens, labelled:
[(mm) mscha multiplex (mm)], the one on the left showing a silhouette of a beach scene, and the one on the right showing a blue screen divided into sections with text and images. (note to production - style similar to phpbb) There is a row of lights between the two screens, changing pattern every time any of the images on the screens change, which is happening with increasing frequency. This is flanked on the left with a column of instruments labelled
[pikrass autopilot], consisting of a column of dials whose labels include framerate, NP/dix, PCD, PCD, and a set of switches whose labels are not legible. On the right, at the bottom, is a gold etched nameplate: [Kieryn BlitzRocket].

[close-up] The Pope
the Pope, trying to make himself heard above the noise wrote:What... Is... This... Thing...Doing??

[close-up] The control glove, being operated by the second scribe's hand, with very slight movements.
the second scribe wrote:We're about to find out.

The second scribe moves the control glove up and to the right in smooth, definite motion.
[SFX] [exterior - high above the beach] The BlitzRocket screams past and over the camera, bottom left to top right, as the camera fast-pans to follow. The curved horizon comes into view upper left, upside down, and the BlitzRocket banks and curves left towards it. The psychedelic wake of the BlitzRocket passes across the FOV from the left, washing out the view.
[SOUND FX] Thundering roar as the BlitzRocket passes.
[medium shot - interior] We see the second scribe from her right, reaching out with her right hand to adjust some of the myriad of controls. Her face is one of deep concentration. She pushes a button and the small slit for a front window opens fully, revealing the ground slowly spinning right in front of them as they dive down towards it.
[close-up] The Pope, white with fear.
the Pope wrote:We'reAllGonnaDieYou'reGonnaKillUsBeforeIGetAChanceToWringYourNeckWhatDidYouGetUsInto!

the second scribe wrote:We're going down for a run. Get out the Meowjestic Map!

the Pope wrote:Unicaim Vereiam Auctorus!!

The Pope tries his best to extricate himself from his seat but is petrified and cannot move. [The camera comes around to the side], showing more of the interior of the BlitzRocket, including and a side window through which we can see part of the rapidly approaching ground. The Pope finally manages to reach over with his hand to extract the map from the bag near the floor, catches sight of the sight out the window, and gasps. The camera trucks back to reveal the second scribe, who looks back and sees the Pope.
the second scribe wrote:Oh, don't be such a wuss!

She takes her left hand out of the control glove, reaches back into the bag, and hands the Pope the map. As she does so, the BlitzRocket goes somewhat off course, and the Pope squeaks out:
the Pope wrote:Wuss? What are you? Crazy?? PutYourHandBackInThatGloveThingRightNowBeforeWeAllDieAHorribleDeath!

[SFX] The BlitzRocket, passing the camera overhead, diving towards the ground, spinning slightly, starts to level off upside down. The camera, keeping the BlitzRocket in view, follows the craft, tilting upwards until the horizon comes into view, slanting from top right to bottom left.
the second scribe wrote:Oops.

[medium shot - interior] The second scribe puts her hand back into the glove, and the craft steadies itself. Numerous red lights turn to green, and the horizon comes into view out the front window. They are now much lower. Readouts on the frame/NP meters have gone into negative numbers and the screens are blank, but the trend reverses and the numbers start increasing towards zero again.
the second scribe wrote:Ok, look out the window and see if you can find us on the map. Trace out whatever you see onto the map. This is going to go quickly, so be ready.

[The camera pans] showing the Pope, his hands shaking, unrolling the scroll. He is muttering to himself with great intensity:
the Pope wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy you're gonna get a ticket in this thing! molpy molpy molpy

[close-up: the frame/NP meters and screens] The numbers reach zero and cross over into positive numbers, whereupon the screens come alive.
the second scribe wrote:Mark!

[close-up: the Pope sweat running down his brow.
the Pope wrote:Who's Mark???

the second scribe wrote:Mark! Now! Start recording!

The Pope braces himself, looks out the window, and struggles to find his place on the map.
[close-up] The display screens, showing the timeframes of the One True Comic, and the NewPages of the One True Thread clicking by. The second scribe's fingers dart across the screens and buttons. She pauses over one particular post, touches the screen, and the upper screen comes to life, showing what appears to be javascript source code.
[close-up] The second scribe. She smiles, and relaxes into her seat. All of a sudden a look of panic crosses her face; just briefly.
[close-up] The display screens. They change from legible English words to what appears to be gibberish. Her finger taps one of the screens and the top screen shows, in big letters, the word "Translate" She taps that screen.
[close-up] The second scribe, sighing in relief. Then she is startled again.
[close-up] The display screens. They change again from normal English into a different form of gibberish. The camera tilts up to the top screen, which shows the word "Morse". We see her finger tap the "Morse" screen, the camera tilts down again, and the other screens return to normal.
[close-up] The second scribe, alert and in control. Behind her we can see the Pope struggling to find where on the map the river he is seeing out the window is, with no success. He looks up and his eyes bug out in panic.
[his POV] Out the front window, we can see rising terrain rapidly approaching.
the Pope wrote:Look out!

The second scribe looks up from her screens, sees the terrain and makes a slight move with the control glove.
[SFX: POV of the hill crest] The BlitzRocket approaches and screams overhead like a jet fighter. The camera follows, righting itself and pedestalling up as the BlitzRocket passes overhead to show the BlitzRocket just miss the next hillcrest. As the camera rises through the glistening wake, we can see the valley of the Great Trees past the hillcrest.
the Second Scribe, in voice-over, wrote:Wow!

[medium shot - interior] The Pope, at the window, gaining a bit of composure but still fighting off his dread.
the Pope wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy where the hell are we on this miserable molpy molpy molpy I'm going to kill that Catographer when I molpy molpy molpy

The camera dollies back to show the second scribe, in utter ecstasy steering the BlitzRocket, her attention focused on the display screens, her fingers tapping the buttons nearby.
[her POV] Each tap changes one of the screens, and each tap on the OTT screen brings another image onto the higher screen. The image shown at this point is a cake in the shape of the number 400. It is replaced by an image of a velociraptor, and then by an animated image of somebody playing guitar, and then by what appears to be a star chart with lines all over it. With the flick of a switch, that image moves to the top left screen and starts expanding. The top right screen shows what looks like a circular etch-a-sketch diagram, with new arcs being added quickly in red.
the second scribe wrote:Hang on - firstposts!

[medium shot - interior] The two of them in the BlitzRocket.
the Pope wrote:What? molpy molpy molpy...

the second scribe wrote:I'm going to bump some firstposts. Brace yourself!

The Pope, staggering by the window, grabs hold of his seat. The BlitzRocket lurches, and lurches again, in sync with blue blurs which flash by outside the window behind the Pope.
the second scribe wrote:Ok, let's have the map.

The Pope hands her the scroll. She looks at it, puzzled.
the second scribe wrote:I thought you were mapping?

the Pope wrote:Mapping? Nothing matches up! Don't you know where we are?

The second scribe turns to her controls.
[close-up] The control glove. She moves her gloved hand up and to the left.
[SFX] As the camera tracks rapidly above the terrain, the BlitzRocket banks left and noses up into the first third of a loop, passing out of frame top left.
[close-up - the data screens.] The second scribe's fingers fly over the controls, and a crude map appears on the top screen. She taps a button and the word "ENHANCING" appears on the screen, and a detailed map replaces the crude map. She taps another button and the word "ENLARGING" appears, replaced by an aerial shot of a small stream and what appears to be a party of clerics, scribes, and timewaiters.
[SFX] The same POV as previous - the BlitzRocket completes the loop, re-entering the frame beneath us from behind, at close range.
[SOUND FX] A huge roar as the BlitzRocket passes underneath the camera.
the second scribe, voice-over, wrote:There. There they are. Strap in!

[medium shot - interior] Both of them in the BlitzRocket, preparing for landing. The Pope is sweating but no longer terrified. He has looked into the face of death and death turned away. For now. The second scribe is in her element. She deftly and confidently prepares the craft for landing.
[close-up] The red button. She grasps the button from the edge, and pulls it. It begins to flash.
[SOUND FX] The noise begins to diminish, and blends with choir voices singing a complex chord which resolves seamlessly into a pure heavenly tone. The sound ends with the cut to the next scene.
[cut to: exterior - day]
[wide shot] An idyllic stream in a grassy area on a clear day. Various clerics, scribes, and timewaiters are milling about.
[SOUND FX] Suddenly, there is a great noise, as if from the sea, but the sea is nowhere to be seen.
[SFX] - the sky darkens, and there is a deep rumbling, like an earthquake. The wind starts to pick up, and then to blow with fierceness. There is a huge blinding flash, and the sky turns red, then yellow, then green, and the colors start swirling, mixing with purple, and with colors that aren't even in the rainbow.
[continuing wide shot]... which causes much consternation among the clerics and timewaiters present. They look up excitedly, pointing, running, and shouting amongst themselves. Shouts of "BlitzGirl! Another BlitzGirl! are heard." The camera, following the crowd, pans up to show the BlitzRocket, descending gracefully and landing in a flat area not too far from the stream. Copious amounts of smoke and steam is coming off the hot skin of the BlitzRocket, as a huge crowd gathers around this mysterious foreign object.
[cut to: wide shot - POV the BlitzRocket] The First Cleric and fourth scribe are making their way through the crowd. The camera pulls back to show the BlitzRocket in the scene, and as they reach it, the hatch opens, (facing away from the camera, towards the First Cleric and fourth scribe).
[medium shot POV of the First Cleric] Front view of the BlitzRocket with its hatch up, showing the Pope and second scribe. The Pope is lying back in his seat and looks absolutely spent. He is still wearing the second scribe's scarlet robes, inside out, [with the Holy Arrow of Armageddon safely tucked underneath them.] The second scribe, wearing the Pope's golden robes inside out, has her hand in the control glove and is looking utterly radiant.
First Cleric wrote:Your Pontiffness!

fourth scribe wrote:I told you they were going to get some bottom!
Jose
<--previous (NP 782) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / (NP 862) next-->
Last edited by ucim on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

WowONG!
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

It's a tree⁷?
We must have looped around somehow, and standing above the Baobab grove again.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

More clerical acts and a wow! Life is good. Cooking doesn't get tougher than this. Oh no, wait, that's Masterchef.
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

ucim wrote:[scene 11]
[extreme close-up] A large, backlit red button, which the second scribe's pushes with her finger.
[SFX] The camera's frame distorts, all sides being stretched inward from their centers while the corners remain in place.
[SOUND FX] The high-pitched noise continues, intensifies and rises in pitch.
[SFX] As the frame reaches its maximal star-shaped compression, centered around the red button, there is a burst of light, then blackness against which the BlitzRocket screams away from us at great speed, leaving a trail of brilliant sparkles which slowly fade. As the sparkles are fading, the horizon of the beach tilts into view against the black sky, and continues to rotate back out of view, leaving behind a faint kaleidoscope of colors which are then sucked into the wake of the BlitzRocket.
[SOUND FX] A huge boom, followed by the great rushing sound of the wake. The sound of the wake continues in the interior shots, with a more confined, interior timbre.
[medium shot - interior] The Pope and second scribe in the BlitzRocket; the Pope utterly terrified, plastered against his seat, and the second scribe alert and concentrating on the readouts and the screen in front of her. In the background, many dials, indicator lights and other data readouts.
Spoiler:
[close-up: her POV] Part of instrumentation of the BlitzRocket. There are two screens at the top, each labelled [Sciscitor Stellar Navigation Corp.] and having a star logo. They are presently blank. Below, two digital readouts:
[frame 00072] and [NP 00021], each ticking off increasing numbers. Below that, two more screens, labelled:
[(mm) mscha multiplex (mm)], the one on the left showing a silhouette of a beach scene, and the one on the right showing a blue screen divided into sections with text and images. (note to production - style similar to phpbb) There is a row of lights between the two screens, changing pattern every time any of the images on the screens change, which is happening with increasing frequency. This is flanked on the left with a column of instruments labelled
[pikrass autopilot], consisting of a column of dials whose labels include framerate, NP/dix, PCD, PCD, and a set of switches whose labels are not legible. On the right, at the bottom, is a gold etched nameplate: [Kieryn BlitzRocket].

[close-up] The Pope
the Pope, trying to make himself heard above the noise wrote:What... Is... This... Thing...Doing??

[close-up] The control glove, being operated by the second scribe's hand, with very slight movements.
the second scribe wrote:We're about to find out.

The second scribe moves the control glove up and to the right in smooth, definite motion.
[SFX] [exterior - high above the beach] The BlitzRocket screams past and over the camera, bottom left to top right, as the camera fast-pans to follow. The curved horizon comes into view upper left, upside down, and the BlitzRocket banks and curves left towards it. The psychedelic wake of the BlitzRocket passes across the FOV from the left, washing out the view.
[SOUND FX] Thundering roar as the BlitzRocket passes.
[medium shot - interior] We see the second scribe from her right, reaching out with her right hand to adjust some of the myriad of controls. Her face is one of deep concentration. She pushes a button and the small slit for a front window opens fully, revealing the ground slowly spinning right in front of them as they dive down towards it.
[close-up] The Pope, white with fear.
the Pope wrote:We'reAllGonnaDieYou'reGonnaKillUsBeforeIGetAChanceToWringYourNeckWhatDidYouGetUsInto!

the second scribe wrote:We're going down for a run. Get out the Meowjestic Map!

the Pope wrote:Unicaim Vereiam Auctorus!!

The Pope tries his best to extricate himself from his seat but is petrified and cannot move. [The camera comes around to the side], showing more of the interior of the BlitzRocket, including and a side window through which we can see part of the rapidly approaching ground. The Pope finally manages to reach over with his hand to extract the map from the bag near the floor, catches sight of the sight out the window, and gasps. The camera trucks back to reveal the second scribe, who looks back and sees the Pope.
the second scribe wrote:Oh, don't be such a wuss!

She takes her left hand out of the control glove, reaches back into the bag, and hands the Pope the map. As she does so, the BlitzRocket goes somewhat off course, and the Pope squeaks out:
the Pope wrote:Wuss? What are you? Crazy?? PutYourHandBackInThatGloveThingRightNowBeforeWeAllDieAHorribleDeath!

[SFX] The BlitzRocket, passing the camera overhead, diving towards the ground, spinning slightly, starts to level off upside down. The camera, keeping the BlitzRocket in view, follows the craft, tilting upwards until the horizon comes into view, slanting from top right to bottom left.
the second scribe wrote:Oops.

[medium shot - interior] The second scribe puts her hand back into the glove, and the craft steadies itself. Numerous red lights turn to green, and the horizon comes into view out the front window. They are now much lower. Readouts on the frame/NP meters have gone into negative numbers and the screens are blank, but the trend reverses and the numbers start increasing towards zero again.
the second scribe wrote:Ok, look out the window and see if you can find us on the map. Trace out whatever you see onto the map. This is going to go quickly, so be ready.

[The camera pans] showing the Pope, his hands shaking, unrolling the scroll. He is muttering to himself with great intensity:
the Pope wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy you're gonna get a ticket in this thing! molpy molpy molpy

[close-up: the frame/NP meters and screens] The numbers reach zero and cross over into positive numbers, whereupon the screens come alive.
the second scribe wrote:Mark!

[close-up: the Pope sweat running down his brow.
the Pope wrote:Who's Mark???

the second scribe wrote:Mark! Now! Start recording!

The Pope braces himself, looks out the window, and struggles to find his place on the map.
[close-up] The display screens, showing the timeframes of the One True Comic, and the NewPages of the One True Thread clicking by. The second scribe's fingers dart across the screens and buttons. She pauses over one particular post, touches the screen, and the upper screen comes to life, showing what appears to be javascript source code.
[close-up] The second scribe. She smiles, and relaxes into her seat. All of a sudden a look of panic crosses her face; just briefly.
[close-up] The display screens. They change from legible English words to what appears to be gibberish. Her finger taps one of the screens and the top screen shows, in big letters, the word "Translate" She taps that screen.
[close-up] The second scribe, sighing in relief. Then she is startled again.
[close-up] The display screens. They change again from normal English into a different form of gibberish. The camera tilts up to the top screen, which shows the word "Morse". We see her finger tap the "Morse" screen, the camera tilts down again, and the other screens return to normal.
[close-up] The second scribe, alert and in control. Behind her we can see the Pope struggling to find where on the map the river he is seeing out the window is, with no success. He looks up and his eyes bug out in panic.
[his POV] Out the front window, we can see rising terrain rapidly approaching.
the Pope wrote:Look out!

The second scribe looks up from her screens, sees the terrain and makes a slight move with the control glove.
[SFX: POV of the hill crest] The BlitzRocket approaches and screams overhead like a jet fighter. The camera follows, righting itself and pedestalling up as the BlitzRocket passes overhead to show the BlitzRocket just miss the next hillcrest. As the camera rises through the glistening wake, we can see the valley of the Great Trees past the hillcrest.
the Second Scribe, in voice-over, wrote:Wow!

[medium shot - interior] The Pope, at the window, gaining a bit of composure but still fighting off his dread.
the Pope wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy where the hell are we on this miserable molpy molpy molpy I'm going to kill that Catographer when I molpy molpy molpy

The camera dollies back to show the second scribe, in utter ecstasy steering the BlitzRocket, her attention focused on the display screens, her fingers tapping the buttons nearby.
[her POV] Each tap changes one of the screens, and each tap on the OTT screen brings another image onto the higher screen. The image shown at this point is a cake in the shape of the number 400. It is replaced by an image of a velociraptor, and then by an animated image of somebody playing guitar, and then by what appears to be a star chart with lines all over it. With the flick of a switch, that image moves to the top left screen and starts expanding. The top right screen shows what looks like a circular etch-a-sketch diagram, with new arcs being added quickly in red.
the second scribe wrote:Hang on - firstposts!

[medium shot - interior] The two of them in the BlitzRocket.
the Pope wrote:What? molpy molpy molpy...

the second scribe wrote:I'm going to bump some firstposts. Brace yourself!

The Pope, staggering by the window, grabs hold of his seat. The BlitzRocket lurches, and lurches again, in sync with blue blurs which flash by outside the window behind the Pope.
the second scribe wrote:Ok, let's have the map.

The Pope hands her the scroll. She looks at it, puzzled.
the second scribe wrote:I thought you were mapping?

the Pope wrote:Mapping? Nothing matches up! Don't you know where we are?

The second scribe turns to her controls.
[close-up] The control glove. She moves her gloved hand up and to the left.
[SFX] As the camera tracks rapidly above the terrain, the BlitzRocket banks left and noses up into the first third of a loop, passing out of frame top left.
[close-up - the data screens.] The second scribe's fingers fly over the controls, and a crude map appears on the top screen. She taps a button and the word "ENHANCING" appears on the screen, and a detailed map replaces the crude map. She taps another button and the word "ENLARGING" appears, replaced by an aerial shot of a small stream and what appears to be a party of clerics, scribes, and timewaiters.
[SFX] The same POV as previous - the BlitzRocket completes the loop, re-entering the frame beneath us from behind, at close range.
[SOUND FX] A huge roar as the BlitzRocket passes underneath the camera.
the second scribe, voice-over, wrote:There. There they are. Strap in!

[medium shot - interior] Both of them in the BlitzRocket, preparing for landing. The Pope is sweating but no longer terrified. He has looked into the face of death and death turned away. For now. The second scribe is in her element. She deftly and confidently prepares the craft for landing.
[close-up] The red button. She grasps the button from the edge, and pulls it. It begins to flash.
[SOUND FX] The noise begins to diminish, and blends with choir voices singing a complex chord which resolves seamlessly into a pure heavenly tone. The sound ends with the cut to the next scene.
[cut to: exterior - day]
[wide shot] An idyllic stream in a grassy area on a clear day. Various clerics, scribes, and timewaiters are milling about.
[SOUND FX] Suddenly, there is a great noise, as if from the sea, but the sea is nowhere to be seen.
[SFX] - the sky darkens, and there is a deep rumbling, like an earthquake. The wind starts to pick up, and then to blow with fierceness. There is a huge blinding flash, and the sky turns red, then yellow, then green, and the colors start swirling, mixing with purple, and with colors that aren't even in the rainbow.
[continuing wide shot]... which causes much consternation among the clerics and timewaiters present. They look up excitedly, pointing, running, and shouting amongst themselves. Shouts of "BlitzGirl! Another BlitzGirl! are heard." The camera, following the crowd, pans up to show the BlitzRocket, descending gracefully and landing in a flat area not too far from the stream. Copious amounts of smoke and steam is coming off the hot skin of the BlitzRocket, as a huge crowd gathers around this mysterious foreign object.
[cut to: wide shot - POV the BlitzRocket] The First Cleric and fourth scribe are making their way through the crowd. The camera pulls back[/i] to show the BlitzRocket in the scene, and as they reach it, the hatch opens, (facing away from the camera, towards the First Cleric and fourth scribe).
[b][medium shot POV of the First Cleric]
Front view of the BlitzRocket with its hatch up, showing the Pope and second scribe. The Pope is lying back in his seat and looks absolutely spent. He is still wearing the second scribe's scarlet robes, inside out, [with the Holy Arrow of Armageddon safely tucked underneath them.] The second scribe, wearing the Pope's golden robes inside out, has her hand in the control glove and is looking utterly radiant.
First Cleric wrote:Your Pontiffness!

fourth scribe wrote:I told you they were going to get some bottom!
Jose
<--previous (NP 782) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

So exciting!! :mrgreen:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

What did they see! What did they see!

I think they really don't know how anything works, but they are good at figuring things out. Sandcastles and trebuchets and other forms of engineering come naturally to them, but they don't know much about the world factually. Also it's possible that they've never been outside of their arid region, so they don't know about most animals or birds, or water for that matter. I still feel like some kind of cliche amnesia would make sense.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

ucim wrote:[close-up: her POV] Part of instrumentation of the BlitzRocket. There are two screens at the top, each labelled [Sciscitor Stellar Navigation Corp.] and having a star logo.

Ha! I've acquired myself a corporation!
Great writing, ucim.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

don't fall down the waterfall-ONG

Ummm. Yes. Wow.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

*gapes in awe*

*gapes some more*

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Wow. Fall.
Go Minim go!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

good call, mscha!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:good call, mscha!

*harrumph*
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

This'll bring all the tribe back to the cave. Everyone saying "WOW". They'll want a strong rope now, to continue in this direction.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:This'll bring all the tribe back to the cave. Everyone saying "WOW". They'll want a strong rope now, to continue in this direction.

They'll need to go back for their backpacks first.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:This'll bring all the tribe back to the cave. Everyone saying "WOW". They'll want a strong rope now, to continue in this direction.

They'll need to go back for their backpacks first.

Or back to the outback outfitter for rope.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Holy shit.

Also. mscha, nice one.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Holy shit.

Also. mscha, nice one.

Hmmm. Language is a bit strong for someone NOT the pope of the page. TheMinim, take note.
-- Charlie Grumbles

HES

Postby HES » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

I feel this is the appropriate response. "Wow" doesn't quite cut it.
He/Him/His Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

*harrumph*

Oh, Sciscitor, my apologies - I was seduced by mscha's colored rendition. You win the Saturdix Prescience Award. *trumpets blare, small children clap their hands, men and women marvel at your talents!!! If Valarya were here, she'd bring cupcakes.

ed then deleted edit.

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Also. mscha, nice one.

Hmmm. Language is a bit strong for someone NOT the pope of the page. TheMinim, take note.

Sorry! I'm also a redditor and keep forgetting to turn off my profanity module when I go to other fora.

HES wrote:

I feel this is the appropriate response. "Wow" doesn't quite cut it.

My sentiments exactly.

Edit: I just realized what this reminds me of! Look at number 3 in this article.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:don't fall down the waterfall-ONG

Ummm. Yes. Wow.

Wow, indeed. :mrgreen:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

One NP to make it clear they've stopped, before a rotation of view next NP?

On a side project related note, what was the consensus on frame widths? If 1 cue = player height = 73 hammer units, how wide is each frame?

Depends on the current zoom level. That changes often enough we'll probably have to do it on a frame-by-frame basis.

Selcouth wrote:
Edit: I just realized what this reminds me of! Look at number 3 in this article.

Wow. That's intense. I hope they don't fall in...

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

So, anybody figured out if this kind of waterfall is near a baobab on Madagascar?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

Still look-ONG
-- Charlie Grumbles

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Hmm: http://www.madagascarhotels-direct.com/ ... ndringitra

The locals believe that swimming in the waters will help infertile couples conceive, so careful! The 2 waterfalls tumble dramatically over 250m and are quite a remarkable sight! The hike up to the waterfalls is flanked by exquisite scenery. From wet tropical forest to alpine meadows, the variety is almost unbelievable. Visitors can stay at the Tsara Camp, which consists of ten tents.

Semenbabywaterfalls.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Hmm: http://www.madagascarhotels-direct.com/ ... ndringitra

The locals believe that swimming in the waters will help infertile couples conceive, so careful! The 2 waterfalls tumble dramatically over 250m and are quite a remarkable sight! The hike up to the waterfalls is flanked by exquisite scenery. From wet tropical forest to alpine meadows, the variety is almost unbelievable. Visitors can stay at the Tsara Camp, which consists of ten tents.

Semenbabywaterfalls.

Try this: (waterfalls Andringitra National Park), in Google maps and turn on Google Earth. Zoom back to see the sea.

Seriously rough country, though. I think no nearby baobabs.

Maybe inter-frame cuegan has a helicopter to get around. Jus' sayin'
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Waterfallish new chapter, ucim!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:

*harrumph*

Indeed, for the record, both Sciscitor and zorin_75 beat me to it.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
mscha wrote:Edit: not sure how the GLR will have drawn this. The water is black, the rocks are black, might be hard to see anything.

Probably a side view. The way the water looks in the last 2 frames, I think you're right -- it is a waterfall.

And a good call to Earthing on Mars on this.

It is a ⁷ waterfall, indeed. (Too bad Cuegan's vocabulary is too limited to come up with a new way to describe it.)
Last edited by mscha on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:42 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”