1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pelrigg

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:30 am UTC

(On an all but empty thread, I'll pin this up and fade back into the night.)

It's seems to have slipped by unremarked, but with this last Ong, there are now more frames for this, The Second Act, than for the First Act. Perhaps we will segue into Act Three without fanfare or perhaps some event will show to mark the transition.

A Prediction
When Megan and Cueball return to where their bags were, the bags will be gone. Taken by the "Campfire People".

or slight variation
One or more members of the "Campfire People" will be there, waiting for them.

(new page Pope of 809? for how long, I wonder?)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:37 am UTC

azule wrote:Image
Post, then ONG. Besides, they ONGed while they were talkONG.

To answer your question, Cuegan - high up in the North in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Every thousand newpix a little river comes to this rock to fall off the edge. When the river has thus worn the rock away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:49 am UTC

Bah! That was only supposed to be a MicroComa, I went for a nap around 4pmHOT, set my alarm (personal ONG) for just a couple of newpix later so I could wake up for dinner, but slept through my alarm and woke up around midnightHOT, meaning not only did my family have a BBQ without me (grr), I also missed the WOWterfall!

HOT Heretical Outside Time
Anyway... very riverish Image

BlitzGirl wrote:And yes, that's my Mopey Mome smiley, to avoid having to say it every time I land at the top of a newpage. :wink:

I couldn't resist, I made you a custom Mopey Mome smiley :P
Spoiler:
mopeymome.gif
mopeymome.gif (1.11 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

AluisioASG wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:However, Everybody Loves Pizza.

FTFY

This confuses me, is there actually a difference?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:53 am UTC

OTC Field Guide

Beesnake (Apocrita elongata)

Physiology:

A beesnake is made up of a head, thorax, and an indeterminate number of anteriors, starting with an abdomen.

Their eyes are made up of an ever growing number of smaller "eyes", each the size of a tiny sand grain. As it matures, its eyes gain more of these grains. Current research places the average adult count so far at 2000.

The thorax has six legs. This is not enough to stabilize its long body. This issue is solved in the anterior.

The abdomen is followed by anterior segments. Its elongated body has elastic tendons connecting each of its tail segments. A new segment is added for each year of its life. It has 2 sets of fangs each segment, starting with the second segment. The fangs are cone shaped with a serrated circular opening. The fangs also act as pegs to facilitate steadying when grounded.

Sexual Dimorphism:
The head of the female has two antennae, used as spears.

Habitat:

The beesnake starts its life near baobab trees. As they grow, they venture further away, mostly making their homes near bushes and small trees.

They camouflage while hanging spiraled around the branches of bushes and trees.

Their coloring is ultraviolet. Other creatures (that see in monotones) see only black and white.

Behavior:

It is normally peaceful, but if threatened will attack by wrapping its long body around the victim and puncturing its hide with sharp "feet", which are actually teeth.

Diet:

They feed on the leaves of small trees, and the bark of the baobab. When fighting off a predator it will consume its blood and flesh.

Mating Rituals:

The beesnake mates between the trunks of baobab trees.

Its tail connects to another via a single tendril (that is itself forked onto each half of its last segment). The tendrils curl around each other, creating a tension based knot.

During mating, they will feast on a baobab tree, surrounding it with the length of 2 beesnake, connected tail to tail, leaving behind a rotated path, a ring, on the tree. The beesnake stretches as it chomps, until it reaches its lover, head to head, then stops after a moment. Over decades a baobab tree will be felled by this behavior.

When the heads reach, the female will stab the male with its spike antennae, causing a release of adrenaline in the male that forces the sperm to transfer into the female.

Edit: The original post has been moved into the following spoiler:
Spoiler:
I know the wipend is a bad time to get feedback, but if you'all are bored enough, check this out. I'm working on a presentation. Review, and I'll meet you below the footnotes.

OTC Field Guide

Beesnake (Apocrita Elongatius1 || Apocrypha Elongatius2 || Lineavolucris Apiserpens3)

Physiology:

A beesnake is made up of a head, thorax, and an indeterminate number of anteriors, starting with an abdomen.

The head has two antennae, used the same as other insects.

Their eyes are made up of an ever growing number of smaller "eyes", each the size of a tiny sand grain. As it grows, its eyes gain more of these grains. Current research places largest count so far at 2000.

The thorax has six legs. This is not enough to stabilize its long body. This issue is solved in the anterior.

The abdomen is followed by anterior segments. Its elongated body has elastic tendons connecting each of its tail segments. A new segment is added for each year of its life. It has 2 sets of fangs each segment, starting with the second segment. The fangs are cones with a serrated circular opening. The fangs act as pegs to facilitate steadying when grounded.

Habitat:
TBD

Behavior:
TBD

Diet:
TBD

Mating Rituals:
TBD

1First attempt.
2Change from first to be witty.
3ChronosDragon's suggestion.

The major point of feedback I'd like is with the Latin name. I don't know Latin, help is appreciated.
Next, general feedback, suggestions. The TBD's actually have content, but I'm attempting to spark interest with mystery (and I'm not done completely). Feel free to suggest for these too.

Thanks.
Last edited by azule on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 am UTC

How much of the beesnake physiology has been actually observed, and how much is speculation? I don't, for example, recall seeing any evidence of antennae, even with ENHANCE. So, if you are doing science, [citation needed].

OTOH, if you are laying down the taxonomy of imaginary creatures for future literature creations, then this is a good start. But in this case, I'd ask whether the idea is to have guidelines for how to consistently use beesnakes (for example) in future stories, or if the guide itself is the literature being created. That will dictate the best direction in which to proceed.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 am UTC

BEARBAITONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:11 am UTC

azule wrote:I know the wipend is a bad time to get feedback, but if you'all are bored enough, check this out. I'm working on a presentation. Review, and I'll meet you below the footnotes.

OTC Field Guide

Beesnake (Apocrita Elongatius1 || Apocrypha Elongatius2 || Lineavolucris Apiserpens3)

Physiology:
Spoiler:

The head has two antennae, used the same as other insects.

Their eyes are made up of an ever growing number of smaller "eyes", each the size of a tiny sand grain. As it grows, its eyes gain more of these grains. Current research places largest count so far at 2000.

The abdomen is followed by anterior segments. Its elongated body has elastic tendons connecting each of its tail segments. A new segment is added for each year of its life. It has 2 sets of fangs each segment, starting with the second segment. The fangs are cones with a serrated circular opening. The fangs act as pegs to facilitate steadying when grounded.

Habitat:
TBD

Behavior:
TBD

Diet:
TBD

Mating Rituals:
TBD

1First attempt.
2Change from first to be witty.
3ChronosDragon's suggestion.

The major point of feedback I'd like is with the Latin name. I don't know Latin, help is appreciated.
Next, general feedback, suggestions. The TBD's actually have content, but I'm attempting to spark interest with mystery (and I'm not done completely). Feel free to suggest for these too.

Thanks.

Ooh! Will you be compiling an OTC bestiary? I do believe Ucim is familiar with Latin. Perhaps he may be of assistance.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:12 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

FTFY

There is, if you ever watched LOST, or a certain heretical TV show.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:15 am UTC

ucim wrote:How much of the beesnake physiology has been actually observed, and how much is speculation? I don't, for example, recall seeing any evidence of antennae, even with ENHANCE. So, if you are doing science, [citation needed].

OTOH, if you are laying down the taxonomy of imaginary creatures for future literature creations, then this is a good start. But in this case, I'd ask whether the idea is to have guidelines for how to consistently use beesnakes (for example) in future stories, or if the guide itself is the literature being created. That will dictate the best direction in which to proceed.

Jose
Unless Randall releases the hi-def version of the OTC, the first thought is out. Even with a normal zoom in much detail would have to be surmised.

So, yeah, it's basically the story-style taxonomy. It's actually a complement to something else (more mystery). It's all in good fun. (Isn't that what Time is all about?) Good, detailed fun. :)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:21 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

FTFY

There is, if you ever watched LOST, or a certain heretical TV show.

Oh, I never saw that.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:31 am UTC

azule wrote:...So, yeah, it's basically the story-style taxonomy. It's actually a complement to something else (more mystery)...
Be careful you don't write yourself into a corner then. If the plot would be more interesting if the beesnakes had six eyes, two legs, and you've already decided that they have two eyes and six legs (but didn't use that in the story yet), you'd be stuck either changing the taxonomy (in which case why do that first), or foregoing that particular treeish plot element. I'd say let your story dictate the taxonomy as needed, and use your chart to keep track of what you've already used and decided on.

As to Latin, I've heard of it, and I know where to find google translate. I'm not the one to go to for Latin help. I do however know the ancient language of the Clerics. It sounds a little bit like Latin, but the grammar is different and some of the words clearly have other origins.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 am UTC

As promised, The Last Time Waiter, chapter 4: The Engineer, part 1:

Spoiler:
The interior of the Facility seemed to be as big as the rock upon which it had been built. The Archduchess and the Engineer led the way, having a very animated conversation; a couple meters apart from them, the rest of the Party followed.

They were now crossing a large and very lengthy glass corridor situated above the ground floor, from which was possible to see all the ⅓ of the building that was owned by Mr. O'Connor. Small flying robots went to and froover the earth about their little affairs around them, making buzzing noises and emitting various colors. On the ground, whiteboards, bookshelves and industrial equipment filled the space in well-organized lines. At the far end of the hallway, it was possible to see a bright, blue light emanating from some big device.

The Arch-Cardinal buffygirl was feeling cool and unsympathetic slightly uncomfortable being out of the discussion, so she quickened her pace so she could hear the two ahead of her.

The Engineer wrote:…simplicity is the key to endurance. The less components, the less points of failure a device has, combined with an appropriate design and assembly process and specifically-crafted materials, the longer a device is able to function without requiring any kind of maintenance. Speaking of which, we are currently researching self-repairing systems; the biggest problem, of course, is: who maintains the self-maintenance systems? Another question we inherited out of the dark mystery of Time and Space.

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:From your description, I believe such a system would be essential for our project.

The Engineer wrote:Indeed it would be. It will require levels of reliability never before attained.

The Engineer stopped on his tracks.
The Engineer wrote:And we are honored on being offered such an important enterprise. And we'll be glad to accept it.

BlitzGirl broadened her usual smile.
Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:It's very good to hear that, Mr. O'Connor.

The Engineer wrote:You must be aware that, as we don't have all required technology yet, I can't promise you a delivery date. It may take a few years.

Knight Temporal BlitzGirl wrote:Better than never. We can wait for it.

The Engineer wrote:Very well then.

The Engineer then touched a strange device on his right ear.
The Engineer (broadcasting) wrote:Attention all personnel: rescheduling meeting in two one echo minus three.

(It's going to be a very interesting meeting; all his personnel are robots…)

And question: should buffygirl be a villain?
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:47 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
ucim wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:please help yourself to some of my blue pizza.
Ooooh! Yummy! (what makes it blue? Did you play it too many sad songs?)

Jose

I used a vegetable based dye to color the dough. My wife and I were bored. But yes, indeed Azule, the dough does appear green on the top, where the cheese melted. But the interior of the dough was definitely blue. I shall blame any additional discoloration on poor lighting.

I have been tempted to try purple.

Definitely try purple, it's my household's favorite colour for yeast doughs; just seems to taste better, for some reason. 8-) Gel colours have worked much better for me than liquids, though.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:...So, yeah, it's basically the story-style taxonomy. It's actually a complement to something else (more mystery)...
Be careful you don't write yourself into a corner then. If the plot would be more interesting if the beesnakes had six eyes, two legs, and you've already decided that they have two eyes and six legs (but didn't use that in the story yet), you'd be stuck either changing the taxonomy (in which case why do that first), or foregoing that particular treeish plot element. I'd say let your story dictate the taxonomy as needed, and use your chart to keep track of what you've already used and decided on.
Sorry, I guess I misspoke. I meant to refer to your second paragraph. It would be more like the bestiary k.bookbinder mentioned. Which, I think, is what I'm doing...so I might change the title. You guys are helping already. :)

ucim wrote:As to Latin, I've heard of it, and I know where to find google translate. I'm not the one to go to for Latin help. I do however know the ancient language of the Clerics. It sounds a little bit like Latin, but the grammar is different and some of the words clearly have other origins.

Jose
I am happy to hear your opinion of its aesthetic qualities. Does it convey the right thing (without getting too Wile E. Coyote)? That kind of thing.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:01 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:don't fall down the waterfall-ONG

Ummm. Yes. Wow.

But how much of the wowsieness can they actually see? They won't see the waterfall unless they go over the edge.

I predict they will get a barrel from Ikea and float away, and down in it.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:10 am UTC

SMOTHERONG...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 am UTC

Vytron wrote:You did it taixzo!!!

taixzo wrote:Also, congratulations Vytron!

Thanks! People haven't requested any hats yet, that I know of, but they will, eventually!

Thanks!!

Can I have a hat?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:31 am UTC

mscha wrote:SMOTHERONG...

-- posted by newpixbot

I'm almost positive now that mscha has changed newpixbot to make him replace ings with ongs now, instead of just finding real Ong words. Oooooorrrrrrrrrr newpixbot has evolved. I need someone else to notice this, or refute it. Am I losing my mind?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 am UTC

So I probably should have gone with a frog, but I left the traditional crayfish in ("a sign of the emerging subconscious and its influence over the conscious mind"), but with the understanding from the page I found it on, that it is specifically a rock lobster. Two of the other original images may be familiar to the subject of the card (I hope). And if I didn't obscure them too much, the towers should be more widely (though barely) recognizable.

As for the card interpretation, I'm overlooking any malicious connotations and seeing the deception aspect purely in terms of how we might have been surprised by the subject's usual genre, considering the tone of his first offering.
Tarot_Moon.jpg

Spoiler:

I have a question. Looking at the usual interpretations for the Swords suit, I think there are fewer good matches to exploit. I propose replacing it with a 'sWords suit, as in, "'tis words", and replacing the sword imagery with pens, which are mightier anyhoo. That way we could have, for example, a Six of 'sWords card honouring that beautiful sestina ergman wrote. These cards would probably stray further from the layout and interpretations of the Rider-Waite deck. Does anyone mind?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:46 am UTC

ergman wrote:
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

I'm almost positive now that mscha has changed newpixbot to make him replace ings with ongs now, instead of just finding real Ong words. Oooooorrrrrrrrrr newpixbot has evolved. I need someone else to notice this, or refute it. Am I losing my mind?

Are you open to both of these?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:53 am UTC

@ggh - Beautifully done, again. If you don't mind me saying, I wonder how this is related to the OTC/OTT. I don't recall a moon or wolf theme. :?

ergman wrote:

-- posted by newpixbot

Hehe, I noticed, but I was having patience, and simply waiting for mscha to confirm or deny your concerns. I think NPB has been adjusted exactly as you say (or is on his way to sentience :mrgreen: ).

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:56 am UTC

azule wrote:
ucim wrote:
Sorry, I guess I misspoke. I meant to refer to your second paragraph. It would be more like the bestiary k.bookbinder mentioned. Which, I think, is what I'm doing...so I might change the title. You guys are helping already. :)

ucim wrote:As to Latin, I've heard of it, and I know where to find google translate. I'm not the one to go to for Latin help. I do however know the ancient language of the Clerics. It sounds a little bit like Latin, but the grammar is different and some of the words clearly have other origins.

Jose
I am happy to hear your opinion of its aesthetic qualities. Does it convey the right thing (without getting too Wile E. Coyote)? That kind of thing.

I'm all for this idea. My phylogeny was hardly exhaustive, and I am honored to let a more skilled cladographer could form a more complete collection of comic species. Will you be doing plants too? And protists? (don't forget about those brain-eating amoebas!)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 am UTC

NOTNEWPIXBOTONG

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:03 am UTC

I have had far too much Outside life lately to do any blitzing or ketchuping. Has anybody done a new stitched-together image to see how the wowiness picture relates to sea level back when they started the climb into the mountains? Or updated the earlier maps?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:04 am UTC

azule wrote:@ggh - Beautifully done, again. If you don't mind me saying, I wonder how this is related to the OTC/OTT. I don't recall a moon or wolf theme. :?

Hmm, maybe I tangented too far. It was supposed to be a yappo card. I thought with his enjoyment of being anti-pope of the page of the beast, he'd like one of the darker cards. The animal on the left is an otter. The moon is from an album cover of a band he recommended. The wolf and crayfish are elements of the usual tarot, but this specific wolf is from another metal album cover, and the cray is a rock lobster. The shadowy towers are from his molpy-grapevine video.

Too obscure? Should I try again?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:22 am UTC

azule wrote:Beesnake (Apocrita Elongatius1 || Apocrypha Elongatius2 || Lineavolucris Apiserpens3)

Thanks.

I would suggest: Apocrita elongata, Apocrypha elongata, Lineavolucris apiserpens

I don't actually know Latin, but from long experience with binomial names, exact conformation to real latin isn't entirely necessary...and these names wouldn't make anyone in the field blink.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 am UTC

ggh wrote:So I probably should have gone with a frog, but I left the traditional crayfish in ("a sign of the emerging subconscious and its influence over the conscious mind"), but with the understanding from the page I found it on, that it is specifically a rock lobster. Two of the other original images may be familiar to the subject of the card (I hope). And if I didn't obscure them too much, the towers should be more widely (though barely) recognizable.

As for the card interpretation, I'm overlooking any malicious connotations and seeing the deception aspect purely in terms of how we might have been surprised by the subject's usual genre, considering the tone of his first offering.
Spoiler:

Ohhh I think this one's for me! The otter, the fact that my usual genre is different to my first offering, and I definitely spot some molpybadgers in the background!
ggh wrote:
azule wrote:@ggh - Beautifully done, again. If you don't mind me saying, I wonder how this is related to the OTC/OTT. I don't recall a moon or wolf theme. :?

Hmm, maybe I tangented too far. It was supposed to be a yappo card. I thought with his enjoyment of being anti-pope of the page of the beast, he'd like one of the darker cards. The animal on the left is an otter. The moon is from an album cover of a band he recommended. The wolf and crayfish are elements of the usual tarot, but this specific wolf is from another metal album cover, and the cray is a rock lobster. The shadowy towers are from his molpy-grapevine video.

...aaand I was right! Don't worry, at least I noticed it was referring to me :) I have to admit I don't know what album covers you're talking about though :oops:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:56 am UTC

You're not crazy, ergman. :wink: mscha said earlier he was going to work on newpixbot:
mscha wrote:Yeah, the birthday problem strikes again...
I'll see if I can teach newpixbot some new ONGy trickses.

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And yes, that's my Mopey Mome smiley, to avoid having to say it every time I land at the top of a newpage. :wink:

My very own smiley! Image Thank you!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:59 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:...aaand I was right! Don't worry, at least I noticed it was referring to me :) I have to admit I don't know what album covers you're talking about though :oops:

Ha, that's what happen when someone who knows nothing about metal tries to make a metally pic! The wolf is from Wolf - Edge of the World, and the moon is from DragonForce.

Oops - gotta run - late for a dinner....
Agatha the Awesomeful

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:01 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I'm all for this idea. My phylogeny was hardly exhaustive, and I am honored to let a more skilled cladographer could form a more complete collection of comic species. Will you be doing plants too? And protists? (don't forget about those brain-eating amoebas!)
Yeah, one step at a time...lol. Um. But I do think the amoebas would be a nice one to do.

@trolleypup - Cleaning up the edges of my Molpylatin is appreciated, thanks.

ggh wrote:Hmm, maybe I tangented too far. It was supposed to be a yappo card. I thought with his enjoyment of being anti-pope of the page of the beast, he'd like one of the darker cards. The animal on the left is an otter. The moon is from an album cover of a band he recommended. The wolf and crayfish are elements of the usual tarot, but this specific wolf is from another metal album cover, and the cray is a rock lobster. The shadowy towers are from his molpy-grapevine video.

Oh! I did see that cover. And the otter, sorry, couldn't tell. Makes sense now, so not really a bad thing. :)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:04 am UTC

ggh wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:...aaand I was right! Don't worry, at least I noticed it was referring to me :) I have to admit I don't know what album covers you're talking about though :oops:

Ha, that's what happen when someone who knows nothing about metal tries to make a metally pic! The wolf is from Wolf - Edge of the World, and the moon is from DragonForce.

Ahh, I don't know the first one (although I know of the band) but now you mention the DragonForce one I instantly recognise it, thanks :P

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:

My very own smiley! Image Thank you!

Well I did owe you one for this! Image :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:10 am UTC

UNKONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 am UTC

azule wrote:But the point was people know cliche and not trope (as was my knowledge base, long ago), and that was how it is best to explain the realm of tropes is through that comparison. Though, yeah, I was originally bringing up a wholly unrelated topic: vocab, lexicon, whatever it is. I probably should have tried looking it up to get a clearer definition.

Trope, cliché, stereotype, archetype, pattern. If people start adding "just a" to trope, then it will be indistinguishable from cliché ("oh, that's just a trope").

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:-------- <- another double post preventor. (Still not sure why this is better than a double post.)

Well, we gotta have standards!

There are good arguments either way, and (IMHO) neither method is inherently worse. Similarly the question of whether a post should be editable could also easily go either way. However, once one method is chosen, this creates expectations in the reader, and reading is smoother if the agreed-upon standard is mostly adhered to. (I will also note that there are good arguments for not choosing, but that is not a choice we got to make.)

Posts here come with quite a bit of overhead: the header, the icons, the signature, the sidebar statistics, and they occupy space and slow down the reading. So, consider it a form of organic data compression. :)
Jose

I find sigs slow down reading about five thousand times more than the thread framework stuff; the avatar and user stats are over on the side where one is accustomed to ignore adverts.
The double post rule is telling us to ensure someone else posts something before we post something. This is a recipe for Tread paralysis and checking it is a massive spoiler for blitzgirlies.
*glances over at Valarya*

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 am UTC

Ugh....eugh...I think I need to stop interneting for tonight. Just got off of r/fifthworldpics and somehow immediately after found my way to an incredibly disturbing music video about cats. Would not recommend either, big nightmare fuel. Anyway, going to go try to coma...wish me luck...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:23 am UTC

What did Cueball pick up? And is he going to throw it over the wowterfall?

I suppose I shall find out later, because now I'm off to go...
C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.

C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

KayZ

Postby KayZ » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:33 am UTC

I'm pretty sure Cueball took a semencancercoffeeeball (or a stone) and will throw it down to postulate a theory of semencancercoffeebabyattraction (might call it gravity too).

Also, another youtube video about it: youtube . com/watch?v=Tg_95N1S5oo&t=49s
And it is about a trip, but another kind of trip.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:52 am UTC

Scroll up a bit: I'm leaning toward "Apocrita Elongata" as I think a beesnake is essentially part of the bee family. I really like ChronosDragon's try, but it's more snakey. Maybe someone can enlighten me on the snake connection beyond appearance,...maybe Valarya?

ChronosDragon wrote:Ugh....eugh...I think I need to stop interneting for tonight. Just got off of r/fifthworldpics and somehow immediately after found my way to an incredibly disturbing music video about cats. Would not recommend either, big nightmare fuel. Anyway, going to go try to coma...wish me luck...

Good luck! (When you're back, what could be so disturbing? "Heavy Metal Cats"?)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Good work on The Wait, ergman. Have another erg.

charlie_grumbles wrote:philosophizing-ONG

You're making things up, Megan. Who told you the rock used to be less worn?

Chocolate or pizza. Why choose?
Spoiler:

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 am UTC

Exodies wrote:Chocolate or pizza.

Cake or death?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:07 am UTC

ONG time
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”