1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Definitely looks like a flutterbee doing this:
Spoiler:

Mhm... I said as much when mscha did the first buttermolpy hunting gif.
Valarya wrote:I absolutely love how you can see the buttermolpyfacebugbeesnake flapping it's wings when it lands on that bush in my pantsW.

mscha wrote:I wrote a sONG for y'all......
Paranoid Newpixbot
based on Radiohead's Paranoid Android
-- posted by newpixbot

Image OMR newpixbot you've outdone yourself this time. be still my beating heart... Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I predict we will have one more newpix with this backdrop, perhaps with some beesnake movement.

BlueCrab wrote:<snip> jjjdavidson, I've read that many men don't perceive colors in as many shades as most women do, but I can't remember if it's because men's brains tend not to have the pathways developed, or because of the same rods and cones issue I mentioned above. You're lucky! </snip>

Made me think of the Color Survey blag post by GLR, and "baige." :lol:

That link distracted me for far too long
Rule110 wrote:
spamjam wrote:THENEXTONG
Spoiler:

If we stay on this view any longer, I'll start getting concerned that we'll next see Cueball and Megan tumbling back down the slope. Or to be more specific, Cueball falling down, breaking his crown, and Megan tumbling after.

I got a scarily nostalgic reading that last sentence. It was one of those times that you had completely forgetten something (in this case, all nursery rhymes) exists
mscha wrote:I wrote a sONG for y'all......

When did newpixbot learn musical creativity? The singularity draws ever closer...
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:40 am UTC

To end this page: I've posted The Last Time Waiter on Archive of Our Own (I'm not sure who recommended it, but thanks anyway).
I believe it'll be a much easier way to read it than the 3-posts per chapter I was doing :)

I encourage other writers here to do the same.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Over at the Otherothercomic The Oatmeal I stumbled over these related items:
The Mantis Shrimp and the Rabtor:
Spoiler:

Oops, Ninja'd! That's what blindposting will get you. Shoulda Waited for it :wink:

Edit: Hello? Isn't there supposed be someone atop the page before me? Huh... First time PagePope :D

Being a benevolent and very sleepy pope, I would like to see bedcakes. No, wait, shrimp cakes! Please!

Edit2: Some firstposts must have been released by the mods, or someone deleted some posts - I don't think I was sleepy enough to imagine I was pagepope :oops: ...No, I see shrimpcakes, it must be the Thread!
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 am UTC

For page-pope:

Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Valarya wrote:For page-pope:

I see your shrimp-cupcake and raise you: a REAL shrimp-cake!

Spoiler:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 am UTC

BusybusybeesnakeONG
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 am UTC

I hope that Cuegan have not fallen off some cliff whilst we've been left to watch the flutterbeesnake, flying about. Guess I shall find out in the mornix. Coma well all, keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:13 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I see your shrimp-cupcake and raise you: a REAL shrimp-cake!
That's no shrimp! That's a baby jumbo-shrimp!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Squee! Excellent, thank you!

And now, unfortunately, I really must go coma. :? A good Wait to all, and to all a good Wait!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Come on, Cuegan, where are you?

ChronosDragon wrote:

Spoiler:

Pssh. I see your so-called "real" shrimp-cake and raise you: Two (2) real REAL shrimp-cakes!

Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:01 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
ucim wrote:No, "y'all" is singular. The plural is "all y'all"
I think you mean ambiguous. Y'all refers to a select group which could be singular or plural e.g. "How y'all doin". All y'all is always plural and refers to a general group, or everyone within ear shot "All y'all listen up now".
Edit: Of course there's also "yous guys" if you're in the vicinity of New Jersey.

“Y'all” grates on my nerves largely because it's used incorrectly so often. If the phrase “you all” can be properly substituted, then “y'all” is a correct dialect-specific second-person plural.
But I really can't stand it when “y'all” is used by people from outside of the “y'all” zone. I will not tolerate my children using the term, and I try to, um, discourage my Wisconsinite man from using it as well. (Of course, this leads to him trying to fit “y'all” into sentences as many times as he can, but if he gets too silly he laughs so hard that he can't breathe, so it's a self-limiting irritation :wink:)

On the other hand, American English really needs a second-person plural. “Y'all” is already entrenched in much of the country, but I've been waging a campaign for the use of “youse” for a few years now. :lol:

Will there ever be a post I don't want to edit? Don't know if anyone's remembered to say it yet, so: goodnight, Mrs. MobTeeseBoose!

Er, shirly that should be "American English really needs a second-person singular"?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Dropping in while Cuegan is (are?) out of shot to refine my "Uncanny valley" of speech theory.

Although the content of what they say can be odd, the syntax is odder still. None of it is actually wrong, but it just doesn't sound right.

My latest insight/comparison is that it reads like someone who has spoken English for a very long time, but for whom English is not their first language. In terms of grammar and syntax, you can't fault it, but for some reason you can't quite put your finger on, you know a native speaker wouldn't say it that way.

I'm not sure what, if anything, this means.

And is that butterbeeflythingy a mini-drone going off to report on them? :shock:
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
spamjam wrote:MOREBEESNAKEONG
Spoiler:

My theory about the trails of the beesnakes is that they fart a lot. This is their mode of flight. The brown gasses can be seen in the air, usually faintly but due to the monochromatic filter the GLR uses this becomes black.

In the words of Zappa in his song "Gregory Pecary" - who is making those new brown clouds
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 am UTC

Loopy loopy lONG!
And a radially symmetric postcount!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:And a radially symmetric postcount!

This calls for some radially symmetric cake!
Spoiler:
well, that turned out into a garbled mess. I'll have to refine the recipe. My inability to post successfully is a sign that I need to coma. The fact that the sun has risen is a sign that I need to coma.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Dropping in while Cuegan is (are?) out of shot to refine my "Uncanny valley" of speech theory.

Although the content of what they say can be odd, the syntax is odder still. None of it is actually wrong, but it just doesn't sound right.

My latest insight/comparison is that it reads like someone who has spoken English for a very long time, but for whom English is not their first language. In terms of grammar and syntax, you can't fault it, but for some reason you can't quite put your finger on, you know a native speaker wouldn't say it that way.

And is that butterbeeflythingy a mini-drone going off to report on them? :shock:

Funny, I don't get that at all. Yeah, they're kind of inconsistent about how much they seem to know, but their grasp on the language seems to be native-level...

Actually, I think I might know what's going on. They're using the sort of wording and syntax you'd get from spoken english - which, technically, it kind of is - whereas we're using to reading it as if it's written english. It makes perfect sense as an actual conversation two people might have, if you read it out loud, but on the page it looks kinda funny and incomplete.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eutychus wrote:Dropping in while Cuegan is (are?) out of shot to refine my "Uncanny valley" of speech theory.

Funny, I don't get that at all. Yeah, they're kind of inconsistent about how much they seem to know, but their grasp on the language seems to be native-level...

Actually, I think I might know what's going on. They're using the sort of wording and syntax you'd get from spoken english - which, technically, it kind of is - whereas we're using to reading it as if it's written english. It makes perfect sense as an actual conversation two people might have, if you read it out loud, but on the page it looks kinda funny and incomplete.

This might be it. But why isn't this the case for every other webcomic? I think its that, coupled with Cuegan only describing things in simple terms.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am UTC

ergman wrote:This might be it. But why isn't this the case for every other webcomic? I think its that, coupled with Cuegan only describing things in simple terms.
Neat!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 am UTC

One last thing before I coma, just like to point out my new avatar :) It's not part of a gif right now (*hopes he doesn't offend certain persons*) but it could be if a mad haberdasher wanted to come along and haberdash it.

That's it, coma time.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:59 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:It makes perfect sense as an actual conversation two people might have, if you read it out loud, but on the page it looks kinda funny and incomplete.

The particular exchange that led me to refine my Uncanny Valley theory into an English-not-as-a-native-language theory is this one:

What do you think we'll find?
More world. Maybe different.

Megan's answer is not wrong in any way I can nail in grammar or syntax, and I can imagine her saying it out loud, but it works a lot better if I imagine her saying it in a Swedish or German accent. I don't think a native speaker would put it that way - and as a translator I make a living out of putting things the way I think native speakers would say them.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Arky

Postby Arky » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 am UTC

THISEONISGETTINGLONG!

And the bird reappears, in one of the most action-packed frames ever of the OTC!

When was "neat" in vogue as slang, anyway? 50s, 60s?

That conversation felt like the climax of this "act" of the OTC, much like the sea does what it wants/"want to find out?" conversation did in the Sandcastle Eon. I feel like we're coming towards another white-out, although whether we'll first get to see the top of the mountain or whether that's being saved for the next Eon remains to be seen.
Last edited by Arky on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:01 am UTC

NATUREISCRUELONG
Spoiler:

ETA: Hid after previous image fixed. Alternate ong: PURINAMOLPYRAPTORCHOWONG.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:20 am UTC

Wow! Based on my extensive wikipedia research, I'm guessing Falcon.

Eutychus wrote:
The particular exchange that led me to refine my Uncanny Valley theory into an English-not-as-a-native-language theory is this one:

What do you think we'll find?
More world. Maybe different.

Megan's answer is not wrong in any way I can nail in grammar or syntax, and I can imagine her saying it out loud, but it works a lot better if I imagine her saying it in a Swedish or German accent. I don't think a native speaker would put it that way - and as a translator I make a living out of putting things the way I think native speakers would say them.

I think their speech patterns seem normal, but their vocabulary is limited and that's why it seems strange. So the oddness of the dialogue is related to their lack of understanding of their environment. They have an odd subset of what we consider normal knowledge about the world, and also an odd subset of what we consider normal vocabulary.

As for "More world. Maybe different" - I agree it's not a common figure of speech, but to me it's an original, memorable and very xkcd-esque phrase. I think it reflects the xkcd sensibility beautifully - elegantly packing a big idea into a small space, in a way that appears off-hand but stays with you a long time. That frame is definitely the T-shirt pick for me so far.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:I think their speech patterns seem normal, but their vocabulary is limited and that's why it seems strange.

I don't think it's that either. I have to do more of my making-foreign-texts-sound-normal-in-English-for-a-living for a while now, but I'll try to find some examples. Sometimes their vocabulary seems much less limited, and there are occasional forays into quite idiomatic speech. This is just the sort of thing you get from people whose English is good but not perfect.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:51 am UTC

I've just finished my after weekend blitz to find such drama! A raptor* attack!

[edit]
Haven't seen this yet: OtherComic alert!

*Why doesn't the Opera spell checker know the word raptor? Pretty big flaw for such a great browser...
Last edited by Flotter on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Arky wrote:THISEONISGETTINGLONG!

And the bird reappears, in one of the most action-packed frames ever of the OTC!

YES! YES! Raptor attack! *leaps for joy* Image

The GLR has granted my wish! I can die happy now. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 am UTC

NOMNOMNOMONG

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 am UTC

The raptorfalcon's silhouette does look significantly different from that of the chirpy parent:
Spoiler:

I guess our flutterbee probably wasn't a Monarch butterfly, because apparently they don't taste very good to birds. Also, they aren't found in Africa (or Madagascar).
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Wow!
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It's a raptor!

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 am UTC

MOLPYLESSONG

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:35 am UTC

It took me a long time to ketch up since my birthday. I want to thank thee all for the congratulations and magpie pies (that's fun to say: "Magpie pie! Magpie pie! Grapevine! Grapevine!").

xpatiate wrote:As for "More world. Maybe different" - I agree it's not a common figure of speech, but to me it's an original, memorable and very xkcd-esque phrase. I think it reflects the xkcd sensibility beautifully - elegantly packing a big idea into a small space, in a way that appears off-hand but stays with you a long time. That frame is definitely the T-shirt pick for me so far.

I agree; sounds poetic. I am reminded of a conversation in Monstrous Regiment, where the state religion Nugganism is becoming more and more fundamentalistic:

The squad went into a huddle.
"What was all that about?" said Tonker.
"He was talking about the theater", said Maladict.
"What's that?"
"An Abomination Unto Nuggan, of course", said the vampire. "It'd take too long to explain, dear child. People pretending to be other people to tell a story in a huge room where the world is a different place. Other people sitting and watching them and eating chocolate. Very, very Abominable."
"I would like to eat chocolates in a great big room where the world is a different place", mumbled Lofty sadly.
       -- Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 am UTC

New scene-ONG:

Where's Megan?

tinosoph

Postby tinosoph » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:04 am UTC

Is that a plateau?
I think Megan has spotted the Raptor attack and turned back.
i'm not new, i'm just infrequent

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Megan was slightly behind Cueball when they left the last scene.

That steep little ledge looks tricky. I wonder if they'll have to break out a rope to get up over it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Swein

Postby Swein » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Ooh Nooo! Megan has gone through a dimensional portal between newpix 2141 and 2142! Swallowed by a vortex of time and space!42 :shock:

Btw, neat tree! I love crummy trees!

42 That's the only possible explanation really.
Last edited by Swein on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Quick post-coma ketchup before I gotta go hereticW...

Poor flutterbeesnake. Image
Bad falcoraptor! Image
(Oh, wait, it's just nature. The falcoraptor needs to eat too.)

Re: Cuegan's language, I still (sometimes) adhere to the Blue Lagoon theory. Stranded, wherever they are, at a young age, so they have a limited vocabulary to describe the world around them.

Nice dragon, chronos!

Newpixbot posted a sONG! I had no idea it could do that. (I have no idea how it did that...) It looks a bit disappointed with the lack of response. Image (It appears to have a crush on Valarya, though...)

New scene. Image I was getting a bit worried that we'd be stuck there for a while.

ETA:
W: do some work, that is.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Sweet sassy molassy! SO MUCH KETCHUP!

Can't respond to everything... I'll just mention some cool things:

taixzo: happy 100th!
BlitzGirl: happy 900th! The black dragonraptor cake did indeed induce trembling. ("did indeed induce" is fun to say repeatedly.) Oh, and those tired hedgemolpies you posted are adorable.com/iwantone
charlie_grumbles: happy 500th!
jjjdavidson: The "Loco-Molpy" is stuck in my head!
Angelastic: mobius-strip explanation of extra dimensions = mind-blowing awesome
yappobiscuits: I've officially started using the term "mornternoon" on the Outside!
ChronosDragon: cool new avatar pic!
lmjb1964: exciting new avatar gif with the RAZOR seal I made!!! :D Oh, and I totally had the exact same initial thought about that post from EraObserver. :P
mscha: Glad for the clarification of your interpretation of elapsed time during the fade.
k.bookbinder: I'm actually planning lots of similar hiking adventures with my fiancee over the next few weeks. We love hiking and Ghost-town exploring.
newpixbot: nice song! I'm so happy (code for: worried) that you are gaining sentience!
Flotter: Be careful with font color choices. Red is against the rules, to be used only by mods. Just heads up. :-)

EXCITING MOLPY ACTION just two-pix ago!

AND... I am officially in the future again! Yay!!!!

Now... time to coma... =/
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:29 am UTC

WOW! I thought someone had come up with a fake ONG when I first saw the raptor attack. That's exciting! Though a little sad. I was fond of the little fluttermolpy. :(
Angelastic wrote:Good mornternix, all!

On the subject of translating names of people in my pants (is that silly enough, pope?), here is an extract from pages 320 and 321 of Le Ton beau de Marot by Douglas R. Hofstadter (also known as 'the guy who wrote Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'). Note the predominantly-non-American logical quotation, despite the author being American. I had to change his style of paragraph breaks because it's hard to do tabs on this forum.

Spoiler:
Douglas R. Hofstadter wrote:The great Michelangelo, for francophones, is "Michel-Ange", and Johann Sebastian Bach is "Jean-Sébastien Bach". The effect is a kind of false image, verging on the ludicrous suggestion that the Italian sculptor and the German composer were French.

But having gallicized Bach's first two names (and wired them together with a Gallic hyphen) why did the French stop short at his last name, which means "brook"? If it was legitimate to convert the Italian word angelo ("angel") into its French cognate ange, then why not go all the way with Bach, and invent the composer "Jean-Sébastien Rousseau"? There is an intuitive sense that this would just be going little too far — but where does this sense come from? Where in the blur is the line to be drawn?

I do not mean to be unfairly singling out the French for the sin of name-tampering. The Italians often refer to Bach as "Giovanni Sebastiano"; in Spanish he's "Juan Sebastián". For all I know, he's "João" in Portuguese and Иван ("Ivan") in Russian. As for us Anglophones, we're guilty too, even though, thank God, Dostoyevsky is not Theodore and One Day in the Life is not of John Dennyson. Still… Евгений Онегин is Eugene Onegin.

Although it's been a long time now, I have seen "John Sebastian Bach" in a few places, and each time I cringe. It is precisely this kind of vague associative discomfort, intangible but crucial — these "yukkhy vibes" — that whispers a quiet warning in one's ear that one has gone a little too far in one's well-meant attempt to pull some great one by the scruff of their name into the bosom of one's own culture. I believe I have run into "John Bach" only in musty old British publications, which does not surprise me: its flavor seems part and parcel of the British attitude in the glory days of their far-flung empire, when the whole world seemed within such close reach of falling under the rule of the Crown.

We anglophones are taught about "the Italian explorer Christopher Columbus" rather than "Cristoforo Colombo". Why, then, do we not sing the praises of "The Italian inventor William Marxon"? Not only have we not rebaptized him thus; in fact, the very idea would evoke ridicule. Times and sensibilities have surely changed quite a bit since the days of Christopher Columbus and John Sebastian Bach. Indeed, calling the opera composer Giuseppe Verdi "Joe Green" is by now a standard old joke, exploiting the fact that doing so makes him "one of us" but at the price of turning him into the local dog-catcher.

Why is it that we Americans never tried to appropriate Albert Einstein fully into our anglophone world by rechristening him (as I, rope-tied in the preceding chapter, was forced to do) "Albert One-Stone"? The reasons underlying such hesitations are extraordinarily difficult to pinpoint or articulate; the final decision has everything to do with one's unconscious set of attitudes about what one wishes to radiate through language — in a word, with one's tone.

There's a whole page after that about translated place names, but I got sick of typing it out, so you'll just have to buy the book. I've already recommended it once in this thread.

Wow, thanks for typing all that up, Angelastic! Interesting reading. Although I don't agree with the Eugene Onegin example; I think a transliteration from a different alphabet is a separate case. it wouldn't make send to write it in Cyrillic if few people in the country would even be able to sound it out. And o course, Dostoevsky would also be written in Cyrillic. But it's thought-provoking, and about something I had never really considered before.

I have Gödel, Escher, Bach on my shelf, but haven't yet read it. It's on the rather long list. *sigh* I used to read a lot when I was young. I don't what happened.

mscha wrote:@jjjdavidson: Awesomeful Loco-Molpy filk, hmm, parodong?

Song parOTT? (as is, song Par-oh-tee-tee instead of parody. Not pronounced like parrot. That would just be silly.)

BlitzGirl wrote:The beesnake is not being much help, just sitting there watching Cuegan scramble up the mountain.

HES wrote:EDIT: Completely off topic
Spoiler:
this photoplasty seems to think that underpasses/underwalks/subways don't exist, when they're a common occurrence, at least in the UK. Are they really that unheard of in the US?

Not unheard of, but certainly rarer. When I think about it, only one jumps to mind that's local to where I grew up. Pedestrian bridges/skywalks (and of course crosswalks) are more common to the regions I've lived in.
Oh, and my hometown founded Father's Day. You're welcome. :D

Yes, they're not terribly common, and I'm certain I've never heard the term "underwalk."

Oh, and Dads everywhere thank you. :D

Earthling on Mars, wonderful story! Give 'em hell, La Petite!

And AluisioASG, thank you for that finale. I needed that hopeful ending after the earlier tragedies. :shock:

k.bookbinder, thank you for sharing that wow, really neat waterfall! I hope our being there in spirit made the climb a little easier.
ChronosDragon wrote:Aluisio -

In honor of completing The Last Timewaiter, I fulfilled your hat request made so many pages earlier! I chose a top hat, because Michael seems to be a noble and intelligent dragon, and I placed a light blue (matches his eyes!) gem inside, as he seems to have a very strong and vivid spirit beyond his draconic form.
Spoiler:
Full size (in case you want it cropped/sized differently)

Nice hat But, did I miss something? Did buffygirl disband the buffydashery?

I really really was going to coma at a reasonable Time tonight. Didn't expect there to be so much ketchup! Stop saying such witty things, and linking to such interesting posts. No, I'm kidding. Don't stop.

Oh, and ZoomanSP, thanks for the fiveants cake. I just ate two of the cakes so I had tenants. :)

Edited to say: I went back and looked at aubronwood to get a better look at the raptor. I was wondering if it was a frigatebird. I dont think they would eat something as small as a fluttermolpy, so maybe it's a sparrow.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Nice hat But, did I miss something? Did buffygirl disband the buffydashery?

Yup. That's in the part you haven't blitzed through yet. Now it's Vytron officially, or HAL9000 for bootleg jobs. (I endorse HAL9000 personally due to the fantastic job he did on my own be-hatted mountains and eternity bird!)
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”