1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Zorin_75

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:To me, the fade enhancements look like night closing in, with the moon's brightness being revealed in the darkness.

Strange shape for nightfall.
I'm sticking with clouds...

Spoiler:
cloudenhance.png
Go Minim go!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:~ * ~ * ~~ ** Exits whirly time ripple thing ** ~~ * ~ * ~

:shock: That's what it is! The dark stuff is a whirly Time ripple thing! Or wibbly wobbly stuff, if you prefer. Mmm, Time Ripple should be a flavour of ice cream.

ImageI'm a smiley!ImageI am smiling because I am a smiley!ImageThanks and yay!ImageOh no, I'd better put more text here because I learnt in journalism class that faces shouldn't face out of the page.

My signature was kind of long and mainly quoted myself, so I've replaced part of it with a smiley.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:How certain are we that this has not happened before, and it is only just now that it has been noticed? Is it possible to check other frame sequences that focused on one scene over several frames?

Pretty sure, but to be safe...
Here are all corner pixel values of each newpix so far.
Frames that don't have #ffffff in both top corners are:
  • np130: #fdfdfd in the top-right corner. No idea why, probably mustard.
  • np403: #f8f8f8 in the top-right corner. This is the zoom on tiny trebuchet frame. Still doesn't explain it, though.
  • np2352 through np2362: the current fade to black.

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:(Not a moon. A full moon sets while the sun rises, and it can't really be dawn.)

I disagree. The moon can be in a position where it is above the horizon while the sun is out, but only becoming visible as the sun sets.

Sure it can. But it'll be rising, not setting.

Edit: new theory: approaching BlitzRocket?
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

edo

Re: 1190: "Things that are on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby edo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Prediction:
Spoiler:
fading into a scene about an hour after moonrise/before sunset, Megan & Cueball arrive toward the end of or just after the fade-in

ET modify prediction slightly to allow the orb to be the sun as well
Last edited by edo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Hey all!

Just wanted to let my fellow Time Waiters know that although I haven't been posting, I have been around. I'm way to far behind in my forum responses to try and ketchup right now, but I have been following the OTC and the OTT when I've been able. At some point, I might get an opportunity to do a proper blitz, but for now, this quick "hey, I'm not dead yet!!" post will have to do.

As always, I'm amazed that the OTC continues and that it still continues to offer surprises.

Like this new Dark Fading?

Maybe it's just the shadow of the approaching meteor as it nears impacts?

Wait well, my friends!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Oh no! We had The Whitening, now we have The Darkening! What is going to happen to our intrepid explorers?

Time will tell.

Also, prediction for top of mountain:
Spoiler:

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

edo wrote:That's no Moon!

Could they be on Yarin? or Endor's moon? Or *gasp* Alderaan? One thing is for sure, Randall wouldn't have chosen Dantooine
Spoiler:
Dantooine is too remote a system to make an effective demonstration comic

Edited to add more funny
Last edited by edo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

I really don't think this is night for a number of reasons:

1) The sky is darkening around where the sun (or moon but probably sun) is in the sky.
2) The sky is darkening with an S-curvature that does not seem to match the typical arc of darkness you get when the sun sets.
3) The sea has been rising for days (even if they have not been walking for days)
4) Megan slept during the building of the castle.
5) Megan talking of it getting cooler indicates a weather change. Nighttime coolness is less interesting because it is more predictable and so would less likely have been mentioned.

All in all, if we were to see night-time in the OTC I'm pretty sure we should have seen it previously, and we haven't.

Prediction: The dark clouds will set in, and we will see snowfall before it jumps back to Cuegan who will then appear somewhat worse off and discussing the rapidly degrading weather conditions.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:How certain are we that this has not happened before, and it is only just now that it has been noticed? Is it possible to check other frame sequences that focused on one scene over several frames?

Pretty sure, but to be safe...
Here are all corner pixel values of each newpix so far.
Frames that don't have #ffffff in both top corners are:
  • np130: #fdfdfd in the top-right corner. No idea why, probably mustard.
  • np403: #f8f8f8 in the top-right corner. This is the zoom on tiny trebuchet frame. Still doesn't explain it, though.
  • np2352 through np2362: the current fade to black.

k.bookbinder wrote:
mscha wrote:(Not a moon. A full moon sets while the sun rises, and it can't really be dawn.)

I disagree. The moon can be in a position where it is above the horizon while the sun is out, but only becoming visible as the sun sets.

Sure it can. But it'll be rising, not setting.

Edit: new theory: approaching BlitzRocket?

Wait, is the bright circle setting? I thought it was rather stationary as the darkness moved in around it. It's bright aura may be diminishing slightly as it becomes more defined. Also, I think that Cuegan are on the East-ish side of the mountain (though perhaps more likely South by South East). This may account for the uneven varying degrees of darkness. And, of course, the darkness would not be even around a full moon, especially if it is reflecting a setting sun. Also, depending on the time of year, and position of observation on Earth, one might find that the moon is already setting on the western horizon at sunset, and not rising.

EDIT: fixed sentence
ETA: Wait, I may have that backward. Hm. More research may be needed here.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Maybe it's smoke from a beacon lit on top of the mountain to warn of approaching strangers.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Wait, is the bright circle setting? I thought it was rather stationary as the darkness moved in around it.

Definitely setting. In np2361, the center of the circle is at approx. (100, 100), in np2362 it's at approx. (110, 110).

k.bookbinder wrote:Also, depending on the time of year, and position of observation on Earth, one might find that the moon is already setting on the western horizon at sunset, and not rising.

Yes, but that'd be a new moon, not a full moon.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

There are some hypotheses about which direction they're heading/we're looking etc. Can we prove or disprove these with the previous dialogue about shadows? Or (since I just realised this is not the frame they walked through) do we actually have no idea where this frame is relative to their walk? (Has anyone checked it against previous frames we've seen? Maybe we're going back to an earlier location.)

Anyway, I think the orb is the sun and as things get very dark we might see someone (LaPetite or Cuegan) enter the frame, then we'll cut back to the beach and see what LaPetite or LaGrandesea have done to it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:59 pm UTC

Angelastic - Have you considered making the text in your rotating avatar a haiku itself?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Wait, is the bright circle setting? I thought it was rather stationary as the darkness moved in around it.

Definitely setting. In np2361, the center of the circle is at approx. (100, 100), in np2362 it's at approx. (110, 110).

k.bookbinder wrote:Also, depending on the time of year, and position of observation on Earth, one might find that the moon is already setting on the western horizon at sunset, and not rising.

Indeed. But what if we did not realize that we were now viewing Cuegan's journey from the North? Specifically, if we were North West, or even North by North West of the mountain, Cuegan would be climbing up from North East or East by North East, moving South West or West by South West. The setting sun would darken the right of the sky first (behind the mountain) and the moon would become visible behind them.

Hm. But you did say that it appeared to be setting.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

So it's angling down and to the right, at roughly 45°? Definitely either northern hemisphere, as you said, or equatorial latitudes during northern summer. If we knew the latitude, we could figure the season, and vice versa.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Still fadONG...

ETA updated animation:

ETA corner colors (NW/NE/SE/SW):
Spoiler:
np2352: #ffffff/#fefefe/#000000/#000000
np2353: #ffffff/#fcfcfc/#000000/#000000
np2354: #ffffff/#fbfbfb/#000000/#000000
np2355: #ffffff/#fafafa/#000000/#000000
np2356: #ffffff/#f9f9f9/#000000/#000000
np2357: #ffffff/#f7f7f7/#000000/#000000
np2358: #ffffff/#efefef/#000000/#000000
np2359: #ffffff/#e9e9e9/#000000/#000000
np2360: #fbfbfb/#e3e3e3/#000000/#000000
np2361: #f2f2f2/#dcdcdc/#000000/#000000
np2362: #e9e9e9/#d5d5d5/#000000/#000000
np2363: #dfdfdf/#cecece/#000000/#000000

Edit: looking more and more like a sunset, in combination with something else (smoke/clouds/fade out).
Angle is about 45 degrees, which points to mid-latitudes on the northern hemisphere (depending on the season), I think. (I earlier said low latitudes, that's wrong. Equatorial regions in winter wouldn't have a 45 degree angle either.)
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:ETA:
Stupid Firefox... Version 22, released today, “fixed” a “bug” that didn't need fixing. Now, if you refresh on a page with a URL with a ‘fragment’ (like <http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3390855#p3390855>) it will not scroll the page to the position of the fragment anymore.
Result on the OTT: I've formed a habit to click on a post subject before hitting refresh, so that the post in question would remain visible. What happens now is, the position doesn't change, then all open spoilers close, you're suddenly looking at a post much further on the page, and you might miss all posts in between.

Eternal Density wrote:I'm glad I use Chrome because I rely on that behaviour. How can they call that a bug?

Obligatory link to http://xkcd.com/1172/. But, I also use this, because otherwise spoilers mess up my position. So in this case it does seem like it should at least be a toggle in about:config now.

Kieryn wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
poxic wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:My ideal pet molpy would be a little bronze fire-molpyzard like from the Dragonriders of Pern series. Or maybe a full size dragomolpy. Might be tough to keep fed, though.

I don't remember what the Pern dragons ate. Besides firerocks or whatever those were.

Well, duh, they ate Purina Dragon Chow!

BTW, now that we've got a few thousand NewpIx hashes to work with, how's about some black-hatter (IRL, not your avatar) do some cracking to find the hidden trove of as-yet-unrevealed pix?

Even if the hash was based on public information123 and was cracked1 whether auto-generated or hand drawn, I doubt the images exist on the server more than a few newpix ahead.

1Really really really really really really really really unlikely.
2Not private, like the contents of the new image or free disk-space on some drive on GLR's network.
3Required for us to crack the hash.

We actually have proof the images do not exist ahead of time - the one hash that was revealed early (the one with the flag), which showed up briefly because of time zones, 404'd and was not accessible until one old-style newpix before it was set to be revealed.

Also, OMR IT'S FADING TO BLACK! Perhaps Megan is slowly losing consciousness and this is how she is seeing the world?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

but the future refused to change...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm UTC

Psshh. It's so not night time. Y'all're so wrong! I know I'm like always wrong, but this time I'm pretty sure.

Also, where I'm from, typically doesn't really start getting much darker until after the sun has started going below the horizon. Unless there are of course clouds... which, well, is my point.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Still fadONG...
Spoiler:

ETA updated animation:
Spoiler:

ETA corner colors (NW/NE/SE/SW):
Spoiler:
np2352: #ffffff/#fefefe/#000000/#000000
np2353: #ffffff/#fcfcfc/#000000/#000000
np2354: #ffffff/#fbfbfb/#000000/#000000
np2355: #ffffff/#fafafa/#000000/#000000
np2356: #ffffff/#f9f9f9/#000000/#000000
np2357: #ffffff/#f7f7f7/#000000/#000000
np2358: #ffffff/#efefef/#000000/#000000
np2359: #ffffff/#e9e9e9/#000000/#000000
np2360: #fbfbfb/#e3e3e3/#000000/#000000
np2361: #f2f2f2/#dcdcdc/#000000/#000000
np2362: #e9e9e9/#d5d5d5/#000000/#000000
np2363: #dfdfdf/#cecece/#000000/#000000

Edit: looking more and more like a sunset, in combination with something else (smoke/clouds/fade out).
Angle is about 45 degrees, which points to mid-latitudes (depending on the season), I think. (I earlier said low latitudes, that's wrong. Equatorial regions in winter wouldn't have a 45 degree angle either.)

You're right; at the equator they'd have a maximum of what, 23½°? So we're looking at a range of maybe 20°-70° north latitude, depending on the season and allowing for some slop in the angle of descent.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:ETA:
Stupid Firefox...
Spoiler:
Version 22, released today, “fixed” a “bug” that didn't need fixing. Now, if you refresh on a page with a URL with a ‘fragment’ (like <http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=3390855#p3390855>) it will not scroll the page to the position of the fragment anymore.
Result on the OTT: I've formed a habit to click on a post subject before hitting refresh, so that the post in question would remain visible. What happens now is, the position doesn't change, then all open spoilers close, you're suddenly looking at a post much further on the page, and you might miss all posts in between.
Eternal Density wrote:I'm glad I use Chrome because I rely on that behaviour. How can they call that a bug?

Obligatory link to http://xkcd.com/1172/. But, I also use this, because otherwise spoilers mess up my position. So in this case it does seem like it should at least be a toggle in about:config now.

I've found a partial workaround. If you do a refresh, and find yourself on a different part of the page you expect, click on the location bar and press Enter (or easier: Ctrl-L, Enter), and it'll put you at the right ‘fragment’ on the page again. (If you don't notice that you're further down on the page, you'll still miss messages, though.)

Edit: maybe it is time for me to make the switch to Chrome as my main browser... I've been holding off, since it's less customizable than Firefox. (For instance, there's no way to make Ctrl-Tab do the right thing, toggle between recently viewed tabs instead of always going right. Since I always have dozens of tabs open, I couldn't live with that.)
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Psshh. It's so not night time. Y'all're so wrong! I know I'm like always wrong, but this time I'm pretty sure.

Also, where I'm from, typically doesn't really start getting much darker until after the sun has started going below the horizon. Unless there are of course clouds... which, well, is my point.

It could be a zombie raising fog that has risen off of the sea, holding the spirits of the dead that Cuegan's ancestors killed in a cowardly act of malice, bent on revenge.

Not saying it is likely, but it could be.
“have i gone mad?

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

This is why I come to the forum... I casually come on just to read the entertaining posts, and I find that I missed something, and the sun is now setting. If it weren't for the forum, I would have never known that we might be in Africa/Madagascar, it would have taken me an extra 10 hours to recognize the great fading, and I wouldn't have known for two extra weeks that the sea was rising.

Makes me wish I knew how to do anything with computers myself.
*Insert witty comment*

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

If, as observers, we were facing West by Northwest, and were in the northern hemisphere, and it was Spring or Autumn, would that account for the angle of the setting sphere of brightness (fine, call it the sun if you wish)?

..............W .................
.......Cuegan -->._//\\_.....N....
......S.... _//.....\\_ .........
......___//...........\\___.....
.................... E.............

I am somewhat bothered that I cannot seem to figure out our current orientation as observers. :?

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:<snip>
Also, OMR IT'S FADING TO BLACK! Perhaps Megan is slowly losing consciousness and this is how she is seeing the world?

So the white spotε is Cueball's head? And how would she describe it? 3, 6, or 8 ?

Dracomax wrote:It could be a zombie raising fog that has risen off of the sea, holding the spirits of the dead that Cuegan's ancestors killed in a cowardly act of malice, bent on revenge.

Not saying it is likely, but it could be.

RAZOR! To the rescue!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Psshh. It's so not night time. Y'all're so wrong! I know I'm like always wrong, but this time I'm pretty sure.

Clouds sounds right, especially likely as you get closer to the top of a mountain.

But out of sheer curmudgeonliness, I'll stick to my theory that they're Volcanic clouds!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

If it were a setting object, lightening from previous frame would show up as red under the object Looking at geekwagon, this is what is happening (so far at least).

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

edo wrote:If it were a setting object, lightening from previous frame would show up as red under the object Looking at geekwagon, this is what is happening (so far at least).

Its apparent size is shrinking (due to thickening smoke/clouds?) as well, so that the bottom-right point of the orb stays in about the same place, while the top-left point is moving down and to the right at double speed. Thus, no lightening pixels.
(See the animation I've been posting...)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Could there be something off the the left and far away that is bright (the way a city is) that accounts for the odd S-line of darkening, even though the sun is setting to our right?
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

Perharps... the view has turned from 90°, and we're seeing the sunset from the top of the mountain as Cuegan will see it when they arrive in 50np or so (they'll arrive from behind, so they'll appear in the middle of the screen with their back turned to us). [but darkening pixels are still clouds: just dark because the sun is roughly behind]
By then it'll be a wonderfull mix of colorsgrays, and they'll say "wow, neat!"
Last edited by edfel on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Angelastic - Have you considered making the text in your rotating avatar a haiku itself?

You mean something like:
Oh drat that's five syllables.
Let's try this again.

You mean like:

But we could only
(for the smaller collider)
budget for two quarks

:?:

I guess I could do that. I wonder if it would fit.

ETA: Or,

We could only bud...
[CHANGE!] I love our weird haiku
[CHANGE!]...get for two quarks.
Last edited by Angelastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:Could there be something off the the left and far away that is bright (the way a city is) that accounts for the odd S-line of darkening, even though the sun is setting to our right?

Possible, I suppose, although it seems unlikely, given what we've seen so far.
But as various otters have already noted: this fading can't be just a sunset, it's still very bright when you look in the direction of the setting sun, as long as (and longer than) it's above the horizon. So there must be something else going on.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:Angelastic - Have you considered making the text in your rotating avatar a haiku itself?

You mean something like:
Oh drat that's five syllables.
Let's try this again.

You mean like:

But we could only
budget for two quarks

I actually meant a line per frame, not necessarily related, but merely following the syllabic pattern of a haiku, since one of the frames is already a 5-syllable line regarding your love of haikus. It would definitely fit, but wouldn't be super noticeable unless someone was waiting to see the whole thing. I actually watched it rotate fully twice thinking it was already a haiku since I noticed the 5-syllable lines on both frames.

Too meta?

mscha wrote:
cari.j.elliot wrote:Could there be something off the the left and far away that is bright (the way a city is) that accounts for the odd S-line of darkening, even though the sun is setting to our right?

Possible, I suppose, although it seems unlikely, given what we've seen so far.
But as various otters have already noted: this fading can't be just a sunset, it's still very bright when you look in the direction of the setting sun, as long as (and longer than) it's above the horizon. So there must be something else going on.

Brush fire? Would also create smoke, giving the hazy look?

(edited for ugly quote tags)

EDITED AGAIN: Just realized "I love our weird haiku" is six syllables! Too early for counting.
Last edited by cari.j.elliot on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:I would have never known that we might be in Africa/Madagascar

If this is indeed the sun, Madagascarists just took a heavy blow...
Go Minim go!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

cari.j.elliot wrote:I actually meant a line per frame, not necessarily related, but merely following the syllabic pattern of a haiku, since one of the frames is already a 5-syllable line regarding your love of haikus. It would definitely fit, but wouldn't be super noticeable unless someone was waiting to see the whole thing. I actually watched it rotate fully twice thinking it was already a haiku since I noticed the 5-syllable lines on both frames.

Too meta?

Drat, I knew I should have just posted again instead of editing the last post, so you'd see it. You mean something like the haiku I edited into my post after you saw it? The line about haiku is actually six syllables, but I made it work.

There's no such thing as 'too meta'.

Also, I don't think the darkness is due to sunset.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:

But we could only
budget for two quarks

It would, with some creative line breaking.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:

But we could only
budget for two quarks

It would, with some creative line breaking.

Bahahaha, let's try it on!

ImageI love all the mutations my avatar has accumulated over Time.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Perharps... the view has turned from 90°, and we're seeing the sunset from the top of the mountain as Cuegan will see it when they arrive in 50np or so (they'll arrive from behind, so they'll appear in the middle of the screen with their back turned to us). [but darkening pixels are still clouds: just dark because the sun is roughly behind]
By then it'll be a wonderfull mix of colorsgrays, and they'll say "wow, neat!"

Unlikely that the view has turned, since the pattern (shape) of the fade didn't change when the scene changed.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

more gray-ONG
Go Minim go!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

It's perfectly obvious what is happening here. The OTC is being directed by J.J. Abrams. it's a lens flare.
“have i gone mad?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”