I need a Game Recommendation

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nath

Re: I need a Game Recommendation

Postby Nath » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:I'd like a recommendation for a CRPG. Ideally, I would like something that is a bit on the older side, as my system is not so very good (Oblivion can barely run on my laptop, so pre-2006 or, at least, very easy on the hardware is probably best). I don't mind using DosBox and don't really care about graphics. A good story is nice, but not essential; interesting gameplay, puzzles, and combat are good, and I get bored quickly if the game is too easy. Old-school is fine, but I don't want to have to do my own mapping. Off the top of my head, I've played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Wizardry 6-8, most of the Might and Magic series, Ultima IV, VII, underworld, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, the Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, a bunch of console-based Final Fantasy games and some of the NES-era Dragon Quest games. I've played Diablo and hated it.

Given that you enjoyed some of Bioware's earlier games, I'd say Knights of the Old Republic is a safe bet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 am UTC

Torment is always the answer.

I might also suggest Anachronox, which is currently available on GOG – very much a Western take on the PSX-era Final Fantasy games.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Cathode Ray Sunshine wrote:My only concern is that I have a PS3, and everywhere I read makes it seem like the PS3 version (of F3 at least) is buggy as hell and I should expect it to freeze a lot. I've seen many ways to not make it freeze as much -such as turning off autosave- but I think I shouldn't go that out of my way to make a game work. It's pretty demanding of me I know. I've heard with New Vegas it's not as bad, but still gonna freeze occasionally.

New Vegas is not a Bethesda game... but it's built on Bethesda assets, so it basically falls under the same rules as any other Bethesda game.

If you buy it on a console, you've made a mistake.
If you don't want to twerk the game to make it stable, you're buying the wrong game.
If your system doesn't overpower the requirements, you might not be able to enjoy the best mods.

...because, as much as I enjoy the Bethesda experience, step 1 is reading up on the ini file tweaks you need to do to have a good time, and step 2 is getting the Community Patch that fixes all the little errors in the game - occasional mispellings, improperly triggered quests/character level ups/skill effects that never happen but are supposed to, and general stability fixes.

So yeah, as a huge Bethesda fan - if all you've got is a console, don't buy Bethesda games. You're not getting the full experience, and you never will.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

You also need the console to fix some of the most crippling bugs.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:You also need the console to fix some of the most crippling bugs.

By which it's worth clarifying that you mean access to the dev console, also only available on the PC version.

Edit to add: I also love Bethsoft games, but I only buy them on PC for the reasons stated above. Vanilla FO3 is great and all, but you're missing a huge part of the game if you only play it the way it was released.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Thanks everyone, especially Second Talon, those were some very helpful responses. :)

It sucks I'm not able to play it right now since I only have a laptop that's not really made for games, but at least I know I won't have to spend my money on buying a product I won't get the full experience out of. Again, many thanks!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Anyone know of a good resource management/crafting MMO? Combat can/should be part of the shtick, but I'm just curious about any MMOs that have fully or nearly fully non-combat professions. Ragnarok Online for example has a couple crafting classes, but I don't think they can level purely via crafting.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure I've seen you in the EVE-Online thread, so I won't bother suggesting that. Maybe Mabinogi? I haven't played it in a long time, but it had some kinda neat crafting capabilities back when I played.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Final Fantaxy XIV 1.0 was supposed to be like that, with crafting players having basically their own portion of gameplay, but I never played it... and it's being revamped into a new version. I'm in the beta for 2.0 but so much can change in the next test phase I can't really say how it will be. They don't have a crafting class currently.

I was trying to think of the name of that F2P korean MMO where I accidentally picked a crafting class. Pretty sure it's mabinogi. Personally I found it boring, but I tried it for a day so maybe it picks up.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

I'll check it out. EVE was stupendous actually, but required way too much metagaming to be worthwhile. Thanks!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 am UTC

A Tale in the Desert is surely *the* non-combat MMO, is it not?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am UTC

Or Uru.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

PracticalM

Postby PracticalM » Wed May 01, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

For a crafting MMO where combat is not required at all, you could look at Puzzle Pirates
I know lots of people that just run shops.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 09, 2013 2:58 am UTC

One more; I acquired, for PSP, Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time from a friend who said both were entertaining RPGs, and in the interest of saving time, which is a better game?

Reserve

Postby Reserve » Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Ooh, here's an idea:

Are there any 2d games, preferably sprite-based with a top-down view like Zelda: Link to the Past, have difference races, classes (or skill trees), which are open-world in a manner similar to an Elder Scrolls game? I have a bizarre hankering for, basically, Morrowind on the SNES.

I've also been looking for a game like Death Rally—the old DOS one, not the terrible iOS version that takes all the skill and strategy out. Don't mind if it's not top-down. I liked having limited ammo, having to decide when and where to plop a mine down, if it was worth it to lag behind and mow down the other cars or try to keep ahead of their guns... I don't really care for the random pick-up style of Blur and Mario Kart (and drifting, I hate drifting). And having a health bar to mind always made it more exciting too, instead of just blowing up and re-spawning... Oh yeah, and UPGRADES. :D

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

There are lots of top down racers out there. GeneRally and Slicks 'n' Slide come to mind. Zombie Driver has a pretty neat top-down mode as well. I just bought this thing called Little Racers STREET on Desura.

Going for older stuff, Rock 'n' Roll Racing for the SNES is pretty well regarded, and I understand there is a fan remake in the works.

DeGuerre

Postby DeGuerre » Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 am UTC

We need a recommendation for a good two-player same-couch co-op game for the XBox 360. We'd prefer something in the fantasy genre, but are open to other suggestions.

EDIT Clarified that it's the 360, not the original.
Last edited by DeGuerre on Fri May 17, 2013 6:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 17, 2013 5:50 am UTC

The 360, or the original XBox?

If we're talking about the former, doesn't Catherine have a co-op mode? It is the first thing that comes to mind.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sat May 18, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

If you both like JRPGs and long stories then Tales of Vesperia was a lot of fun.
Edit: Also Eternal Sonata.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

DeGuerre

Postby DeGuerre » Mon May 20, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Eseell wrote:If you both like JRPGs and long stories then Tales of Vesperia was a lot of fun.

I'll have to consult the other party on the "J" part, but thanks for the suggestions.

Incidentally, I've heard that the co-op play in the Fable series is pretty much crap. Can anyone confirm or deny?

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed May 22, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

I'm looking for some good mobile games for Android. Games I like for mobiles - Dominion, Ascension, and chess. Played some angry birds, but it got old. Tower defense games can't hold my interest. I like card/board games because of the depth of replayability and strategy.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:If you both like JRPGs and long stories then Tales of Vesperia was a lot of fun.

Also Lost Odyssey. It's more western style than a lot of JRPGs but it's definitely got standard JRPG mechanics. And at four DVDs, the game's fucking long.
Omni.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Lost Odyssey, while one of my favorite 360 games, is unfortunately single-player only.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 am UTC

Hello, I would like a recommendation for a game that is similar to a request some posts ago. I would like a game that I could play on local couch co-op with my girlfriend on the PS3. I would prefer a game that isn't a first person shooter, maybe an RPG or a strategy game or something. She did like Portal 2, but I doubt that that's because of the FPS camera angle.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:23 am UTC

I've heard Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is pretty nice, co-op wise.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:Hello, I would like a recommendation for a game that is similar to a request some posts ago. I would like a game that I could play on local couch co-op with my girlfriend on the PS3. I would prefer a game that isn't a first person shooter, maybe an RPG or a strategy game or something. She did like Portal 2, but I doubt that that's because of the FPS camera angle.

Little Big Planet 1 and 2 could be what you're looking for.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

General MMO request; in WAR, one of the healing classes was called a 'combat healer' (DoK and WP), such that they had two bars to manage, a general action point bar, which had attacks, and each attack filled a secondary bar, which fueled healing spells. I really like the mechanic for healing, as it requires you continue to be an active participant, not just a health bar babysitter.

Any other games utilize this mechanic for their healers, or have similarly involved healers? I've bounced around to a few different MMOs recently and been fairly disappointed with how they handle support classes. NW was fairly fun, insofar the Cleric felt like an rDPS + healer, but I think active targeting for a healer class is a ultimately a bad idea.

DeGuerre

Postby DeGuerre » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:36 am UTC

emceng wrote:I'm looking for some good mobile games for Android.

I recommend Plague, Inc., if you like offbeat strategy. There's a free version. If you like it, I recommend getting the ad-free version but not buying the extras; it's more fun to earn them in the game.

I've heard good things about Defender of Texel, but I haven't really played it.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Zen garden game? Plant flowers, water them, watch them grow? Something super-simple, more akin to a mobile app. But for computers, since I have no smart devices.

These are ones that have been recommended but are not what I am looking for:
* Viva Pinata
* Gardening Mama
* farmville
* Harvest Moon
* Reus
* Euphloria
* The Sims

I also already own and play Plants VS Zombies, but the zen garden is just dancing flowers and coins. Plant Tycoon is the closest to what I want, but I'm not willing to pay $10. I also tried Go Bonsai, but it ended up making me angrier because losing 75+ years of growth from a slip-up is maddening.
...It made more sense in my head.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Minecraft?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 am UTC

Let me explain my situation. I have recently made the transition from console (xbox 360) to PC. I have played and enjoyed Halo 3 and 4 and Modern Warfare 1, 2, and 3. I am looking for a first person shooter that is on steam that has the same "feel" as those games. I know it is difficult to describe, but for me the feel is one of the most important elements of a game (especially multiplayer). For example, I do have Team Fortress 2 but it has a very different feel from the aforementioned games. I do not care if it has a campaign or single player as long as it has good multiplayer.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 am UTC

Perhaps it is time to graduate and play a real shooter?
*unsticks tongue from cheek*
My experience with the MW games is that they're all pretty similar (i.e. the same) and those are all on Steam. But I guess you want something different?
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive might work out for you (also CS:Source and CS 1.6). It's closer to old-style* shooters than modern ones (on account of it basically being CS, again, which is an old-style shooter). It does have one hell of a learning curve though.

The online FPS market is pretty poor at the moment and MW (sadly IMO) dominates.

*Movement that doesn't bother to simulate reality; you press a key and you move in that direction and if you press the sprint key you just move faster, animations/reality based physics be damned. No iron-sight aiming bullshit either.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Eomund wrote:Let me explain my situation. I have recently made the transition from console (xbox 360) to PC. I have played and enjoyed Halo 3 and 4 and Modern Warfare 1, 2, and 3. I am looking for a first person shooter that is on steam that has the same "feel" as those games. I know it is difficult to describe, but for me the feel is one of the most important elements of a game (especially multiplayer). For example, I do have Team Fortress 2 but it has a very different feel from the aforementioned games. I do not care if it has a campaign or single player as long as it has good multiplayer.

So.. you want the "Mad rush at random, regardless of whether or not there are teams, dead in less than 60 seconds but that's okay because you're out of ammo anyway" feel?

..Counter-Strike?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

DeGuerre wrote:
emceng wrote:I'm looking for some good mobile games for Android.

I recommend Plague, Inc., if you like offbeat strategy. There's a free version. If you like it, I recommend getting the ad-free version but not buying the extras; it's more fun to earn them in the game.

I've heard good things about Defender of Texel, but I haven't really played it.

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Eomund

Postby Eomund » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Thanks for all of the replies. I had forgotten that I do have an old copy of counter-strike on steam, so I will have to try it out.

I do have another requirement. I really would like to use an xbox 360 controller. I would prefer to not use an emulator or whatever its called. Borderlands 2 handles it really well where if you use a 360 controller its just like you were on a xbox. (Which is another shooter game I like the feel of. It just doesn't have competitive multiplayer).

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 am UTC

If you play CS with a console controller... well, you're going to die a lot more.
Even more than you would normally, which is a lot, unless you're unusually good at shooters (and if you've cut your teeth on Halo and MW, you're probably not).

I've not played Borderlands, so I can't make any recommendations based on that.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:If you play CS with a console controller... well, you're going to die a lot more.
Even more than you would normally, which is a lot, unless you're unusually good at shooters (and if you've cut your teeth on Halo and MW, you're probably not).

I've not played Borderlands, so I can't make any recommendations based on that.

I second this - if you're playing an FPS on PC, it's worth retraining in mouse+keyboard if it's at all possible - even trackpad-and-keyboard (laptop-style) is better than gamepad once you level up your skills a few times...

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:16 am UTC

If a game is built for console and then ported to PC, it will be better with a gamepad than mouse and keyboard (e.g. borderlands).
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:If a game is built for console and then ported to PC, it will be better with a gamepad than mouse and keyboard (e.g. borderlands).

Mouse gives a wider range of rotation speeds; dual-analog gives a wider range of translation speeds. Fine rotation control is usually more critical than fine translation control. I found Halo more playable with mouse and keyboard than gamepad, though I started mouse-and-keyboard with Quake, and only picked up dual-analog with Halo, so some of that may be relative skill level with the two interfaces.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:If a game is built for console and then ported to PC, it will be better with a gamepad than mouse and keyboard (e.g. borderlands).

I have not found this to be true for any first-person game. At all.
This is true of games that suit joysticks and a tight set of controls (like racing games, fighting games and platformers), but when fast and precise camera control or pointer control is required (FPS and RTS games), the mouse wins out by a long way.
Movement control is superior with a joystick than a keyboard, true, but the difference is negligible compared to the gains you get from a mouse.

(Not saying you can't be successful with a controller, but in a game like CS, you've put yourself at a disadvantage before you've even begun).

rmsgrey wrote:I found Halo more playable with mouse and keyboard than gamepad, though I started mouse-and-keyboard with Quake, and only picked up dual-analog with Halo, so some of that may be relative skill level with the two interfaces.

Whilst this is anecdotal, this was true for me too (although I'm in the same situation on the mouse-keyboard side).
Worth noting that Halo has much less of an emphasis on precise aiming than most other shooters.

Return to “Gaming”