1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Molpy molpy molpy please?

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

If the word molpy ever appeared in the Dialogue of Time, my life would be complete. Image

ETA2:
Spoiler:
Okay, going to try this Mopey Molpy Mome thing again:
Use the word molpy in your post. No replacing words, just try to find a way to stick a molpy in there too.
Also, feel free to ignore me.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

I think this is a missing frame from the sunset period.

sheeeeeeee.jpg

mome edit: Possible molpy chirp source?
Last edited by thirds on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Megan has moved very little during the last several (inside) hourshmmm. This is not her usual behavior. She must be in pain, her leg swollen. She won't be able to walk much, maybe even to stand up. I predict Cueball will climb the mountain alone, while Megan waits for him to come back with help. Will we follow Cueball, stay with Megan, or a bit of both?

hmmmIf there are still 6 1/2 minutes between frames.

Edit to comply with popal/momal decree: It would be nice if some horselike molpy appeared now, just to carry Megan around for a while.
Last edited by Ximenez on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Megan: Oh!
Cueball: Weird.
Megan: Neat.
Cueball: Yeah.

Megan: "Is it supposed to be doing that?"
Cueball: "The sun is pretty big. It probably knows what it's doing."

Megan: "I don't know how the sun works."
Cueball: "I don't know how anything works."

Cueball: This is the first part of what the sun being eaten by a dragonmolpy looks like.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BlitzGirl

Woolpy molpies

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Bravo, moody7277! Image

thirds wrote:I think this is a missing frame from the sunset period.
Spoiler:

Wow, what a great woolpy collection! Kind of disturbing, though. Are those living molpies, or robotic molpy-shaped killing machines?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:Megan has moved very little during the last several (inside) hourshmmm. This is not her usual behavior. She must be in pain, her leg swollen. She won't be able to walk much, maybe even to stand up. I predict Cueball will climb the mountain alone, while Megan waits for him to come back with help. Will we follow Cueball, stay with Megan, or a bit of both?

hmmmIf there are still 6 1/2 minutes between frames.

Edit to comply with popal/momal decree: It would be nice if some horselike molpy appears, just to carry Megan around for a while.

Hmm, I would hope that we would follow the half of Cuegan that is moving. That would keep the excitment up. Then again sitting with Meagan would be kinda meta with us waiting for it while she waits for him. Then again if a molpy attacked Meagan while the Cue man were away that'd be very exciting. In general I'd like them to stick *tee hee* together. Maybe Cueball could carry Meagan, not that'd be romantic *sigh*
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

BlitzGirl

Still molping...

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:<snip> In general I'd like them to stick *tee hee* together. Maybe Cueball could carry Meagan, not that'd be romantic *sigh*

Well...that depends on how he carried her. Molpy.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

"It's been a long long lONG time..."

Uh... molpy.

TimeLurker

Re: Still molping...

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:<snip> In general I'd like them to stick *tee hee* together. Maybe Cueball could carry Meagan, not that'd be romantic *sigh*

Slung over his shoulder while she hits his back and screams "Put me down you rotten molpy!" of course.
Voice of the Silent

BlitzGirl

Molpgan

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Slung over his shoulder while she hits his back and screams "Put me down you rotten molpy!" of course.

I dunno, maybe Cueball's into that.

Maybe "molpy" is Megan's pet name for him.

Actually, maybe Cueball's real name is Molpy, we just haven't heard anyone say it yet.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So no moon showed up then. This means it must be waning. Maybe even new or close to new. Solar eclipse anyone? That would be fun... I wonder what Megball would have to say about that :)

Cueball: 12
Megan: 4

Hmm, why don't we have a footnote for Yeah? I think we should.

When I proposed it some time ago, there was no support, but I'm using molpy13 as the unofficial footnote.

Montov

Re: Molpgan

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

I dunno, maybe Cueball's into that.

Maybe "molpy" is Megan's pet name for him.

Actually, maybe Cueball's real name is Molpy, we just haven't heard anyone say it yet.

I think Cueball's name is Kempy and Megan's name is Molissa.
What portmanteau can we use for them both? Kemlissa?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Kieryn wrote:So no moon showed up then. This means it must be waning. Maybe even new or close to new. Solar eclipse anyone? That would be fun... I wonder what Megball would have to say about that :)

Cueball: 12

When I proposed it some time ago, there was no support, but I'm using molpy13 as the unofficial footnote.

The standard footnotes are really just to appease the molpies anyway. Officially there are no official footnotes13. Myself, I like to use subscripts anyway.

Edit: Montov you almost got me to walk into that one. Almost.
Voice of the Silent

Flotter

Re: Woolpy molpies

Postby Flotter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo, moody7277! Image

thirds wrote:I think this is a missing frame from the sunset period.
Spoiler:

Wow, what a great woolpy collection! Kind of disturbing, though. Are those living molpies, or robotic molpy-shaped killing machines?

With those shiny eyes they must be robotic, which reminds me of Philip K. Dick's Who's giggling? book, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Molpies?" Too bad they cut the molpies from the film though.

Blade Runner

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

That discussion about getting the hash makes me re-think about something, which could be resumed as http://xkcd.com/627/, but here it is anyway:
I've seen several posts about not knowing how to do fancy things with computers, and being impressed at other's creations. I'm thinking image manips, scripts, websites, maybe even my map. First of all, there's nothing magic in all this, nothing that requires years of studies, only curiosity (experience is usefull to guess at the easiest way first and foresee problems, not necessary). I don't know for others, but with all the scattered "projects" I've had for TIme, I've learned a lot of things about svg and inkscape, imagemagick, windows batch files, php, sql, web hosting, javascript, jquerry, [and probably more to come].

So here's my question: is any of you people who's "not into computer" curious about how we make some stuff? The answer could look like a small tutorial, I at least am ready to explain any "secret" behind anything I've made this far :) And except for the interactive parts in the map or the age navigator, which require to know some basics of a programming language, everything's accessible to beginners, using only free tools.

Just to start with the first question, I'm really curious about Blitzgirl's drawing of the Meowmolpy in the night... did you use any special tool or are you just a talented drawer with a mouse?

[if this gets too big and/or too off-topic, we can move to a wiki page....]
[oh, and by the way: new map update!]
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Cueball: 12

Well, my footnote standard only has only adjectives (and adjective-like phrases) used by Cuegan. (Yes, ⁷ is an adjective in my standard.)
Don't like it? You can always declare your own standard.

(Yes, the OTT repeats itself.)

ETA: Yes, for those of you wondering, newpixbot does dream of electric molpies.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
TimeLurker wrote:Cueball: 12

Well, my footnote standard only has only adjectives (and adjective-like phrases) used by Cuegan. (Yes, ⁷ is an adjective in my standard.)
Don't like it? You can always declare your own standard.
(Yes, the OTT repeats itself.)
ETA: Yes, for those of you wondering, newpixbot does dream of electric molpies.

Hmmm, compete with the great and powerful mscha, finder of molpies....I think not. I will however create a parrallel standard for subscripts that will be completely unrelated (while still noting that it is all related) to the superscript standard already in use.

1big
2small
3wow
4neat
5wierd weird
6yeah
Voice of the Silent

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

ONG and abONG!

ETA: Cueball has now been (more or less) asleep for 48 newpix. Assuming still 6½ minutesInside per frame, that's a bit over 5 hoursInside.
Long enough, I'd say.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

On Drawing Molpies

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Yay Megan! Molpy up!

edfel wrote:<snip> Just to start with the first question, I'm really curious about Blitzgirl's drawing of the Meowmolpy in the night... did you use any special tool or are you just a talented drawer with a mouse?

Ooh, a question for me? :D Thanks!
Yes, I actually use a graphics tablet (not a tablet-computer like an iPad, but a drawing tablet that connects through USB to my laptop). I'm currently using a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet, but I've had two other (smaller) Wacom models before this one. As for the program, I am very happy with my Adobe Photoshop CS4 student version (which is good as I'm not a student anymore and cannot afford to update to the latest Photoshop). It's a far more powerful program than I really need, as I usually use it for making silly molpy things like:

But it is fun to play with. :mrgreen:
I don't usually record myself drawing, so I don't have process videos for any of my Time stuff (yet...I may make one) but here's one of another little drawing I did if anyone is curious.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
FourMolpies.png

redundant17.png
redundant17.png (131.51 KiB) Viewed 16406 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Re: On Drawing Molpies

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

⁴someful! Image

Also ⁴ to see that drawing video. Looks impressive! Probably partly because it's sped up, but I bet it would even in real-time.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

edfel wrote:That discussion about getting the hash makes me re-think about something, which could be resumed as http://xkcd.com/627/, but here it is anyway:
I've seen several posts about not knowing how to do fancy things with computers, and being impressed at other's creations. I'm thinking image manips, scripts, websites, maybe even my map. First of all, there's nothing magic in all this, nothing that requires years of studies, only curiosity (experience is usefull to guess at the easiest way first and foresee problems, not necessary). I don't know for others, but with all the scattered "projects" I've had for TIme, I've learned a lot of things about svg and inkscape, imagemagick, windows batch files, php, sql, web hosting, javascript, jquerry, [and probably more to come].

So here's my question: is any of you people who's "not into computer" curious about how we make some stuff? The answer could look like a small tutorial, I at least am ready to explain any "secret" behind anything I've made this far :) And except for the interactive parts in the map or the age navigator, which require to know some basics of a programming language, everything's accessible to beginners, using only free tools.

Just to start with the first question, I'm really curious about Blitzgirl's drawing of the Meowmolpy in the night... did you use any special tool or are you just a talented drawer with a mouse?

[if this gets too big and/or too off-topic, we can move to a wiki page....]
[oh, and by the way: new map update!]

Quick post, before work-world caves in around me again (I've not had a good work-dip in a longish time). I would not say I am "not into computers". I am quite into them and consider myself quite proficient. I am even trying to teach myself Python (though, to be honest, a bit embarrassed about it - I've used computers since I was 4 and know next to nothing about programming). But, I am easily frustrated by my lack of knowledge, always feeling like I should/could know more; I am a poor self-studier. Also, since my occupation does not primarily involve the kind of skills I have seen displayed here, or the kind of skills I would like to develop, finding the time to develop those skills is also difficult (it is just one excuse after another, isn't it?). So, while I am aware of the non-magical properties of everyone else's contributions, I am nevertheless impressed. And your map is impressive, edfel, don't forget that.

Should anyone wish to create such a tutorial, perhaps linked somewhere in the wiki, that would also be most impressive. I could see these kinds of questions leading to rather large detailed discussions, so that may be the best option. Though, I did enjoy many of the astronomical explanations posted in the OTT. So perhaps that would be a successful format as well, so long as someone is willing to compile those questions and responses on the wiki somewhere.

By the way, I have that diagram printed out in my cube, and have passed it on to others. It has alleviated the number of times people have come up to ask me for help with their computer.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

Molpy up!
Angelastic wrote:Would a molpy picture with a badly-spelled caption be a lolpy?

Spoiler:

Whizbang wrote:Prediction:

Spoiler:

HAH! Image

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:One can never have too many ottifications of a song... (Unless it's the chicken dance, of course.)

I'll have you know this is all your fault...
Spoiler:
Molpy molpy molpy chirp. Molpy molpy molpy chirp. Molpy molpy molpy chirp, grapevine grapevine.
Molpy molpy molpy chirp. Molpy molpy molpy chirp. Molpy molpy molpy chirp, grapevine grapevine.

Snake snake snake snaaaake, snake snaaake, snake wow-tree. Chirp chirp chirp chiirp, the Sea...is big.
Snake snake snake snaaaake, snake snaaake, snake wow-tree. Chirp chirp chirp chiiirp chiiirp, the Sea is big!

(Repeat even more too many times.)

Image Image Image Image

Brilliant! Molpy molpy molpy chirp, molpy molpy molpy chirp... Image

Kieryn wrote:Welcome to Shooting Stars,
Welcome whoever you are,
The guest have been greeted,
The stars are now seated,
So come along and let's start Shooting Stars!

It's time to beckon down the beautiful plump Molpydove from Above, via the gift of the chirp!

BlitzGirl wrote:Ooh, a question for me? :D Thanks!
Yes, I actually use a graphics tablet (not a tablet-computer like an iPad, but a drawing tablet that connects through USB to my laptop). I'm currently using a Wacom Bamboo Create tablet, but I've had two other (smaller) Wacom models before this one. As for the program, I am very happy with my Adobe Photoshop CS4 student version (which is good as I'm not a student anymore and cannot afford to update to the latest Photoshop). It's a far more powerful program than I really need, as I usually use it for making silly molpy things like:
Spoiler:

But it is fun to play with. :mrgreen:
I don't usually record myself drawing, so I don't have process videos for any of my Time stuff (yet...I may make one) but here's one of another little drawing I did if anyone is curious.

Image Awesomeful and adorable. I love that the molpy down is one of my otters Image. And I'd love to see a process video for one of your Time things if you ever do feel like doing one! That was an awesome kitty. And sort of Time-related, with the clock :P

Redundant
Spoiler:
lolpy kitty.png

No redundakitty as it's good enough as a redundakitty itself :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

CameronCat

Postby CameronCat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

edfel wrote:... I at least am ready to explain any "secret" behind anything I've made this far...

[*raises hand from extreme back pew*]
Dr. Edfel, regarding your excellent map, could you explain briefly how you determined Cuegan's direction(s) of travel based on the information presented in each frame of the the OTC? For example, after four days of travel approximately East (using normal map conventions of top=North), their path turns ~90 deg and they proceed North-ish. How did you know that? Even leaving compass directions out of the discussion, how did you discern the change in direction?

Thank you.
Apprentice Curmudgeon by appointment to the Order of the Holy Contradiction
Knight Luminary and Second Prelate of the Proscenium
It's all related

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

My tools of choice:

Newpixbot and related scripts are written in Perl, using various modules from the CPAN, most importantly WWW::Mechanize, which lets your script pretend to be a web browser.

For making animations and other images, I use various free tools:
FastStone image viewer, a simple but powerful program, that lets you do batch conversions. So, for a molpy animation, I figure out the right parameters for cropping, resizing, annotating and possibly other things like changing the gamma, then apply them to all the needed frames.
The animated GIFs are created with ImageMagick, a set of command-line tools for image manipulation.
For any manipulation, I use Paint.NET, at the moment. Simple, not as powerful as other tools (Photoshop, bloated and $$$; The Gimp, kinda hard to get used to), but usually gets the job done.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Sorry to add to your burdens, waiters, but the Tour de France (TdF) is now running. We've had four days of racing and the first two were a bit strange. The team time trial today was won by the Australian team and an Aussie is now in the Yellow Jersey - a fairly rare occurrence. There are only six Americans in the race this year, none with a lot of hope to win but one or two with good prospects for the future. You can follow it online (if you don't put in enough time online) at http://letour.fr. It should connect you automatically with a suitable language edition. After three days in Corsica, it moves to the mainland and a race across extreme southern France. Tomorrow's race should be very fast - possibly somewhat dangerous. Many riders are within only a few seconds of the leader. If I've done my calculation correctly it is scheduled to start tomorrow at noon Universal Time. Use this clock if you aren't sure: http://www.thetimenow.com/utc/universal ... nated_time. That would also be noon on the Continent or 6am in the eastern US. Sorry for heretical times, but this is definitely an outside phenom.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Yay! charlie_grumbles is back! :)

Happy molpy dance!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Since we're sharing how we do our stuff... I do my image manips, smileys etc in Gimp, and my music in Logic Pro, with help from a Shure C606 dynamic mic (I could do with a good condenser mic, but this one's good enough for now), Mbox 2 audio interface, various real instruments, and virtual instruments from East West.

I wouldn't describe myself as "not into computers", since I use them on a regular basis and do all my work with them, but I know nothing about programming, working with code, the inner workings of computers - anything like that at all. I'm good with computers when they're working perfectly well and have a GUI, but as soon as it gets into the technical stuff or dealing with faulty machines I'm lost.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Yay! charlie_grumbles is back! :)

Yay indeed! And with a brand new avatar⁴!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

The moon's full, but was out-of-frame to the left all the way through its setting. We mentioned it a couple times here but 'twas easy to miss.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

SHOULDISTAYORSHOULDIGO?ONG
And how far and for how long?
Last edited by spamjam on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

I got so ninjad.

Spoiler:
STANDONG

Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

BlitzGirl

Molpy, molpy, there you are...

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Megan, no! Don't go! Cueball has the bag full of useful...um. Well, he doesn't have any bandages, apparently, which is probably what you need. But you could take the dilgunnerang?

Do we spy some secret star-
light a-lurking amid char-
lie's new sig and avatar?
Spoiler:
What will happen if we Wait even longer? :D

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
⁴someful! Image

Also ⁴ to see that drawing video. Looks impressive! Probably partly because it's sped up, but I bet it would even in real-time.

Thanks! It's a lot more boring when it's live, I promise. :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Would a molpy picture with a badly-spelled caption be a lolpy?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eutychus

Re: Molpy, molpy, there you are...

Postby Eutychus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan, no! Don't go!
The ability of the OTC to create enormous dramatic tension through the simplest of pictures (plus extremely long periods of nothing much happening) never ceases to amaze.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Perhaps Megan is just stretching her legs. I do not imagine that she would decide to venture on alone. Unless, of course, she decides to scout ahead. But then Cueball may awake de'coma in a panic to find her not there. Hm. Well, if it sounds like a prediction, and looks like a prediction...

charlie_grumbles wrote:Sorry to add to your burdens, waiters, but the Tour de France (TdF) is now running. We've had four days of racing and the first two were a bit strange. The team time trial today was won by the Australian team and an Aussie is now in the Yellow Jersey - a fairly rare occurrence. There are only six Americans in the race this year, none with a lot of hope to win but one or two with good prospects for the future. You can follow it online (if you don't put in enough time online) at http://letour.fr. It should connect you automatically with a suitable language edition. After three days in Corsica, it moves to the mainland and a race across extreme southern France. Tomorrow's race should be very fast - possibly somewhat dangerous. Many riders are within only a few seconds of the leader. If I've done my calculation correctly it is scheduled to start tomorrow at noon Universal Time. Use this clock if you aren't sure: http://www.thetimenow.com/utc/universal ... nated_time. That would also be noon on the Continent or 6am in the eastern US. Sorry for heretical times, but this is definitely an outside phenom.

Hi Charlie :mrgreen:. I love the new avatar.

Every year I try following the Tour but never seem to manage to keep track of anything going on. I find it interesting that it was originally designed as a race in which there would be only one finisher. That's brutal. I hope that this year's race won't be marred by doping allegations, as seems to be the trend now.

edit: added accidental prediction.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

[quote="Wildhound"]I got so ninjad.

[spoiler]STANDONG

ing goes here...

Someone will probably notice before approval, but...
No, you were not. Look at the image hashes, and direction of Megan's head! :)

edfel

Postby edfel » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

CameronCat wrote:
edfel wrote:... I at least am ready to explain any "secret" behind anything I've made this far...

[*raises hand from extreme back pew*]
Dr. Edfel, regarding your excellent map, could you explain briefly how you determined Cuegan's direction(s) of travel based on the information presented in each frame of the the OTC? For example, after four days of travel approximately East (using normal map conventions of top=North), their path turns ~90 deg and they proceed North-ish. How did you know that? Even leaving compass directions out of the discussion, how did you discern the change in direction?

Thank you.

Er... actually, I don't :?
There are strong clues, minor ones, some stuff I choose because it's simpler this way, and the rest is random guessing. (spoiler because it's not actually "briefly" explained)
Spoiler:
[strong] they walked facing the sun in the mornings along the sea, so definitely eastward
[strong] they took a ~90° turn the first and second time they join the river
[strong] their path is towards the north currently (sunset to the right of the path)

with all this, there is a missing 90° bend somewhere I added it after lucky's attack because:
[mid] they had their shadow in front of them at some point, but since we don't know the time of day, they just can't be heading south. Also, I assumed they had sufficiently long shadows, so either morning or afternoon, hence north is less probable, so the bend is after that.
[minor] I assume it's easier to follow a straight line near a river than in the mountains, especially if the small plateau with the shed was hiding the view of the actual summit. So a bend is more probable after a plateau
[convenient] the extra bend was revealed only when we first saw the sunset... since I am of the lazy persuasion, I'm happy with the theory that it took place at the last possible moment.
[convenient] scaling and labeling is much easier when they follow straight lines in a cardinal direction :)
[convenient] it's much easier when they stay within the frame (I need to twerk the mouseover scripts for the panorama manually whenever I resize the map). On the other hand, I love it when they move forward into unexplored territory. But I guess I can't just make them turn around in spiral.

Oh, and about "Dr."... still a few days left (9, precisely). And by the way, I don't know whoever asked what I was working on, but it's a mix of genome comparisons, NP-hardness proofs, and pancakes :mrgreen:

And to keep on track with the action (!) going on: Megan, if you want to leave, at least leave a note marking, an wooden arrow, a trail of blood... anything.

Edit: Thanks Blitzgirl for the answer!! Plus the extra drawing and the video, that's great :D :D :D ! And er... does "molpy up" implies sitting on top of a rocket? Because, russian or not, it's not always the safest place to be...

Late Edit! I misread the question, I thought it was about the last turn to the north, but it actually is about the first one. So it's quite clear from frames 1073--1077: they arrived from the left of the frame, they turn their back to the camera on 1076 , and we then see them moving forward (hence they have turned 90° left, and the camera also turned)
Last edited by edfel on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

Hello from the Outside! I miss you all terribly. Was camping this weekend with no internet or phone service, and this weekend I'll be going to Galveston to hang out with some college buddies. They do have internet in Galveston, but I'll probably be too drunk busy most of the time to wait properly. I think when I come back I'll finally be able to get caught up on the umpty million pages you guys have written while I was gone.

I saw a ton of stars while I was camping, and it made me think of the OTC and wondering what was happening. I was definitely suffering from chronofinephobia--the fear that TIme has ended while you were away. But thankfully, I see that Time continues, as does the creativity and congeniality of the OTT. Looking forward to finally having some time to appreciate it all, but for now, I'll have to
Spoiler:
wait for it.

MWAH!!

Edited to fix the inevitable typo.

Edite 2 to say: Yay! Charlie is back! I'm so happy!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Re: Still molping...

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Edit: Thanks Blitzgirl for the answer!! Plus the extra drawing and the video, that's great :D :D :D ! And er... does "molpy up" implies sitting on top of a rocket? Because, russian or not, it's not always the safest place to be...

Hmm. Well, it could imply this kind of molpy up instead:
Spoiler:

(From http://what-if.xkcd.com/21/ )

TimeLurker wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
FutureCuegan.png
FutureCuegan.png (10.32 KiB) Viewed 16159 times

redundant18.png
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

On sharing tools:
I'm a Linux guy and use a GUI mainly for three things:
  • Browsing
  • Displaying graphical stuff
  • Opening a lot of easy to switch around command line terminals of various sorts (zsh and iPython)
(There are of course some other uses too, like working with Inkscape and The GIMP, but that's less than 5% I guess.)
For my scripts I use Python and a bit shell scripting, I program in javascript but try to avoid it though jQuery makes a lot of stuff much more easier and convenient.
The scripting is done remote with vim or locally in the great Sublime Text editor (in vim mode of course).
The tool chain for the Constellations of Time:
  1. curl for scraping the thread.
  2. iPython notebook to extract the data, put it into a sqlite3 database (if Time goes on for some more time I will possibly have to switch to something more serious like MariaDB), and generate a gefx file
  3. Gephi to arrange and tune the graph
  4. imagemagick to do the finishing touches and generate the thumbnails
  5. and finally scp and/or Dropbox to put it where it belongs.
Charting is done with the great mathplotlib library.

To round it of, here is a screenshot of the desktop of my laptop (um... yeah, whatever):
Attachments
laptop.png
Laptop's Desktop
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Greetings from (circa) NP963 and 977!
Ashaman wrote:
Spoiler:
Hiya folks,

I've been watching the OTC since the beginning, and checking this thread periodically as well. But the astronomy talk has prompted me to finally register and throw in some experience.

Why are we assuming the bright setting object was Venus? It could just have easily be Jupiter, Saturn, or Mars. Mercury is unlikely due to the distance from the Sun, but all the other bright planets are very possible. And even if it was Venus, it will sit at or near the point of elongation for weeks to months. The actual angular separation between the planet and the Sun is a rough guess at best, depending on the angular scale of our field of view, which is imprecisely known (though we could figure it based on the current star field). There's simply no solid basis to insist that we know a single day of the year, based on an assumption of which planet we're looking at and a guess at angular separation.

And since we don't know the date and therefore the season, I think trying to figure out our latitude is also going to be a guess at best. Speculation based on the range of the boabab trees and other distinctive plants is still our most likely path.

Other than that, you all have been very entertaining, please carry on. :)

Good points.

By my measurements, the sun and planet number one (green circle) are the same distance as alpha Aretis and beta Pegasi, which are 25 degrees apart. This rules out Mercury. Regarding magnitude, I don't think you can rule out any of the other 4, since we don't have a good pixel to magnitude scale. But there's something else...!!

I may have missed the conversation about it, but did anyone else notice the second planet in Aquarius?! (yellow circle in pic below). It is almost certainly Mars (possibly Saturn), given that it appears to have the same magnitude as theta Scorpii and epsilon Sagittarii (both in red), which are 1.9 and 1.8 visual magnitude, respectively. Saturn has a minimum visual magnitude of 1.47 and Mars of 1.84. All the other planets are way too bright. So it must be Mars. Given the difference in brightness between Mars and the other planet, and the fact that if it is Saturn or Jupiter, the other (green) planet is on the far side of the Sun, I'd want to rule out Saturn, which would be near its dimmest. So, I'm leaning toward Jupiter for the green planet, though, of course, it could be Venus, too.
Star Map:
Spoiler:
2394-2464_stitch_sphere-planet2.png

edited for clarity
Last edited by VoronX on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”