1237: "QR Code"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1237: "QR Code"

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Alt Text: "Remember, the installer is watching the camera for the checksum it generated, so you have to scan it using your own phone."
I remember when IMDB had this for installing their app.

orangustang

Re: 1237: "QR Code"

Postby orangustang » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Someone get me two mirrors.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Please tell me the installing app isn't a QR code reader or timer display updater.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:15 am UTC

and that QR code is:

cincykid

Postby cincykid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Take a picture with another phone/camera/scanner/webcam and scan that image

The 12 seconds seems ridiculous, but it might as well have said '2 seconds' or 'virus installing...'

edit:

Perhaps the conundrum is that there is no option on the screen to 'capture image' or to scan any code

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 am UTC

sbkp wrote:and that QR code is:

He's getting very creative recently, with more and more of these strips which continue beyond the boundaries of a single static image.

I have no idea how he finds the time to come up with these concepts, considering that "Time" must be taking up an enormous amount of his, well, time at the moment.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Piece of cake - don't use the mentioned other phone to try to cheat, use it to take a picture of the code, then show it to the original device. I do hope it has proper macro though... Or, y'know, if you don't have any other phones at hand, you could always just find a suitable black hole to take a look at your own back & scan that troublesome QR code - whichever you find more convenient.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:08 am UTC

We just need to go into a hall of mirrors and just move around until the alignment works itself out.

SchighSchagh

Postby SchighSchagh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:41 am UTC

Is this comic a reference to some ridiculous app that tries to pull bullshit along these sorts of lines?

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:56 am UTC

I don't get the problem here.

I just tested and timed myself performing the following steps:

1. Take screenshot of comic
2. Open Qrafter app
3. Choose "Scan from photo album"
4. Choose the most recent image (the aforementioned screenshot)
5. Pinch-zoom the image so the code fits and fills the square window in the Qrafter app
6. Tap "Choose" and wait half a second for Qrafter to process the code
7. Tap "Open URL in Safari"

Total time elapsed: 11 seconds. And it fits the title text's requirement that the scan be performed on the same device as the install is taking place on.

So what's with all the posts about mirrors, taking photos with other devices, and black holes? :shock:

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:59 am UTC

jackal wrote:I don't get the problem here.

2. Open Qrafter app
5. Pinch-zoom the image so the code fits and fills the square window in the Qrafter app

Total time elapsed: 11 seconds. And it fits the title text's requirement that the scan be performed on the same device as the install is taking place on.

So what's with all the posts about mirrors, taking photos with other devices, and black holes? :shock:

Have you considered that according to the comic, the QR code appears on the screen of the very same mobile device that you're supposed to use to scan it...?

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:Have you considered that according to the comic, the QR code appears on the screen of the very same mobile device that you're supposed to use to scan it...?

Considered that? I did that!

I'm lying in bed here with nothing but my iPhone--not another electronic device within reach. And yet somehow, according to the instructions I posted just above, I was able to successfully do it.

I'm still unclear what the problem is...

Rory

Postby Rory » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am UTC

jackal wrote:I'm still unclear what the problem is...

Most QR Code scanner apps, at least as far as most of their users know, can only scan QR codes in real-time, using the camera on the back of the phone. However, if someone tries to do use the camera to scan the QR code on the screen, they will be trying to twist the phone around so that the back of the phone is looking at the front of the phone – and phones are not bendy enough to do that.

Few users know how to take a screenshot on their phone, let alone scan a QR Code from a saved image. And it is unlikely that one could come up the idea for another workaround and also implement it within 12 seconds.

Greyjoy

Postby Greyjoy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 am UTC

Considered that? I did that!

I'm lying in bed here with nothing but my iPhone--not another electronic device within reach. And yet somehow, according to the instructions I posted just above, I was able to successfully do it.

Are you being facetious or autistic? Was the total time elapsed including your decision to try and beat an arbitrary time stated in the comic to prove a point? If it requires such a large suspension of belief to picture a world in which most smartphone users do not react to an extremely short countdown as if given a challenge, just pretend it says eight seconds. Now is it funny?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:57 am UTC

I don't think the time limit is just 12 seconds. The timer is already in progres...

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:46 am UTC

SchighSchagh wrote:Is this comic a reference to some ridiculous app that tries to pull bullshit along these sorts of lines?

What he said.

Also:
Quicksilver wrote:I remember when IMDB had this for installing their app.

How would that even work? I mean, I get the joke, but how could it possibly be the case in the real computing world that some programmer would be dumb enough to set this up? How DID the IMDB installer work?

*Tips hat to greyjoy* Hello, elder!
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:27 am UTC

Wildcard wrote:
SchighSchagh wrote:Is this comic a reference to some ridiculous app that tries to pull bullshit along these sorts of lines?

What he said.

Also:
Quicksilver wrote:I remember when IMDB had this for installing their app.

How would that even work? I mean, I get the joke, but how could it possibly be the case in the real computing world that some programmer would be dumb enough to set this up? How DID the IMDB installer work?

*Tips hat to greyjoy* Hello, elder!
One thing I've learned about IMDB: They're about 10 years behind everyone else. They only overhauled their system recently, and even now you still can't post images in posts.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 am UTC

Can anyone recommend a program (preferably Linux, but Windows will do) that will read a QR code from an image file?

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 am UTC

jackal wrote:I don't get the problem here.

2. Open Qrafter app

Great! Now explain how that helps you scan the QR code in the app that's displaying it.

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am UTC

This comic isn't funny.

kingsparrow

Postby kingsparrow » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:12 am UTC

How can a flame war start over a comic so simple?
I enjoyed the quirky thought presented in this comic.
I also think it is pretty cool how xkcd continues to evolve, pushing the realm of online comics. It used to only be on April 1st we would see these clever interactive comics. Now they seem to be popping up every couple of weeks.

Sabbede

Postby Sabbede » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Beautiful.

Perhaps its because I just woke up, but when I scanned the code my reaction was... overwhelming. Or possibly explosive. Exuberant?

I startled my dog.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Knowing this crowd, I wonder who will get their app accepted by Apple and into the App Store first.

Bossi

Postby Bossi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 am UTC

CONTINUE READING CAN THIS CODE

:)

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:Knowing this crowd, I wonder who will get their app accepted by Apple and into the App Store first.

Screw Apple, I want that app (and a QR scanner that can read from screen shots) in the 'droid PlayStore!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Arky wrote:
sbkp wrote:and that QR code is:

He's getting very creative recently, with more and more of these strips which continue beyond the boundaries of a single static image.

I have no idea how he finds the time to come up with these concepts, considering that "Time" must be taking up an enormous amount of his, well, time at the moment.

Not really -- he has a large team of trained molpies to turn out the frames. With Lucky overseeing them to make sure they don't slack off.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:
Carteeg_Struve wrote:Knowing this crowd, I wonder who will get their app accepted by Apple and into the App Store first.

Screw Apple, I want that app (and a QR scanner that can read from screen shots) in the 'droid PlayStore!

While we're at it, an Android app that not only emulates iOS but also spoofs AppleStore into believing your phone/tablet is an iOS dev so you can D/L and run AppleApps on Android :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Spoe

Postby Spoe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Front camera. Corner mirror. Done.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Greyjoy wrote:just pretend it says eight seconds. Now is it funny?

Yes, still funny.

Good grief, amazing how many people seem downright offended by this one.

Yes, people, it's funny. If you don't think it is, fine - no need to smash heads into pavement over it.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:Can anyone recommend a program (preferably Linux, but Windows will do) that will read a QR code from an image file?

I just installed zbar-tools (it's in the Debian repos). It seems to work ok - it had no problems extracting the code from http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/qr_code.png

I also installed qrencode, which creates QR codes from an arbitrary string. It gets the string from the command-line or stdin.

popman

Postby popman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:Can anyone recommend a program (preferably Linux, but Windows will do) that will read a QR code from an image file?

I always use this: http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx
I should probably come up with a script to do it automatically on images, or pester google to add it to the search by image function.
www.crashie8.com

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

CODE THIS READ TO TRYING TIME SOME LOST I

jackal

Postby jackal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Greyjoy wrote:Are you being facetious or autistic? Was the total time elapsed including your decision to try and beat an arbitrary time stated in the comic to prove a point? If it requires such a large suspension of belief to picture a world in which most smartphone users do not react to an extremely short countdown as if given a challenge, just pretend it says eight seconds. Now is it funny?

Most smartphone users? Sure. But I expected more out of the XKCD crowd.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

I was assuming that the installer app had claimed exclusivity, so you couldn't open another app at the same time the installer was running....

Sort of like the traditional "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."

Also, for the solution: let the installer fail, then figure out how to make it work, then run the installer again with your solution in place.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

hey forums.xkcd I need your help

I accidentally the QR Code

what should I do...is this dangerous?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

mystmouse

Postby mystmouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Well played, sir. Well played.

I have been trolled.
My forums have been trolled.

But this.... you trolled my QR Scanner App.

The internet belongs to you this day. Enjoy it well.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

neoliminal wrote:hey forums.xkcd I need your help

I accidentally the QR Code

what should I do...is this dangerous?

You the WHOLE QR code?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

lunarul

Postby lunarul » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

jackal wrote:I'm lying in bed here with nothing but my iPhone--not another electronic device within reach. And yet somehow, according to the instructions I posted just above, I was able to successfully do it.

Now try actually reading the alt text of the comic.
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:

I just installed zbar-tools (it's in the Debian repos). It seems to work ok - it had no problems extracting the code from http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/qr_code.png

I also installed qrencode, which creates QR codes from an arbitrary string. It gets the string from the command-line or stdin.

Chrom[e/ium] users can also check out the Chrome extension for picking Qr codes out of a web page. It doesn't look like ZBar has a GUI, unless I'm missing something, but QtQr does, and it picked out the Qr code from the comic image as readily as the Chrome extension did. It can also generate them, so that's cool. = )
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

I still don't get why anyone would freak out. If an app wants to be difficult, it can do that on a different smartphone. Also blacklist the company that made it.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”