Controversial opinions about food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pkcommando

Re: Controversial opinions about food

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Italian sausage is a blight upon the land and must be purged.

:shock:

BURN THE BLASPHEMER!!!

Unless you plan to replace it all w/ Greek sausage and bangers. I'd be okay w/ that, then. And I suppose chorizo is a good substitute for Italian sausage.

Alright, cancel the burning --- for now.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Italian ham is really, really good, but Italian sausage is merely overrated, not bad.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:22 am UTC

philsov wrote:Italian sausage is a blight upon the land and must be purged.

I love good Italian sausage...but that is like 1% of all Italian sausage. ~50% of Italian sausage is just very very very bad (esp. that produced in Italian-American areas for some reason), so I can see where you are coming from here.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:29 am UTC

I love italian sausage, but I agree it's not the best.

That title goes to linguica.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Italian ham is really, really good, but Italian sausage is merely overrated, not bad.

The Spanish do ham even better.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:I love italian sausage, but I agree it's not the best.

That title goes to linguica.

What?! Linguica is so boring. I was so excited when I moved here, "ooh, a new local form of sausage that is available on everything," but boy was I let down. The idea that linquica is good at all is a pretty controversial opinion! (So I guess you're in the right place.)

P.S. Chorizo is actually the best (not controversial).

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Depends on the chorizo. As a cooked sausage, it's pretty excellent, but in cold slices? I'd rather have a decent salami.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:16 am UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:P.S. Chorizo is actually the best (not controversial).

Winner
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

Salami is not food.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

That's baloney.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Mexican chorizo, ground and scrambled with eggs, is one of the best hangover cures money can buy.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

That is just plain factually incorrect. Eggs, breakfast sausage, hash browns, rye toast, and orange juice (might want to wait until you get some food down) is the best hangover cure. A cup of chicken broth before you eat can be a big help as well.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Do you not understand the structure, "one of the [superlative]", Thesh?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

He has brain worms, in case you forgot.
-Adam

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

I do, I just misread it. It's still wrong, however, because it doesn't contain potatoes.

Adam H wrote:He has brain worms, in case you forgot.

And I'm sure you are absolutely perfect and never make mistakes. :roll:

Being a douchebag about spelling or reading on the internet puts you somewhere between a telemarketer and a used car salesman in terms of social status.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

Hrm, I suppose this is the right thread to say:
Sausage, salami, balogna, hotdogs and everything else in the "meat ground up until you have no idea what it is" are totally unappealing. (Yes, I know this isn't saying much coming from a vegetarian, but I quit every one of those things years before I went veggie. Because no. Just no.)
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

I never got why the "you don't know what it is" factor grosses people out so much. Sure, I wouldn't want to eat something that might have bits of other animals in it besides the ones I knowingly pay for, but why should it matter what *parts* of said animals I'm eating?

Squeamishness about eating unidentified pig parts always struck me as a bit of a first-world problem, with Americans simply being spoiled by the sheer number of animals we can slaughter to serve only their choicest parts.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Sandry wrote: "meat ground up until you have no idea what it is"

That's the only kind of meat I'm willing to consume.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Actually, yeah, there is something to be said for that attitude. There are some parts, such as tripe and subcutaneous fat and tails, which I avoid eating in recognizable form mostly because of the texture. If you can get rid of that by grinding it into a paste with a bunch of other parts, then I'm good to go.

(Also, I can be convinced to eat it if it's in the form of a sufficiently delicious stew.)
---

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Is there greater concern of transmittable pathogens in certain parts? Like, I wager tripe carries one type of parasite more frequently than flank steak does.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Mostly it's randomly mixed up scrap made into ground meat that has the greatest chance of being contaminated. I like to buy chuck when it's on sale and grind my own when possible.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:There are some parts, such as tripe and subcutaneous fat and tails, which I avoid eating in recognizable form mostly because of the texture. If you can get rid of that by grinding it into a paste with a bunch of other parts, then I'm good to go.

Enjoy your pink slime.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

I'm not saying it's appetizing when it's in that form, but then raw chicken meat isn't especially so, either. Or raw swine belly, come to that, and yet bacon is amazing.
---

(he/him/his)

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 am UTC

I heard someone doesn't like Italian sausage.

Somebody has never had a scotch egg! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am literally the only person in my household who likes scotch eggs in spite of the gastric trouble they can bring to the unsuspecting.

But if that happens to you, all you have to do is cut it in half, spoon out the yolk, and replace with your favorite condiment.
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Beets are fucking awesome.

Everybody I know hates them.

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 am UTC

sparkyb wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:There are some parts, such as tripe and subcutaneous fat and tails, which I avoid eating in recognizable form mostly because of the texture. If you can get rid of that by grinding it into a paste with a bunch of other parts, then I'm good to go.

Enjoy your pink slime.

I've never understood the fuss about pink slime. Oh no, the meat companies are being unwasteful!

I love these mystery meats for their ability to take questionable bits of the animal and turn them into something palatable; there's only so much steak you can get from one steer. Then again, I like tripe and whatnot on their own, too. Mm. I'm thinking tacos for dinner.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Because it's nicknamed "pink slime." The media loves to scare people; it gets everyone glued to their TVs. And no, there is absolutely nothing wrong with offal in general, but some offal from some animals can be toxic (liver can have toxic concentrations of vitamin A); mixing offal with meat in sausage form is a good way to reduce those risks.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

I agree it's a practical thing to do. I just also have a high correlation from the past of eating things made of meat I couldn't identify and having my stomach kind of hate me. In particular, hot dogs invariably made me feel like shit. I guess I would put it under "learned squeamishness." Sausage and pepper sandwiches used to be one of my favourite things, but after a certain number of times of feeling awful after eating them, they're no longer appealing.

I'm a lot more willing to deal with unidentifiable vegetable mass, though, I'll admit.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

Thesh wrote: (liver from predatory animals can have toxic concentrations of vitamin A)

And you also need to eat quite a lot of it. The only cases of liver-related-vitamin-A-poisonings are from people eating wolves and polar bears.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

Somebody has never had a scotch egg!

Never even heard of such a thing.

Based on what Wikipedia tells me, it sounds awesome though. I like most sausages; but somewhere between the spices and ingredients the 'italian' variety (like the kind one fights on pizza) is revolting.

Also -- beets are awesome, and red-colored pee is fun.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Thesh wrote: (liver from predatory animals can have toxic concentrations of vitamin A)

And you also need to eat quite a lot of it. The only cases of liver-related-vitamin-A-poisonings are from people eating wolves and polar bears.

While it's true that carnivores develop significantly higher concentrations, it's also a matter of the age of the animal and how often you eat liver. Vitamin A doesn't easily leave your system, so older animals will have higher concentrations of vitamin A. In the same way, consuming a lot of liver from older cattle for a matter of years could result in Vitamin A toxicity, but it's just unlikely that someone would do that (although it's probably much easier for young children). Even an ounce of young cow liver is well beyond the RDA of Vitamin A (just nowhere near enough to be toxic by itself).

Belial

Postby Belial » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Who makes scotch eggs out of italian sausage? I make mine out of breakfast sausage.

They/them

bouer

Postby bouer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Ammonium chloride is delicious. This is controversial where I live, and I'll never understand why.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

White button mushrooms smell like semen and I can't understand why people eat them, but am appreciative that former girlfriends did.

I also tune people out if someone start complaining about kosher/halal meat.

I have no problem with the infected nature of blue cheese, it's the appeal of the chalky nature that baffles me. Generally I don't care for cold cheese, which is a 180 from when I was a kid.

Probably not controvesial, but I think the only bad brassica is brussels sprouts. Too sweet.

I also don't mind mechanically recovered meat. After college, there were some periods where I was poor, and was frankly happy to have a little more meat. The other day, I went to McDonalds for the first time in ages, and I forgot how damn tasty mcnuggets are. Though it may be the slightly celery-ish tasty that adds something.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Cold pizza is amazing, especially as breakfast.

Controversial? Are you from Mars?
AngrySquirrel wrote:Piri piri is good.

Controversial? Are you from McMurdo?
Zohar wrote:I don't like eggplants. They always give me a burning sensation in my mouth. I think I might be allergic.

Controversial? Are you a villain from Kid Icarus?
Bigglesworth wrote:Strawberries from outside of England are usually awful.

lol
Nath wrote:there are bay leaves that actually taste of bay leaf. I just don't know where to find them locally.

Want me to mail you some?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Sometimes Aunt Jemima 100% artificial maple syrup is AMAZING,

Take it to the sexytimes thread, MJ
Adam H wrote:All mexican food is the same. And it's all delicious.

Who are you?

...wait a second, jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezuz how did I miss a thread in the Food subforum long enough for it to reach 5 pages I can't keep up this sort of prickish behavior for five pages are you even kidding me right now

EDIT: Took a shit, back in the game.

Wednesday wrote:Salt is a flavor enhancer

I love you?
Wednesday wrote:Baking does not require precise measurement, but cooking absolutely does.

I take it back? In what world is baking less sensitive to precision than other types of cooking? Or are you talking about "smoking the marijuana?"
Wednesday wrote:I know how binding agents work and the basic principles behind leavening and what you use to make it happen, so when I make pizza dough or something I just kind of throw olive oil in a bowl, and then flour, and then a bit of sugar and salt, and then water and yeast and I mix it up with my hands. I can sort of just tell when it's going to be too sticky, too dry, not oily enough, too salty/sugary...

So what you're saying is that you are good at precisely measuring the ingredients without using calibrated tools. This is not a lack of measurement. Please, make your bread with 15% more liquid and show us how unimportant measurement is in baking. Make a lemon meringue pie, blindfolded. Produce for me even one NY-style cheesecake without cracks.

Meanwhile I'll be over here, precisely measuring the volume of water I'll need for my soup, the proportions of meat and marinade I'll need for my grilled slab of protein, the crystal packing structure of cherry tomato halves in my green salad, the lbs of butter and cloves of garlic I'll need for my scampi, are these eggs really jumbo or are they more XXL because my three-egg omelette is serious business, shitting dicknipples Deirdre I said the 14.7-ounce can of garbanzo beans and you brought me the 15.5-ounce can of chickpeas again, I want a divorce
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

*claps hands ecstatically* Hallelujah! Preach it! :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:All mexican food is the same.
That is not a controversial opinion so much as a patently false claim of fact.
---

(he/him/his)

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So what you're saying is that you are good at precisely measuring the ingredients without using calibrated tools. This is not a lack of measurement.

So...uhh...what you just did was render invalid any sort of distinction between "measured" and "by eye/feel". Which, when the issue at hand is whether a process is one or the other, is a pretty silly thing to do.

They/them

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

He seemed to focus more on the precision part than the physically using a measuring device part. Because the chemistry of baking absolutely does require more precision in general than cooking does.
---

(he/him/his)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Which is why he is Bakemaster, and not just Chefprettygood.

Return to “Food”