1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CasCat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Lawsome wrote:I WILL GETT THIS ONG I MUST GET THIS ONG.

Spoiler:

EDIT: I got this ong!

Yeah, Lawsome! Cake!

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

floppy_gunk

Postby floppy_gunk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I was about to get the ONG, and then realised I don't know how to post images... How do you do it?

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

Thanks for the fill-ins. And did anyone manage to make headway on the language? We weren't presented with very much of it, unfortunately.

I am reading the past newpages while I keep up with the current ones. I left around... I don't recall. It was a long time ago, perhaps even before Megan injured her leg.

Edit: I remember! It was when Night came, and they were sleeping in shifts while watching the Milky Way.
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Oh, hey! In all the commotion, we completely forgot that Cassini was taking a picture of Earth an hour ago.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

RunnONG.

Spoiler:

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Thanks for the fill-ins. And did anyone manage to make headway on the language? We weren't presented with very much of it, unfortunately.

Not really. We know words for "water" and (essentially) "ciao", but we don't know how they're pronounced. (Also, possibly, "antibiotic ointment" and "sea".)

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Oh, hey! In all the commotion, we completely forgot that Cassini was taking a picture of Earth an hour ago.

Strangely enough, Earth came out looking sort of sideways in the picture... :mrgreen:

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I still can't edit my posts.
Happened to me too. Dunno the issue, but sometimes logging in again (from the page you want to edit) helps. Especially if you have multple tabs open.

@Selcouth: I remember you for sure - you were one of my first BlitzGirls! A lot has happened, the Order of the Holy Contradiction is going to have to convene!

ggh wrote:It's Jose's descendants!

:)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Qalyar wrote:Fluid dynamics isn't that tidy, though, especially if the rate of flow across the barrier into the Tyrrhenian basin does not exceed the rate of flow from the Atlantic into the Balearic Abyssal Plain through Gibraltar (which it won't). The water level in the Balearic will continue to rise even above the breaching level of the Tyrrhenian because the input "backs up", basically. Floods are weird. Life on the Balearic plain is going to get very bad (and very wet) long before the water level between the Balearic and Tyrrhenian basins equalizes.

Yes, exactly. Now, IF the breaching point gets broader quickly enough as a function of altitude, then the breach can rapidly become quite wide, like water spilling over the entire side of a bathtub at once, at which point the outflow can get up close to the inflow, but it isn't clear how exactly that will happen.

Actually, I'm not sure that the water level in the Balearic wouldn't continue to rise above the water level in the Tyrrhenian even if the interbasin flow rate exceeded the intake from the Atlantic. Normally, we can think of bodies of water as having a flat surface, but on this scale, we're virtually guaranteed anisotropy (just as the ocean isn't completely level, even ignoring wave and tidal action). How the water level at any given point in the Balearic basin would respond to the breaching of the Tyrrhenian would be a complicated scenario involving features of the basins' bathymetry, the respective flow rates, and large-volume hydrodynamics way, way above my pay grade. In particular, the northern lobe of the Balearic has no direct outlet to the Tyrrhenian until vastly higher water levels; if the Atlantic influx spreads out largely evenly after passing the Gilbraltar Strait, some of the water will be "stuck" without egress even as the Tyrrhenian drains water from the southeast.

Regardless, I don't think the eventual Tyrrhenian outlet is a silver bullet ... nor do I actually think that breach will occur until the water level in the Balearic is high enough to make it moot for our heroes (this is called the Balearic Abyssal Plain for a reason).

HES

Keep calm and carry ong

Postby HES » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:Also, whoever runs the wiki should probably add a new page for alt-text listing the above changes and newpix ranges. Currently the only mention of alt-text is on the Wait For It page.

Also also, I'd like to express my gratitude to whoever runs the wiki. It's a great resource. I've been pointing Redditors from /r/xkcd towards it lately.

You know, the great thing about a wiki is that everyone can edit it. (admittedly I still haven't got round to adding the bits I planned to, but we can't keep leaving it to the same two people)

TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

He forgot flowers, so is running to the store...

mscha wrote:(That was not fun, actually. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to quit the OTT. (Not kidding.) It doesn't help that many people have apparently stopped reading and are just posting – so we get 10 messages saying the exact same thing, like “OMR, the alt text changed”.)

Even as someone with literally no other commitments I'm struggling to keep up. I don't know how the employed manage - and so many are stuck in the past (and forced to blindpost what has already been said). Randall's thrown a lot at us recently - lets hope it settles down again over the weekend
He/Him/His Image

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:@Selcouth: I remember you for sure - you were one of my first BlitzGirls! A lot has happened, the Order of the Holy Contradiction is going to have to convene!

Why, what's happened? *polishes sword*

If their location is circa the Mediterranean, their language should have some roots in Greek, Italian, or French, no? Although all of those use a Latin or Greek (and thus easily recognizable) alphabet. Perhaps this is a nomad group?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:If their location is circa the Mediterranean, their language should have some roots in Greek, Italian, or French, no? Although all of those use a Latin or Greek (and thus easily recognizable) alphabet. Perhaps this is a nomad group?

It's possible, but that doesn't mean you'd be able to recognize it. And I kind of actually doubt Greek would survive as a spoken language that long anyway, although scholars of the deep past would probably learn it from time to time.

I would say that if the story is based on current demographics, the local languages are likely to be of any number of origins. Based on the location near the Balearic Islands, I'd guess the proto-language is likely a dialect of Spanish with some Catalan and English influences. French could also be an ancestral language, which would make "Beanish" essentially post-post-post-French.

However, there are other possibilities. One could reasonably assume that as the Mediterranean dried up, speakers of Maghrebi Arabic dialects (and possibly Berber languages, if they weren't subsumed by Arabic) would have diffused across the coastal plain. Although the Gibraltar River provides a substantial natural barrier, there's no reason to think that the substrate language is anything that exists now at all, but perhaps a pidgin of Spanish, French, English, and Arabic.

Or, you know, it could just be Dutch.

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:
ucim wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:@Selcouth: I remember you for sure - you were one of my first BlitzGirls! A lot has happened, the Order of the Holy Contradiction is going to have to convene!

If their location is circa the Mediterranean, their language should have some roots in Greek, Italian, or French, no? Although all of those use a Latin or Greek (and thus easily recognizable) alphabet. Perhaps this is a nomad group?

With a 10,000 year estimated time jump? Impossible to assume. After all, the same amount of time into the past puts us before the invention of writing -- at least a thousand years before even protowriting like the Vinča symbols -- and thousands of years before even the emergence of Proto-Indo-European. Especially if there's been, as seems likely, an intervening global catastrophe that resulted in widespread loss of knowledge and communication, there's no reason to expect that the language of 13,000 AD would be recognizable to us, much less comprehensible.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Mscha: Could you comment on the most recent mustard cleanup M2466? when was it?
Kieran: (if you get this) are you still updating the credits?

Pagepope for my 300th post? seems appropriate.
Decree: everyone makes their own decree and follows it.
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Why, what's happened? *polishes sword*
The Greatest Commandment of All Time has been superseded by the One True Author, who issued a new decree. Being as this fundamentally changes the True Faith of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, we must seek to divine what it means.

edit: That is pretty auspicious for my 800th post.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

edo wrote:300

Happy 300th (in the OTT). Here's some cake (spoilered, it's larger than I thought):
Spoiler:
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

We've asked ourselves this question before, but recent events have made me wonder again: did the Great Lord Randall, Creator of Time, create the plot for the story of Time in advance, or is He making it up as He goes along?
When Cuegan started building a sandcastle on the beach, did He already know where it was taking place? Did He have a Zanclean flood in mind?

I'm guessing the latter – He's making it up as He goes along.
I think He just started off with the Beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it up and where to go.
When He was pretty much done with the castle, He sent Cueagan on a trip to find out why the sea was rising (which might even have been an accident – He needed something to make frames unique, even when Cuegan weren't around and building stuff), probably not knowing Himself what they'd find.
The Grandidier's Baobabs were ⁷, but He'd probably not have put them in if He already knew that they were just off the (current) coast of the French Riviera.
Eventually, He came up with the Zanclean flood – perhaps even inspired by the OTT (various people ninja'd the OTC, as I posted earlier todix).

How long will Time go on? As long as the GLR is inspired, I think. (And perhaps as long as He has an audience – us.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mittagleffler

Postby mittagleffler » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

** Blindposting **

Wooa! I've been on vacation for a wip or so and couldn't help myself from sneaking a peek into the future present. So amazing! Can't wait to get there.

And yes, I was slightly worried that the End of Time had come without me noticing it, but now I can relax knowing that my work will still be inefficiently performed.
Waiting.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

1139 flash msg dm, 320976 (ucim), 800
Spoiler:

ende.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
Selcouth wrote:
ucim wrote:

With a 10,000 year estimated time jump? Impossible to assume. After all, the same amount of time into the past puts us before the invention of writing -- at least a thousand years before even protowriting like the Vinča symbols -- and thousands of years before even the emergence of Proto-Indo-European. Especially if there's been, as seems likely, an intervening global catastrophe that resulted in widespread loss of knowledge and communication, there's no reason to expect that the language of 13,000 AD would be recognizable to us, much less comprehensible.

Ah. I didn't factor in a time jump, yeah. Is 10000 years a random figure, or did we decide on that somehow?

Hmm. I agree with the guy above you that mentioned Catalan influences, but the fact that the writing system is almost completely alien (though, if it's roughly phonetic, it could have ties to Arabic) suggests that it's not a conglomeration/evolution of current (our-time) present languages. I would argue that it's a language that somehow completely evolved out of the dust, where its aural component could be related to existing languages but its written component is either entirely new or has changed extremely significantly.

Or it's a constructed language.

What about the way the leader speaks to Cueball and Megan? I keep thinking that's somehow a hint into the way native speakers of that language process and output meaning, but if that's a look into her brain when speaking English, it is honestly not much distinct from any person's brain (extrapolated from my example) when speaking a foreign language.

The fact that her communication is getting (visibly) clearer, however, suggests that she has spoken English before, and was rusty at it (i.e. hasn't for a long time) but is now recalling her skills. Why would she have spoken English before? Perhaps she communicated with the people of the hills, or something of that sort? I considered her tribe being part of the people of the hills once, but if that was recent enough for the leader to retain English, the natives should have had some minor grasp of English as well, or the tribal language would be some pidgin of English and the unknown language.

ucim wrote:
Selcouth wrote:Why, what's happened? *polishes sword*
The Greatest Commandment of All Time has been superseded by the One True Author, who issued a new decree. Being as this fundamentally changes the True Faith of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, we must seek to divine what it means.

edit: That is pretty auspicious for my 800th post.

Jose

Ah, yes, I noticed that. I suspect it simply means that, Time being the most important thing in this thread, we must no longer while away Time waiting for things to come to us, but run in order to preserve it, lest we miss things.

-Randall Munroe

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I'm guessing the latter – He's making it up as He goes along.
I think He just started off with the Beach scene, and had no idea how long He'd keep it up and where to go.

Some counter evidence appears, I guess while you were away. While they were swimming there was apparently a small tremor that destroyed a bit of their sand castle. Compare frames 171 and 172. I forget now who caught this and there are too many pages to search now to refresh my memory. Just a bit later we notice the sea rising. The hypothesis is that a distance quake opened the gates.

ETA. It was neopifex at {1141} or a bit before
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

edo wrote:Mscha: Could you comment on the most recent mustard cleanup frame 2466? when was it?

A few icositetranewpix after the frame was originally posted. Shortly before I posted that it was fixed. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

mscha wrote:We've asked ourselves this question before, but recent events have made me wonder again: did the Great Lord Randall, Creator of Time, create the plot for the story of Time in advance, or is He making it up as He goes along?
When Cuegan started building a sandcastle on the beach, did He already know where it was taking place? Did He have a Zanclean flood in mind?

When He was pretty much done with the castle, He sent Cueagan on a trip to find out why the sea was rising (which might even have been an accident – He needed something to make frames unique, even when Cuegan weren't around and building stuff), probably not knowing Himself what they'd find.
The Grandidier's Baobabs were ⁷, but He'd probably not have put them in if He already knew that they were just off the (current) coast of the French Riviera.
Eventually, He came up with the Zanclean flood – perhaps even inspired by the OTT (various people ninja'd the OTC, as I posted earlier todix).

How long will Time go on? As long as the GLR is inspired, I think. (And perhaps as long as He has an audience – us.)

Perhaps, but here are a few points to consider (I just reviewed the early newpix to examine this hypothesis in light of recent events):

* As early as A172, they go for a swim, yet we don't see them swimming. That might have just been an artistic choice, but it had the effect of concealing the sea's hypersalinity.
* River discussion begins on A323. Seems odd for GLR to include this unless he already has "water behavior" in mind as a plot element.
* "I don't understand what the sea is doing" on A411. Construction of the ground-level sandcastle is done at this point, but next we move on to the platform phase; exploration doesn't come for quite a while yet.

Seems like he must have had some inkling of the larger plot in mind pretty early on. Some major elements (like the Beanies) could have been worked out later.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Some counter evidence appears, I guess while you were away. While they were swimming there was apparently a small tremor that destroyed a bit of their sand castle. Compare frames 171 and 172. I forget now who caught this and there are too many pages to search now to refresh my memory. Just a bit later we notice the sea rising. The hypothesis is that a distance quake opened the gates.

Naah, I read that. (I keught it all up.) I just don't think that's likely. There were more occasions where a tiny piece of sa(nd|lt)castle crumbled. And when I'm building a sandcastle and a piece falls off, it usually isn't caused by earthquakes or other tremors. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Ah. I didn't factor in a time jump, yeah. Is 10000 years a random figure, or did we decide on that somehow?

Some astronomy geeks figured that out.

Hmm. I agree with the guy above you that mentioned Catalan influences, but the fact that the writing system is almost completely alien (though, if it's roughly phonetic, it could have ties to Arabic) suggests that it's not a conglomeration/evolution of current (our-time) present languages. I would argue that it's a language that somehow completely evolved out of the dust, where its aural component could be related to existing languages but its written component is either entirely new or has changed extremely significantly.

Welllll... that would have been the ancestral language. Thousands of years later, those influences would be almost impossible to track without a lot of guesswork.

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:RUN could just be a message to blitzers! "Things are getting exciting in the present, get there faster!"

If you've posted messages in the past on this thread, the presence of that message in the signature file would retroactively travel throughout every page of the OTT where your messages have appeared, giving people playing ketchup a warning that the blitzing is now over, and it is time for swiftness and coming up to the present.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:

Also Cue has tasted the sea and commented that it has become fresher - for me, that's a proof that GLR planned it from the beginning.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
edo wrote:300

Happy 300th (in the OTT). Here's some cake (spoilered, it's larger than I thought):
Spoiler:

How sweet! A perfect likeness too!

WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:We've asked ourselves this question before, but recent events have made me wonder again: did the Great Lord Randall, Creator of Time, create the plot for the story of Time in advance, or is He making it up as He goes along?

Perhaps, but here are a few points to consider (I just reviewed the early newpix to examine this hypothesis in light of recent events):

* As early as A172, they go for a swim, yet we don't see them swimming. That might have just been an artistic choice, but it had the effect of concealing the sea's hypersalinity.
* River discussion begins on A323. Seems odd for GLR to include this unless he already has "water behavior" in mind as a plot element.
* "I don't understand what the sea is doing" on A411.

Seems like he must have had some inkling of the larger plot in mind pretty early on. Some major elements (like the Beanies) could have been worked out later.

Maybe. But I don't think they're very strong evidence – especially your first point. The other points certainly indicate that by that point, the GLR had decided to take the story further, but whether He had the current scenario in mind? Only Randall know. (And I doubt we'll ever find out.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Naah, I read that. (I keught it all up.) I just don't think that's likely. There were more occasions where a tiny piece of sa(nd|lt)castle crumbled. And when I'm building a sandcastle and a piece falls off, it usually isn't caused by earthquakes or other tremors. Image

Also, the shock wave from the earthquake would travel much faster than the water, wouldn't it? Especially if the channel started out narrow and had to dig itself wider. At their location, I'd think there would be a long delay (days? weeks?) from the triggering event until the water began rising noticeably. Certainly at least a few hours.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:Ah. I didn't factor in a time jump, yeah. Is 10000 years a random figure, or did we decide on that somehow?

There was the long night, during which the astronomy otters were able to fix the date and longitude fairly accurately. You should go back and look at the comic during that period, it was beautiful.
Anyway the consensus was approximately 13291 CE and around 40 degrees north latitude. This was before we had a map that we could match to the mediterranean.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

I had more artistic urges, so TIME for some fanart!
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
redundakitty9.jpg
redundakitty9.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 12841 times

RUN.png
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

edo wrote:WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)

Hebrew is probably a special case, given the central importance of the Torah and its study. I think that would tend to keep the language more or less stable, since most males (at least) study it for at least a while and there are many scholars. It is meticulously copied out, though errors are known to occur.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:It looks like if they run straight south they'll cut a quarter to a third off their distance...

But they must avoid rivers (difficult to cross) and the lowest altitudes (because of the flood). Somebody willing to bet for the safest path?

Why yes, yes I am.

This is probably the best way to see what is going on. The sea that Megball know is the blue-green layer that is mostly whited out, but you can see part of it going north along Corsica and west toward Majorca. The Megball tribe live about midway along that western extension, about where I put the blue star. Megball walked east along the shore and then turned up the river to eventually reach the Chateau d'Beanie, which I've marked with the black line. What the tribe wants to do is go straight through the hills (that rough texture you can see above the blue star) and up that ridge, following the red line. If they got enough warning, they would be able to walk it -- once you are into the yellow, the land rises steeply enough that it should be easy to keep ahead of the water. And while the peach patch will eventually fill into a bay, it has to fill the entire rest of the Med first, so they'd have plenty of time to stroll across to the Chateau.

The problem is that by the time Megan and Cueball get back, their people will likely be stranded on one of the taller hills rather than the ridge itself, and while they presumably can build rafts, they won't know which way to go to be safe.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:I have now determined that nobody remembers me. 'Kay.

All the slang has changed in this thread!

Can someone fill me in, has their location been pinpointed yet?

I remember you! I made you a hat, I remember all my hat people! I just never post anymore cuz I'm too busy reading! Well, Ok, I shouldn't say "never," but not much.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

⁴, yappo! Image

charlie_grumbles wrote:
edo wrote:WRT languages: Hebrew hasn't changed much in 5000 years right? Just a bunch of loanwords added? I think written (and studied) languages will have a much longer shelf life. English might be well studied due to the preponderance of it in "ancient texts" (hey my ancient texts were in English! How fortuitous!)

Hebrew is probably a special case, given the central importance of the Torah and its study. I think that would tend to keep the language more or less stable, since most males (at least) study it for at least a while and there are many scholars. It is meticulously copied out, though errors are known to occur.

Also, I believe (but haven't checked the wikis) that Hebrew was essentially a dead language for a couple of millennia, and only when Israel was founded, it was actively used again.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC

HurryONG.

libra

Postby libra » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 am UTC

And at a fair clip, now.

I just want to see what awaits them when they get topside.
Last edited by libra on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Wow, I always thought the alt-text would change only at the very end.

OK, so we've had the Council of Elrond. I guess that now we've finally had the End of Act 1, and now commences Act 2.

Oh, and the idea that the tiny bit of castle crumbling was an earthquake opening the gate is preposterous. The sea must have been rising, and the Beanies doing their surveys and reaching conclusions about the shoreline, for much longer than the time it took Cueball and Megan to build a sandcastle and walk a few hundred kilometres.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
mscha wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:

Also, the shock wave from the earthquake would travel much faster than the water, wouldn't it? Especially if the channel started out narrow and had to dig itself wider. At their location, I'd think there would be a long delay (days? weeks?) from the triggering event until the water began rising noticeably. Certainly at least a few hours.

I don't think we'll ever know, unless Randall tells us. There are writers of quite complicated novels that just charge in and make it up as they go.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”