1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jovialbard

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Looks like they won't be stopping at the wowterfall, they'd be taking a sharp left now and walking toward us if they were. Which would be a detour that they don't have time for, so I'm not surprised.

Edit: Viva El Presidente! Down with papal decrees! (I've been noticing less of them anyway, maybe the zombie will finally stay dead!)
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:
foilman wrote:DescendONG
Spoiler:

I thought Pricklymolp might be hiding in the shadows, but upon further examination that's just the rocks from the previous Pricklymolp encounter. Looks like there's a mysterious molpy disappearance...

ETA: Um...hm. Papal decree...Cuegan's reluctance to swim in the river makes sense if they're used to "swimming" in Dead Sea like conditions. They've probably experienced what it's like to have any sort of an open sore in such a body of water (hint: it's blindingly painful). The continuing rise of sea level is likely to give Cuegan some nasty problems soon; this map shows they're about halfway down to the elevation of the Wowtrees, and I'm guessing the water is about to the level of the dunes by now (at most).

Can't people float in the dead sea? Perhaps the Cueganites don't know how to actively keep themselves afloat.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I DECLARE THIS LEG AS HEALEDONG.
Spoiler:

There are several (well, at least 2) posts in which people state they are looking forward to seeing the new water level at the wowterfall.

I don't think so. This newpix is the wowterfall area and they don't appear to be stopping to take a look. Next NP we'll know for sure if we are going to get to see it or not.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

In a few NP, though, we might get a verbal update on the new sea level compared to A1798

Spoiler:

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Declaring it healed might be premature. She is in mid-air. She could break it again while landing. I think there will happen something with all that running.

About the waterfall. Cueball said in Frame m1944
Spoiler:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/1944

that he can't imagine how long such a waterfall must have taken to form. That was before the definitive map and strong date calculating of the stars. I guess, now we know.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

philip1201 wrote:Can't people float in the dead sea? Perhaps the Cueganites don't know how to actively keep themselves afloat.

Yep, that's pretty much what I thought back on NP566. The OTC doesn't loop, but the OTT does. :)

Prediction: In the next frame, they rush toward the waterfall to look at the water level. They don't manage to stop in time, so they fall in and drown. Thus ends Time.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Prediction:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Back to the Very Distant Future.png

Redundant McFly.png

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:How long can GLR keep this up?

The OTC is rapidly approaching 3000 newpix; in contrast, the regular xkcd strip is now at 1240, after 8 years. At this point, 'Time' comprises over 70% of Munro's lifetime output of panels.

I realize that there's a lot of recycling of backgrounds, and the drawing style is simple, but the OTT has required a > 50-fold increase in panel output.

That's a lot of work.

I'm of the opinion that the work was all complete on the date that the comic was initially released. He may have been working on it gradually over the last two years, or some other unknown amount of time.

I find it hard to believe that he would commit to an ongoing project of this magnitude with updates going out every hour. Any surprises in his personal life would leave the comic stalled, and I doubt if he would want that given his general commitment to quality and timely updates.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

Montov wrote:Declaring it healed might be premature. She is in mid-air. She could break it again while landing. I think there will happen something with all that running.

It seems quite certain that she never had any broken bones, so I don't think landing is much concern.

If muscle tissue was torn, she certainly risks re-aggravating it though right? Not a doctor but running and jumping seems like a terrible idea for Megan.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

Just noticed, OTC is 17 weeks old. I worked out a while ago that it needs to reach 31 weeks in order for XKCD to have the most comics (counting each frame as a comic) of any webcomic ever. The current record holder is Kevin and Kell which has had daily comics since 1995/09/19 (6516 to date). I hope OTC is still going on 2013/10/27 so it can break that record.

Maths to be checked
Spoiler:
Where w = weeks from today, K=total Kevin and Kell comics and X=total XKCD
K=6156+7w
X=(1240+2996)+(3+168)w=4236+171w
X=K
4236+171w=6156+7w [subtract 4236 from both sides]
171w=2280+7w [subtract 7w from both sides]
164w=2280 [divide both sides by 164]
w=13 37/41

Meaning XKCD will be the larger comic in about 14 weeks, right?

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:I'm of the opinion that the work was all complete on the date that the comic was initially released. He may have been working on it gradually over the last two years, or some other unknown amount of time.

I find it hard to believe that he would commit to an ongoing project of this magnitude with updates going out every hour. Any surprises in his personal life would leave the comic stalled, and I doubt if he would want that given his general commitment to quality and timely updates.

Perhaps; but there are many otherothercomics which have updated on a rock-solid regular schedule for years and years without a hiccup. In the case of Schlock Mercenary, for instance, the author occasionally mentions the depth of his buffer, which I think is around 2-3 weeks.

The most impressive instance I know of is Bad Machinery. The author has released 4 updates per week (used to be 5/week I think?) for years and years, each a full page with many panels, in color, new dialogue and different background each panel, etc. Probably more sustained output/day than Time by many measures, though certainly not including the same level of background research. (ETA, for clarity: Time has many more panels per day, but the total amount of "new drawing" per day is usually not very high. Until recently at least.)

So it's a good idea to keep a few weeks ahead, but it's not necessary to complete the whole thing in advance.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:

The OTC is rapidly approaching 3000 newpix; in contrast, the regular xkcd strip is now at 1240, after 8 years. At this point, 'Time' comprises over 70% of Munro's lifetime output of panels.

I realize that there's a lot of recycling of backgrounds, and the drawing style is simple, but the OTT has required a > 50-fold increase in panel output.

That's a lot of work.

I'm of the opinion that the work was all complete on the date that the comic was initially released. He may have been working on it gradually over the last two years, or some other unknown amount of time.

We have had short delays when important things are happening (like the map reveal I believe), as if He's trying to finish the panel before releasing it. I think He's always had a general idea about the story or setting but has been drawing it in batches as Time goes on.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:In a few NP, though, we might get a verbal update on the new sea level compared to A1798

A1800/M1797
Go Minim go!

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

foilman wrote:SavONG the wildlife
I'm not convinced it can... (or will)

I molpied up this mornix to see this frame in the OTC, and in my mental fog, thought that Megan and Cueball were splitting up to go different ways to alert more people. It took me a minute to realize the tilt of Cueball's head, and that he was warning the pricklymolp. For which the pricklymolps in my avatar thank him.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Nilpferdschaf wrote:WE ARE (TEACHERS)(LEARNERS)(SCIENTSTS)
THIS FORTRESS SWARMS WITH (TEACHERS)(LEARNERS)(SCIENTISTS)
AND I AM THEIR LEADER (RULER)

I guess that means the words for teacher, student and scientist are the same in Beanish? Interesting, it says a lot about their culture if they don't make a distinction between them.

I suspect it means more like they're very similar in Cueganish, so close that it's hard to tell which one someone with a heavy accent is saying.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

That's a lot of work.

No, we've seen evidence GLR made batches after the initial frames. For a while the frames' metadata displayed the actual date he made them.

I think he initially thought he'd do a slow-paced comic with a really simple plot (sandcastles), and when he found out Time had a huge success he thought of a more developed story.

Montov wrote:Declaring it healed might be premature. She is in mid-air. She could break it again while landing. I think there will happen something with all that running.

Spoiler:

that he can't imagine how long such a waterfall must have taken to form. That was before the definitive map and strong date calculating of the stars. I guess, now we know.

Well, her leg has never been broken, only bitten. Landing wouldn't be a problem, aside from pain.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

It took Cuegan 861 newpix to get from the tiny river to the castle. To get back from the castle to the tiny river took them 58 newpix. Almost 15 times as fast (although most of that is the OTC, not Cuegan, speeding up).

I think it's too early to say that they won't have a look at the ⁷terfall. But we'll know for sure in about 0.1 newpix.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

I've been using neat as my main adjective recently. All follow the comic of Time!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

gga2

Postby gga2 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:I think he initially thought he'd do a slow-paced comic with a really simple plot (sandcastles), and when he found out Time had a huge success he thought of a more developed story.

That was my take since the beginning. I starred the RSS feed, and looked at it every few days, but fell off my radar after a few weeks of sandcastle building. I came back a week ago and was (happily) surprised how different of a path it has taken!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It took Cuegan 861 newpix to get from the tiny river to the castle. To get back from the castle to the tiny river took them 58 newpix. Almost 15 times as fast (although most of that is the OTC, not Cuegan, speeding up).

I think it's too early to say that they won't have a look at the ⁷terfall. But we'll know for sure in about 0.1 newpix.

!? :shock: OK, some serious Time compression must be happening here. That definitely makes it very hard to determine how much time in Time is actually passing during their descent, for I find it difficult extremely difficult to believe that Cuegan can keep up a pace that is roughly 15 times faster than their ascent.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

removed miscopied ong
Last edited by SPACKlick on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Re: Squeezing the bottle to get the last bits out

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:How come the salty water is flowing back now? There must be some effect we are not considering.

Also, if the salinity of the Mediterranean sea was increased slowly enough it might not effect sealife too much. A higher salinity would mean the return pipe doesn't have to be 1 km deep.

The water is flowing west because it is heavier than the water there (more dense). So the water in the atlantic tends to float over the denser water (i.e. east) and the denser water tends to sink under the lighter water to its west. In effect, the denser water just flows downhill as it would in air, but not as quickly since it is lighter water and not very much lighter air to the west.

Do you want to bet an ecosystem on your guess about the rate of increase of salinity? Especially if you don't allow for in and outmigration of the wildlife?

Yes, higher salinity would been less depth, but it would have to be a lot to be very significant and then the ecosystem dies.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:ONG6

It's not a contest, you know. Take some time to come up with an appropriate ONG [edit – and to check if you're using the right URL, for chirp's sake]. ChirpONG comes to mind...

(Anyway, no ⁷terfall.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

The baby chirpies are learning to fly! They're going to make it! :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:The baby chirpies are learning to fly! They're going to make it! :D

Yay! Image
I think it's one parent (left, encouragingly CHIRPing) and one baby (like before), but it has certainly matured since the last time we saw them.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

GRIPONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
puddy.png
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:

Spoiler:

Well, her leg has never been broken, only bitten. Landing wouldn't be a problem, aside from pain.

I don't think she was even bitten. I thought she was scratched with claws as Lucky leaped by.

It was always my impression that the wound was not that severe, and that the biggest danger was infection.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:(Anyway, no ⁷terfall.)

AAAAhhhh!! But that was the perfect spot to make the turn south, and to see how far up the sea had gotten. Sit, take quick break, check the map and the sea level...

AAAAhhhh!!
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

[img ]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png[/img ]

SPACKlick, you used the spoiler URL for your ONG.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

Giant wave party pooper here again.

Others have cited studies of the Zanclean flood showing flow velocities exceeding 300km/h . Moving underneath the relatively still atmosphere, that will cause gynormous wind waves near the surface. While I expect some inflow/reflection waves will approach 500 to 1000 meter scale, they will be tsunami-slow, taking minutes to hours to rise and fall. The wind waves will have periods of seconds, and will be enormously violent. A Beaufort scale 12 storm has winds of 118 km/h and wave heights of 14 meters. Assuming the wave height is the square of the wind velocity, a 300km/h wind makes 90 meter waves. That will be true near Gibraltar for sure, probably also near giant whirlpools throughout the rising new sea, and in the tidal bores up the river valleys. Those waves will retard inland water surges shallower than a few hundred meters, big stuff not so much.

2.7e22 joules of infill energy - 50 years of current global energy production, 1.2 times global coal reserves, 5% of the Chicxulub impactor - is a crapton of energy. Expect friskiness.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
SPOILER

You've linked time.png, which will update and act as a spoiler for blitzers. It would be great if you could change it to the hash.png instead.
Last edited by Wildhound on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Angelastic wrote:The baby chirpies are learning to fly! They're going to make it! :D

Spoiler:

Yay! Image
I think it's one parent (left, encouragingly CHIRPing) and one baby (like before), but it has certainly matured since the last time we saw them.

It's subtle background cuteness like this that adds an extra .5 dimension to this comic...
He/Him/His Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Image

Spoiler:
puddy.png

<SNORK!>

Ok, that made me laugh out loud. At work. Had to disguise it as a coughing fit...
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I've been using neat as my main adjective recently. All follow the comic of Time!

Old joke from maybe the late '50s:
Grandma to granddaughter,"Dear, there are two words I really wish you wouldn't use. They are "neat" and "cool".
Granddaughter, "Ok, grandma. What are the words?"
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Ya know, tho', if Cuegan aren't careful, they may turn the wrong way at the lamppost, and end up popping out the wardrobe. In which case, by the time (oops) they find their way back, hundreds of years inside the OTC may have passed and all their efforts gone for naught.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Ya know, tho', if Cuegan aren't careful, they may turn the wrong way at the lamppost, and end up popping out the wardrobe. In which case, by the time (oops) they find their way back, hundreds of years inside the OTC may have passed and all their efforts gone for naught.

But then you'd have this http://xkcd.com/969/ in reverse.

Head-hurty question: What would be the speed of the water going OUT of the wardrobe should this happen?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
cellocgw wrote:Ya know, tho', if Cuegan aren't careful, they may turn the wrong way at the lamppost, and end up popping out the wardrobe. In which case, by the time (oops) they find their way back, hundreds of years inside the OTC may have passed and all their efforts gone for naught.

But then you'd have this http://xkcd.com/969/ in reverse.
Head-hurty question: What would be the speed of the water going OUT of the wardrobe should this happen?

My immediate reaction is that is would boil, but I'm sure that won't stand up to science
He/Him/His Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:In a few NP, though, we might get a verbal update on the new sea level compared to A1798

Spoiler:

There are 4 scenes in between those points. It could be the next newpix, because it is flat ground, and they are not stopping for the waterfall.

Then, 5/6 scenes later we have the location of the molpython.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

A1800/M1797

I am aware. This doesn't change the fact that, if the water rose enough, they would be able to tell. (Consider the extreme scenario where the water has risen to just below their feet! Then consider all the scenarios between.)

And since they stopped to comment before, their chances of stopping to comment again are at least a little bit higher than in other frames.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”